Airline of the Year

Mauritius Airport

"let down by the staff"

(Mauritius)

Verified Review | Mauritius Airport is fairly well appointed. Food and beverage options are not great. Usually enough seating. Duty free is expensive by most airports standards. Priority baggage does not come out on the baggage carousel first. No pharmacy in the airport. The airport is let down by the staff. Surly and unwelcoming passport control staff and aggressive customs officers on arrival make the whole experience more than a little unpleasant.
Date VisitApril 2017

"utter chaos at this airport"

Verified Review | Utter chaos at this airport, after a long queue for check in we were then subjected to over an hours wait at Passport Control. Two queues wiith limited personnel dealing with customers, no urgency and no apologies. Dreadful facilities, coffee shops with rude assistants selling over priced and barely edible food. Overall one of the worst airports we have experienced.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"worst in terms of inefficiency"

(Réunion)

Mauritius is certainly one of the worst airports ever in terms of inefficiency. I've seen worse but they do not pretend to be a 5-star tourist destination or a gateway between Asia and Africa. Transiting passengers had to join a long queue for transfer formalities while we, like most passengers already had our boarding passes for our onward flights. Worse was we had to line up again and fill in arrival cards for immigration inspection. Since when do transit passengers have to fill in arrival cards? While checking in for our first flight we were given arrival cards. When I said that we were only in transit in Mauritius I was told that we might be asked for arrival cards that day as Mauritius immigration is overstaffed. I took it as a joke but how true.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"process was quick"

Arrived with a bit of trepidation having read some poor reviews. Needn't have worried. Arrivals hall was clean. new looking building, very spacious and with about 8 immigration desks manned. Process was quick and staff friendly. Similar experience on departure. I used the Mauritius Air lounge which was among the best I've ever been in with better food on offer than in many restaurants. Well done Mauritius, your airport is a credit to you.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"is fairly functional"

A decent medium sized airport. Arrivals leads you through many floors to a baggage hall, but is fairly functional. The arrival concourse has plenty of taxi and hotel counters if need be. Departures is a simpler, one-floor affair with a decent duty free shop and some overpriced cafes and boutiques. Airport is clean, efficient and has good wifi. Can be a bit noisy at peak hours, though.
Date VisitMay 2015

"very functional"

Mauritius Airport is not a very large airport, but very functional. Considering the economical position and the size of the island, I think they are doing very well. The airport is nicely decorated with a waterfall. The queue times were okay, and immigration officers were polite. Airport employees were very friendly.
Date VisitDecember 2015

Mauritius Airport customer review

A 90 minute queue at immigration with elderly people and children. No explanation or apology. 3 desks staffed but two knocking off and not replaced for 20 minutes. A senior officer stood back and watched for the whole time and did nothing. Surly and unpleasant officer when we finally got to the desk. If this is the welcome to Mauritius I won't be visiting again. I thought they needed tourists. Similar attitude by the officer on departure although no long wait.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Mauritius Airport customer review

A 90 minute queue at immigration. No explanation or apology. 3 desks staffed but two knocking off and not replaced for 20 minutes. A senior officer stood back and watched for the whole time and did nothing. Surly and unpleasant officer when we finally got to the desk. If this is the welcome to Mauritius I won't be visiting again. I thought they needed tourists. Similar attitude by the officer on departure although no long wait.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Mauritius Airport customer review

Perfectly acceptable staff friendly and welcoming at Immigration and Health desks baggage on the carousel by the time we got through even if one of our bags was just about the last off the aircraft that is just the luck of the draw. From touch-down (A380 ex Dubai) to exit took about 50 minutes which is not bad given the number of passengers arriving. I have seen many worse. On departure queues were building up at the desks but all appeared to flow fairly quickly. Security staff perfectly pleasant and quite quick so no hassle pricey drinks in bar but no problem finding a seat. Lot more shopping opportunities than in the old airport pricier too! Boarding also went smoothly. All in all satisfactory reasonably comfortable and evidently well managed and trained staff.

(South Africa)

I am a student here in Mauritius and every time I leave my home South Africa to come back to Mauritius I receive the same inhospitable and nasty attitude from the passport control office. My pen gave up on me so I was unable to fill that yellow form when I asked the clerk if I may borrow the pen in his pocket for just two minutes he point blankly refused and rudely told me to go to another clerk. The other clerk was none the better as he very sarcastically asked me all the personal questions about where I study etc. Due to this I was delayed and got my bags late and almost missed my ride back home. At least in the South African airports people are more welcoming!