Top 100 Airlines

Munich Airport

"terminal is in serious need of an upgrade"

Tale of two terminals. I would agree that T2 is world class but T1 is small badly laid out. This was my first experience flying out of T1 and I was shocked, limited places available for food once you are through immigration and even less seating space at the gates, how they service a A380 (Emirates uses T1) is a mystery. Arrival was even worse with the passport hall so full you had to wait outside for people to process. Once through baggage retrieval was quick. The terminal is in serious need of an upgrade.

"absolutely brilliant time"

I had an absolutely brilliant time in Munich Airport. I was in transit there for around 10 hours but there was plenty to do as you can sleep, shop and pretty much any other social activities are provided. However what I particularly loved about this airport is that fact that they have a Prayer room for each main religion. This is brilliant as many other airports just have a multi-faith which isn't too good sometimes.
Date VisitJune 2016

"very good airport"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Very good airport. I found many toilets that were very clean. There were a lot of shops, bars and restaurants, even though they were quite expensive they were of a high quality. I didn't need airport staff. Excellent internal transport with the train connecting the two terminal and the mobile platforms.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"signage for passengers was confusing"

Horrible experience. We arrived on a flight from Dubai with 90 minutes to catch a flight to Basel. When we got off the flight the signage for passengers was confusing but we found a queue for a security check. It was very slow moving and many people were panicking because of the potentential to miss a flight. There was no one there to organize the queue, confirm that we were in the right queue or assist people who had an urgent need to get to another gate or terminal. The staff on security checking were unfriendly. We got to our next flight with only 10 minutes to spare. The terminal building was hot and humid. The only bright spot was a pleasant officer on passport control who understands the words please and thank you and the value of a smile. In future I will plans routes to avoid this place.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"unfriendliness of the ground staff"

(Austria)

I'm a very frequent traveller, with over 70 flights per year (single direction) to different destinations all around the globe mostly for business reasons. Out of those flights at least ten depart or arrive at Munich airport. Positive is the overall organization of the airport. There are short queues at check-in and security check. Excellent is the location of the Lounges. The waiting time for luggage at arrival is acceptable. The airport is clean, which included the toilets. Very negative is the unfriendliness of the ground staff at the security check, it's among the worst I've experienced. Hence I avoid Munich airport, whenever I can. Here are some examples: On my holiday trip with my family this year, a male 50+ and a female 40+ officer at the security check (Terminal 1) shouted at my 2-year old child, who I was carrying, they forced me to immediately remove my child from my shoulder. The outcome was a scared, confused, crying baby, for no reason. They repeated the same with another mother with her baby right after me. On a business trip a female security officer and her supervisor (Terminal 2), both 50+ questioned me in a very unfriendly manner about a cosmetic item I had with me and they forced me to throw it away.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"security lines impossibly long"

Munich Airport Terminal 1 gates C are a mess. Security lines impossibly long. No signage to go to upper floor check-in. Queues are disorganized. No fast track for frequent travelers. 1-star experience - you think they would realize it was holiday season and be prepared?

"immigration terribly disorganized"

The check-in and immigration pocess at Munich Airport Terminal 1 is simply horrific. It is terribly disorganized for a country such as Germany which is ostensibly known for organization and efficiency. I arrived on 6 August and was in line at immigration at Terminal 1 for close to an hour. The EU citizen line and the other passport holder line both converge at the end where, despite several available immigration kiosks, only 4 employees were checking passports. There was a family at the front of the line having an issue with their entry that bogged down the line the entire time I was processing through the queue. Departure was even worse. The check in lines for the carriers at Terminal 1 were backed up and, after a while, melted into what was the most horrific immigration line I have ever been in. This is from someone who has gone through airports in Afghanistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and other spots not known for high airport quality. For well over an hour the line plodded while family after family and individual after individual further added to the delays by cutting to the front of the line after speaking with a junior airport official who at no point checked their tickets or verified their passports or boarding documents. Of 6 available stations only 2 were manned the entire time. I am glad I arrived nearly 3 hours prior to departure but I should not have to. Munich Airport, you are an embarrassment.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"airport was totally disorganised"

Utterly unimpressed. The airport was totally disorganised. I wanted to get to a bag drop desk but the entry to it was blocked by two separate queues side by side running across the entrance to it. What were the two queues for - no way of knowing other than to follow them. (It turned out that one was going to a set of check in desks and the other to security). The queues were unregulated with people joining from all angles. Appalling. Security had to stop the queue of passengers while they dealt with somebody who failed the basic screen - they could not segregate him and continue to check other passengers. They did have a problem with Delta airlines at the time so the lack of space inside the secure area is more understandable but they did not cope with that well with only limited announcements and only one board giving airline/flight/gate details.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"Gate D01 not enough seating"

I am flying from Munich airport Gate D01 and there is not enough seating for the 4 gates boarding at once. Staff not friendly. One place to eat I waited for 30 minutes to get a coffee. No thanks, Frankfurt is nicer. Security check was passable. Cleanliness was also fair.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"waiting at immigration for an hour"

Long queues and very inefficient at Munich Airport. Used to be known for its efficiency and was a pleasure to fly to / from. Just arrived from London and have been stood waiting at immigration for an hour. Not a great welcome to Germany.
Date VisitJuly 2016