Los Angeles LAX Airport

"had a miserable 5-hour layover"

Trip Verified | On a recent trip, I had a miserable 5-hour layover at LAX on a flight from Dallas to Eugene. American Airlines flights to Eugene are out of the American Eagle regional flight​ annex at LAX, which resembles a third-world airport more than a major US facility. These 9 gates are a long bus ride on the tarmac from the main domestic terminal. They might as well be in Long Beach. There is a huge traffic jam getting to and from these flights, with passengers waiting up to 20 minutes to even board a short bus. The annex terminal has few services, with only a small deli for food. They do have a lounge out there, but were not selling day passes that day, due to construction at the lounge in another concourse. Like most of LAX, you get kicked off the WiFi every 45 minutes, unless you watch an ad or pay. While my flight was fine, the ground services and facilities from American Eagle at LAX are as bad as it gets.
Date VisitJune 2017

"TSA needs to improve"

Trip Verified | TSA needs to improve, they are rude, unorganized and plainly the worst employees. The process is slow and they treat us like criminals without reason and to make it worse we pay the consequences of their inefficiencies. No one is holding them accountable something needs to change and improve the process. They need more training and made me miss my international flight after my bag was re-scanned 3 times because the bin “was dysfunctioning” and the scanner did not “take a picture.” That occurred multiple times before changing the bin. Then my partner was calling to relay information to the gate, but they would not allow me to even answer my phone which was ringing right in front of me, they treated me like a criminal for wanting to answer my phone. So I missed my international flight. I wanted to make sure this did not happen to others so I submitted a claim/complaint but nothing happened and no one did anything, we didn’t even get an apology let alone reimbursement or an assurance that they will improve and not let this happen again.
Date VisitMay 2018

"main criticism is the baggage carousel breakdown"

Not Verified | After arriving I was put on a later connecting flight to Seattle with Delta Airlines instead of Alaska Airlines due to the delayed arrival of my Qantas flight, from Australia. The nightmare started after I entered the LAX international terminal, The first bad experience was the baggage carousel, which was going to handle my flights luggage, broke down. They waited for 30 minutes before deciding to bring my flights luggage through another carousel. This was putting catching my new connecting flight at risk. I finally got my checked luggage, cleared customs and was directed to the connecting flights area. After another 30 minute wait, my luggage was checked in on a Delta Airlines flight and instead of a boarding pass, given an A4 piece of paper and told curtly to go to terminal 2. At the crowded terminal 2 I was curtly told by terminal 2 staff to use one of the check in kiosks. The kiosk would not accept the information on the sheet of paper. Luckily some Qantas passengers, who were in the same predicament as me found someone who finally gave me my boarding pass. I finally got to the boarding gate with 10 minutes to spare. To sum it up, my main criticism is the baggage carousel breakdown and their refusal to bring our flights luggage through a different one and the unpleasant and impersonal airline staff who treat anybody who is unfamiliar with the terminal like a sheep.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"I hate this airport"

Trip Verified | I hate this airport. The security line took longer than ever, I somehow set off the metal detector (I don't know how!) and the agents told me to stand on the side and I waited there for 15 minutes and no one ever told me what would happen next! Eventually an agent rubbed my hands with a cloth and told me to keep moving. I don't understand what that was all about. Next I went into the terminal 8 first class lounge and they wouldn't let me in because they told me it is for international flights only. Seriously? Most flights in that terminal at that time were domestic! I saw people holding boarding passes that said LAX-IAD on them being allowed inside the lounge! There is hardly any good seats in the gate areas. It is always way too loud and hectic in the terminals and the WiFi does not work at all. Finally, my flight was delayed by 10 minutes because the runway was so overcrowded that the aircraft took 20 minutes to get to the gate after landing. Then only good thing about this airport is that there are no TVs playing CNN like in every other US airport I've been to.
Date VisitApril 2018

"Staff are offish and ineffective"

Not Verified | Despite the automated passport control machines, most people still have to queue for manual recheck and those that don’t still have to queue for the person to stamp the entry card. Staff are offish and ineffective. My 14 year old daughter was pulled for an immigration check and we nearly missed our connecting flight as we were sat in a waiting room for 2 hours. In that area, 2 people worked running the checks, one person sat on the front desk taking passports and handing them on, another “supervisor” sat and watched the TV and two more (maybe security) wandered around the waiting room occasionally in between sitting down watching TV and napping. One man was told by the lady at the desk to stand by the vending machine, a while later he was shouted at by another staff member for standing there and told to stand in the other corner. He said that’s where he was told to stand so she shouted “well now I’m telling you to stand over there ao you go stand over there” Even if it’s a connecting flight, LAX require all luggage to be picked up and then taken to another area for it to be checked in to the final destination. This makes LAX a poor choice for connecting flights. Toilets very dirty landside but better airside. The security screening is moderately rapid but there are no signs up to explain what should be done (shoes off, liquids in a bag etc) which means it’s mainly managed by staff yelling at the guests - usually with conflicting instructions. We got through OK but some less experienced travellers were left quite flustered. Overall, better than JFK and Newark but worse than any other US airport in my experience.
Date VisitApril 2018

"lack of compassion and common courtesy"

Not Verified | This airport and the employees here are the worst! We had a connecting flight that we were rushing to make & everyone here seemed to make it as difficult as possible for us along the way. The Southwest agent checking our bags wouldn't let us go ahead even though everyone in line said we could go first because our flight was leaving before theirs. Then comes the lazy, sluggish, rude, and inefficient people at the screening point. They have lines backed up and don't seem to have respect for anyone. When they pulled my backpack for an extra check, they left it sitting there and they slowly went through other people's stuff. When I told them my flight was leaving in 5 minutes, the guy shrugged and said, "I guess you'll just have to wait" then proceeded to talk to his colleagues and ignore me. I'm embarrassed this is in America, I'm dumbfounded that people are so blatantly rude, and I'm ashamed of their lack of compassion and common courtesy. Also - the airport is ugly, the layout makes no sense, and things run so poorly here. No wonder they're rude - their jobs must suck. Everything comes back around.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"this is one of the worst"

Trip Verified | Nothing new for LAX, this is one of the worst airports in the country/worldwide. The experience typically starts with huge traffic jams to reach the terminals and then you get to enjoy some of the worst public transportation facilities. To be fair this review is focused on T3 which is really bad both on the public and airside. There is nothing to enjoy in that terminal. It is old, there is nothing good about it.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"lines are ridiculously long and inefficient"

Trip Verified | The lines are ridiculously long and inefficient. Employees seem like they are all on their first day of the job. My pregnant wife was berated by a sassy airport employee during her pat-down, and was denigrated for bringing food for the flight. People selected for additional screening were waiting an average of 20 minutes after passing through security just to have someone pawing through their personal effects aimlessly. There was no privacy for the pat-down, which they required for us to bring our baby's food through security. Every time I route through LAX I spend at least 20 extra minutes on the tarmac, and every time I think the same thing: this is the worst airport I have ever flown through. Also, there is no skytrain between terminals, so if you need to transfer between terminals, you also have to pass through security again! Incredibly inefficient-like most of California.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Unbelievable wait for clearing TSA"

Not Verified | Unbelievable wait for clearing TSA—over 30 minutes at American Airlines to board a domestic flight. This after checking in Priority. Earlier this week I arrived at LAX and the Super Shuttle was located in an outdoor smoking area. This sometimes feels like a third world country airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"not rocket science to organise a good airport"

Not Verified | Worst airport in the world award goes to LAX Airport. Have been to many airports in the world but nothing like this mess of a place that is called an international airport. People are treated like sheep because the place has been set up as such. The workers there have to be given a medal each to manage to work in such a place which has no vision of what an airport should resemble. All they need to do is look at other airports - Singapore, Auckland, London, Paris and see how they are managed. It's not rocket science to organise a good airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2018