Vote Now

Moscow Domodedovo Airport

"weren't any places to sit"

(Armenia)

Verified Review | Moscow Domodedovo Airport is the worst I have ever been to. Service was just dreadful. I had to stand (as there weren't any places to sit) in a freezing hall near to gate 19. They obligate us to take off our shoes and there wasn't anything to wear on our feet so we had to enter security barefoot. I wanted to find someone to talk about the problems or ask about shoes and all staff refused to help me. Their irreverent attitude to the passengers is not at all good.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"airport needs to be rebuilt"

Moscow Domodedovo is an old airport that needs to be rebuilt. Terminals feel cramped, lack of decent places to eat and there is no free wi-fi. Well, there is but you have to provide a Russian number. The +7 is hard coded in to the form. After that, you then have to SMS from that number to a short code. Frustrating. Moscow Sheremetyevo is better and that is saying something. I'd pay extra to fly to vko again. Bring back Transaero!
Date VisitNovember 2016

"seems to be improving"

Moscow Domodedovo seems to be improving since my last visit in October last year. British Airways check in was hassle free. Being a smoker, the Russian police were good enough to let me leave what little hand luggage I had beside the entrance security to save the security check over and over. A few nice coffee shops and eateries before security, but a tad pricey. International departure area has a lot of touristy shops which are overpriced, so if getting souvenirs do so before you get to Airport.
Date VisitApril 2016

"it can be negotiated easily"

(China)

On my first arrival at Moscow DME, the most international of Moscow airports, I was uneasy, but after many transit it can be negotiated easily, now arrival is easy to me. You don't need even to fill in an immigration form, the immigration officer does it. Luggage retrieval is quite fast and they even put 'fagile' labelled luggage aside. Now there is English signage. Custom is easy (worst is at Narita). Transportation if by taxi can be arranged inside terminal (better than outside where you will be approached by unlicensed drivers and doubtful if licensed cars use the meter correctly). The airport express train is good though it takes an hour (it is very far), but taking a taxi at the terminal may be a problem, though a metro station is not far if you know how to use it!. DME is one of three Moscow airports of very large size and can look intimidating, but it is not if you learn your way through it. Be warned that taxi can be expensive due to constant traffic jam, On one occasion I took a taxi it took more than 2 hours and I nearly missed the flight! Contrary to what you may be led to think, it is a good airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"very few signs"

Having arrived on a S7 domestic flight from Irkutsk, we left the domestic concourse and proceeded to the international one. Have to say, very few signs (like Sheremetyevo) but luckily there are people to ask for directions. Since our baggage was checked through, we went to immigration. Although the queue was extremely short (only one person in front), it took us nearly 20 minutes to get through as it seemed that the woman in front didn't have her papers sorted and a young stern officer being very suspicious of us because we were going to Georgia. She kept checking everything, asking why we were going there etc. Finally we got through to the departure lounge but we had a 5 hour layover. In this section, there seemed to be very few restaurants (and the few that there were were extremely expensive). WiFi seems to be available but in reality it doesn't work! We decided to pay £30 each to go to the S7 Business Class Lounge - have to say it was a wonderful experience as very few people, good catering facilities, great WiFi and the ability to unwind. 5 hours later, our flight to Tbilisi was called and we departed. Overall, a good experience, if you use the Business lounge.
Date VisitApril 2016

Moscow Domodedovo Airport customer review

Check-in with Lufthansa dreadfully slow with people pushing in. Passport check and security to the gate took an hour because staff were working at glacial pace. There are no real departure lounges just shops and a few seats if you are lucky. Toilets were reeking ashtrays as the cubicles were full of smokers and the air filled with choking haze. Hallways and departure lounges packed with useless cleaners and functionaries a team from a bank had set up a sales point outside gate three further restricting access to the gate. Food ridiculously overpriced such as 450 rubles for a cup of tea. A miserable place and soured my whole experience of Russia.

Moscow Domodedovo Airport customer review

I was actually impressed by DME. I was only connecting here from Easyjet to domestic and from domestic to Easyjet. I had given myself 3 hours to do this in each direction but could have easily done it with less. Obviously had to recheck in on to the domestic flight but that was quick and simple and easy to find. Security was quick but the departure hall for domestic flights was very crowded so it's probably best to wait in the public area until nearer the flight. It only took me 30 minutes from leaving the Easyjet flight to go through immigration check-in and clear security. On the return trip it was just as efficient with no lines anywhere. In the international departures area it was less crowded. The prices in the coffee bars were very high - be warned.

Moscow Domodedovo Airport customer review

Tiny washrooms almost non-existent seating needless pseudo security line before entering building poor signage direction on to the correct place unhelpful staff (For me this included refusal to complete my check-in into the US - Denver). I had to exit customs and collect baggage in Toronto then re-check-in and deposit luggage plus security again. Oh they do have abundant "duty-free" liquor stores which can make there other issues seem ok. The tiny washrooms were cleaner than most in Russia.

Moscow Domodedovo Airport customer review

I spent only 2 hours in transit coming from Singapore and onwards to Houston. Never will I go through this airport ever again. The long lines at security are totally unnecessary. They checked passports several times and even went manually through hand luggage. It feels totally unorganised. There is no smoking room at all - against any previous reports you might find. The law has changed very recently and smoking is completely banned. The transit area is very small - well - it is a very small airport. There is nothing much to do see or buy. I for sure have it on my black list. Unfortunately I will have to go through Domodedovo again on my return trip if I can not change my routing. I had so many options to fly from Australia to Houston and had to choose the worst one. It will not happen again - for sure.

Moscow Domodedovo Airport customer review

Having had to spend 9 hours there Friday night/Saturday morning; I have to say that the airport itself was a pleasant surprise. It functions 24 hours per day and this means that outlets remain open. The reason for posting this is to warn people about access to the airport particularly on a Friday evening. We thought that 2.5 hours from the centre of Moscow would be ample for a 10.15 p.m. departure. It wasn't - the trip took over 3 hours with the taxi driver using every trick he knew. Take the train.