Madrid Barajas Airport

"A nightmare"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | A nightmare! Only the fact, that this was the first Airport I have been to, where Smoking is absolutely and everywhere prohibited makes this airport to a zero-rated one. But, that's not all. At the entrance of terminal 4 you can still read the Label: "Smoking is everywhere prohibited except for the espacially designated Areas". So you go in, and hope that there are designated areas, where you are allowed to smoke. Well, there aren't any! So custemers will even be cheated and mis-informed! Well done, lazy staff! Take that label off at the entrance at least!
Date VisitMarch 2018

"pretty easy to find the way around"

Trip Verified | The terminal I departed from was very nice and pretty new. It was pretty easy to find the way around. I was in Madrid for a long transit and checked at the check in that my bags were still going with me, which the airline confirmed. After security check and immigration I had to go to a satellite where there was a train. Overall everything was pretty ok. However when I arrived at the destination I didn’t get my bags as I was told that the handling in Madrid has been messed up.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"arrival in Madrid was very quick"

Trip Verified | The arrival in Madrid was very quick. The airport is very big but it has signs so you can easily find your way out. The terminal Lufthansa arrived to wasn’t the nicest one since there are three different terminals and it’s not very easy to connect if you have the next flight from another terminal.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"light, modern and spacious airport"

Trip Verified | I flew in and out of Barajas four times in two weeks. It's quite a light, modern and spacious airport. There are a lot of flights of escalators to negotiate so if you see a lift/elevator I would take it. On my way to Bogota I stopped off at the foreign exchange bureau and was offered 2300 Colombian Pesos for per Euro. The visa exchange rate, i.e., the amount you would receive from an ATM in Colombia was approx 3300 Pesos per Euro so a very disadvantageous rate at the airport. On the way home, the night before, I stayed at the NH Barajas, which is recommended but I regret taking a 6am breakfast at the hotel when there are so many eating opportunities at the airport. I arrived into Barajas on Saturday morning and got stuck in the electronic passport gates because I am too tall to be photographed by the camera! A message popped up on the screen to say someone would be with me shortly, however all the booths were unmanned so nobody came but eventually, the machine's gates released me!
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"staff helpful and polite"

(Guatemala)

Trip Verified | Madrid Barajas Airport is big. I arrived 4S terminal. From 4S to terminal 4 have train (automatic mover) very clean and good sign. Terminal 4 is also very clean and has lot of shops. That’s good for spending time. Staff are very helpful and polite. Enough seats at all gates. Free wifi is working well.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Queuing times very fast"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | My experience with the airport was very positive. The signs are very clear. Queuing times very fast. The Terminal 4 was very clean and the seats comfortable. The Duty Free was great: a wide choice of products at convenient and affordable prices. The airport staff were very helpful and kind. The Wi-Fi was free and fast.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"one is left lost"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | A beautiful T4, which I was longing to experience. The only problem I experienced, as is customary is airports in Spain, was understanding the signs. There are so many combinations of letters and numbers, that one is left lost. And in one case, as I had to rush given a delayed arrival and as I was in transit, I need to quickly figure out where I am going next.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"poor customer service"

Verified Review | I would like to start by saying how disorganized this airport is. When traveling from Paris to Miami I had a connecting flight in Madrid, they make you go through customs and there’s no line or control of the line. They only had 4 windows open. What security called a line was about 10 people next to me pushing each other in order to pass customs because everyone had a connecting flight. Security very rude and with poor customer service saying how we were all not going anywhere and how he had to listen to our complaints when it wasn’t his fault. When being told that my flight was in 15 minutes, he exclaimed how he had to go home too and he couldn’t prioritize anyone, if I miss my flight to complain with the flying company WOW! First of all I wouldn’t have missed my flight if you wouldn’t make the connecting flight pass through customs, secondly if you are going to do something like that at least make a line for the people that are having connecting flights only, and thirdly hire more people with customer service professionalism and more custom agents if you know your airport is that busy.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"no moving walkways or clear instructions"

Verified Review | We arrived and had to get to Gate A2 for a connecting flight. A2 was the farthest gate from where we landed. It was a 40 minute walk. There are no moving walkways or clear instructions. There are no golf carts to assist people who don't need wheelchair assistance but do need to get to their gate in time. Awful, outdated place.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"This place is around 10 years out of date"

Verified Review | Very inadequate for business travel. There is no Lufthansa lounge except for Gold Card holders, neither is there any adequate WiFi (unless you pay). Nowhere to plug in a laptop power supply - I tried the only 6 points I could find and all were faulty. This place is around 10 years out of date in terms of facilities. Check-in staff were great, access from the Metro was OK - but that's about all. Fortunately I don't need to travel to Madrid very often.
Date VisitOctober 2017