Top 100 Airports

Manchester Airport

"no seats at gates really"

Awful airport. Security takes forever they pretty much check every bag. Mine was checked after x-ray as they thought I'd left a liquid in it. I hadn't. It took about an hour to get through security. Then to walk to the gates you've to wait while other flights are disembarking as the corridor is too narrow or something. Toilets were dirty and not pleasant. No seats at gates really. Have travelled extensively and this is definitely the worst airport I've been at.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"quick and easy as usual"

Departing Manchester T2 was quick and easy as usual. Short wait at security, but less than five minutes. Arriving was better than ever before, with about a minute wait at immigration, with bags there immediately. From plane to airport exit in less than five minutes was very good, especially as another flight was immediately before us. Signage, shopping options, and queue speed is always exceptional. Prices a bit expensive in the main restaurant, however the shops were very good value.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"check in area is cramped"

MAN is a convenient hub for travel to the northern part of the UK and has direct flights from a number of US hubs on the eastern seaboard. Independent of LHR's BAA affiliation it has a large number of carriers from its 3 terminals. Though convenient to access [road congestion low, rental car facilities near and parking sufficient] I typically encounter the worst check in delays of any major airport I use. The check in area is cramped and woefully under staffed on most airlines, so expect 1h+ wait for any long haul check in. Security lines are equally slow, with 45 min-1 h common. Accordingly, unless airline allows online check in, you are wise to hold a 3h buffer for arrival at airport for an on time departure. Facilities are adequate, but given delays in check in /security the chances are you will be heading straight to the gate anyway.

"no stairs available"

(Sweden)

My flight from Stockholm went smoothly until I arrived at Manchester Airport. The first problem was that there were no stairs available to get off the aircraft and we had an uncomfortable 15-20 wait. Secondly, there were two sets of stairs with no lift or escalators to get into the terminal building. Once in the terminal I had to negotiate a number of escalators and travelators that were not working (could they all have been broken or were they switched off). It's some way to the station and non-functioning escalators etc doesn't help. Add in long queues at the border and malfunctioning ticket machines at the nearby station and Manchester Airport is not doing well in the competition to be my favourite airport.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"no staff to ask anywhere"

Arrived at Manchester airport from Vienna on 4th August, 2016 only to find that the escalators were not working again making it very difficult for my wife and I who have joint problems, to actually climb up stairs in the ensuing rush of people dashing to leave the airport. In addition we had to wait for over one and a half hours for baggage to come onto carousel. No seating and no explanation for delay. No staff to ask anywhere and no announcements and no apology. Manchester airports poor standard does not compare with other international airports around the world and gets a big thumbs down.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"very few personnel available to ask"

Traveling from Orlando, Florida USA to Cork, Ireland. Got off the plane and had no clue as to where I needed to go. Signs posted were not clear and very few personnel available to ask. When waiting to ask questions I was ignored until I finally had to loudly interrupt someone for help. Was then directed to fill out a customs declaration. One of the questions was 'Where are you staying in the UK?' and the next question was 'How long are you staying in the UK?'. As I was not staying in the UK, I didn't fill that out. The woman at the desk told me to enter where I would be staying in Ireland and for how long. I was tired, frustrated and worried I would miss my connection and I cursed to myself as I walked away. This offended the woman at the desk. When I got back in line, she verbally, and loudly, chastised me and appeared to be waiting for me to react (I did not). She then made me get out of line to help the next people in line. She then demanded that I sit down and when I said I had been sitting on a plane for 9 hours and would like to remain standing, she demanded again that I sit down. She made me wait until the line was cleared and when I stepped up to the desk, she took my passport and papers then turned away to do other tasks while I stood at her desk. Then she proceeded to have a casual conversation with a coworker. When she finally cleared me to leave, she told me in a very nasty tone, "Next time keep your comments to yourself!" And after that still held my passport for a minute waiting to for me to respond (I did not). Meanwhile her coworker laughed. I will not use this airport again.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"no apologies, miserable staff"

Appalling treatment of passengers in security. Leave yourself several hours to get through and preferably travel from a different airport. There were long long queues, then after x-raying hand luggage, they took most people's bags aside and put them on trolleys to be searched. Then a handful of staff very leisurely took the bags, called out "who's is this bag" and the supposed owner came forward. They searched the bag, telling us it was our own fault they were being searched because we had liquids (most of us didn't). We were waiting over half an hour just for this to occur. Then they re-xrayed the bags, returning them to the long queue we'd waited in the first time. Those of us with 2 pieces of hand baggage had our bags put on 2 separate trolleys and had to wait for 2 different staff to search them. There were 100's of people stood around while this happened. They even did it to cabin crew who clearly know the rules on liquids and would know what they can and can't carry. No apologies, miserable staff, a lot of people were late for their flights.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"long queues at security check"

Long queues at security check. My luggage was repeatedly sent through the x-ray scanner before clearing it the 4th time. Each time a different person served me. Each time my luggage was opened and contents removed and put in separate trays and even separate lines. I had to monitor 2 different x-ray lines to pick up my luggage and it took me 90 minutes to pass security alone (including the queuing time). Worst experience. Will never ever use this airport in my lifetime.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"will never fly from here again"

Stayed in the Raddison at Manchester Airport the night before my flight. Most of the moving walkways out of action and a massive walk to gat through corridor after corridor and shops - this airport has to be the worst in the UK. Very few seats for people to use. I will never fly from here again and so many other people I spoke to today also said no more. It reminds me of Gatwick before it got a management team in - something Manchester clearly does not have, so stay well clear.

"toilets were unacceptable"

Terrible service at Manchester Airport. Check in staff were extremely rude, the lack of seating and sheer volume of people in the small terminal made the whole experience almost unbearable. Nowhere to sit, eat and the queues in all the shops were disgraceful. The toilets were also unacceptable.