Top 100 Airports

New York JFK Airport

"staff loud and rude"

Verified Review | On arrival at New York JFK we were separated into queues - one for US citizens and one for foreigners. It took over an hour just to reach the ESTA machines. Due to poor signage, we asked what we should do with our little printouts from the machines and were directed along a corridor. Seconds later we were bellowed at by someone asking us to get back in the line. We explained that we'd been sent through but to no avail. We then collected our baggage and then we queued up to leave the airport and give another rude and sullen employee our stamped ticket. Altogether we had waited almost 2 hours. The taxi queue outside was unbelievable. Not due to lack of taxis but to the traffic chaos outside. Everyone for arrivals and departures are at the same place. Cars, buses, taxis with lanes constantly blocked by people stopping wherever they felt like it to unload / load etc. An employee ran up and down, yelling and blowing a whistle to keep the traffic moving. Nowhere is adequately signed e.g. Stand A, B etc. There is just one sign - Passenger Pick up and Drop off. I assume this means along the whole length of the airport. Hence no-one knows where exactly to wait. Everyone asked everyone else what to do. It was absolute chaos. In the queue for the taxi passengers further down were always trying to cut in but after an hour and a half wait, I couldn't blame them. From leaving the plane to getting a taxi took 3.5 hours. Overall the airport is poorly signed, with most monitors showing advertising instead of information. It is a challenge to find the toilets. Seating is limited and the whole atmosphere is stressful and unwelcoming. As for the airport staff - loud and rude is all that I can say. Never again, not even with a connecting flight.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"staff were rude and unhelpful"

Verified Review | International arrival at JFK Terminal 7, transfer to a domestic flight - Terminal 8. JFK is the worst airport I have ever used, and I've used many. It is almost impossible to make a 3 hour layover as the lines to immigration go forever. You get out of the plane and the line starts already at gate entrance. There is no information what this line was for or what is going on. The only spoken announcements were initially in Spanish. Staff were rude and unhelpful. Took 2 hours to clear immigration, then 30 minutes to check in for the next flight. You need to claim your luggage before transfer. Made it only because my next flight was first delayed, then cancelled - something that happens frequently at JFK. My advice - if you can, use a different airport for your arrival into the US.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"a good, convenient to use airport"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Considering it is an old airport and among the busiest ones in the world JFK is a good, convenient to use airport. When we landed there it was easy to get through passports (friendly staff) and suitcases arrived quickly. Taxis and transport to the city are easy to find. Departing was also easy with small ques and fast but efficient security control. Not the biggest variety of shops but good enough to spend some time. All in all a good experience.

"not built for the A380"

Verified Review | I flew with a group of my students to New York on a field trip. The last day, the pilots of Lufthansa went on strike. We got to JFK very early to make sure that we were rebooked on a different flight. The airline put us together on the SIA flight to Frankfurt. We had to change terminals going from 1 to 4 with all of our luggage and 5 teenagers who just lost their final day in NYC. After standing in line for more than 1.5 hours, we had to stand in line again for more than 2 hours. By the time we had checked-in, there was no going back to Manhattan. We passed security and hoped for the best. The typical food stands, Starbucks and Shake-a-Shack available. Most of the time they were bored to tears - so my advice, if you travel with boys between 15 and 18 do not get to JFK 4 hours prior departure. JFK has not been built for the A380 and the number of passengers. It is difficult to find available seating at their departure gates and this has happened to me with both LH and SIA.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

" WiFi is readily available"

I arrived in New York JFK Terminal 7 on the 22 July 2016 and departed from the same terminal on 29 July 2016. When I arrived at around 1030am, I think there was only one plane load of passengers who were queuing in line at immigration. Only US and Canadians were directed to use the automated computer terminals whereas all others have to queue for the traditional immigration clearance by the officers in person. The queues at the computer terminals cleared quickly but not for the queues waiting to be assessed by the officers. In my experience in other American airports, I could use the computer terminals being an ESTA holder which was a lot quicker. WiFi is readily available at the airport.

"find other options"

Worst experience and very rude TSA staff. My family and I were delayed in Madrid Spain for 1.5 hours which reduced our transit time in New York JFK to 90 minutes. As we were moving through the process an employee with TSA was taking her time checking duty free purchase and when I mentioned to her that we are 20 minutes away from our connecting flight, she purposely started slowing more and blamed us for being late as we were the ones causing the delay in Madrid. I will never use this airport again and encourage people to find other options.

"an average experience"

Overall, an average experience at this airport. I was at this airport when we arrived from the UK in New York, and when leaving again. When departing from NY we were faced with a huge queue getting through baggage and security etc, but very surprising, the crowds were managed very efficiently by staff, who seemed friendly and explained calmly and all instructions were very helpful. However, my main airport of use is Edinburgh, which is beyond perfect, but there is lots of places to sit and relax in cafes and lounges that are not at the departure gates. at JFK the only seating available were uncomfortable seating at departure gates, the only others were in the fancy restaurants which I did not want to go in as I den't want a 3 course meal. Some more seating and maybe a slightly cleaner airport would be nice. All considered, a half decent airport suited for the huge amounts of passengers with efficient ways of doing things and friendly staff.
Date VisitApril 2016

"lines are always so long"

I dread arriving at JFK, especially going through security. Immigration is the worst. I have wanted to complain a number of times already, but now I really feel moved to say something. The lines at immigration are always so long. They have tried to speed up the process for American citizens, but not for the others, or people who have a green card. More officers need to be employed to check the passports, etc. There seems to be a lack of respect for the incoming travelers - certainly not welcoming. One feels treated like cattle (or prisoners). Some of the staff are officious and unwelcoming. However, I do have to say, that there are always some who try to be friendly - thank goodness. But this last time we were kept waiting for almost an hour. Some of the officials just got up and left without replacements, so we were stuck. There were families with children. It was torture for them. This could be avoided by employing more people and having a more efficient system. In short: JFK needs to be more welcoming and efficient.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"I was fairly disappointed"

It was my first time flying into JFK and honestly I was fairly disappointed. I arrived on a Cathay Pacific flight early in the morning, terminal 7 was just quiet and gave an unwelcoming sense somehow. The terminal was old with closed space and no windows after arriving into the terminal from the jetbridge. There wasn't really any staff there to guide passengers around and signage was unclear. I had to meet up with my parents who were arriving on an Emirates flight into terminal 4. The internet connection took me some time to get as it kept cutting off, not allowing me to connect. There weren't many restaurants around and the things that were there didn't look too appetizing. Also, there weren't a lot of seats in the departure or arrival lounge, and with the busy nature of the airport, it was just chaotic just trying to find a place to stand. Overall, I would say, if you can, try to avoid this airport. The facilities are outdated and staff weren't really happy to help with needed.
Date VisitJune 2016

"everything went smoothly"

Everything went smoothly at New York JFK - going through the airport from taking the AirTrain from the subway to getting on the plane. Online check-in no doubt helps as did British Airways having Terminal 7 to themselves and other owned or code share airlines like Iberia and American Airlines. Clearing security is a bit of a pain as ever (where do they find such miserable staff to work at these places?) but has to be expected now. Only other let down was the supposed "English pub" the Trafalgar. Pretty slow service and worst of all the place closed without warning an hour before my flight was due to depart. 300 people waiting for a flight right next to the pub and they decide to shut up shop - hopeless. Still a minor point as I just upped and went to the other bar in the terminal.
Date VisitJune 2016