Top 100 Airlines

Muscat Seeb Airport

"airport is really too small"

(Saudi Arabia)

I arrived at this airport at midnight and stayed there for about 3 hrs as a transit passenger. It was rush hour and many flights were arriving with most of the passengers as connecting. The airport is really too small to accommodate that number of passengers especially during the vacation season. Something that surprised me was that there were no proper announcements made and even if they were made we could not hear them properly. A guy was running around the airport calling them. Things got very bad during the boarding time. There was no place to stand because the boarding gates are located just a few feet apart, the staff were very rude. Hope these things improve when the new airport opens.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"toilets are inadequate"

Terminal at Muscat looks grand but this is misleading. The toilets are inadequate and not maintained or properly equipped. For the men's toilets, there were queues to use the urinals and the cubicles. The hand dryers were not working. The cubicles had water on the floor and on the toilet seats. There was no toilet paper. The attendants merely said dryers not working. They seemed to make no effort to clean the cubicles. The money exchange staff have no customer focus. I used Costa Coffee where the staff were courteous and helpful. Duty free staff ignored customers and chatted to colleagues - security seemed thorough.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"long and slow queues"

We have travelled to Muscat from the UK three times in 6 years. The arrivals process has always been ok although we are always met by a representative from our travel company who processes the entry visas for us whilst we wait in a lounge. However departures leaves a lot to be desired as the security procedures are incredibly slow and unnecessarily repetitive. We had our hand luggage scanned three times for some reason as we passed through check in, passport control and entry to the gate plus our boarding passes were checked both as we entered the gate and again as we were leaving the gate despite the fact there was no way we could have entered the gate other than through the first checkpoint. This constant checking leads to very long and slow queues of people but the staff seem oblivious and do nothing to speed it all up. There is no fast track service for business class travellers and queue management is a joke with passengers at the back of one queue being brought to the front when finally a second desk was opened up at passport control leaving passengers ahead in the original queue served later. When our bags were being scanned the second time some travellers ahead of us had a package that needed to be unwrapped and checked by the guy manning the scanner. This took ages and all the travellers behind this had to wait to get their bags scanned as there was no-one else to help although plenty of staff were standing around chatting together. Our flight was 30 minutes late leaving which is hardly surprising given the inefficiencies at the airport. Let's hope the new terminal improves the passenger experience when it finally opens.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"what a chaotic airport"

What a chaotic airport. It is still the old airport as the new one is not completed yet. We were transferring to another flight and having to go through security was a nightmare. Only 3 lanes open for scanning and no orderly queues. We barely made our connecting flight as it was a mass of people, pushing and shoving. We will avoid flying through Muscat in the future. At least until the new airport is open.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"issues are with the staffing and lazy attitude"

A lot of people rate airports based on their facilities etc, however I suspect most like myself, want to get in and landside as fast as possible. Arrived on the BA service connecting from Abu Dhabi. Touchdown at 11.15pm, promptly spent another 15 mins or so taxiing to the "gate" (bus in this case). At the VOA line, only two people processing payments with multiple flights arriving after us. This was followed by an even longer line at immigration, just 3 counters open and I estimate that they spent about 5, if not more minutes per passenger. All in all, 1.5 hours from entering the building to getting my bag (which as others have noted are just sitting on the floor with no indication as to which flight they correspond to as it's so longer after the flight arrived). Some hope that a new airport will improve efficiency, I have my doubts about this. The issues are with the staffing and lazy attitude.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"very basic and old"

(Brazil)

Muscat airport is very basic and old, I know they are building a new terminal and it will come just in time, while their Arab neighbors are presenting great service on their airports, these one is stuck in the 80's. Staff are friendly and always willing to help but I will agree with some travelers here, immigration takes forever. They keep chatting with each other or texting on their mobiles, they don't pay attention to their job, it took me almost 1 hour and a half to go through immigration and another 30 minutes to find my bag on a sea of bags, the arrival area is packed with travelers and their families, very difficult to find a taxi driver available. Will do my best to avoid this airport in the future.
Date VisitOctober 2015

"appeared old and a little basic"

This airport appeared old and a little basic, ok for a short transfer, but I wouldn't like to be stuck there for a long transfer. A decent selection of food outlets and a few stores selling duty free and gifts.
Date VisitOctober 2015

Muscat Seeb Airport customer review

I am a doctor from India who comes to Muscat Airport every month. I have been doing this for the last 8 months. At immigration I have to wait each time for more than 1 hour to give my fingerprints. This time it was for 2.5 hours which was longer than the time it took for me to travel from Delhi to Muscat. I don't understand why there can't be a segregation of people who come to Oman for the first time versus those who come here regularly. I had to wait over 2 hours for a job which took 30 seconds to complete.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

(Thailand)

When I arrived at Muscat Seeb Airport, I was directly transported to the VISA on arrival, done and dusted and quick. However, when I was at the Immigration, staff were talking amongst themselves and were not concentrating on their work. They were calling and giggling amongst each other across the hall and did not pay full attention to their work. At the immigration booth were two immigration officers and obviously they were talking, one scrutinized my passport and the other was playing with his phone. The departure experience was worst. The baggage check-in was poorly laid out and badly maintained, old scruffy and inefficient. Next, I received my passport and my checked in ticket and went off to the immigration, again the officers were talking amongst themselves, which took them 8 minutes to realise that the scanning system was out of order, so they had to take me to a special room where further checking was needed. The entire process to me 15 minutes to do so, bare in mind there were many passengers at the back. The staff at the exchange rate counter was particularly not amused of what they are doing. Floors were untidy, and nothing to eat or shop about.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Muscat Seeb Airport customer review

I am at this airport almost every other weekend and this will be my first review with them. 1) Check in is a breeze. Especially if you're flying with Omanair, they have a specific area just for that airline with many counters open for it. The only thing is, I just absolutely am disgusted with some of the staff where they would constantly question whether I need a visa to UAE with my passport and then question me back on "are you sure?" and "really?". 2 weeks ago, the guy at the check in counter said "how do you know you don't need visa? When was the last time you were at UAE?" (if he had properly check my passport that he was holding, he would have noticed that I have at least 10 UAE stamps in my passport, one which was dated 2 weeks before that). 2) Not many shops to be honest. Not the sort of airport you want to be at for more than 3 hours. 3) Did not like the other gate for low costs airlines such as Rotana or flydubai. That place is packed and crowded and super unorganised. I have honestly paid more to fly with Omanair just to avoid boarding through that gate. 4) Arrival at the airport is ok at times. Sometimes its super crowded, sometimes it's excellent. The immigration counter could do with some more counters during the busy time cause I remember when it took over an hour just for the queue. 5) Taxi from the airport to your destination is absolutely expensive. Where I am staying at, is only 10 minutes drive, yet it costs OMR8 (and same price to where another place that is 30 minutes is). 6) When the airport is full, it really is full. The cars are unorganised and everyone looked lost. I know they are building a new airport to support the high amount of tourists coming into the country, so I really am looking forward to that.
Date VisitJune 2015