Montego Bay Airport

Montego Bay Airport customer review

Experienced the most professional & friendly people while departing Montego Bay. Security checkpoint was not stressful and rushed gift shop vendors actually made you feel welcome and the place was clean (even though it was under renovation). Wish that some of airports in the US were operated with the same amount of class!

Montego Bay Airport customer review

We were at Sangster International airport March 2008. Coming was ok but leaving was bad the Delta people were on strike so our plane was 2 hours late due to cleaning and restocking the plane. Check in people were intentionally going extra slow and some people waited long hours to check in. No one at the airport would talk to us and let us know what was going on or if we were even flying out the same day. Many people were there from the day before. Food is way too expensive and you can't take any liquids on your carry ont. It was air conditioned and comfortable.

Montego Bay Airport customer review

Lots of walking due to the renovations. But overall reasonable. Leaving - different story. The check in was ridiculous. The Airport was more or less empty except for our flight leaving at 8:45 pm. Almost every person experienced some sort of problem. Overweight baggage to many bags etc. The computer system and payment desk were something out of the 1980's. It seemed that there was only 1 person that knew what was going on. He was running from station to station trying get everybody processed. Then my partner stood in a line up (at that time) of 3 people for over an hour to the pay the $100 USD to get our overweight scuba gear home. (Scuba gear is suppose to be free) Then security checks. The same guy takes my passport and about 5 others and disappears. One passenger is freaking out. Eventually after about an hour and a half all is well. We get past the security metal detectors and into the "Mall" area. This part of the Airport has very modern everything and is quite nice. It seems they forgot to get the new computers for the check in area. My advice - make sure your baggage is under the limit returning from your trip. Buy your Rum in the Duty Free on the way back. It’s not included in the baggage weight and less expensive than the regular stores. Absolutely no liquid in your carry on. Toronto allows small amounts but not Jamaica. Even thought they have signs every ware saying they do! Oy!

Montego Bay Airport customer review

MBJ is quite an interesting airport. Certainly one of the better in that region. There are al ot of duty free shops however they need more restaurants. Immigration and custom hall needs to be expanded. You may have to do a lot of walking depending on where your gate is. Overall my time at the airport was pleasant it has a beautiful decor and is very spacious.

Montego Bay Airport customer review

Landed at Montego Bay. Went to the baggage hall and found that our bags had been piled on a trolley by a person who insisted on wheeling this to the customs officer. He stated he was not allowed to take the baggage any further. The distance was less than 20 yards but he still wanted a tip. I have pushed my luggage many times across this baggage hall and never thought about it. Why are these people allowed to do this? Used Montego Bay airport on my return to England. The airport has been extended and is more pleasant to use now that AC is installed. We did not find the new shops/bars and restaurants until we went to the gate which by then there was no tiime left to use these facilities. More information after security and information about the new lay out would have been useful. Check in had been shorter than expected so that we would have appreciated the new facilities. Never mind we will know for the next trip.

Montego Bay Airport customer review

It is quite modern and spacious and every time I pass through there I am always amazed with the amount of work that is being done to improve the facility. The new international concourse is very impressive. However I do think it could be utilized a little bit more but it is a busy airport during the rush hours of 10am to 5pm. Some problems is that the AC does not work that well in Immigrations or Customs but that will soon be changed as they are building a whole new section to replace the current immigration and customs area. There are so many shops and a new shopping concourse is suppose to open really soon. I think there should be a first class lounge for all the airlines that don’t have their own and I feel the check in lobby in the departure concourse needs to be extended. During the busy periods its way to crowded and it seems like it takes forever for you to check in. Also I think they need to raise the roof in the western concourse it’s a little bit to low and it feels claustrophobic. If you’re an aviation fan this is a nice airport to for some spotting from the East concourse because it’s very airy and allot of glass windows. Overall I give the airport 4 out of 5. It will be nice to see the airport again once it has completed its expansion project. Maybe then Ill give it a 5 out of 5. There might be a lot of walkign also depending on what concourse your flight departs from.

Montego Bay Airport customer review

Conditions greatly improved from Dec. '05 to February '06. We do miss the welcoming dancers from years past. Yes the walk to the immigration queue upon departing the plane is long. The lines move quicker once you arrive as there are more agents. Unloading baggage in mid December took one hour. In late Feb. it was a breeze! The restrooms in the international gate area are clean & modern. Yes the prices in the new shops restaurants are high. I think the old duty free shops were cheaper for perfumes.

Montego Bay Airport customer review

MBJ (International terminal) is an airport that is always expanding and there is something new to see every time you visit. The main problem currently are the lines whether it be immigration customs or checkin. They have improved on the PA system and currently expanding and modernizing the terminal. This facility should be excellent and one of the best in the caribbean once completed. I would love to see more restaurants and improvement with the public display system technology. The air condition also needs improvements. It does not work the same throughout the entire terminal. The new eastern concourse is quite modern and efficient. The Domestic terminal serves it purpose. Quite a distance from the International terminal but the airlines that operate from there does provide free transit to and from the terminals. However there is rumours that the domestic terminal will be merged with the International terminal.

Montego Bay Airport customer review

Recently I travelled through MBJ on vacation. I found parts of the airport extremely run-down and the heat inside the building is unbearable they should invest in a good air-conditioning system. On arrival we waited at passport control for over an hour standing there were but few desks and only a handful of staff. The international check- in area is very messy and dirty. Queues again were ridiculous! When reaching the end of the queue you are confronted by an official rushing you to a couple of fold-down tables where more official will then go through all your luggage in front of everyone then again you are pushed to a check-in desk. The international departures lounge is nice but hot things are over priced compared to outside. The new gate area is wonderful! Although its still boiling and there are very long walks with now moving walk ways.

Montego Bay Airport customer review

Immigration processing at MBJ is not good. It can take over an hour to get through - almost as bad as Miami. On our last visit there were only 3 officers on duty and an uneven distribution of the feeder lines. We got funnelled to the worst one. The immigration officers do not make you feel welcome. No AC or fans were on. On the return leg we got to MBJ 3 hours before and check-in and immigration were a breeze (although not terribly friendly). We also got harassed by the red cap porter who did not think we had tipped enough for the 30 yards he had transported our luggage! The shops at MBJ are generally quite good but tend to close at 2200. The AC and fans were on in the departure lounge. Not good thinking by the marketing people there. Boarding was efficient. But MBJ needs to improve that airport's act and the attitude of its staff.