Portland Airport

Terminal Seating N/A

Review by (United States)

I'm a big fan and frequent user of PDX. I can't comment on pax drop-off as I usually take the MAX from downtown- clean cheap easy to manage with roll-aboard luggage. TSA areas show a pre-2001 design with post-9/11 security added where it could be shoe-horned in. TSA Pre is usually quick as long as there aren't too many random selectees who need to be told to keep their shoes on coats on don't take out laptops etc. for some reason this seems worse here than at airports like SJC or SEA. Dining and shopping options are excellent for an airport this size and with this traffic. The airport is apparently changing out a number of mainstream concessionaires for local vendors including several food carts in the terminals. Prices are same in the airport as outside and quality is also generally consistent with outside vendors. The terminals are bright broad and high so there is a consistent feeling of openness. It's a very pleasant airport to be stuck in.

Review by (South Africa)

Charming airport with great staff. Small but spacious. Easy check in and quick security controls - I was TSA pre-checked so this helped. Good selection of restaurants and plenty of seats at waiting areas. Good views out of airport too.

Review by (United States)

There's a lot of bad and good to say about Portland International Airport. First the good: PDX has a lot of restaurants and shops to visit. Prices aren't too outrageous and it feels organized and easy to navigate. I've read a lot of complaints about the TSA in Portland but I've experienced very few problems especially compared to other airports. The lines usually move fast and they don't make me remove all my liquids from my luggage which some airports do. Now the bad: the pick up for PDX is a mess. It doesn't need to be but it really is. First of all is the smoking problem. Everywhere along the pick up line are signs that say "No Smoking." There is a designated smoking area at the very start of the line where cars come in. However whenever I'm at PDX there are smokers standing all over the place in any location along pick up. I have yet to see PDX enforce them. The second issue with pick up is that there are signs posted everywhere asking people to not wait. That's why there is a very useful easy to find cellphone waiting area nearby. However often the pick up lane will be entirely blocked with parked cars who are still waiting for people to get out of baggage claim or off their flights. I've watched multiple cars sit in the same spot for over fifteen minutes while the drivers played on their cell phones. On many occasions I've picked up and been picked up at this airport and if anything I've always seen cars blocking the entire pick up line with no one in sight to pick up. There was no one to enforce the many signs stating this was illegal. It's been a problem several times which is why I'm finally writing about it. Weekends are the worst and I usually try to avoid that but sometimes that's impossible. Let's use common sense PDX! I can understand giving people a few minutes so the person being picked up can run to the car from wherever they were waiting outside and drop their luggage in the trunk but anything over five minutes to fifteen plus minutes is ridiculous.

Review by (United States)

I cannot say enough good things about PDX. The ticketing lobby is open and airy. The boarding gate concourses are well maintained with ample room to relax a bit. Food and shopping options offer typical products of the Pacific Northwest. My only complaint would be about the United Express and Alaska/Horizon regional boarding areas. They are crowded noisy and in the winter cold. I was so impressed this time with the professionalism of the customs immigration and agriculture inspectors. They were friendly personable and helpful. One feature I really liked was the presence of "Ask Me" persons who stand by at strategic places and can help with just about any question. International travelers may find the shuttle bus around to the main terminal from the customs area a bit trying. Here's hoping they can get that changed up soon. There are even musicians at times in each of the terminals playing pianos and guitars. Nice. Maybe rocking chairs could be added ala airports in the South.

Review by (United States)

My favorite airport that I've been to in the US. Clean organized good amenities clean and functional bathrooms friendly employees nice waiting areas etc. Pick up and drop off is a breeze. It gets me where I need to go and offers me the services and good I need. Pretty simple.

Review by (United States)

I recently flew out of and back to PWM. Due to weather my outgoing flight was delayed by 3 hours. But thanks to a courtesy call from the airline/airport I could catch an earlier flight if I could get to the airport in one hour. It was slightly stressful but it was not at all difficult to drive ~4 miles from the city find long-term parking check-in go through security run to the gate and board the plane with carry-on. The return flight was long due to connections but it was super easy to navigate the terminal and parking garage once we'd all de- boarded the plane.

Review by (United States)

I fly frequently through PDX sometimes several times per month depending upon where my current workplace is located. Pick-up and drop-off has never been a problem as long as one does so efficiently and if not then expect the traffic patrol to move you along. TSA is another matter. I am under medical orders to not use the scanner screens so must have pat-downs each flight. When I inform TSA that I cannot go through the scanner due to the medical conditions they are invariably rude and frequently leave me standing for several minutes. I work in an industry where I frequently test positive for certain chemical combinations which further puts the wind up in them even though I carry all the proper credentials and in all likelihood have had a more extensive background check to work in my industry than they do in theirs. I establish my credentials and usually have to demand a superior to handle the questioning and pat-down which makes the process longer but more civil. In short there is too much of the them-versus-us attitude from TSA. Other amenities are reasonable the toilet facilities are superior in cleanliness to most airports but the bars are irritating demanding identification-proof of age from those of us past 50 for a drink. Nonsense. In short PDX has both positives and negatives much like most airports access is good from the freeway the traffic jam is TSA.

Review by (Netherlands)

Arrived here on an international flight from AMS connecting to a US domestic flight. Immigration and customs fast and efficient. Was outside the terminal within 20 mins from deplaning. Security screening for domestic connection well organized efficient and quick. The most friendly and courteous TSA officers I've seen in a US airport.

Review by (Brazil)

Arrived and departed on domestic flights so can't comment on facilities for Immigration and Customs. Airport is clean and fairly modern. My only complaints are the long walks needed to get from gates to the area for luggage etc. and the complicated paths one must take to get from the rental car area (in one of the parking structures) to the main terminal. Lots of airport hotels though noise can be a problem. Not a large array of eateries but you can do fairly well in terms of both food and drink while waiting for a flight.

Review by (United States)

The has to be the most effective efficient and user friendly airport in the US. The TSA set up is spacious and quick. Never long waits and they appear to be genuinely interested in customer service. Shops and restaurants are all reasonably priced. The quality of the food is excellent as well. Access into and out of parking both long and short term is convenient and simple. There are also on site car rental spaces as well no crowded buses to get to an off-site location.