Top 100 Airlines

Manchester Airport

"every shop and eating outlet was closed"

My flight departed late evening from Manchester's T2. I was astonished to find, after passing through security, that pretty much every shop and eating outlet was closed at 19.30. With a long flight and connection ahead of me, I had planned to arrive at the airport in plenty of time and eat my evening meal before boarding. This, however was not the case, there was only one bar open which had the wide selection of either a meat feast or margarita pizza baguette. I bought one as there was no other choice, it was like chewing a brick. I cannot believe that a terminal operating long haul night flights is incapable of providing its customers with a decent selection of basic food and drink facilities or shops that are open. The airline I flew with is great and always my first choice, however based on the poor evening terminal provision, I would seriously consider using an alternative airline in future departing from another terminal, as it was, quite frankly, appalling.
Date VisitApril 2016

"poor, scruffy, outdated airport"

What a poor, scruffy, outdated airport this is and it is always busy so cash should not be a problem. Security is a joke, passengers are herded around like cattle, the staff range from sarcastic, to just okay to downright rude, you do get the occasional friendly one but not often. Passport control is verging on the ridiculous, the machines don't work properly for many people - and why is this? No investment. I always feel very ashamed when I see visitors to our country having to endure this terrible first impression, it's a wonder they don't turn straight around and head home. Come on Manchester airport - get into the 21st century.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"manners were non-existent"

I flew out with Jet2 on 12th April. Check in was fine and staff very helpful. Arrived at Security and let me make it quite clear I am very happy with all the checks as they are for my safety, however the way they were done was even worse than it used to be in the U.S.A. some years ago. I was wearing and carrying exactly the same things as I was when I flew TAP to Lisbon approximately 1 month ago and then I did not set off the alarm. However this time I did. The lady who dealt with me, her manners were non-existent. I realise they have a job to do but 'would you take off your shoes' instead of 'take off your shoes' will gain them far more respect than I had for this authoritarian battle-axe.
Date VisitApril 2016

"a stressful and unpleasant experience"

On two of our last three visits, we have found Manchester Airport a stressful and unpleasant experience. On the latest occasion, even though we checked our bags in at the required two hours before our flight, the Airport seemed utterly overwhelmed by the volume of passengers it needed to screen through security. Given that the numbers were obviously predictable, this was inexplicable. We stood for an hour in a long snaking line, with officials raising the tension still further by informing already stressed passengers that people making mistakes with electronics/liquids etc would "have to wait an hour to get their bags checked" and "people are missing their flights." By the time we got through, we were exhausted, anxious and ran to our gate. We were supposed to be starting our much-needed and hard-earned holiday. Staff at Manchester seem to be nearly uniformly unfriendly and unhelpful, with no concept that passengers are paying customers. It left us wondering about the leadership culture which produces this approach; moreover, the management of predictable flows of passengers seems wholly inadequate. If we have a viable alternative choice in future we will avoid Manchester.
Date VisitApril 2016

"£3.50 to park and pick up"

The company that owns Manchester airport is a disgrace. Every 6 months they put the price of car parking up by about 20 pence, that might not seem a lot but think about how many millions of people use this on a daily basis. I went today and they have put it up by another 50p, so it's now £3.50 to park and pick up. There is no reason to put the price up except greed.
Date VisitApril 2016

"shameful treatment of customers"

Security in T3 is dreadful. Woefully understaffed in a cramped undersized area. Fast track means nothing (unlike other airports where it is separate) - don't waste your money. Spent 45 mins waiting for my bag (random check) observing the staff - one good efficient member of staff, two painfully slow (and don't mean with the search part - you can't rush that, it's too important) and one extremely rude to many customers. I shall try not to fly from Manchester T3 from at all possible in the future. Shameful treatment of customers.

"a total embarrassment"

The automated passport machines at Manchester are useless. I arrived from Iceland where everything just works - the technology at Keflavik is brilliant so it's a total embarrassment arriving back home to useless technology. The airport is scruffy and I'll try to avoid it in future.
Date VisitApril 2016

"passport control is understaffed"

Totally shambolic and inadequate facility. Terminal 3 departure lounge is full of staircases to negotiate and far too small for the crowds. Baggage desk area becomes log-jammed if three people walk abreast. Parking is shockingly expensive. On departure, you're made to queue in the stairwells to the apron while passangers alight your plane. On arrival, you're immediately met by stairwells to negotiate, often more than one flight, once you enter the terminal building. Passport control is understaffed, with biometric scanners so dysfunctional, they require as many border security staff as the standard control desks. Staff speak to users as though it's their fault they don't work. Staff then start shepherding the growing queues and bark at people. Staff on passport control are rude and frown a lot. The whole Manchester Airport City £800 million investment completely misses the point and ignores the fact that the terminal three building is an utter failure and unfit for use.

"e-passport machines ineffective"

In common with so many other passengers we had a poor experience with the e-passport machines at Manchester Airport. I know how to use these machines (which way to insert the passport, where to stand even though this means I can't see the instructions on the screen when I remove my glasses like you're required to do etc) and despite this I had to try twice and then have my passport checked by a border force officer after waiting in another queue. Why do the machines at Schiphol work so well and why are the ones at Manchester so ineffective?
Date VisitApril 2016

"this is a very poor airport"

Departure - long queue for dropping off outside terminal, queue for baggage drop, long queues through security, lots of empty shops, long walk to the gate. Arrival - long queue for immigration, long wait for the luggage to arrive, arrival hall a crush, making it difficult to get through. This is a very poor airport.
Date VisitMarch 2016