New York JFK Airport

New York JFK Airport customer review

Verified Review | TSA staff at Terminal 7 were extremely rude, perhaps the worst I've ever encountered. They literally bark at you, offering no assistance if you look like you're struggling. My husband forgot his wedding ring after leaving security, when he went back to get it the TSA officer was disgustingly rude. My husband is not one to back down so he gave him a piece of his mind. Nevertheless, it was a horrible experience. You can be firm and polite, there is absolutely no excuse for such rudeness.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"an extremely long walk to US Customs"

Unverified | When I arrived in New York's JFK Airport, it was an extremely long walk to US Customs. Once I arrived at customs there were two very long lines. Since I was a US citizen, I was able to get on the shorter line. I had to use electronic kiosks and then was redirected to a long line. But luckily, there were plenty Customs Officers on duty so I was able to get through in about 20 minutes. Baggage claim wasn't too bad and taxi dispatch got me a taxi really quickly.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"very inefficient"

Unverified | Horrible System! Arrived at 11am didn't get out until 12:49 pm. 2 hours. Very inefficient system of scattered scanners, people having difficulty and staff refusing to help people. Then you wait in a disorganized line for customs control. Asked me if I brought anything and I replied that I didn't bring food whereby he rudely lashed out "that's not what I asked you". This is no way to be welcomed back to the United States regardless of being citizen or not. We are supposed to be a leader in technology and friendly country yet first impressions by every face I saw was one of misery, fear of complaining and disappointment. Luggage area has videos playing yet no info on which flight suitcases are coming from. Very disappointing.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"I must have entered another dimension"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | I arrived at JFK for the first time in four years in June 2017. The immigration checkpoint had changed by then, with everyone required to scan his/her passport at a computer kiosk. Fortunately, an airport employee was nice enough to show me where to stand to take my picture. The Homeland Security official who checked my passport and customs declaration form (6059B) didn't stamp it. After retrieving my luggage and queuing up to submit the 6059B, an armed customs officer brusquely asked me why I'd gotten in line. I told him that I was waiting to submit the form and he rhetorically asked if he'd told me to get in line. So I left the queue and exited the terminal. Thankfully, that was the only bad treatment I got at JFK during this trip. Two months later, when I departed New York, security at its Terminal 1 was surprisingly streamlined. TSA didn't require passengers to take off their shoes, produce their laptops, or receive a body scan/patdown. I must have entered another dimension.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"TSA agents were beyond rude"

Verified Review | I used to like Terminal One at JFK. No so, this time. The TSA agents were beyond rude. They were shouting (barking) orders at the people on the line as if they were drill sergeants. If someone left something in his or her pocket they insulted him and yelled that he's holding up the line. When someone is screaming at you at the top of his lungs, it's hard to comprehend and follow his instructions. I have been to airports all over the world and do occasionally make a mistake. I have found that everywhere else, the agents are polite and usually friendly. These people need serious retraining and should be let go if they can't behave like humans.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"I was in a good mood before I got to this place"

Verified Review | Rudest staff I have ever encountered at an airport or any place of business for that matter. I don't fly often so I was not familiar with the kiosk check in. It asked for my confirmation number, I did not know where to find it on my voucher (it was called something different on the voucher) so I asked a floor staff member for help. I asked how to use the kiosk and she replied, "what's hard about it? Do you know how to read? All you have to do is read!" Her tone was demeaning and she kept walking as she was speaking to me. TSA agents were basically rude robots getting easily frustrated over nothing. Even the lady working at the small convenience store near gate #32 was extremely rude when a price was not clear on an item. I was in a good mood before I got to this place.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"all have very bad attitudes"

Unverified | The passport control employees at immigration control are beyond horrible and rude. Most of them around the entry queues can barely speak English. They all have very bad attitudes and will offer no help. If you go through there, be sure to take your blood pressure medication beforehand.

"Horrible staff"

Verified Review | Horrible staff, who are not willing to help anyone and speak very rudely. My flight was delayed 3 hours, and not once was anyone in the slightest bit apologetic, and when I asked how much longer it would be and politely mentioned I had been traveling for 22 hours and was deeply tired they said to me 'oh well that's not our fault is it'. Only nice person I spoke to at JFK was the man at customs when I arrived.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"there was no help at all"

Unverified | I've never experienced an airport with ruder staff, from the staff scanning to the customs staff to the McDonalds staff. Not a smile, not a conversation. It was my partner and I's first time in America and there was no help at all to make the situation any easier.
Date VisitJune 2017

"good collection of shops and restaurants"

Unverified | I used Terminal 1 for our recent trip. On the outbound journey, the security check lines were long but moved rapidly. The terminal is used by a large number of airlines. It has a good collection of shops and restaurants. The Alitalia lounge was spacious and airy with a good selection of self servings of finger food and drinks including beer from Italy. It also offered free wifi and an announcement was made when our flight was ready to board. On return, we used the automatic kiosks for our passports. The exit was a breeze. The officers were pleasant and we were out of the terminal in no time. In sum, it was a hitch free experience considering the number of passengers and flights that as handled by this terminal.
Date VisitJune 2017