Lyon Airport

"30 mins queuing"

Trip Verified | Despite the new terminal the lack of personnel at passport control in Lyon upon arrival still leaves much to be desired. 30 mins queuing for one passport booth for EU citizens whilst the queue for non EU citizens was moving faster and with two booths open! Madness. Get it together Lyon!
Date VisitDecember 2017

"always a bad time"

Trip Verified | With 50 airports to my credit, I can say that the one in Lyon is certainly one of the worst. In addition to being incredibly badly done, everything is overpriced, it is filthy and nothing works, the staff is choked, lazy, uncomfortable and highly incompetent. Especially the staff of Aviapartner, no matter what your request, it is "we do not" and you disturb them, they will let you know, I never saw that, bewildering. His reputation precedes him around the world, always a bad time | Avec une cinquantaine d'aéroports à mon actif, je peux dire que celui de Lyon est certainement un des pires. Outre le fait qu'il soit incroyablement mal fait, tout y est excessivement cher, qu'il soit d'une saleté sans nom et que rien ne fonctionne, le personnel y est poussif, fainéant, désagréable et hautement incompétent. En particulier le staff d'Aviapartner, peu importe votre demande, c'est "on fait pas" et vous les dérangez, ils vous le feront savoir, jamais je n'ai vu cela, ahurissant. Sa réputation le précède à travers le monde, toujours un mauvais moment.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"whole experience was extremely stressful"

Verified Review | We booked easyjet flight EZY2426 departing 14.50pm on Thursday 26th October with Special Assistance for my husband. Our taxi delivered us to the airport at 11am. Check in staff told us we could not check in until 12.50pm - 2 hours before departure. We checked in at the specified time and requested the special assistance, which I believe is administered by Samic. A wheelchair arrived to take us to Security and the person pushing the wheelchair left us there. The female Security staff were abrupt, unfriendly and rude and treated my 80 year old husband in a wheelchair like a suspected criminal. He was stripped of his shoes, belt, cardigan and socks and physically patted down. This was uncomfortable and humiliating for him. We travel frequently and have never been treated so badly. Nobody spoke English. We speak reasonable French but the staff chose not to understand. I felt sorry for a woman travelling with her elderly, disabled Mother who had a CPAP breathing machine - the same model my husband checked through Security. His went through ok, but she was made to unpack the whole thing and each piece was put laboriously through the X-ray machine which then stopped working. Finally we were cleared to go, but there was nobody to push the wheelchair. I had the luggage so could not do it myself. A man who worked for Samic continuously shouted loudly into his mobile phone. We waited several more minutes but nobody came to collect us. I then spotted the original assistant who helped us, but he disappeared again. I approached the shouting man who pretended not to understand that I was asking when someone would come to collect us He spoke in French to the effect that he had other people to deal with and we had to be patient. The clock in the meantime was ticking. More minutes passed and I saw a "Manager" passing through. He spoke English and I explained we were concerned we might miss our flight. He made a call and assured us that Special Assistance would come soon. Finally a man appeared and we were taken to another holding area near a lift. Then he left. We waited and waited. The gate closing time of 14.20pm had passed. I was getting more anxious as were the 4 other people travelling to different destinations. No information, nobody came. We just had to wait and hope someone would appear. At 14.45pm we were taken to another place where we had to wait for the ambi lift as my husband cannot climb the aircraft steps. It was now 14.50pm - the time the plane was due to depart. We finally boarded the aircraft at 14.55pm believing we must be the last passengers to board instead of the first, but the attendant said that 36 passengers were still missing - delayed by the long queues at passport control. They eventually boarded and the aircraft took off over 30 minutes late. The whole experience was extremely stressful. We will think twice before using this airport again. Disfunctional, rude staff with no sense of urgency, poor organisation and chaotic passport control. The Chief Executive of Lyons airport should review the performance of the Special Assistance company and/or employ a more effective provider. Some Security staff need customer service training, and queues in Passport Control are delaying passengers trying to board. So staffing is a problem there. Truly shocking customer service and experience.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"treated very badly at the customs control"

Verified Review | I was treated very badly at the customs control, the lady simply refused to listen to me and did not speak English, only French. She was very rude and did not want to give her name. It is simply ridiculous that at an international Airport like Lyon there are no bilingual custom officers working. It was not my fault that my personal possessions had gone missing after it went trough the luggage scan.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"dysfunctional for several reasons"

Unverified | I spend summers in the area and land and depart from this airport. It is dysfunctional for several reasons: its size and layout incapable of handling nearly 10 millions yearly passengers, but mostly the carelessness and disregard of employees at the baggage control area. I’ll describe the latest incident that says it all. My wife has a metallic hip replacement that beeps whenever she goes through an airport detection device. After going through the device, she advises the security guard of her predicament, which usually prompts the guard to pass a hand-held detection device by her hip to confirm the origin of the beep. This has been our experience at many international airports we’ve gone through over the last 12 months including Orlando, Miami & Daytona Beach, Florida, Berlin, Germany, Barcelona and Seville, Spain, Charlottesville, North Carolina, and Bogotá, Colombia. In its infinite wisdom, the Saint Éxupéry Airport has a different procedure: When my wife’s hip triggered the beep, she had to remove her shoes, put them through the baggage scanning device, and walk through the device again. After the second beep, she had to go through the humiliating experience of being palpated throughout. When I asked why they don’t use a hand-held device instead of hands, their answer was “those are the rules” adding “that’s how it’s done anywhere in the world.” Then we walked towards passport control where there were at least 50 people standing waiting for someone to man the booths. After waiting about 15 minutes, I went back to baggage control to find out what caused the delay and was told, “that’s why you have to arrive 3 hours before your flight”.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Queues are everywhere"

Unverified | On arrival to Lyon in Terminal 1B there is nowhere to eat or get cash for the taxis outside. This is basic in comparison to trying to depart from this airport. On departure, don't be fooled by thinking that the new appearance of the airport means its efficient or an enjoyable place to be. By road you can see the airport for the 20 minutes it takes to drive the ring roads around but then you have to walk miles again to get to your terminal. Why aren't there shuttles? Queues are everywhere - five flights leaving our terminal around the same time yet the luggage screening and security sections had one belt open and one person checking the flagged luggage. You have to walk miles to get to anywhere in the airport. After walking 30 mins to our departure area there is one tiny place to eat which had five sandwiches. Not five types of sandwiches, just five actual sandwiches to feed over 300 people. Seating is few and far between and the wait for passport checks before boarding was an hour - bearing in mind our gate information only came up 50 minutes before take off. They had the capacity for six people to be checking passports yet they had two on shift. Again, five flights are leaving the airport and boarding at the same time. This of course, delayed our flight. The whole experience was frustrating and ridiculous.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"experience was a nightmare"

Verified Review | Flew from Lyon airport yesterday afternoon after a fantastic family holiday in The Alps. The experience was a nightmare starting with spiralling unorganised queues in departure lounge. Skeleton staff available to answer queries. The worst of all was the queue at airport police check. Queueing for one and half hours with 3 young kids, horrendous experience. It made no sense at all. Our flight then delayed for 1 hour due to this madness. Nice to arrive in Dublin airport to calm and order.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Appalling is the only thing I can say"

Verified Review | Worst experience ever, one hour queuing to get to print boarding pass, then another hour and a half to show my passport. I wanted to buy a present in the shop but no time left to go! Honestly was like a third world country and if I ever go to Lyon again I'll go by train. Appalling is the only thing I can say.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"staff have been very friendly"

Verified Review | I'm currently waiting in the departure area of Lyon Airport, having had a very nice cheese and ham baguette and a piece of cake and drink (just under 9 Euros). All staff have been very friendly and there have been no queues at passport or security. It is Tuesday afternoon so maybe it's just a quiet time at the airport. I really don't recognise the criticism of staff in other reviews. Even the woman running the Alto cafe alone, who is working her backside off, is still pleasant and able to smile at customers. If you want a greater choice of food, then eat in one of the consessions before you go through security. We were happier not taking the risk time-wise and were perfectly happy with our sandwich / cake combo airside.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Lyon Airport keeps disappointing"

Unverified | Sadly, Lyon Airport keeps disappointing with very poor passport control. Morning business flights leaving around 7 and no one mans the passport booths. People have to go through security then wait for border control to show up after their coffee break. I know border control is an independent authority from the airport but a minimum cooperation/service-level is required. What a shame for an already expensive and not very well planned airport, with long walking distances and poor transport connections.