New York JFK Airport

"Signs were ample"

Trip Verified | I flew out of Terminal 4 on Delta and returned through Terminal 1 (having flown in on Alitalia). Absolutely no problems either way. I was able to print out my departure boarding pass from a machine and did not even have to go to the airline counter. I received a TSA pre-check on my departure and that made the security walk through a breeze. Terminal 4 has lots of shops and quite a few restaurants. They provide a full range of choices in products, services, and prices. The Delta flight departure was very well organized with agents ensuring boarding groups were kept separated. Announcements were made in a timely manner and the plane pushed back on time. The terminal was busy but clean and it had all the excitement of planes departing to all corners of the globe. Signs were ample and self-explanatory. I had the fastest exit in my life after arriving in Terminal 1. At 4 pm, the arriving area had no passengers from other flights. I used the machine to have my passport read and presented the slip to the agent at the exit gate along with the passport. He waved me through. There were many such machines. Having no checked luggage, I briskly walked out and made my way across the terminal to the Sky Train which for 5 US dollars connected me to the main train system of New York City. Signs were ample and self-explanatory. Another fully satisfactory experience with JFK.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"old, tired airport"

(Uruguay)

Not Verified | Departed to Beijing on Air China in May 2017. Old, tired airport. I was searching for an outlet to charge my phone while waiting at the gate for the flight. I had no luck finding one then I realized there was one right next to my seat. The outlet was not functioning plus it was dangerous. There was no plate covering it and exposed wires. Arrived in Beijing airport next day and felt that I travelled to the future. First class airport compared to the dump called JFK airport.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"a 3rd-world disgrace"

Trip Verified | Transited this airport DTW-JFK-PDL-JFK-DTW. Airport is a 3rd-world disgrace. Poor or non-existent signage, price-gouging shops, rude CBP personnel, rude TSA personnel, dirty bathrooms. Awkward transit between sections of airport. Arrival from PDL: Global entry kiosks wouldn't work, so I took passport (but not the little slip on fax-like paper) to agent, who yelled at me "to go back there, into the second door on the right." I thought I was obeying - until he yelled "No, you stupid idiot! You can't go in there! I said the second door on the right!" Oh, I see he meant the second door that was open (there were three doors, the first of which was closed). TSA personnel likewise rude, and very impatient with passengers whose native language apparently is not English.

"loud and confusing"

Not Verified | JFK is loud and confusing. But we did not find anyone mean or rude and we got through immigration etc in record time with our brand new Global Entry - even though we did not do it correctly since it was our first time. Gates are qute far apart, which is something to keep in mind when booking flights.
Date VisitJune 2018

"4.5 hours to get through immigration"

Not Verified | For a city that professes to be the "best in the world" I can only say that my experience at JFK was an omen of what was to come. I hated the cynical, money grabbing nature of the city but the airport was just beyond awful. Arrived at 16:30 expecting to be in and out of immigration in an hour. Immigration hall was packed to the rafters with people off previous flights. No desks were open and there was just one staff member wandering about looking bored and not acknowledging anyone. A sign above stated waiting time was 90 minutes, which bearing in mind the amount of people waiting to go through was a bit of a stretch I thought. 2 hours later, one desk opens and we were shuttled like sheep through a maze of queues. Kids were crying, people were sat on the floor, an old couple constantly appealed to the one security guard as to why more gates were not open, only to be stared at with no response. Rude beyond belief. The heat was awful, there must have been 600 or more people queuing. After 3 hours one more gate was open so the queue started to flow a little quicker, but again, by now people were becoming fractious. Another two plane loads arrive making the heat unbearable and space at a minimum. There were no chairs to sit or places to buy water. Eventually at 9 oclock, 4.5 hours later we got through the immigration queue. I cannot describe what an ordeal it was. The staff were rude, unresponsive, gave no explanation or apology for the interminable wait, and cared not for the distress suffered by the young and old. We arrived at our hotel at 11 at night. A whole evening wasted in that damned hell hole. I have spoken with others who confirmed that this is about normal for JFK. So if you can find another means of getting into the city, do so, try another airport, because this was positively third rate treatment. Disgusted!
Date VisitApril 2018

"Disappointing service all around"

Trip Verified | Dismal. Signs are difficult to spot especially when having to change terminals for transit. TSA staff are not professional by any stretch. Most are rude, busy gossiping with each other, bored or all the above. Disappointing service all around. Would avoid next trip out.

"A dismal experience"

Not Verified | A dismal experience (again). For as long as I can remember, there have been ‘improvements’ going on at terminal 7 but nothing improves. The seating is insufficient, the layout inefficient and the (few) food outlets terrible. No one would chose to fly from here if they did not have to. In the main restaurant, I ordered a salad which never arrived so I had to leave without eating as the flight departure time was approaching. I bought a sandwich in the shop - it must have been in the fridge for 12 hours - it was inedible. British Airways has its own problems more generally but having to depart from here does not help its corporate image. This terminal is a terrible indictment of the generally poor quality of airport infrastructure in the US.
Date VisitJune 2018

"TSA rude and inefficient"

Not Verified | One of my worst airports experiences. TSA agents were rude and inefficient, nearly loose my connection. TSA agents kept on placing people who arrived later ahead of us on the que. Their procedures were unnecessarily slow. I had shaving cream in excess of allowance I guess, (no problems with same baggage in two checkpoints in Europe). It took them more than 15 min to check the bags, and confiscate the item. The TSA staff kept on talking, to her co-workers, I am hard of hearing. I did not know when she was giving me commands, then scolded me for not following her orders.

"snapped at customers"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Very rude. Everyone working there snapped at customers. Especially at security the girl was horrible. Rolled her eyes and snapped to a man in front of me. Only one person was friendly, the man who let us in to the US, checked our ESTA and all. He looked at us and said things like "thank you" and "welcome". I don't ever want to visit that airport again. Wi-fi didn't work at all, couldn't sign in.

"rude, unwelcoming"

Not Verified | Travelled for the first time to the U.S. as a tourist to visit New York. One would think that a highly rated world city like this would come with the appropriate airport, but it was exactly the opposite. My most shocking experience though was with the immigration/customs officers at the airport. Most of them were rude, unwelcoming and treated people in very derogatory ways. I do not know what training these people undergo in the U.S. to take on these positions, but certainly good manners and politeness ate not in their curriculum. Truly a very shocking and sad experience.