Vote Now

Macau Airport

"staff were unable to understand me"

(China)

Verified Review | I arrived at Macau from Beijing on the way to Vietnam (layover of 6 hours). I found the staff who were waiting by the luggage were unable to understand me and so finding out whether I would have to collect my luggage or not became a huge issue. I then went to the currency exchange who were not rude, but extremely utilitarian and peeved that I did not wish to change a larger quantity of money. Exiting the airport throws you out onto a road where roadworks are being undertaken making it difficult for you to walk. On returning to take my onward flight, there was no order as to where I (or anyone else) should go to queue to check-in and no-one understood enough English to explain. The guy blocking my entrance to the customs area made an enormous issue out of me not having a slip of paper (that I did not need!) and held me up for ages. The teenagers who were undertaking the customs search and bag check were extremely rude, the x-ray area was very busy with people grabbing, pushing and snatching their items from the outlet of the x-ray. I refused to leave my personal effects (where literally all my money / phone / passport) was all piled into the same plastic box in order to walk several metres away out of sight of my bag in order to be searched. The agent shouted at me several times to go over to be searched and I refused repeatedly (I'm not normally pushy, but gut feeling was all wrong here), he continued to shout and point "camera, camera, camera" until eventually he snatched my bag and dumped it on the floor by the area I was to be searched in and then snarled at me "Happy now! You happy now?" I politely replied that I was happy now and he shouted / pointed / talked with the rest of his colleagues who basically kept their heads down, not even looking at him. Drinks and food were expensive in Pacific Coffee and the staff at the Information Desk unhelpful when asked about my delayed flight - they didn't seem to know which gate it had been altered to board at or when. From there Macau Airport was less eventful apart from someone disconnecting my nearly finished charging bank to connect his mobile phone to it (the charging bank). If I hadn't been stood directly behind him at the the time, I believe he would have stolen it. My flight was also delayed but I'm guessing that's nothing to do with the airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"this airport is decent"

(Philippines)

Verified Review | This airport is decent. It's not that bad but it's not that nice either. The comfort rooms are nice. The duty free only has a few shops. What I don't like about this airport is that the salesladies are just rude. They speak to me in Chinese because I look Chinese but I don't understand Chinese, I asked them how to use their product and they just say huh? I've encountered many of them and almost all that I've encountered are the same. They speak in a rude manner knowing that I'm their customer who spends a lot on things. I guess it's their loss that I didn't buy from them. The airport is neat with only little trash.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"left me feeling annoyed until my flight arrived"

(Philippines)

Not sure if this is one of the busiest times of the year but there was quite a line thru security check. Mortified that they asked me to actually drop my passport on the tray to go under the scanner. T'was still fine until I was waiting to get my things from the belt when I was ushered away to do a body check. Understood it might've been because I was wearing a jacket but it took too long that I was afraid for my handbag and passport left on the tray while a lot of people have already passed through the security check. Good thing my mom recognized my things and grabbed it. But it was frustrating and left me feeling annoyed until my flight arrived.
Date VisitOctober 2016

(Philippines)

A decent little airport overall. Facilities are mostly adequate it is quite spacious the air conditioning is fine the smoking rooms tolerable and the toilets clean. It could do with more restaurants as the main one has little variety on the menu (although the food is good). Getting to and from the airport is not a problem.

(Taiwan)

A nice little airport. In summer it would have been fine but on this night (I was only there for visa requirements from Taiwan) it was a freezing 9 degrees outside and the terminal offered little respite. The cleaning machines were strangely comforting and while the airport doesn't have too many overnight dwellers it could do with a snack/coffee bar that is open all night. Everything else was fine it could just use either a lounge (I had heard of one but I think this was just airside) or some double layer entry points (to limit heat loss) or some heating just for the few months that Macau may need it. Perhaps the airport could work with some of the nearby hotels/casinos to accommodate transit passengers - that would make for a more memorable night than just freezing on an airport seat! As with its neighbour HK it could also use some form of budget accommodation but that's Macau generally not a fault of the airport.

(Thailand)

A quiet little airport by international standards. Unlimited free wi-fi that actually worked. No queues whatsoever at either immigration or security (and all staff were polite and pleasant). Plenty of chairs in the departure lounge. A large free charging station to recharge your laptop and phones etc. Just enough duty free shops to keep any shopper happy. A reasonably priced fast-food restaurant with waitress service. To be honest what was not to like?

(Macau)

Airport was renovated inside. Airport food was overpriced and tasted awful. Airport shopping very unfortunately priced normally duty-free shops should sell stuff cheaper than normal city price but they just jack up the price for last-minute shoppers. Taxi queue from the airport is often ridiculous I had to wait for an hour to get one. Because the drivers know that taxis are scarce they try to jack up the price too. I would use Hong Kong airport and take the ferry because Macau Airport has so much to improve on.

(Indonesia)

Macau airport (MFM) is clearly overshadowed by Hong Kong Airport (HKG). HKG is modern spacious has full-fledged amenities and flights to virtually everywhere MFM is small aged boring and has strictly limited flights. It's a pretty straightforward airport you arrive in the airport check-in pass immigration proceed to the waiting room and get onto the plane. There are a few duty-free shops but everything is pricey with nothing much to offer. Nothing to complain about though staff are courteous and facilities while basic work properly. Less traffic also means less crowded - for transit flight is highly unlikely to happen in this airport so it's devoid of flood of transit-passengers common in bigger airports - and all procedures are smooth and efficient.

Macau Airport customer review

Small airport and easy to go through immigration and customs. Only problem is the cabs outside dont want to go to the neighbouring Cota ferry terminal. They want passengers to go all the way to the Macau HK ferry terminal in the city which triples the time and cab fare.