Montego Bay Airport

Montego Bay Airport customer review

Parts of the airport look very worn and run down. Not at all what you might expect of an international airport. It's also very hot inside the airport and at the gates. We were fortunate to get through Customs and Immigaration in minutes on our arrival. On our departure we got through everything quickly until we were ready to board our plane. That's when airport security decided (or maybe this is policy) to hand check every single carry on. This process took almost an hour. Our carry on bags had already been checked by security so I'm not sure why they hand checked every bag at the gate but everyone was quite annoyed. The duty free shopping section of the airport is really nice clean and there are plenty of stores to chose from. This part of the airport was cooler also. Mobay airport needs much updating but it seems to run pretty smoothly even though most of the employees aren't overly friendly or helpful.

Montego Bay Airport customer review

MBJ or Sangster AIrport has grown from an old army airfield in WWII to a reasonable airport for a developing country. I started flying there when it was one runway and a quonset hut for a terminal. The airport operation is contracted out to a Canadian Airport Authority (Vancouver?). Current construction of a new building at the east end will alleviate most complaints (due 2006). Problem generally is the impatient intolerant pax - this airport is equivilant to a regional airport in size and traffic volume. To expect service levels to equal Heathrow or other non-american airports is unrealistic. If one is realistic & winds down to island time/speed it is a pleasant experience - people watching is VERY interesting here- I have seen more people make fools of themselves that at any other airport.. I have always found parking spots in the parking lot & it is an easy walk from their to the check-in counters. The current waiting lounge is indeed small but is more friendly that the vast majority of N American facilities. My favourite feature - you dont have to take a bus down the tarmac to even get to the plane or even walk miles to it. The main cause for consternation is from americans who have to go through extensive/excessive? security screening as imposed by their own govt. I have seen lines from AA etc out the door due to this. By now anyone bound for a american airport should have gotten accustomed to this and altered their check in times accordingly. Now that Air Jamaica is no longer Air Sandals indeed there have been changes but it is still a 'friendly' airline and they still represent the majority of check-in counters. And for arriving pax the flight path in (generally from the west) provided some dramatic views of this island nation.

Montego Bay Airport customer review

What a terrible experience? Waited for 3 1/2 hours with my pregnant wife and 2 year old child to get through immigration upon arriving there 2/19/05. Rumor was there was a work slow down in protest of the new owners of Air Jamaica (Jamaican Gov't) For a country that owes approx. 70% of it's GDP to tourism you'd think they would have a few intelligent people there to maintain standards of quality for the visitors that spend several thousand dollars coming to the country. I had a great stay but a terrible experience coming AND going. Not sure if I'll ever go back.

Montego Bay Airport customer review

The MBJ I found in June 2004 was old tired and poorly staffed. What staff there were clearly were not motivated and did not give a damn about the passengers. The facilities were overcrowded and poor or non existent signing did not help The staff should be told that shouting louder at people who clearly do not understand English is not good service and that mannerisms teeth sucking and rude comments can clearly be understood as part of "the international language" Immigration was not much better. Not an awe inspiring experience and best avoided.

Montego Bay Airport customer review

The Facilities are quite nice and beautiful. I am looking forward to the completion of the new 12-gate concourse and the new terminal. However I am hoping that the airport will become very profitable and viable.