Top 100 Airlines

Miami Airport

"our experience has been positive overall"

(Italy)

We had a stopover in Miami during our flight from Mexico Cancun to Madrid. Having read all the nightmare stories for immigration, losing flights and baggage re-checking, I was prepared for the worst, but we were in reality so lucky and suprised that I want to share it also our experience because it is not always so negative. First, flying AA/Iberia the bags had an "ITI orange tag" and so they were transferred from the AA flight to Iberia flight. As said on the Miami airport website this is depending on airlines and destinations, but it's not true that you have always to pick up your bags during a transit. Secondly, in the period between 7.30pm/8pm few flights were landing from "non US airports", so we arrived at APC kiosks with many of them free, so in 10 minutes we were queuing to have the stamp from the officer. Then, it starts the usual "not so good" part because: Signs are not ok when you leave immigration, because in reality following signs you would probably come to leave the airport since there are arrows for connecting flights moving you outside the terminal when in reality you have to follow the AA connecting flights indications (despite our flight was Iberia for the next leg). Metal detectors/body scanner for the connecting flights are few so you need at least to add 20/30 minutes in your calculation (and again the airport was quite empty at that time). So, in general our experience has been positive overall, because 45 minutes from leaving a first flight to the departure gates again seems a very good "score", in general however I also understand the other reviews because during busy times/hours especially the connecting part/metal detectors seems not adequate to manage thousands of people.
Date VisitApril 2016

"there obviously wasn't enough staff"

April 23rd, 2016 in the evening: This was the worst airport experience we have had. We had flown in from Belize and were to get a connecting flight to JFK. We had a good two hours and thought that would be plenty. Wrong. There were too many people for the task at hand. There obviously wasn't enough staff. The lines were insanely long and slow. What staff we did ask about what was happening were short, unhelpful, sometimes downright rude with no compassion for our predicament. Needless to say we missed our flight. We were booked on a later one and didn't get home until 4 am. I vowed I would never fly via Miami Airport again. The people in charge should be ashamed of their performance.
Date VisitApril 2016

"airport staff were not helpful"

Without a doubt, the worst experience I've had in an airport, and I travel regularly. Immigration was a complete mess. If we had arrived at immigration 2 mins later, we would have missed our flight because of the huge number of people that came in after us. The officers work at a very slow pace with no consideration that you may have a connecting flight. Also, you have to re-check your luggage. You also have to go through security again. My biggest complaint is how the airport staff were not helpful. They acted annoyed at someone asking questions. In fact, generally I wouldn't receive an answer. They would point or even just give a slight nod with their head. Avoid this horrible airport at all cost.
Date VisitApril 2016

"crowded and signage was poor"

Terrible experience overall. On arrival the terminal was crowded and signage was poor. The layout was anything but logical and there were few staff available to direct. On the return from Spain, we used the kiosk for CBP and then stood in a huge line for reasons that are still unclear as when we arrived at the desk, we had but to hand our forms to the agent. No idea why it took so long to get to that step. Then we entered the rescreening area which was packed, noisy and chaotic. The space was far too small for the task and TSA agents seemed to be constantly screaming about something or other. A thunderstorm which halted all ramp activity only made it all worse. Dreadful place to transit.
Date VisitApril 2016

"will avoid at all costs"

Verified Review | I will avoid this airport at all costs in the future. We came through customs from England, connecting to Orlando. We barely made the flight, even though we had 2+ hours in this airport. The signage is pathetic - completely unhelpful. Staff are just as bad. They had us in one line, then pulled us to direct us to another, then back again and that was just to check our bags. We were Pre-TSA, but we were herded halfway down the airport to the second check-in line, which moved so slowly that we should have stayed in the regular line closer to our gate.

"staff were unfriendly"

Miami is the most terrible airport I've ever been in. The lines were long, the place was crowded and all the staff I encountered were unfriendly. I will never fly from Miami again. Took me 2 hours just to get to my next gate. Complete chaos. Not happy at all with the experience.
Date VisitApril 2016

"signage is sporadic and nonsensical"

Miami is without a doubt the worst airport I have ever passed through. It is totally chaotic, the employees appear untrained, uninformed, rude and unhelpful. It is the first time I have ever been in an airport asking for directions when part way through my request when the man I was taking to shouted to someone he knew, walking off to speak to him a few yards away leaving me mid sentence. Another employee was chatting to a colleague as I approached her to ask directions she looked at me and said, "I am not here to help". The signage in the airport is sporadic and nonsensical and the airport just doesn't flow, it is rather I feel, a case study in how not to plan an airport. On arrival at immigration no one knew what was happening. We were herded like sheep first in one direction, the another and then back again. It took me nearly 2 hours to get through passport control. When my passport was being examined the women doing it was more interested in chatting to a male colleague throwing the occasional question my way in between responding to him. I never fly into or out of Miami Airport again.
Date VisitApril 2016

"unfriendly and most unhelpful"

Terrible service. No one could be bothered to help if a passenger was struggling with the machines and so on. The experience was only made slightly better by the friendly officer at the security checkpoint. The counter staff otherwise, was atrocious, unfriendly and most unhelpful.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"no one seemed to care"

Terrible airport for transit, very long line for immigration with obvious logistic inefficiencies and no one seemed to care. Most people around us, us included, missed our connecting flight. Airline staff indicated this is business as usual. Airport looks nice, but avoid for transit.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"simply not enough staff"

Transit is totally different than every other country I have been through. You have to enter the country and then exit again. There are long queues everywhere. The ESTA automated system is a complete waste of time as everything (photographs, fingerprints, questions, passport inspection) is duplicated after queing for a second time. Be warned 2.5 hours may not be long enough to transit and many people miss their connections. Fast track doesn't work because there are simply not enough staff manning the booths. No-one cares.
Date VisitFebruary 2016