top100_2016

Newark Airport

"airport is dirty and confusing"

The airport is dirty and confusing. The TSA agents are the worst I have encountered. My family and I stood at the front of the line (not moving) for at least 10 minutes while the TSA agent proceeded to yell at the entire line about previous line goers (in other words, other people) who had attempted to come through with water bottles. After about 8 minutes, the line was getting rather agitated (several people were late for their flight) and my 3 year old autistic daughter was distraught in my arms. I asked (in a very polite voice) could he tone down his speech because he was really upsetting her (explained her condition) and I believe he actually got louder and continued for several minutes. It was extremely abusive. My husband then overheard him ask the other agent to randomly select one of our bags for additional screening because I had asked him to use a softer tone. I will never fly out of this airport again. The only saving grace was flying into one of the best (Fort Myers).
Date VisitJuly 2016

"painful each and every time"

I travel through Newark airport at least 6 times a year for business and it is painful each and every time. The TSA is not staffed properly to handle the amount of travelers coming through there. I have TSA precheck and there has never once been a dedicated TSA checkpoint that handles those passengers who paid for and were cleared for this convenient way to get through security. It was extremely hot as soon as you were in the long security line that was moving at a snails pace. When you get through security you may make a bee line for the Hudson News to grab a cold water but that space is even warmer. There is no excuse for an airport that serves so many passengers and airlines to not have proper air circulation and temperatures. The bathrooms are not great either. Only two sit down places to eat in the terminal I am in every time I travel to and from the area. I don't look forward to travelling through this airport and when I can I go through PHL as it is a much better choice all around.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"more traffic than it can handle"

This airport seems to get far more traffic than it can handle. My flight into Newark was delayed so long we were in danger of running out of fuel and had to fly to Wilkes Barre, PA to refuel, then fly back to Newark. There, we sat on the runway for more than 30 minutes waiting to get to our gate. Once at the gate, gate-checked baggage took another 20 minutes to appear. Consequently, I missed my outbound flight and spent a miserable 6 hours waiting for the next one.
Date VisitJune 2016

"area very bleak and unwelcoming"

Having arrived at the airport after a long drive (please note almost non existent road signage to the airport until you are almost on the runway) - was met as usual by surly, over-assertive staff who seem to be equally rude to everyone. Signage in the terminal is poor and arrival area very bleak and unwelcoming. Security checks somewhat cursory and no trays for belongings going through the scanner. On a very hot day, the air conditioning was not adequate. Gate number changed several times (with long walks between gates). At one gate where we waited for over an hour, the wrong flight was still on the board and nobody had the sense to clear it. The ground staff appeared to not have a clue what was happening and the information to passengers was sparse. At one point the ground staff were looking out of the window to see if they could spot a plan moving towards the gate (so much for modern technology). Having then been moved to another gate - after yet another long walk - ground staff informed that the plane for London was still at yet another gate and they would have to taxi it round. Flight delayed 2.5 hours for all of this. Appalling airport, organisation and staff.

"has no air-conditioning"

The process is very similar to other airports we have traveled to, the terminal A (our departure) has no air-conditioning and is extremely uncomfortable, we noticed 1 senior who was struggling with the heat and needed a wheechair due to dizziness. Wear shorts if you are using this terminal.
Date VisitMay 2016

"TSA needs to get their act together"

After a 9 hour flight from Copenhagen, Denmark, May 14, 2016 we arrived at EWR, with 3 hours between our connecting United Flight to Orlando, went right through Passport control with no problems, we had to collect our luggage walk it through security and check it in again for domestic flight. Then the fun began, even though we were checked all the way through to Orlando, we had to go through TSA again, we were cleared coming from Europe, no direction at EWR. After being told to go upstairs for TSA of course that was wrong (that was for business class and economy plus) was sent downstairs for economy TSA, I have never seen a line so long. We ran to our United Flight that was still at the gate, there was 20 people who was stuck in the TSA line that United would not open the doors for. The next flight was the last flight, sold out "stand by only" we came so close to spending the night at EWR. TSA needs to get their act together.
Date VisitMay 2016

"staff were officious and uncooperative"

I was told to allow 2 hours to get from NYC to EWR on public transport. They were correct. It was all very efficient and pleasant and cheap enough but slow. Check in was efficient enough. The security check took one hour to get through and the staff were officious and uncooperative. We were directed back and forth 4 times before we decided to join a queue and stay there. I was yelled at to take my shoes off after being told several times that I did not need to because I was TSA preapproved. Then presumably because I was a bit slow my ordinary Apple laptop got the full treatment including swabs for explosives. I had to wait until one of the staff had enough energy to do this. They were busy having a conversation in French. Food options inside were adequate but expensive. If you can, dine before you get to the airport.
Date VisitApril 2016

"a really pleasant experience"

After reading numerous reviews over the last month or so I was a little apprehensive of how our experience at Newark airport would be - pleasantly surprised. Arriving at Newark we found all members of staff to be helpful and courteous, a really pleasant experience compared to some European airports.
Date VisitApril 2016

"said we were holding people up"

After a 9 hour flight from Barcelona, we picked up our luggage, went thru customs, and had to redeposit our luggage for connecting flight. Obviously, most people would be exhausted at this point. The man directing us to put our luggage on the belt for connecting flight was extremely rude and said we were holding people up, although the people behind us were quite some distance behind us and we weren't holding anyone up. How fortunate for him he doesn't have to be remotely respectful or helpful and is able to keep his job.
Date VisitApril 2016

"30 min trek through security"

I travel 2 to 3 per week for work. This airport is the worst I have to suffer through. In more than a year of back and forth through here, only once was there TSA Precheck available. I get priority which seems to make no difference on the sometimes 30 mins trek through security. No other airport has such horrible TSA experiences - why is Newark different?