Top 100 Airlines

New York JFK Airport

"horrible experience"

Verified Review | Paris to New York and vice versa through JFK. Horrible experience. The treatment from most of the airport staff was quite degrading. In a previous comment somebody mentioned that, when going through security check, a woman was yelling 'they aint gonna load emselves' to the people so that they put their bags/items onto the conveyor. That is exactly what I heard too. I mean, what are we? Animals? Passport control was even worse. There was a woman there, looking completely unprofessional, that was yelling incoherently to the people to go where she was pointing at. At first, when I was still a bit farther away, I thought it was some crazy person and the security would pick her up, but it was indeed airport staff. Finally, I would imagine that the main airport for one of the biggest cities in the world would be spacious, but far from it; narrow corridors and a general claustrophobic environment.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"there was total confusion"

I have been to JFK many times but the whole experience now is beyond a joke. We landed at JFK on 2nd September at around 16.00 after a 3.5 hour delay by American Airlines. The queue at Immigration was horrendous. There was total confusion, one woman walked up and down shouting at people incoherently which line they should be in, no-one understood her. There is no air-con in the hall and there must have been a thousand people in there waiting for no more than 6 desks to serve everyone and then one of those left. A few kind people let those with young children go to the front. It took over 2 hours to get through the queue and we had rushed to get near the front, heaven knows how long the poor people at the back had to wait. Get more people on the empty desks. There are dozens of them. We all paid $14 each for this. Once you finally get to a desk the staff are fine but the treatment of people worse than cattle beforehand is atrocious. The return trip was not much better, the staff at security were really rude. One woman kept shouting at people to put their bags onto the conveyer as 'they aint gonna load emselves' There is no need for the rudeness of the staff at JFK. A thoroughly unpleasant experience altogether. If I ever have to go to New York again I will travel to somewhere else first and get transport there rather than be subjected to the cattle like treatment at JFK.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"easy and quick to navigate"

(Serbia)

The JFK Terminal 4 seems like a run of the mill airport. There is really nothing that stands out about this airport in terms of architecture so it is rather unmemorable. However it doesn't mean it's bad, on contrary, it's easy and quick to navigate. A bit of a problem on arrival can be the fact that immigration control takes a lot of time, an hour or two even for some passengers, so when we reached the baggage claim finally our suitcases were already taken off the carousel. Staff were courteous and professional though. Terminal was very clean especially for its size. Available seating is comfortable enough to wait an hour or two before boarding and there is also a limited free wi-fi which won't be enough only if your flight is delayed. When it comes to food, the Terminal 4 has an average offer but the shopping options are slightly better, although not impressive. There was practically no queue at security control on departure.

"staff loud and rude"

Verified Review | On arrival at New York JFK we were separated into queues - one for US citizens and one for foreigners. It took over an hour just to reach the ESTA machines. Due to poor signage, we asked what we should do with our little printouts from the machines and were directed along a corridor. Seconds later we were bellowed at by someone asking us to get back in the line. We explained that we'd been sent through but to no avail. We then collected our baggage and then we queued up to leave the airport and give another rude and sullen employee our stamped ticket. Altogether we had waited almost 2 hours. The taxi queue outside was unbelievable. Not due to lack of taxis but to the traffic chaos outside. Everyone for arrivals and departures are at the same place. Cars, buses, taxis with lanes constantly blocked by people stopping wherever they felt like it to unload / load etc. An employee ran up and down, yelling and blowing a whistle to keep the traffic moving. Nowhere is adequately signed e.g. Stand A, B etc. There is just one sign - Passenger Pick up and Drop off. I assume this means along the whole length of the airport. Hence no-one knows where exactly to wait. Everyone asked everyone else what to do. It was absolute chaos. In the queue for the taxi passengers further down were always trying to cut in but after an hour and a half wait, I couldn't blame them. From leaving the plane to getting a taxi took 3.5 hours. Overall the airport is poorly signed, with most monitors showing advertising instead of information. It is a challenge to find the toilets. Seating is limited and the whole atmosphere is stressful and unwelcoming. As for the airport staff - loud and rude is all that I can say. Never again, not even with a connecting flight.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"staff were rude and unhelpful"

Verified Review | International arrival at JFK Terminal 7, transfer to a domestic flight - Terminal 8. JFK is the worst airport I have ever used, and I've used many. It is almost impossible to make a 3 hour layover as the lines to immigration go forever. You get out of the plane and the line starts already at gate entrance. There is no information what this line was for or what is going on. The only spoken announcements were initially in Spanish. Staff were rude and unhelpful. Took 2 hours to clear immigration, then 30 minutes to check in for the next flight. You need to claim your luggage before transfer. Made it only because my next flight was first delayed, then cancelled - something that happens frequently at JFK. My advice - if you can, use a different airport for your arrival into the US.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"a good, convenient to use airport"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Considering it is an old airport and among the busiest ones in the world JFK is a good, convenient to use airport. When we landed there it was easy to get through passports (friendly staff) and suitcases arrived quickly. Taxis and transport to the city are easy to find. Departing was also easy with small ques and fast but efficient security control. Not the biggest variety of shops but good enough to spend some time. All in all a good experience.

"not built for the A380"

Verified Review | I flew with a group of my students to New York on a field trip. The last day, the pilots of Lufthansa went on strike. We got to JFK very early to make sure that we were rebooked on a different flight. The airline put us together on the SIA flight to Frankfurt. We had to change terminals going from 1 to 4 with all of our luggage and 5 teenagers who just lost their final day in NYC. After standing in line for more than 1.5 hours, we had to stand in line again for more than 2 hours. By the time we had checked-in, there was no going back to Manhattan. We passed security and hoped for the best. The typical food stands, Starbucks and Shake-a-Shack available. Most of the time they were bored to tears - so my advice, if you travel with boys between 15 and 18 do not get to JFK 4 hours prior departure. JFK has not been built for the A380 and the number of passengers. It is difficult to find available seating at their departure gates and this has happened to me with both LH and SIA.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

" WiFi is readily available"

I arrived in New York JFK Terminal 7 on the 22 July 2016 and departed from the same terminal on 29 July 2016. When I arrived at around 1030am, I think there was only one plane load of passengers who were queuing in line at immigration. Only US and Canadians were directed to use the automated computer terminals whereas all others have to queue for the traditional immigration clearance by the officers in person. The queues at the computer terminals cleared quickly but not for the queues waiting to be assessed by the officers. In my experience in other American airports, I could use the computer terminals being an ESTA holder which was a lot quicker. WiFi is readily available at the airport.

"find other options"

Worst experience and very rude TSA staff. My family and I were delayed in Madrid Spain for 1.5 hours which reduced our transit time in New York JFK to 90 minutes. As we were moving through the process an employee with TSA was taking her time checking duty free purchase and when I mentioned to her that we are 20 minutes away from our connecting flight, she purposely started slowing more and blamed us for being late as we were the ones causing the delay in Madrid. I will never use this airport again and encourage people to find other options.

"an average experience"

Overall, an average experience at this airport. I was at this airport when we arrived from the UK in New York, and when leaving again. When departing from NY we were faced with a huge queue getting through baggage and security etc, but very surprising, the crowds were managed very efficiently by staff, who seemed friendly and explained calmly and all instructions were very helpful. However, my main airport of use is Edinburgh, which is beyond perfect, but there is lots of places to sit and relax in cafes and lounges that are not at the departure gates. at JFK the only seating available were uncomfortable seating at departure gates, the only others were in the fancy restaurants which I did not want to go in as I den't want a 3 course meal. Some more seating and maybe a slightly cleaner airport would be nice. All considered, a half decent airport suited for the huge amounts of passengers with efficient ways of doing things and friendly staff.
Date VisitApril 2016