Mauritius Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th March 2015

Perfectly acceptable staff friendly and welcoming at Immigration and Health desks baggage on the carousel by the time we got through even if one of our bags was just about the last off the aircraft that is just the luck of the draw. From touch-down (A380 ex Dubai) to exit took about 50 minutes which is not bad given the number of passengers arriving. I have seen many worse. On departure queues were building up at the desks but all appeared to flow fairly quickly. Security staff perfectly pleasant and quite quick so no hassle pricey drinks in bar but no problem finding a seat. Lot more shopping opportunities than in the old airport pricier too! Boarding also went smoothly. All in all satisfactory reasonably comfortable and evidently well managed and trained staff.

Review by (South Africa) 27th July 2014

I am a student here in Mauritius and every time I leave my home South Africa to come back to Mauritius I receive the same inhospitable and nasty attitude from the passport control office. My pen gave up on me so I was unable to fill that yellow form when I asked the clerk if I may borrow the pen in his pocket for just two minutes he point blankly refused and rudely told me to go to another clerk. The other clerk was none the better as he very sarcastically asked me all the personal questions about where I study etc. Due to this I was delayed and got my bags late and almost missed my ride back home. At least in the South African airports people are more welcoming!

Review by (Mauritius) 1st May 2014

All of the reviews I read are now quite old as a brand new terminal opened late 2013. Located right next to the older one it is now much larger and actually not completely used (you notice this on arrival). I use it almost every month for regional and intercontinental flights. As I live in Mauritius I usually park my car there and for a trip exceeding 4 days it is better to "lose" the car park ticket as the penalty for lost ticket is cheaper. Safe enough with cameras no worries. You can now drop off people without paying entrance (less than 20 minutes stay). Same for cabs who come and fetch you but because of that are waiting outside of the terminal car park to avoid paying parking. Checking in is a breeze if you hold a frequent flyer card as you can use business class counters. Even though it is usually not a pain at all as many counters are opened for any departing flight. Same for immigration with polite and efficient officers (now in police uniform). The departing lounge is wide enough with sufficient seating even when several flights depart at around the same time to Europe India or Dubai in the evening. There is a well appointed duty free but pricing keeps increasing and I believe is rather run for maximum margin rather than actual duty free (the company running it is a large one by local standards). The business lounge is obviously much better than before with newspapers/ magazines a fine selection of drinks but not so much on food. There is a free wifi working throughout the airport and working well each time I used it. The staff are professional. The Emirates A380 now flies daily to Plaisance airport no issues in handling this aircraft. On arrival it is now less likely that you need to take an airport bus (except for ATR72 flights) and the immigration process is again fast with the majority of booths manned by police officers. Yes there is another check right after that for health screening this is due to the country ongoing check for malaria. There is a smaller duty free on arrival popular with Mauritian returning home. You will get you luggage fast and going through the airport shouldn't take more than about half an hour unless you're on a flight that customs officers like to check more extensively.

Review by (Germany) 3rd December 2012

Arrival in the afternoon with bus-transfer to the terminal. Quick and friendly immigration staff. Short waiting time for luggage and easy way out. Departure in a small overcrowded Terminal. Only 2 or 3 counters per airline. But then a very quick security check and short ways - because of only 4 gates. A few shops one duty- free one so-called restaurant. Poor seating possibilities approx. 200 places with three bigger planes 747 (to CDG) 767 (to LGW) and 767 (to DXB) no space for passengers! In future EK plans to fly in with the A380.

Review by (Australia) 2nd October 2012

Recently I transited SSR (Plaissance) twice on my way from/to Australia and Reunion. The airport is small and quite functional but will quickly develop 'growing pains' as air traffic volumes grow. With just three 'wide bodied' flights leaving within 45 minutes of each other on my recent return transit the departures area was absolutely choked with people. The facilities simply can't cope with too many flights at once. When quieter its fine and comfortable enough. One real plus is (for those travelling between MRU and Reunion) is that seat allocation and boarding passes are ready to go as soon as you approach the transit desk which I thought was very efficient and to be commended.

Review by (United Kingdom) 7th September 2012

We flew into Mauritius by Emirates. This is a small passenger friendly airport. Though the walk to the arrivals and immigration was a long one the immigration process was quick and efficient. The baggage delivery area was bright with plenty of trolleys. There is a duty free both in arrival and departure areas. The exit from the airport is smooth. We flew by Air Mauritius to Anantanarivo the check in area was efficient and quick once in the departure lounge there is plenty of seating available the toilets were clean. Overall a pleasant experience.

Review by (United Kingdom) 21st November 2011

Business class lounge very small and crowded. Paid a premium to use the lounge only to have to stand as there was no seats. Food very limited on choice and quite bland. Drinks were ok. Tried to use computers in lounge but took over 5 minutes just to load 1 page. Gave up and tried to use wifi but that was not much quicker either. Worst lounge I have been in.

Review by (United Kingdom) 10th September 2011

I was travelling back to UK I was 20 weeks pregnant at the time. I made the person at security aware that I am pregnant and was not happy to go through the scan part of the search and I requested a body search. The person on the security refused blankly and reassured me that there is no other way I could go through the security without the scan. I had no choice but to walk through the scan even though outbound to Mauritius in UK airport I didn't go through the scan and had a body search instead without any problem. I believe that the people working at the airport do not have a clue of what they are doing. I am cross I didn't persist not to go through the scan and asked to see a senior staff member.

Review by (United Kingdom) 9th April 2011

Arrived at 0935 local from DXB. Took about 30 mins to get through passport control but we caught the tail end of a flight from India so I guess things backed up slightly. All the counters were open too. Luggage was waiting on the carousel so the delay in passport control helped with the luggage wait. Painless hire car pick up. Departed 3rd April. Hire car drop off slightly more fraught as it was getting dark 1830 local. Lots of passengers in check in. Helpful staff at entrance directing the hordes to the appropriate check in desks. Indifferent check in person at Emirates First class and the Business lounge was 'quaint' shall we say.

Review by 24th July 2008

Arriving from Paris in first class took 15 minutes to clear the airport. Leaving was another matter - airport being too small lots of queuing at economy check in as the airport gets busy for the London Paris and Dubai flights of Saturday evening. MK lounge is nice with newspapers food and beverages. Boarding can be horrendous on economy - duty free shop has a nice variety of good the selection at the coffee shop is too basic needs to be improved.