Vote Airport

Manchester Airport

"a decent airport"

Manchester International Airport is a decent airport. It was a noon departure for me but I arrived really early. I went to one of their lounges and I was not impressed. There was a limited selection of food and drinks. The airport staff were all helpful and friendly. Airport signs were visible and clear so you can get around easily. The only thing I can complain about is the limited choice of big airlines serving the airport. Although it can be noted that major players such as Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Etihad, British Airways and American are present, there are limited destinations. Overall, I think Manchester Airport is pretty good.
Date VisitAugust 2015

"system kept stalling"

We arrived from Newark, New York at 8.00am on Wednesday 3rd February. We walked straight into a long queue for passport checking. An airport employee informed us that it was the first day of the new electronic system. It clearly didn't work very well. The system kept stalling with machines failing to work. Many passengers found it difficult to operate (especially the elderly). There weren't enough staff to offer guidance and support. Ironically, two passport officers sat with nothing to do as the queue got longer. I saw one frustrated passenger simply give up on the machine and walk around. No one challenged him. So much for airport security. When another flight arrived staff resolved to take them through to the customs officers. We eventually got through after an hour in the queue. Not a good experience after a 14 hour journey. Total lack of effective preparation and hopelessly understaffed.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"we easily found seats"

1pm Saturday afternoon we expected a bit of a queue for check in and security but we were through in about ten minutes. We easily found seats and one of the bars and had an expensive but pleasant drink. Browsed the extensive duty free and made our way to the gate where we experienced some frustration as passengers were advised that hand luggage would have to go in the hold (airline had stuffed some of the overhead lockers with stuff for the return journey). We were lucky and kept our bags with us. On return at 1am on a Sunday morning we were off the plane and in the car in 25 minutes, which included a trip to the toilets as we waited for no more than six or seven minutes for our bags to come onto the belt and walking to the multi storey car park.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"chaos getting through security"

One queue after another. Queue to drop bag (T3) but then had to queue again to actually send it through as was a soft bag so it couldn't be put through at the desk because it would get ripped. Why? Then complete chaos getting through security, took forever and this is 5.20am, would hate to think how long it would take at a busier time. Even had to stand in massive queue to buy a magazine in WHSmith. After all that couldn't face standing in the huge queue in Costa. Facilities clearly wholly inadequate. I'll be going back to Liverpool next time for a more relaxing start to my holiday.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"straight through without queuing"

We arrived at the airport at 4am for a 6am flight. We used the meet and greet terminal 1 car park, which was very good. On arrival at the Jet2.com check in desks, which are on the ground floor level, there was a big queue for check in. So it took us around 30 mins to drop 2 bags off. Next we proceed to security, the ground floor check in, has its own security section, which is separate to the main security search upstairs, in the main terminal. There were no secuity queues, and we passed straight through without queuing. We arrived into the departure lounge, and were pleased with the selection of shops available. We were called to departure gate 15, 50 minutes before departure. It was one of the furthest gates from the departure lounge. Gate 15 does not have an air-bridge so we boarded by stairs. On return we disembarked the aircraft using a air-bridge and were only waiting for passport control for about 5 mins. On return our baggage was waiting on the belt for us to collect. Manchester Airport is one of my favourite airports in the UK, and would definitely recommend it.
Date VisitAugust 2015

"security control was brisk"

Very poor signing to the Car Rental Village when coming from the M56. Easyjet's check-in area also poorly signed as regards who should be in which queue which lead to almost a party game as we (and about 50 others) changed lines in response to verbal instructions from a member of staff. Once in the right place, the staff couldn't have been more helpful, and although the check-in process was chaotic, it was good humoured. Security control was brisk and the staff helpful doing their job competently and professionally. The duty-free shopping zone was, as on previous occasions, an unwelcome waste of time but our flight left promptly and our trip through the airport was not as stressful as we had been anticipating.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"not a care in the world"

Me and my partner were travelling from Shannon, Ireland. 2 pieces of luggage, a pram with a 10 month old baby. Every place I've been to with the baby we have had the pram as soon as we get off the plane. Not at Manchester Airport. Landed at 11.23pm and not only do we have to carry the two pieces of luggage down the steps, we also have the child fast asleep in my arms. Get to the bottom of the steps to be told we have to wait at the carousel to get the pram. Pouring with rain we struggle to walk to the shuttle bus to get us to arrivals. Then 15 minutes later we get the pram. I feel sorry for single struggling parents traveling with young children who needs a pram plus luggage and the staff arent even bothered. I got told by a young woman who I asked if we could possibly get the pram any quicker, "no you'll just have to wait". Not a care in the world.

"treated with hostility"

I have a Thai wife and a mixed daughter that I took through the UK passport check in 5 mins, there the positives end. My wife had to queue 2.5 hours while we waited for her our daughter who is 3 and was very tired and cranky. We had just flown in from Abu Dhabi where I had been working for a year. In the Middle East we are used to my wife being treated like garbage. The same attitudes are at Manchester too. Matters not one jot if you travel to the UK frequently to visit family, you are treated with hostility for daring to want to breathe UK air! Can't these people not tell a marriage of convenience from a professional couple (I'm a teacher in international schools). It was doubly infuriating to see women from the gulf countries apparently passing through with the minimum of fuss. Horrible airport.
Date VisitJuly 2015

"friendly and chatty immigration officer"

(Spain)

Arrived into Manchester Airport, Terminal 3 from Madrid at 18.00 on a Saturday evening. Straight through passport control, just a couple of minutes walk from the arrival gate - friendly and chatty immigration officer - and to baggage reclaim where our suitcases were waiting on the carousel. We were in a taxi to central Manchester within fifteen minutes of arrival. No complaints whatsoever.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"bordering on chaotic"

(Bahrain)

We arrived at Terminal 2 check in at 17.10 for a 19.30 departure to Doha. Only two check in desks were allocated to economy and accordingly the queue was long and very slow moving. Only two flights were leaving Terminal 2 on this particular evening; in addition to the Qatar Airways flight to Doha, a PIA flight to Islamabad. Despite this, the time taken to clear security would make you think that this was peak period. The security area was badly managed, understaffed and bordering on chaotic. We eventually reached the departure lounge at 18.40 - 90 minutes after arriving at the airport - at which time the flight was boarding. It didn't matter that there was no time to browse the shops as the vast majority of them were already closed anyway. In todays world most of us understand the need for increase security however, Manchester Airport should not use this as an excuse for extremely poor customer service.
Date VisitDecember 2015