Malaga Airport

Terminal Seating N/A

Review by (Belgium) 17th March 2015

My husband and I have had an excessive security check at Malaga Airport on Thursday 12 March 2015. While we both acknowledge the need for effective security surely the security personnel should have a certain level of intelligence and above all common sense. We are both 70+ and are seasoned travellers. My handbag was searched and although I had inadvertently left a fresh pear in it it was not noticed. I had to remove my boots despite there being no heels I had travelled wearing them from Brussels to Dublin and then Dublin to Malaga and did not need to remove them previously. My husband had to remove his belt and his braces despite the fact that his trousers were falling off him he suffers from Parkinson's and he was frantically trying to hold up his trousers with his trembling hands - of course he was furious and this did not help the situation. The Security person called someone who looked like a policeman and mumbled something to him in Spanish. My husband's computer was switched on by the Security person - how could that be necessary? Again I underline the need for common sense which was very thin on the ground at Malaga Airport.

Review by (United States) 31st October 2014

Very nice spacious and modern terminal facility. The same issue I had with Madrid Airport I have with this one for lack of gate assignments for your flights until one hour prior to departure. They should please rectify this.

Review by (United Kingdom) 22nd October 2014

Have been through Malaga several times since my last comments in 2011 and each time there seems to have been some change. This time we found the road exit and ingress were different: no longer does one pass the San Miguel factory but instead there is an almost direct link with the motorway system which is an improvement. Less helpful was the signage from the hire car return area to the terminal which was actually confusing and we had to wander backwards and forwards until we recognised somewhere familiar. Once in the terminal itself everything went fairly smoothly apart from finding the shortest route through the unavoidable "duty free" area. By careful studying of flights already boarding we were able to anticipate the likely gate area for our flight though we didn't go through passport control till we were sure having got it wrong on a previous transit!
Airport Shopping N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 13th October 2014

I have used this airport twice now. You arrive into the beautiful gleaming new terminal 3 with easy transition through passport control and out to the very efficient train station. Getting back home is a different story. You check into the brand new gleaming terminal 3 but if you are directed into lounges B or C don't go through until you absolutely have to! This is the depressing old 1960/70s part and looks it. Most UK flights go back from these lounges and they are drab with 1 tiny duty free shop a poor self service snack bar and the air conditioning is woeful. Even the staff were suffering with the heat. You cannot avoid going to these lounges but put it off until you have to and stay in the new terminal which is state of the art.

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th August 2014

Ok flying into airport but chaotic departure. Person on check-in desk gave us wrong time for boarding and we nearly missed flight as result. Airport toilets were smelly and catering was overpriced and poor quality. When we went through security nobody was watching monitoring screen as my bag and two others passed through scanner! Car rental drop-off is also a long way from terminal building.

Review by (Portugal) 20th July 2014

Malaga airport is very well run spacious and cleaned to very high standards. Everything seems brand new and airport staff are mostly friendly. Outside the airport where you catch the taxis or bus the atmosphere is quite stressful though. There's a wide selection of shops for every taste.

Review by (United Kingdom) 3rd July 2014

This has got to be the worst airport. I have limited mobility so had to use the assistance service. What a shambles. The girl running the department was at best very rude and at worst only worried about herself. We sat in this department for 2.5 hours (despite numerous requests that we be taken to our boarding gate) they only took us when the airline rep phoned them to say they were doing final boarding and waiting for us. I had to try and walk from the departure gate onto the plane. I will never fly to Malaga again.

Review by (United Kingdom) 8th June 2014

The kindest thing I can say is that it is a disorganised shambles. On arrival not too bad got our bags then a long walk to get out. Ok but on departure half the departure screens were not working so didn't know where to go to check in. Finally did then the queue for security is overly long because its so badly thought out and run. When you do get through its hard to find anywhere to sit. The limited food outlets are hugely expensive all with large queues. As others have said when you get to the gates there is very little seating so expect a long stand before you board. Oh yes don't use the toilets unless you have to they are the smelliest I have come across for a long time. Without doubt the old airport without the extension was far better. Next time although arriving at here we depart from Gibraltar Airport for which we are eternally grateful.

Review by (United Kingdom) 13th November 2013

Have made a number of visit to Malaga this year as usual. Because of the completion of T3 has not been the best airport to visit but was hoping this year would be better in fact now worse. Fortunately Jet2 our carrier now has T3 booking desks from T1 and T2 previously however those with t1 or T2 desks have a long walk to the only customs in T3. On arrival last year we arrived T2 and went straight to the luggage belts in T2 this year arrived T2 and like 2011 had to walk through T3 and back to T2 luggage belts why I ask not good for us oldies. On departure things getting worse in October all the tables behind the x-ray machines have been removed which forces people to empty their trays of wallets etc whilst it is on the machines rollers still. This slow the passage of the bags etc to nearly a standstill we were moved to an x-ray machine with only 4 people in front of us with plastic trays but a full belt and a whole family of 4 trying to recover their items of the belt. 30 minutes later we got to put our trays through the machine. As I had to take my shoes and belt off I am trying to balance on one leg to get my shoes on whilst my partner stops our trays falling off. Once again they stop the belt and we delay for at least 5 minutes whilst we put shoes belts watches on as no where to put our trays. Having checked on line knew zone B but still a long walk to get there to find since May they have stripped out most of the seats near the boarding gates and now about 20 seats at each gate we arrived an hour before boarding all seats full just after our arrival. Seems airport operators want you to stay the retail area and not sit around the boarding gates not a good option in my mind.

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th September 2012

Arriving was good a short wait for passport checks but otherwise efficient. Leaving was far less satisfactory the signing is very confusing the screen suggested we needed Terminal 2 a longish walk but having got there we found that with hand luggage only we had to go to the departure area in T3 - right next to where we came in. Having gone through security (5-10 minute wait) we found seating but when the gate was announced (over an hour before departure) it was a matter of standing around in a corridor through which passengers for other flights were trying to pass. Prices for drinks ranged from the outrageous to merely expensive - though not all shops charged the same so it's worth looking around (a bottle of water seemed to go from 1.60 to over 3).