Madrid Barajas Airport

"no announcements are ever made"

Not Verified | Terminal 1 is the most un-user friendly airport I have ever been in. Very rude security staff. The only place in Europe where it is 90mls and not 100mls for carry on fluids. Although there are no signs to advise, iPads and phones have to each have a separate container to go through the scanners, I had to go back and forward 4 times as no one was very helpful or able to tell me that each electronic device had to go through separately. Departure gates change all the time and no announcements are ever made so you have to constantly watch the screens. Signs for the toilets are not visible and are through duty free. Out of the four vending machines only one was working. There were no food or drink outlets. The security staff should be made to go on a customer service course and I hope they enjoyed my 100ml pates that I had bought as gifts!
Date VisitMay 2018

"airport is also extremely uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience! I had booked an early flight on Air Portugal to Marrakesh (via Lisbon) so my fellow travelers and I could spend the day in Marrakesh before leaving on a three-day tour early the next morning. The connecting flight was delayed, and delayed, and delayed - despite repeated questions, the airport personnel would not provide any useful information about the problem. When it became clear (through our own research) that we would never make our flight in Lisbon, we tried to retrieve our bags so we could book a later flight on another airline. The line to change our tickets moved incredible slowly, of the three people behind the counter only one appeared to know what she was doing. Several people behind us in line left in frustration. We finally got our flight changed and managed to get food vouchers since we would end up spending 15 hours in the airport, but TAP failed to remove one of our bags from the original flight and apparently had no idea where it was. We couldn't even file a complaint to start the process of locating the missing luggage until we arrived in Marrakesh, so there's very little chance of retrieving it before our trip is over. We had to wait two more hours until we could check in for our new flight, and for one of our travelers TAP failed to indicate that we had already paid for a checked bag. She was forced to pay a 60 euro fee and will have to file a complaint in hopes of getting it refunded. With the exception of one employee, the Air Portugal staff were uniformly rude and unhelpful - they lied to our face on at least one occasion. The airport is also extremely uncomfortable, with no feasible places to sleep in Terminals 1 or 2.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Worst airport for arrival"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Worst airport for arrival. We arrived from an EU country, so we don’t have to pass passport control. We were driving for twenty minutes in a bus and then we had to wait for our luggage for a record breaking 45 minutes. Airport personnel were absolutely useless as they don’t speak any language except Spanish. No smoking Lounges available anywhere in this airport.

"basically harassing us"

Not Verified | I have been waiting a very long time to pass security screening and I have pressed the red sad face button of the service rating stand. One member of the staff started asking me questions in Spanish on the lines of why did you press that. I told him I don't speak Spanish and continued to walk. He kept walking after me asking questions, in Spanish both to me and my boyfriend who is Spanish and responded we don't want to participate in his survey if that is what he's trying to do. He kept on chasing us down the terminal asking why we don't want to talk to him, basically harassing us when it was clear we were not willing to answer him. I stopped, turn around and asked him to stop following and harassing us. He concluded shouting after us that we were badly educated. Dear Airport, your staff, working in an international airport, wanting to take surveys should speak English or any other language other than Spanish! If I want to take part in your survey I will, if I chose not to, your staff should not insist. I am not answering questions because I am being coerced. Also asking me 100 times the same question who had a no answer the first time, would not make me change my mind!
Date VisitMay 2018

"They were no help at all"

Trip Verified | Worst airport experience ever! I was traveling with my family to Milan and had to transfer in Madrid. When we arrived the airplane landed on the runway, and there was no assistance for the elderly or people in need. We had to drag our luggage down the metal staircases with no help from the Iberia crew. We requested a wheelchair for my mother, but there was no sign or directions from the crew, again! Finally we were directed to get on the bus, and were told that the wheelchair would be at the entrance of the airport. Once we got there, 10 crew members were hanging around the wheelchair area, but we were told that there was nothing that they could do for us because we had “aparently” taken the wrong bus, and not the “proper wheelchair” bus. They were no help at all! Long story short - After two disorganized check in points, terrible airport signage, and no assistance from multiple airport staff members, we somehow made it to our gate. Just for the Iberia crew to close the door in our faces and missed our flight. Needless to say we were extremely disappointed with the entire staff and airport experience. Advise for airport management - Please hire people who care about the customers, fix the airport signs to be user friendly, get organized, and ensure Iberia has better standards. After all they are your nations airline.

"A nightmare"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | A nightmare! Only the fact, that this was the first Airport I have been to, where Smoking is absolutely and everywhere prohibited makes this airport to a zero-rated one. But, that's not all. At the entrance of terminal 4 you can still read the Label: "Smoking is everywhere prohibited except for the espacially designated Areas". So you go in, and hope that there are designated areas, where you are allowed to smoke. Well, there aren't any! So custemers will even be cheated and mis-informed! Well done, lazy staff! Take that label off at the entrance at least!
Date VisitMarch 2018

"pretty easy to find the way around"

Trip Verified | The terminal I departed from was very nice and pretty new. It was pretty easy to find the way around. I was in Madrid for a long transit and checked at the check in that my bags were still going with me, which the airline confirmed. After security check and immigration I had to go to a satellite where there was a train. Overall everything was pretty ok. However when I arrived at the destination I didn’t get my bags as I was told that the handling in Madrid has been messed up.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"arrival in Madrid was very quick"

Trip Verified | The arrival in Madrid was very quick. The airport is very big but it has signs so you can easily find your way out. The terminal Lufthansa arrived to wasn’t the nicest one since there are three different terminals and it’s not very easy to connect if you have the next flight from another terminal.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"light, modern and spacious airport"

Trip Verified | I flew in and out of Barajas four times in two weeks. It's quite a light, modern and spacious airport. There are a lot of flights of escalators to negotiate so if you see a lift/elevator I would take it. On my way to Bogota I stopped off at the foreign exchange bureau and was offered 2300 Colombian Pesos for per Euro. The visa exchange rate, i.e., the amount you would receive from an ATM in Colombia was approx 3300 Pesos per Euro so a very disadvantageous rate at the airport. On the way home, the night before, I stayed at the NH Barajas, which is recommended but I regret taking a 6am breakfast at the hotel when there are so many eating opportunities at the airport. I arrived into Barajas on Saturday morning and got stuck in the electronic passport gates because I am too tall to be photographed by the camera! A message popped up on the screen to say someone would be with me shortly, however all the booths were unmanned so nobody came but eventually, the machine's gates released me!
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"staff helpful and polite"

(Guatemala)

Trip Verified | Madrid Barajas Airport is big. I arrived 4S terminal. From 4S to terminal 4 have train (automatic mover) very clean and good sign. Terminal 4 is also very clean and has lot of shops. That’s good for spending time. Staff are very helpful and polite. Enough seats at all gates. Free wifi is working well.