Best Cabin Crew

Palma de Majorca Airport

"no queues at security"

We've never seen Palma airport so quiet as when we landed: Arrivals was positively deserted and the car rental offices which were open were waiting for customers. Consequently as hand luggage only passengers we were through the airport and on our way in double quick time. Again as we prepared to depart, there were no queues at security, and the only hitch we encountered was losing our way through Duty Free en route to Departure area D. Our flight was actually delayed but we were kept informed and so we settled ourselves without any difficulty at the designated gate. There are many worse places at which to be delayed than Palma airport, and I do find the complaints about inadequate seating difficult to understand as, to me, Palma seems to provide plenty of places to sit in or near the gate areas, even when as non-Schengen travellers, we are sent to the most distant departure points.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"still needs some improvement"

(Spain)

Well, as I live in Majorca, I usually travel thru Son Sant Joan and I think it's a good airport. I like the architecture of the main building, and the freeway, bus and taxi acesses are good but the parking is a bit expensive. The airport staff has helped us many times, they were friendly with us. Some years ago there were horrible queue problems at the security controls, but now they have learned and the qeueing has improved a lot. The same happened with baggage claiming, as many years ago we waited for the lugagge for hours, but now they are a lot faster. Altough the airport personnel installs more seating every year, there's still a lack of seating. My general opinion is that Palma is a good airport, but it still needs some improvement.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"luggage reclaim was quick"

Passport control was quick, sent to a carousel at the far end of the baggage reclaim area and surprisingly for Palma airport the luggage reclaim was quick (20 mins after landing). All UK flights go from Module A which is a long way from check in - it is cramped with very little in the way of shops and restaurants (best to use the outlets before passport control) and hardly any seats. Arriving passengers have to walk through the departures lounge causing more congestion.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"there is plenty of seating in most areas"

Have been through Palma airport many times since I last submitted a review and think I may have been somewhat carping then. Perhaps familiarity helps, but despite its size and busyness my wife and I find it reasonably congenial. We've never been delayed excessively going through security, there is plenty of seating in most areas and on our return transit last week gate numbers were being displayed straightaway instead of the usual "will appear in X minutes". We even consider the distances to be covered as simply the equivalent of our daily walk. We remember how small and congested Palma airport used to be when we first visited Mallorca over 20 years ago: its present incarnation is much better.

Palma de Majorca Airport customer review

This airport is horrible and crowded. The service I experienced at the food outlets was not pleasant. This isn't the worst airport, but it does appear to be struggling under the demands put upon it.

Palma de Majorca Airport customer review

Baggage collection is terrible something, should be done. On my last 3 visits here we have waited over 1 hr to collect 2 bags. This airport ruins it for us holiday makers.

Palma de Majorca Airport customer review

Arrived into PMI for a family holiday in August. I was surprised at how swiftly we passed through passport control. The staff seemed to pay little attention to passengers from our flight and barely glanced as we walked past holding our passports up. The luggage took quite a while to arrive but on a busy summer Saturday this was expected. Unfortunately our return flight to BHX was terrible and the airport was the main reason. We arrived early for our flight and check in was very smooth with Thomson staff managing the queue. After check in we made our way straight to security and I was impressed with how efficiently security staff processed a late number of people especially families. That's where the good experience ended. Palma airport is a cattle market and is a display of why I loathe and usually avoid travelling to holiday airports. It is overcrowded with no organisation post security. There is nowhere near enough seating so people are sitting and lying on floors causing obstructions. PMI seems to care more about making a quick profit over passenger experience. You can barely move in the departure lounge and the food outlets have queues that are ridiculous, again not enough seating at restaurants causing people to push past you and hostility between passengers. The announcements are terrible quality meaning you can barely hear news of your flight. From checking with BHX we learnt of a 90 minute delay to our flight leaving the UK. No announcement was made in PMI and the screens showed that we were boarding at 12:45 when the aircraft was still in the air. Absolutely no news was provided of our delay and before or during the eventual commencement of the boarding process. We figured it was due to ATC restrictions as the majority of flights were late and there had been some poor weather. Boarding was a shambles with one member of staff checking passports and boarding passes for a full flight taking an eternity. When we eventually made our way onto the bus to the remotely parked Boeing 757 the doors would not shut securely. We stood sweating for some 20 minutes with again no apology of any kind from ground staff. Eventually another bus arrived and we made our way to the aircraft. The cabin crew and pilots were very apologetic and offered the first good service of the day. Unfortunately we were hit with another ATC slot meaning we eventually arrived back in BHX 3 hours late. Having flown to dozens of airports around the world I can easily say that PMI provided the worst experience by far and I doubt that I will visit the beautiful island of Mallorca again just to avoid the nightmare of an airport.

Palma de Majorca Airport customer review

We've used this airport a few times. It's not perfect but certainly not bad. It's important to note though that my experience of the airport is based on departures and arrivals out of peak times. Therefore it is possible that although I can only report short or minor delays at baggage reclaim and immigration control perhaps these delays would be scaled up at busier times. I've found that on our most recent trip that the airport was well enough sign- posted and there were easily enough food and shopping outlets to keep us and our 20 month old toddler happy especially as the departure pier we were at had a dedicated children's play area. We like Majorca for family holidays and with it being a small island where Palma is the only airport you are not going to be picking any others to get there. All in all I think it's a decent airport but a re-design of departures that means that you don't have to go through a secondary security process would be good that way you could avail of more of the facilities on offer rather than just the albeit decent facilities post secondary security for non-Schengen flights.

Palma de Majorca Airport customer review

I'm not usually one for writing reviews but having returned from a holiday to Majorca I felt compelled to write one about Palma Airport! We had no troubles as such but the difference in security at British airports and Palma airport is quite shocking. We flew to Majorca from Doncaster airport and it took us quite a long time to get through security but I don't mind this as you know everything is being done thoroughly and you know that your plane journey should be a safe one but when we flew out of Palma airport on the way back the woman on the check in desk spent the whole time just chatting to her friend hardly looking at our passports there was nobody looking at our hand luggage on the screen as it passed through when we walked through the metal detectors I'm not even sure they were on and working as we realised afterwards that my brother had forgotten to take his wallet out of his jeans pocket which was full of euros which surely should have set the detector off! I just felt very uneasy at how lax the security was at this airport compared to other airports I have travelled through and felt that especially in this day and age the security should have been so much more efficient!

Palma de Majorca Airport customer review

Having experienced a total nightmare in Palma airport last year I was dreading a similar experience this year. However they appear to have cleaned up their act and there is a general improvement all round. Well done and keep up the good work.