London Stansted Airport

"not giving this shambles any more of my money"

Verified Review | Drop-off and collection - just awful and a rip off. Living nearby I actually qualify for the resident discount scheme, but they changed the scheme a while back and told nobody, so no cards work. Applied for new cards with all info needed (ID, address proof etc). After 2 weeks, having heard nothing I chased. That was ignored. I chased again today (&cc'd MAG CEO for good measure - email available via Google). Nothing from CEO but it did prompt a response of "Interest has been very strong in this scheme, your application will be processed as soon as we can but we do appreciate your patience" suggesting scheme is new. It is not - this is an excuse for "keep paying £3.50 each time, not the £1 you're entitled to. This inaction has cost me 4 x £3.50 instead of £4 this month, with a couple more trips needed soon. I need to book a number of flights for business soon, but will book Gatwick or Heathrow - I'm not giving this shambles any more of my money. And that's just outside. Inside - I last flew from there in May - you wait ages to check in, security is a joke (just caused chaos adding more security lanes but they don't staff them) and then you have to walk through "enforced shopping" (a la Ikea to get to the waiting area where 80% of the seats have been replaced by shops. Oh, and they don't put up your gate too quickly, which would enable you to get to somewhere you might find a seat, they want you to walk around shopping. Just use somewhere else!
Date VisitJuly 2017

"simply a disaster"

Verified Review | This airport between the hours of 6-10 am is simply a disaster. 2 hours is not enough for drop off your bagage and passing over the security zone, minimum is 3, security zone is too small. Airport needs a bigger duty free shop because people are flying for DFS only. Similar situations are on entry to the UK between the hours of 9-12 pm where there are a lot of people waiting for passport checking.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"would much prefer to drive further to Gatwick"

Unverified | My last journey from Stansted has not improved my opinion of this airport. Firstly on arrival we saw no security or police when entering the terminal. We assumed they would be highly visible due to the current terrorist situation. We actually commented that anybody could have entered the terminal building and left a bag causing carnage. The baggage drop-off area for Easyjet was extremely busy and we had to use a do-it-yourself machine for our luggage which again made us think anybody could place explosives in this area without being questioned. The meet and greet service we chose was well organised but once inside the terminal it was chaos as usual. After dropping off our luggage it was a long walk to passport control joining zigzag queues with very limited staff to keep people moving. Once through it was another long walk passing all the duty free shops only to be greeted by numerous "designer" high priced stores taking up space desperately needed for passengers. The new seating is arranged so close to the people opposite you literally had to climb over their legs to reach a seat. There were also people sleeping along 3 or 4 seats with their bags blocking the narrow aisles. I don't think most people are interested in buying from these shops as they are never busy. The toilets are also a long way from the seating areas. On our return to the airport in the early hours of the morning there were 5 or 6 flights all arriving in close proximity but passport control didn't seem to realise this! Many e-passport passengers were being rejected and then having to re-queue at just one desk which took ages. This is the closest airport to where we live, but I'm afraid I would much prefer to drive further to fly from Gatwick. Get your act together Stansted!
Date VisitJune 2017

"1.5 hours to clear passport control"

Unverified | Travelled on the Thursday before half term with the flight leaving at 0650. Did not use the Stansted Meet & Greet where you have to queue to drop your keys off, but a 'proper' version so getting into the terminal was easy as we did not have to do a drop-off (where the queue up the ramp was already building). Bag drop off: easy as we were on the only Jet2 flight leaving at that time. Security: we paid for Priority and it was worth every penny as then there were only 10 people in front of us. Departure area: as people have said, there is a severe lack of seating in this area. Transfer to gate: gate posted up early allowing more than enough time to get to the gate. Returning is where the issues lie for me. We landed at lunchtime on a Thursday and it took us almost 2 hours to get from landing to being outside the airport, over half of which was spent queuing for passport control. We have young children so I can't comment on the e-gates, but they seemed to be moving smoothly. However, there is a complete lack of signage telling people how to queue for e-gates vs. seeing someone, as the entrance area to passport control was absolutely rammed full of people (and the person advising people where to go was rude). While the queue constantly moves forward, it is Disney-esque in its length. How can it take 1.5 hours to clear passport control in the 21st century. We asked the man looking at the passports about the ridiculous queue and he said it all depends on what time you land: at some stages of the day you'll wait for about 20 minutes, but half an hour later you could be queuing for 90 minutes. This is especially a problem if you're landing around midnight. To summarise: outbound was not an issue, but returning highlights exactly what people mentioned below. If you can get Priority Security then buy it, especially when landing. Without it I would never choose to fly from here again.
Date VisitJune 2017

"the worst airport in the world"

Verified Review | This is the worst airport in the world. The whole experience from beginning to end is horrendous. Firstly the terminal drop off is so badly designed that you have a 15 minute plus queue to be dropped off and then they have the audacity to charge 3.50 for the privilege. Outrageous. Once inside things are not much better. Queues everywhere and you are literally herded from one place to another. My advice is to avoid this airport if you possibly can. We will never use it again and would be happy to drive the extra hour to Heathrow to avoid it.
Date VisitJune 2017

"experiences with this airport are very positive"

Verified Review | My experiences with this airport are very positive. I am a frequent traveler and depart mostly from this airport. I traveled from this airport on a Ryanair flight to Eindhoven (NL) with a flight duration of 50 minutes. I used the train to come in 60 minutes prior to departure. 5 minute walk to the terminal. Now, if you fly for the first time from Stansted as an inexperienced traveler, this airport will make you feel a bit stressed as the airport is very busy and you are 'rushed' through all processes to get you to the terminal. This efficiency I however appreciate, as I just want to get to my destination quickly. I used Ryanair's self-service bag drop for my 2 bags. You weigh them on a scale, put a tag on, walk to a conveyor belt, press a few buttons and off goes your bag. It took me 10 minutes total to drop my bags, but this could have gone faster if it were not for the lady assigning the scales to people who was slow in assigning scales. Then I walk to departures by scanning the barcode on my ticket (digital/paper both work) in one of the many gates to the security area. My security check took 10 minutes. I have always timed my walk-through time here for fun and it takes between 5-20 minutes to get through security. This can be delayed by at least 15 minutes if you leave liquids in your bag. So on this trip it took me 25 minutes to get from train to the main terminal. The departure terminal is where problems are with this airport. Despite being brand new, the terminal is in my opinion too small to deal with the number of passengers it processes. After security I walked through a lane of shopping with good offers, but the lane is too small and groups hold up other passengers. The seating in the terminal building is sufficient and comfortable, but was busy which is not relaxing. One can choose between an actual seat or a 'bench'-like structure for the quick traveller without a back rest. The latter offers USB connections and plugs, but all of these do not work. The wifi connection is sufficient for checking some flight info. The food options are comparable to London St. Pancras - fast food, coffee, so forth. Took me 5 minutes in line to get some food. My flight was called on the many screens 25 minutes before departure. It was a modest 10 min walk to the gate and a further 10 minute wait in line before boarding. The airport offers automated trains to terminals that are further away. If your aim is a getting a cheap flight, a very fast bag drop, a swift security check and a bit of tax free shopping, this airport is 5*. If you are elderly and/or inexperienced, I suggest you arrive 2 hours prior to departure and pay a bit more to go to the Stansted Escape Lounge so you feel more relaxed. Otherwise, your Stansted experience will be more similar to the other people who have reviewed this airport.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"Nobody around to take responsibility"

Verified Review | The train that takes you to the gates broke down en route. We were at the mercy of the technicians to fix the train. They finally got it moving to the first stop (our gate was the second stop). We were told to get off the train and someone would meet us and help. That never happened. Everyone we talked to said they didn't know what to do and one girl with a Ryanair jacket said she doesn't work there. Nobody around to take responsibility as we were abandoned somewhere we had no way of getting out of. One worker (nobody from supervision) took pity on us and arranged for a bus. Unfortunately, this bus took us to baggage claim as if we just arrived from a flight. As this ordeal lasted for several hours, we were told we had to see our airline for further instruction. With the airline being Ryanair, they decided to charge everyone (a couple dozen passengers) 3 to 4 times our original fares to re-book our flights. Since nobody wanted to stay in Hell (Stansted) any longer, everyone paid. One poor girl had to pay an extra 600 to re-book. Yes, we have complaints in to the airport (no reply after a week of waiting) and Ryanair (who said we should have found a way to get to the gate). What a pathetic excuse of an airport. Obviously unimpressed with the airline we flew but apparently they deserve each other.

"truly dreadful service"

Unverified | Truly dreadful service by UK passport control and border force at Stansted Airport. Totally inadequate staffing levels. Rude staff. Maybe 50 out of the 70 e-passport gates are not working or "closed due to staff shortages" I asked one of the staff why the service levels are always so poor. He agreed that the service at Stansted is currently awful and recommended I make a formal complaint. Never waited less than 1 hour to clear passport control. Stansted has been starved of investment by its owners.
Date VisitJune 2017

"my experience has been extremely positive"

Verified Review | I regularly use Stansted airport for European trips and whist I agree that it could do with more seating in the departure area my experience has been extremely positive. The security staff are patient, courteous, friendly and efficient. Even though I went through security at 4:00am I was greeted with a smile from many of them, no mean feat at that time in the morning. Transit to the departure gates is a few minutes walk (or a short train ride) but no worse than many UK airports. Negative comments on this forum seem to come from people with unrealistic expectations and who may need a bit more patience and empathy for those who do a demanding job in challenging circumstances. Allow enough time and you will have a more pleasant experience at the airport.

London Stansted Airport customer review

Verified Review | We were appalled that Visual Security was non existent, in the light of the UK recent terrorism incidents, we expected to see enhanced visual security but no police or security to be seen. There was just one very young inexperienced man at the passport control, where most people were in utter confusion getting through the supposed hi tech failure of a system, that is yet another penny pinching project (Causing chaos to travellers), to save having to pay for persons to have professional border controls. If you think that that system was rubbish, we were forced to walk through the shopping areas, with sales people pushing their products in your face, when all you want to do is exit.