Punta Cana Airport

Facilities 12345

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th June 2015

Punta Cana airport is abysmal. We visited the DR on holiday and on arrival had to wait 2 hours to get through immigration and collect our bags. The whole process was poorly organized. Two weeks later after spending 90 minutes to check in, pay the US$20 exit charge, get through security, we found the departure lounge was packed with people not even being able to find a space on the floor to sit down. The queues in the Duty free and other shops were ridiculously long so that we decided not to make a purchase. Other people should consider doing the same until the airport gets its act together. The airport shop prices are also way higher than in the DR shops. For example, 375ml of Barceló Dominican Rum was being sold at our hotel for US$5, but exactly the same bottle was priced at $17 in the airport! Finally, it is true that the Dominican Republic is a poor country in which politeness and good customer service can be difficult to find. However, it is in the interests of employers involved with tourism, such as airports, to ensure that their staff are trained to understand these concepts.
Date Visit28-05-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th March 2015

Easily the worst airport I have had the misfortune to use. Stood in a queue for 2 hours to get through immigration. An utter disgrace. Never seen anything like it. Must have been 600 or more people in the queue constantly. What a welcome! It's a great country but if i had any choice i would enter via one of the other airports. By the time we got to the baggage hall we just managed to get our cases before they were wheeled off by an airport official. This is the primary entry airport for the country so they need to get their act together.

Review by (United Kingdom) 6th July 2014

Need to sort out the extremely slow and painful process with the entry requirements as even if you have completed the entry visa you wait behind travellers that have not bothered. The airport cannot cope with the amount of travellers. No warning that you cannot take e-cigs onto aircraft felt as if it was confiscated for personal gain rather than security issue. Rude and very inefficient.

Review by (Dominican Republic) 1st April 2014

Worst home coming experience ever. Felt like a tourist in my home country of Dominican Republic. Starting with NO proper immigration forms for Dominican Citizen. No line for Citizen or residents. Personnel were rude. I felt so uncomfortable that I will never use this airport again.

Review by (Canada) 4th January 2014

Beautiful airport with an interesting food court and lots of areas to relax both inside and outside the airport. Also very clean and the airport staff are helpful and polite.

Review by (United States) 24th April 2013

Easily one of my favorite airports out there arrival was smooth fastest customs and immigration affair I've dealt with and love the openness of the airport. Departure was smooth again friendly staff open-air and queue times were not that long (Granted that we were in the priority lane) Departure area was very unique there was AC in the gate our flight was assigned so that was good decent food options and love the open-air feeling of the terminal.

Review by (Canada) 17th December 2012

Porters are aggressive airport staff speak little to no English. Do not expect accurate information or reliable assistance. Waited at Immigration wicket "D" so the agent could send text messages on her phone. The food court has North American food choice terminal 2 is clean just remind yourself you are heading home and whatever inconveniences or irritations you find at this airport will be short lived.

Review by (United States) 19th November 2012

Our arrival at this airport was met by a group of very aggressive porters who all but took my luggage from my hands. The entry process was quick and almost comical as they only seem to be interested in the $10.00 entry fee. Pay quickly and move on! Our departure on the other hand was another story. While our Delta employee both at the counter and handling my husband's wheelchair were efficient and for the most part friendly the crowded terminal was ridiculous. There were too few seats and many people unwilling to remove baggage from the available seats so anyone could sit. There were many rows of only two or three people and a lot of baggage and packages where 6 or 8 people could have been sitting. When asked about the seats I was told they were not available! Someone in the terminal needs to monitor that situation.

Review by (United Kingdom) 3rd October 2011

Scheduled to fly Thomson/First Choice from this airport. Suffered a 5 hr delay due to a flight being cancelled the previous night due to technical problems. What was not acceptable was the lack of information available from Thomson no reps in sight they disappeared with the arriving holiday makers. The cancelled Manchester flights customers flew out on our scheduled flight so the notice boards showed our flight as having departed. When our flight finally started boarding we found out by word of mouth from other customers that the flight was boarding. Onboard cabin staff seemed grumpy and not quite as helpful as they have been on my previous flights with them. The plane we flew out on was the one that was scheduled to fly to Manchester the previous evening the inflight food tasted like it had been there since the previous flight. I had upgraded my seat and the food was worse than that normally served in the main cabin. You expect a little more.

Review by (Canada) 15th May 2011

After spending 8 hours trapped at the Punta Cana airport I feel that I have an intimate knowledge of the place. The choice of foods is ok but there are no healthy options. The prices in the duty free and gift shop are insane. As well I could not help but feel hussled by almost everyone there. The porters are overly aggressive and took by bag hostage until I tipped them. This was annoying as they grabbed my bag from our taxi before I was out of the taxi. When I was leaving the airport after a flight cancellation the porters tried to grab my bag from me. I had to grab my bag back from them. With regard to the delay it was next to impossible to find out what was happening because none of the gate staff spoke no English and they do not update the flight status info - the gate staff actively gave us false information. We were first told that our flight was going to be delayed 20 min then when we would ask for updates they would seemingly pull numbers out of the air. (1hr 2hrs 1hr 20 min). With regard to the check in agents they were pushy and rude.