Airline of the Year

New York JFK Airport

"not a great start to our stay"

After being on the go for over 12 hours travelling from Iceland on a 5.5 hour flight and being very tired and hungry we finally arrived at JFK to be met with massive queues to get through passport control. Security is fine with me as safety in a top priority but JFK was ridiculous. We had to wait inline for over 1.5 hours! My legs were killing me, out of 28 or 29 desks only 3 were open which is a total joke. I was so dehydrated and was not offered water until we were next in line to be seen, the heat was unbearable and it took ages for them to offer to take anyone with small children to the front which I feel should of been done straight away. It was around 9PM, when we were finally seen and our paper work was barley checked. It took a matter of minutes for us to be on out way, not a great start to our stay in the USA
Date VisitMay 2017

"queued for 90 minutes"

Terrible immigration queues. Electronic passport readers largely rejected all passengers. Of 40 available desks, only one was manned and he dissapeared after 10 minutes. Excuse: change of shift and new shift hasn't arrived yet. Queued for 90 minutes (yes nine zero) by which time there was a total of three manned desks. Queue now weaved in and out of all the electronic readers accross the hall and back up the ramp from the planes.
Date VisitApril 2017

"we couldn't take the cart in"

Verified Review | Got to international entry from France and picked up our luggage to go through customs, the carts were there and the cost was $6. Less than 50 feet later, we were told we couldn't take the cart in. That is absolutely wrong! There was no sign saying that you couldn't take it. The airport was so hot, the hike to the gate was ridiculously long without the cart. After an overseas flight, it is ridiculous to not provide some kind of cart to go to the gate.

"shocking customer service"

Verified Review | Shocking customer service. The terminal transfer train comes every 15 to 20 minutes! I sat and watched as the cleaner moved 3 customers who were in the middle of their meals so he could rearrange the tables. I then tried to get a coffee in the only coffee shop open in the entire terminal (it's 9.47 pm) only to be told they wouldn't serve me because they are closing, in 15 minutes. So far, that attitude of every staff member has been that they simply couldn't care less. The management needs some serious addressing to have allowed the staff to get away with such poor performance.
Date VisitApril 2017

"nightmare of passing through immigration"

Verified Review | On arriving into New York JFK we headed for the nightmare of passing through immigration. We joined the conga line in about 300th place and the queue did not move for ages. Looking around I could see 2 officers in booths. This is ridiculous, by now the line had extended to crazy proportions and there must have been 1500 people some with very young children crying through tiredness and hunger. We were given no reason for this delay and were not given any water at all. It took us nearly 4hrs from plane to leaving. I think this needs looking at very seriously. I suffer from diabetes and this made me feel dreadful through lack of food and water and ruined my first day in a wonderful country.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"no explanation or apology was made"

Verified Review | I have used this airport many times, where I have generally not had a bad experience. But after my recent trip to New York, passing through JFK, I am left feeling saddened by my observation that something has gone very wrong with this airports ability to provide a decent level of customer service. My arrival process involved myself and other customers being left standing in a line, not moving, for a considerable length of time, looking at empty immigration desks. Also the self service pass port check machines were not available. No explanation or apology was made for a very obvious problem. Some public announcement was made, worded in a way that only airport staff could understand, immigration officers made their way to their desks, we were then processed reasonably quickly. It was during my departure when I experienced similar issues already explained in other bad reviews for this airport, regarding security staff. I am left disgusted by the total lack of professionalism and any kind of courtesy or respect from your staff during the security process. I shared my concern with a member of staff at the Information Desk (with the understanding that it was not within her jurisdiction) who's response made it clear to me that she felt I was overreacting. I am left feeling that the management of JFK Airport have no understanding or just don't care that their airport staff are giving their customers such a vile experience. I don't feel comfortable to give JFK Airport my custom again.

"no hassle whatsoever"

The different terminals of this sprawling airport offer different experiences. Terminal 8 is used by Cathay Pacific. The flight arrives in the afternoon. It was a smooth experience. I used the automated kiosk to complete the immigration formalities - no need to fill out a paper form and look for a pen. There were many such kiosks and hence waiting time to find one available was very minimal. I presented the print out from the kiosk to the immigration officer, who stamped my passport and the print out, and was waved into the luggage retrieval hall. Not having any checked luggage, I exited into the terminal after handing over the print out to the customs agent. Took the elevator upstairs and walked five minutes to the airport train that connects to the City's public transport system - very convenient with fares paid at the exit station. From getting out of the plane to getting out of the terminal it took 15 minutes - no hassle whatsoever. Signs were clear and prominent throughout.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"No signs, no info, no help"

Verified Review | I have traveled the world and JFK is the winner for lack of signage, lack of people that help or know anything about the airport they work in. I am a seasoned traveler arrived at terminal 2 to go to terminal 4. No signs, no info, no help for luggage. I had to go outside, cross the road find the air train to get to terminal 4. Then the tea agent toget into security area to renovate was rude and when I asked a question was even more rude. I have never had this treatment anywhere but JFK. The lines for security are very long, I couldn't find the end of the line because they appear to be clumped together. Needless to say avoid at all costs. This place is an embarrassment

"what a nightmare"

This was my first time to the JFK airport and may be my last. We arrived with a 4 hour layover and thank goodness we did because we needed all that time to get through everything. First of, customs. What a nightmare. We stood in a line for an hour and forty minutes just to speak to the officer. Other families had screaming children, elderly people, and people needing to catch an immediate connecting flight. The computer system went down for about 35 minutes and nobody bothered to inform anyone what was going on. We then had to go speak to the agriculture department because we accidentally forgot that my husband had a couple of oranges in his bag and when we tried to declare them they didn't even give us the time of day. We then had to get to our departing terminal which was about 15 minutes away which we never would have made it to if we didn't follow someone who was also making the same connecting flights, ie there were no signs to point us where to go. I was frustrated and upset and during our 4 hour layover we were actually only waiting at our gate for about 25 minutes before boarding started because of all the hoops we had to go through to get there. Absolutely ridiculous.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"appreciated them helping me"

Verified Review | I had a 6:25am flight but misjudged the travel time on the train as I forgot all the trains run local overnight. I arrive shortly before 6am and see a long security line so I realize I am unlikely to make my flight. It's my fault so I realize I have to accept my fate. But once they scanned my ticket, a TSA worker asks who is boarding the flight. I raise my hand and they make sure I get through the security line and tell me to run towards the gate. I run to the gate with my bag and the airline staff usher me on board, as I'm the last to arrive before the doors close. I am so thankful I made my flight! JFK gets some poor reviews and I've had less than stellar experiences there but this one restores my faith in JFK staff. They have to put up with a lot and I really appreciated them helping me make my flight.
Date VisitFebruary 2017