Los Angeles Lax Airport

Review by (Finland) 29th June 2015

Los Angeles LAX is the worst airport I have been in on my travels. Big, messy, badly signposted and facilities are almost non-excistant. Nevermind the shopping, but it would be nice to have a decent meal. Terminal 4 restaurants were small, way too full and awfully noisy. There was 25 minute wait at the pizza place. Food was overly expensive compared to the quality and portion size. There wasn't enought seats at the gate. To be precise there wasn't enough room anywhere. There was no place to relax and chill out before being stuck on the plane for hours. Hate the place, thankfully there are options when planning my next holiday in CA.
Date Visit28-06-2015

Review by (Australia) 27th June 2015

We were processed within a reasonable time period with diligent and professional staff. The terminal was clean and we easily navigated through customs to the exits. I cannot say the same for Melbourne Airport.
Date Visit27-02-2015

Review by (United States) 24th June 2015

My first visit to the International Terminal. Sad to say LAX struck out badly. Entered Passport Control area around noontime, there were people in red uniforms directing USA travelers to the automated passport kiosks. Another person in a red uniform said many of the kiosks in this row were down. So why didn't the person directing me to use them know this? An utter fiasco. As I left to the real person passport check line, people in red were arguing among themselves as to which machines were working, which were not. Went downstairs to baggage claim and another fiasco. Baggage carousels had signage showing all the arriving international flights, but no information as to which carousel to go for your flight's baggage. Master baggage carousel sign on the wall listed all the flights. Again no information as to which carousel to use. Over the PA system, a hard to hear voice gave out the information on where to go for your baggage. No information saying area was being upgraded, work in progress or under repair. Or is this just the daily standard for LAX? Went to my terminal gate for connecting flight. Saw a snack area offering small, thin sandwiches and drinks. I guessed an overpriced $5-6 for one. I about choked when I was told they sell for over $11 each. Funny how retail stores must have a price shown for every item while LAX hasn't got a clue. I have to give LAX credit for the connecting flight baggage handling drop-off as you leave the International area. Finally an efficient area with someone in charge who knows how to do their job. Person in charge of this area, takes pride in it. Can't say the same for the three areas above.
Date Visit24-06-2015

Review by (Australia) 17th June 2015

Having read the reviews of this airport for over a year I was apprehensive of having to use it. Arrived TBIT with Air New Zealand at 12.30pm and used the Automated Passport Control (APC). I also found the staff pleasant and was out of the airport in 15 minutes. Departure was also easy and again staff were helpful
Date Visit15-06-2015
Wifi Connectivity N/A

Review by (Singapore) 17th June 2015

Arrived and transferred to domestic here twice. In both occasions, immigration was a nightmare. The last thing I would want after a 13 hour Trans-Pacific flight is to stand in a queue that was barely moving. Not to mention the stern faced immigration officers. Hoped to connect to wifi during the wait but that never happened until I was in the carousel hall. Through immigrations and into the carousel hall, I waited half an hour for my bags to arrive. I had to go from the international terminal to the domestic Southwest terminal for my flight to Phoenix. The shuttle bus took forever to arrive and the trip was stupid long. Departure back home was slightly more pleasant. Airside had far more eating options and the wifi there was brilliant. Comfortable and ample seating in the gate holding area and the gate staff were surprisngly friendly compared to the robots in arrival.
Date Visit17-07-2014

Review by (United States) 11th June 2015

Over the years, I have had the misfortune to fly into or out of LAX, and (silly me), I keep expecting it to get better. I will tell you the first time I flew out of LAX was in the early 1960's, when I was six years old, and, to my recollection, it was a pretty neat, modern place. But that really was long ago, during the age of Boeing 707's, and fewer travelers going in and out of that place. Last week, the first thing I noticed after entering Terminal 2 were the incredibly rude TSA personnel. One wonders, is their job really so horrible? I guess I just answered my own question, they work at LAX, so it must be! After getting through security, one enters a series of hot, ugly corridors with walls covered in plastic sheeting. Yes, they are busy renovating, but you would think there would be a nicer way to do this. Then by the time we get to the waiting area for our Hawaiian Airlines A330 aircraft, we are so disappointed to see a waiting room with nary enough seats for everyone. Thus, many people, including me, end up sitting on the dirty carpet. I am not opposed to sitting on the floor on a nice, clean tatami mat in Japan, but sitting on the dirty LAX carpet that dirty shoes have traipsed over for years? Disgusting! Evidently, the air conditioning is not working properly during the renovation either. It was hot, and I just kept having the thought that I really wasn't in one of the major cities of America. One would expect this in a third world country. But at a major port of entry into the United States? I think it is a shameful way to greet international, or even American travelers. Perhaps I'm spoiled by major airports in China, Hong Kong, Korea, and Japan, but it scares me to think that if an airport is the first impression many people get of a country, what are people to think of us after they've been through LAX? What are we to think of ourselves? Needless to say, I will avoid this airport if I can in the future.

Review by (United States) 11th June 2015

I am delighted that there are so many passport scanners to process entering citizens. However the lines were backed up because the officers did not guide the passengers to the scanners that they could not see were not in use. Yes passengers have to be assisted in how to use the scanners. There were officers doing that, but there were several just in lala land. There has to be a system telling the citizens that there were empty scanners. So the line was long and the scanners that were no visible to the waiting passengers went unused. So either train the officers to tell the awaiting passengers that there is an empty scanner or give the scanners a number and when empty the passengers can go. Just observe and see if I am right.

Review by (New Zealand) 4th June 2015

By far the worst airport experience. They changed the terminal and I would have thought they would take the opportunity to catch up with the rest of the world and become efficient friendly and into the 21st century. Using the transit lounge is probably twice as bad as getting your luggage from the carousel and re-entering through security as if you were coming into and exiting America. It is unacceptable that this happens in LAX shocking. I know for sure that I will refuse to travel this route in future favouring even Korea instead of this backwards USA route - 100% dissatisfied and unimpressed.

Review by (United States) 4th June 2015

With ongoing construction LAX has turned into an even more chaotic mess than it usually is. I flew into and out of here on VX and also flew to SIN lucky for me I had laid over three days on the outbound and two days on the inbound for if I was connecting I'd recommend at least 3-4 hours minimum as signage for connecting flights is lacking. The food options are surprisingly limited for such a busy airport even SFO puts this place to shame in that department though no U.S. airport could really hope to compete with Singapore Changi. Returning to the U.S.it took forever to clear immigration and customs with a few A380s arriving simultaneously you'd think the powers that be would have considered this when they were bringing those big planes in. Luckily I'd brought my mobile hotspot with me for the airports' own wifi never really worked well. No wonder visitors to the U.S. try to avoid LAX whenever possible too chaotic crowded staff can be surly though there are a few really nice people you have to seek them out.

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th May 2015

Never a good way to enter the USA. Immigration is a mess slow and not very friendly. Baggage claim is ok but customs can be a nightmare.