Marrakech Airport

"no problems whatsoever"

Unverified | After reading so many negative reports on this airport I just wanted to say that my wife and I flew in and out during September with no problems whatsoever. The check in staff at easyJet could not have done more and were polite and efficient as were the security and immigration staff. Prices are a bit steep but that seems to be all airports, the only downside was trying to spend remaining Dirhams airside, it seems that prices are made up on the spot.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"a vast improvement on last year"

I really wasn't looking forward to re-visiting Marrakech airport after our experience last time but my partner talked me into going to Morocco again and I couldn't have been any more happy! The difference this year was superb. My partner uses a wheelchair and we had excellent service from the airport assistance team. We knew we had to fill in a form to enter not a problem, the guy assisting us gave us extra for our return journey. Once that was done we literally sailed through the airport, even the security guards were pleasant to us. I found it helped if you spoke to them in French (please, thank you etc). The assistance guy helped find our transfer coach for us. On the return journey it was just as straightforward, I got searched but it wasn't unpleasant (especially after reading about other people's experiences). The departure lounge was busy but coped well. All in all a vast improvement on last year.
Date VisitMay 2017

"by far, the worst airport experience"

My latest trip took me to 5 different airports, including Marrakech. All airports have their ups and downs, but Marrakech was, by far, the worst airport experience I've ever had. Arrival: The airport is beautiful, and most of the arrival process went smoothly. However, when we presented a $50 bill to be changed into dirham, we were told that our money was too old. As we looked for another bill, the attendant became annoyed (even though no one else was in line) and told us we could change bills at another kiosk just beyond Customs. She lied to get rid of us; no other kiosks existed outside of that area. Departure: We arrived over 3 hours early for our flight, and barely made it to boarding on time. Luckily, our flight arrived late. We had been puzzled when the proprietor at our riad had told us that 3 hours might be enough, but we were about to find out why he said that. You begin by going through security before you walk through the front door. This means that you wait in a long line outside the airport, and undergo a passport check and bag x-ray before you're allowed access. Next comes the line for bag drop, where they will direct you to another line to get permission to get boarding passes before coming back to the original line, again. The rep at the boarding pass counter was not only the worst airline employee I've ever encountered, but possibly the worst person I've ever encountered. She berated us (and everyone else who approached her), called me a liar several times, and finally refused to help at all. It seemed that she regarded all customers as opponents in a battle. After over 20 minutes, another employee came to the window and helped. Next is the line to change over your money, which the law requires you to do. The rep wouldn't change ours, telling us we didn't have enough left and insisting we spend it in the airport. Next, you get to wait in a huge line to get your passports checked. We waited 20 minutes, but it could have been much worse. Next is the line to go through a security check and bag x-ray again. The only plus side is that they don't use the full-body scanners, but that is replaced with the most personal public pat-down you will ever receive. Next up on the agenda is to fill out departure forms before you are allowed through the next checkpoint. Think you're done, now? Nope! One more passport checkpoint before you get to sprint to your flight. Let's play "count the lines": security, bag drop, boarding pass payment, bag drop again, money exchange, passport control, security again, forms, passport check again - a grand total of nine. To be fair, this was my first experience with an airport in Morocco. I have no idea if this convoluted system is in place everywhere, but I would most definitely rather try taking public transport to Casablanca for departure.
Date VisitMay 2017

"even followed me onto the plane"

Verified Review | Firstly, I’m in a wheelchair, and require the special assistance services at airports if steps need to be climbed / descended. We arrived in Marrakech airport, and was met by the service assistant (smiling all time with moustache) who continually kept telling me about how good he was, and gave us his number to call so he could meet us on our departure. Really wasn’t bothered on meeting him again, but he had to take me from A3 (EasyJet to Manchester 01/06/17) on the ground to the plane. Still all the same chat about how good he was, even followed me onto the plane. Then when I was sat in the window seat, he said to my wife, ‘I want a tip for my young colleague who met you at the EasyJet desk.’ A likely story, but my wife gave him a £5 English note to get rid of him. Maybe someone in Marrakech airport should put a stop to this, as it is bad enough I can’t walk but to be ‘accosted’ for money for the service he is paid for is disgusting.
Date VisitJune 2017

"stressful, inefficient"

Verified Review | Marrakech Airport is stressful, inefficient and I do not recommend. When we arrived for our easyJet flight we were told that we had to check in our hand luggage because we were the last to arrive even though it was exactly 2 hours before our flight. The staff behind the desk were practically arguing with me saying we were late. I said I traveled with hand luggage due to the flight times as I wanted to catch the last train home. When we asked how many people were left to check in they said 40! So they clearly lied. When we got on the plane the overhead cabins were empty. We then went through 100 checks of our passport. First was to queue to get our passport checked. The staff didn't even talk to us he just pointed to the landing card station where he wanted us to fill out a landing card. There were no pens made available of course. When he checked our passports we then had them checked again at the beginning of a queue in direct eyesight of the staff who just checked them. We then queued for 15 minutes to have them checked again. The queue took so long because they all had a nice chat to each customer causing further delays moving at a glacial pace. Once that check was done our passports were then checked again to see there was a stamp in the book. Again, in direct eyesight of the desk staff! Absolutely ridiculous. The selection of shops was limited to very high end. The selection of food was limited to sandwiches and cakes that had been left out all day and were very dry. There was one restaurant we could get fresh food in that had the worst service. It's a shame because the airport is absolutely beautiful and modern so you expect a certain level of service but the expectation is certainly not met. I won't be going back to Marrakech. They have ensured their economy will not be benefiting from my money again.
Date VisitApril 2017

"security was awful"

Verified Review | Security was awful. They made me check a bag because it contained a small wooden flute. I have flown with guitars, wooden and metal percussion instruments dozens of times without issue. People fly with golf clubs! Belts are more dangerous. This cost me 50 euro and an hour and a half. Security were laughing at me when I expressed discontent. I will take the boat from Spain if I come back. They will not get more business from me.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"caused us so much unnecessary stress"

Verified Review | Travelling to Manchester on the 14th February 2017 via easyJet using the the new terminal 3 was a nightmare and caused us so much unnecessary stress. They spend how many millions on the new terminal in Marrakech, but next to nothing on staffing and certainly none on the supervision of staff, to ease the flow of people through the new terminal to the gates. One very inept person was 'in charge' of the flow of hundreds of people in the very disorganised labyrinth of tapes that should normally ensure smooth flow, but did anything but! The congestion was appalling and many irate clients were taking the law into their own hands and queue jumping so they could catch their planes. And why oh why in the age of computers and digital passports, do the checkpoint admin staff still have to handwrite the data from exit cards down. It's a disgrace. These people (invariably grumpy men) are at best ignorant and at worst just plain rude and unhelpful. Passengers are treated so badly and staff have no clue about customer service. They all need training in customer support and relations. The few staff that were on duty didn't have a clue. We had no time to shop or eat and made the gate with just 10 mins before closure. Even after speedy boarding were allowed to move out towards the plane we were stopped to allow incoming passengers from another flight to cross before us into arrivals which was just 20 meters from departures. Where is the security in that. Anyone could have passed anything to anyone or even jumped a queue either way. Then we had to wait for a bus to drive us about 100 meters which we all could easily have walked quicker, the reason given 'security'. This bus moved off after about 10 mins only to pull up in 20 meters 'access denied, because there were other vehicles servicing the plane.' Total chaos! I will avoid Marakech airport like the plague for a few years until and unless things improve dramatically and new systems function properly.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"all very comfortable"

Verified Review | Had an early morning flight from Marrakech to Barcelona. Very smooth check-in in the old section of the airport. Went through passport control very quickly and without any problems. The new airport has opened for all arrivals and departures and is a short walk which is well sign posted from the old section. It has shops, cafes and adequate seating. All very comfortable.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"gets better every time"

I cannot speak highly enough of Marrakech airport. I have travelled here for the past 5 years and it gets better every time. I realise this is a relatively small airport compared to Gatwick, but the staff there could take lessons from the organisation and customer service. After experiencing the chaos of getting to and through departure in Gatwick, Marrakech was such a good experience. Upon leaving, I found the security to be first class, nobody is allowed inside the airport now without first having their bags scanned, and I showed my passport about 3 times before even reaching passport control. The airport is spotlessly clean, so well organised and the staff are helpful and pleasant. I had no problems whatsoever in this airport. Well done to Marrakech for customer service and organisation. The only minus was that it's not obvious boarding passes have to be stamped at the check-in desk before going through to departures when only cabin bags are being taken, but this is insignificant in the scheme of things. I use a walking stick due to problems with my spine, and was shown to a shorter queue at passport control when the stick was noticed, I wish I could say the same for Gatwick, where I felt at a disadvantage due to my disability.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"a terrible experience"

(Hong Kong)

Marrakech Airport was a terrible experience. On the positive note Marrakech airport was actually quite modern. The check in was quite slow. Here comes the worst part: I then went to the immigration hall. There were at least 100 people in there cramped while lining up for immigration. We lined up for more than 1 and a half and hours. Finally we were at the immigration checking counter. The passport check took a whole half an hour.
Date VisitDecember 2015