Los Angeles LAX Airport

"the worst experience I have ever had"

Trip Verified | This is the worst experience I have ever had while flying/connecting internationally. And that is after I didn't think my horrible experiences at John F. Kennedy International Airport could ever be surpassed. But they did. At first, I was very pleasantly surprised at the immigration lines. The wait was much less than expected, the terminal is new and beautiful, lots of staff to direct travelers. But then the nightmare started: I was already prepared that my luggage would not make it because of a severe delay in arrival when connecting in Frankfurt, Germany. Frankly, I was completely at ease with that, I didn't mind, it is not the first time this has happened, and I usually pack accordingly. However, for some reason there was a delay in delivering everyone's luggage that did make it, to baggage claim. No biggie, I thought, I had 2.5 hours to connect after clearing immigration! There were multiple announcements overhead where they apologized for the delay in delivering the bags, that there was more luggage waiting to be delivered, and to absolutely not leave without the luggage as it would not be transferred automatically. Meanwhile, 1.5hours later, Aeroflot luggage arrived at the same carousel, not one announcement that the remaining Lufthansa luggage would be taken off the carousel on one end of the thing, or that there would not be anything else coming. I started to get nervous because we were now entering the time frame where I might have trouble connecting to my last leg (approx 45 min to go before departure) and asked for the tenth time, what the plan was. Finally someone found out that there was no further luggage to be had, and to start heading for my connecting gate. Lines through customs were nearly a (felt) mile by now. Luckily I was able to use the much shorter Global Entry lines. Then came the shocker. Since I had no luggage to be rechecked, because it didn't make it, a customer service representative directed me to my connecting flight. "Leave the terminal and hang a right to Terminal 7" he said. I left, only to turn around because there were no good signs where terminal 7 even was. He did not offer any further instructions. I started running/walking to Terminal 7. During the 20min it took to get to Terminal 6 there was not one single bus that passed me. I ended up hopping on the bus to take me to the last terminal, because I was running out of steam. And I don't consider myself unfit! Now at Terminal 7, I had to go through security again. Mind you, with all that until now, if I had not been able to take advantage of TSA Precheck, I would not have made my connection because on top of that the gate was the second to last in this Terminal as well. I know of at least 4 more people that would have needed to get on the same plane that did not make it. Never will I do this to myself again.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"it is absolutely disgusting"

Not Verified | I am sitting at gate 45 at the courtesy technology desk and it is absolutely disgusting - it honestly looks like it has not been wiped down in days! Come on - when someone empties the trash cans, please can someone come by and wipe down these desks! It is gross. No wonder people always get sick after they fly - they require cruise ships to have hand sanitizes posted around and they are always wiping down surfaces - what does LAX do to prevent the spread of diseases and protect travelers that come thru this airport?
Date VisitNovember 2017

"Where is the common sense"

Trip Verified | My departure from this airport was one of the worst I have every encountered. I have been stopped on many occasions when going through various security checks, mainly because I have jewellery which bleeps. I've never minded being questioned or having a general pat down, but the procedure I endured at LAX is absolutely beyond comprehension. I am a 72 year old woman, not that that makes any difference, but because of the bleep I was asked to wait in a separate area, and wait I did, for around 25 minutes, I only eventually got someone to do their job when I asked how much longer I would be kept waiting. The young woman advised me that I could go into a private room which I declined, thinking I was just having the "normal" pat down, how wrong could I be. It was humilating, legs apart this way, that way, her hands going down and around my waistband, whilst being watched by dozens of travellers. Where is the common sense, has it totally disappeared. I do realise you have a job to do, but this is ridiculous.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"most unfriendly customer service"

Trip Verified | Flew out of LAX Terminal 2 for an international flight (Virgin Atlantic to London). Going through security was the most unpleasant part of our travel experience at Terminal 2. It felt like TSA implements their strictest security checks and most unfriendly customer service for families traveling with little kids and baby food. After clearing security, we proceeded directly to the boarding gate and didn't find any space for us to sit. In contrast, the security agents at London Heathrow were very polite and helpful, and there was ample seating. Overall, I can't recommend LAX T2 for families traveling with little kids.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"not customer friendly at all"

Not Verified | Awful terminal configuration at Los Angeles LAX. Landing from one airline and having to transfer to another there is no shuttle. Have to go back thru security. Been flying to / from / thru LAX for 40 years. This trip is the last one. Going to fly thru Las Vegas from now on to final destination. And what genius decided that 5 bathroom stalls for an entire wing of the airport was a good idea? Major fail. LAX is a joke! Not customer friendly at all.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"all employees are inattentive"

Unverified | When arriving from an international flight an inattentive employee opened a security door causing a high pitched continuous beep to continue for 15 minutes. I thought my troubles were behind me now that I was returning home on a domestic flight, however I was sorely mistaken. I arrived for a 4.30 am flight at 2.30 am and was unable to check my bag until 3.30 am. The Southwest employees were late and rude. Without adding anything to my bag - their scales showed my checked bag was over by 3 pounds. After that issue was resolved I promptly went through security and off to my gate in terminal 1. About 15 minutes before my flight boarded at 4.15 am the same loud beeping from an inattentive airport employee who left a security gate open again continued until it was my turn to board my flight at 4.45. Now this issue seemed to be with Southwest - but overall all employees are inattentive to their own security rules. Why have travelers go through security when the airport employees disregard our safety, comfort, and clearly do not even value us as customers?

"Travelers deserve better"

Verified Review | What a mess. Bag drop in different terminal. Very long security lines. They screened my belt, smart phone and shoes twice. “Because they missed it”. All restaurants in terminal 2 gate 22 area were full with virtually no seating and gate also was very limited. My wife and I had to sit separately. Makes flying an awful experience. Travelers deserve better! Will avoid LAX in future.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"A nightmare of an airport"

Verified Review | A nightmare of an airport. I've frequently come through LAX to visit my daughter in Los Angeles. I arrived at 7.30pm last Wednesday on an Air New Zealand flight into Tom Bradley terminal. After clearing the electronic passport readers quite quickly my happiness turned to despair as I was forced to queue through secondary immigration for a further 2 hours. The official asked why I was here and when I replied to stay with my daughter and son in law he asked if I liked my son in law. I was in no mood for banter and ignored his question. He repeated it until I answered. It is like a third world airport with no clocks seating or clearly marked toilet areas. I was so long in immigration that my suitcase had been dumped on the floor next to the carousel. The staff are rude and the experience is enough to put you off using this terminal again. Absolutely horrible.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"lines for TSA were absolutely horrendous"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Overall, LAX has improved a lot over the past ten years. But, this time the lines for TSA were absolutely horrendous. The worst I have ever experienced. It was a 40 minute wait just to get to the screening area. This is unacceptable. This is mickey mouse. This is not making America great again. They could do a lot better. There were a lot of screening lanes closed. This is simply a lack of budget. This is very poor. Bad management. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Otherwise, the international section of this airport is pretty good. Once you get past the security.

"poorly-equipped for travellers"

(Philippines)

Verified Review | LAX Bradley is another US airport that is poorly-equipped for travellers. There are no clocks for travellers to know the time, insufficient number of seats, no seats and tables in the smoking area, no information desk, over-priced duty-free shops (all items are cheaper outside and no cellphone service. The so-called free wifi service is very largely non-existent. My advice is avoid LAX at all costs.
Date VisitOctober 2017