Top 100 Airlines

Madrid Barajas Airport

"the most confusing journey through a terminal"

Verified Review | It's hard to imagine why someone designed an airport like this. From the moment we disembarked the plane this was the most confusing journey through a terminal that I've ever experienced. At no point did I see signage indicating either what terminal or what floor I was on. We wandered around for well over an hour trying to find our lounge. There was an interactive information screen with half the options blanked out. We approached a staff member for assistance and were very rudely told to consult the screen and that it wasn't her job to help. She refused to engage in conversation despite polite and desperate requests for help. We thankfully eventually encountered someone who some decency and sense of humanity. My boarding pass issued from Bilbao said Terminal 4 and boarding from HJK but upon consulting the information screens found we'd been moved to T4S. I've never once experienced an actual terminal change. Sure it was glossy and spacious, but with a tonne of empty gates, 2 flights worth of people joining us in that bizarre purgatory, only about 8 vending machines and not a single open cafe in 4S for sustenance I have no idea why someone felt it necessary to build a huge unused space. I am now highly anxious about our remaining flight to and from this awful airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"if you have alternatives avoid this place"

(Portugal)

One, if not the, most confusing airports there is. Arrived with 2 hour transit and information screens displayed that our next flight was due to depart from the satellite terminal. Absolutely no indication what this meant and when asking a membet of staff was told that "my job is not to provide information". Ended up following the flow of people, taking a subway train only then to find information which told us to go back on the train requiring us to pass through security again. Almost an hour wasted. You also walk through a latge duty free shopping area and are bombarded by staff. Its like a Turkish bazaar, but not pleasant. Food halls are also low on choice and expensive. Also dont try to speak english to any staff. You will get no-where. If you have alternatives avoid this place. (I am a frequent flyer taking 40+ flights a year over the past 20 years. This is the worst airport I have had the displeasure of visiting).
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"very, very confusing"

I recently had to use Madrid as a transit airport on a flight from Brussels to Banjul. I had read some information before I went, but not thorough. It was my opinion based on some 15 years of flying that all airports have a simple system of guiding you to where you should go - in most cases the check-in counters at the departure floor. Be aware that Madrid has some 4 terminals, with 1 sub-terminal (4S). Decent routing signs do not exist and staff are not present or unwilling to explain things properly to you. So you have to find out a lot yourself: the way to the shuttlebus, and once in terminal 4 the train to 4s (after check-in has been done in 4). Very, very confusing. When I returned from Banjul I thought that I understood how it works, but this time I could not find the check-in counters 400+. They are at a completely different location than 100-300. Luckily enough I had plenty of time for the transfer - count at least for 3-4 hours to get to your flight connection. Something else: in no airport in the world have I ever had the experience of having to pay for a baggage carrier. You already guess: in Madrid you have to buy a coin for 1 Euro to get one. A big nuisance.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"airport logistics are awful"

(Italy)

The airport logistics are awful. We were due to transit to Madrid starting from Milan with final destination Lanzarote. Inbound and outband gates were miles away and information screens were light years away from gates as well. Our returning flight to Milan suddenly disappeared from the screen. No information from anyone for minutes. After a while, we discovered the flight was delayed one hour and more, gate moved elsewhere. Zero attention to customers rights, passengers treated like lemmings.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"large, clean airport"

Large, clean airport - friendly staff. Great architecture - aesthetically pleasing. Seemed to have a good range of services even though did not access those. Wi-Fi was "pay for use". Difficult for people with disability not severe enough to request wheelchair. The current trend of big airport terminals with long stretches with satellite terminals like T4 of Madrid Bajaras (T5 of London Heathrow, Qatar airport, Dubai Airport etc.) is bad for people with back pain, arthritis etc. Great for young fit people, but can be difficult for family with small kids to manage, middle aged and elderly etc.
Date VisitJune 2016

"not too crowded"

My first time in Madrid Airport. The airport is very clean and not too crowded. But I am travelling for work, and while waiting for boarding in terminal 4S, apart from the vending machines, there is a complete lack of service in terms of plugs or table. The Wi-Fi is complicated to use, and the free option very limited. Frustrating if you can't afford it.
Date VisitJune 2016

"shopping is good"

(Spain)

The bathrooms at Madrid Barajas smell okay but not so clean. Terminal signs and directions are excellent, queuing times are good. Seats are not available for all passengers at the gate for large airplane or two boardings are held at the same time in two consecutive gates. WiFi for free for half an hour. Airport staff are rarely seen. Duty free shopping is good in terms of variety and staff. Coolers are next to bathroom for cold water.
Date VisitApril 2016

"would have missed the flight"

As my husband cannot walk very far we booked airport assistance. We checked in and made our way (which wasn't far) to the assistance booth. So far so good. We were then taken through check in, security, police, etc all good. We then go to the area allocated for those needing airport assistance. There were a few other travellers there and quite a few airport staff, coming and going with other passengers. We were quite early so went to get a coffee. On our return no airport staff were there. We thought they would come back soon but as time went by our boarding time of 3.55pm came (our flight was 4.35pm) at 4.05 with no one there, we had to make our own way to the gate, fortunately it was quite close. When we got to the gate half the passengers were already boarded, if the gate had been any further away we would have missed the flight. I am disgusted with the service we received.
Date VisitMay 2016

"issues both times we had to transit"

Madrid airport is beautiful, but staff are incompetent. The terminal shuttle train was down and they had no plan for what to do. We stood in line for over 30 minutes before they sent shuttles to take us to the other terminal. We missed our connecting flight, which was not delayed even though the majority of its passengers were not on the plane. The line to book a new flight was 3 hours long because everyone missed their flight and the staff were very slow. We had issues going through this airport both times we had to transit. Will not be traveling through this airport again.
Date VisitMay 2016

"fail to get the basics right"

Really poor signage. Departure boards indicate that your flight leaves from the "Satellite Terminal" but then there are no signs to tell you which of the three gate areas that is. You have to pass through passport control even when you're just in international transit. Women's bathrooms are poorly designed. A shame because in some ways it's a nice, light, airy terminal - but they fail to get the basics right.
Date VisitApril 2016