Manchester Airport

"the most hectic and stressful airport"

Unverified | I have lived all over the world, I've been in airports in countries such as Malaysia, Australia and Singapore but never in my life have I experienced a trip through any airport as I have many times at Manchester. I am from Manchester so I have nothing against the airport. But I am absolutely embarrassed to call this airport the airport representing my city. It is probably the most hectic and stressful airport I've ever been through in my entire life. As soon as you enter the airport you will understand what I mean. It is complete bedlam. Insanely long queues for basically anything you can think of. It is insane that every single time that I've been through this airport that I have been waiting in line and seen about 6 desks but only 1 person serving people, it is so incredibly frustrating. But probably the worst part of Manchester Airport is the security, I've known people who have missed flights because of it. They heard you like cattle and yell at you. It's constant yelling like a fish market. They are always aggressive and always cause it to take ages for you to get through. It is ridiculous. Word of warning to anyone flying into Manchester Airport. Don't put any luggage under the plane, only have a carry on for your own sanity. Every single time without failure at Manchester Airport no matter where you have flown from, whether it's nearest as Liverpool or as far away as Dubai or Australia. You will without a doubt have a long long long wait for your bags on the carousel. Because there simply aren't enough people working back there to get your bags to you on time. One time I waited along with my family after a long flight for almost 2 hours for our suitcases. But it wasn't just us. No suitcases came out at all during this time! So trust me when I say take a carry on and just stroll past the people who are stupid enough to put their precious bags in the hands of the workers (or lack of) at Manchester Airport. Also if your bag does go missing good luck getting it back. Customer service is terrible and they always say "I don't know". So to sum it all up, if you would like to be treated like cattle, yelled at, possibly miss your flight, wait for hours for bags, get your bags lost or stolen then by any means take a trip through Manchester Airport. But I am positive that unless completely necessary I will be avoiding this airport more than boyfriends avoid their crazy ex-girlfriends.
Date VisitJune 2017

"airport is an absolute disgrace"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Absolute chaos at check-in with no conveyor belts working. Through to the main area and the airport is an absolute disgrace, filthy dirty in many areas. Toilets gross and without supplies. Delayed for 5 hours and the passenger information desk don't have a clue what's going on. All sat there looking confused. This is my third time through Manchester airport this year it's the worst airport I've ever used. I will never use this airport again, I'd rather travel further a field than ever put myself through such an ordeal. You really can't believe it's 2017, Manchester airport you have some serious work to do. Shame on you, you need closing down!
Date VisitJuly 2017

"seen such a disorganised mess"

Verified Review | Arrived at the airport on Sunday at 4.30am for a 6.30am flight. We had already checked in online and only had hand luggage so went straight to security. Joined a huge queue just to get in, it took us until 6.15am (1 hour 45 minutes) to pass through security, there were only three security lanes open out of 16 with hundreds of passengers all trying to make their way through, it was absolute chaos. When I spoke to a member of staff to say we had to board in five minutes he just laughed at me and said "not to worry". All the while staff seemed to be everywhere laughing and chatting in groups on aisles that were not even open! Bags were being fed down a different aisles to people so luggage/trays came out in a different order and place to where expected which just slowed down the process even more. We were then told by a Manager our flight had been delayed due to the amount of people stuck in security and when they came through to grab them and run! Our bags finally appeared but I was still waiting for a second tray containing all of my cosmetics and toiletries and expensive hair straighteners. We had to make a choice to wait for it and miss our flight or leave it and hopefully make it, we chose the latter. I am now on Honeymoon missing lots of my luggage. Other passengers on different flights missed their flights. Never have I seen such a disorganised mess, how can any airport screen that amount of passengers with only three lanes open! Do not fly from Manchester unless this issue is sorted as you run a very hight chance of missing you flight even if you arrive in plenty of time.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"13 security stations but only 2 were open"

Verified Review | Shocking experience tonight. Security checks took 2 hours, kids crying, elderly unable to keep standing, one elderly lady vomitted and we all had to walk over it. I could see 13 security stations but only 2 were open. There wasn't even anywhere to queue. I was at the airport 3 hrs before the departure time with the intention of getting something to eat - had not eaten all day and ended up with no time. Another annoyance is that having exited security you then have to snake through all the shops with no way to escape then when time does not allow. Disgraceful third world experience.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"four of the scanning machines sitting idle"

Unverified | The process of bag drop at Easyjet followed by security screening at 5.30am on Sunday 9th July was slightly less than two hours. I was the last on the plane! What was irritating was to find at least four of the scanning machines sitting idle. Surely Manchester Airport have got the know how to bring all their facilities into use when customer numbers demand? The other interesting aspect of this queuing is that passengers have little or no time to spend time and money in the shops and restaurants in the terminal. I wonder if those clients of the airport,who doubtless pay hefty zone A rents for their shops and restaurants realise this and ever complain? The terminal needs a thoroughly good going over to improve this dreadful but necessary aspect of flying! Flying with Jet2.com was marginally quicker on another recent flight but the labryinthine route from ground to the main departure area was to say the least ludicrous! Returning was also marginally better once the eternal queue through passport control was negotiated.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"a stressful and disorderly experience"

Verified Review | Hated Manchester airport. Disorganized, dirty (bathrooms are filthy), and no communication amongst staff. Never again will I fly in or out of this airport. The lines for security are completely confusing and it's the fault of the staff. Trays get loaded and sent random, so instead of waiting for your two trays, you may be waiting and queuing to collect those after security as well because they just send any ones. It's just a stressful and disorderly experience.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Terminal 1 was utterly depressing"

Verified Review | Arrival at Terminal 1 was utterly depressing. The pier was shabby and dated with shoddy signage, low ceilings, and not particularly clean. Worse was to come at immigration with its confusing layout and far too many people being funnelled into an inadequate, stuffy space. Departing from Terminal 1 was just as bad but this time the longest queues were at security followed by entry into an overheated, noisy, scruffy departure lounge with inadequate seating. When I was at university in Manchester in the 1970s I had a summer job as a baggage handler/porter at Manchester airport and it is sad to see that Terminal 1 has remained much as it was 40 years ago with little effort having been made to improve passengers' experience apart from the obvious desire of management to maximise profits through cramming in as much retail activity as possible. Overall, a total embarrassment to the city of Manchester.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"no excuse for it to be this run down"

Verified Review | Dirty, crowded and cramped in areas where large groups need to pass by, long queues especially at passport control that is ridiculous and beyond badly organised, miserable staff and squalid toilets! I can only compare this airport to those of far poorer countries. There is no excuse for it to be this run down with the prices charged.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"it was like a cattle market"

Verified Review | Arrived in Manchester Airport terminal 3 and almost couldn't move. It was like a cattle market. Security was fine but bars shops and restaurants were ridiculously busy. Came back and waited for over an hour for our bag. No information given. It was terrible service. If you can avoid Manchester airport please do.
Date VisitJune 2017

"couldn't care less about my opinion"

Verified Review | Awful, truly awful. T1 security queue is truly shocking. Long queues, you are penned in by barriers in a hot airless queue. After 40 minutes crammed in this queue I get to the scanners. Friday evening in holiday time and four weren't being used. I complained to the manager and got the rudest most disinterested staff member who told me there was no problem! She was totally disdainful and couldn't care less about my opinion. Awful, did I mention that.