Philadelphia Airport

"pleasantly surprised me"

Trip Verified | A recent international round trip through PHL pleasantly surprised me: the terminals (and restrooms) were clean; air conditioning was generally good; signage was clear; seating space was ample and it was not overcrowded. I especially enjoyed the airside walk between Terminals A and F in order to connect between domestic and international flights: it was a healthy 15-minute walk through a suburban shopping mall with reasonable food choices along the way. But PHL is far from perfect. Many water fountains and electrical outlets do not work: this is a needless frustration. When I arrived at Customs and Border Patrol at around 4PM from an international flight, the area was overwhelmed by too many passengers, almost no help for passengers coping with cryptic passport kiosks, and seriously understaffed CBP posts. PHL shows great promise but needs to attend to simple maintenance and very inadequate CBP operations.
Date VisitJune 2018

"rude and unfriendly overall"

Not Verified | This is the #1 airport to avoid. Although they have redone some of the terminals and added many food options, they have not redone the staff. The staff at this airport are rude and unfriendly overall. I say this as a "thick skinned" New Yorker. Although I am sure there are exceptions, I have never found one. I have not used this airport in 6 years but was forced to connect there last week and could not believe that nothing has changed. I once again told my travel department at work that I refuse to travel through Philly.
Date VisitJune 2018

"will not be using this airport again"

Not Verified | This airport needs to be avoided at all costs by travellers from UK who need to change flights there. Unbelievably they have no electronic passport entry points so everyone is dealt with manually. We had almost 3 hours to change flights on a trip from Manchester to Miami. We made our connection with literally one minute to spare after rushing through the airport! Passport checking took an hour and a half and then full security check the same. Many in the queues are stressed as they know they are going to miss connections. The staff seem to take delight in advising that no one can go to the front of the queue because almost everyone is late for a connection. I will not be using this airport again.
Date VisitMay 2018

"trash all over the place"

Not Verified | Because of rain and lightening, there was a delay in getting off the flight upon landing, however as soon as the lightening lifted and we were allowed to get off the plane, the airport employees were nowhere to be found! They had to be sumened back to their station. Not only that I waited another hour for the luggage to arrive. There was trash all over the place, it looked like a dump! I’ve been in airports all across the US and I have to say this is the most dirtest, unprofessional, slowest airport I’ve ever been in! This airport lack leadership terribly!
Date VisitMay 2018

"no restaurants or bathrooms"

Trip Verified | Ok I had a 3 hour layover, my doing, airport had no restaurants or bathrooms because of a water mains break. Now the plane is still at the gate, 40 minutes delayed and counting.
Date VisitMay 2018

"no advice, no support, no help"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Trying to locate our car rental company, we were sent to stop No 2 for shuttle buses. After half hour in cold weather, we realised that the bus stop for rental companies due to construction work, had been moved to the other side of the building. No sign anywhere, no advice, no support, no help from anybody. After 45 minutes finally the Dollar shuttle arrived. This was a total disappointment after a flight ATH-LHR-PHL.
Date VisitApril 2018

"constant delays in take off"

Trip Verified | The Worst Airport in the United States! I have traveled with American Airlines all over this country and the Caribbean. I have been to Atlanta, Chicago, Las Vegas, Tampa, Orlando, Fort Myers, San Francisco, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Aruba, St Thomas, and Nassau with American on most of these and Southwest on the others. I never have a problem in any of these Airports. Philadelphia on the other hand is a disaster, where do I begin. Let’s start with constant delays in take off, there are always 10 to 12 planes ahead of you. When pulling back into Philadelphia 10 minutes early only to have to wait 30 minutes till they find an open gate. Then you go to get your luggage and a hour later they tell you they have a maintenance issue. The signage to leave the Airport is probably the most confusing of any airport that I have been to. You leave from gate C so you park in that garage only to return at A Gate, this happens all the time. The B/C Security is far too small to handle the crowds that come to this gate, passengers are lined up down the corridor to the parking garage! If I could get the flights I need out of Allentown I would drive the additional hour just to avoid this place.
Date VisitApril 2018

"Never did I see anyone cleaning"

Trip Verified | I'm a native Philadelphian, and though I currently live outside the city use Philadelphia International Airport ( PHL) a few times per year. I'm embarrassed that this is "my airport". Each restroom I used smelled like a barn. Stalls, toilets and floors were filthy. Never did I see anyone cleaning anything. In March, my PHL flight to Miami was cancelled due to weather, I used Baltimore (BWI). Both BWI and MIA were clean, modern and nice. Today I'm at Chicago's O'Hare- very clean and modern! In recent months I was in the Tampa airport, also very clean. Even if something is old it can be clean! The restaurant scene is also very poor at PHL compared with others. Not sure what's going on here but I know I have an option to fly out of another airport, so will be in the future.
Date VisitApril 2018

"the most inefficient airport"

Not Verified | This is the worst airport I have ever experienced and the most inefficient airport I have ever witnessed. It is ridiculous that they make you collect your luggage and go through all controls, check in and security again even when you are on in transit. This is the biggest waste of time and ludicrous. They do not keep their flight departure times up to date and so we were running through the airport to get our connecting flight as it said it was on time, however 2.5 hours after the said departure time I am still waiting to leave for London. The gate number changed 5 or 6 times confusing everyone and now we have been sitting on the plane for over an hour and it appears they have lost half of the planes luggage. The pilot has had to get off of the aircraft to try and sort this out because everyone is clueless. Absolutely ridiculous airport will definitely avoid ever returning here. All connecting flights should try and do the same in future.
Date VisitApril 2018

"Does no one work here?"

Not Verified | Arriving plane had to wait 45 min before we could arrive at gate. Baggage took 1:15 minutes to come out To connect to next flight had to go out of security area. Security lines were closed in all terminals so now way back into the gate area until one line night man helped us fond the one open security area. Virtually no staff to ask any questions. At 9:30 pm most food areas closed. Boarded plane and waited 1+ hour. Pilot kept updating us that the baggage handlers had left the door open and no one was answering their calls. Now they have no communication with anyone on the jetway. Does no one work here?