Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport

Review by (United States) 24th June 2015

Despite the huge traffic the international area is very small, very few restaurants are available and the choice is very limited. You cannot exit the airport if you don't have a transit visa and there is no smoking cabin available.
Date Visit24-06-2015

Review by (United States) 13th June 2015

I recently transited through Moscow on my way to Poland from the US. The airport seemed relatively modern but still lags far behind other hubs I've flown through like Frankfurt and Heathrow (which isn't saying much). Transit times seem to vary depending on time of day and which terminal you land in. Terminals D, E, and F all form an interconnected transit area. On our first stop over in Moscow we arrived at Terminal F and found ourselves funneled through a tiny transfer area that had one attendant serving multiple arriving flights. While we we arrived near the front of the line, I could see some people easily waiting 40+ minutes to pass through transit passport control and security. On the way back, we landed in Terminal D and things seemed to be better staffed and far less busy. My main complaint with the airport is the absolute lack of space. All three terminals are packed with very expensive duty free stores, squeezing out room for seating, food options, and bathrooms. The toilets at the airport were probably the dirtiest I have seen in any airport, and are stained with cigarette ash marks. In terminal D the duty free shops leave so little room in the corridors that it is a struggle to pass between crowds of people queuing for their flight. Terminal D also gets very hot during the daytime. The airport staff didn't seem very friendly or interested in customer service. They mostly bark commands at passengers. For long layovers, I highly recommend the airport capsul hotel in Terminal E.
Date Visit13-06-2015

Review by (India) 31st May 2015

Indeed Aeroflot is one of the best airlines but the Russian airports are the worst airports in the world! Chaos everywhere. I had the Russian visa and a full day in hand to visit Moscow but not one of the airport staff could help me. No tourist information desk. Airline staff also not co-operative once you get off the plane. No adequate seating places for passengers the space is full sale kiosks and shops. Transit area filled with shops many shops not accepting international credit cards. Arrival area is worse.

Review by (Germany) 20th May 2015

I have used the airport over the years for my Asia trips (Berlin to Bangkok or Hanoi). The airport is clean small the transfer procedure is normally fast but understaffed passport control and slowly security check (every time long waiting). Lounges are medium not good not bad. While leading airports like Frankfurt have also an acceptable smoking room service (even in the newly build Senator/Gold card Lounges as service for premium customers) Sheremetyevo is now strictly smoking free. One of the biggest disadvantages of this airport. 3 to 4 hours in transit are so quite uncomfortable for smokers. That is in my view the main negative point.

Review by (Canada) 13th May 2015

This was my first visit to Sheremetyevo in a number of years and I was pleasantly surprised. We flew out of Terminal E. The terminal is super clean and seems to have lots of nice shops and choices for food. The check in was quick and easy as was surprisingly passport control. The security line was atrocious with lines well over half an hour and of course people trying to jump the queue. They only had one point open and seemed to be going particularly slowly and were secondary scanning every passenger. The lounge was also a bit lame lots of snack food but nothing substantial.

Review by (Israel) 1st May 2015

Use this airport for transfer flights to east. Airport arrival at terminal D early morning very good service. Very easy to get out to City. Getting back is another thing at terminal F Long queues very crowded every free room become another "duty free" shop. No free place to sit and wait for next flight the airport has problems with fixing outgoing gates which are changed all the time. Terminal is very crowded from lack of free space. Terminal D for outgoing flight is the same - very crowded nowhere to sit and wait for next flights gates are changed all the time.

Review by (Germany) 18th February 2015

Arrived at the Airport on Terminal D (from Berlin) and boarded again on Terminal F (to Bangkok) with Aeroflot. We had a stopover of 01.15 hrs and it was said to take 01.05hrs to get from Terminal D to F. All flights were on time but we knew we better hurry. After hurrying it turned out that we just needed less than 30 minutes of fast walking to arrive at our boarding gate. If people tell you here that they needed one hour to get there than they either can't read signs or don't know how to walk. I even lost my boarding pass and it was reprinted at the boarding gate in just one minute. Had a long queue at the boarding gate though. Did not had the chance to use any facilities as of the short stopover. On the return flight (Terminal F to Terminal D) we had a 4 hours stopover and spent the time in a small Asian restaurant as we didn't wanted to sit in the small boarding area. There is free Wifi though very slow. But to be honest I have not seen any airport yet with fast wifi. No matter if Dubai Hong Kong Bangkok London or Milan (for example). The Wifi is slow everywhere. At least the wifi here in 2015 in SVO seemed to be more responsive as in Dubai first class lounge back in 2007. There is another security check even for transit passengers (but I have seen this in Abu Dhabi as well). All in all it could have been much worse. I can confirm that the Terminals are non smoking without the availability of smoking rooms. If other passengers complain here that they had to wait 4 hours in terminal F and it was horrible I don't understand why they did not waited 3 of that 4 hours in terminal D. My worst stopover was 6 hours in 2007 in Doha Airport and I can tell that 4 hours in Sheremetyevo seemed way easier to me.

Review by (Serbia) 6th February 2015

Just returned from my trip with Aeroflot. Sheremetyevo airport is outdated and should be improved first of all Terminal F where most of long haul flights start from. Airport is dark without enough seats restaurants toilets or moving walkways. There are no smoking areas I'm not smoker but this forces people to smoke in the toilets which I didn't see anywhere before. There are lines and lines of alcohol-chocolate duty free shops souvenirs and bad selection of cafes. If you have a long wait for connecting flight brace yourself. I think that a country of such a size and history deserves better airport and definitely less political souvenirs.

Review by (New Zealand) 21st December 2014

I used SVO airport today to fly from Moscow to Hong Kong. I was really disappointed by the number of security checks in the airport - we had to pass through a total of 4 security checks for all our baggage. Apart from that there was a good variety of shops selling last-minute products which was good. Overall I was pretty dissatisfied with the security checks and the staff who couldn't speak English and were really rude towards everyone however everything else is really good.

Review by (Israel) 10th September 2014

Airport which is composed of several terminals connected together. Sometimes you have to walk about 30-45 min between terminals. Lot of shops in the way seems to be more shops than passengers. Selection in shops very limited and high prices. In terminal F there are not enough seats people after a long walk have nowhere to sit. If you have a long time to wait there is no entertainment like in other airports. If you have time and are going to the city be careful of the way back traveling time from city center can take more than 2.5 hours.