Newcastle Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th July 2015

Newcastle airport (UK) has to be one of the nastiest over commercialised and ugly airports in Europe. Too few seats for non diners while the eating spaces are dark and depressing despite the recent 'makeover'. Avoid if you can!
Date Visit28-07-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (United Kingdom) 9th July 2015

Newcastle departures used to be a simple and user friendly place. I was horrified to experience the new and supposedly improved airport departure section. After passing the customs and search area we found ourselves in what I can only describe as "A walk of death" by having to pass along a meandering pathway through the duty free area. Who wants to stop there? We then arrived in an area that had far less seating than the previous set up, we honestly couldn't believe it, what on earth were you thinking of to allow this design to be approved? Service was poor in the bar and eating areas, rubbish was not tidied up and tables not cleaned as they should be. 2nd class sums it up. Take a trip to Larnaca airport which is by no means a large departures but clean friendly and user friendly. Would love some feedback, in particular with an explanation regarding the duty free.
Date Visit09-06-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 3rd July 2015

I have travelled through many airports but always preferred the easy going feel of Newcastle Airport as I like to be as relaxed as possible before a journey I was horrified when I went through there in May on my way to the USA via my most hated airport, Heathrow T5. On leaving the scanning area we were directed straight into a Duty Free shop. I do not want duty free rammed down my throat on entering an airport. This is also a very expensive shop anyway and we would never buy anything from them, but we were forced to go through flanked by staff waiting to confront us. Disgraceful. The pleasant Newcastle Airport experience has been completely ruined simply for greed. Inside there was not enough seating as previous reviewers have clearly stated. I left the car at home this time because of the appalling car parking. Last time in October we only just managed to get a space at the far end of the Long Stay even though we had booked and paid. Cars were parked every where including on the access roads. Walked to terminal as the bus was no where to be seen and took ages to appear in the car park. Newcastle Airport Management you have really messed up big time.
Date Visit03-05-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th June 2015

The "greeting" at Newcastle Airport is, for me, one of the worst. Time and time again I am confronted by the most unpleasant passport control officials. No greeting, no eye contact, no thank you. Absolutely appalling and yes I do travel to the USA! Yesterday this was compounded by being faced with, what appeared to disembarking passengers, as one lane. Halfway down we accosted woman ordering British passport holders to move into another lane. There wasn't one, so people unclipped the tapes and we all clambered over - total chaos. When it was pointed out by a number of passengers that all other lanes had appeared to be taped off she was very rude and dismissive. Some good Geordie humour from some passengers helped the situation. People returning from holiday may look like easy pickings, but a lot of us, yes even the over 50s, hold down responsible jobs and all passengers deserve respect.
Date Visit16-06-2015
Airport Shopping N/A
Wifi Connectivity N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th June 2015

My sister and I (both registered disabled) were visiting my daughter for week in Bristol both require wheelchairs, the staff at Newcastle Airport were extremely helpful in catering to our disabilities making the journey extremely enjoyable and safe.
Date Visit16-06-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (United Kingdom) 11th June 2015

What a disappointment, Newcastle Airport has gone down the shamefully commercial route of launching customers straight into a duty free shop immediately after security. It is very frustrating to have to make 2 full turns through the shop just to reach the exit. This has come at the expense of lounge seating as the cafes and bars have been moved to the areas overlooking the runway, meaning there are very few publicly available seats. Prior to this change, Newcastle was a good airport (with the exception of the notorious drop off fee) with efficient security and pleasant lounge area - it's a shame this has been sacrificed for commercial greed.

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th May 2015

What was an Airport with good facilities has just been made into a terrible Airport experience by a recent redesign. I use this Airport about 3 times a year and my recent visit I found the new layout to be a negative customer experience. As you leave security you are straight into duty free shop which now gets clogged up with people dazzled by the shiny beads. The cafe's that used to be in the airport have been replaced by a large barn type bar little seating few staff and clearly booze orientated. An upmarket cafe another bar a busy burger king and a waitress service cafe. Te only place we could get a coffee was from a stall that was busy with others confused about the lack of simple cafe facilities. What a mess the management have made of a previously good Airport.

Review by (United Kingdom) 13th May 2015

Exceptionally rude security staff on departure who chose to scan me and did not interrupt their chat to each other with either an acknowledgement or explanation of what they were doing. Otherwise average.

Review by (United Kingdom) 30th April 2015

I arrived at 10.15 on the 28/04/2015 on flight KL 957 and was on my way home at 10.30. This was very good service.

Review by (United Kingdom) 30th March 2015

Where do I start. 1) Surly attitude by security - we are just human beings be polite and smile. 2) The Flying Hippo - way overpriced and again service without a smile - took ages coming to the table and then didn't care - it's as if they think service doesn't matter because the customer is just passing through - well it does because we have many airport choices and Newcastle is letting itself down. 3) Where's the general seating? So little of it that people sat in the bar and cafe only to be told off - sorry for paying my airport charges (via my airline) - perhaps I should have checked you had sufficient seating! Thumbs down Newcastle you're letting the North East down.