Los Angeles LAX Airport

"Worst customer service"

Trip Verified | I was forced to check a small backpack even though it was small in size, fit under the seat in front of me on the way to LAX and was much smaller than everyone else’s carry on items. They forced me to check because I was carrying a very small cross strap purse around me and considered that multiple personal items even though every other female in line had a purse and backpack or carry on item. Worst customer service at LAX airport than I have ever experienced in my life.
Date VisitJune 2018

"Worst arrival delays in 25 years"

Trip Verified | Worst arrival delays in 25 years of coming to LAX: stalled queues, exit queue serviced by only 4 agents. Terminal 3 elevators: 1 not working and the other does not take you to a door. Third world mobile/cell coverage in the terminals Restrooms in T3 smell.

"Shame, shame on you"

Trip Verified | LAX should be ashamed of themselves, treating your customers like cattle. The stress of arriving to (and from) the airport (and it's not just the new construction). Cattle going to the slaughter house are treated more humanely than the unfortunate people who frequent LAX airport. The only slight relief was the refreshment area which lasted one second till he told me the price of a bottle of water. Shame on you. Were we paying for all that excessive marble and advertising glitz in Arrivals? (Thats a whole different complaint). You should be looking at how other airports address the traffic. Barcelona for one, who separate the buses, shuttles, taxis etc from the cars. Its a great stressless experience. Great unassuming restaurants that you pay reasonable prices, shops that cater to the masses instead of the wealthy. Your mantra seems to be grab as much money as you can from the unsuspecting victims and then wait for them to complain. Shame, shame on you. The employees are miserable and rude, not a smile or welcome from any of them. Being shuttled like cattle to the airplane in a miserable over crowded bus. Shame shame. Look at Gatwick airport, where they have a hotel in the airport for early morning travelers, where they have a train station that is an elevator floor away from check in. Stressless and a great experience. LAX is a stressful money grabbing people barking orders mass of confusion. Hateful experience. I would like my money back for the excessive price of the bottled water. Shame. When I return I will no doubt have a horrible experience but when I glance at the marble and the glitz of the advertising my thought would be "why did they spend the money on this instead of finding a way to eliminate the lines, the traffic, the confusion, the miserable employees, the expensive shops and the the most unwelcome airport ever.
Date VisitJune 2018

"wait through immigration is insane"

Trip Verified | The wait through immigration is insane. Spent over 90 minutes just waiting in line. The people there are so rude. After a long flight the last thing you need is to be standing in a hot airless area for a ridiculous length of time. Been to many airports all over the world and this is by far the worst. My main complaint is the arrivals immigration debacle. Not a great first impression for people arriving from other countries. It’s an embarrassment.
Date VisitMay 2018

"had a miserable 5-hour layover"

Trip Verified | On a recent trip, I had a miserable 5-hour layover at LAX on a flight from Dallas to Eugene. American Airlines flights to Eugene are out of the American Eagle regional flight​ annex at LAX, which resembles a third-world airport more than a major US facility. These 9 gates are a long bus ride on the tarmac from the main domestic terminal. They might as well be in Long Beach. There is a huge traffic jam getting to and from these flights, with passengers waiting up to 20 minutes to even board a short bus. The annex terminal has few services, with only a small deli for food. They do have a lounge out there, but were not selling day passes that day, due to construction at the lounge in another concourse. Like most of LAX, you get kicked off the WiFi every 45 minutes, unless you watch an ad or pay. While my flight was fine, the ground services and facilities from American Eagle at LAX are as bad as it gets.
Date VisitJune 2017

"TSA needs to improve"

Trip Verified | TSA needs to improve, they are rude, unorganized and plainly the worst employees. The process is slow and they treat us like criminals without reason and to make it worse we pay the consequences of their inefficiencies. No one is holding them accountable something needs to change and improve the process. They need more training and made me miss my international flight after my bag was re-scanned 3 times because the bin “was dysfunctioning” and the scanner did not “take a picture.” That occurred multiple times before changing the bin. Then my partner was calling to relay information to the gate, but they would not allow me to even answer my phone which was ringing right in front of me, they treated me like a criminal for wanting to answer my phone. So I missed my international flight. I wanted to make sure this did not happen to others so I submitted a claim/complaint but nothing happened and no one did anything, we didn’t even get an apology let alone reimbursement or an assurance that they will improve and not let this happen again.
Date VisitMay 2018

"main criticism is the baggage carousel breakdown"

Not Verified | After arriving I was put on a later connecting flight to Seattle with Delta Airlines instead of Alaska Airlines due to the delayed arrival of my Qantas flight, from Australia. The nightmare started after I entered the LAX international terminal, The first bad experience was the baggage carousel, which was going to handle my flights luggage, broke down. They waited for 30 minutes before deciding to bring my flights luggage through another carousel. This was putting catching my new connecting flight at risk. I finally got my checked luggage, cleared customs and was directed to the connecting flights area. After another 30 minute wait, my luggage was checked in on a Delta Airlines flight and instead of a boarding pass, given an A4 piece of paper and told curtly to go to terminal 2. At the crowded terminal 2 I was curtly told by terminal 2 staff to use one of the check in kiosks. The kiosk would not accept the information on the sheet of paper. Luckily some Qantas passengers, who were in the same predicament as me found someone who finally gave me my boarding pass. I finally got to the boarding gate with 10 minutes to spare. To sum it up, my main criticism is the baggage carousel breakdown and their refusal to bring our flights luggage through a different one and the unpleasant and impersonal airline staff who treat anybody who is unfamiliar with the terminal like a sheep.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"I hate this airport"

Trip Verified | I hate this airport. The security line took longer than ever, I somehow set off the metal detector (I don't know how!) and the agents told me to stand on the side and I waited there for 15 minutes and no one ever told me what would happen next! Eventually an agent rubbed my hands with a cloth and told me to keep moving. I don't understand what that was all about. Next I went into the terminal 8 first class lounge and they wouldn't let me in because they told me it is for international flights only. Seriously? Most flights in that terminal at that time were domestic! I saw people holding boarding passes that said LAX-IAD on them being allowed inside the lounge! There is hardly any good seats in the gate areas. It is always way too loud and hectic in the terminals and the WiFi does not work at all. Finally, my flight was delayed by 10 minutes because the runway was so overcrowded that the aircraft took 20 minutes to get to the gate after landing. Then only good thing about this airport is that there are no TVs playing CNN like in every other US airport I've been to.
Date VisitApril 2018

"Staff are offish and ineffective"

Not Verified | Despite the automated passport control machines, most people still have to queue for manual recheck and those that don’t still have to queue for the person to stamp the entry card. Staff are offish and ineffective. My 14 year old daughter was pulled for an immigration check and we nearly missed our connecting flight as we were sat in a waiting room for 2 hours. In that area, 2 people worked running the checks, one person sat on the front desk taking passports and handing them on, another “supervisor” sat and watched the TV and two more (maybe security) wandered around the waiting room occasionally in between sitting down watching TV and napping. One man was told by the lady at the desk to stand by the vending machine, a while later he was shouted at by another staff member for standing there and told to stand in the other corner. He said that’s where he was told to stand so she shouted “well now I’m telling you to stand over there ao you go stand over there” Even if it’s a connecting flight, LAX require all luggage to be picked up and then taken to another area for it to be checked in to the final destination. This makes LAX a poor choice for connecting flights. Toilets very dirty landside but better airside. The security screening is moderately rapid but there are no signs up to explain what should be done (shoes off, liquids in a bag etc) which means it’s mainly managed by staff yelling at the guests - usually with conflicting instructions. We got through OK but some less experienced travellers were left quite flustered. Overall, better than JFK and Newark but worse than any other US airport in my experience.
Date VisitApril 2018

"lack of compassion and common courtesy"

Not Verified | This airport and the employees here are the worst! We had a connecting flight that we were rushing to make & everyone here seemed to make it as difficult as possible for us along the way. The Southwest agent checking our bags wouldn't let us go ahead even though everyone in line said we could go first because our flight was leaving before theirs. Then comes the lazy, sluggish, rude, and inefficient people at the screening point. They have lines backed up and don't seem to have respect for anyone. When they pulled my backpack for an extra check, they left it sitting there and they slowly went through other people's stuff. When I told them my flight was leaving in 5 minutes, the guy shrugged and said, "I guess you'll just have to wait" then proceeded to talk to his colleagues and ignore me. I'm embarrassed this is in America, I'm dumbfounded that people are so blatantly rude, and I'm ashamed of their lack of compassion and common courtesy. Also - the airport is ugly, the layout makes no sense, and things run so poorly here. No wonder they're rude - their jobs must suck. Everything comes back around.
Date VisitMarch 2018