Newcastle Airport

"should hang their heads in shame"

Trip Verified | Arrived on Emirates flight from Dubai on Friday 23rd March, on leaving the aircraft we had to descend 2 flights of stairs inside the terminal building following the directional signage to baggage reclaim only to be required to climb 2 flights of stairs to get back to the original level. The escalator was turned off to accommodate the sheer volume of passengers queueing to reach passport control, I would estimate 300 passengers queueing and another vast amount behind me. On reaching the passport control some 25 minutes later only 6 passport booths available at the end of taped off queueing areas ideally suited to cattle control. The description 'International Airport' beggars belief perhaps the advertising standards should check out this claim. An appalling standard the directors and management should hang their heads in shame.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"terminal is well planned and spacious"

Trip Verified | Very good alternative to Leeds and Manchester which are both nearer to me in distance. The great thing about Newcastle is space. The terminal is well planned and spacious with room to move around without bumping into other passengers. Road access and parking are very good and easy to navigate. Security was well handled and people were polite. Lots of food and retail outlets but some of the food is very expensive for the offer. UK regional airports (including the so-called northern gateway to the world at Manchester) seem averse to air bridge provision and revert to steps wherever possible despite the appalling climate. Apart from this also being the case at NCL I found the airport a pleasant experience. Unlike some other airports in the North of England it seems managers here are competent.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Queues were long and very slow"

Not Verified | I returned to the UK this week after a month long trip to South East Asia. During my time away I undertook 8 flights with airlines, Emirates, Air Asia and Bangkok Airlines, all of which were great, especially Air Asia. However after 2 flights from Bali totalling over 19 hours arriving into Newcastle was grim! The Emirates flight had a longer than usual wait for steps to be attached to enable passengers to disembark. What it such a surprise that our flight arrived, I think not! The steps were old and very shaky to use, not great in the wind and rain. On entering the building we were confronted by a broken escalator so passengers had to use this as stairs alongside the staircase. Queues were long and very slow and I stood on the cold stairs for many minutes. To suggest this is an international airport is a joke and it’s time things improved. Don’t get me started on the time it took to claim our luggage, again, was it such a surprise that our flight arrived? I have endured poor service on many occasions at Newcastle airport and it’s time things improved. Possibly the worst airport in the world, seriously!

"Another trouble-free journey"

Unverified | Another trouble-free journey through Newcastle Airport, this time going to Venice via Amsterdam with KLM. Short queues at security but they pulled one of our cabin bags as the screen had showed it contained lots of wires. A pleasant and efficient official opened the case and examined the bag of phone and computer charges - certainly not a problem to us, under present circumstances! After that passport control was a breeze and we were through into the waiting area. This is the problem place at Newcastle, where all the public seating had been absorbed into the bars and food outfits, so everyone just goes and sits in there at the sticky tables. Was much better a few years ago when there were some proper seats. Flight information was good and clear and we boarded on time. Our return was on schedule with fortunately no other flights arriving, so again we were quickly thorugh passport control, with the usual friendly officials, and out into an empty concourse. Trouble free - that's what I like about Newcastle Airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"queues spilling onto the tarmac"

Unverified | Out going journey fine, no problems other than pricey food and drinks as at all airports and the restaurant tables were sticky despite somebody giving them a cursory wipe with a spray bottle and cloth. Return journey - landed on time and kept sitting on the plane as 2 other planes had landed just before us and due to (again) a shortage of staff we had to wait until those 2 other planes had been off loaded of passengers and luggage. Once we were let off the plane the queues were spilling onto the tarmac so the bus (a very jerky stop start journey toppling passengers onto each other) took us to another arrival hall. We walked up the stairs and joined the queue. Landing time 1.30 am - time waiting on plane approx 15 minutes - time we got through passport control 02.50. Children getting fractious and crying causing parents and other passengers stress, couples starting to get irritable with each other and lack of information from anybody as to what was happening. It was extremely hot and uncomfortable from start to finish - a large airport like this should be aware of what flights are arriving and when, and staff the airport accordingly - ruins what is a pretty decent airport
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"certain areas need a good clean"

Verified Review | Friendly staff but certain areas need a good clean, in particular The Beer House bar and restaurant, very dirty. I appreciate it must be difficult when the airport is busy 24/7 but there is no excuse, it looks like it has not had a deep clean in months.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"put a sour note to the end of a great holiday"

Verified Review | On arriving back into Newcastle the passport control officer was far too intimidating, giving me contemptuous looks and frightening my young son. Why? I do hope he gets told to tone this attitude down. Someone in authority needs to just keep a check on how their border control staff behave. Most of us are decent everyday folk and don't need to feel frightened and intimidated. Yet the family beside me got a lovely friendly welcome back from the female officer. It really put a sour note to the end of a great holiday.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"much smoother and less stressful this year"

Verified Review | My journey through NCL this year was much smoother and less stressful this year. However, I am going to start off on a bad note: parking. It took ten minutes to find a free space in their inadequate gravel bays that were designed for tiny little 1980s cars, not the cars of the future. A multi-storey in this day and age would be much appreciated. However, most of the other stuff was good. Walking in, the check-in desks were quite chaotic with long lines but as we were with Jet2, we were pointed to dedicated desks and our bags were dropped off in 5 minutes. Security was fine and it only took 10 minutes to be scanned and through Duty Free. We were at airside within 30 minutes of arriving at the airport. The efficiency of Newcastle Airport is what I like. Of the food options we had the options of (Burger King, Flying Hippo, Upper Crust, Caffe Ritazza, Boots, WH Smith, Cabin and Bar 11) we decided to go to Flying Hippo as it did not look busy. We had a decent meal there but it was a bit overpriced. This is to be expected for an airport though. The toilets are very clean and they look all new and shiny which is always good for this sort of building. The wifi has changed. They now offer fully free wifi across the terminal as long as you validate your email address. The connection speed is fast and it literally took two seconds to log in. Coming back in, we only had to queue for about ten minutes in passport controls and we were at the car park within 30 minutes of arriving at the terminal. All in all, I would say that NCL is one of the better airports.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"arriving to departure it's a scam"

Unverified | Newcastle Airport is a rip-off. From arriving to departure it's a scam. We used a 6 seater taxi to take us to the airport. Drop off charge is £2.50 for the experience. Alternatively you can use the medium stay car park free but at a far greater distance to walk to the terminals. Once inside the terminals you can enjoy "run of the mill" food and beverage at severely inflated ripoff prices. By the way, do not under any circumstances believe the signs outside in car park. I recently took a customer to the car hire compound. I followed the signs directing all vehicles to compound where upon at the end of the road you are greeted with a sign stating authorised vehicles only and hire vehicles only past this point. As I had to drop my customer off I stopped outside the compound. 2 weeks later I received a letter with a fine for £100. Scam is not a good enough word. I used Glasgow airport 2 years ago and was very impressed with the savings we made on our holiday and shopping experience. Newcastle airport bosses should hang their heads in shame.
Date VisitMay 2017

"Wish all airports were like this"

Verified Review | Wish all airports were like this. Quick baggage drop, no problems at security, straight through passport control. Above all, everyone has a friendly attitude and actually smiles! This is the first time we have experienced the new lounge layout, a bit like Manchester where you have to follow the wibbly-wobbly way through the shops to get to the waiting area, but then the number of seats seems to have been reduced, unless you count those in the various bars and food outlets. Still the same stupid requirement to show your boarding pass just to buy a newspaper, though! Gate was called on time, and just a short walk to the aircraft. Easy, trouble-free start to the holiday.
Date VisitApril 2017