London Stansted Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th June 2015

Arrived just after midnight 28 June from Mallorca and faced a huge crowd, not even a queue, for passport control. People overflowed from the long, long taped queueing lines into a vast scrum. It appeared there were two options, e-passport control or standard but no information as to which was quicker. There was no public address to offer apologies, provide information, nothing. Eventually, having chosen e-passport control, we got through in 55 minutes. To add a little icing to the cake, the Jetparks / Long Stay car park transit bus did not pull up where the signs indicated. Standard Airport management and UK Border Agency should be shot. Their job is managing capacity and surely know how many passengers / flights are landing. Lack of information. Absolutely no excuse.
Date Visit28-06-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th June 2015

This was my first time at Stansted since their refurbishment. I can now say that what used to be a very good small airport, is now the worse airport I have ever been to. Security takes for ever and once you are through security, you are then forced to shuffle through a tiny aisle with hundreds of other people because there are now duty free shops on every side. Once into the main part of the airport you are faced with hundreds of people looking for somewhere to sit. I was travelling at 6am on a Friday morning and it was wall to wall with stressed out passengers. I will avoid this airport at all costs.

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th June 2015

Hideous experience. Checked in online and opted for baggage drop. Arrived two hours before our flight was due and very poorly and misinformed despite having shown our boarding passes that we had to queue for check in. Horrendous queues there and then again in security. As a result we missed our flight - the first time ever in our lives! No last calls for our names, no advice or cooperation when we informed security that our flight was leaving in 20 minutes. Rebooked flights at great expense to leave 10 hours later in the day - stayed within the airport. Tried to rebook car hire on computers in airport hall at great expense and huge frustration computers keys missing and system ridiculously slow! Internet connection on our phones (different providers) was poor and wholly inadequate. On our return we queued for 1hr 45mins in passport control. We cannot believe how shabby a system of queuing can make anything other than a very bad impression on arriving to England for visitors. Unacceptable and unnecessary attitude observed from staff and a lack of information regarding why there was such a back log and how long the average time of queuing would be didn't help either. We now know never to travel to and or from Stansted again - absolutely the first and last time ever.
Date Visit28-06-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th June 2015

I have used Stansted for 15 years and how it has deteriorated. Trying to book car park when an offer was on and could not book - funny how I could book when full rate was applied. Border control on the way home really is upsetting, after sitting on a plane for hours, the last thing anyone wants is a queue for over an hour getting through border control. How come this doesn't happen in Spain? Seriously considering never to use Stansted again - Norwich or Southend may be getting my custom.

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th June 2015

I thought we were lucky to be able to use this airport as it is so much closer than where we normally fly from - how wrong I was. It is running at far over its capacity. Immigration took us an hour during which there was no explanation or apology. Small children mixed with carry-on cases, average height people like me, slow people, fast people all thrown together in a claustrophobic space. Terrible.

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th June 2015

Passport control is an embarrassment. Upon arriving from Egypt in May 2015 we queued for over 90 minutes from midnight. I had my 4 year old and a 3 month old, without pushchairs. We were told that the delay was because we got a cheap flight! A girl had flown alone from Hungary and had a ticket for the train which, by the time she got through, had ended for the day. She won't be flying to Stansted again. June 2015 we waited over an hour and a half to collect someone flying in from France. They won't be returning to Stansted again.
Date Visit26-06-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (Australia) 24th June 2015

I arrived at Stansted Airport passport control on 27th May. When I entered the queue for non-EU citizens, there were not many people in front of me. However, the time which elapsed from my entering the queue to the time my Australian passport had eventually been duly stamped was 97mins. For the first hour there were two desks being used to process non-EU passport holders but this eventually went down to 1 counter. No one came and explained the problem nor at any stage apologised for the situation. Many passengers became angry and distressed and a number missed ongoing flight connections. Concerned and outraged at the longest wait I had ever experienced in an immigration queue at any airport in the world in over 45 years of travel, I took the opportunity to speak to a passport control supervisor when finally inside the airport. I received what can only be described as a most inadequate explanation, delivered in a highly supercilious and cavalier manner. Apparently they really do not care about the unconscionable delays and have no compunction in showing their contempt for those who do. Avoid this airport if you possibly can.
Date Visit27-05-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 23rd June 2015

Having used STN over many years since the takeover it is now showing a marked decline in service. Outbound, putting all ready stressed passengers through a shopping mall before getting a waiting area that has little or no seating shows the contempt the owners feel about their passengers. Return, taking over one hour to progress through immigration is totally unacceptable immediate improvement are required before I will use STN again.
Date Visit23-06-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 20th June 2015

Arrived Border Control 01.40 on Saturday 20th June 2015. Had to queue 46 minutes to pass through. To the best of my ability I counted only 6 desks open and 9 closed. This is a disgrace.
Date Visit20-06-2015

Review by (Japan) 18th June 2015

The new Terminal 2 is overall very good, particulary if you are using the Main Bus Station. The staff were helpful at the automatic check-in machines and the staff at the combined Star Alliance desk checking luggage were professional if not friendly. Things go downhill when you enter Security. A young man bantered with a female passenger and gave me a cursary glance. I didn't feel that the staff were in any way to be trusted with fighting terrorism. I went into WHSmiths to pick up a few items. Three staff were lounging around the cash register chatting and the customers were struggling to use the self-service checkouts. I didn't feel like interrupting their conversation so I did the same. I couldn't scan the items and felt like walking out. A young man appeared and mocked me for not knowing how to use the machine. Customer service is being replaced by self-service which is hardly nice from the point of view of customers. Oh, and a point about the toilets, which I expect we'll be cleaning ourselves soon. I'm traveling. I have bags. I want to use a urinal. There is no shelf or hook or anything to put/hang my stuff on. So I use the dirty floor. I also checked the toilet cubicles. One coat hook but again no shelf or anywhere to place a bag. Is this to cut the risk of people leaving items behind or for security reasons? Again, it's not very nice.
Date Visit18-06-2015