New York JFK Airport

"If you can avoid this airport"

Not Verified | I will never fly through JFK again. Had booked a once in a lifetime trip to South Africa. JFK air traffic control had us sitting on tarmac for 5 hours. Sending pilot mixed messages every 15 mins, babies crying, people needing to use the restroom but couldn’t get up because we were techically waiting to depart. Our plane was behind 38 others to depart. The weather was fine when we boarded but turned severe around hour 3. As a result we missed our connection and had to spend 53 hours in air and other airports to get to Africa. None of our seat purchase upgrades were honored and we missed the first day of our tour. Also was sitting on tarmac with earlier flight for an hour. JFK air traffic control manages inbound and outbound flights poorly. If you can avoid this airport please do.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"stay as far away from JFK as possible"

Trip Verified | Where do I start? My flight from SLC landed on time and then we proceeded to wait 40-50 minutes a stones throw from the terminal because no gates were available. I ran like a fool but still missed my next flight. I know that an over crowded airspace and abysmal airport design exacerbate the connection issues but these are problems that should be solved. I will forever do my best to stay as far away from JFK as possible.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"my last time at JFK"

Not Verified | This is my last time at JFK. As usual a three+ hour delay. I think the two most galling aspects of TSA generally are a complete lack of urgency, unless they are shouting instructions at visitors and a propensity to have casual conversations amongst themselves. I appreciate that security is important but the collection of taxes on air tickets should mean that all these waiting passengers should be providing sufficient revenue to staff the booths adequately. More generally, I think the term "customer" has lost its meaning in many aspects of air travel. It's now often synonymous with "inconvenience".
Date VisitApril 2018

"Worst airport ever"

Not Verified | Worst airport ever! They canceled our flights yesterday due to bad weather even though skies were clear in both my departure and arrival cities. I believe the airport does this on purpose so that they can price gouge for the surrounding rental cars and hotels. The rental car place expressed to me that it is supply and demand and that when the airport does that they raise their rates accordingly because they know people will still rent I believe that is unacceptable and should be illegal for price gouging. I would rather fly by paper airplane than to fly in or out of JFK!
Date VisitJuly 2018

"no reason to start a confrontation"

Not Verified | I don't mind flying into JFK but driving in to pick up my wife and her friend was terrible. The security woman at the arrival area at the terminal walked over to my car and started yelling at me to move. I explained to her that my wife was walking to the car and I could see her and the woman still made me drive around the loop and come back. When I couldn't pull away from the curb because I was blocked in, she asked me if I thought she looked stupid and if I knew how to drive a car. Just a terrible woman with a terrible attitude. There was no reason to start a confrontation when she could have politely asked me to move or let me sit where I was for another 15 seconds after I pointed out my wife.

"Never again"

(Dominican Republic)

Trip Verified | By necessity, I must use an American airport as a transit when I go from Dominican Republic to Asia or Australia. I have given up on Miami because the immigration make it so hard for all passengers coming from Latin Countries, although I carry an Australian passport and am 77 years old. LAX is too difficult for elderly passengers with horrific waits at immigration and ditto Atlanta. I decided some years ago to use JFK for arrival normally in Terminals 4 or 5 and then to exit normally with an Asian 5 star airline. Never again! The arrivals by JetBlue are disastrous now with gates not available and immigration waits of more than 2 hours. At Terminal 7 all but American passengers waited for 150 minutes plus to be processed from an ANA flight from Tokyo But now even the departures are disasters with waits of more than 2 hours on the tarmac quite regular and in my case in June more than 5 hours. Why are the USA airports so bad for non Americans and why are the elderly treated so badly? It is quite ridiculous but with all the delays in the USA, I will be flying in the future via Madrid, Paris or London to get to Asia, it will be quicker and have less stress.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"was afraid of a potential delay"

Trip Verified | I am writing about a "fun" security check-up I had to agree to at the JFK airport. At the security point, after passing the scanner, I was asked to go on the side where I was asked to empty my pockets. I had an empty plastic SIM card holder and a few paper tissues still in my pockets, as I didn’t know we have to fully empty our pockets. I assumed we just need to get rid of the metal. The officer asked "You didn't know you have to get everything out of your pockets?" to which I replied "No". He then told me I have to be thoroughly checked and explained that meant feeling up my legs thoroughly. After providing a brief explanation, this is what the officer did, in presence of his supervisor. Also, the officer examined my hand palms with what I presume is a drug detector. In that moment I was too intimidated to ask why all this was necessary as the officer was loud and, also, I was afraid of a potential delay with proceeding to my gate. So, I simply agreed and asked nothing. It is not clear to me why such a thorough check-up was necessary. Why I wasn’t simply allowed to go back through the scanner after taking out the SIM card plastic holder and my tissues is beyond me.

"Signs were ample"

Trip Verified | I flew out of Terminal 4 on Delta and returned through Terminal 1 (having flown in on Alitalia). Absolutely no problems either way. I was able to print out my departure boarding pass from a machine and did not even have to go to the airline counter. I received a TSA pre-check on my departure and that made the security walk through a breeze. Terminal 4 has lots of shops and quite a few restaurants. They provide a full range of choices in products, services, and prices. The Delta flight departure was very well organized with agents ensuring boarding groups were kept separated. Announcements were made in a timely manner and the plane pushed back on time. The terminal was busy but clean and it had all the excitement of planes departing to all corners of the globe. Signs were ample and self-explanatory. I had the fastest exit in my life after arriving in Terminal 1. At 4 pm, the arriving area had no passengers from other flights. I used the machine to have my passport read and presented the slip to the agent at the exit gate along with the passport. He waved me through. There were many such machines. Having no checked luggage, I briskly walked out and made my way across the terminal to the Sky Train which for 5 US dollars connected me to the main train system of New York City. Signs were ample and self-explanatory. Another fully satisfactory experience with JFK.

"old, tired airport"

(Uruguay)

Not Verified | Departed to Beijing on Air China in May 2017. Old, tired airport. I was searching for an outlet to charge my phone while waiting at the gate for the flight. I had no luck finding one then I realized there was one right next to my seat. The outlet was not functioning plus it was dangerous. There was no plate covering it and exposed wires. Arrived in Beijing airport next day and felt that I travelled to the future. First class airport compared to the dump called JFK airport.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"a 3rd-world disgrace"

Trip Verified | Transited this airport DTW-JFK-PDL-JFK-DTW. Airport is a 3rd-world disgrace. Poor or non-existent signage, price-gouging shops, rude CBP personnel, rude TSA personnel, dirty bathrooms. Awkward transit between sections of airport. Arrival from PDL: Global entry kiosks wouldn't work, so I took passport (but not the little slip on fax-like paper) to agent, who yelled at me "to go back there, into the second door on the right." I thought I was obeying - until he yelled "No, you stupid idiot! You can't go in there! I said the second door on the right!" Oh, I see he meant the second door that was open (there were three doors, the first of which was closed). TSA personnel likewise rude, and very impatient with passengers whose native language apparently is not English.
Date VisitJune 2018