Vote Now

New York JFK Airport

"no explanation or apology was made"

Verified Review | I have used this airport many times, where I have generally not had a bad experience. But after my recent trip to New York, passing through JFK, I am left feeling saddened by my observation that something has gone very wrong with this airports ability to provide a decent level of customer service. My arrival process involved myself and other customers being left standing in a line, not moving, for a considerable length of time, looking at empty immigration desks. Also the self service pass port check machines were not available. No explanation or apology was made for a very obvious problem. Some public announcement was made, worded in a way that only airport staff could understand, immigration officers made their way to their desks, we were then processed reasonably quickly. It was during my departure when I experienced similar issues already explained in other bad reviews for this airport, regarding security staff. I am left disgusted by the total lack of professionalism and any kind of courtesy or respect from your staff during the security process. I shared my concern with a member of staff at the Information Desk (with the understanding that it was not within her jurisdiction) who's response made it clear to me that she felt I was overreacting. I am left feeling that the management of JFK Airport have no understanding or just don't care that their airport staff are giving their customers such a vile experience. I don't feel comfortable to give JFK Airport my custom again.

"no hassle whatsoever"

The different terminals of this sprawling airport offer different experiences. Terminal 8 is used by Cathay Pacific. The flight arrives in the afternoon. It was a smooth experience. I used the automated kiosk to complete the immigration formalities - no need to fill out a paper form and look for a pen. There were many such kiosks and hence waiting time to find one available was very minimal. I presented the print out from the kiosk to the immigration officer, who stamped my passport and the print out, and was waved into the luggage retrieval hall. Not having any checked luggage, I exited into the terminal after handing over the print out to the customs agent. Took the elevator upstairs and walked five minutes to the airport train that connects to the City's public transport system - very convenient with fares paid at the exit station. From getting out of the plane to getting out of the terminal it took 15 minutes - no hassle whatsoever. Signs were clear and prominent throughout.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"No signs, no info, no help"

Verified Review | I have traveled the world and JFK is the winner for lack of signage, lack of people that help or know anything about the airport they work in. I am a seasoned traveler arrived at terminal 2 to go to terminal 4. No signs, no info, no help for luggage. I had to go outside, cross the road find the air train to get to terminal 4. Then the tea agent toget into security area to renovate was rude and when I asked a question was even more rude. I have never had this treatment anywhere but JFK. The lines for security are very long, I couldn't find the end of the line because they appear to be clumped together. Needless to say avoid at all costs. This place is an embarrassment

"what a nightmare"

This was my first time to the JFK airport and may be my last. We arrived with a 4 hour layover and thank goodness we did because we needed all that time to get through everything. First of, customs. What a nightmare. We stood in a line for an hour and forty minutes just to speak to the officer. Other families had screaming children, elderly people, and people needing to catch an immediate connecting flight. The computer system went down for about 35 minutes and nobody bothered to inform anyone what was going on. We then had to go speak to the agriculture department because we accidentally forgot that my husband had a couple of oranges in his bag and when we tried to declare them they didn't even give us the time of day. We then had to get to our departing terminal which was about 15 minutes away which we never would have made it to if we didn't follow someone who was also making the same connecting flights, ie there were no signs to point us where to go. I was frustrated and upset and during our 4 hour layover we were actually only waiting at our gate for about 25 minutes before boarding started because of all the hoops we had to go through to get there. Absolutely ridiculous.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"appreciated them helping me"

Verified Review | I had a 6:25am flight but misjudged the travel time on the train as I forgot all the trains run local overnight. I arrive shortly before 6am and see a long security line so I realize I am unlikely to make my flight. It's my fault so I realize I have to accept my fate. But once they scanned my ticket, a TSA worker asks who is boarding the flight. I raise my hand and they make sure I get through the security line and tell me to run towards the gate. I run to the gate with my bag and the airline staff usher me on board, as I'm the last to arrive before the doors close. I am so thankful I made my flight! JFK gets some poor reviews and I've had less than stellar experiences there but this one restores my faith in JFK staff. They have to put up with a lot and I really appreciated them helping me make my flight.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"very limited seating"

On departure, we found a very limited choice of eating places at New York JFK. Seating was tight at the gate. On return, our group of 37 mostly senior citizens were stranded overnight at the airport because of weather-related cancellations. Staff who handled the rebooking were friendly and helpful, but when it became apparent that we were all spending the night at the airport, we were not assisted at all. The check-in section of the airport had very limited seating, and what few seats were available were already occupied or we were not allowed to use (not sure why). We ended up trying to sleep on the hard floor. We ended up flying out from LaGuardia and were much more impressed with the facility and staff there.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"Giving this airport a 1 is being kind"

Verified Review | Is 0 an option? Giving this airport a 1 is being kind. Every time I go through it is delayed getting to the gate or taking off. This is not due to the airlines but the airport not managing traffic. Getting from one terminal to another is a joke and I have missed flights waiting on the Busses to move. Avoid this airport at all cost.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"immigration is a shambles"

Verified Review | New York JFK is probably the worst airport I have ever been to and I have been to many. Staff are horrible. There is no real method to lining up to go through security it just seems like a mess. They keep telling you not to block the areas but there is nowhere for people to go. Immigration is a shambles, the machines are good but again there is no real methodology to lining up. It says go to a machine when the lights are green but there are about 100 machines, half of which you can't see from the line. I was at gate C68 and assumed I had plenty of time when I followed the signs but no, without warning it told me I had to take a shuttle bus to another terminal. Why not say that like other airports e.g. time from here to gate -- then people know where they are and how much time they have - simple. Luckily though I did have enough time due to the airports sheer incompetence. As I write this I am still sitting on the plane after 2.5 hours waiting to be de-iced. I mean who would ever think that it snows in New York in January? If only we could forecast these things and maybe get more than one hairdryer to de-ice 125 planes! I am just passing through from a civilized airport, Heathrow, I am going to avoid this airport in future even if it costs more.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"the worst airport we've ever been to"

Probably the worst airport we've ever been to, security is shocking, no trays used when going through security so items get mixed up and once through, staff are rude and most unhelpful. Don't try to buy duty free because we tried to buy one bottle of whiskey 1 hour before take off and were rudely refused at one duty free and told to go to the one close to our gate. We got there and were told "it's too late we can't sell", absolutely no reasoning and can only think it was because we only wanted one bottle. If we return to New York it will definitely not be via this airport, luckily the city is so good they named it twice and gave them two airports, one with nice helpful staff and the other with rude staff.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"avoid at all costs"

Terminal 7 - the worst experience I've had in an airport including in third world countries. It is built for one quarter of the amount of people, security takes forever, you cannot sit anywhere as there are about 5 seats and you are really made to feel like cattle. Horrible experience, avoid at all costs.
Date VisitDecember 2016