Madrid Barajas Airport

"one is left lost"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | A beautiful T4, which I was longing to experience. The only problem I experienced, as is customary is airports in Spain, was understanding the signs. There are so many combinations of letters and numbers, that one is left lost. And in one case, as I had to rush given a delayed arrival and as I was in transit, I need to quickly figure out where I am going next.

"poor customer service"

Verified Review | I would like to start by saying how disorganized this airport is. When traveling from Paris to Miami I had a connecting flight in Madrid, they make you go through customs and there’s no line or control of the line. They only had 4 windows open. What security called a line was about 10 people next to me pushing each other in order to pass customs because everyone had a connecting flight. Security very rude and with poor customer service saying how we were all not going anywhere and how he had to listen to our complaints when it wasn’t his fault. When being told that my flight was in 15 minutes, he exclaimed how he had to go home too and he couldn’t prioritize anyone, if I miss my flight to complain with the flying company WOW! First of all I wouldn’t have missed my flight if you wouldn’t make the connecting flight pass through customs, secondly if you are going to do something like that at least make a line for the people that are having connecting flights only, and thirdly hire more people with customer service professionalism and more custom agents if you know your airport is that busy.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"no moving walkways or clear instructions"

Verified Review | We arrived and had to get to Gate A2 for a connecting flight. A2 was the farthest gate from where we landed. It was a 40 minute walk. There are no moving walkways or clear instructions. There are no golf carts to assist people who don't need wheelchair assistance but do need to get to their gate in time. Awful, outdated place.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"This place is around 10 years out of date"

Verified Review | Very inadequate for business travel. There is no Lufthansa lounge except for Gold Card holders, neither is there any adequate WiFi (unless you pay). Nowhere to plug in a laptop power supply - I tried the only 6 points I could find and all were faulty. This place is around 10 years out of date in terms of facilities. Check-in staff were great, access from the Metro was OK - but that's about all. Fortunately I don't need to travel to Madrid very often.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"one of the most confusing places"

Unverified | This airport is one of the most confusing places we have ever traveled to. We both travel a lot and this one takes the cake. Although the staff were friendly and attentive to moving us through lines as quickly as possible the sheer sized and poor communication of the airport made it difficult to navigate. Throughout our travels we were at the airport three times (turned into 4 after a cancelled flight) so by the end we got the hang of it. As I mentioned our flight out to the US was cancelled. The airline handled it well and got us rebooked the next day but because of the size of the airport we had to do a lot of walking between terminals and in and out of passport control. We are active people (in the Carnies for surfing) however some of our fellow travelers had mobility issues so the size and lack of transportation within the airport made it difficult for them to get around let alone get to the hotel shuttles on time from our cancelled flight. They do have wheelchairs available but no signs on how to get one and they are not plentiful. I think some golf carts like other airports use would be welcomed by travellers, especially since this is one of the largest airports in the world. The airport looked clean but all the bathrooms smelled like urine and our clothes and hands were filthy from the escalators and moving sidewalks.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"inadequate information for first time users"

Verified Review | A very large airport with inadequate information for first time users. I am an experienced traveller, and I was unaware of the policy of not making PA announcements for events like gate changes. Why does Madrid airport change this common practice? The information about no PA announcements needs to be written on a large sign in many languages throughout the departure areas. It is not adequate to announce it via the PA system. Experienced travellers are accustomed to listening for their flight number or destination and not listening to other announcements. My departure gate changed just before boarding, and this was only communicated by a small written announcement on the boarding gate screen - with a bright window behind the screen it was impossible to see the notification. For the first time in many airports around the World, I missed my flight because I was waiting at the wrong gate! I think this is partly the responsibility of the airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"very clean and organized"

(Spain)

Unverified | We used Madrid Terminal 4 and was very clean and organized. The signs easily indicated the way to the boarding gates. There weren't any queues at the security check, it was very fast and fluid. The architecture of the terminal is spectacular, great design.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"the crowds were incredible"

Verified Review | My wife and I were flying VCE-MAD-LAX on June 27, 2017. We arrived at MAD with two and a half hours to connect to our flight to LAX. We had to travel from terminal 4 to terminal 4s, which involved a lot of walking and a long train ride. It's a huge airport, but that wasn't the main problem. When we hit passport control the crowds were incredible! Honestly, I've traveled a lot in my life and I've never seen anything like it. The EU crowd lined up in one area, but the rest of us had to find our way to the end of a line that snaked around through several areas and looked like one massive crowd, and passengers from arriving flights kept pouring into the area. Some people were attempting to crowd into line, which led to conflict with those who had already stood in line for a long time, while others were simply doing their best to find the end of the line, which was no easy task. During our time waiting to reach passport control, I saw one or two airport officials, and they were doing absolutely nothing to help passengers find their way. Absolutely nothing! Long story short, we finally made it to passport control, and hurried straight to our gate, arriving five minutes before they started boarding our flight (remember-we had two and a half hours to connect). The airport wasn't like this when we transited there on June 12, but apparently is unable to handle the heavy summer traffic. That time we had an hour and a half to connect, but still missed our flight since our Iberia flight LAX-MAD arrived late. This is a beautiful, spacious airport (actually too spacious!), with lots of options for eating and shopping (which we were unable to enjoy). I could recommend transiting there, though in the future I would allow at least two hours between flights, and longer during the summer months.
Date VisitJune 2017

"unsatisfying customer service"

(Hong Kong)

Unverified | This airport has a rather unsatisfying customer service, particularly the information desk in terminal 4s, since the person who answered my inquiry seems not willing to reply to my questions, being shown by lack of eye contact and would rather wanted to be focused on her mobile. Moreover, there are not any post boxes in the terminal which made my journey quite unpleasant. Overall, not really having a great time there.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"a hard place to navigate across"

(New Zealand)

Unverified | Madrid - Complicated airport. I thought I had seen the worst airport in the world but no Madrid takes that honour. Go round in circles looking for their lottery system of gates, shocking, but first you have to get to transfer or connection. Very unclear, thank goodness we had time enough to suss it out. Staff asked us if we had Spanish language then ignored us if we had none. One other traveller summed it up saying the departure boards are like Bingo, they change so quickly. We managed a quck bite to eat, but really it's a hard place to navigate across. In transit to La Corunna this has been a most challenging airport.
Date VisitJuly 2017