Philadelphia Airport

Review by (United States)

I was departing from PHL on a flight to Atlanta, onward to Dallas. When I arrived we checked in at a kiosk which was, I admit, nice. So it printed our boarding passes. We went to security which was not long. So after the security we went to the gate. On the way, we got Auntie Anne's. Then we went to the gate and simply waited for boarding. The airport in my opinion was very good.

Review by (United States)

It was torture to sit in the terminal that was so over air conditioned that everyone around me who didn't check their bags was adding sweatshirts and scarves. One shouldn't need coats to be comfortable indoors in the summer. The rest of the aspects of the airport were fine, I just wish I wasn't shivering for two hours.

Review by (Canada)

I'm a frequent traveller and I know that things happen, but never before have I had to go through so much to simply catch a connecting flight. Dozens and dozens of passengers ended up missing their connections. My luggage was just tossed off the carousel and left on the floor out in the open. Luggage that I had to go find after spending 2 hours waiting to declare any goods. Afterwards checking in with my airline and having my flight rescheduled, I checked my baggage and then waited in another line for 40 minutes. This line was to screen all carry on luggage and passengers again. Also, everybody's drinks (that came off the U.S. Airways flight) had to be discarded. My sealed duty free bag was cut open, the seal on the package inside opened, and the sealed bottle was removed then swabbed. Again, this was to be a quick layover before catching my connecting flight. Another highlight was the airport employee yelling to the other airport employee in the middle of the souvenir shop about bad she had to go to the bathroom. Classy. I'd recommend that this airport be avoided whenever possible.

Review by (United States)

Philadelphia airport is the worst I have experienced in my many opportunities to travel. From unusual pattern holding efforts while arriving for a connection, extraordinary taxi and delay efforts, delays in opening the cabin door to a need to travel half way to New York through the concourse and a bus trip to find my gate. To top it off, a 30 minute delay on the runway waiting to take off due to heavy volume. Thank goodness the weather was good. All through the concourse I could see monitors with pretty people promoting the airport with claims of greatness. Now, if they could only translate their self promotion into actionable change then the experience would improve.

Review by (United States)

We arrived at Philadelphia Airport from Paris, France. As we approached customs, there was one person yelling for Americans to line up on the left and non Americans on the right. No signs were posted. It then took us almost two hours to stand in long lines to reach three different stages for re-entry into the U.S. After being in line for 45 minutes, we showed our passports to a machine that printed out our pictures and answers to the "declarations" form we had completed with paper/pen on our flight. Then we had to show our passports and declarations form to a live person after lining up for another 20-30 minutes. We were then released to the baggage area and then had to stand in another 10-15 minute line to show our form again before getting out to the street or other terminals. The airport was understaffed and the staff were uniformly rude or simply disinterested. As we tried to make our connecting flight to Dayton, OH, we were directed to get the shuttle bus to terminal F. The staff member pointed us down the hallway. We soon discovered he had pointed the wrong way and we had to return and go another direction to get to the street. At terminal F, the TSA folks who checked our liquids and carry ons, etc. could not have been ruder or more indifferent. Fortunately our connecting flight was 45 minutes late. We stood in lines for about 2 hrs, 15 minutes to reenter the US and make a connecting flight. The Philadelphia Airport staff were amazingly unhelpful and as a group - surly!

Review by (United States)

Their "Check In Kiosks" were not working properly, so, boarding passes had to be obtained by going to the US Airways counter. But not before standing in a very long and slow line. The reps seemed apathetic about their entire job. Security had lengthy and ultra slow lines. If you're picking up a rental car, you have to walk to the other side of the airport and wait for a shuttle bus to take you to another terminal several blocks away. Unlike Pittsburgh, which has a more flyer friendly approach to travel, Philadelphia's airport is a disgrace.

Review by (United States)

I took a day trip to Philadelphia to spend time with my girlfriend who had a 10 hour layover. I also wanted to use the opportunity to see my brother who moved up there about 9 months ago. We were planning on having lunch at the airport but there were no restaurants or shops outside of the security area. Nothing! Very stupid for people who want to arrive early at the airport and spend time with friends and family until they need to proceed to the gate.

Review by (United States)

I have never been so outraged by an airport experience! The airport personnel, the security personnel and even the Delta staff at the airport were all ineffectual, sometimes outright rude and totally unconcerned about helping the traveling public. I came in to Philadelphia airport after almost 18 hours of travel that was long, but for the most part pleasant, to encounter a system and personnel that was totally unacceptable. The lines were long, the procedures instituted by this airport cumbersome, the signage unintelligible, even to an educated English speaking person, the Personnel unhelpful and rude, the facilities dingy and dirty.

Review by (United States)

Add us to the list of folks dismayed to experience this rude, dirty place with inefficient and ineffective processes. We arrived from St. Petersburg, Russia via Paris. The Moscow and St. Petersburg airports and Customs processes were understandable and efficient, though we don't understand Russian. Paris was also easy. Then we arrive back to the USA and Philadelphia Airport, where despite being literate in English, we can't figure out what to do and the personnel seem more interested in barking at us than helping. The long snaking queues of people being treated like cattle in depressing. I couldn't understand why we had redundant security checks, and talked to the TSA fellow. He said he'd been trying to get it changed for 12 years, and that Philly is the only airport where when you arrive in the international terminal, it is then treated as if you have left the airport and re-entered when you go to the domestic terminal, so they need to repeat the security process. Our bags got lost and it took over two hours for security and Customs. Disgusting women's rest rooms with long lines. I could go on and on, but will stop with saying I'll try to avoid Philly in the future.

Review by (United States)

Philadelphia please overhaul your gate waiting areas. I tried to find a measly outlet in the C terminal to charge a dying cellphone. Not only couldn't I find an outlet that worked but the one that did work - apparently used for vacuum cleaners was nowhere near a seating area and people were lined up to use it. Get some of those "work station" columns and out them at the end of every seat aisle! Every other airport has managed to retrofit waiting areas for business AND leisure travelers!