Top 100 Airlines

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport

"huge lines at immigration"

We quickly disembarked from the plane but after walking through the airport, we met huge lines at immigration (we were transiting to a domestic flight) and had only 10 minutes until our flight would be boarding. We got to the front of the queue but the woman became frustrated in having to deal with a group of Chinese tourists and decided to close her lane. We then asked for an Aeroflot representative to lead us to the front of another line. The woman was a bit slow but eventually we got through. Sheremetyevo airport is large and dysfunctional, with very few signs and none to ask. Finally, we got to our gate, but it was delayed by 15-20 minutes anyway.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"queues moving slowly"

Departure (terminal D, international, 8.00-11.30) - despite the size of the terminal, almost all areas are overcrowded and the staff seem not to be able to cope with it - very few passport check gates open, queues moving slowly. Security checks are generally ok, however there was overzealousness re electronic gadgets (I was asked to turn on my laptop, a person after me in the queue asked to do the same, he said the battery's dead and he was allowed to pass - so why did they need us to turn them on if they let us through all the same?). Terminals D, E and F are connected airside, which gives some entertainment while waiting (however, walking from D to F is a pretty long way). Terminal D is overcrowded, dirty floors, terminal E looks neglected (floor tiles missing here and there, very few seating, terminal F, despite being the oldest, looks clean and well-kept, but it's cluttered with shops and quite claustrophobic. Power outlets for PCs are almost absent (I managed to find one in terminal F only.) "Kofemania" coffee shop (Terminal D, near the stairs to the bus gates) - avoid at all cost. Awfully expensive and with the slowest service I've ever seen (they kept me waiting for 30 minutes for my cappuccino). Plenty of jet bridges, yet we were bussed to our plane, and the apron was pretty slippery. Arrival: bussed again and had to climb to the third floor to pass through the immigration and then to go down again to the first floor for luggage reclaim. A very long queue at immigration, with only seven gates open (out of 30-35), some queues are for several gates, some are just for one and you can't say which is which in a crowd like that. Getting from Terminal D arrivals to 'Aeroexpress' train was another adventure, as the access to the train is from terminal E only and from the departures level, and the connection between Arrivals and Departures levels is by lifts only, and there are only three lifts (maybe there were some stairs or escalators somewhere, but the signs only pointed to lifts) - hence long waiting for the lifts too.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"signs were clearly marked"

Arrived at terminal F for a connecting flight to LHR in terminal D. Signs were clearly marked in both Russian and English. Maps of the airport were also clearly marked in Russian and English with walking times between gates/terminals accurate. Toilets clean but door for the toilet opens outwards and could potentially hit passing person if opened quickly. Terminal F seemed quite narrow with little room to walk between seats and shops. Burger King restaurant inbetween terminal E and F. Transit passengers after arriving at the terminal were directed to passport control and security. Screens just before this showed connecting flights and gate's. Unfortunately the areas designed to accommodate these passengers were extremely small and narrow. After looking at the screens to check connecting flights there was only 5 metres to passport control which only had 2 counters. Immediately after passport control (2 metres) was security which only had 2 x ray machines and 1 metal detector in that area. Inevitably passengers at security would cause a queue which would immediately cause the a back up of passengers going through passport control. It took about 1 hr to get through this. There just was not enough room/staff/security machines to deal with the transit passengers efficiently. If you are transiting through sheremetyevo make sure you have a good 1.3-2 hrs between flights and try to get towards the front in the transit area. Overall the airport reminded me of the older terminals at LHR.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"convenient and easy to use"

(Russian Federation)

The new terminal is quite convenient and easy to use, however of 3 lounges only one is intended for domestic flights and priority pass holders can only use it from 00.00 to 15.00, which is rather strange. You make a stop at SVO from abroad on your way to a domestic destination and you cannot use this facility. I understand its a way to cut expenses but Priory Pass holders pay for this monthly. Never in the world have I encounted such inconvenience - there's alway an alternative. If the lounge is intended for business class travellers only make a place for others too.
Date VisitOctober 2015

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

There is a lot of renovations. Everything is overpriced except alcohol in duty free. Most shops only take roubles which you must exchange at ridiculous exchange rates. Many shops have "broken" credit card terminals so have cash on you when you arrive.

(Hong Kong)

It is quite good in terminal D and E, which provides free WIFI service and air conditioners. However, not as good in terminal F. No air conditioners and the immigration process is abnormally bad. I had to wait for 1.5 hours to finish the whole process. In the terminal there is nothing special (shops etc) and the WiFi connectivity is always limited.

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

Terrible public smelling bathrooms. The people lack any kind of decent customer service, and don't know how to crack even a bit of a smile. The shops and restaurants rarely accept Euros, or Dollars. Unbelievable how bad my treatment was when the wheelchair requested in Amsterdam for Moscow wasn't there . They first tried the "we don't speak English", and then told me to wait for someone to come with a wheelchair. I saw an Aeroflot employee bring 2 wheelchairs by me and went down the elevator with them. No one ever came. My 7 hour layover won't be over soon enough.

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

From Amsterdam to Beijing via Moscow Sheremetyevo. Arrived in the early morning (around 4.30am) for a layover of almost 8 hours. Most of the shops were closed. No ATM Machines to be found. Credit Card could not be used everywhere. Luckily, I had some Singapore dollars in my wallet so I could change some money. Else, I did not have any money for food and drinks. Airport not very clean and walking from terminal to terminal is not convienient. Ground staff are pretty rude and not helpful. Most of them did not even speak understandable English. Many shops, but eateries are limited. For a transit of 1 or 2 hours I would say okay, but not for a longer layover. No WiFi, if you want WiFi, you have to go to gate (arond 51?). There is a shop that provides WiFi (probably not for passengers).
Date VisitJanuary 2015

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

Despite the huge traffic the international area is very small, very few restaurants are available and the choice is very limited. You cannot exit the airport if you don't have a transit visa and there is no smoking cabin available.
Date VisitJune 2015

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

I recently transited through Moscow on my way to Poland from the US. The airport seemed relatively modern but still lags far behind other hubs I've flown through like Frankfurt and Heathrow (which isn't saying much). Transit times seem to vary depending on time of day and which terminal you land in. Terminals D, E, and F all form an interconnected transit area. On our first stop over in Moscow we arrived at Terminal F and found ourselves funneled through a tiny transfer area that had one attendant serving multiple arriving flights. While we we arrived near the front of the line, I could see some people easily waiting 40+ minutes to pass through transit passport control and security. On the way back, we landed in Terminal D and things seemed to be better staffed and far less busy. My main complaint with the airport is the absolute lack of space. All three terminals are packed with very expensive duty free stores, squeezing out room for seating, food options, and bathrooms. The toilets at the airport were probably the dirtiest I have seen in any airport, and are stained with cigarette ash marks. In terminal D the duty free shops leave so little room in the corridors that it is a struggle to pass between crowds of people queuing for their flight. Terminal D also gets very hot during the daytime. The airport staff didn't seem very friendly or interested in customer service. They mostly bark commands at passengers. For long layovers, I highly recommend the airport capsul hotel in Terminal E.
Date VisitJune 2015