Top 100 Airlines

Newark Airport

"has no air-conditioning"

The process is very similar to other airports we have traveled to, the terminal A (our departure) has no air-conditioning and is extremely uncomfortable, we noticed 1 senior who was struggling with the heat and needed a wheechair due to dizziness. Wear shorts if you are using this terminal.
Date VisitMay 2016

"TSA needs to get their act together"

After a 9 hour flight from Copenhagen, Denmark, May 14, 2016 we arrived at EWR, with 3 hours between our connecting United Flight to Orlando, went right through Passport control with no problems, we had to collect our luggage walk it through security and check it in again for domestic flight. Then the fun began, even though we were checked all the way through to Orlando, we had to go through TSA again, we were cleared coming from Europe, no direction at EWR. After being told to go upstairs for TSA of course that was wrong (that was for business class and economy plus) was sent downstairs for economy TSA, I have never seen a line so long. We ran to our United Flight that was still at the gate, there was 20 people who was stuck in the TSA line that United would not open the doors for. The next flight was the last flight, sold out "stand by only" we came so close to spending the night at EWR. TSA needs to get their act together.
Date VisitMay 2016

"staff were officious and uncooperative"

I was told to allow 2 hours to get from NYC to EWR on public transport. They were correct. It was all very efficient and pleasant and cheap enough but slow. Check in was efficient enough. The security check took one hour to get through and the staff were officious and uncooperative. We were directed back and forth 4 times before we decided to join a queue and stay there. I was yelled at to take my shoes off after being told several times that I did not need to because I was TSA preapproved. Then presumably because I was a bit slow my ordinary Apple laptop got the full treatment including swabs for explosives. I had to wait until one of the staff had enough energy to do this. They were busy having a conversation in French. Food options inside were adequate but expensive. If you can, dine before you get to the airport.
Date VisitApril 2016

"a really pleasant experience"

After reading numerous reviews over the last month or so I was a little apprehensive of how our experience at Newark airport would be - pleasantly surprised. Arriving at Newark we found all members of staff to be helpful and courteous, a really pleasant experience compared to some European airports.
Date VisitApril 2016

"said we were holding people up"

After a 9 hour flight from Barcelona, we picked up our luggage, went thru customs, and had to redeposit our luggage for connecting flight. Obviously, most people would be exhausted at this point. The man directing us to put our luggage on the belt for connecting flight was extremely rude and said we were holding people up, although the people behind us were quite some distance behind us and we weren't holding anyone up. How fortunate for him he doesn't have to be remotely respectful or helpful and is able to keep his job.
Date VisitApril 2016

"30 min trek through security"

I travel 2 to 3 per week for work. This airport is the worst I have to suffer through. In more than a year of back and forth through here, only once was there TSA Precheck available. I get priority which seems to make no difference on the sometimes 30 mins trek through security. No other airport has such horrible TSA experiences - why is Newark different?

"security lines disorganised"

At Newark Airport the security lines are disorganised - there are no trays, signs tell you to take out your laptop, then staff tell you to put it back again. No checking of liquids. Lines cross each other, people don't know where to go. At the terminal the toilets are dirty and the automatic flushes don't work. You can order food using an iPad, with a bad layout. You pay for your own food by scanning things, which don't easily scan. You can ask for a text message when the food is ready, but only if you have a US cell phone. My eggs benedict took 25 minutes, and during this time, I had to stand and wait. There is no system to let you know if the food is yours, be prepared to stand and wait while your coffee goes cold. The whole thing is misconceived and really bad.
Date VisitApril 2016

"maybe things have improved"

Since my last review of Newark in 2015 I have a feeling that the immigration officers in their little booths have been on some customer training. There were five of them working to clear our Glasgow flight, and although the guy that dealt with my wife and me was no less surly than usual, he at least spoke English and tried not to mumble. I did not notice the normal group of donut eating coffee drinking immigration officers clustered around their office, so maybe things have also improved there. The "welcoming face of the USA" is still totally lacking, and if you can possibly avoid Newark, then my advise would be to do so.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"harassed and talked down to"

Newark Liberty Airport - very unfriendly staff, filthy bathrooms (I actually turned around and walked out and waited to board the plane). The TSA agents there act as if you are inmates and they are prison guards. Never in my life have I been so harassed and talked down to. My luggage was checked without them notifying me. Tossed around my belongings with no discretion whatsoever. When it was time to leave for the gate, we were lost and couldn't find any help. We did make it to our gate, but not because anyone aided us. Never again.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"No food. No retail. No newsstand"

It is a crime that the greatest city in the world has the worst airports on the planet. Here are some examples: - At Terminal C (United), there are no services outside the TSA checkpoints. No food. No retail. No newsstand. Once inside security at Terminal C, United has done an admirable job providing a decent array of distractions while heading to your gate or waiting for a connecting flight. They earn a 1 out of 10 for that. - If you are unfortunate enough to be waiting for an arriving passenger at terminal C, you have a choice. You can stand, or you can sit on the steps between level 2 and level 3. Until someone wants to actually use the steps to get from level to level. Then you have to stand. I bring a beach chair when I'm meeting an arriving passenger. - Terminal B is a smidgen better. Not much, but enough to show how bad terminal C really is. At least there is a fast-food court and a few couches and lounge chairs outside security. - Until very recently there was no cell phone lot, so cars (mostly car services) lined up along the shoulder of Interstate 78 waiting for their arriving passengers, right in front of sign that reads "Emergency Stopping Only". Usually a New Jersey State Trooper shows up and gives tickets. When the first cell phone lot was created it was so far away from the 3 terminals that you might as well have stayed home. - The on-airport long term parking is so poor that an entire industry has been created, providing off-site parking with free shuttle buses to and from the terminals. But since there is no official waiting area at each terminal for the shuttles, when you call to be picked up upon arrival, you are instructed to meet them in a manner more akin to some clandestine bag drop. "Meet me to the left of door 1 on the lower level in 10 minutes." Somehow these off-site companies manage to make money charging $9/day, including the shuttle. One would think it would be possible for the Port Authority of NY and NJ, the bi-state agency that runs the airports in NY, to do the same. Many other airports have found a way to provide long term parking immediately adjacent to the terminals. What a concept. But the on-site long-term parking at Newark, run by the Port Authority charges $18/day for a lot that according to the airport website is "approximately 3 miles from the terminal area." So, to go away for a long weekend and park your car for 4 days on-site will cost you $72 and have to take a shuttle bus to/from the terminal. Or you can use an off-site private company and pay $36 including the shuttle. If you want to park adjacent to the terminal, Newark Airport does offer short-term parking options for $4 per 1/2 hour up to a max of $33/day. - The good news is that you can pay with EZ-Pass. The bad news is that if you choose a lane that allows payment by cash, credit card OR EZ-Pass, you actually have to take the EZ-Pass transponder off the windshield and hand it to the attendant. Not very EZ. You can't make this stuff up. - Newark Airport is actually wonderful compared to LaGuardia. See my review of that airport. My advice to first-time visitors to NY is to get here anyway you can except by air.
Date VisitJanuary 2016