Newark Airport

Review by (United Kingdom)

Slow connections / bad public service to. Broken security X-ray machine. Bad signage. Majority of restaurants operated by dreadful OTG Company that have lack of choice and card only policy - very restrictive.

Review by (United Kingdom)

At security, I did the usual thing of emptying metal objects from my pockets. After passing through the body scanner, I was shouted at in a very intimidating way by a security official for not emptying everything out of my pockets (I had some dollar bills, a comb and a handkerchief still in my pockets). I was shocked at this bullying attitude. I was unaware that I needed to empty absolutely everything out of my pockets and I apologized to the security official for this. I have never been treated so disgracefully. His intimidating attitude made me feel small and it ruined what was, up until then, a very nice holiday in New York. Is this the way Newark Liberty Airport treats its guests? When I return to New York, I will avoid this airport.

Review by (United States)

For a while I was convinced I was passing through a third-world airport. Deplaned in Terminal A from my AA flight from Chicago, headed to Terminal B for my flight to LHR on BA. Arrived at the AirTrain station only to find the up escalator not functioning. Worst if all, no one was working to fix it. Interminable wait to board the single elevator which held only about a dozen people. Arrived at the train stop only to wait over ten minutes for the next train, when they are supposed to run every four minutes. Most poorly designed people mover I have ever seen. Narrow doors, one person at a time, people exit thru the same door thru which they boarded. Each car hold only about twelve people. Unbelievable waste of space, and extraordinarily inefficient. All this paled in comparison to the TSA experience. Twelve to fourteen employees working, only one line of passengers being processed, despite equipment for two lines. Horrendous line of passengers. Absolute incompetence. Fly through here at your own risk.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (United States)

Never seen the airport clean. The restrooms are filthy. Unflushed toilets, toilet paper all over. If the airport authorities are going to promote this airport, better start with the restrooms. The seating areas are equally nasty - torn seats, litter and so on.

Review by (United States)

We had two-hour layover between flights from Frankfurt, Germany to St Louis. Immigration took 1.5 hours and security check 30 mins and we missed the departure time. On the passport control, 30% of kiosks worked and the process was extremely slow. Why does Homeland Security do nothing to improve airport passport control and security.

Review by (Belgium)

The ground staff are rude, there is no difference between business check-in and economy one, both with the minimum staff. There are almost no shops and it is impossible to buy international newspapers. The business lounges of United are well below standards.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Having passed through Newark twice in 2 weeks, it must be the worst airport in the USA or possibly the western hemisphere. My family and I had 3 hours after landing from Belfast NI on a United flight, to connect to a flight to Orlando, we missed it. 2.5 hours in immigration. The staff were disinterested in the fact you have a connecting flight, most of then can hardly speak English, so why are they there in the first place? The immigration officers are slow and there is not enough of them. We had to collect our baggage and then get through security even though we had a connecting flight. On the way back from Orlando we had a 2 hr 11 min flight and then a 3 hour wait to the flight back to Belfast, all with United Airlines. When we touched down (on time), there was no gate for our plane to go to, and then when we got a gate there was a plane at it, then when it left the pilot could not taxi to the gate, but had to be towed, but there was no one to tow the plane, then when we got to the get there was no one to attach the ramp to the plane. One hour later we finally got off the plane, Hang your head in shame Newark. You are not part of the American dream, in fact you are a nightmare to all that cross your threshold.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (Canada)

What a bad airport. Horrible at best. It looks as if the last time it was renovated was in the 60s: small crowded waiting areas at the gates, broken chairs, torn padding, not enough outlets (people were huddled up over the few outlets that were available to charge their phones), small decrepit washrooms, very few food/shopping options, and no free wifi. Getting stuck in that airport for 5 hours while waiting for delayed flights is true torture. I was initially in Terminal A at gates A11-18, then A22-28. At least the lines at security weren't that long in the evening, but it is very hard to find anything real positive to say about this airport. I am now dreading the fact that I already have an international connection through it in the summer.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Just come back via Newark to the UK and I was bitterly disappointed with everything after Security ie on the air- side. We'd taken a fair amount of cash with us for a significant anniversary and had quite an amount we wanted to spend rather than change back to £'s at a pretty poor rate. Imagine my dismay to find you don't appear to be able to pay cash for the anything vaguely expensive so trying to pay for an expensive meal to get rid of your dollars was a total failure. The meal we had was expensive and 2 x major issues: We ordered some sides but they delivered one with the starters! Why? A starter was badly burnt - why would any decent chef even think about sending it out? It tasted so bad I had to send it back. The Duty Free is also really poor. We flew from Birmingham UK which probably has a fraction to the Newark passenger numbers but hugely bigger duty free areas. Perhaps its because Newark has 3 x sites? Also the Internet - why not free as Birmingham Uk or a really easy way to pay for a "one off event" rather than limit it to hours. You have no control over wether your flight will be delayed after all. If I go the the USA on business I'll ask our travel organisers if I can go another way.

Review by (Canada)

Other than its great location of being close to New York - Jersey City there are no real redeeming qualities. Customs - Queues are between 0 to infinitely long depending on how many CBP officers feel like working. I soon figured out which officers to ignore as they were prone to having lengthy "And I think...." talks versus the stamp "Welcome back Sir". Facilities - they are never clean enough terminal B mens room always has a broken stall (every week). Food options in departure are horrible. A Dunkin Donuts stall would actually elevate it to 3 star rating. The pre clearance area however has vastly improved. No one spends time in the pre-clearance area as the Clearance area can have line ups as long as 45mins - reason TSA. Usually commute via YTZ-EWR on Porter.