Top 100 Airlines

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport

"service of airport was horrible"

(Italy)

Verified Review | The service of the airport was horrible. The air conditioning was not working even though it was not hot outside. WiFi did not work, but the lady's voice of the announcement in the airport said "it is free and is working". Some of the staff were rude and the person who was checking in my luggage (I had to check it in again, while I had a layover there, which is ridiculous) was careless and pretended that I had some excess luggage, but it was just the one I had when departing from Milan, for which I paid and was assured that I will not have to pay anymore later as it travels to the point of destination. That guy didn't want to believe that the stickers and the cheque-proof of the payment covered that weight of luggage at that moment, but the weight there was specified. He made me take out some stuff out of my bags to "fit in" the luggage limit. And all that while many other passengers were waiting behind me. The toilets and the whole condition of the airport were of the soviet era. It takes forever to get from one terminal to the other, they could have managed some transfer services or at least inform how much it is to get to the other terminal as you start to panic when the terminal signs don't change and you keep on walking towards that terminal for ages.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"airport was clean"

(Norway)

It was not that bad at all. We transited from terminal E to D. There was no one queueing up at the passport control. The passport control and the security check after that were fast. The airport was clean. The food selection was decent but pricey. The airport staff don't smile (as is the agreement with all the reviewers here). It was as if every employee in the airport were ensuring that they don't smile even a bit, because if they did smile, the world would end. Perhaps their inability to communicate in English one of the contributing factors.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"not a single smile from airport staff"

Moscow Sheremetyevo is the worst international airport I've ever been to. On arrival, we queued for about 2 hours at passport control, it was +30C, no aircon, and a big crowd standing there with no separating barriers or any order whatsoever. Half of the checking points were not open with staff not caring a bit. Not a single smile from airport staff - it looks like nobody cares. There are 3 benches outside of terminal D, and not much seating inside either. So called Duty Free shops are expensive. My best experience of the whole trip was the coffee machine. It was cheap, very tasty and didn't struggle to give me a smile. On departure, it seemed much easier, the terminal was not too busy, staff were friendly.
Date VisitJune 2016

"area was completely chaotic"

We passed through SVO on our way to/from MRV. While going it was just about okay, with a long line at the passport control. While returning, the passport control area was completely chaotic. The counters were under-staffed, and it took us more than an hour passing through it, and we just managed to board our flight. In the future I would avoid this airport, although the alternate option (DME) was no better during an earlier trip.
Date VisitJune 2016

"plenty of places to eat"

I had a 21 hour layover at Moscow Sheremetyevo. I was traveling from LAX to BCN (Barcelona). Getting through transfer was a breeze - I didn't have to take off my belt or remove my shoes. Getting from the plane back to the main terminal only took about 35 minutes. There are 60 gates in the airport all in a straight line. Getting from one gate to the other is pretty simple. The terminal has a hotel in it between gates 21 and 22. I rented a room for 9 hours for about $75.00. The airport was great, plenty of places to eat and relax but I think the next time I would avoid such a long layover.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"Terminal F is crowded"

(Israel)

Arrived at Moscow Sheremetyevo Terminal D. Arrival procedures okay and exit is quick. Connection flight from Terminal F the same day and not as good. After clearing security you come into the terminal, which is crowded. Almost no free space, every sq.m is occupied by duty free shops with no end. The outcome is that there is no place to sit and wait for next flight. Many passengers are forced to stand and wait or sit in the coffee shops / restaurants. Gates are changing frequently in this terminal, and you have to run long distance to find the new gate. Terminal D is a little more "humane", more seats but WiFi does not work properly. Not recommended.
Date VisitMay 2016

"huge lines at immigration"

We quickly disembarked from the plane but after walking through the airport, we met huge lines at immigration (we were transiting to a domestic flight) and had only 10 minutes until our flight would be boarding. We got to the front of the queue but the woman became frustrated in having to deal with a group of Chinese tourists and decided to close her lane. We then asked for an Aeroflot representative to lead us to the front of another line. The woman was a bit slow but eventually we got through. Sheremetyevo airport is large and dysfunctional, with very few signs and none to ask. Finally, we got to our gate, but it was delayed by 15-20 minutes anyway.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"queues moving slowly"

Departure (terminal D, international, 8.00-11.30) - despite the size of the terminal, almost all areas are overcrowded and the staff seem not to be able to cope with it - very few passport check gates open, queues moving slowly. Security checks are generally ok, however there was overzealousness re electronic gadgets (I was asked to turn on my laptop, a person after me in the queue asked to do the same, he said the battery's dead and he was allowed to pass - so why did they need us to turn them on if they let us through all the same?). Terminals D, E and F are connected airside, which gives some entertainment while waiting (however, walking from D to F is a pretty long way). Terminal D is overcrowded, dirty floors, terminal E looks neglected (floor tiles missing here and there, very few seating, terminal F, despite being the oldest, looks clean and well-kept, but it's cluttered with shops and quite claustrophobic. Power outlets for PCs are almost absent (I managed to find one in terminal F only.) "Kofemania" coffee shop (Terminal D, near the stairs to the bus gates) - avoid at all cost. Awfully expensive and with the slowest service I've ever seen (they kept me waiting for 30 minutes for my cappuccino). Plenty of jet bridges, yet we were bussed to our plane, and the apron was pretty slippery. Arrival: bussed again and had to climb to the third floor to pass through the immigration and then to go down again to the first floor for luggage reclaim. A very long queue at immigration, with only seven gates open (out of 30-35), some queues are for several gates, some are just for one and you can't say which is which in a crowd like that. Getting from Terminal D arrivals to 'Aeroexpress' train was another adventure, as the access to the train is from terminal E only and from the departures level, and the connection between Arrivals and Departures levels is by lifts only, and there are only three lifts (maybe there were some stairs or escalators somewhere, but the signs only pointed to lifts) - hence long waiting for the lifts too.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"signs were clearly marked"

Arrived at terminal F for a connecting flight to LHR in terminal D. Signs were clearly marked in both Russian and English. Maps of the airport were also clearly marked in Russian and English with walking times between gates/terminals accurate. Toilets clean but door for the toilet opens outwards and could potentially hit passing person if opened quickly. Terminal F seemed quite narrow with little room to walk between seats and shops. Burger King restaurant inbetween terminal E and F. Transit passengers after arriving at the terminal were directed to passport control and security. Screens just before this showed connecting flights and gate's. Unfortunately the areas designed to accommodate these passengers were extremely small and narrow. After looking at the screens to check connecting flights there was only 5 metres to passport control which only had 2 counters. Immediately after passport control (2 metres) was security which only had 2 x ray machines and 1 metal detector in that area. Inevitably passengers at security would cause a queue which would immediately cause the a back up of passengers going through passport control. It took about 1 hr to get through this. There just was not enough room/staff/security machines to deal with the transit passengers efficiently. If you are transiting through sheremetyevo make sure you have a good 1.3-2 hrs between flights and try to get towards the front in the transit area. Overall the airport reminded me of the older terminals at LHR.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"convenient and easy to use"

(Russian Federation)

The new terminal is quite convenient and easy to use, however of 3 lounges only one is intended for domestic flights and priority pass holders can only use it from 00.00 to 15.00, which is rather strange. You make a stop at SVO from abroad on your way to a domestic destination and you cannot use this facility. I understand its a way to cut expenses but Priory Pass holders pay for this monthly. Never in the world have I encounted such inconvenience - there's alway an alternative. If the lounge is intended for business class travellers only make a place for others too.
Date VisitOctober 2015