Vote Now

Mexico City Airport

"staff overall were very unhelpful"

Verified Review | Worst airport experience yet. Using for transit only, supposedly checked through to final destination. However in Mexico City it seems this means you need to collect your luggage and transfer it, passing through immigration (took 2 hours) and security again. Half of the immigration desks were unmanned, queuing was like a rugby scrum with no order at all, people at the back of the queue cleared immigration before people at the front. Trolleys only accept Mexican peso or USD, not very helpful if you are transitting and have neither currency, no money exchange either. We were travelling with two large bicycle boxes, which are impossible to transport for long distances without a trolley, there was no leniency from staff or any offer of help. Staff overall were very unhelpful, even though we speak Spanish, we were sent all over the airport unnecessarily. Mexico City airport also has different packaging requirements when flying with boxes, they must be wrapped at a cost of at least 25 usd. Not a pleasant experience.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"not much time for food"

Customs was a remarkable hour wait and once cleared on paperwork I retrieved luggage and passed thru a second check and off to handler to check for next flight. Left there and up escalator to a screening area for carry-ons. Hopefully line will be minimal and after check you are in terminal. Not much time for food, restroom, or even a Starbucks. Onto gate, board in right group #, and onto flight. This can be done in an hour and a half.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"A total lack of regard for property or time"

Verified Review | Arriving from Santiago, Chile on route to the US all passengers from domestic and international flights, regardless of intention to stay or transit are herded through the 2 hour immigration cattle line. The line was backed up the stairs in two different hallways as more and more disembarking passengers filled the hallways. Women with crying babies are lined up and squeezed into poorly ventilated internal section of the airport with open bathrooms (no doors, stalls visible from the hall), flight crews and wheelchair passengers are lined up for hours while airport employees are giggling and laughing amongst each other while sliding on the newly polished floor. Requests for help are met with shrugged shoulders faining the "no abla englise" look while you are motioned that it doesn’t matter if you're international connection or not. Apparently the only reason is to show how many passengers are force "visiting" Mexico. By the way even if "Mexico" is not your final destination, they still want you to fill our immigration forms which duplicate exactly what is in your passport. To prove a point I scribbled gibberish on the form and the nice immigration lady took it anyway. Now that you're outside of the international terminal and have to go back reclaim your luggage and re submit it (about 20 minutes) you have to exit that section of the airport and re-enter as a new traveler with a full carry on luggage check. As I had bought a couple of bottles of wine from Duty free shop in Santiago, "Mexican" authorities challenge the bottles and am forced to relinquish them at the security check to my international connection. The whole airport seems to be a government work program with what appears to be family members in positions by patronage. Some very young looking "employees" were simply counting passengers using the old fairground thumb ticker counter. Never will I nor my family ever visit nor transit through this airport again. A total lack of regard for property or time.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"would rank way down the list of airports for me"

I came down on a flight from Vancouver. Unfortunately I had hours in this airport as I had a connecting flight. I have to fly back tomorrow then leave for MGA then go through the process again in March. Landing. Immigration was actually very fast. Speak some Spanish to them, I got a smile. Luggage was actually quite fast. Next step after luggage check, you take it to the collection area. The belt broke down and you had to go upstairs and another line. Finally was out in the terminal. Process was under an hour. Terminal is freezing. 2 levels. Seating on both but more cement blockish downstairs. You do not go to your gate until it flashes on the screen. Not a lot of bathrooms and lineups at times. Not a lot of food options, lots of stores. This would rank way down the list of airports for me. Not sure about Term 1.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"one place to avoid"

Verified Review | Mexico City Airport is one place to avoid if you are transiting through. As with most airports, your luggage is tagged from the start of your journey right through to the end of your journey. Not with Aeromexico or Mexico City Airport,. We had to collect our luggage and through a maze of buildings, badly signposted, find our way back to the check-in area. Your bag then needs to be redirected to a different baggage handling area for transit passengers. We went through 2 sets of baggage scanning procedures. They confiscated many small items from our toiletries bag. Tweezers, nail clippers (no file attached) to which we were already aware was not to the international standard of confiscation. Once we cleared these checkpoints, we were not able to visit an array of shops on our way to the boarding area. And to our surprise, we could purchase all the things that they had taken from us in the baggage scanning area. Now you ask me if that makes any sense at all! I will never fly through Mexico City nor fly on any Mexican Airline again. Who needs the unnecessary hassle!
Date VisitNovember 2016

"Clean, good signage"

Arrived at Mexico City Airport for the first leg of my journey. Waited 45 minutes to get through passport control and collected my luggage almost immediately. Pressed the button and it went red. 1 cursory search later and I was through. 7 days later I was back for a domestic flight. No queue at security, lots of places to eat. Expensive food for Mexico but cheap compared to the UK. Clean, good signage, helpful staff. So much better than Heathrow. Duty Free closed by order of the Tax Authority. Phone charging stations courtesy of Samsung and plenty of free if slow wifi if you are prepared to wander around.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"I had a pleasant surprise"

(Costa Rica)

Verified Review | I had transited via Mexico City some years before and was not looking forward to a repeat, remembering the confusing signage, poor seating and general disorganisation. I had a pleasant surprise - there were vast queues for immigration on the outward leg of my journey from Costa Rica to the UK, I was offered assistance and a wheelchair by staff on the lookout for people with difficulties. Terminal 2 was clean with plenty of seating, signage was good, destination boards likewise and the staff I encountered were helpful and pleasant. There were plenty of places to buy food and drink at reasonable prices and I found a jolly good restaurant which served both snacks and full meals as I wasn't in the mood for pizzas or salads. It is a nuisance to have to collect the baggage and pass customs when in transit, but there are plenty of porters if you need assistance and, as I say, the staff are pleasant and helpful. The only oddity was that the duty free shops had been closed by order of the tax authorities.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"US$4 for a small bottle of water"

Aeromexico would have been a terrific airline if not for the Mexico City Airport. The airport needs a clear multi-lingual automated announcement system as the live English announcements can be difficult to understand. They need more elevators, escalators between the floors and wheel-chair access points throughout the airport. It is very hard to run from one side of the terminal to another if the gate change announcement comes very close to the departure time. Finally my jaw dropped when I was charged about US$4 for a small bottle of water at one of the airport's eateries. Airport food is always expensive wherever one goes, but we are talking here about water not food or wine.
Date VisitJune 2016

"can only be described as a zoo"

We fly to Mexico from Toronto several times a year as we spend the winter in Manzanillo. Recently we decided to use Aeromexico instead of Air Canada so as to have to deal with only one terminal namely T2. The washrooms near the infamous gates 73 and 74, which can only be described as a zoo, are unbelievably decrepit and filthy. There are three male toilets for hundreds of people, and there is always a line. The single disabled toilet had a broken toilet seat both times we passed through in the past 10 days. One of us is disabled and needs wheelchair assistance, which as it happens is very helpful in avoiding some of the transit problems, and the attendants are very attentive, though a good tip (justified) is clearly expected. You still have to get on one of those lurching buses out to your aircraft on the tarmac to climb the stairs to your plane, as there is a severe shortage of closed ramps. If you arrive on a domestic flight, after having cleared security, you are again crowded into a line-up to have your carry on baggage screened once more, and to pass through a scanner, before being allowed into the T2 waiting area for your ongoing domestic flight. Why? I think the terminal is a disgrace for the country, looking run down already, even when so new. We have no choice now that Aeromexico has no competition really on domestic flights.
Date VisitApril 2016

"experience stressful and slow"

I have traveled via Mexico City several times and have always found the experience stressful and slow. Starting from the time you deplane to your exit. Overall I find staff unable to provide accurate information as far as connecting flights, ground transportation and many other traveler information. Passport control and customs on a good day is mediocore. Officials are rude and slow. Luggage takes forever to come out. Mexico City is a destination with so much to offer to visitors, pity it has such a poor airport to welcome people from abroad.
Date VisitMarch 2016