Los Angeles LAX Airport

Los Angeles LAX Airport customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Reasonable checks-in but departure area a complete rip off with charges such as $10 for a small sandwich. Dismal choice as well. You can buy fancy underwear and swimwear but there is no drug store or any real choice of food. An airport to be endured if there is no alternative.
Date VisitAugust 2015

Review by (United States)

As an arriving US citizen, I had to go through 3 checkpoints that were within 20 yards of each other yesterday. First, the automated passport scanners, which we were all forced to use despite the fact that all the employees working to 'help' with them admitted that they did not work well. Then we were all funnelled into a line where we waitied for 1.5 hours for a customs agent to look at our papers and the tickets printed out at the kiosks 10 feet away. There were a total of 2 agents working the line I was in. Finally, there was one more 'Exit Control' check point not 10 yards from the second check point. No one who works there that I met had any idea why it was this way. They just shrugged and said, 'that's just the protocol', which seems to be the default response to anything. I spent far less time getting into the UK and I'm not a citizen there.
Date VisitAugust 2015

Review by (Germany)

My experience was terrible at LAX, the check-in staff were unwelcoming. There were hardly any shops and restaurants we had to walk through a construction area to get to gate. The airport was dirty, noisy and crowded. When we got to the gate we didn't get on the flight since we were traveling standby and the flight was full. Unluckily the next flight to New York was at 8 am and it was 11 pm so we had to spend the night at LAX. They gave us pillows and blankets because the terminal was freezing. At 8am we also didn't get on so we had to try the next flight which was a Delta flight (we were trying United). It was a 20 minute walk to the Delta terminal, we had to walk through another construction area. The Delta terminal was much nicer and had a selection of shops and restaraunts. We finally got on!

Review by (Australia)

When traveling from Australia, the only two options to enter and leave the US are LAX and SFO. LAX is closer. This time was first in a long time, since 2009, and what a pleasant surprise! In 2009, it was indeed a dump. Old equipment, everything was dirty, the immigration was a race against time. In July 2015 I couldn't recognise the place. The immigration had automatic kiosks working with Aussie passports, and the border control had more people. The XXI century finally arrived to their security, no more need to remove the shoes. The terminal where Qantas was, had a decent selection of food. The terminals have been renovated, were clean, sparkling, and equipped with automatically flushing toilets. Of course, it's still chaotic and too crowded but it is no longer a chore to visit.

Review by (United States)

Have flown out of LAX more times than I can count. Have never once boarded my flight on time. Sitting here again as I type and my flight has already been delayed once. Worst overpriced food, no low cost options. Facilities are awful, lines are even worse and there is never any place to sit because they have about two chairs for the thousands of people who pour through each day.

Review by (United States)

Horrendous, long lines. Overpriced. Not enough kiosks. Overcrowded. Dirty. Bathrooms dirty. Talk about a struggle bus to the dysfunction junction. Wish I could give it 0/10 and 0 stars.

Review by (United States)

Horrible, chaotic mess. 1.5 hours to get our luggage. Another hour just to get out of the airport.

Review by (Finland)

Los Angeles LAX is the worst airport I have been in on my travels. Big, messy, badly signposted and facilities are almost non-excistant. Nevermind the shopping, but it would be nice to have a decent meal. Terminal 4 restaurants were small, way too full and awfully noisy. There was 25 minute wait at the pizza place. Food was overly expensive compared to the quality and portion size. There wasn't enought seats at the gate. To be precise there wasn't enough room anywhere. There was no place to relax and chill out before being stuck on the plane for hours. Hate the place, thankfully there are options when planning my next holiday in CA.
Date VisitJune 2015

Review by (Australia)

We were processed within a reasonable time period with diligent and professional staff. The terminal was clean and we easily navigated through customs to the exits. I cannot say the same for Melbourne Airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2015

Review by (United States)

My first visit to the International Terminal. Sad to say LAX struck out badly. Entered Passport Control area around noontime, there were people in red uniforms directing USA travelers to the automated passport kiosks. Another person in a red uniform said many of the kiosks in this row were down. So why didn't the person directing me to use them know this? An utter fiasco. As I left to the real person passport check line, people in red were arguing among themselves as to which machines were working, which were not. Went downstairs to baggage claim and another fiasco. Baggage carousels had signage showing all the arriving international flights, but no information as to which carousel to go for your flight's baggage. Master baggage carousel sign on the wall listed all the flights. Again no information as to which carousel to use. Over the PA system, a hard to hear voice gave out the information on where to go for your baggage. No information saying area was being upgraded, work in progress or under repair. Or is this just the daily standard for LAX? Went to my terminal gate for connecting flight. Saw a snack area offering small, thin sandwiches and drinks. I guessed an overpriced $5-6 for one. I about choked when I was told they sell for over $11 each. Funny how retail stores must have a price shown for every item while LAX hasn't got a clue. I have to give LAX credit for the connecting flight baggage handling drop-off as you leave the International area. Finally an efficient area with someone in charge who knows how to do their job. Person in charge of this area, takes pride in it. Can't say the same for the three areas above.
Date VisitJune 2015