Top 100 Airlines

Los Angeles LAX Airport

"worst airport for making connections"

This is the worst airport for making connections to and from Canada and the US. Even though we cleared US Customs in Vancouver, we landed at an international terminal at LAX. This terminal was not connected to the domestic US terminals and we had to travel across the entire airport and re-enter another terminal to meet our flight. We had to go through TSA screening again and barely made our flight even though we had a 2 hour layover. If this airport wants to be a major international hub, then it must do something about the poor way transit passengers are handled. This airport is old and this situation has been the same forever. I will avoid making connections in the airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"crowded and dirty"

This has to be one of the most disappointing airports I fly to. It is invariably crowded and dirty with inadequate seating. The baggae, check-in and security areas are out of the 1960's. The real problem is that the airport has not had any significant upgrades in far too long. This airport and most of the terminals [Terminal 2 in this case] are woefully inadequate for what is expected of them and are a disgrace to the wonderful city of Los Angeles.
Date VisitAugust 2015

"it was completely filthy"

It was completely filthy, I didn't go into one area where the tile floors were clean. Dried up spills dominated every eating facility to the point I could barely stomach my food. The escalator to the baggage claim was filthy and the baggage claim area was filthy, especially the floors. I understand it's a busy airport, but you obviously need more people cleaning.
Date VisitJuly 2015

"one hodgepodge mess"

I have traveled extensively both domestically and internationally out of LAX for the last 25 years, and I find that this airport is probably one of the most outdated of all the airports that I go through. The airport seems to be out of the 1960s with an external appearance that defies description. Though it looks like they're working on the facilities it still falls far behind other airports in the area, particularly as it has no public transportation like a people mover or link to subways. Other problems are dirty facilities, poor lighting, luggage retrieval that sometimes takes up to a half an hour to 45 minutes. The driving in and out of the airport is just a nightmare. There's no central facility for car rental or hotels and buses practically crowd out all other vehicles. At most other major airports there are separate lanes for pick up by cars and livery services as well as buses; but at LAX they all crowd into one lane - it's crazy! They have done something good recently by creating areas to pick up Uber cars - that's a big improvement! But in general nothing is consistent here at this airport which - architecture, parking and facilities in general - it's all one hodgepodge mess.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"not enough passport control personnel"

Arrived at the TBIT on 18th February at 1910 local (but 0310 GMT in my body) after an 11+ hour flight from LHR on Air New Zealand. Following a lengthy walk from the gate to immigration were corralled (no other word for it) with very little explanation for 30 minutes. It transpired that there were not enough passport control personnel to deal with the "large" number of aircraft that had arrived together. This is a large international airport handling 75 million passengers a year so I find that reason for my delay laughable. I must add that my passage through the same terminal as a departing passenger 10 days later was better but these scores and comments are for my arrival experience. Overall I recommended this airport (based on my departure experience) but in truth, what other choice does one have from the UK? I am informed that the other airports in Greater LA (e.g. Ontario) are not permitted international flights from the UK, the nearest alternative to LAX is San Diego.

"dirty and ugly"

LAX is dirty and ugly. The new scanners in customs actually add considerable time to clear and several additional queues. The WiFi connectivity is terrible. Outlets to charge devices are scarce. Outside curbside is littered with smokers. The entire airport, outside areas, and restrooms are dirty. Nobody will answer questions when asked they just say I don't know. I have to go through this miserable airport twice a year to connect with Fiji Airways.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"stumbled upon a gate map"

I connected at Los Angeles LAX Airport, flying from Austin, TX to Oakland, CA. I came out of gate 53 or 54 and my connection was from 68B. The directions at the terminal pointed me to the escalator down. When I reached the lower level, there were three possible ways to go but these did not have the range of gate numbers. It said terminal 6 but was not easy to decipher, which way to proceed for gate 68b. Finally, I stumbled upon a gate map on the wall, to figure out the way. In another instance, when I flew from Calgary (Air Canada) connecting to Delta to ATL, in spite of a single ticket, after landing at LAX, one has to come out of terminal, take a bus and go past security again, it takes minimum 1 hr to do that.

"rudest ground staff"

The airport with the rudest ground staff I have ever encountered. I had a group booking for 9 persons. When I got to the front of the queue to check in the man behind the counter refused to check in all 9 people even though this was the same booking. Apparently this would have taken him too long. Whilst in the queue a lady asked another member of the ground staff if this was the correct queue. The staff responded that this was the queue for all Air France passengers. The lady then remarked that she had been unsure as the queue was so long, in which the staff member responded "Well thats nothing to do with me". Apparently the rudeness is not limited to the people behind the counters. Seriously LA Airport, you need to consider some lessons for your staff in simply being polite.

"whole place was dirty"

This is the worst airport experience I have had in the U.S. We arrived at 12.30 am and had to stay until our flight to Portland at 6 am. I was not feeling well and looked everywhere for a vending machine or store to buy water. After asking we were told there was only a water fountain and it had lukewarm water and was dirty. No food or drink available in the entire airport and you couldn't leave as the checkpoints were closed. The whole place was dirty and I hope I never have to travel through it again.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"process needs a complete overhaul"

This is a terrible airport, the worst I have visited in the last couple of years. There is no regard for passengers or punctuality. It seems that the airlines have been forced to allow for constant late departures due to inefficient passenger hand luggage x-ray systems. The process needs a complete overhaul. It took us two hours to check suitcases in and have hand luggage/person scans to finally make it through to duty free shopping (nice area) with no time to enjoy the facilities. We had allowed three hours but many people who had allowed less were very stressed. I would try to avoid this airport in future.