Los Angeles LAX Airport

"worst airport experienced"

Verified Review | Los Angeles is the worst airport I've ever experienced. Staff are rude, ignorant, and unable to provide any useful information at all. Information desk was antiquated with no computer screens in sight, and an equally antiquated staff member bought out some dusty old book with which she retrieved a whole lot of useless information and pointed me in the wrong direction. There was no useful signage for departure / check in, no information on baggage collection apart from one screen with very small writing that was displayed sideways (impossible to read). On more than one occasion recently I have found the security staff to be loud, bossy, obnoxious and clearly untrained in PR.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"JFK can take a lesson or two from LAX"

Verified Review | The TBIT terminal at LAX is great. On a NY to Sydney run, stopped off there. Good facilities and a great bookstore. Having lounge access makes such a difference. There was a delay to my departure and rather than return to the lounge went to have a look around. Plenty of seating, refreshment areas and stores to stock up on. TBIT is one of the two best terminals I visit (other being Terminal D at DFW). JFK can take a lesson or two from LAX and DFW.

"Poor old LAX"

(New Zealand)

Unverified | Poor old LAX: the heaving, antiquated, white elephant of US arrival points from the Pacific region. If you repeat to yourself for weeks in advance, "It's going to take three hours to get out of there" then, like me, you'll be fair chuffed with 1 hour and 45 minutes (50 minutes to reach the machines that you stick your passport and your fingers into, then another 55 to reach the immigration officer to show him your passport and stick your fingers into his little machine). On the bright side, your baggage has gone around 350 times before being removed by someone and placed at the side of the carousel, so no waiting there (unless someone else has walked off with it). There seems to be some kind of hierarchy, whereby the grumpiest, shoutiest staff welcome you from your plane and scream at you that you're an idiot for not queueing properly (maybe owing to the lack of signage?), the would-rather-be-somewhere-else-but-can-affect-caring-if-I-really-try staff help out at the electronic machines, while the immigration officer at the final desk is pleasant and friendly. Maybe it's a kind of Hunger Games / Battle Royale deal: survive each stage and you get to pass into the U.S. The arrivals terminal (Tom Bradley) is cramped and full, but because it's small it's easy to escape. Not sure I'd fancy transferring from it, though. Not without four hours up my sleeve. It's better than it was ten years ago though, and once you get out into LA's sunshine you can quickly forget it. Tip: arrive here directly from Shanghai Pudong, and you'll at least feel more like a human being than you would if you arrived here from Auckland, Changi, Narita, Hong Kong, Melbourne and Heathrow.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"transit system at this airport is ludicrous"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | The transit system at this airport is ludicrous, painful even. You climb off your plane after 10 hours from auckland, spend two hours progressing through an unnecessary security process, only to end up back at your plane again ready for another 11 hours to London. We had already been through a very thorough, professional security check in New Zealand. The queues were long and slow. Everyone was annoyed. The fingerprint scan was the final straw. How were they able to get this passed through law? I had not broken any US law, and yet they forced me to provide finger prints, which I am sure they were able to keep on record after I moved on. Where are my rights? Once we made it into the airport terminal we had 20 minutes to buy some food - 15 of which I spent in a queue watching one woman serve a line of 20 people while her manager stood watching. So we made it to the plane hungry, annoyed and sore from walking around. There is no money in the world that would convince me to pass through this airport again.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"difficult to discern the terminal"

Verified Review | Extraordinarily poorly handled transition from international to domestic transfer. English is my first language and I am a competent and fit adult. I still found it difficult to discern the terminal and make the connecting flight. The claiming baggage merely to check it again and try to figure out where to go was awful. An embarrassment to our country for foreign visitors.
Date VisitJune 2017

"it was a terrible experience"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Had an involuntary layover here. Overall it was a terrible experience. The building itself looks like a reminiscent from the 80s and signs lack clarity. Furthermore, this airport is supposed to be among the busiest in the world. Yet I couldn't find any place open past 1am. Even considerably smaller airports have far better service than this one. At the very least I consider it justified to expect that one would be able to purchase snacks from a vending machine 24 hours at a major international airport. Well, not at LAX.
Date VisitJune 2017

"very few seats"

Los Angeles LAX is seriously the worst airport I have ever been to. There are very few seats, people are all sitting on the ground waiting. There are a few shops where you can get food with very long lines. I never thought we would experience an airport like this in America. It really is a shame.
Date VisitMay 2017

"no signage to guide the way"

Horrible airport, had a connecting flight with less than an hour layover. Had to traverse from terminal 2 to 8. Basically no signage to guide the way, had to ask random ticketing agents for help (who were nice), but we had to leave the terminal, exiting security, go out to the street, hop on a shuttle (might have been faster to hail a cab) which only took us to terminal 5, then walked/ran to get to the security line, and had to go through screening again. In my rush and frustration however, I had forgotten that in the last airport I departed from (YYZ, way nicer) I purchased a 500 ml liquid duty free item and put it in my bag, just 5 hours earlier. So, security 'had' to confiscate the thing I had bought in an airport just because my connecting flight was through awful LAX. They would have let me go back out and check it, but then we'd have to queue again for security screening, and there wasn't time before our flight boarded to do so. But at least we made our flight. I have had to connect through LAX multiple times in the past, and always have had a similarly infuriating experience. Avoid LAX if at all possible.
Date VisitMay 2017

"absolutely uncalled for nowadays"

Verified Review | Boeing 777 full plane unloaded with off site bus terminal. Over an hour for any luggage to even start coming. Absolutely uncalled for nowadays. The World looks at the US as a leading country, but this brings it to shame. Fix this international airport. Also fix the shuttle system, dangerous and messy.

"lines unprofessionally organised"

The worst airport I've ever been too. Los Angeles should be embarrassed. Lining up several times with multiple check in lines that were at least 500 people long. Manned by two people on most checkpoints (even though there were many more unmanned stations) regardless of the barrage of people. Often filled of superfluous "workers" talking about their weekend rather than answering questions or doing anything that resembles their job, I counted 6 people waving their hand in a general direction to send people to machines that would of sufficed just having one clear sign. If someone asked for clarification they rolled their eyes and kept waving. The most surly, rude, unprofessional staff I have ever experienced. Lines unprofessionally organised. Run down and embrrrassing that this is what visitors to the US are seeing first.