Best Economy Class Seats

Philadelphia Airport

"security is a breeze"

I travel through Philadelphia Airport 2 or 3 times a year - normally flying British Airways using Terminal A West. Check-in is usually quick - they know me so I get greeted by name. Security is a breeze. The lounge is quiet and the flight normally on time. I would recommend PHL because if its convenient location and it is not busy in the evenings.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"staff seem friendly and helpful"

I have no complaints about the cleanliness of Philadelphia airport, and the staff seem friendly and helpful. Glad to see there is now free WiFi. My main issue (and always has been) is the management of planes departing and arriving. When your captain announces that you are getting ready to land, that means 20+ minutes of descending in an over-crowded pattern. Once on the ground, you can taxi quickly to your gate. However, once we got to the gate we had to wait for a truck to tow us in the last few feet. Then we had to wait another few minutes for another person to inch the jetway close enough so we could use it. No explanation was given for those delays. As for departing the airport, I had a short flight to Pittsburgh. My ticket listed it as a 90 minute flight. The first 40 minutes was spent taxiing on the runway and waiting for other jets to get a turn (again, over-crowded pattern / departure times). My flight was in the air only 5 minutes longer than we taxied on the ground at PHL for take off.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"signage is sparse"

Worst airport in 30 years of traveling. Absolutely no restaurants or cafes outside of security checkpoints and bathrooms are extremely limited and very dirty. Customer service exists as a bunch of airline and airport-badges personnel hanging out and talking while customers are waiting. Signage is sparse and monitors are inaccurate. I've never seen so much hassle of customers over a carry-on that will ostensibly fit in the overhead. I sat in front of the offending ticket counter watching the debacle for too long.
Date VisitApril 2016

"this is unfortunately common"

Got in on a 5pm flight from Denver on American Airlines. Have been waiting for my luggage for 50 minutes, they just made an announcement that there is a delay and will let us know when the baggage is coming. We have a driver waiting. This is unfortunately common. Why can I get my luggage right away in other airports? Ok here comes some of our luggage now. It is 5.56 pm. An hour later. Someone next to us complained to an airport employee and her reply was that they are Union and have up to 45 minutes to deliver the bags - great attitude
Date VisitApril 2016

"lack of viable electrical outlets"

Every time time I fly through Philadelphia Airport I find that the standard of customer service during the check-in process continues to degrade. Not only am I tagging my own bags now but I am also putting my bags on the conveyor belt as well. I'm expecting to have to put it on the plane myself eventually. Once through security my biggest complaint is the lack of viable electrical outlets available and of the few that are functional it is not uncommon to see airport employees utilizing them. As a frequent flyer it is the norm to be on a computer or phone during a layover/delay and the inability to plug in and recharge these items is troublesome. My home airport has just put in new seating which has usb and standard plugs on each chair. Fabulous improvement and would love to see that done at PHL.
Date VisitApril 2016

"limited seating and no facilities"

We, along with many others were disappointed when we arrived early for our flight the day after Storm Jonas. We were too early to do the bag drop and had to wait in an uncomfortable hall with limited seating and no facilities until the check in opened. No staff were there to help us find the concession in the arrival hall as I have experienced in other airports and any staff we asked were very unhelpful. Furthermore, there was not even signage for restrooms or elevators, which surely should be standard in any public building. The travel conditions were such that it was advisable to arrive in good time, but the airport made no provision to make this wait comfortable. Also, the departure boards only listed US and Canadian flights, so it was impossible to find out anything about the status of the flight until the check in opened. Again, this is the first time I have ever been at an airport where information was not provided about all of its departures. Once we passed through security, the overall standard was much hire, but first impressions are difficult to forget, especially whe experienced for a number of hours.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"has shown vast improvement"

Philadelphia International is an airport which has shown vast improvement over the past several years. Terminals are clean and bright. It's layout has become much more user friendly and both the quality and number of amenities offered has been greatly enhanced. Public transportation (SEPTA's Airport Line of its regional rail system) provides quick and easy access to Center City Philadelphia and Amtrak. It is also located near I-95, I-76 and 474 (the Blue Route). For international travel, customs is a breeze. My biggest complaint is with the airline industry which charges hundreds of dollars more for the convenience of flying out of Philadelphia. They are practically forcing leisure travelers on a budget to hike north to Newark and JFK. Given that those airports are in no danger of going out of business, I fail to understand why Philadelphia travelers are treated so shabbily.
Date VisitJune 2015

"we had no problems whatsoever"

I liked Philadelphia Airport. It is easily accessed from the SEPTA train, we had no problems whatsoever. Clean restrooms, comfortable seating while waiting for our Southwest flight to Los Angeles. The restaurants were good, and staff friendly. For some reason, though, it is quite a bit more expensive to fly internationally from Philadelphia as opposed to JFK. Why, I wonder?
Date VisitAugust 2015

"the airport staff move at a snails pace"

If you are returning to the U.S. on an International flight that requires you to get your connecting flight home through Philadelphia, make sure you have about a 3 hour layover. Airport is a nightmare! I have flown internationally several times and have never experienced upon re-entering the U.S, an airport that is as ill equipped in handling this process. From beginning to end, it took 2.5 hours. You are required to be processed through multiple stages where you stand in one horrific line after another. The airport staff you encounter through the entire process are completely apathetic about their jobs and move at a snails pace. Luckily my flight was delayed but even then I barely made it. I literally had to run full speed through the airport to catch my connecting flight and the plane door closed right behind me. Avoid this airport if at all possible when needing to connect from an International flight - it is a nightmare.
Date VisitAugust 2015

"bright and sunny, ample seating "

I am thrilled that the new Commuter Terminal is finally completed. For years, literally, years, they have been working on that terminal, seemingly without end. It is finally done and it is a Universe away from where they started. It is bright and sunny, ample seating and electrical outlets and has lots of food options at the new Food Court. Gone is the " Prison Riot just ended" look that plagued the place for years and made me cry every time I had to connect through PHL. There is still construction ongoing and you have to slough a mile to get your luggage, all the while dodging sketchy men approaching you to see if you want a taxi. They are older men in suits, clearly not licensed Taxi company employees. The Airport Authority need to keep these shady characters out of the baggage claim/ground transport. I recommend it reservedly because I have to chose one. I would still rather fly through Charlotte, all day, everyday.
Date VisitOctober 2015