Top 100 Airports

Newark Airport

"old, worn and cramped"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | I arrived at Newark Airport for transit to a domestic flight to Memphis. General view of this airport is that it is old, worn and cramped. Also it was not as clean, as I am used to. It was also poor air conditioning and it was warm. It took quite a lot of time to get from the international terminal via the immigration control and get to the United Airlines domestic terminal. The immigration control was correct, polite and efficient, and can be regarded as a better part of this airport. The seats were simple and not so comfortable. They offer some dining but it was not at standards as I am used to. It was expensive there too. The restrooms was not clean and non-functional. I was indeed happy when I left this airport, sad but true. One of the worst so far in my view. I will avoid it if possible.
Date VisitJune 2016

"antiquated and inadequate"

Unfortunately, despite the significant traffic through Newark airport, and the proximity to the economic powerhouse NYC conferrs, this airport is antiquated and inadequate. WiFi? Forget about it - 30 min free, and charges after. Luckily AT&T cell signal is blazing fast. But as an airport offering it is poor. Signs and directions? Nil especially finding Terminal A from C. Then terminal C renovations, cramped, narrow. Terminal A - antiquated, no tables to eat, poor connectivity (plugs, tables) and same Boingo charges. Washrooms are too few, poor restaurant options.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"not a great experience"

Verified Review | Newark is the opposite of a user-friendly airport. Pull up to curbside and there's no one at the check-in area. Once inside and checked in, everyone, including TSA pre-selects, stands in the same single file line. They have only one security screening machine. Give yourself plenty of time. The bathrooms in Concourse A number 1 per gender. Get ready to stand in line if you're of the female gender. Oh yeah, and the air dryer doesn't work nor were there any paper towels to dry off your hands. As for collecting luggage upon arrival, I thought the workers were on strike because it took so long. Not a great experience.

"a pleasant experience"

Verified Review | I am handicapped, can't walk long distances. For at Newark Airport I ordered a wheechair which made my travels so much easier. The friendly person waited for us as we deboarded. There was no problem when my students were following us. This guy took us to a special exit, we were through immigraton and customs in no time. 60 minutes after deboarding we were already in our hotel. That was a pleasant experience for our little group of 6 people.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"very confusing signage"

Do not use terminal C, United Airlines. Very confusing signage plus no facility to have a last minute drink with loved ones. None at all. Had to leave my mother with hours to go as there was nowhere to sit with her. When she went through security not only was United 4 hours delayed but she could not get a drink or anything to eat as she does not have a credit card. She only had cash. Will never use United or terminal C again.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"airport is dirty and confusing"

The airport is dirty and confusing. The TSA agents are the worst I have encountered. My family and I stood at the front of the line (not moving) for at least 10 minutes while the TSA agent proceeded to yell at the entire line about previous line goers (in other words, other people) who had attempted to come through with water bottles. After about 8 minutes, the line was getting rather agitated (several people were late for their flight) and my 3 year old autistic daughter was distraught in my arms. I asked (in a very polite voice) could he tone down his speech because he was really upsetting her (explained her condition) and I believe he actually got louder and continued for several minutes. It was extremely abusive. My husband then overheard him ask the other agent to randomly select one of our bags for additional screening because I had asked him to use a softer tone. I will never fly out of this airport again. The only saving grace was flying into one of the best (Fort Myers).
Date VisitJuly 2016

"painful each and every time"

I travel through Newark airport at least 6 times a year for business and it is painful each and every time. The TSA is not staffed properly to handle the amount of travelers coming through there. I have TSA precheck and there has never once been a dedicated TSA checkpoint that handles those passengers who paid for and were cleared for this convenient way to get through security. It was extremely hot as soon as you were in the long security line that was moving at a snails pace. When you get through security you may make a bee line for the Hudson News to grab a cold water but that space is even warmer. There is no excuse for an airport that serves so many passengers and airlines to not have proper air circulation and temperatures. The bathrooms are not great either. Only two sit down places to eat in the terminal I am in every time I travel to and from the area. I don't look forward to travelling through this airport and when I can I go through PHL as it is a much better choice all around.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"more traffic than it can handle"

This airport seems to get far more traffic than it can handle. My flight into Newark was delayed so long we were in danger of running out of fuel and had to fly to Wilkes Barre, PA to refuel, then fly back to Newark. There, we sat on the runway for more than 30 minutes waiting to get to our gate. Once at the gate, gate-checked baggage took another 20 minutes to appear. Consequently, I missed my outbound flight and spent a miserable 6 hours waiting for the next one.
Date VisitJune 2016

"area very bleak and unwelcoming"

Having arrived at the airport after a long drive (please note almost non existent road signage to the airport until you are almost on the runway) - was met as usual by surly, over-assertive staff who seem to be equally rude to everyone. Signage in the terminal is poor and arrival area very bleak and unwelcoming. Security checks somewhat cursory and no trays for belongings going through the scanner. On a very hot day, the air conditioning was not adequate. Gate number changed several times (with long walks between gates). At one gate where we waited for over an hour, the wrong flight was still on the board and nobody had the sense to clear it. The ground staff appeared to not have a clue what was happening and the information to passengers was sparse. At one point the ground staff were looking out of the window to see if they could spot a plan moving towards the gate (so much for modern technology). Having then been moved to another gate - after yet another long walk - ground staff informed that the plane for London was still at yet another gate and they would have to taxi it round. Flight delayed 2.5 hours for all of this. Appalling airport, organisation and staff.
Date VisitMay 2016

"has no air-conditioning"

The process is very similar to other airports we have traveled to, the terminal A (our departure) has no air-conditioning and is extremely uncomfortable, we noticed 1 senior who was struggling with the heat and needed a wheechair due to dizziness. Wear shorts if you are using this terminal.
Date VisitMay 2016