Top 100 Airlines

Punta Cana Airport

"bearable and reasonably quick"

Flew into Punta Cana with BA who have re-timed their flights since our last visit in March 2015. I suspect this may be to avoid the horrendous queues associated with the rush of mid afternoon arrivals, chiefly from the US and Canada. This time, the queues in immigration were bearable and reasonably quick. Last time, it took 2 hours to get through. Other than that, little has changed and undoubtedly the airport needs expanding given the number of flights it handles.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"disappointed with my experience"

I have to say was so disappointed with my experience departing Punta Cana. Check in was a rip off was under baggage allowance but we were told we had to pay $130 to check in third bag? We brought three bags under weight so why could we not take three back? No explanation just pay or don't take bag! If it wasn't for the fact there was 300 people behind in the queue, I would have stood my ground! Then they took my ecigarette off me with again no explanation and when I got through departure there were loads of people using nearly the same ecigarette. I'm afraid we won't be going back to DR which is a shame but I was so upset and frustrated with airport I couldn't go through that again.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"expect long lines"

Punta Cana airport comes across as an intentional organized chaos that allows for the employment of many local residents to offer their (and I really mean this) heartfelt, sincere, hospitality in either helping with our bags, selling us trinkets, tours, transportation, or, of course, Mama-Juanna. One just has to put things in perspective, it won’t be identical to US airports, and keep in mind that at a time of automation, this comes at the expense of low-skilled, low wage employees. The $10 entry fee into the country is a little wacky, but it’s just an additional tax. You can get it online now and at least avoid one of the lines in the airport – just don’t lose it like we did and have to buy it twice. You are forced to start getting acclimated to the Dominican weather immediately upon landing and the jet door swinging open. Mostly no gangways here, stairs to the tarmac, and if parked too far from the front door, a short ride on a bus to the terminal with inconsistent air-con. My advice, expect it to be warm and expect long lines. You have now officially entered Dominican time, and with just a little patience, and sweat, you’ll get to where you want to be. With exception to the way the Dominican taxi and shuttle drivers’ drive, the pace in the Dominican is very laid back – I think its how they deal with the constant heat and humidity. The airport staff actually check luggage receipts with bags as we left the reclaim area. Is this ever done in the US? I’m stunned that I actually had my 3 receipts readily accessible – I usually leave them with my old boarding pass in the back of the seat in front of me on the plane.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"needs much more seating"

Airport itself is good and clean. Needs much more seating though. No wifi. How is that in this day and age? Beware of purchases at Duty Free store in lower section. Brand Bear Hug (liquor) items purchased after tasting samples from rep, who then 'kindly' ran and got our item from the shelves for us and took to cash. Were bagged up before we could see them. Got home to discover one bottle was used as a sample bottle. Seal broken, different cap on (seal a diff colour than bottle!). Lesson, get everything yourself and inspect closely.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"pressured by taxi drivers"

(US Virgin Islands)

The airport itself is beautiful but I did have a problem with them charging an entry fee, this in itself is very deceiving. The immigration process is simply collecting a 10USD fee which most folks are not expecting. The vendors at the airport are aggressive from the moment you arrive. Be aware you will be pressured by the taxi drivers but please prepay your transportation as it is a lot cheaper. We stayed at Bahia Principe which online cost 36USD round trip expect to pay 80USD otherwise! Do not fall for the discounted tours being offered at the airport. It really is for a timeshare presentation and the tour may not be available
Date VisitDecember 2015

"Won't be back"

Horrible. No organization. Mass line ups - could not tell where one line ended and another one began. Had to try and find someone to direct us. After you check in, more line ups for security. Then you think you are done and then another line up for immigration. This area was extremely hot, no fans, no air movement. The whole airport is warm, but this part had no fans. It was ridiculous. Then you get through immigration line and move to the gates and there's not enough seating. The screens are not updated - according to the screen our plane had left even though it was delayed 6 hours. Then they get you in line to take the bus across the tarmac and we stood there for 30 minutes. They finally loaded the bus so people were standing and falling over each other despite there being numerous buses available. It was ridiculous. I did not mind Punta Cana, but I will never return due to the airport. No toilets seats in the bathrooms. Food expensive - $38 US dollars for two sandwhiches and two pops. Pathetic. Sorry Punta Cana. Won't be back.
Date VisitNovember 2015

Punta Cana Airport customer review

Punta Cana airport is abysmal. We visited the DR on holiday and on arrival had to wait 2 hours to get through immigration and collect our bags. The whole process was poorly organized. Two weeks later after spending 90 minutes to check in, pay the US$20 exit charge, get through security, we found the departure lounge was packed with people not even being able to find a space on the floor to sit down. The queues in the Duty free and other shops were ridiculously long so that we decided not to make a purchase. Other people should consider doing the same until the airport gets its act together. The airport shop prices are also way higher than in the DR shops. For example, 375ml of Barceló Dominican Rum was being sold at our hotel for US$5, but exactly the same bottle was priced at $17 in the airport! Finally, it is true that the Dominican Republic is a poor country in which politeness and good customer service can be difficult to find. However, it is in the interests of employers involved with tourism, such as airports, to ensure that their staff are trained to understand these concepts.
Date VisitMay 2015

Punta Cana Airport customer review

Easily the worst airport I have had the misfortune to use. Stood in a queue for 2 hours to get through immigration. An utter disgrace. Never seen anything like it. Must have been 600 or more people in the queue constantly. What a welcome! It's a great country but if i had any choice i would enter via one of the other airports. By the time we got to the baggage hall we just managed to get our cases before they were wheeled off by an airport official. This is the primary entry airport for the country so they need to get their act together.

Punta Cana Airport customer review

Need to sort out the extremely slow and painful process with the entry requirements as even if you have completed the entry visa you wait behind travellers that have not bothered. The airport cannot cope with the amount of travellers. No warning that you cannot take e-cigs onto aircraft felt as if it was confiscated for personal gain rather than security issue. Rude and very inefficient.

(Dominican Republic)

Worst home coming experience ever. Felt like a tourist in my home country of Dominican Republic. Starting with NO proper immigration forms for Dominican Citizen. No line for Citizen or residents. Personnel were rude. I felt so uncomfortable that I will never use this airport again.