Top 100 Airlines

Phuket Airport

"immigration took 1 hour"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Phuket airport is the worst on earth. Arrival immigration time took me 1 hour to queue. However departure immigration took even longer. I have been queuing since 8.55am till now at 10.15am i'm still waiting at the line. My flight is scheduled at 10.25am but I'm still at the line queuing. No officer or whoever can assist.

"absolute carnage"

Departed from the new airport terminal in Phuket - after I got there absolute carnage. 2 hours in customs then security - I was lucky my flight was delayed anyway. 12 years in and out of Phuket every 4 weeks by far my worst experience. Can't wait for high season - I know about teething problems but really security after customs?

"a very bad experience"

The worst experience for us passing through passport control at Phuket airport in 30 years flying around the world. Shortly before we reached the counter a member of staff held up a sign calling for passengers from a Russian flight and chaos broke out. People from behind started to jump the queue and pushing in. There was no clear line anymore and no security staff to maintain order. Lots of arguments between customers. Can this be possible in a modern airport nowadays? Yes it is possible! We waited 1.5 hours to get through. A very bad experience.

"it was a free for all"

Verified Review | Departed from the new terminal that had only opened one day before we left. The minibus dropped us off at the wrong terminal, along with everybody else, so waited for the free shuttle which was fine. The checked luggage was scanned before we checked-in then it was given a tag to say it had been checked, but you could still add things into it after this which doesn't seem very secure to me. Got the bags dropped off and went to join the queue for passport control along "snaking" line with about 150 people in it. After about 40 mins in the queue a Thai woman started shouting from the front then about 60 Thai/Chinese passengers jumped the barriers and it was a free for all to skip the queue. No idea what was going on and no control by the security, would have expected something a bit slicker than this for a new terminal. Got through passport control after an hour to a largely empty terminal with few shops and restaurants but lots of seats. Not all screens were working so had to walk quite far to fine out the gate for our flight.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"airport is old and tired"

Not a good experience. At our departure airport we were told all bags would be checked through to our final destination (USM). However on arrival at HKT we had to collect bags and then join a huge queue outside the airport to put our bags through a security check before checking in to our domestic flight to Samui. Standing outside in the high temperature/humidity after two 7 hour flights was not the most pleasant way to transit through HKT. Airport is old and tired, however there is a new terminal being built which hopefully may improve the transit process.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"in need of a serious overhaul"

Very worn out and tired, food and drink outlets very limited and packed, security was quick. Only had 100 baht left and there were no ATM machines after security, didn't know this till it was too late and most but not all food/drink outlets were cash only. Phuket Airport is in need of a serious overhaul.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"so many things wrong"

I didn't think that this airport could get any worse, but it has since my last visit. There are just so many things wrong with this airport that it should be used as an illustration of what not to do. Security needs to be improved with the screening process at the entry redesigned. It is inefficient and appears to be for show. The disorganized lines for check-in with the poor signage associated with all of the Thai based airlines is deplorable. During peak travel times, it is chaos. When my flight landed I had to wade through people who were boarding another flight. It seems that it is still possible for an international passenger to end up exiting at the domestic entry as was the case of my flight. It's an awful airport. The inflated ground transportation fees just add insult to injury. I paid B920 to get to Patong via a "metered" taxi. Something is terribly wrong when it costs approx. 300 baht to go from Bangkok airport to Bangkok city. Fortunately, I don't have to return to Phuket in the foreseeable future. My recommendation is to avoid this destination altogether.

"what a mess"

(Thailand)

What a mess. The car rental drop-off is on the lower floor which is the arrival floor with all the taxi and bus stands. You need to push through the opposite direction of the traffic and people to get to an entry door which has a lines of people queued like an octopus all going though a single scanner. The check-in area is just filled with people trying to find the appropriate window with very little clear signage. Entering the secure area is like entering a refugee camp. While there are many gates open the only gate(s) being used are 66a and 66b which reside at the end of security belt and hallway to the only toilets. People are just packed in like sardines they are all over the floors, blocking pathways and generally being rude and panicky. There is very little air con and the air quality is poor. The toilets are just a filthy, wet mess. I'm very tempted to fly into Krabi and rent a car to drive to Phuket on our next flight in.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"almost missed our flight"

Departure - almost missed our flight completely. Even if you arrive 2.5 hours before departure. When you get out of vehicles with your bags at departure you cannot even enter the airport. The authority makes everyone queue outside along the road. It's was really very long and took us more than 40 mins to reach the entrance. Never seen such an airport in my life. After you enter you queue again and it was so long. I will have second thoughts to go back.

Phuket Airport customer review

The new terminal is still under construction, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in that regard, but their terminal does not leave a particularly warm welcome, with it's non-air conditioned jetbridges to the lack of pens for you to fill in your declaration forms. Immigration was slow, interior worn. As for departures it's interesting that they'd have body scanners. Their terminal was crowded, especially in the waiting area past security. Aside from that, there's nothing particularly noteworthy.
Date VisitJuly 2015