Airline of the Year

Miami Airport

"ground staff totally disinterested"

Verified Review | Miami airport is too big as there is not transportation between the linked terminals. The TSA and most ground staff was at best totally disinterested - on the whole rude, slow and deliberately intimidating. This is not a good advertisement for the USA and for the state / city of Florida / Miami. No wonder US visitor numbers are falling. My airline was American Airlines - who have a similar attitude to customers.
Date VisitApril 2017

"security staff were extremely impolite"

Verified Review | As a frequent Flyer I have never seen anything quite as slow as the customs line in Miami. We had to queue for more than 2.5 hours. The agent was on his mobile sending and receiving texts while checking our passports. I don't think workers should be allowed to use mobile phones while at work. On our way back the security staff were extremely impolite, talking to passengers in a very rude manner. In general airport workers are not instructed to be helpful in anyway and are extremely rude. The worst airport I have been so far.
Date VisitApril 2017

"a sad way to represent our country"

The TSA here in Miami Airport are like the Gestapo. They literally have 4-6 agents standing in the lines just yelling at people. One older guy put his bag on the rollers and then went towards the scanner. "Hey! You! Go stand with your luggage! Your bag isn't going to push itself into the machine! Your holding up the line!!!!" This played out non-stop the whole time I was there. Just yelling at people and basically calling them idiots if they forgot something. Worst airport security I have ever seen. What a sad way to represent our country at an international airport. Shameful really
Date VisitApril 2017

"poor mobility between terminals"

Verified Review | Never really liked Miami Airport but it has improved in a few facets of operation but still has the same problems I experienced on my first visit in 1979. Poor mobility between terminals plus a new complaint. The hike from American Airlines baggage area to terminal J is still a lomg walk. No trams or walkways, zero! Poor planning. Internet service in the most advanced airports is now free but not in Miami. When will this airport join the rest of the world's leading airports? Never if the last 38 years indicates the lack of progression in this poorly organized airport.

"Immigration was fast"

(Finland)

Verified Review | I had to connect through MIA airport for an international to international connection. My flight arrived at 5pm and I was back at airside 35 min later. Immigration was fast which took about 10-15 min and walked through customs as bags had cheked through with ITI-tags. It took only few minutes to get through transit security check. This all happened in North terminal (D-gates) which was clean and airy. Have things chanced or was I just lucky?
Date VisitMarch 2017

"there were only a handful of immigration officers present"

Verified Review | I travelled to Miami in December and was through immigration before my bags arrived on the concourse. Perfect. This time it was a disaster. All passengers were directed through the automatic passport / fingerprint / photo machines. There were reasonable queues, but all fine. Normally one then takes the printed strip through the "quick" channel, it gets glanced at and you are in. However, this time, every single foreign visitor had to pass through the full immigration check - and there were only a handful of immigration officers present - literally 5 or 6. This meant queues of literally 2 plus hours minimum. I was one off the first off the plane and it took me two hours ten minutes. Others will have waited for 3+ hours It was shambolic and awful. I used to be suspicious of the horror stories about this airport - my past experiences have largely been ok - but this time, awful. Just awful.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"I have never seen anything quite as slow"

As a frequent Flyer I have never seen anything quite as slow as the customs line in Miami, I had an easy 2 hour layover late at night to catch the last flight to Phoenix and missed it. From the line attendants having absolutely no clue where to queue a line and when agents take breaks to gigantic lines with not enough workers to suitably help passengers through. Another large problem is that airport workers are not instructed to be helpful in anyway, as twice I showed my boarding time to agents working the lines and nothing was done about it. I'm sure if they had to wait 14 hours themselves, they would've put in an effort. An old out of date airport, with few amenities isn't pretty but works, however this is not the case in Miami.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"it was like stepping back in time"

Verified Review | Miami is a very large and old airport. This place looks so dingy and old, it was like stepping back in time! I travel worldwide and it was one of the worst airports I have seen. Flew Iberia out of the E wing. Once you go past security there is very little in the way of food options or shops. It consisted of Pizza Hut, a small beer place, and two freestanding snack stands. That was it. When I got out to the actual gate, there was nothing. There were a few "stores" but they weren't open and I don't know if they are even functional. It was for a 5.30pm flight which ended up being delayed. There were bathrooms, and seating, but nothing else. Everything was closed up. There were 4 different gates where I was. There was a business class lounge not too far for Iberia business passengers, or American Airlines. At this area they did have a duty free shop which was small. The waiting area was fairly clean and the seats were comfortable enough. You have 30 minutes of free wifi after that you have to pay for it. I was early for my flight so the line to go through security and waiting to check in were not long. I had to take a short train to get out to the gates. This airport is serious need of an overhaul. It looks like the 1960's. The buses are in one area on the lower level. Depends on the airline you fly which terminal you are out of.

"everything is disorganized"

Verified Review | Both today and our arrival two weeks ago were horrible experiences in this airport. It is poorly laid out. It is old. It is slow. Everything is disorganized. Having to change planes and go back through security is asinine. Absolutely nobody at any point in time was kind or helpful from American Airlines to security to asking for help from airport staff. Not one person said hello or even cracked a smile. Upon landing in Tampa, we had the exact opposite experience which just reinforced just how bad Miami is. I will do everything I can to never return!
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"everything moved pretty quickly"

Verified Review | I have only ever connected through Miami, so I can't speak to check in, etc. But our connections have always been on international flights, so we have gone through customs and immigration. We have gone through early morning (6:30 am), so my experience may not be typical, but we had no issues. Everything moved pretty quickly. We actually had a 7 hour layover (thanks, American Airlines!) so we had plenty of time to wander and not be rushed. Overall, I think the signage was good, and the one staff member we asked a question was polite and gave us good directions. We ate at the Irish pub in the American Airlines section of the terminal. The food was good and reasonably priced for an airport restaurant. I know many people have had bad experiences at this airport, but ours was pretty positive.
Date VisitNovember 2016