Best Economy Class Seats

New York JFK Airport

"lines are always so long"

I dread arriving at JFK, especially going through security. Immigration is the worst. I have wanted to complain a number of times already, but now I really feel moved to say something. The lines at immigration are always so long. They have tried to speed up the process for American citizens, but not for the others, or people who have a green card. More officers need to be employed to check the passports, etc. There seems to be a lack of respect for the incoming travelers - certainly not welcoming. One feels treated like cattle (or prisoners). Some of the staff are officious and unwelcoming. However, I do have to say, that there are always some who try to be friendly - thank goodness. But this last time we were kept waiting for almost an hour. Some of the officials just got up and left without replacements, so we were stuck. There were families with children. It was torture for them. This could be avoided by employing more people and having a more efficient system. In short: JFK needs to be more welcoming and efficient.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"I was fairly disappointed"

It was my first time flying into JFK and honestly I was fairly disappointed. I arrived on a Cathay Pacific flight early in the morning, terminal 7 was just quiet and gave an unwelcoming sense somehow. The terminal was old with closed space and no windows after arriving into the terminal from the jetbridge. There wasn't really any staff there to guide passengers around and signage was unclear. I had to meet up with my parents who were arriving on an Emirates flight into terminal 4. The internet connection took me some time to get as it kept cutting off, not allowing me to connect. There weren't many restaurants around and the things that were there didn't look too appetizing. Also, there weren't a lot of seats in the departure or arrival lounge, and with the busy nature of the airport, it was just chaotic just trying to find a place to stand. Overall, I would say, if you can, try to avoid this airport. The facilities are outdated and staff weren't really happy to help with needed.

"everything went smoothly"

Everything went smoothly at New York JFK - going through the airport from taking the AirTrain from the subway to getting on the plane. Online check-in no doubt helps as did British Airways having Terminal 7 to themselves and other owned or code share airlines like Iberia and American Airlines. Clearing security is a bit of a pain as ever (where do they find such miserable staff to work at these places?) but has to be expected now. Only other let down was the supposed "English pub" the Trafalgar. Pretty slow service and worst of all the place closed without warning an hour before my flight was due to depart. 300 people waiting for a flight right next to the pub and they decide to shut up shop - hopeless. Still a minor point as I just upped and went to the other bar in the terminal.

"offers good amenities"

I departed from JFK airport recently and it offers good amenities to its passengers. I used T4 and it had more than 20 restaurants / eating joints. It also offeres a host of duty free shops. Overall a good airport.

"I was very impressed"

I've always been a bit scared of JFK, so avoided it in the past. But I was very impressed. The Airtrain from Jamaica was efficient and getting through security in Terminal 7 was a doddle (perhaps being business class helped) with efficient helpful TSA staff. There only appeared to be two gates working, which might have led to build ups come the evening rush of flights to the UK.
Date VisitJune 2016

"Seats dirty, stained, worn out"

New York JFK is very disorganized. The immigration line was a long maze through barriers and hard to tell where US citizens, and non-citizens lines began or ended. The line was very slow, the hot room made it worse. There were too many unorganized steps. Most TSA lines in the US aren't as bad as JFK. JFK is a disgrace as a representative of the United States for so many visitors, and even natives. Staff are generally unfriendly if not mean. Even renovated, JFK is dirty and worn out. Seats in the shopping area were dirty, stained, worn out. We only fly in or out of JFK if there are no other possible ways of avoiding it.
Date VisitMay 2016

"last time I will use JFK"

I have had bad experiences at New York JFK before, and as usual long lines at immigration. They have added self service machines supposedly to speed things up - the queues look just as bad but luckily had a 2.5hr layover. When using the machine it takes all your passport details, takes your photo taken and this is printed on a paper slip which is handed to the immigration officer. This took me over an hour to get through, then I had to figure out how to get from terminal 4 to 2. Of course then I had to clear security again which took another 45mins. After a 7hr flight I was hoping to have a meal and something to drink - no chance, I was lucky to make my connecting flight, last time I will use JFK when flying to the US.
Date VisitApril 2016

"no hostile attitude"

Used JFK (T7) on a British Airways flight for the first time. Before arrival I heard a lot of stories about rude staff, long queues and confusing signs so I wasn't expecting a lot. Arrived at JFK after midday. At the time there was a flight from Madrid that landed slightly before my flight. Despite being the first person out of the plane the queue in immigration had built up. The line became very long once all passengers from both flights disembarked. There was a guy directing people to the queue so it was pretty much in order. It was hot without sufficient air con but it's bearable. There were a few staff calling transist passengers or American citizens and directing them to the right queue. They were robotic but definitely not rude as people describe. Maybe I arrived at the right time slot? The immigration officer was also friendly. My departure was at the evening peak hours (traffic was really bad so bear that in mind). Check in was done by very friend ground agent. There was a long queue for security check but it moved quickly. No hostile attitude as people have mentioned. The terminal is fairly small with limited shops and restaurants. The souvenirs in the shop are actually much cheaper than what you pay in New York. The downside of the airport is that there isn't sufficient seating.
Date VisitMay 2016

"staff are not exactly welcoming"

JFK is probably the most uninviting airport I have ever flown into, customs and border control moved fairly quickly, agree with other reviews and let's just say the staff are not exactly welcoming. What really surprised me was the lack of food outlets, not everyone is on the move straightaway we were waiting to be picked up, lack of seating is a problem too. As others have said it's unbearably hot no air at all and it's only May. Dread to think what it's like in the summer. Next time will use Newark again it's better for all the above reasons location wise it's better too.

"worst transit handling"

(New Caledonia)

New York JFK offers the worst connection and transit handling. You have to go through immigration just for transit, waiting twice there, then through customs, so another wait, then take your bag to go through the exit, to give it back just on the other side of the exit door. Change terminals to get through security again, which means showing your passport and boarding pass to at least two official people again. Of course, everytime you have to show some papers and so there was a huge line-up, at least 20 people each time. A 2h43 min layover, I made it to my aircraft 5 minutes before the boarding time. No time to stop for some shopping. Of course the security and customs and immigration officers are not friendly at all. A useless maze of administrative nonsense and sadly this is the same in every airport of USA. I wish I could avoid flying through USA altogether.