Miami Airport

"security lines were horrible"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | We went on a trip to Orlando and because we couldn't find a fair price for a flight we opted to fly out of Miami. We arrived at midnight so not much to be said about that. Arrival and luggage was ok as was the transportation to the rental cars. On the way back home however, we 'experienced' this airport. The security lines were horrible. Everyone walks around at an immensly slow speed. One person can't be bothered with helping out others. No real info on who needs to go through regular detection gates and who needs to be bodyscanned. Our carry ons were taken apart after being scanned and it took one single security officer about half an hour before he went through our stuff to check. I don't mind that my carry ons need extra screening for whatever reason but please, do it at a decent speed. The security lines were chaotic at best. Once through security I can't say the airport was dirty but the amenities were very limited as was the seating. Once home I also noticed that the TSA cut the security belt around my suitcase open with bolt cutters, even when it had a TSA lock. And they must have had a key since the suitcase as well had a security TSA lock which was correctly opened. I also put a special cloth sleeve around my suitcase to protect it from wear and scratches which I didn't even bother putting back on. When waiting, there is free WiFi but only for 45 minutes. Great when WiFi was a novelty but nowadays simply incomprehensible. Miami Airport is truly on my to-avoid-list of airports now. I guess when visiting Orlando and the airfare is to expensive, you are even better off flying to Atlanta and drive to Orlando.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Took nearly 2 hours"

Not Verified | Never change here if you can avoid it. Took nearly 2 hours to get through immigration and then we had to run through airport and push to the front of security in order to make our connecting flight (which we had already allowed a 2 hours layover for!). The staff couldn't understand what they were doing, we were queuing into an area where we had to get ESTA receipts and then 45 mins later another load of planes arrive and get guided into a similar area which is inexplicably not being used, with the result that people who had arrived 45 mins after us got through immigration quicker due to poor poor queue management. Cannot understand why those on connecting flights need to do the immigration process, transferring in the UK doesn't require this and it seems really unnecessary when you aren't even leaving the airport.
Date VisitApril 2018

"the worst we experienced"

Not Verified | As an American citizen, I can say that the Miami Internationals airport customs was the worst we experienced after visiting at least 8 other countries in Southeast Asia. Why is there not a separate line for Americans? Every other country does this. Why do I have to wait 2 hours in line so that someone can approve my customs information in 2 minutes! I pay taxes and the salaries of custom officials - foreigners don’t - so make it easy for your own citizens to pass through. How hard is that to understand. Every other country we visited understand that. But, that’s US government for you.

"chaotic and horrible"

Trip Verified | From the moment we got off the plane every single employee we encountered in customs and immigration were disrespectful, rude and even down right mean. One gentleman’s job was specifically to tell people which line to filter into and yet he managed to sound extremely annoyed with every human being he came in contact with. The line was painfully long in immigration especially for the non-citizens and when I tried to ask a question to one employee she interrupted me mid question to tell me to keep walking. She treated the next two people who approached her in this same manner. The two women trying to organize the line did it by yelling and talking in bossy, annoyed tones to the hundreds of innocent people who were all just trying to do what they said. When someone made a mistake, heaven forbid if you didn’t exactly understand what “go to the end” means when the room is the size of a football field, then that poor person was berated by the employee who then walked away shaking her head as if every human was an idiot. After our first two negative interactions I started talking to my kids about how we should treat people. They could see how the employees we treating everyone and they could tell that we were just trying to obey whatever “rules” were in place to avoid being singled out. Unfortunately we saw employees act like school yard bullies well over a dozen times and didn’t see one kind exchange in the entire 2 hours that we spent in the Miami airport. Chaotic and horrible.
Date VisitApril 2018

"worst customs and transfer process"

Trip Verified | Returned from overseas through Miami and it was the absolutely worst customs and transfer process I have ever experienced. If this is our “front door” to the world, I am embarrassed to imagine what overseas travelers must think. I have cleared customs in many other countries and they all put their best foot forward. Not so in Miami. Entire process took over two hours, airport is dirty and worms out, and never once did anyone try to assist with ensuring the process was understood. Then that had only one screening line open to get to your transfer and no TSA pre-check, so that took 45 minutes itself. We barely made our connection and had nearly a 3 hour layover! Embarrassing!
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Miami airport was literal chaos"

Not Verified | Miami airport was literal chaos. The employees were just shouting directions, which were unclear and confusing. I witnessed not 1 but 2 different employees talking down to people - one of which was a man who did not speak English. They were shouting at everyone to “keep moving, don’t stop.” At the security point they told us to keep our shoes on and don’t take anything out of our carry on bags to get us through the line faster. In my opinion this jeopardises the security of everyone there for the sake of speediness. The employees were rude and the entire process of catching my conncecting flight was chaotic.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"waiting times ridiculously long"

(Qatar)

Trip Verified | One of the worst handled airports. Everybody knows that Miami has a very busy airport. The waiting time in the lines are however ridiculously long. The airport has obviously not been adapted to its increase number of customers. Waiting time going was at least 1 and a half hours. On the way back definitely shorter (30 to 45 minutes which is adequate) however at the expense of the politeness of staff. The immigration and security officers are extremely rude and obnoxious - amongst the worst I've experienced not only in the U.S.. How ironic to have staff shout "computers ain't gonna take themselves out of bags" and "dont you have a flight to catch" standing right next to a display saying that employees need to be patient and nice to travelers. Not everyone is a frequent flyer and most aren't familiar with airport procedures. The airport is clean however (toilets, floors and transportation) and the wifi works perfectly
Date VisitMarch 2018

"courtesy and pleasantness goes a long way"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience. The staff were unbelievably rude. My husband went to sit in a chair not knowing it was a handicapped only area and was told to rudely “get out of here”. When we were at the wrong entrance we were again yelled at loud enough for everyone to hear. We got an ice cream at Haagen Daz and were ignored as the two workers chit chatted while we stood there waiting. Then there were paper liners on the inside of the cone. I went into the ladies room and the cleaning woman proceeded to yell at me as I apparently went to the side she was still cleaning on and pointed at me telling me “you! You use this side only!” A little courtesy and pleasantness goes a long way when you deal with the public. I will never use this trashy, obnoxious hole again.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"poor lighting, no investment"

Trip Verified | Miami Airport where the third world meets the USA. We arrived with no hassles as we had gone through US immigration and customs in Dublin. On the way back packed into a very small room, poor lighting, no investment to make the process slicker and no management. When the screening machine stopped working our line was told to cut into the other two lines. At this stage people have been waiting an hour to get to this stage so lots of grumpy unhappy travellers in all the lines. Make America Great Again - Come to Europe and see how it is done.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"The worst experience ever"

Not Verified | The worst experience ever. Will never use this airport again. 2 hours in immigration coming back from vacation in Antigua. Then another hour through security for the 2nd time. Then to show our passports another 8 times. Common sense we wouldn't have got that far without showing our passports in Antigua. Then to run to make the final boarding call for our connecting flight. What in the world is wrong with paying a few extra people to work in immigration. Also, it's always nice to return to your own country and get treated like a herd of cattle.