Top 100 Airports

London Stansted Airport

"greedy inefficient beast its become"

The departure lounge is one endless shopping mall in which air travel is a secondary concern to that of extracting every last coin from its captive guests. Departures gates are hidden by the obscene array of sales outlets and the hoardes of aimlessly wandering travellers just looking for somewhere to sit or information about their flight. Arrivals is no better an experience. When you arrive in passport control the queue management barriers force you to walk backwards and forwards several hundred yards to reach the new state of the art digital passport control system and guess what? Computer says no! It might save on the wages and pensions of immigration officer but it sure helps to increase the queue time. I travel from Stansted because its close, I used to like the airport but I sure hate with a passion the greedy inefficient beast its become.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"this airport is a mess"

We returned from our family holiday from Montenegro to Stansted yesterday. We waited in the passport control queue for over 90 minutes, nearly missing our next flight home to Glasgow. This airport is a mess. The customer experience is dreadful. I will try to never travel through it with my family again if at all possible.

"my experience was good"

There have been some truly awful reviews recently of London Stansted. Here are my experiences travelling out Friday early afternoon and returning mid evening Sunday - both times when the airport was presumably pretty busy. Outward I didn't have to check a bag, but did note that there were around 15 people queuing for easyJet bag drop and around 25 for Ryanair. Nobody could have had to wait for more than 10 min max. Security was a breeze - less than 10 min end to end, plenty of perfectly pleasant staff. Yes the compulsory walk through duty-free is tedious, but it takes less than 2 mins - I can live with that. The seating area did look a bit small but at no time was there any problem getting a seat due to the constant turnover of people. There is every conceivable choice of catering and retail outlet easily accessible here. My Ryanair flight left from gate 37 which involved taking the transit - was fast and easy. Return flights from Ireland are bussed to the terminal as there is no passport control, however I did note that queues were minimal for passport control. Having arrived at the gate at 1915 I was able to get the 1945 Stansted Express train with ample time to spare. Changing at Tottenham Hale on to the Victoria line I was at Oxford Circus at 2035, which I thought impressive. In conclusion, this airport does seem to have issues at certain times but my experience was good. Certainly comparable to and a lot better than many European airports recently used.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"no logic to this new layout"

My first visit to Stansted following it's redevelopment. Security has been relocated away from it's previous "landlocked" location at check in, and is now found at the back left of the terminal. From my experience, this change has worked well, as it allows one to by pass check in and go straight through to departures. Additionally, there are now more security lanes open, making the whole process more efficient. In saying this, I do agree with the comments regarding the walk-through duty free - MAG have failed miserably to create an efficient shopping route to the departure lounge, and instead, have chosen to force everyone to snake through a long narrow corridor full of shops with reps constantly spraying perfume at you. There is no logic whatsoever to this new layout, as there is barely enough space for people to walk alongside each other, and it is very difficult to get back to this area against the huge surge of passenger traffic. The new store is a disaster zone, as you'll often get people pushing and shoving with large bags in order to catch last minute flights. It must be a horrific experience for those with young children. However, once you've snaked your way out of duty free, the range of shops and restaurants in the departure lounge has improved dramatically since the BAA days, and from what I saw, there seems to be more seating than before. However, whilst I appreciate this, the fact that MAG have crammed so many shops / restaurants into a small space means there is much less natural light than before, giving you the impression that you are waiting in a cave. We also had a very pleasant surprise when we flew with Ryanair from satellite 2 (gates 20-39 accessed by the TTS), which was unusual. This area is much better than the main Ryanair "shed" (gates 40-59), as it offers much more space, seating and even airbridges. Ryanair (and other airlines) should make more use of this facility, as it is very much underused and often empty (there were only 3 flights operating from there when we flew out). However, the gate areas themselves look very tired and probably haven't been refurbished since they were first built. Overall, I would say STN has improved a lot since it's change of ownership, but it still has some way to go. It would be great to see more regular long haul flights from here, as there is strong demand for them.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"I would choose any other airport"

London Stansted is crowded, but unfortunately most London airports are. Arrival was ok, no long waiting times, you can reach the train station within less than 20 minutes if you travel with hand luggage only. Departure back home wasn't that pleasant unfortunately: long queues at the security checks and passport control, all people are guided through a narrow way with shops at both sides which makes the way to the also crowded waiting area a little annoying. The shuttle to the gates is sometimes only one car instead of two so we had to wait to get to our gate for about 15 minutes as there were so many people needing to take the train. If there's no other possibility, I'd fly to Stansted again, otherwise I would choose any other airport.
Date VisitJune 2016

"terminal is too small"

Stansted Airport has been undergoing "improvements" for some years now, but someone needs to tell them that they'll never work as the terminal is too small for the number of people travelling. We allowed bags of time for our one hour journey from Suffolk. Check in ok although there was a great big pillar in the middle of our check in area which restricted view of the desks. Security not too crowded early afternoon but very slow. I put all my stuff in the crate to be scanned and was beckoned through by staff so walked through the arch and stood in my allotted space to pick up my belongings. Except I failed to hear the guy with the crate ask me to put it through the scanner myself, so my husband had to push it along for me. This resulted in my bag being selected for a hand search "as something showed up". Gave permission and bag was swabbed inside and out, searched again and then re-scanned. Barely glanced at my tiny cosmetics in the regulation plastic bag though. All clear and got through to the next section - the winding walk through the duty free shops. No way round it as far as I'm aware - full of over made up women trying to flog you perfume. And what exactly is the point? Most people flying from Stansted are going to an EU destination so are not eligible for duty free anyway. Once through all this scrum you arrive in the central seating area which resembles a third rate hospital waiting area. No seats and we were lucky to grab a seat in the upstairs bar at Wetherspoons. Overheated, grubby and overpriced. Had to laugh at a wall socket with a chair in front of it holding a selection of customers' mobiles being charged up. Eventually got our gate number - not the transit this time but a 10 minute walk. On return the queues at UK Border were horrendous. Staff were shouting at us about using the E-passport lane which we did but still took over 30 mins and this was way past midnight. Then you get the usual people who fail to understand and are in the wrong lane. The signage in the baggage hall could be improved by putting the belt numbers up higher so they can be easily seen. Only good thing was that M&S was still open so we got milk and sandwiches. Car park bus arrived as we got outside so able to get back to car without too much wait. Bear in mind that the long term car park is around 4 miles away. Used to use meet and greet but they are now very poor. We'll probably go back to Gatwick in future even though it's twice the distance. Their improvements have worked. Stansted's have not.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"what a complete nightmare"

What a complete nightmare. I had the misfortune to use Stansted for outbound and inbound travel on the same day. Going out was okay, with one exception, the bottle neck of passengers all trying to board the monorail connecting the terminal building to the gates. It was chaotic and needed human presence there assisting the mass of people. This airport drastically needs to sort that out - fast. Returning very late on the same day and we were faced with a massive queue into border control. Human presence was there to try and control the flow of people, but they really had their work cut out. Half the bio passport scanning gates were switched off and those working rejected many passenger's passports. I estimate about 40% of passengers were having to then join a new queue to get their documents checked manually. Organisation was severely lacking and the experience was so awful that I shall in future avoid Stansted at every opportunity. Avoid Stansted, especially at weekends. Luton Airport is a much better alternative and the London connections just as good.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"extremely exhausting and uncomfortable"

(Bulgaria)

I have been to Stansted about 10 times so far. The first time was bad, however it was doable. Since then, every time it gets worse and worse. The departure lounge is overcrowded, noisy and usually there are not enough seats (sure you will find one for yourself but if you are with 2-3 more people - impossible). All the bars and food restaurants are crowded as well and there's no place to sit down. Another terrible thing about it is the Wifi connection. It is limited, usually slow and the signal is weak. Also, the network coverage inside the airport is poor making it even worse for getting in touch with people. I had a 6 hour layover there today and I couldn't connect to the WiFi at all. It was extremely exhausting and uncomfortable.

"utterly irritating"

The redevelopment at Stansted recently has meant that it looks new, but on departure they funnel you through a windy shopping mall before you're even remotely close to any gates. There is no clear thoroughfare to speak of and is utterly irritating. The food options are like your standard high street in the UK (ie. pretty bland) and again, feels cluttered and chaotic. The worst though is arriving. If you arrive at certain gates (I'm not sure I've ever used one of the air bridges there), it feels like you're coming through service corridors, which are freezing cold in winter, and an absolute joke in terms of a welcomvthat pile in on a Sunday. Of the 30 electronic gates they have there, only 12 were functional. When I asked why I was told they were understaffed with immigration officers. The place was heaving, too, with the line reaching all the way back down the stairs and through the arrivals corridors. It added 40 minutes to the arrivals process and is an absolute disgrace that they under-staff this particular facility, infuriating customers after having already travelled for many hours from their destination. My advice is, unless it's extremely convenient (and don't forget, budget the extra half an hour on your feet that the immigration under-staffing will incur) don't fly through Stansted.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"really does depend what time of day"

From my experience, it really does depend what time of day you fly in/out of Stansted as to whether you have a good experience or not. Flew out from Stansted this time on an morning flight around 07.30. As expected during that time of morning the Terminal was pretty busy so used Fast Track Security which was well worth the extra cost as was through in under 5 minutes. To my surprise, the Departure Lounge was not packed with as many people as I expected and although a vast improvement since the refurbishment, is still not big enough in my opinion. We could have found seats if we wanted but instead spent time time round the excellent range of shops, bars/restaurants, probably better than Gatwick to be honest. The Gates 20-39 area we boarded from looks as if it's seen better days and should probably be next for a refurbishment. On return at around 22.30, we sailed straight back through Passport control using the e-gates and was back in the car park only 20 minutes after landing. Would definitely recommend the Meet & Greet parking for added convenience every time. Overall a good airport and will continue to use when flights suit.
Date VisitMay 2016