Madrid Barajas Airport

"a hard place to navigate across"

(New Zealand)

Unverified | Madrid - Complicated airport. I thought I had seen the worst airport in the world but no Madrid takes that honour. Go round in circles looking for their lottery system of gates, shocking, but first you have to get to transfer or connection. Very unclear, thank goodness we had time enough to suss it out. Staff asked us if we had Spanish language then ignored us if we had none. One other traveller summed it up saying the departure boards are like Bingo, they change so quickly. We managed a quck bite to eat, but really it's a hard place to navigate across. In transit to La Corunna this has been a most challenging airport.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"wouldn't choose a connection under 90 minutes"

Connected in Madrid both outbound and inbound from US to France on Iberia. Due to late arrival from US, inbound connection shrank to 60 minutes from 75. We landed at farthest gate in terminal 4S. There were staff waiting with "Express Connection" tags for people with tight connections, although they didn't tell us how to use them. I began rushing down the very long terminal to the train to Terminal 4. I ran some and walked very fast in other places. When I waved my express tag they sent me to a specific (unmarked) passport desk, however all the passport lines were short. Then it was down several escalators (slightly confusing) to the train. Despite what the airport website says, we had a six minute wait in a steamy station for the train. The terminals are farther apart than they are in Denver or Atlanta, so the train ride seems long. Then it was up some escalators to security, where the express tag seemed to have no meaning, but thankfully the lines were short, then a dash to the gate to the France flight, about halfway down the terminal. I arrived, very sweaty, as they were boarding. I made the connection in 30 minutes with no lines and a fair amount of running. Even with the moving sidewalks, there are some very long distances in terminal 4 and 4S, especially if your gate is at the end of the building. Flights arriving in CRJs on Air Nostrum will be at the end of Terminal 4. On the return flight, I had a lot more time. The airport is nice and light and the Iberia lounges are nice, but I wouldn't choose an Iberia connection with under 90 minutes.
Date VisitMay 2017

"T1 to T2 is a labyrinth of tunnels"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | The Iberia terminal at Madrid Barajas is the good news if you fly Iberia. If not (and that was my case), going from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 is a labyrinth of tunnels and is better be prepared for a 30 minute walk. You will walk, and go up and down stairs and walk again, and if the passport control only has 2 staff working take an anti-stress.
Date VisitMay 2017

"staff need lessons in basic customer service"

This is one of the most unfriendly airports with the rudest staff. They really do not care at all and seem to be trained to just say "Sorry" no matter what you ask them. They change gates with no explanation. Going from one gate to the other takes 30 minutes if you are lucky to get the train on time. I would not recommend this airport and think the staff need lessons in basic customer service. Passengers are not sheep. They are customers.
Date VisitMay 2017

"yet another change of gate"

Verified Review | This airport is huge. I flew from London Heathrow to Madrid and back on a booking with BA (Iberia is the carrier). For my return flight from Madrid, my boarding pass said Gate H which is about 25 mins walking. So I go to gate H and wait for the exact gate number. Then gate changes to S51 (which is in the T4 satellite - 27 mins away via shuttle train). So I get over to S51. Then the boarding gate info goes blank and after a while there is a further change of gate to U9 - that's right - another 27 mins back to where I came from. Then - wait for it - yet another change of gate to R2 (back in T4 satellite) which is another 27 mins and finally caught plane that was delayed by around an hour. All in all, I cleared customs five times, went through full security twice and walked back and fore for around 2 hours. Not a single member of staff from BA or Iberia around to explain or apologise. Not even a free bottle of water on the plane. Nothing. Same happened last time I flew from Madrid.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"terminal is clean and is not crowded"

As for Terminal 4 (T4) Internet is good. There are several options for good food. Nice shops. The terminal is clean and is not crowded. Iberia has also a nice lounge, sometimes a bit crowded. Overall, is very good. Now, if you leave T4, then its a different story. The old terminals are old and the signaling is bad.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"the most welcoming airport"

(Romania)

Verified Review | Madrid Barajas Airport was surprisingly uncrowded at arrival time (2 September 11.45am). No documents control (arrived from Frankfurt), luggage fast on belt, than going directly to T2 Metro station. Corridors spotless clean, good signage, everything was perfect. We didn't need to use airport facilities, so no comment about it. In this situation, Barajas is the most welcoming airport I've ever seen.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"airport staff quite friendly"

(Spain)

This review is mainly for terminal 4. The airport is easy to access by car, bus and train. Between the terminal also running frequent buses. Check-in is easy and airport staff quite friendly. It is quite easy to find around. Security staff are friendly. After security there are some small places to buy drinks or food.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"avoid this like the plague"

Verified Review | I have been a business traveler for 20 years. I know what is permissible in hand luggage. The staff at security at Madrid Barajas confiscated a small pair of children's scissors from my hand luggage despite the blades shorter the permitted length and the edges rounded. For 10 years those scissors passed through countless airports in Europe, North and South America, Africa, Asia, even the Middle East. But no, for the overzealous staff at Terminal 2 Barajas they were deemed too dangerous. And don't get me started on the rude attitude. Avoid this airport like the plague. Shame on all of them for this appalling attitude.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"the most confusing journey through a terminal"

Verified Review | It's hard to imagine why someone designed an airport like this. From the moment we disembarked the plane this was the most confusing journey through a terminal that I've ever experienced. At no point did I see signage indicating either what terminal or what floor I was on. We wandered around for well over an hour trying to find our lounge. There was an interactive information screen with half the options blanked out. We approached a staff member for assistance and were very rudely told to consult the screen and that it wasn't her job to help. She refused to engage in conversation despite polite and desperate requests for help. We thankfully eventually encountered someone who some decency and sense of humanity. My boarding pass issued from Bilbao said Terminal 4 and boarding from HJK but upon consulting the information screens found we'd been moved to T4S. I've never once experienced an actual terminal change. Sure it was glossy and spacious, but with a tonne of empty gates, 2 flights worth of people joining us in that bizarre purgatory, only about 8 vending machines and not a single open cafe in 4S for sustenance I have no idea why someone felt it necessary to build a huge unused space. I am now highly anxious about our remaining flight to and from this awful airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2016