Vote Now

Miami Airport

"Immigration was fast"

(Finland)

Verified Review | I had to connect through MIA airport for an international to international connection. My flight arrived at 5pm and I was back at airside 35 min later. Immigration was fast which took about 10-15 min and walked through customs as bags had cheked through with ITI-tags. It took only few minutes to get through transit security check. This all happened in North terminal (D-gates) which was clean and airy. Have things chanced or was I just lucky?
Date VisitMarch 2017

"there were only a handful of immigration officers present"

Verified Review | I travelled to Miami in December and was through immigration before my bags arrived on the concourse. Perfect. This time it was a disaster. All passengers were directed through the automatic passport / fingerprint / photo machines. There were reasonable queues, but all fine. Normally one then takes the printed strip through the "quick" channel, it gets glanced at and you are in. However, this time, every single foreign visitor had to pass through the full immigration check - and there were only a handful of immigration officers present - literally 5 or 6. This meant queues of literally 2 plus hours minimum. I was one off the first off the plane and it took me two hours ten minutes. Others will have waited for 3+ hours It was shambolic and awful. I used to be suspicious of the horror stories about this airport - my past experiences have largely been ok - but this time, awful. Just awful.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"I have never seen anything quite as slow"

As a frequent Flyer I have never seen anything quite as slow as the customs line in Miami, I had an easy 2 hour layover late at night to catch the last flight to Phoenix and missed it. From the line attendants having absolutely no clue where to queue a line and when agents take breaks to gigantic lines with not enough workers to suitably help passengers through. Another large problem is that airport workers are not instructed to be helpful in anyway, as twice I showed my boarding time to agents working the lines and nothing was done about it. I'm sure if they had to wait 14 hours themselves, they would've put in an effort. An old out of date airport, with few amenities isn't pretty but works, however this is not the case in Miami.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"it was like stepping back in time"

Verified Review | Miami is a very large and old airport. This place looks so dingy and old, it was like stepping back in time! I travel worldwide and it was one of the worst airports I have seen. Flew Iberia out of the E wing. Once you go past security there is very little in the way of food options or shops. It consisted of Pizza Hut, a small beer place, and two freestanding snack stands. That was it. When I got out to the actual gate, there was nothing. There were a few "stores" but they weren't open and I don't know if they are even functional. It was for a 5.30pm flight which ended up being delayed. There were bathrooms, and seating, but nothing else. Everything was closed up. There were 4 different gates where I was. There was a business class lounge not too far for Iberia business passengers, or American Airlines. At this area they did have a duty free shop which was small. The waiting area was fairly clean and the seats were comfortable enough. You have 30 minutes of free wifi after that you have to pay for it. I was early for my flight so the line to go through security and waiting to check in were not long. I had to take a short train to get out to the gates. This airport is serious need of an overhaul. It looks like the 1960's. The buses are in one area on the lower level. Depends on the airline you fly which terminal you are out of.

"everything is disorganized"

Verified Review | Both today and our arrival two weeks ago were horrible experiences in this airport. It is poorly laid out. It is old. It is slow. Everything is disorganized. Having to change planes and go back through security is asinine. Absolutely nobody at any point in time was kind or helpful from American Airlines to security to asking for help from airport staff. Not one person said hello or even cracked a smile. Upon landing in Tampa, we had the exact opposite experience which just reinforced just how bad Miami is. I will do everything I can to never return!
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"everything moved pretty quickly"

Verified Review | I have only ever connected through Miami, so I can't speak to check in, etc. But our connections have always been on international flights, so we have gone through customs and immigration. We have gone through early morning (6:30 am), so my experience may not be typical, but we had no issues. Everything moved pretty quickly. We actually had a 7 hour layover (thanks, American Airlines!) so we had plenty of time to wander and not be rushed. Overall, I think the signage was good, and the one staff member we asked a question was polite and gave us good directions. We ate at the Irish pub in the American Airlines section of the terminal. The food was good and reasonably priced for an airport restaurant. I know many people have had bad experiences at this airport, but ours was pretty positive.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"endless lines and frustration"

Verified Review | Miami is an awful airport. Anytime I travel through it something goes wrong. Endless lines and frustration for travelers. So dirty, seats are the least comfortable and do not allow lying down. Food and shopping options are not attractive at all and on top of everything, WiFi is not even available for more than 30mins. Avoid if you have the option.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"deplaning to jumping into a taxi took us about 30 minutes"

Verified Review | I transited MIA on my way to St Maarten and arrived and departed on my way back to London. My first arrival was at 4pm from an international flight. The queue for APC machines was very long and a staff member directed us to the immigration desks, the queues here also looked horrendous, a helpful staff member asked if anyone had connections which said yes and she gave us a fast track orange voucher which enabled us jump the queue (our connection time was 2 hours). We had only carry ons so had no bags to collect, but had to go through security again, which was slow considering the queues were not long. From deplaning to clearing immigration and security took about an hour thanks to fast track voucher. As we were traveling business class we went to to business lounge rather than use any of the dining outlets. We arrived at MIA again a few days later. Our arrival time was 7pm and immigration was much quieter, the APC machines had no queue, but was so badly organised we opted to use the immigration desks instead and we were seen to very quickly. From deplaning to jumping into a taxi took us about 30 minutes.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"previous experiences have also been positive"

This was a noon departure for an Air Canada flight from Miami to Toronto when the airport was less busy. Because of a misunderstanding on my part regarding carry-on baggage regulations a problem arose which could not be corrected at the security checkpoint. A security supervisor made several suggestions which, unfortunately, could not be implemented without financial expenditures on my part. The security supervisor then accompanied me to the Air Canada check-in counter where, after some discussion with the Air Canada supervisor, a solution was reached that satisfied Air Canada, the United States Border Security personnel, and me, the passenger. My previous experiences at Miami International Airport have also been positive.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"What a difference 10 years makes"

Got a great deal from BA saving over £500 for three people so decided to fly into Miami. Last time we did this was in 2006 and it wasn't a great experience with a lot of building work, long immigration queues, offsite car hire, etc. So I was extremely apprehensive. What a difference 10 years makes. We were off of the plane and into a very small queue for the automated machines (not sure what they are called) but there was at least 20 of them so the queue moved quickly, five minutes at most. Once that was done (another five minutes) we were directed to the manual booths because our daughter had just changed her passport. There was no queue whatsoever. Another five minutes of her having her fingerprints done and photo taken and we were off to baggage collection where we waited for 30 minutes for our bags to arrive. A ten minute walk to the train / shuttle which takes you to the car hire / transportation hub where again there were very short lines. I think two people were in front of us. My guess is we were off the plane, through immigration and in the parking garage in just over an hour tops. Amazing. Having read about Orlando I have to say that I think I'd prefer to do this again and then spend four hours driving up than be stuck for hours at MCO being shouted at. The only reason I'm not giving this 10/10 is because there is another airport in Florida that gets you through even quicker and I'm worried that everyone is going to figure it out and fly there instead. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to know which one I'm talking about.
Date VisitOctober 2016