Manchester Airport

"I for one appreciate what they do"

Not Verified | I lost my watch at security. I realised straight away. The security man helped me look for it but it wasn’t to be found. The man took my phone number and gave me a number to ring after 24 hours. I joked with him that at least my delay at going through security would give my friends a chance to get the drinks in. To cut a long story short, the wonderful security man found my watch and called me, when I didn’t answer my phone he came looking for me in the bar. So thank you and well udone to the Manchester terminal 3 security man. These staff have a difficult job of keeping us all safe. I for one appreciate what they do.

"Staff rude"

Not Verified | Chaos! Bag security checking system ridiculous. Technology does not equal efficiency, especially when it rejected bags for something that was not present! Removed items we were told too and still bags were rejected. Staff rude and loved the power. Appreciate need for safety. No need to be shouting rudely at people and causing this much chaos.
Date VisitMay 2018

"packed with people queuing"

Trip Verified | It's a bit pointless repeating everything in all the previous reviews, so really there's only one thing you need to know about this place, if at all possible do not use Manchester Airport. Below is (breifly) my latest experience. We departed there Sunday the 13th of May. Poor signage to guide you to the underground concrete sweatbox that is now T1 security. It was packed with people queuing back up into the baggage drop off hall. We did everything properly, liquids in clear bag, belt off etc., etc., My bag was pulled for search due to tea bags inside (sailing holiday). Man asked "what are these"? As it had already taken over an hour to get to this point, it took great willpower not to reply "What do you think they are?" Ironically, from a security point of view, if ever there was a place to create maximum carnage, then it is in this concrete bunker. Time from bag drop to being released into the shopping mall which doubles as Departure Lounge, 1 hour 35 minutes. Arriving back was a little better, but despite it being 20 past midnight, it was 25 minutes before the luggage carousel started.

"most unfriendly security"

Trip Verified | The most unfriendly security in any airport I know, and I travel a lot. They seem to be in love with the uniform and "power". Horrible experience and it seems to get worse each time. In the last month I used T1 and T3 and they were both awful. Seating area is awful too. I hate the airport.

"Dirty, noisy, chaotic"

Not Verified | Dirty, noisy, chaotic about sums up terminal 1. I've been through here many times and it gets worse every time. Must be one of the worst airport terminals in the world.
Date VisitMay 2018

"seems to get worse each time"

Not Verified | Unfortunately I travel through this airport four or five times per year and it seems to get worse each time. The security on departure and scanning area are ridiculously crowded in oppressively hot conditions and with surly staff. The system on arrival of having to queue with hundreds of passengers is unacceptable. Surly staff and scanning machines not working as they should just add to the frustration. The impression is that the staff are not really in control of the situation and visitors to this country must think it is all a bit of a joke. The worst airport I have ever used.
Date VisitMay 2018

"one of the slowest in the world"

Not Verified | Manchester passport control must be one of the slowest in the world. 2/10 for effort. Don’t fly via Manchester if you can avoid it. Very poor! Hopefully the new Chinese investment will assist things in the future.
Date VisitMay 2018

"no clear signage about where to go"

Trip Verified | A miserable experience in corporate cheapness. Access to T1 departures from the railway station is chaotic - up and down in lifts with no clear signage about where to go. Check in was okay, but the cynicism started at security, which is a clear exercise in nickel-and-diming. All the signs point to the express (paid for) security lines, while the standard one is poorly signed (I was one of a dozen people who could not see where to go) down a rickety concrete staircase in a far corner of the hall. To call it third-world is a gross insult to developing-world airports. Standard security is in a tatty concrete undercroft - it looks suspiciously like a former staff car-park - herded along through cattle grids. Must say, the security staff were very good and helpful but at the far end there are more incomprehensible lifts, steps, ramps and locked doors to the main concourse. Then it's the march through the duty-free store, which is three times as big as it needs to be because everything is triplicated, in case you miss a chance to buy giant Toblerone. Everything feel designed to extract as much money as possible, as shoddily as possible. Manchester is a great city: its airport is a disgrace to it. One star, plus one for the nice staff.
Date VisitMay 2018

"worst airport I’ve experienced"

Absolutely abysmal. Queues through security for an hour - seemingly random queuing system which results in pot luck on your wait time. Some staff lovely - but generally rude, officious and totally unnecessary attitude. I travel regularly and Manchester is by far the worst airport I’ve experienced in any country - airports with far higher volumes manage this painlessly. Sort it out. Shambolic and shameful.
Date VisitMay 2018

"real third world experience"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | This is a real third world experience. 2 meaningless hours of waiting in security. Obviously the scanners did not work and they might as well have checked anything manual in the first place. A small box taken out searching for liquids meant another half hour waiting even though it was empty as I told. I have experience Tripoli, Havana and places since the 70s but never anything like this. If going to Manchester fly to London and take the train. This is faster.