London Stansted Airport

"a no frills environment"

Trip Verified | Its no surprise that an airport, when home to the most cut throat budget airlines in the business will look for every oportunity to recoup money from passengers, and Stansted is a master of carrying the budget theme through from the time you arrive to the time you take off and vice versa, turning the experience from enjoying to enduring. You start paying from the moment you arrive with the most expensive charges in the UK just to be dropped off, the booking hall is definitely a no frills environment, security is like a livestock market, airside is so cramped that only a % of passengers get the privilege to sit on some hard red boxes, some even bagging the “comfy chairs”, the balance having to mill round the concessions, which is obviously as intended. The free 4 hour Wifi is intermittant, repeatedly dropping its signal and then only reluctantly reconnecting. The departure gates also have insufficient seating, the con that is priority boarding, if you should be travelling with the Irish carrier in blue and yellow, is merely a way of charging extra to get to the front of a queue just to sit in your pre booked seat via a usually stressed and uninterested attendant who gives the impression they would really rather be anywhere else than there. But the fun doesnt stop there, the queue can involve standing in stairwells and corridoors until the plane is ready to board. Coming back you can expect a similar experience, but with the added bonus of running the lottery of the biometric immigration gates alongside several other plane fulls of passengers, it is only luck if it doesn't send you to the back of another queue when it cant decide if you are who your passport says you are. Other countries seem to have less issues with similar systems? This is a showpiece of cost cutting, and dont even bother to complain, no ones listening, by the way, they are applying to allow an additional 8 million people to pass through Stansted in the future. Heaven help the weary traveller.

"disorganised airport staff"

Trip Verified | Unpleasant experience and delays on both outbound journey to Milano Bergamo on the 07/07/18 (flight FR 4194) and inbound back to Stansted on the 12/07/18 (flight FR 973). No ground staff around to assist, even the pilot kept on apologising for the delay in taking off blaming the delay on the disorganised airport staff. And again on the way back to Stansted waiting for staff to help with disembarking and more than an hour waiting just to get luggage on belt in baggage hall! What's going on at Stansted? Why can't they employ more staff?
Date VisitJuly 2018

"No airport staff visible"

Trip Verified | Kept in plane 20 minutes, awaiting ground crew to arrive with steps, following flight from Belfast. Captain apologised for airport's incompetence. Waited 45 minutes at baggage carousel, one lady there told me she had waited almost 2 hours following her flight from Edinburgh. No airport staff visible, no apologies of any sort made to passengers. Interminable bus ride to long-term parking. All in all, took nearly 2 hours from touchdown to access my car - and this with no Immigration or Customs to pass through! On outward journey, no paper in toilet cubicle, many dispensers out of soap, dryers not working. Security staff appeared to be checking inordinate numbers of passengers, resulting in endless queues. Some security staff charming, others totally obnoxious! Flight 20 minutes late in leaving, due to error by airport staff. Awful place, give me Gatwick any day!
Date VisitJuly 2018

"unfair and totally under-staffed"

Not Verified | Terrible airport to fly back in to. It's completely beyond me how they can make UK families queue in the long international border control. We arrived on a slightly delayed flight and had to then stand for over an hour and a half with our two year old daughter at 1am to get through passport control. I think it's shocking that families with young children are made to do this. So many families with young children were extremely upset at that time of the morning. Extremely unfair and totally under-staffed. Stansted airport need to sort this out. This has put me off using the airport for our future holidays with our daughter. I think it's absolutely disgusting making children queue that long at such a young age (especially in the early hours). Avoid this airport if you have a family. Fine if you can go through the Epassport control as an adult but forget it if with children.
Date VisitJune 2018

"the worst immigration"

Trip Verified | Big chaos coming from Rabat airport on 8 July 2018. Ryanair landed 01.10 and from 01.20 we waited until 03.45 as there was only two immigration officers working to sort out 200 passengers. Children were crying and out of control. This is the worst immigration I have seen so far. I don't recommend this airport.

"Absolute chaos arriving"

(China)

Trip Verified | Absolute chaos arriving into Stansted yesterday. Planes kept on tarmac for over twenty minutes as no stairs were available for disembarkation. Rail transit crammed as full as a rush hour tube and then didn’t move for nearly fifteen minutes. Lines at border control sneaking back and forth to fill the whole hall (this was the one point where I saw any staff members and although it was incredibly busy, the line did keep moving, so well done UK border force). An hour after landing, the baggage carousel for my flight had still not been announced - more delays. And then a huge press of people because the customs gates were closed and no one was being let through. From plane touching down until leaving the terminal building yesterday took well over two hours. Two plus hours of lines, waiting, frustration and no announcements from Stansted to explain what was happening, no announcements to apologise for the delays, and no staff on the ground to help the very many customers who needed help.

"Terrible, terrible airport"

Trip Verified | Terrible, terrible airport. Departure was like a cattle drive, in this huge, shed-like building. Five solid minutes of just trying to get through endless duty free, flight listed as "boarding" so I then made straight for the departure gate. Charged down there, only to be kept waiting for 20 minutes after I arrived, no air, no phone reception, no seating, no toilets, no food or drink. Coming back, we had the usual 2.5 hour delay, delayed departures from Stansted delaying our inbound flight, so our 9.40pm flight didn't leave until after midnight (as usual). Missed the last Stansted Express, of course, which I'd stupidly pre-booked, our airline staff were advising passengers to avoid this airport in future, even if it meant taking another airline.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Smells of a scam to me"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Joke of an airport, just arrived home and needed to vent my anger. Missed flight due to National Express transfer booked thru Ryanair. A 50 min journey ended up being 2.5 hours so we arrive at security with 25 min before our flight closes to be met by masses of people all snaking along very slowly to get to security. I pleaded with one of the staff to let us get to the front but not a chance (protocol). Eventually we got to the counter and the staff were just laughing at our situation and just said it is protocol and they could not let us push in front. I cleared but my wifes case had a discrepancy on the x-ray so it was held for ages to be checked. I ran to the bording gate to see if I could delay the aircraft but as I was running I saw on the boards the flight had closed. I ran back to a tearful wife to tell her we had missed it and she informed me the reason they wanted to check her suitcase was because there was something showing but when they came to swab and double check they could find nothing so they kept her there for no valid reason and to the staff it was all a big joke, especially to the team leader. So we had to look for alternatives. Other companies had seats available 2 days later so the only option was Ryanair who luckily had enough seats on a flight the next morning for the 20 people who had also missed their flights. Another £100 each. So a night in the airport we had and we saw between 200-300 people who had also missed flights due to various reasons but the main one was not being able to get thru security. Smells of a scam to me. Airport staff marching around like Gestapo not letting anyone lie down and sleep and turning up the air-con to not let people sleep, and if you cant sleep you go to Burger King or Starbucks to get a warm drink/food, more money spent. Not enough benches or seats available and they complain when people are sat on the floor, whats the alternative? This airport is indirectly run by Ryanair and am pretty sure there is some sort of financial arrangement between Airlines, security and management. We are not vindictive people but were trying to get back home for my mother in laws Alzheimer emergency. This was our 1st time away (3 days) in 10 years, I will only go to the UK if totally necessary but I will be staying in Spain. Do I look for compensation? I dont think i can be bothered im just very tired. they blame each other but its all tied up tightly. I used to travel solely with Ryanair but I will pay extra to avoid them from now.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Appalling wait to get through security"

Not Verified | Departure on 24 June. Appalling wait to get through security. Total chaos. Some lines not working. One staff calling out for passengers needing to get to gates urgently. Totally unacceptable and facility not designed for capacity of airport. However must say staff at security were helpful and pleasant. Returned on 1st July. Terrible long queues for passport control. Even waiting to get into the very long zig zags. Totally unacceptable. At last 50% of the electronic gates did not seem to be working. Worst I have experienced ever including America. Much worse than Miami in May which was always thought to be the worst in the USA. This delay was hot and very unpleasant and could have been a danger to passengers not in the best of health. To my amazement after suffering this delay the baggage had not arrived and needed yet a further delay. In total a very bad experience and I rate Stansted zero points out of 10.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"would rather travel to Gatwick"

Not Verified | Arrived back in the UK at 01.05 1/7/18. Had to wait on the runway because no ground staff could be located. Eventually allowed off but only the start of our nightmare. 3 hours we had to wait for our cases with no explanation. Nowhere to sit and the baggage hall was filthy with rubbish on the floor. Toilets were even worse with overflowing sanitary and nappy bins. We only live 1 hour away from the airport and Gatwick is 2hrs 30 mins. Would rather travel to Gatwick. Cleaner airport by far and all the staff know what they are doing.