Manchester Airport

"a rapid and continual decline"

Verified Review | Simply awful and in some places disgusting and scary. And very, very, very tiresome. In the 'olden days' - i.e. the 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's, the old Manchester 'Ringway' airport was well known and loved by all who lived in the North West of the UK and used it regularly for holidays abroad. The Terminal 2 extension was welcome and it was a modern, comfortable, and functional addition to the existing airport. I cant put my finger on exactly when things started to change, but certainly over the last five years, at least, I have noticed a rapid and continual decline in almost every aspect of the airport experience. Without writing War and Peace I will set out the key problems with this airport [with reference to Terminal 1 upon departure]: 1) The road network access has become increasingly complicated to the point where it is almost inaccessible with any kind of ease. It seems that the airport doesn't like taxis, because the taxi drop-off facilities are so poor. I think the airport likes private cars and really just wants to provide car parking for these, which I presume it makes a lot of money from. 2) Baggage check-in is relatively uncomplicated unless you have a holdall-type bag, pushchair, or similar. The arrangements for getting these handed over for loading onto the plane are complicated, time-consuming, ill-signposted - you get the idea. Manchester Airport doesn't seem to like bags they think are difficult to process, and seems to feel entitled to make life difficult for the users of the airport in return. 3) Security screening is, quite simply, horrendous. Bedlam. Strip search territory. Airport staff with blank staring eyes barking orders at people. Children and old people looking bewildered and frightened by it all. Electronic body scanners. Scowling airport staff if people don't comply with their frenetic screeched commands instantly. If nothing else spoils your holiday [apart from arrival at the airport upon return - see later] then this will. 4) After you clear security screening Manchester Airport sends you through the yellow brick road of their "duty free" shops. There is no escape from this tour of things you don't want to buy because to get to the main lounge you have to go through the shops. You just have to keep plodding on like lemmings. 5) When you clear the yellow brick road of consumerism the first thing you see is the obligatory car gambling podium. There has been a 'luxury' car lottery-type thing going on at Manchester Airport for many years now. It is very, very, very tedious. 6) The main departure lounge at the airport is nothing to write home about. Over the years they have gradually reduced the seating to practically nothing, with the exception of seating in food outlets. Thus you are compelled to spend money consuming over-priced food/drink. 7) The toilets in the main departure lounge are grossly inadequate for the size of the facility. There are not enough toilets. The toilets are generally dirty, wet, and smelly. Just disgusting. Upon arrival back at the airport after a holiday, things do not get any better. Passport Control is a ridiculous affair. Endless zig-zag lines of people queueing. Airport or Customs staff barking orders and shouting at people. Scowling immigration officers. Ridiculous electronic passport machines that work badly. Luggage carousel delays. And of course, yet more filthy, dirty, and disgusting toilets. I am going to try Liverpool Airport.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"such an awful, awful airport"

Verified Review | What an absolute dump and a disgrace for the city of Manchester. Had the chance to use both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 recently, and these places are like something from the 1960's. Squashed, dark little passages everywhere, it feels like a local authority building built in 1960, and has less charm than a garden shed. In case you wonder what basis I comment, I visit on average about 50 airports worldwide each year, and this is worse than many in Africa. Terminal 1 arrivals is a mess, cramped and dirty - departures is even worse, overcrowded with rather cheap shopping area. Dirty is a polite description for the two sets of toilets I used. Security at 0730 in T1 was awful, and they need some serious advice from airports even like Heathrow that are so much better. I feel sorry for the people of Manchester and nearby to be stuck with such an awful, awful airport, and the company managing this place should be fired.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"all staff were rude"

Unverified | I have traveled extensively and have a list of the worst airports I have encountered, Manchester Airport managed to raise itself to the very top of that list. Departure: Arrive a good 6 hours ahead of flight (arriving in Manchester by train). Signage is very poor from the train to the terminal building, but - managed. Found the terminal - found the Emirates counter, had a long wait 3 hours before flight - counter opened, and was processed fairly quickly. Had a cloth based bag - was told it had to go in "special handling" 15 minute wait for special handling - bag was thrown onto conveyor. 45 minute wait to enter security, 38 minute wait to place items on security conveyor belt. 22 minutes wait for items to come out of the security conveyor belt. Warnings of additional 40+ minute wait if your bag is pulled for screening. Contact yelling and abuse by staff to empty all toiletries etc. Express passes for idiots: If you do not plan ahead tell security and get brought straight to the front of the line and really annoy the people who were smart, arrived early, and waited patiently. Was physically moved from the conveyor belt, my items removed, to allow a couple who "arrived late because of traffic". No warning, no please or thank you - I mumbled complaint and was told "you better remain quiet". So; for those doing the math - I arrive 6 hours early for my flight, and I am now left with 1 hour before the flight leaves - and the departure board is still not showing a gate. Decided to have a beer. Stood patiently waiting for bar tender to finish taking the order in front of me, when they paid and left, so did the bar tender. All 7 remaining bar staff were helping clients further along the counter and refused to acknowledge me. I left. Saw two Emirates crew members walking to the gate. Followed them, tried to enter the seating area, and was rudely told to take a seat as they were not ready to begin processing people. Sat patiently, was finally allowed to enter the seating area. Waited patiently, was finally (5 minutes to departure time) allowed to enter the gangway. Assisted another passenger carry her bags as she was left holding baby and all bags - and no staff offered to help. Flight crew finally came to the gangway and saw us all patiently waiting behind the ribbon and allowed us to enter. Overall - the worst airport I have ever traveled through. Never again. All staff were rude, airport is dirty and old feeling, passenger flow management is terrible, signage is awful - and - its all the passengers fault (according to all staff I met).
Date VisitOctober 2017

"a truly grim experience"

Verified Review | Reminiscent of a 1950s bus station but without the charm. Arrival and departure from Manchester Airport was a truly grim experience, and for an arriving passenger (especially a Brit coming back from abroad) a shock. Firstly in international arrivals a toilet cubicle not just with no toilet paper but with no receptacle for toilet paper (seemed to have been torn off the wall and disappeared) and no soap in the basin cleaner. Then an information counter whose staff, when asked for my connecting airline just said "never heard of it" (after I insisted, her younger colleague then bothered to look it up and direct us to it). Incredibly long walk between terminals - the information said "you could take a taxi". The domestic terminal had a mass scene of huge numbers of Ryanair passengers having their bags measured but we got through this to our own airline. Because of a delayed flight (not the airport's fault, of course) we were referred to an interline booking counter where over an hours wait involved standing the whole time as there was no seating anywhere. Indeed apart from the cafes the departures terminal seemed just to have no seats. This wait included their attempt to contact the airport hotel and getting no reply, and a lengthy negotiation to get us a £10 meal voucher, although meal options were surprisingly limited. The crowds milling round the terminal generally seemed grumpy and we were not surprised. To think that Manchester once bid to host the Olympics! Pathetic. It is a wonderful city and a wonderful community and deserves a lot better than this. Finally when we left Manchester on our domestic UK flight we had more intrusive and aggressive security than we have ever experienced. Nobody should mind airport security these days but rude men insisting on every item of a handbag being removed in public and individually inspected with aggressive remarks - underwear, cosmetics, everything - is something different.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"walkway conveyor belts weren't operating"

Verified Review | Arrived Manchester Airport to find three trolley signs showing 'Out of Order'. Fourth one had a few trolleys but not working. Spoke to airport staff to say it was a very bad image for passengers arriving at airport. He indicated which two trolley sites were in operation so finally got a trolley. Also I don't understand why passengers are expected to pay for a trolley? It's not the type of equipment that people want to keep or run away with and it's an extra task after long flight and perhaps no sterling currency. (I do wonder whether the change machines might also have been out of order?) Next problem was, as it appears to be quite common from previous flights, some of the walkway conveyor belts weren't operating. Rather embarrassing. We need to project a welcome and efficiency at the gateway to our country.

"single worst airport"

Verified Review | Manchester Airport is without doubt the single worst airport I have travelled through in recent years. It's hard for me to put into words how much I hate this airport. I travel once a month minimum for work and this is my local airport. I am always struck by how every airport I encounter on the return journey - whether it be USA, China or elsewhere in Europe - shows Manchester up to be terrible. Security here is the crux of it. The staff are rude to the point of aggressiveness. Staff turnover is extremely high, hence the constant recruitment drives you see adverts for when you pass through, and I think that is reflected in the service delivered. Manchester is also the only airport I have ever passed through ever that counts such things as a push-on deodorant stick as liquid "because it is spreadable at room temperature" - literally anything is spreadable at room temperature, it is merely a question of how much pressure is applied. Bags are pulled for re-scanning for the most spurious of reasons. You will never see more bags pulled at any other airport. I suspect they are working to quota. Literally no other airport anywhere ever, have I seen the kind of chaos nonsense I see at Manchester on a regular basis. Today was my 15th or 16th trip through there this year. Today was another level again. First a guy who seemed to be in the middle of a panic attack, as if he was organizing the evacuation of Dunkirk, demanding in urgent panicked fashion that every little thing be put in a separate tray, so that usually what takes me three trays - I carry the same things for business all the time - today took six. Then on the other side, his counterpart, a guy who seemed to be working his first day on the front line and was as pumped up and gung-ho as a guy doing his first day in the vietnam jungle. Move! Move! Don't stand there! Keep moving, he's shouting at people, which again, I have never seen at this airport or any other. He's also yanking trays the second anyone takes their stuff out of them. I said to him, calm down, is this your first day or what? He got verbally aggressive in response; at the same time, he's still pulling trays left right and center and feeding them back into the machine, so his mate at the front can have a steady supply of empty trays for his "every pencil needs a separate tray!" regime. I got hassled out of there and then went to board and only when I got on the plane did I realize that he had stacked an empty tray onto a tray of mine which contained a kindle and a portable hard drive. Manchester Airport direct you to a third-party lost-luggage company if you leave anything in their airport security, or elsewhere. So I had to spend an hour on hold to speak to a woman based somewhere in the south of England who told me that there was no record of anything being left at T3, matching my description. If you at all have the chance to travel from Liverpool or any other airport other than Manchester, take it. The security procedure is a joke and for sure they will ruin your day / trip.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"had rung Manchester 4 times"

Verified Review | Awful. I'm a diabetic who uses a insulin pump which isn't allowed in x-ray or body scanned, have to have pat down. Requested this as soon as we got to security, would like to point we out had rung Manchester 4 times before our holiday making sure I wouldn't be forced into machines, but yes I was told either go in or miss flight. Already my sugars were out of control with worrying.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"airport from start to finish is a disgrace"

Verified Review | Usually a traveller through Manchester Airports Groups sister airport of East Midlands but due to the time of year the destination we were traveling to was only available through Manchester. Surely a major airport though would be a wonderful experience in comparison, with on the ball security, pleasant well trained staff, a wide choice of restaurants, organised boarding and on our return, well ordered border control. Oh how wrong can you be! Manchester airport from start to finish is a disgrace. Upon arrival at the T1 long stay car park all appeared ok although the parking space was a little tight. We got the transfer bus easily enough but we made our first encounter with the driver whom obviously didn't want to be there, grumpy and barking orders re our luggage. On arrival at T1 I was shocked at how dated the facade was but hoped it would improve inside. It didn't. The entrance was confusing with poor signage and there appeared to be a number of homeless rough sleepers in the area. Eventually we stumbled on security (we were taking hand luggage only) and we had had the foresight to pay for fast track so walked to the front of the queue. Like others have said the staff there seamed sullen and enjoyed barking out their orders. Handily I have worked in security at EMA so knew the drill and placed all by belongings in several trays and proceeded through the scanner and onto retrieve the same. Two trays had however been pulled for inspection. The two members of staff that dealt with me were both rude, sullen and divoid of any customer care. My crime was that I hade left asthma inhalers in my jacket pocket and a couple in my case. How is it that two different MAG airports have different rules re inhalers. EMA do not consider inhalers as a 'liquid' yet seamingly Manchester do. The staff member proceeded to put them in a plastic bag, not sealed it as they should and do a sniff test on them! Anyway once these were deemed safe to travel we made it through to the departure lounge, what a dump! Forced through the duty free area we eventually found such a poor selection of restaurants we could barely find anything worthy of eating. When we did it was the typical over inflated prices for poor quality. We had got there early which was just as well as despite it being off season the terminal fillled quickly with obviously insufficient seating so many just stood around. When our gate was called it was a bit of a hike made worse by having to try and push through groups of people whom were waiting at their gates with no obvious organisation. The whole experience leaving via Manchester left such a poor impression but finally we were on our way, albeit somewhat stressed. Unfortunately our return did nothing to improve our view of the place. On leaving the aircraft we were ushered through a tight warren of back stairs and cramped corridors. For anyone with mobility issues this would have been a nightmare. We eventually got to border control - oh dear! The queues were large and despite being a couple were directed into the family lane. This queue did not move. It was manned by three officers manually checking passports when there were several unmanned booths. It took from leaving the place to stepping out of the airport over 70 minutes. When we did we met the same cheerless bus driver after a furthe 15 minutes. It's not too strong to say I hate this airport. Poorly staffed by unhappy people, a company only driven by profit and not the customer experience.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"condition of the car was shocking"

Unverified | Used the terminal 2 multi storey during October 2017. I would advise anyone against using this facility until the work has ended. It cost £150 and not only had our car been damaged but despite it being cleaned the day of arrival, the condition of the car was shocking. You would think it had been in a Car rally thick of dust. No attendants on hand to ask about the damage, one did spot us but he vanished quickly when realising we were actually looking for someone to give advice. We have used the multi storey parking at Manchester for years and can honestly say this is the worst experience ever. The Directors of the airport need to have a very close look at their customer service is sinks well below my expectations now.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"each lying down sleeping"

Unverified | Terminal 3 between 4.00am-5.40am. Almost all the chairs taken in the whole terminal! Not by sitters but loads of people taking up four chairs each lying down sleeping! I can understand people are tired but quite selfish as most people had to stand around waiting for their flight. Obviously acceptable to airport management, can I suggest you replace most of the furniture with loungers if you are going to accommodate this behaviour.