Airline of the Year

Los Angeles LAX Airport

"difficult to discern the terminal"

Verified Review | Extraordinarily poorly handled transition from international to domestic transfer. English is my first language and I am a competent and fit adult. I still found it difficult to discern the terminal and make the connecting flight. The claiming baggage merely to check it again and try to figure out where to go was awful. An embarrassment to our country for foreign visitors.
Date VisitJune 2017

"it was a terrible experience"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Had an involuntary layover here. Overall it was a terrible experience. The building itself looks like a reminiscent from the 80s and signs lack clarity. Furthermore, this airport is supposed to be among the busiest in the world. Yet I couldn't find any place open past 1am. Even considerably smaller airports have far better service than this one. At the very least I consider it justified to expect that one would be able to purchase snacks from a vending machine 24 hours at a major international airport. Well, not at LAX.
Date VisitJune 2017

"very few seats"

Los Angeles LAX is seriously the worst airport I have ever been to. There are very few seats, people are all sitting on the ground waiting. There are a few shops where you can get food with very long lines. I never thought we would experience an airport like this in America. It really is a shame.
Date VisitMay 2017

"no signage to guide the way"

Horrible airport, had a connecting flight with less than an hour layover. Had to traverse from terminal 2 to 8. Basically no signage to guide the way, had to ask random ticketing agents for help (who were nice), but we had to leave the terminal, exiting security, go out to the street, hop on a shuttle (might have been faster to hail a cab) which only took us to terminal 5, then walked/ran to get to the security line, and had to go through screening again. In my rush and frustration however, I had forgotten that in the last airport I departed from (YYZ, way nicer) I purchased a 500 ml liquid duty free item and put it in my bag, just 5 hours earlier. So, security 'had' to confiscate the thing I had bought in an airport just because my connecting flight was through awful LAX. They would have let me go back out and check it, but then we'd have to queue again for security screening, and there wasn't time before our flight boarded to do so. But at least we made our flight. I have had to connect through LAX multiple times in the past, and always have had a similarly infuriating experience. Avoid LAX if at all possible.
Date VisitMay 2017

"absolutely uncalled for nowadays"

Verified Review | Boeing 777 full plane unloaded with off site bus terminal. Over an hour for any luggage to even start coming. Absolutely uncalled for nowadays. The World looks at the US as a leading country, but this brings it to shame. Fix this international airport. Also fix the shuttle system, dangerous and messy.

"lines unprofessionally organised"

The worst airport I've ever been too. Los Angeles should be embarrassed. Lining up several times with multiple check in lines that were at least 500 people long. Manned by two people on most checkpoints (even though there were many more unmanned stations) regardless of the barrage of people. Often filled of superfluous "workers" talking about their weekend rather than answering questions or doing anything that resembles their job, I counted 6 people waving their hand in a general direction to send people to machines that would of sufficed just having one clear sign. If someone asked for clarification they rolled their eyes and kept waving. The most surly, rude, unprofessional staff I have ever experienced. Lines unprofessionally organised. Run down and embrrrassing that this is what visitors to the US are seeing first.
Date VisitMay 2017

"one of the worst airports in the U.S"

Has to be one of the worst airports in the U.S. Almost every flight I've taken in the last few months, arriving or departing has been delayed significantly for either airport construction, too much traffic, or other excuses. The bathrooms are hideous, smell like urine constantly. I've had cleaner bathrooms in every third world country I have visited. The traffic getting in and out of the airport is horrible! Your almost guaranteed a 20 to 30 minute drive from the freeway to the terminal.
Date VisitApril 2017

"give yourself additional time"

Verified Review | Flew round-trip on Lufthansa from LAX. The security lines tend to be long at Tom Bradley International Terminal, so give yourself additional time. Once you clear security, the terminal has plenty of open sitting areas for you to relax. During the return segment, I used automated passport control kiosk. Overall, the arrival experience at LAX was very smooth.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"staff assisting were extremely efficient"

I have traveled through Los Angeles airport (LAX) many times in the past and had begun to dread the transit time through Customs and Border Protection (CBP) but my latest experience was completely different. The new automatic terminals and staff assisting were extremely efficient, I was at the transfer area within 25 minutes after disembarking. But all went backwards from here. Having to transfer to Terminal 5 was a nightmare. Transport Security Administration (TSA) had only one scanning station in operation and it took 1hr 30 minutes to to get through. Surely TSA know well in advance the number of flights arriving at LAX and should have TSA stations open to handle these volumes. Well done CBP but thumbs down to TSA. So give yourself 2 hours minimum for transit.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"underperform already minimal expectations"

Verified Review | Hate Los Angeles LAX airport - worst design. Every time I come through here I never think it can be worst yet they continue to surprise me by continuing to underperform my already minimal expectations. Today I came from HND to LAX - the customs line was insanely long and only 1 agent was working. People have connections to make and taking an hour to just get through that line is irresponsible and unacceptable. Following that, every other airport in the world I have passed through has a separate security line for just connection passengers, not at LAX - they actually make you leave the airport and go back through the general security line which today looked to be another hour long wait. If I didn't have Global Entry and TSA Pre-check I would of missed my connection. It is a pathetic excuse of an airport, the staff are not friendly and I will do my best to make all connections go through other US location just to avoid LAX.
Date VisitMarch 2017