New York JFK Airport

"have no people skills whatsoever"

Trip Verified | After having a lovely week visiting New York our last experience left a bitter taste in our mouths. The staff at the departure gates, (flight no EI0108, December 6 at 21.10) were downright rude! I can’t understand why these people work with the public, they have no people skills whatsoever. They were very obviously never taught any manners or customer service skills and they must have no one supervising them.The way they spoke at (yes spoke at, not to) people queuing up made my blood boil and I could see a number of people extremely annoyed by their behaviour. Would not recommend this airport to anyone and will be avoiding in the future.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Narrow waiting lines"

Trip Verified | Arrived from Barcelona on T4. If you have kids and need a luggage cart after customs, they charge you $6 for the short trip out the doors. You also have to walk out of the secure area if you just connect. TSA does not care if you have kids with stroller. Narrow waiting lines do not make it easy either.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"rude, unsympathetic and downright nasty"

Not Verified | I had to date this as happening in December 2016 but the actual date was September 2016. On arrival I was in a wheelchair and was shouted at because it seemed the hand scanner was not successful in scanning my hand, after 3 attempts he shouted, 'What have you got on your hands'. What can you say. I didn't know why it didn't work. He tried again, still nothing. So then he starts shouting at me to go to a different scanner. It appeared it was all my fault that it didn't work. The second scanner was successful on the second attempt. It was all done in a horrible uncaring manner and I have to say I was beginning to regret traveling to New York at all. The immigration official was so miserable and rude I felt I was totally not welcome in the country. When leaving New York it was even worse. I was in a wheelchair again and was shouted at to go this way and that way. I then underwent an intensive search in public. The wheelchair was scanned and that belonged to the airport. When he was finished I was told that I was sitting in the wheelchair with my legs apart and that looked suspicious. I suppose that and the fact that my body was shaking because I have Parkinson's made me a potential criminal at 73 years old. I wouldn't have minded so much if they didn't talk to me as if I was already guilty commiting a crime. They are rude, unsympathetic and downright nasty without cause and I will not be going back there again.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"They make their own rules"

Verified Review | The airport security was absolutely horrible. There is nobody giving directions on getting through security check. Most airports have you take off your shoes, place coats on belt, etc. Not JFK. They make their own rules. They don’t tell people what to do, they scream. I understand NY has tight security, but there’s no reason to scream violently at passengers trying to catch their flights. Absolutely worst experience ever. From now on I’ll be avoiding JFK at all costs.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"the terminal is a nightmare"

Unverified | When booking my travel, I go out of my way to avoid JFK airport. Besides the expected hour long wait on the runway before take off, that every flight experiences, the terminal is a nightmare. TSA employees are always very unprofessional. The person who takes your ticket at a movie theater behaves better than these people. The employees at the resturausnts would rather you "go over there" for food, instead of you sitting at their restaurant. Food is terrible, atmosphere is terrible, people are miserable, WiFi never works right. Next time I fly to DC, I am absolutely going to fly through either ATL or DET. The longer flights from Boston is much much better than dealing with the the headaches that come with JFK.

"Noisy, small, crowded"

Verified Review | Awful, awful terminal. Noisy, small, crowded. Nowhere decent to eat, very little choice. Small convenience stores, long queues. Totally inadequate charging facilities for devices - 10 to each gate in a block, not at seats. Poor WiFi, only 30 minutes free. None of the escalators were working. Lift slow and small, could barely cope with one trolley. Poor shopping. No computer or camera outlets. Just awful, expected JDK to world class but I will go a long way to avoid flying there again.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"an embarrassment for such a major city"

Unverified | JFK is the absolute worst airport in the world and I have been in most of them as I travel globally often. It is dirty, and very third world - it is an embarrassment for such a major city. All the airport staff are horrible and incredibly rude. I usually fly out of JFK for the convenience but it’s not worth it, better not by much, to go to Newark. As an American and a New Yorker it is a disgrace. you get what you pay for JFK.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"A complete lack of seating"

Verified Review | Terminal 7 is shocking to say the least. A complete lack of seating is available which is not helpful at all when travelling with elderly relatives. There were no customer assistants or staff to direct or help. The air con was broken or does not exist but the temperature was far too hot and unacceptable. The wandering tiki was over run with people due to lack of seating in the terminal or at the gates. Just trying to get a drink was an ordeal in itself. The staff however were friendly but evidently unable to keep up with demand. The long island brew house was put of action however even with this I do not feel this would have helped the seating situation. People were literally laying all over the floor. I can guarantee I will be paying extra to fly in and out of Newark.

"Worst airport ever"

Unverified | Worst airport ever. As an American, I feel ashamed that there are people from other nationalities coming and going from this airport daily and experiencing the downright dehumanizing rudeness from its employees. Despite just getting off an 11 hour flight and a three hour one before that, I was in a good mood, until I arrived here. The immigration line was long and horrible when arriving. The place is filthy and the food selections are downright terrible. When I checked my luggage in, the clerk was extremely rude straight away and acted bothered by nothing. TSA both coming and going were unprofessional with horrible attitudes whose only real profession seemed to be making snide comments for extremely petty reasons. Everywhere I went there were long lines of people being herded along like cattle by some rude staff member. I have to wonder, is it in these people's job descriptions to be blatantly rude? I will do what I need to never use this airport again, even if that means paying more for a ticket elsewhere.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"absolutely disgusting behaviour"

Unverified | This has to be the worst airport ever. The staff were vile and aggressive. Myself and my daughter were shouted at for walking to the wrong line, a line that another employee had told us to join. This is what she shouted verbatim - 'Hello maam, Hello am I not here? Are you blind? Are you just going to ignore my instruction?' To which I replied of course not, it was obvious that she wasn't interested in what her colleague has said. This was a bully who was on a power trip. We stood in line and watched as she continued to belittle others, absolutely disgusting behaviour.
Date VisitOctober 2017