London Stansted Airport

"Stansted Airport rip off"

Not Verified | Stansted Airport rip off! To be collected by car from the pickup point will cost the unsuspecting driver £3.50. Not to park, just to jump in a car taking all of 10 seconds. This is a mean, money pinching ploy and I will make every effort not to use this airport again! Note: The sign is over detailed so the driver doesn’t have time to read it as they drive in. Also, the sign is positioned in such a way that it is unclear to which side of the barrier/Zone it refers to.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Has politeness gone out the window"

Trip Verified | Terrible Security. Probably the most impolite I have ever experienced. I do object to being called "mate". What has happened to the terms "Sir" or "Madam". Has politeness gone out the window. Also area that you are called on to wait in is laid out very badly.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"ill-planned and ill-organised"

Unverified | The worst. Stansted has, in my experience, long been ill-planned and ill-organised. This was another level of bad service. Ill-managed queues for automatic bag checking, for bag drop off, huge wait at security. By the time we reached the shopping area, there was no chance that we were going to use any of the facilities, because we felt frankly an unwelcome intrusion at the airport. I feel immensely sorry for the people who are employed there - it cannot be pleasant spending your days in a place with such a bad atmosphere. The plane left pretty much on time.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"ethos: gouge every last penny"

Unverified | I was utterly appalled, as someone with compromised mobility, to be forced to negotiate an extensive crowded shopping mall before getting near anywhere to sit or the departure gates. I knew I didn't want to buy anything. Ikea provides shortcuts, why can't Stansted? Treatment of passengers in this way is a disgrace. In every respect Stansted's ethos seems to be to gouge every last penny.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"space is used for shops"

Unverified | I have been using Stansted extensively for about 8 years, flying out and into it about 10-15 times a year. Positive: free wifi for 4 hours and usually relative quick security checks. Unfortunately, those are the only positive things. Negative: Long traffic jam to even get to the airport, especially in the morning. High drop off fee. Forced walk through long winding shopping area. If I want to go shopping, I go to a shopping center, not the airport. All the space is used for shops, very small, overcrowded, uncomfortable seating area with no quiet space to do any work. People have to squeeze trough the seating ailes to get in the direction of the gates, kicking you and your luggage. Only quiet space has no display, so you need to backtrack, against all the people going to the gate, to get the gate information. Total design failure, at least as an airport, maybe it would rate it better if evaluated as a shopping center. Queues vary for arrival, have gone through very quickly at times, but often long waiting times and broken e-passport gates.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"making life difficult for the passenger"

Unverified | Once again Stansted Airport outdoes every other airport for making life difficult for the passenger. This time it was the mascara, which apparently counts as a liquid at this airport. I've flown with the same carry on for years, and Stansted is the only one to give me grief. And the individual checking through my bag, because I disagreed, decided on an extra thorough check. More people should be complaining about this charade masquerading as security and we'd all be better off.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"shocking and uncaring attitude to customer service"

Verified Review | The handling agents were not present when the aircraft arrived (on time) / 10 minute delay compounded by bus filling delay, driver was surly. No sign in the Arrival Hall of staff directing people to rail replacement coach, shocking and uncaring attitude to customer service. Unlike any other of the many airports I use - were the service to Dublin not so convenient I would avoid Stansted like the plague - expect another review for my next departure.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"dreadful experience at immigration"

Unverified | Really dreadful experience at immigration. The queue is appalling. Lots of parents with tired children. We've waited an hour. I've travelled around the world and it's one of the worst experiences. Five out of 22 counters are open. It's a really poor example of Britain for new arrivals. Border force need to pull their weight.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"1.5 hours from landing to leaving car park"

Unverified | Having previously checked all the reviews for going out of Stansted we had a very smooth trip with meet and greet, early arrivals, automated baggage check and reasonable queues for security. All very good. The same could not be said for our return trip! Our pilot apologised for the delay in the return journey as Stansted had held the departing plane up. On landing, we waited 30 minutes for the steps to be brought over. We then trudged around the whole airport, up and down stairs as some travellers and escalators / lifts were out of use. We were then herded like cattle through the e-passports which weren't all working properly. Thousands of people in continuous streams being shouted at to keep coming, keep coming. The baggage was backing up as people weren't there to collect it. All in all an hour and a half from landing to leaving car park. Fortunately meet and greet still went well and we started a 4.5hr journey home at midnight. Never again will I use Stansted!
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"This was very stressful"

Verified Review | I have used Stansted airport for many years without any problems, I alway book airport assistance because I am visually impaired. The staff have always been very efficient and caring and taken good care to get me through passport control and then down to the boarding gate and then taken to the plane. However, on this visit to London from Poitiers I was met at the plane then taken to a room where we were informed someone would be coming to take me up to passport control. I sat there for 30 minutes and decided no one was coming and was worried my family who were waiting to collect me would be getting concerned. I was pointed to a lift which I took up to passport control and asked other travelers to help me go through and then after had to ask another traveler to point me in the right direction to the exit where I met my family. This was very stressful. On my return trip I was dropped at stand C where my family waited until I was told someone would be with me as soon as possible so I told me family to go. I waited for thirty minutes in the cold until I finally asked another traveler if they would mind escorting me into the airport and when we got inside they very kindly found a member of staff to help me. Because I had stood outside in the cold for so long I needed the WC so I asked would they take me to be told it's up there to the right. I pointed out I didn't know where up there to the right was so he took me to the left and said it's up there where that man is standing, I then said I can't see the man and then he finally walked me to the toilet and said just make your way back to the assistance point and then left me. I was then treated with the greatest respect and taken through the airport without any problems. I spoke to one of the girls who was taking me to my gate and told her about my treatment earlier and she was shocked and said that they got training on how to handle their customers and I said it's not getting through to everyone how important this is to people who have a disability and I will be thinking about my journey and wonder if I will have the confidence to do it again.
Date VisitSeptember 2017