Miami Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 20th June 2015

This is the 4th visit and each time it is the same long wait, this time the walk was extremely long, I am very fit so not a problem but I did feel sorry for the elderly. The passport staff are sad looking people, they look too authoritative and scare one off from entering, perhaps the management should look at all the reviews and realise that there is a problem. My view of the problem is they don't seem to like speaking English, they prefer Spanish and they seem to think this is little Cuba. Nothing has changed in 7yrs, so will fly to a different airport next time.
Date Visit20-06-2015

Review by (United States) 18th June 2015

One of the worst experiences. Airport looks like it was frozen in the 80's and thawed out recently. Musty smell, endless corridors and airport employees yelling at you to give you indications. I felt really uncomfortable, as well as other people, often misguided tourists. The airport should review its methods of recruitment, since many employees are unfit to deal with international tourists and often rude. Bad, bad experience.
Date Visit18-06-2015

Review by (United States) 5th May 2015

The worst airport in the US. Unbelievably long waits at security even for TSA Pre-check. Long walk to gates if flying American. Last arrival I waited over 40 minutes for a bag despite it being marked priority. The rental car center is nice but you will walk forever to get there and will be exhausted if you have any luggage at all. Be certain you have a GPS when leaving the rental car center otherwise you will get lost. There are essentially no signs as one leaves the airport and the locals drive like maniacs. I would use FLL when I come to Miami but my destination is south of MIA so it's quite a drive. It might be best to avoid south Florida altogether.

Review by (United States) 12th April 2015

Awful airport whether arriving on an international flight or flying out on a domestic flight. Check in service is chaotic at best with both airport and airline staff being rude and unhelpful. Arriving on international flights is worse. Aside from being 'greeted' by one of the worst passport controls you should also expect missing any connections less than three hours as the horrible service will ensure you will not make your connection. Offerings are poor from charging stations to free wifi. Food amenities are basic at best with some decent local fare but nothing akin to other major international airports. Ground transport is poor but has lot of car rental offerings. Not much improvement in last 25 years. Suggest you try going to FLL instead.

Review by (United Kingdom) 6th April 2015

Another horrendous passport control issue to add 2 hours of queuing. The border staff are slow and rude. I will avoid Miami from now on.

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th March 2015

We were booked on a cruise sailing out of Miami - Dodge Island and off a 10 hour flight we were greeted by a mile walk to "passport control". We had already completed the ESTA visa waiver before we left and paid $17 so thought it would be a formality. We then queued for an hour to use one of 50 or so automated Immigration scanners which scanned passport finger prints and photo and usual questions and gleefully got a receipt. Great I thought that's us out of here! But No we then queued again for over an hour to be finger printed and photographed again by a US Immigration official at a booth and questioned on our visit and passport stamped. We then went to collect our luggage which had been removed from the carousel and then queued again to leave the terminal for anther 1/2 an hour and yet another immigration official taking our landing card and checking our passports! The U.S. Immigration process is a total joke why can't they just let us leave the airport?

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th March 2015

We travel through Miami approx four times per year but it has been so bad of late that we have decided no more. There are other options and we have decided that the inconvenience and potential extra expense are worth it. The length of line and rudeness of staff are incredible in a country like the US - as a widely travelled person I have never heard an airport official swear but in front of many people kids included out came a volley of f's and b's like you've never heard! They just don't seem to care. The main issue is the airport taking many more flights on to make plenty of cash - they really do deserve themselves just a disgrace.

Review by (Cayman Islands) 4th March 2015

Simply the worst airport in North America possibly the developed world. Do everything you possibly can not to arrive here from overseas. It is the most poorly managed badly staffed and unpleasant airport. I dread passing through it. It's a disgrace and an embarrassment to the USA Florida and in particular whoever is responsible for its maladministration and mismanagement.

Review by (United States) 4th March 2015

Our overseas departure from MIA went fine. No long lines or rude TSA employees. Coming back however was the trip from hell. We arrived at the farthest possible point to immigration and customs. After what seemed like a 1+ mile hike we arrived to find the lines for immigration were more than 1/4 mile long! All the wait was because of the passport control kiosks. People were spending considerable amount of time trying to (1) figure them out and (2) waiting for help from the contract employees. At some the cameras didn't work etc. Then after this wait we ended up in yet another long line just so a "real" border patrol person could stamp our receipt from the kiosk. The baggage area was a zoo. Took us awhile to find our bags as there were literally hundreds laying on the floor off the carousels because people were still in lines at immigration! After customs we followed the signs for hotel pickup. Only problem here is the signs just quit so we didn't know where to wait. Finally had to ask. We will try very hard not to enter the US in MIA.

Review by (Canada) 4th March 2015

Avoid this airport at all costs. We arrived at gate D47. Two hours later we are running to catch a flight at gate D46. Although only in transit from Costa Rica to Toronto we had to clear customs and immigration. Those employees all need training by their human resources on personnel skills deportment and customer service. Each and every one of them was rude surly and a bully. I was one of thousands of people herded like cattle to customs and immigration. There was only one man to answer peoples questions and he was overly rude (probably because he was the only one doing his job and had thousands of people complaining to him). He reduced one senior citizen to tears when she just needed simple help. There was no one to help at the immigration machines when they didn't work or direct people to terminals so it was a mad house. I was told by two customs or immigration "officers" that it was "tough lady you have already missed your flight" (I run fast I didn't) when I asked to move forward in security because the line ups were ridiculous. The immigration and customs were passive aggressive and did not care about the people they were dealing with. The signage at the airport was adequate although the signage for the Sky Train leaves you wanting. At one point the directions to it (and gates D40-50) just disappear and you are left scratching your head. This was truly a nightmare and the worst airport I have been in (and I have been in a number of West African airports!)