Airline of the Year

Philadelphia Airport

"I have never seen such incompetence"

Verified Review | This airport is completely ineptly run. I have to fly in and out of here roughly 10 times a year. More often than not there are gate delays when I arrive. One time I arrived and we had to sit at the gate itself while we waited 20 minutes before gate crew to emerge. I am now sitting on the runway moving nowhere waiting to get into a gate behind six other planes in front of us. I have never seen such incompetence. I hate to say it but the staff that manage this airport do a really poor job. And this is my home City. I am ashamed.
Date VisitMay 2017

"customs and security weren't ready"

This is the worst airport experience I have had. For some reason customs and security "weren't ready" for the 4 international airlines landing at the same time. The 2+ hours between our connecting flights were spent in lines for customs and security, and we still missed our flight. The worst part is, our airplane was sitting still at our gate for an hour due to incliment weather, we were 2 minutes late to our flight and were still refused on the still sitting train. Never coming back ever again and I would not recommend anyone comes here unless they want to be stuck in lines due to their "short staff." Get it together.

"this airport is awful"

This is the worst airport experience I have ever had. The flight out of Philadelphia to pick us up in Montego Bay this morning delayed, which I understand, but that was just the start of the awful day we had with Philadelphia. The customs agents has absolutely no idea what they were doing. They were re-arranging the lines repeatedly in such a manner that after we had waited twenty minutes, we watched people who had just arrived walk past us. Moreover, once we got through customs there were two extremely long lines at baggage claim, each moving a different direction, but both going to the exact same place. This wouldn't have been so bad if there was a single airport employee providing directions. After another 30+ minute wait, which ended with someone taking our customs slip and nothing else, we advanced to security where we had to witness the same ridiculous line rearranging, with equally frustrating results. Another 30+ minute wait and we were pretty strung out. Fast-forward to our boarding process, where the gate agent forced me to check my bag in spite of the fact that it fit the guidelines perfectly. There was seemingly no logical reasoning behind why she chose my bag, which had glass in it. After boarding our flight, I had the pleasure of watching the gentlemen loading our bags toss mine onto the conveyor belt. If I wanted the glass tossed, I'd have checked it in the first place. This airport is awful. There is no organiation and every single person who works here is rude.
Date VisitMay 2017

"customs line was extremely slow"

Verified Review | My first American Airlines flight into Philadelphia Airport was 20 min late. After that I spent more than an hour in line for customs because the line I was put into was extremely slow. For each one that passed customs in my line, ten were already done in any other line. Then, I had to walk outside to reach the next terminal. At the TSA control I showed the boarding pass that the connection flight was already boarding; the answer I got was to wait them to check my bag while they were teaching the new hired guy. The TSA guy told me not to "make everyone aware that I was missing the flight". I rushed to the gate and there was still few people boarding. American Airlines told me that they gave my seat to someone else. I left two hours and half later to get to my destination where nobody could pick me up because too late. Never again I will stop in this airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"TSA is typically extremely rude here"

American Airlines has the worst staff here, particularly for check in and bag check. There is no organization and the only person running the self check machines was clueless what to do when the machine ran out of self check stickers. She pointed me to a line that was a hour long (only 3 employees working B/C check in at 6.45am, and four other employees behind the counter joking with one another). After explaining my dilemma, and mentioning that I had been in line for over an hour and now at risk of missing my flight, I was told that was my problem. Luckily (based on prior experiences) I gave myself 100 minutes to catch my flight. Other people crying in line weren't quite as lucky. When I asked why more stations weren't open and why agents were just standing around, I was simply told to "stop talking". TSA is typically extremely rude here, but this time was slightly less rude. The gate agents look like they're tortured. I hate to admit this is my home airport (I promise you that there are many nice and friendly philadelphians). This airport needs an overhaul, starting with the terrible employees employed here. Whoever is in charge of American Airlines Phl staff operations clearly has given up and should be replaced first.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"the worst in terms of waiting on luggage"

I travel weekly all over the country - this is absolutely the worst in terms of waiting on luggage. I always have to wait a minimum 45 minutes and in more than one trip over an hour. The airport management should assess their processes and come up with a solution. This issue detracts from an otherwise nice airport.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"the worst airport I use"

Landed at 9:41 PM in Philadelphia from Charlotte NC and it's 10:52 PM and we are standing here still waiting for baggage claim. I travel every week and this is typical of the baggage claim here. All the other airports can get the baggage out on time, why can't Philadelphia? I'm from Philadelphia and this is by far the worst airport I use.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"the passport control is hideous"

The airport is huge and not at all conducive for a connecting flight Took 30 mins at the baggage reclaim. The passport control is hideous, the queuing time is at least 30 mins, followed by another ridiculous queuing system at customs. This took another 30 mins. Thankfully my return journey is via Charlotte.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"clean, simple and efficient"

This is the 2nd time travelling through this airport. We travel here from Singapore and back out again. In fact, we like this airport so much more than NY-JFK. Everything is just simpler and faster. It is true that in terms of eateries and shopping, there really isn't anything significant but we're not really into eating/shopping at airports anyway. We just want clean, simple and efficient. And this place checks all those boxes. We only have one big upset which is with the T-Mobile counter that sells prepaid SIM cards to inbound tourists. You cannot help seeing it as you exit the International Arrivals. This is a scam. We bought a couple of 7+2 day plans but on the 7th day, the account was locked by T-Mobile. When we approached the T-Mobile shop downtown, they told us that this happens all the time with tourists who buy from this counter. The strange thing is the mobile numbers we were assigned were all business mobile lines. The shop assistant suspects that this operator is buying bulk business lines and reselling them individually as prepaid SIM plans for individuals. The customer is none the wiser - after all, who would know that the number was a business line? However, the T-Mobile system detects this abuse after a week and terminates the account. This is a scam and Philadelphia airport should shut this operator down.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"airport was very spacious"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | The airport was very spacious, short lines, clean, easy to navigate, nice staff. However, there was no place to eat - which can be very important, especially after a long flight. Also, it is very easy to get to the train from the airport, which is great.
Date VisitSeptember 2016