Airline of the Year

Marrakech Airport

"stressful, inefficient"

Verified Review | Marrakech Airport is stressful, inefficient and I do not recommend. When we arrived for our easyJet flight we were told that we had to check in our hand luggage because we were the last to arrive even though it was exactly 2 hours before our flight. The staff behind the desk were practically arguing with me saying we were late. I said I traveled with hand luggage due to the flight times as I wanted to catch the last train home. When we asked how many people were left to check in they said 40! So they clearly lied. When we got on the plane the overhead cabins were empty. We then went through 100 checks of our passport. First was to queue to get our passport checked. The staff didn't even talk to us he just pointed to the landing card station where he wanted us to fill out a landing card. There were no pens made available of course. When he checked our passports we then had them checked again at the beginning of a queue in direct eyesight of the staff who just checked them. We then queued for 15 minutes to have them checked again. The queue took so long because they all had a nice chat to each customer causing further delays moving at a glacial pace. Once that check was done our passports were then checked again to see there was a stamp in the book. Again, in direct eyesight of the desk staff! Absolutely ridiculous. The selection of shops was limited to very high end. The selection of food was limited to sandwiches and cakes that had been left out all day and were very dry. There was one restaurant we could get fresh food in that had the worst service. It's a shame because the airport is absolutely beautiful and modern so you expect a certain level of service but the expectation is certainly not met. I won't be going back to Marrakech. They have ensured their economy will not be benefiting from my money again.
Date VisitApril 2017

"security was awful"

Verified Review | Security was awful. They made me check a bag because it contained a small wooden flute. I have flown with guitars, wooden and metal percussion instruments dozens of times without issue. People fly with golf clubs! Belts are more dangerous. This cost me 50 euro and an hour and a half. Security were laughing at me when I expressed discontent. I will take the boat from Spain if I come back. They will not get more business from me.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"caused us so much unnecessary stress"

Verified Review | Travelling to Manchester on the 14th February 2017 via easyJet using the the new terminal 3 was a nightmare and caused us so much unnecessary stress. They spend how many millions on the new terminal in Marrakech, but next to nothing on staffing and certainly none on the supervision of staff, to ease the flow of people through the new terminal to the gates. One very inept person was 'in charge' of the flow of hundreds of people in the very disorganised labyrinth of tapes that should normally ensure smooth flow, but did anything but! The congestion was appalling and many irate clients were taking the law into their own hands and queue jumping so they could catch their planes. And why oh why in the age of computers and digital passports, do the checkpoint admin staff still have to handwrite the data from exit cards down. It's a disgrace. These people (invariably grumpy men) are at best ignorant and at worst just plain rude and unhelpful. Passengers are treated so badly and staff have no clue about customer service. They all need training in customer support and relations. The few staff that were on duty didn't have a clue. We had no time to shop or eat and made the gate with just 10 mins before closure. Even after speedy boarding were allowed to move out towards the plane we were stopped to allow incoming passengers from another flight to cross before us into arrivals which was just 20 meters from departures. Where is the security in that. Anyone could have passed anything to anyone or even jumped a queue either way. Then we had to wait for a bus to drive us about 100 meters which we all could easily have walked quicker, the reason given 'security'. This bus moved off after about 10 mins only to pull up in 20 meters 'access denied, because there were other vehicles servicing the plane.' Total chaos! I will avoid Marakech airport like the plague for a few years until and unless things improve dramatically and new systems function properly.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"all very comfortable"

Verified Review | Had an early morning flight from Marrakech to Barcelona. Very smooth check-in in the old section of the airport. Went through passport control very quickly and without any problems. The new airport has opened for all arrivals and departures and is a short walk which is well sign posted from the old section. It has shops, cafes and adequate seating. All very comfortable.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"gets better every time"

I cannot speak highly enough of Marrakech airport. I have travelled here for the past 5 years and it gets better every time. I realise this is a relatively small airport compared to Gatwick, but the staff there could take lessons from the organisation and customer service. After experiencing the chaos of getting to and through departure in Gatwick, Marrakech was such a good experience. Upon leaving, I found the security to be first class, nobody is allowed inside the airport now without first having their bags scanned, and I showed my passport about 3 times before even reaching passport control. The airport is spotlessly clean, so well organised and the staff are helpful and pleasant. I had no problems whatsoever in this airport. Well done to Marrakech for customer service and organisation. The only minus was that it's not obvious boarding passes have to be stamped at the check-in desk before going through to departures when only cabin bags are being taken, but this is insignificant in the scheme of things. I use a walking stick due to problems with my spine, and was shown to a shorter queue at passport control when the stick was noticed, I wish I could say the same for Gatwick, where I felt at a disadvantage due to my disability.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"a terrible experience"

(Hong Kong)

Marrakech Airport was a terrible experience. On the positive note Marrakech airport was actually quite modern. The check in was quite slow. Here comes the worst part: I then went to the immigration hall. There were at least 100 people in there cramped while lining up for immigration. We lined up for more than 1 and a half and hours. Finally we were at the immigration checking counter. The passport check took a whole half an hour.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"could not be more grateful"

We could not be more grateful to staff at this airport. The security guard helped us when we were waiting at the terminal and we realised we had lost a mobile phone. He led us back to the entrance and spoke to our taxi driver and back again with the phone with minimal fuss. I don't think that would be allowed in the UK.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"an extremely pleasant trip"

Having read the reviews on Marrakech airport I must admit I was dreading the experience but I had absolutely no issues whatsoever. Having read what to expect certainly made me more of aware of what was required - form filling, taking own pen etc. We were given cards to complete by BA during our flight so we could complete prior to arriving in Marrakech. Those of us with with brains completed them on our 3 hour 15 minute flight, those with no brains were trying to complete whilst walking on the tarmac towards the terminal or once inside. We were lucky that no other flight had arrived at same time, so from the minute we landed to sitting in our hotel room in the Gueliz part of Marrakech took 40 minutes. Straight through passport control and security, no issues with queues or unhelpful members of staff. On our return, our flight was delayed by 90 minutes and were already at the airport 3 hours prior to our original flight time so had plenty of time to kill. Agree that signs are not clear at this airport, but saw a stand with the forms which need completing prior to dropping off our bags, there are some before going through security also. Even though we were there early were able to drop our bags off immediately (and were amongst the first off belt at Gatwick). We went through security - no queues, no issues at passport control other than people delaying matters by not completing the forms before arriving at the kiosks. Once through, pleasantly surprised at shops and cafes available in departures, though frustrating you have to use euros and not any left over dirhams you have. Having been ripped off in various airports in Turkey, thought the food and drink prices were extremely reasonable. Free wifi was available, though for a limited amount of time. OK, so security and passport control not the most smiley people on the planet, though when are they? So, after all the worry and scary reviews from others, actually had an extremely pleasant trip via Menara Airport.
Date VisitJune 2016

"customer service does not exist"

A beautiful building but a train-wreck inside. Customer service does not exist. No sign-posting. You need to write out a boarding form. This isn't clear whatsoever. Luckily we saw others with them and scoped them out. No ticket printing facilities. In the past, I have had to print my boarding pass short notice at an airport for 2-5 euros. We couldn't find an internet cafe beforehand and decided to pay the extra cost to print them at the airport. 36 euros to write out two boarding passes (incorrectly) and two long queues. We were sent to this queue and that. Back and fourth for an hour. No help, just staff behind desks refusing to deal with us until we paid 15 euros each. I would never travel through Marrakesh airport again. We were treated with no respect or decency by staff so other travellers beware.
Date VisitJune 2016

"unhelpful and rude"

Not the clearest airport to get around. Documents require stamping before going through to security which is not clear at all, especially to those pre-checked in online, traveling with hand luggage only who normally would not need to visit the check-in desk. At no point on our way through to passport control did we find any cards to fill out for passport control, and once we got there (without cards) the man behind the window was deliberately unhelpful and rude, refusing to give us cards despite there being a pack right in front of him, and also refusing to tell us where we could locate pens. When we eventually found cards and pens, thanks to helpful tourists rather than airport staff, the same man was serving my friend through passport control. He deliberately took his time letting him through, stopping to chat and joke with the other man in the booth. Absolutely awful behaviour from an airport staff member. Also, WIFI is not free which is incredibly unhelpful.
Date VisitMarch 2016