Airline of the Year

Los Angeles LAX Airport

"no signage to guide the way"

Horrible airport, had a connecting flight with less than an hour layover. Had to traverse from terminal 2 to 8. Basically no signage to guide the way, had to ask random ticketing agents for help (who were nice), but we had to leave the terminal, exiting security, go out to the street, hop on a shuttle (might have been faster to hail a cab) which only took us to terminal 5, then walked/ran to get to the security line, and had to go through screening again. In my rush and frustration however, I had forgotten that in the last airport I departed from (YYZ, way nicer) I purchased a 500 ml liquid duty free item and put it in my bag, just 5 hours earlier. So, security 'had' to confiscate the thing I had bought in an airport just because my connecting flight was through awful LAX. They would have let me go back out and check it, but then we'd have to queue again for security screening, and there wasn't time before our flight boarded to do so. But at least we made our flight. I have had to connect through LAX multiple times in the past, and always have had a similarly infuriating experience. Avoid LAX if at all possible.
Date VisitMay 2017

"absolutely uncalled for nowadays"

Verified Review | Boeing 777 full plane unloaded with off site bus terminal. Over an hour for any luggage to even start coming. Absolutely uncalled for nowadays. The World looks at the US as a leading country, but this brings it to shame. Fix this international airport. Also fix the shuttle system, dangerous and messy.

"lines unprofessionally organised"

The worst airport I've ever been too. Los Angeles should be embarrassed. Lining up several times with multiple check in lines that were at least 500 people long. Manned by two people on most checkpoints (even though there were many more unmanned stations) regardless of the barrage of people. Often filled of superfluous "workers" talking about their weekend rather than answering questions or doing anything that resembles their job, I counted 6 people waving their hand in a general direction to send people to machines that would of sufficed just having one clear sign. If someone asked for clarification they rolled their eyes and kept waving. The most surly, rude, unprofessional staff I have ever experienced. Lines unprofessionally organised. Run down and embrrrassing that this is what visitors to the US are seeing first.
Date VisitMay 2017

"one of the worst airports in the U.S"

Has to be one of the worst airports in the U.S. Almost every flight I've taken in the last few months, arriving or departing has been delayed significantly for either airport construction, too much traffic, or other excuses. The bathrooms are hideous, smell like urine constantly. I've had cleaner bathrooms in every third world country I have visited. The traffic getting in and out of the airport is horrible! Your almost guaranteed a 20 to 30 minute drive from the freeway to the terminal.
Date VisitApril 2017

"give yourself additional time"

Verified Review | Flew round-trip on Lufthansa from LAX. The security lines tend to be long at Tom Bradley International Terminal, so give yourself additional time. Once you clear security, the terminal has plenty of open sitting areas for you to relax. During the return segment, I used automated passport control kiosk. Overall, the arrival experience at LAX was very smooth.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"staff assisting were extremely efficient"

I have traveled through Los Angeles airport (LAX) many times in the past and had begun to dread the transit time through Customs and Border Protection (CBP) but my latest experience was completely different. The new automatic terminals and staff assisting were extremely efficient, I was at the transfer area within 25 minutes after disembarking. But all went backwards from here. Having to transfer to Terminal 5 was a nightmare. Transport Security Administration (TSA) had only one scanning station in operation and it took 1hr 30 minutes to to get through. Surely TSA know well in advance the number of flights arriving at LAX and should have TSA stations open to handle these volumes. Well done CBP but thumbs down to TSA. So give yourself 2 hours minimum for transit.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"underperform already minimal expectations"

Verified Review | Hate Los Angeles LAX airport - worst design. Every time I come through here I never think it can be worst yet they continue to surprise me by continuing to underperform my already minimal expectations. Today I came from HND to LAX - the customs line was insanely long and only 1 agent was working. People have connections to make and taking an hour to just get through that line is irresponsible and unacceptable. Following that, every other airport in the world I have passed through has a separate security line for just connection passengers, not at LAX - they actually make you leave the airport and go back through the general security line which today looked to be another hour long wait. If I didn't have Global Entry and TSA Pre-check I would of missed my connection. It is a pathetic excuse of an airport, the staff are not friendly and I will do my best to make all connections go through other US location just to avoid LAX.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"Security was a joke"

Flying in from Sydney, AU. I have Global Entry, so was able to clear immigration pretty quickly. Baggage took a long time to be loaded - understandable as many flights from Australia and New Zealand came in at roughly the same time. Trying to get to and through Customs was difficult, one person yelling that everyone needed to go through the same line. I asked about Global Entry and was told to get in the same line as everyone else, then was later told I could go to a separate line (by the same person). Security was a joke - Global Entry is automatically TSA pre-check, but I was forced to go through the regular Security line - which was long and wound down to the main level, and was very, very long and slow moving. Restaurant selection in the airport is good, most of the staff are friendly. I find it average to poor for cleanliness. Every flight in or out I've had has been delayed. Will avoid if at all possible in the future. Not enough people makes those who are there very frazzled - I feel sorry for them.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"appreciate this terminal for not being completely hectic"

Verified Review | Terminal 2. As a frequent flyer out of LAX I appreciate this terminal for not being completely hectic. For those of you who have flown out of Terminal 1 or Terminal B you know how crazy those one can be. T2 is pretty good at keeping a chilled vibe, most of the time. Early morning flights will push you to wait for security outside, lines are long, get TSA pre check! Most people are bi-lingual (English + Spanish). T2 is average but definitely better than some of the other ones, traffic in and out is a problem. Be at the terminal at least 2 hours to give you time to get checked in and go through security!
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"2 hours to clear immigration"

Verified Review | Entered and left Los Angeles LAX twice on trip to New Zealand - first time was dreadful. My wife had not been to the US for many years so could not use the e-booths. It took over 2 hours to clear immigration. Coming back, using the booths we were out of the airport in 40 minutes. Check-in was ok and the Star Alliance lounge is very good.