Top 100 Airlines

Newark Airport

"a really pleasant experience"

After reading numerous reviews over the last month or so I was a little apprehensive of how our experience at Newark airport would be - pleasantly surprised. Arriving at Newark we found all members of staff to be helpful and courteous, a really pleasant experience compared to some European airports.
Date VisitApril 2016

"said we were holding people up"

After a 9 hour flight from Barcelona, we picked up our luggage, went thru customs, and had to redeposit our luggage for connecting flight. Obviously, most people would be exhausted at this point. The man directing us to put our luggage on the belt for connecting flight was extremely rude and said we were holding people up, although the people behind us were quite some distance behind us and we weren't holding anyone up. How fortunate for him he doesn't have to be remotely respectful or helpful and is able to keep his job.
Date VisitApril 2016

"30 min trek through security"

I travel 2 to 3 per week for work. This airport is the worst I have to suffer through. In more than a year of back and forth through here, only once was there TSA Precheck available. I get priority which seems to make no difference on the sometimes 30 mins trek through security. No other airport has such horrible TSA experiences - why is Newark different?

"security lines disorganised"

At Newark Airport the security lines are disorganised - there are no trays, signs tell you to take out your laptop, then staff tell you to put it back again. No checking of liquids. Lines cross each other, people don't know where to go. At the terminal the toilets are dirty and the automatic flushes don't work. You can order food using an iPad, with a bad layout. You pay for your own food by scanning things, which don't easily scan. You can ask for a text message when the food is ready, but only if you have a US cell phone. My eggs benedict took 25 minutes, and during this time, I had to stand and wait. There is no system to let you know if the food is yours, be prepared to stand and wait while your coffee goes cold. The whole thing is misconceived and really bad.
Date VisitApril 2016

"maybe things have improved"

Since my last review of Newark in 2015 I have a feeling that the immigration officers in their little booths have been on some customer training. There were five of them working to clear our Glasgow flight, and although the guy that dealt with my wife and me was no less surly than usual, he at least spoke English and tried not to mumble. I did not notice the normal group of donut eating coffee drinking immigration officers clustered around their office, so maybe things have also improved there. The "welcoming face of the USA" is still totally lacking, and if you can possibly avoid Newark, then my advise would be to do so.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"harassed and talked down to"

Newark Liberty Airport - very unfriendly staff, filthy bathrooms (I actually turned around and walked out and waited to board the plane). The TSA agents there act as if you are inmates and they are prison guards. Never in my life have I been so harassed and talked down to. My luggage was checked without them notifying me. Tossed around my belongings with no discretion whatsoever. When it was time to leave for the gate, we were lost and couldn't find any help. We did make it to our gate, but not because anyone aided us. Never again.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"No food. No retail. No newsstand"

It is a crime that the greatest city in the world has the worst airports on the planet. Here are some examples: - At Terminal C (United), there are no services outside the TSA checkpoints. No food. No retail. No newsstand. Once inside security at Terminal C, United has done an admirable job providing a decent array of distractions while heading to your gate or waiting for a connecting flight. They earn a 1 out of 10 for that. - If you are unfortunate enough to be waiting for an arriving passenger at terminal C, you have a choice. You can stand, or you can sit on the steps between level 2 and level 3. Until someone wants to actually use the steps to get from level to level. Then you have to stand. I bring a beach chair when I'm meeting an arriving passenger. - Terminal B is a smidgen better. Not much, but enough to show how bad terminal C really is. At least there is a fast-food court and a few couches and lounge chairs outside security. - Until very recently there was no cell phone lot, so cars (mostly car services) lined up along the shoulder of Interstate 78 waiting for their arriving passengers, right in front of sign that reads "Emergency Stopping Only". Usually a New Jersey State Trooper shows up and gives tickets. When the first cell phone lot was created it was so far away from the 3 terminals that you might as well have stayed home. - The on-airport long term parking is so poor that an entire industry has been created, providing off-site parking with free shuttle buses to and from the terminals. But since there is no official waiting area at each terminal for the shuttles, when you call to be picked up upon arrival, you are instructed to meet them in a manner more akin to some clandestine bag drop. "Meet me to the left of door 1 on the lower level in 10 minutes." Somehow these off-site companies manage to make money charging $9/day, including the shuttle. One would think it would be possible for the Port Authority of NY and NJ, the bi-state agency that runs the airports in NY, to do the same. Many other airports have found a way to provide long term parking immediately adjacent to the terminals. What a concept. But the on-site long-term parking at Newark, run by the Port Authority charges $18/day for a lot that according to the airport website is "approximately 3 miles from the terminal area." So, to go away for a long weekend and park your car for 4 days on-site will cost you $72 and have to take a shuttle bus to/from the terminal. Or you can use an off-site private company and pay $36 including the shuttle. If you want to park adjacent to the terminal, Newark Airport does offer short-term parking options for $4 per 1/2 hour up to a max of $33/day. - The good news is that you can pay with EZ-Pass. The bad news is that if you choose a lane that allows payment by cash, credit card OR EZ-Pass, you actually have to take the EZ-Pass transponder off the windshield and hand it to the attendant. Not very EZ. You can't make this stuff up. - Newark Airport is actually wonderful compared to LaGuardia. See my review of that airport. My advice to first-time visitors to NY is to get here anyway you can except by air.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"real decline in the past two years"

The experience from leaving security to departing at the gate was dreadful and a real decline in the past two years. The airport staff I interacted with were consistently very rude and made me feel like it was my fault they had to work there - short answers and a lot of sighing and eye rolling. Once particular gentleman approached me while waiting at one of the food court stalls to ask if I understood (which the answer was yes) and he then made fun of 'dumb tourists' to his colleague while I was still within earshot. That being said, the food court interactions are unnecessarily complicated since the introduction of the self service tills, and none of the other restaurants/bars accept cash money of any kind (as well as the majority of SS tills), which is totally unacceptable when I am leaving a country and want to use my leftover currency. There is also confusion with signs about which security C area to go to form the lower level if you need to the lower security verification queue (needless to say the staff were once again rude or didn't know when asked).
Date VisitDecember 2015

"avoid at all costs"

Staff unhelpful and only made problems worse. Security signage is misleading and indicates you can enter through C1, C2 or C3 but in fact they all have certain gate numbers, and surly staff tell you you can't enter and send you to another area where the staff say the same thing. Dubai airport is easier to navigate and 10 times the size. Avoid using this airport at all costs.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"modern and airy, but I'm unimpressed"

1st restroom full, 2nd was filthy and unusable. Each is undersized with only 3 stalls. Very difficult to find the shuttle from C to A when it's hidden behind working area and there are no signs for A until you leave the area and turn around. Food choices try to be modern/stylish but completely miss the basic needs. I'm not a big McD fan but there's a lot to be said for a quick egg mcmuffin on the run, as opposed to having to navigate an iPad to order eggs to receive a mediocre plate of food for $19. I feel robbed. The iPad cleared the instant I completed the order, leaving me with no receipt, and not knowing if the order would be received until coffee appeared. And not least of the issues, employees in the way everywhere, strolling slowly, stood in restroom doorways, weaving a cart between two employees and being impossibles to pass. I see a WiFi reading in the survey, should there be working WiFi? There's no sign of it. It's modern and airy, but I'm totally unimpressed.
Date VisitNovember 2015