Newcastle Airport

"herded like cattle"

Not Verified | Took 1 hour to get through departure. Herded like cattle, no time to grab a drink before boarding. We arrived 2 hours before take off. Arriving home to Newcastle the escalators were turned of and again treated like cattle. E-passport system not good and we had to eventually go to border person. It took nearly an hour to get through, it was awful. We all pay good money to go on vacation - why are we treated so abysmally?
Date VisitJune 2018

"nearly an hour to reach border control"

Trip Verified | Departing from this airport is a pleasant experience in all aspects, however arriving back to the U.K. is nothing short of a joke. Our flight landed at 12.57 am and after a short walk to the terminal there was an escalator at which there was a sea of people at the top we had to shout to ask people to move forward as there were more people behind us, there could have easily been a nasty accident at this point as there were passengers from 2 flights trying to get through border control. It took us nearly an hour to reach border control to find one very surly woman at a desk who only very occasionally beckoned passengers to her desk to be cleared, thankfully she did usher the few people with children through but most of the time she just sat and watched her 2 colleagues trying to ferry passengers through the e machines and only 5 e-passport machines at that, there should have been more desks manned considering there would have been over 400 passengers trying to clear customs at this point this is quite clearly not enough and is not acceptable if this is the system they wish to use. When we finally reached the luggage carousel we found in their infinite wisdom they had put the luggage from both flights on one carousel thankfully we didn’t have to wait long for ours we finally left the airport at 2.05am. Considering this is supposed to be an international airport they really need to get their act together and sort it out, if it’s like this with 2 flights god only knows how they will cope when they probably have more than 2 arrive during the day.
Date VisitJune 2018

"not to use meet and greet"

Trip Verified | This is our local airport and in general it is an excellent airport from which to depart and arrive. However, I write this to inform passengers of an unreliable 'meet and greet' Car parking system. I have only used it three times and had problems on two separate occasions. On the first occasion we arrived back very early morning and Our car was not there. We had to wait for it to be collected and brought to the meet and greet between 20 and 25 minutes. The second occasion was fine. On the last occasion I booked online and paid for a gold standard valet £39.99 On arrival I was told they do not valet cars during May and June. After a conversation they said they would honour this. Arriving back at 1.00am I found the valet had not been done. Whilst I am sure I will get a refund and probably a verbal apology, I am not confident this will change the service for others. These issues may be minor but they do leave a frustrating feeling when you have had a wonderful holiday. My advice to travellers would be not to use meet and greet. The airport is small and both short and medium term parking is close. I will not be using again.
Date VisitJune 2018

"25 minutes to clear passport control"

Not Verified | Normally we are happy with our experience in this airport. However on arrival at Newcastle on Sunday 13th May it took 25 minutes to clear passport control - not a good experience at all. New e-passport booths have been introduced but the system could not deal with the volume of passengers and officers were herding people like cattle.
Date VisitMay 2018

"how awful an airport it is"

Not Verified | From start to finish it was an absolute disgrace how people were treated. From standing in the queue I witnessed an old lady be shouted at by security for going over the yellow line too quickly. It was like a cattle market being shouted at and giving us all in to trouble if we weren’t placing things in trays quick enough. A smile or politeness would not go amiss from entering your airport! Maybe some staff training on this might help - maybe not! Then we go to the boarding, unfortunately I thought my partner had brought my case and he thought I had it. So we were told Very abruptly and ignorantly we had 1 minute until he ran and got it and if he wasn’t back the flight would leave without us. People were still boarding and my partner got the case and rushed back in time for the flight - the problem that became apparent here, a girl made myself (a 28 year old pregnant woman) feel like a little girl in big trouble at school. I am perfectly aware we should have made sure we had my case but being pregnant and looking after my mum who struggles to walk was more important at the time. I have never in all of my life wrote a complaint as I always see the positive side however I come on holiday to enjoy myself from start to finish- the majority of your staff made this impossible. Not everyone but the majority did. On returning it felt like we were an inconvenience through the airport then the car park over charged us and wouldn’t answer help button. I will honestly never pass through your airport again and will make it well known how awful an airport it is. Like wise for the other 2 people in my company. Only positive was the lovely smiley Spanish flight attendant. Made a difference seeing a smile on someone’s face!
Date VisitMay 2018

"such inconvenience"

Trip Verified | On Saturday night. I arrived on a flight from Malta, when we got bussed to the terminal. When we arrived the escalator was turned off to accommodate the sheer volume of passengers queueing to reach passport control. I would estimate 300 passengers queueing ahead of me and most of passengers of my flight behind me. From discussions we overheard by Jet2 personnel a further flight had just landed and the passengers were being kept on the plane. On reaching the passport control some 45 minutes later only 3 Border Police were available to process all these passengers. No apologies, no comments from anybody at the airport. I think that Newcastle Airport/Border Control should at the very least apologise to every single passenger that has experienced such inconvenience.
Date VisitApril 2018

"should hang their heads in shame"

Trip Verified | Arrived on Emirates flight from Dubai on Friday 23rd March, on leaving the aircraft we had to descend 2 flights of stairs inside the terminal building following the directional signage to baggage reclaim only to be required to climb 2 flights of stairs to get back to the original level. The escalator was turned off to accommodate the sheer volume of passengers queueing to reach passport control, I would estimate 300 passengers queueing and another vast amount behind me. On reaching the passport control some 25 minutes later only 6 passport booths available at the end of taped off queueing areas ideally suited to cattle control. The description 'International Airport' beggars belief perhaps the advertising standards should check out this claim. An appalling standard the directors and management should hang their heads in shame.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"terminal is well planned and spacious"

Trip Verified | Very good alternative to Leeds and Manchester which are both nearer to me in distance. The great thing about Newcastle is space. The terminal is well planned and spacious with room to move around without bumping into other passengers. Road access and parking are very good and easy to navigate. Security was well handled and people were polite. Lots of food and retail outlets but some of the food is very expensive for the offer. UK regional airports (including the so-called northern gateway to the world at Manchester) seem averse to air bridge provision and revert to steps wherever possible despite the appalling climate. Apart from this also being the case at NCL I found the airport a pleasant experience. Unlike some other airports in the North of England it seems managers here are competent.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Queues were long and very slow"

Not Verified | I returned to the UK this week after a month long trip to South East Asia. During my time away I undertook 8 flights with airlines, Emirates, Air Asia and Bangkok Airlines, all of which were great, especially Air Asia. However after 2 flights from Bali totalling over 19 hours arriving into Newcastle was grim! The Emirates flight had a longer than usual wait for steps to be attached to enable passengers to disembark. What it such a surprise that our flight arrived, I think not! The steps were old and very shaky to use, not great in the wind and rain. On entering the building we were confronted by a broken escalator so passengers had to use this as stairs alongside the staircase. Queues were long and very slow and I stood on the cold stairs for many minutes. To suggest this is an international airport is a joke and it’s time things improved. Don’t get me started on the time it took to claim our luggage, again, was it such a surprise that our flight arrived? I have endured poor service on many occasions at Newcastle airport and it’s time things improved. Possibly the worst airport in the world, seriously!

"Another trouble-free journey"

Unverified | Another trouble-free journey through Newcastle Airport, this time going to Venice via Amsterdam with KLM. Short queues at security but they pulled one of our cabin bags as the screen had showed it contained lots of wires. A pleasant and efficient official opened the case and examined the bag of phone and computer charges - certainly not a problem to us, under present circumstances! After that passport control was a breeze and we were through into the waiting area. This is the problem place at Newcastle, where all the public seating had been absorbed into the bars and food outfits, so everyone just goes and sits in there at the sticky tables. Was much better a few years ago when there were some proper seats. Flight information was good and clear and we boarded on time. Our return was on schedule with fortunately no other flights arriving, so again we were quickly thorugh passport control, with the usual friendly officials, and out into an empty concourse. Trouble free - that's what I like about Newcastle Airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2017