Airline of the Year

Manchester Airport

"great experience all round"

Verified Review | Left T3 on Thursday. Arrived back today. Departing was ok. Security took a while but I'd rather be safe and it was organised. But the staff were friendly and laughing and joking with us. Flight delayed and terminal was busy but we found a seat no problem and then boarded no problem. Arrived back just now. Flew through passport control as there were only 3 people in the queue in front of us. Friendly border force staff, greeted with a smile. Great experience all round. I felt compelled to write this review as I'd read all the negative reviews before leaving. People only ever leave a review when they've had a bad experience. I had a great one. Top marks Manchester Airport Terminal 3.

"it's a disgrace"

Verified Review | I had heard rumours about the horrors of T3 but blithely assumed them to be exaggerations. But no. It was far worse. I went Fast Track. There are only two places for pax to put stuff on belt. Bad enough, but then 90% of bags were being kicked off for hand inspection. Maybe a hundred people formed a rugby scrum at the table. Bags were held up "Whose is this". The classic came "Open the case" a jobsworth barked at a pax. He did. It was completely empty. They had "seen" something in a completely empty bag. The staff are rude, ignorant and apparently unaware of standard airport security routines in the rest of the world. I will never fly out of MAN again. It is a disgrace.
Date VisitMay 2017

"there was a very long wait"

Verified Review | I was travelling with family. There was a very long wait before reaching the security check where we were met with extremely rude staff. On return we almost waited for an hour to pass immigration. There were more staff working to organise the queue than immigration officers. As there were too many passenger waiting for immigration the officer was rushing to process the passengers rather proper checking which I thought was the purpose. I would avoid this airport if I could.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"Manchester really needs to sort this out"

Verified Review | The security check at Manchester airport terminal 3 is horrific. Long delays as virtually every bag is searched. In most U.K. Airports you have to remove belts, laptops and liquids and iPads from your hand luggage. Manchester airport expect all electrical items to be removed. Each goes in a separate tray! Also had to remove a tag heuer watch and put it in the tray. Handy for someone to steal as I'm waiting on the other side of security as it goes through scanner. I had to wait 30 minutes for my bag to be searched while holding my liquids, jacket, hairdryer and kindle. Manchester really needs to sort this out. My watch never beeps in airports. I'd advise avoid Manchester and use Liverpool. Much more sensible security search there.
Date VisitMay 2017

"unpleasant security check service"

Verified Review | Manchester is the worst airport I have ever been to. I have been to many countries, including poor countries with limited budgets but I have never seen such a disorganised and unpleasant security check service like here in Terminal 3. It is very unpleasant and ruins the experience of the rest of the airport.
Date VisitMay 2017

"most recent reviews are right on the money"

Verified Review | I use this airport regularly as I return home to visit family, but have never bothered reviewing as I didn't want to post something negative in the hope that it might improve in due course. Sadly, this has not happened for around 8 years now and most recent reviews are right on the money - while check-in staff aren't too bad, the mess begins at security with horrific queuing (even with babies or small children, although if you bother to ask for yourself you may be allowed into a quicker line despite initially being channelled in with the masses) and a distinct lack of clarity of understanding between staff overseeing the lines. And this is before the screening procedure even begins, at that point, you will be "greeted" by rude, pretentious, patronising and poorly trained staff who bark at passengers (and sometimes to each other) as if we are schoolchildren. How some of these guys are allowed to work anywhere at all is a wonder to me. During busy times, only around half of the scanning "desks" seemed to be open (why?), leading to a fair bit of chaos if any items (and there seemed to be a lot) have to be rescanned for one reason or other. With this mess you would expect there to be at least a competent surveillance system in place. Seemingly not. Due to a screaming toddler - thanks to the moronic staff for making matters significantly worse on that front by ignoring advice and trying to interact with said toddler, despite repeated requests not to - I left 3 items in one of the trays there. This tray was not to be seen with my other items and so I left it as an oversight (my fault admittedly). It contained a laptop and two cameras. The laptop and one camera were recovered via LuggagePoint. The second (and larger) camera that was in the same tray, somehow disappeared. How did the other items make it to lost property? Surely CCTV should pick this up or at least give us some indication? Apparently not, as the images weren't clear enough to see. It really is that easy to walk off with someone else's property at the security screening despite there being multiple CCTV cameras in the vicinity. Unbelievable. Once you've finally escaped and made your way through to the shopping/refreshment areas things don't get much better. Eating options are sadly limited (not a massive issue for short flights which typically depart terminal 3) and there aren't screens in convenient areas showing you your gate number - you shouldn't have to go right through to a bar area to see one of these! Oh and good luck trying to find a clean toilet/baby change facility before your flight. Seating at the gate seemed to be ample though. So it's not all doom and gloom. Departing the city of my birth used to be a slightly sad experience, but the idiocy of the airport staff ensure this is no longer the case. Such a shame that they do not represent the people of Manchester as a whole. I live in hope that someone sees sense and completely overhauls the airport and its practices, but I don't expect it to happen at any time soon. As a final note: having to pay for luggage trolleys really makes you look cheap!
Date VisitMay 2017

"very rude and unhelpful"

Verified Review | My 93 year old father and I required wheelchair assistance. When arriving at assistance desk we said we had booked assistance, he was very rude and unhelpful and snapped at us saying we'll have to push the chairs ourselves. We nearly missed our flight. Fortunately another pusher saw us struggling and he pushed one of the chairs. He apologised for our treatment. I would suggest a customer service course would be helpful on how to cope in stressful conditions.
Date VisitApril 2017

"staff rude and unhelpful"

My husband and I recently departed from Manchester on the afternoon Emirates plane to Dubai for Hong Kong. We are seasoned and well travelled. We normally transit through Heathrow. However, this time decided to go via Manchester. Never again would be my opinion. Security - a joke. Staff directing fast track passengers to non fast track side, then being told to go back. Sigh. Inspection of hand luggage. Totally at odds to rest of the UK and other airports. Solid depodorants, asthma inhalers, solid lipsticks, all leave in bag at other UK airports & worldwide - at Manchester a rude man told me I had to decant into see through bags. All wires/chargers were pulled out of bag as were told they had to me. Issue, no consistency in U.K or even at Manchester itself. My wires were left in bag. My husbands were all pulled out. His solid deodorant was left in bag yet mine was pulled out. Avoid Manchester at all costs. Just not worth the effort. Staff rude and unhelpful and not what you expect from such an organisation.
Date VisitMay 2017

"the odd bad experience isn't a one off"

Now I know the odd bad experience isn't a one off. The problem is the high number of un educated, un trained and non caring people that work now at Manchester airport. There are a minority of exceptions. If there was another option locally the present airport would be closed. But please don't expect any improvement, the management don't care like the poor section of the staff. I suggest they put up the approval kiosks at each sector of the process, like they have in Europe, they would be amazoed with the publics option of how they delivered their service. I hope travellers don't think these people represent Manchester, they don't.
Date VisitApril 2017

"easily the worst UK airport"

Verified Review | I don't normally have the time or inclination to write 'reviews' but recent experiences at this airport (all bad) have compelled me to put pen to paper. Manchester is easily the worst UK airport I have ever experienced - possibly the worst airport anywhere. Everything about about the place is grubby and tacky, with dirty floors and accumulations of dust and dirt everywhere. The toilet facilities are hopelessly inadequate - too few, too small and too smelly. Every inch of available floor space is given over to retail outlets, with traveller comfort coming a long way down the list of priorities. On departure, the baggage check/security arrangements are a shambles and a nightmare, overcrowding, staff inefficiency and staff hostility all contribute to an painfully slow process and a genuinely unpleasant experience. On arrival, the queue at passport control was enormous and moved at a glacial pace. To top it all, there's even a charge for baggage trolleys. What kind of a cheapskate operation is this? Manchester airport is badly in need of significant investment in staff and facilities. Hint to the operators - take a look at any major continental airport to see how it should be done. I have made Manchester my airport of last resort.