Newcastle Airport

"Got through in no time"

Trip Verified | High marks for NCL. Planned my departure so that there would be few people queuing for security. I was number 3 in line and there were three available security lines. Got through in no time. As per usual, these days, one has to go through duty free to get to the gates. Rather good amount of shopping for a small airport, but few services once you get to the gate areas. Doubletree Hotel at the airport, and Metro takes you to city center in about 20 minutes.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"airport should have organised accordingly"

Not Verified | We travelled to Lanzarote on 05 June from Newcastle and I will say that it was well organised and we had no complaints. Travelling back in the around hours of 13 June however was a totally different experience! We landed early and entered the terminal building to be faced with a queue for passport control at the bottom of the turned off elevator. To get through the e-passport system took over 1 hour. People with non EU passports actually cleared customs well in advance of us. Should we by chance had a connecting flight we would have missed it. Also approximately 20% of the people failed the e-passport and had to re-queue and go through the old fashioned way. We were given the excuse that 5 flights had landed simeltaneously but I do think that air traffic control knew exactly what time each flight would land so the airport should have organised accordingly. It was shoddy and makes you consider using other airports. We have never had the issues at Leeds Bradford!

"it was shockingly slow"

Not Verified | I have travelled from and to Newcastle airport many many times without any kind of complaints. During the early hours of Sunday morning landed disembarked via a tunnel downstairs then back upstairs to arrive at massive gridlock of people waiting to go through passport control, it snaked dangerously up a staircase and stopped escalator then zig zagged through the departure area. There were two flights and around 400/500 passengers all waiting at least one hour to pass through. The use of electronic passport checking should speed up things but it was shockingly slow. I would hate to be here in a few weeks time at peak holiday period. For an "international airport" it just isn't good enough.

"herded like cattle"

Not Verified | Took 1 hour to get through departure. Herded like cattle, no time to grab a drink before boarding. We arrived 2 hours before take off. Arriving home to Newcastle the escalators were turned of and again treated like cattle. E-passport system not good and we had to eventually go to border person. It took nearly an hour to get through, it was awful. We all pay good money to go on vacation - why are we treated so abysmally?
Date VisitJune 2018

"nearly an hour to reach border control"

Trip Verified | Departing from this airport is a pleasant experience in all aspects, however arriving back to the U.K. is nothing short of a joke. Our flight landed at 12.57 am and after a short walk to the terminal there was an escalator at which there was a sea of people at the top we had to shout to ask people to move forward as there were more people behind us, there could have easily been a nasty accident at this point as there were passengers from 2 flights trying to get through border control. It took us nearly an hour to reach border control to find one very surly woman at a desk who only very occasionally beckoned passengers to her desk to be cleared, thankfully she did usher the few people with children through but most of the time she just sat and watched her 2 colleagues trying to ferry passengers through the e machines and only 5 e-passport machines at that, there should have been more desks manned considering there would have been over 400 passengers trying to clear customs at this point this is quite clearly not enough and is not acceptable if this is the system they wish to use. When we finally reached the luggage carousel we found in their infinite wisdom they had put the luggage from both flights on one carousel thankfully we didn’t have to wait long for ours we finally left the airport at 2.05am. Considering this is supposed to be an international airport they really need to get their act together and sort it out, if it’s like this with 2 flights god only knows how they will cope when they probably have more than 2 arrive during the day.
Date VisitJune 2018

"not to use meet and greet"

Trip Verified | This is our local airport and in general it is an excellent airport from which to depart and arrive. However, I write this to inform passengers of an unreliable 'meet and greet' Car parking system. I have only used it three times and had problems on two separate occasions. On the first occasion we arrived back very early morning and Our car was not there. We had to wait for it to be collected and brought to the meet and greet between 20 and 25 minutes. The second occasion was fine. On the last occasion I booked online and paid for a gold standard valet £39.99 On arrival I was told they do not valet cars during May and June. After a conversation they said they would honour this. Arriving back at 1.00am I found the valet had not been done. Whilst I am sure I will get a refund and probably a verbal apology, I am not confident this will change the service for others. These issues may be minor but they do leave a frustrating feeling when you have had a wonderful holiday. My advice to travellers would be not to use meet and greet. The airport is small and both short and medium term parking is close. I will not be using again.
Date VisitJune 2018

"25 minutes to clear passport control"

Not Verified | Normally we are happy with our experience in this airport. However on arrival at Newcastle on Sunday 13th May it took 25 minutes to clear passport control - not a good experience at all. New e-passport booths have been introduced but the system could not deal with the volume of passengers and officers were herding people like cattle.
Date VisitMay 2018

"how awful an airport it is"

Not Verified | From start to finish it was an absolute disgrace how people were treated. From standing in the queue I witnessed an old lady be shouted at by security for going over the yellow line too quickly. It was like a cattle market being shouted at and giving us all in to trouble if we weren’t placing things in trays quick enough. A smile or politeness would not go amiss from entering your airport! Maybe some staff training on this might help - maybe not! Then we go to the boarding, unfortunately I thought my partner had brought my case and he thought I had it. So we were told Very abruptly and ignorantly we had 1 minute until he ran and got it and if he wasn’t back the flight would leave without us. People were still boarding and my partner got the case and rushed back in time for the flight - the problem that became apparent here, a girl made myself (a 28 year old pregnant woman) feel like a little girl in big trouble at school. I am perfectly aware we should have made sure we had my case but being pregnant and looking after my mum who struggles to walk was more important at the time. I have never in all of my life wrote a complaint as I always see the positive side however I come on holiday to enjoy myself from start to finish- the majority of your staff made this impossible. Not everyone but the majority did. On returning it felt like we were an inconvenience through the airport then the car park over charged us and wouldn’t answer help button. I will honestly never pass through your airport again and will make it well known how awful an airport it is. Like wise for the other 2 people in my company. Only positive was the lovely smiley Spanish flight attendant. Made a difference seeing a smile on someone’s face!
Date VisitMay 2018

"such inconvenience"

Trip Verified | On Saturday night. I arrived on a flight from Malta, when we got bussed to the terminal. When we arrived the escalator was turned off to accommodate the sheer volume of passengers queueing to reach passport control. I would estimate 300 passengers queueing ahead of me and most of passengers of my flight behind me. From discussions we overheard by Jet2 personnel a further flight had just landed and the passengers were being kept on the plane. On reaching the passport control some 45 minutes later only 3 Border Police were available to process all these passengers. No apologies, no comments from anybody at the airport. I think that Newcastle Airport/Border Control should at the very least apologise to every single passenger that has experienced such inconvenience.
Date VisitApril 2018

"should hang their heads in shame"

Trip Verified | Arrived on Emirates flight from Dubai on Friday 23rd March, on leaving the aircraft we had to descend 2 flights of stairs inside the terminal building following the directional signage to baggage reclaim only to be required to climb 2 flights of stairs to get back to the original level. The escalator was turned off to accommodate the sheer volume of passengers queueing to reach passport control, I would estimate 300 passengers queueing and another vast amount behind me. On reaching the passport control some 25 minutes later only 6 passport booths available at the end of taped off queueing areas ideally suited to cattle control. The description 'International Airport' beggars belief perhaps the advertising standards should check out this claim. An appalling standard the directors and management should hang their heads in shame.
Date VisitMarch 2018