Paphos Airport

Review by (United Kingdom)

I recently flew back from this airport after getting married in Cyprus. We were flying Ryanair and had already been told before flying out 3 weeks before that are flight had been changed to the 10pm flight. We arrived at the airport around 7.30pm as we had to bring the hire car back. On entering the airport, the screen stated that the flight was delayed. I went to the information desk and was told that we were not able to check in yet. I asked how long the delay was and they said the flight was expected at 11pm. This was fine and we went to get coffee whilst waiting for the check in desk to open. Ten minutes later, check in opened and we were checked in. Security was its normal routine of unloading stuff into trays and then reloading it back into bags. Then came the waiting. As we expected the delay, we were quite happy to sit in the coffee shop. However, the confusing thing was when the screens stated at 10pm that are flight gate was open. There are only 2 gates for Ryanair and neither was open. We waited another 30 minutes in utter confusion. We were then told over (a very quiet) speaker that our flight would not be in until 11.20pm. This was fine however the screens then stated were boarding. Total confusion throughout the airport. At 10.40 another message came over speaker to state that the food court would be closing at 11pm and that if we wanted food that we were to purchase it before the flight as there would not be any on the flight. This did not shock me that the food court was closing as airports are not 24 hr places anymore, however we were to be on a plane for 4 and a half hours over an unusual time period and no food would be served. This was explained to me by one of the passengers who frequently fly Ryanair that it is so they can get the flight back out quicker. Anyway, about 11ish we were all lined up at the gate, which was much relief to everyone standing in the line. We were priority so we went through out the back door towards the runway, only to be directed to a what I can only describe as a holding pen. Metal bars, a dozen metal chairs cemented to the floor and what felt like a hundred people all put in this pen. We could all see out onto the runway, where there was no plane, well until it started landing. We watched the plane land in 25 degree heat and watched the passengers get off. We then watched for 20 minutes as their luggage was taken off the plane and ours started being put on. We then got escorted out onto the runway and allowed to board the plane. I have flown many flights in my life and have flown in and out of paphos airport several times. However, I have never been subjected to this kind of service before. All I can say is get rid of the holding pen.
Date VisitAugust 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

I had assistance at the airport, well it was fantastic, from check in through to security. The assistance staff are very helpful and friendly, I waited in the the departure area for boarding, in which disabled were boarded before other people, so no overcrowded buses. Staff were fantastic.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (United Kingdom)

This was an awful experience. It took us nearly an hour and a half to check in, and clear passport and security. It was 8pm and the temperature was unbelievable. There is no air conditioning or even fans. Airside there was limited seating and we were called to gate before the previous plane had finished boarding. Again no fans/air-conditioning. Metal seats are very uncomfortable and the cost of drinks varies widely! Buses to take us out to the plane were over crowded and ours took us to the wrong plane which was rather worrying. We had had a beautiful holiday in Paphos but next year we will return to France as this airport experience was so dreadful.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (United Kingdom)

The worst aiport I've ever been to, check in the slowest in the world. Queues are enormous, ground staff are so slow. You get to security and they check your passport and boarding card then you get screened and then bags scanned, after that you would normally be in the airport but no another security check for passports and boardig passed. I'm sorry but over 2 hours of queing is an utter joke, the staff are so rude and the cages are a joke, it is like being in a prison cell. It was just as well it was dark but over 190 passangers in one cage is a joke. I don't think that I will go back to Paphos due to the aiport.

Review by (Cyprus)

Agree with previous reviewer the holding cages are an absolute nightmare what on earth possessed anyone to come up with such an sadistic idea and even worse who approved it? I have often stood in that queue for well over an hour and only once less than 30 minutes waiting to board the 13.55 Ryanair in the Cyprus heat that is no joke. There are no seats it has a corrugated tin roof and with all the people under there it becomes more akin to a sauna. There is no understanding of where the priority boarding queue is the staff certainly could not care less if they tried. With all the problems dramatically referred to locally as "The Crisis" that Cyprus is going through one would have presumed the least they could do was look after "their Customers" who are bringing in that much needed liquid capital. As for the rest of the airport it is quite small although it is fairly quick going through the check in desks and past security. It has enough shops and refreshment areas so not a problem there it is clean and bright toilets are also clean. Security is the usual amalgam of surly jobsworths who think they are doing you a favour by being as moody and miserable as possible but that is hardly unique to this airport. I use this airport only because of the ease of access to my home to and from Stansted or else I would avoid like a plague.

Review by (United Kingdom)

The staff in this airport are rude. This is my third time flying from here and every time some member of staff has gone out of their way to be difficult.

Review by (United Kingdom)

The holding cages are a joke. Why is it necessary to have passengers moved from the departure lounge to these cages way before boarding their flight? It looks like a convenience for the handling agents and the airlines to have a quick turnaround. The cages have totally insufficient cover and very few seats so beware if the weather is wet or very hot as you will be soaked or fried. The new Paphos airport was looking good when it opened but this "improvement" puts it in third world category for passenger comfort. Flight was with Easyjet but have been told Ryanair also use the cages. I noted that there are now shop type stalls for Hamleys and a food company inside the departure lounge taking up even more space. This airport will be a disaster in the height of summer but who cares if the "customers" are treated like cattle?

Review by (United Kingdom)

Arriving was fine with no problems but I agree with the last reviewer on the holding cages. We flew from here on 4 December 2012 and were called urgently 1 hr and 20 mins before the flight was due to leave in fact our plane hadn't even landed. It was really cold with driving rain. We were herded into the cages where there were 6 fixed seats at the front and 6 at the back of the cage. These cages have 3 foot bars with spaces in between some flyover metal roofing and sail like material but with great gaps. There were many OAPs and several people with small children. This was a full Easyjet flight. There were many objections to this but the ground staff were unsympathetic. When objections kept coming the ground staff held the remainder of the passengers in the Terminal. The actual Terminal was by no means busy so it seemed ridiculous to hold us there. We were all soaking wet and frozen by the time we got on the plane. Goodness knows what the heat will be like in the height of summer with everyone on a full flight standing in these cages for an hour and a half. Buses eventually arrived to get us out of the rain but of course we were still standing and had to wait in the bus for some time I think the Easyjet pilot had realised our plight and insisted we were put on buses. He made an announcement to the fact that our boarding had been totally inappropriate and he would put it in his report.

Review by (United Kingdom)

What on earth is the recent installation of the Holding Cages all about. On a trip last Thursday to Manchester we were herded outside even before the flight had landed. Held in a cage for what seemed ages before being released onto the runway for the normal bun fight on our Easyjet flight. Fortunately the weather at the time was ok but goodness knows what it would have been like if the storms had been in full throttle. There appears only to be a handful of seats in each cage and our flight was carrying a large number of OAP's who objected to having to stand for so long. Goodness knows what will it be like next summer!

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flew from this airport twice last year in April and October and was surprised at how quick you can get through the airport. Flew in with easyjet from Gatwick and on both times we landed within 10 minutes of 2 other aircraft. So with around 500 people only 4 people at passport control you would think it would be a nightmare. Wrong. Was off the plane within 10 minutes of touch down and bussed straight to the terminal. Within 20 minutes me and the family (4 of us) had passed through security got our bags and was in the hire car! For our departures very little queuing time when you purchase speedy boarding only confusing part was the check staff starting checking in another flight to Manchester first which was actually departing after ours! No queues at security and was through very quickly. Only downside was the lack of shops inside the departure lounge. Although the duty free has a large selection of things this is all you really have. Very spacious and clean though and they dealt with the boarding process very well!