Vote Airport

Rhodes Airport

"queue to check in and get your bags weighed"

Perfect end to the holiday for an Englishman abroad. I don't think I will ever be able to repeat this queuing experience in such a short space of time. 1) Queue to check in and get your bags weighed, once you find the right queue of course. 2) Join another long queue for the security control bag drop. 3) Then upstairs, duty free bound, but no, another queue for the personal security check, duty free here I come. 4) No, queue for passport control. 5) Duty free, select items, then, you've guessed it, queue for the 1 till for the 20 customers. 6) Into the gate area, no queue, feeling let down, but hang on, another queue to scan the boarding passes when the flight is called. 7) Yes, another queue waiting for the bus, can it get any better. Then on the plane and on to Manchester where they need to learn a thing or two from the Greeks, no queues, very disappointed. One more thing to cap it all off, the tannoy in Rhodes airport was so bad that British Rail would have been proud of it, unintelligible squelch, you could just about hear the company. Most of the staff were as friendly as time allowed, obviously overworked and vastly understaffed. I do have to say that we had a wonderful weeks holiday, everybody was very friendly and pleasant. Would visit the island again if I didn't have to use this airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"don't want to go near Rhodes Airport again"

Of all the airports I have flown to or from over 50 years Rhodes Airport has to be one of the, if not the worst. Toilets are a disgrace. Checking in is so confusing. Had to take bags to another section as the belts weren't working. Shops are very poor. Long queues to get food and drink. I loved the island, the people and our hotel was fabulous, but I don't want to go near Rhodes Airport again. What made it worse was we got caught up in the sinkhole chaos so had a 24 hour delay.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"disgusted with lack of facilities"

Just arrived back from Rhodes, and disgusted with the lack of facilities and uncleanliness at this airport. On arrival we waited almost an hour to collect baggage after moving from one pick up point to another before they finally arrived. Departure fiasco just beggars belief! We had to queue for over half an hour to check in bags only to have to queue once again to pass the luggage through security. The airport toilet facilities are a complete joke. Urinals full to the brim, floors swimming in whatever, no soap or towels to dry, and hand dryers that just didn't work. The women's toilets were the same with added downside of no sanitary facilities and a general build up of waste in the bin provided - disgusting! Moving on from checking in and onto security was not much better. One member of staff was rude to fellow passengers who she claimed had not complied with rules regarding cabin luggage and told the said passengers: "Go home to your country. We don't want you here" - all well and good when you've spent a fortune on their island supporting their economy and jobs!
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"disgusted at the attitude of staff"

Having spent a fabulous holiday in Rhodes and been met with real friendliness by the local people, I was horrified and disgusted at the attitude of the Rhodes Airport staff. I forgot that there was a half used bottle of moisturizer in my hand luggage, which I accept was my fault, however the barrage of insults and abuse I received from the customs man was uncalled for and over the top. He screamed at me and when my young son became upset, he told him to shut up! I then went to the duty free shop and was in line to pay for my goods, the female cashier was rude and obnoxious to everyone in front of me, then followed it up with "have a nice flight" through gritted teeth (obviously told to say this yet not mean it). Having paid for my goods, I asked her if there was an ATM available, she replied abrubtly "no" I then asked if there was one anywhere in the airport and she replied "downstairs, you should have gone down there" she shot me a look of disgust and impatience then shoved my bag of goods roughly to the end of the counter. I have to admit that by that point I'd had enough and told her she was rude! She seemed taken aback, obviously not used to anyone challenging her rude behaviour and she asked me to repeat what I'd said. I did and told her that she was rude, to a round of applause from the people in the queue. The toilets were the worst I have ever witnessed, bunged up, doors with no locks, we were taking turns to hold the door shut for each other. It was a dirty, disgusting airport, with rude staff, minimum facilities. Considering the amount of holiday makers who pas through this needs to be addressed urgently. Finally, there were not enough seats and people were sitting on the floor having already queued for hours to check in due to disorganisation.

Rhodes Airport customer review

This has to be at the top of the 10 worst airports that we have experienced around the world. I know that the Greek economy is in the mire at the moment, but looking at reviews of this airport done nearly 10 years ago, the same conditions prevailed, so they reap what they sow. I would never return to use this airport again. Usual airport business of baggage handling - waited ages for arrival of our cases and on departure had to queue to bag drop, but then had to join another queue to place bags in x-ray. Passenger facilities were abysmal - toilets had a very strong stench - there was no A/C in the building and on a 90 degree day that is not great! There were seats for about 50% of the passengers waiting to depart - there were long queues for everything, yet there was a state-of-the-art duty free shop.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Rhodes Airport customer review

Arrival 3.00am. Disgusting toilets. Some problems over luggage delivery but a word to a member of staff did sort this out. Otherwise, quick and straightforward. Departure 22.00: We didn't have to queue but courier mentioned chaos ruled about one hour before so extra gates had been opened. Rather confusing to have to book in and then queue again to send your luggage through. Toilets are awful! No toilet seats, door locks broken or missing, no soap, no paper towels and driers not working - not too clean either. The nastiest loos we encountered in Rhodes. The usual duty free shop. Catering poor and expensive with indifferent service, so take snacks with you. Lacking in organisation at the gates but take off on time.
Date VisitJune 2015

Rhodes Airport customer review

Queued for 2 hours to get onto Thomson flight to Glasgow. Nearly a riot when Glasgow bound passengers called forward as running out of time. Would be a joke if wasnt so dangerous. Wheelchair passengers waiting 2 hours in non air conditioned Greek summer. Avoid at all costs.
Date VisitJune 2015

Rhodes Airport customer review

My main concern are the state of the toilets for ladies and children. They are absolutely disgusting some with broken toilet seats some don't have any toilet seats flushes not working no toilet paper doors broken and not able to close and certainly no locking toilet doors. The smell is awful. No soap and broken hand dryers. We have used this airport in the last 2 years 4 times and nothing changes! The queuing downstairs at the checking in desk is very frustrating - then to queue again to put suitcases through the scanner it's madness. Passport control is not much better. I think it is time for passengers to be treated in a reasonable respectable way.

Rhodes Airport customer review

Luckily no queues to check in at 11pm but what a pain taking your case elsewhere for it to be scanned. At Glasgow on way out cases were weighed individually as well as hand luggage. In Rhodes both cases on side by side with one resting on metal at side of belt hence not an accurate weight. Only reason she wanted them up was so labels could be attached. She could not have cared less about size or weight of hand luggage. Passports and security no problem at that time of night. Toilets were worse than 3rd world. Smelly no hand dryers working and towels long since finished. Thank god I am a man. My poor wife emptied a load of hand disinfectant gel onto her hands after her visit. Where are the restaurants? Where are the bars. Not enough seats people sitting on the floor etc. Rhodes is a lovely island so why spoil it all with so such a desperately poor airport.

Rhodes Airport customer review

Departing from Rhodes means more than 90 minutes to wrestle through 4 queue's (early October!). One to get your luggage labels one to get your luggage on the belt one to get through security and one to get into the bus to the plane. The men's toilet after passing security is the deepest level of Hell a man can get. Probably some man never returned from a visit and spent the rest of their life trapped in an odour I try to get out of my nostrils since my expedition into that room.