London Stansted Airport

"starting to look run down and tatty"

Not Verified | Used the long stay parking and everything went OK. Booked in with Thomas Cook again was swift as was security, but the airport isn't to busy at 3pm. Then the awful shopping mall experience, I still cant believe MAG think this is an improvement. We paid for fast track for our arrival so we could miss out the 'Alton Towers' queues at passport control, no one was waiting so we shot through. However, by the time we got our cases most of the people on our flight were standing with us. I still cant say that flying from Stansted is enjoyable or relaxing, personally I think this airport is chaotic and starting to look run down and tatty. Norwich for me next year, small and minimal but closer to home and far less stressful.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"baggage arrived quickly, no problems"

Not Verified | I've had bad experiences at Stansted in the past, but I've had them at Luton too, so since people only seem to bother to leave reviews when they've had a bad time, I thought it only fair to relate my good experience. My flight landed on time, in fact a few minutes early, no holding pattern, we were got off the aircraft quickly, had to use the little train to get to arrivals, but not a bother as they come quick and there was enough space for me and my family to get a seat. Despite it being the hight of summer, we breezed through passport control and the guy who checked us was kind and smiley. Our baggage arrived quickly, no problems. Then my Dad who came to pick us up, paid the carpark ticket but left it in the machine, when he realised and went to get it, it was gone. So we buzzed the help button at the exit gate, and the nice people quickly looked up our payment and let us out. So yes the car park and drop off area, and well evrything, is over priced, but this is the same at every airport. On this occasion, Stanstead performed beautifully, thank you.

"an absolute rip off"

Not Verified | Took my niece to Stansted Airport for a flight to France and took less than 5 minutes at thr drop off point and charged £3.50 for the privilege of using the drop off point (Gatwick doesn’t charge). Picked my niece up again 11th August and flight was delayed, according to Stansted’s flight info it was on time. Was at the airport just over two hours and charged a staggering £26.50 using the short term car park, an absolute rip off. Used this airport two years ago myself and will not return as much to busy and lack of customer service.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"will be giving Stansted a wide berth"

Not Verified | Appalling ground staff Swissport. Arrived at airport on Ryanair flight FR808 from Knock. As we were about to disembark the plane the steps were taken away and subsequently we had to wait 90 further minutes to disembark. This is unacceptable, I don't care what excuses there are for logistics, we should not have waited that long for a set of steps to get off the plane. When we get into the baggage hall there are thousands of people there waitng for baggage. Tired of this and will be giving Stansted a wide berth in future. Unbelievable I'm afraid, it's 2018 and we can't even sort getting off a plane.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"overpriced food and beverages"

Trip Verified | I have been using Stansted airport for business travel (Glasgow - London) for over 8 years and what I have written here is based upon real observations that I have experienced. Getting to/from the airport from London is fine, but can be expensive if the Stansted Express is not running, then you will have to pay over £130 for a taxi to get to the airport from London. Mmmm. You could rely on a bus but they are over crowded mostly and do take ages to get to/from London, especially if the traffic on the roads is bad. Security, a joke, staff are rude, queues are huge and much time lost. Even paying £5 or having a 1st Class Stansted ticket is no guarantee you will get through Fast Track quicker. Departure lounges, full to the gunnels with screaming kids and irate adults, and I understand why. Not a good commuter experience for anyone. Overpriced food and beverages. Absolute rip-off. I have taken pictures of costs and compared to normal shops on the outside. Details sent to local member of parliament for review It is disgusting. Take a plastic bottle with you and fill up with water from the drinking fountains once you have passed thru security, otherwise you will pay £2.25 for a bottle of water that cost 65p in the shops. General Staff. They are few, some are very nice and helpful, others are not. Ground Staff (I believe it is Swissport), they have gone missing, I am advised by actual ground crew that there has been massive cutbacks. This has resulted in delays in on boarding and dispatching aircraft. Be prepared to sit on a plane for 45 mins and more in sweltering heat with a Ryanair captain blatantly lying/miss-leading you (We will be next to "pushback"). If you have luggage to collect, well good luck on that, best come back and pick it up the next day. If there is a passenger who needs assistance to get on or off a plane (wheelchair), then your plane will be severely delayed as limited ground staff to assist. Ryanair. In my view the worst airline ever. Flight FR7494 on average 1.5 to 2 hours late. It is only a 1 hour journey. There are other flights with similar recurrent delays. Forget communication, from staff, it is abysmal at best and they will not think twice lying or at best miss-leading you, and I am talking here about the pilots. They will also divert your flight at the drop of a hat. 10 mins to landing the pilot says, next communication he advises us we are re-routing to Prestwick airport over 40 miles away from original destination. Between Stansted airport and Ryanair I have lost weeks of my life that I will never get back. Funny how many planes depart 15 mins before the 3 hour delay period, saving them from a compensation bill. My views is this avoid this airport and Ryanair if you can, and you want to keep your stress levels down.

"seems increasingly slow"

Trip Verified | Having flown from Stansted with Ryanair many times the airport is okay but service there seems increasingly slow. There are simply too many passengers going through this airport for the size that it is. Security queues can be very long especially if travelling in the morning. You have to walk through duty free to get to the airport gates, a common tactic now in airports. There is a good selection of cafes etc, and Wetherspoons pub is reasonably priced. Some gates require you to take a train to so make sure you leave enough time. There is seating in the main departure lounge but not really enough, it is more comfortable to sit in a cafe. There is free wifi for 4 hours and there are plug sockets for charging. Upon arrival it appears that the wait for stairs to disembark the plane and the wait for luggage can be long. We arrived just after midnight and had to wait 20 minutes to disembark and an hour and a half for luggage on the carousel, as we were informed the cargo handlers had to be called in, since luggage handlers went home at midnight!
Date VisitMay 2018

"the worst experience ever"

Not Verified | We arrived at the airport around 1am, vcheck in was closed until 3am there were not enough seats for this kind of occasions so you could see everyone just sitting on the floor waiting for hours. I didn't have a problem with that but apparently all the staff did. It's not about being told you can't sit here or you can't lay down it's about how rude and impolite they said it and not give a damn about it. I've been in a lot of airports and with long waiting around the world and I can say that's the worst experience ever. I know it's early and they are probably doing long shifts but it's not how you act when working with people.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"airport is simply too busy"

Not Verified | The airport is simply too busy. The "fast track'' is a joke. An elderly women stopped me on Thursday and told me she was lost as she was looking for fast track. I told her that the 50 or so people waiting were already in the queue! The airport is absolutely full and the management must be embarrassed to see so many people sitting on the floor, including the passages to the toilets. I fly every week and the lounge used to be a nice way to end the week. The queue on Thursday was actually at the top of the stairs. The recent addition of the Emirates flight has simply made it a lot worse. The standard response from management is to pre-book but having spent several hundred pounds on a priority card and I reluctant to pay another 25 and then be asked to share what is already a small space. Fair play to the airport, profits must have improved but service has deteriorated. People will eventually switch on and move to other London airports

"Zero customer care"

Not Verified | Absolutely woeful. Zero customer care. Understaffed. Avoid Stansted until Stansted management and Ryanair have a long hard look at how they operate. I will never come to this airport again - it is an embarrassment to the UK. Shame on you.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"minimal staff on the ground"

Trip Verified | The only service working at this airport is the Stansted Express, Border UK Force and ATC. Apart from this, the airport has minimal staff on the ground (hardly any handling luggages staff) or at gates or after security or anywhere. I travel all over the world and can literally say Stansted Airport is third world class. Be prepare to wait 1 hour for luggage and if any delays which is recurrent situation, forget about communication, organisation, care. You are alone in this airport. (Well with the other passengers). Back to LHR,LGW,LTN or even Southend. Shame for Ryanair and all other airlines who have invested in this low class Stansted airport.