London Stansted Airport

"all very unfriendly"

Trip Verified | Security staff extremely rude, disrespectful and invasive. Whilst in the queue they shout at you like a sergeant major, "show me your plastic bag with liquids etc" - not in a funny way. We put everything in the trays as instructed. We take a second tray to put an antique hat with feather inside so it doesnt get damaged along with our bags. The attendant grabs the hat with force indenting it and trying to shove it in another tray. We exclaim not to touch it and ruin it, he shouts back still trying to shove it in with another departed tray. We try to explain that its important and delicate, he shouts back about it being too light to go in the tray alone and suggesting. We manage to take it back and put in another tray along with shoes to make it heavy enough, he said it would be too light to go through the machine on a tray itself. Issue was he was heavy handed and did not know how to communicate in a friendly effective way with non english speakers. Then when I have to pass through the new type of scanner, operative shouts "shoes" to those in the queue. Then inside the machine, my foot is slightly outside the footprints, he shouts "feet inside the marks" , "hands right up, hold it". In short, all very unfriendly and not prepared to speak clearly and use gestures in a friendly way for non english speakers.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Employees are beyond rude"

Not Verified | This Airport can be easily rated as the worst airport on the outskirts of London. Employees are beyond rude to customers and the airport facilities are extremely poor. The airport it is basically a massive walk in circle around the duty-free. Tiny seating area, not family friendly at all. The most ridiculous thing is having to pay £7 (baby included) to get into a non-existent "Fast Lane". You will find yourself queuing just after passing ticket control. At the security gate you will probably get harassed by one of the very stressed members of staff that will just complicate significantly your transit in this place. Avoid at any cost to travel in and out from Stansted if you can as it can completely ruin your travel experience.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"terminal is far too small"

Trip Verified | Dangerous level of overcrowding at this airport. The terminal is far too small for the number of passengers and it's facilities are very poor. Really stressful and at times feels like there will be a crush or stampede. Additionally the trains stop travelling into London at 0030 and so if your flight gets delayed - which is highly likely at this airport - you are left with having to either take a very expensive taxi or slow, infrequent and over crowded bus. If you can use any other airport to get in and out of London do so. It will taint any holiday or business trip you have to do.

"Avoid this airport"

Not Verified | Avoid this airport at all costs. We were flying to Switzerland for a long weekend but unfortunately the huge traffic jam on the approach to the terminal was a large factor in missing our flight. Once in the terminal, the chaos was never ending, overcrowded and very unpleasant. Stansted used to be a lovely airport to fly from but now it is more concerned about making money from the overpriced and overcrowded retail outlets than smooth passenger experience. The check-in procedure was horrendous, with everybody pushing and shoving and zero assistance from the staff as we were unsure of the process. The staff at the security check were moving at a snail's pace with a 'couldn't care less' attitude, despite telling them that we would miss our flight if we were to be left waiting much longer. Inadequate signage and misinformation led to the necessity to go through bag check and this caused the biggest delay of all. It took a very stressful half an hour to go through the bag check area and then the interminably long walk to the Ryanair departure gate through the never ending shopping mall heaving with very rude arrogant shoppers pushing and shoving, meant we arrived at the departure gate five minutes after the plane had left. This area needs a travelator for passengers running late for their flights to be able to move forward without being trampled over. The only member of staff who showed any compasion was the security chap who escorted us back to the main concourse to try to find another flight., which was not available until the following day making our long weekend too short to contemplate travelling so we dejectedly made our way home to cancel our beautiful hotels. This airport needs considerable improvement with increased staff training and more promient, clearly written signage.
Date VisitMay 2018

"airport has vastly outgrown itself"

Trip Verified | Devastated, disgusted and appalled! Use this airport only if you are very used to the system as there is zero help otherwise. This airport has vastly outgrown itself to the point where it can no longer cope with the bustling hoardes of passengers. The entire process from check in to departure is either automated and zero help on hand to guide less experienced travellers such as ourselves, or manned by very unhelpful, very brusque staff that only serves to increase the stress of an already very traumatic process. Delays caused by aiport expansion works on the approach to the terminal, delays whilst queing unnecessarily at the check in desk as I was unfamiliar with the automated system, delays with a boarding pass that refused to scan correctly and finally a huge delay at the security check due once again to inadequate assistance being given at the time, all culminated in us missing our flight to Switzerland by 5 mins with no option to rebook as there were mo other flights available until late the following day which would have made our weekend away pointless. My score of 1 was for the excellent assistance of the security chap who helped us get back to the concourse for a very welcome cuppa and a chance to let the trauma subside a little before embarking on our dejected journey home to cancel hotels. All in all a very upsetting and traumatic day and the loss of a very expensive 4 day weekend break with very little or no chance of any refund.
Date VisitMay 2018

"avoid this place in future"

Not Verified | I had the most frustrating flight experience with my 5 months old daughter. This airport does nothing to facilitate smoother pre and after flight experience for our youngest travellers and it is a nightmare if you are a mom traveling on your own with your little one. Since my daughter was born I had taken 10 flights via different airports and Stansted has been the worst. On security check my pram showed something suspicious as a result all my luggage, myself and my baby had to be searched although only pram did not go through. I already had to wake up my daughter from the nap and it was time to feed her; we were reassured it would only take 5 minutes but we were held for 30 minutes just because the right staff was not in the right place. Once it was time to board, turned out the escalators were not working to get us down from the gate to the airplane. I was on my own with a pram and my baby in a sling, so it would not be possible that I bring it down myself. Staff said they are not allowed to touch my luggage, so I have to do it myself. Thankfully other passengers helped. Also downstairs at the airplane the luggage handling staff were not very helpful, simply ignoring me. Further more when I was late to board the just shouted I should hurry up. On our return, another surprise. Families with children are sent to the longest possible queue. Queuing for a half hour completely disrupted my daughters naps, so tears again. Overall you end up feeling humiliated and screwed over on each and every step. I’ll make sure to avoid this place in future.
Date VisitApril 2018

"Never again from London Stansted"

Not Verified | Never again from London Stansted, used to love it in the early days. Overcrowded, passport control a joke packed in like animals with delays on trays going through, lack of seating and to top it all flying with Ryanair. Travelled from Heathrow and Gatwick recently and were both superb.

"disgraceful customer service"

Trip Verified | I am a frequent flyer and unfortunately have to use Stansted as it is closest airport to home. I have become used to its disgraceful customer service which starts at car park - through to gate staff and poor design of an airport in a shopping mall! As I usually just have hand luggage and travel to and from Ireland I avoid passport control and baggage reclaim on arrival which I found out last night is a blessing. Stansted exceeded its abysmal service last night as I had to use baggage reclaim when arriving back in the UK after midnight - it was absolute pandemonium. It took almost a hour for the baggage to arrive on the carousel, flights were continually landing and the baggage hall was packed with tired people not knowing what was going on as there were no members of staff any where. The whole process was a total disgrace, people missed last trains and coaches to London, I felt so sorry for people arriving for a holiday and feeling stranded what a welcome to London. When I arrived at the hotel by the airport (I was flying out again in the morning) I was told that my experience is normal which was astounding, in future I will use another airport as the time spent travelling would be the same as hanging around that miserable baggage area.

"it's a nightmare"

Trip Verified | The airport departure lounge has always been too crowded. Bigger issue, restrooms. There are no bathrooms between the check-in area to the very center of the departure lounge, past duty free, which has been absolutely terrible, after a long wait in security there is no way to use the rest room immediately, I had to walk through duty free and then wait in line for the closest restroom another 8 minute walk to the overcrowded shopping restaurant lounge. This has happened to me on every flight, and it's a nightmare. Sometimes security is 45 minutes on a bad day and then you can not even use the restroom immediately afterwards. Finally, it's ridiculous you have to pay money for a trolley. I had a 20 kilo duffle bag and had no euros or pounds and no one in the arrivals area could exchange my 10 euro note. As I only have a foreign bank card which charges high fees, I was unwilling to pay 5 pounds to pull money out of an ATM and unwilling to lose the fee for exchanging only 10 euros I felt helpless. Don't charge for trolleys. I had to drag my bag across the airport floor embarrassingly, thus damaging it because it was too heavy to carry, this looks ridiculous that you do not have this convenience for people at an airport.
Date VisitApril 2018

"astonished at how the incident was handled"

Trip Verified | I wasn’t impressed by the £3.50 drop off charge, crowded and chaotic terminal and the winding route through a shopping mall that you’re forced to take after clearing security. At that point I’d say it was just a 3/5 kind of experience. But the real problem occurred later on. In a queue at the gate, the final call time came and went. Staff disappeared. Then a rumour started that there was a problem back in the terminal and we had to go back there. This seemed unlikely as there had been no announcements over the PA system or from any staff members. Eventually someone in a high-vis jacket appeared who said that they thought we were supposed to go back to the terminal. So, reluctantly, people started moving backwards, and joined a crush of people that stretched from the gate, through a series of narrow corridors (past turned-off escalators) through arrivals and back to the main terminal. Still no announcements, no alarms and no staff member I asked knew exactly what was going on. The terminal got more and more packed as passengers from every gate, and even the planes that had been on the tarmac, just kept arriving. We were told that we couldn’t leave the now overcrowded building and we just had to wait until someone worked out what to do next. It turned out that a bus had caught fire outside the terminal. According to the BBC news website the fire was put out while I was still in a queue at the gate. So it’s surprising that they decided to evacuate the entire building, cancel all flights and even stop planes already on the tarmac from taking off. It’s also surprising that they did all this without making any announcements (that I heard) for at least a couple of hours until after the incident occurred. Over 4 hours after the original departure time, staff at the airline desk - I had to queue up to try to rebook my flight - said they were astonished at how the incident was handled. If there had been a serious problem hundreds of people would have died, prevented from leaving the airport and instead turned around and trapped in an enormously overcrowded building with no instructions and clueless staff. I will never use Stansted again.
Date VisitMarch 2018