London Stansted Airport

"totally rammed as always"

Unverified | We flew to Dalaman with Thomas Cook for a two week holiday. We checked in at 3pm and security was petty swift. Then we hit the nightmare shopping mall and eatery area, this was totally rammed as always, with nowhere to sit down and queues at all the restaurants we went straight to the departure shuttle. Arriving back at 3am the passport control was very swift. I personally don't like this airport everything is now so tightly squeezed into Sir Noman Foster designed building, they need extend the terminal.

"busy and chaotic"

Unverified | Awful airport - busy and chaotic - resembles a building site. Restaurants all busy and the one we chose had ran out of our first choice for breakfast, nowhere to sit as so very crowded. Would now only use Gatwick or Heathrow parking - get charged for just dropping people off with their bags!
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"staff so slow and so picky"

Verified Review | We arrived at Stansted eventually after 5 hours of travelling (should have been 3 hours). Traffic was horrendous. Finding where we was supposed to park took up at least another 20 minutes of our time . Shuttle bus admittedly arrived quite quick but seemed to take forever to get to the airport. Once at the airport my 77 year old mother who had been desperate for the toilet for quite a while was disappointed to find the toilets where actually located possibly half a mile away from the entrance - being disabled and being in a hurry we decided it would be best to carry on in the opposite direction and get through customs as quickly as possible. We had fast track! I have never met staff so slow and so picky. They knew we were in a hurry and purposely were taking small liquid bottles out of clear packaging and scanning them etc : makeup bottle, small shampoo bottles. At one point the girl must have spent at least 2 minutes trying to force a container into a plastic bag and fasten it, clearly it wasn't going to fit. She did eventually fasten the plastic zip thing which just opened and sprawled out all over the place when she gave me it back. I must point out that I don't particularly like my underwear being pulled out and on show for all the public to see. Maybe she could see how frustrated I was getting (my face gives everything away) I was under impression at this point she was doing this on purpose 'because she could'. I was very concerned about my mum I knew she was desperate for the toilet. She also had to go through the same uncomfortable scrutinising search. We missed our flight. Possibly even if we hadn't gone through the torture of customs we wouldn't have made it. Apparently you had to walk through the equivalent of four football pitches before you even get to the gate at the same time fighting off sales people and dodging others going in the opposite direction. Two weeks earlier I had been to Turkey from another airport. There wasn't anything different in my bags. Nothing got confiscated, one item was highlighted but sorted as quickly as possible. I've never travelled from Stansted before. I go abroad at least three times a year. We were off to a wedding the next day. We didn't rebook our flight, we didn't go on holiday. We went home deflated.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"would sooner pay double than experience this again"

Unverified | As someone who travels abroad from the UK at least 3 times a year I have never experienced the incompetence I had to experience at Stansted Airport. Even though we went through fast track and yes we were a bit late due to traffic (a normal drive would have taken us 2 hours in this case it took us 4 hours) we arrived at Stansted 20 minutes before our flight was due to go. Yes me personally and my 77 year old mother were subjected to searches due to metallic objects on us and a couple of liquids which we had forgotten to bag (fair enough I'm all for security) what I can't understand is the slowness of the staff, they knew the argency. Even bagged objects were being scrutinised - make up, suntan lotion etc was scanned (in slow motion) one point the staff kept trying to put something into a plastic bag which clearly wouldn't fit, but she kept trying to make it fit, kept trying to fasten the zip thing which obviously wasn't having it, eventually she gave it back to me, I opened it up again just threw it in my bag. Then it was my mums turn and the same thing happened. My mum at this point was desperate for the toilet, after all the palava of finding a parking space then waiting for the shuttle bus, getting to the airport realising the one toilet was too far away and just going through first was probably the best thing to do and then finding a toilet had taken its toll. Yes we missed our flight. As I said I travel a lot but I will never ever set foot in this airport again, I would sooner pay double than experience this again.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"had no staff to bring the staircase"

Verified Review | I had to fly in and out of Stansted airport last week, and both were a disaster. In Eindhoven our plane had 1.5 hours delay, and the delay was said to have been the fault of Stansted Airport, according to staff. We arrived quite a bit later than planned in London, but then had to wait in the airplane for well over half an hour subsequently, because Stansted had no staff to bring the staircase. Chatting with staff made it again clear that this was a common occurrence and that it had happened that same week already several times. Massive rows of people to get through passport control. We had so much delay that we scarcely could catch the last train and subway to/in town. Then the next day had to fly out of Stansted again and was 3 hours early, but caught up in a sea of travelers who all tried to get through luggage control, which took us two hours. Bags had to be put through controls three times and staff was bickering with travelers adding to the sour look on everybodies faces. Super hot inside. Endless shops to pass, at least 10 minutes walk to make it to the furthest gate (they announce the gate 25 minutes before boarding, so you have a horde of people queuing in front of the information panels first, and then a horde of people rushing to the gate, so best always take priority seating to avoid this madness and the elbows and evil eyes while lining up at the gate, long line ups as planes seem always delayed at Stansted). My return plane also had a big delay again. Never again, this airport.

"£3.50 to drop off"

Unverified | £3.50 to drop off which takes 10 seconds at Stansted airport. This is unjustified and amounts to a tax at best and at worst a scam. Also the entry road is often backed up towards the motorway early mornings meaning you need to add 30 minutes to your travel or risk missing your flight. The whole thing is poorly thought out, very poorly run and then to have to pay is beyond a joke. Often the pay machines do not work either. Worst airport experience I have ever encountered and in this day and age well below acceptable standards. Worst thing is they keep jacking up the price when there can be no tangible increase in overhead or costs to warrant it. It was £2 not so long ago but now nearly doubled - why? Trouble is where do you wait if communicating by phone to co ordinate the pick up, you get 10 minutes and then it jumps to £50! There should be a free park nearby provided as the passport queues are rubbish as well and the planes are often late and of course if flying with Ryanair a walk or bus not a sky bridge is a further delay. I will boycott Stansted in future. Not that they will care.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"looks like a shopping centre and not an airport"

Verified Review | Oh Stansted, how you have turned into something dire. Stansted Citylink straight into the airport, where it was a short walk to the terminal. Paid £1 to weigh bag, but you expect that in a low cost environment. I got there when it just opened that morning so it was a breeze through security with no delay for which Stansted is famous for. Straight to the lounge through the endless shops and seats which were already full, Stansted looks like a shopping centre and not an airport and it feels as such. Good signage to the lounge and the lounge was nice but not great. Very much busy with tables reserved for pre-purchasers. The queue in Boots is quite substantial in the morning so I ended up dumping my to be purchases and running to the gate. Not ideal but just got to my flight at the furthest of the gates from the terminal, a good 10 minute walk or 5 minute run! On arrival, it was business as usual at Stansted. Arriving at around midnight, we were bussed to the terminal. One bus for all the flight meant being squeezed; crew and passengers alike. On arrival, told to walk through a dark corridor to land at the border but it has automatic lights so not too bad. Would of been nice to be told that by the desperate to finish crew. No queues at the EU line of immigration where it seems all EU passport holders must use the e-passport gates which are quite efficient and quick. Waited an age for my bag to come out of the carousel and was quickly in arrivals which is even busier landside; full of taxi drivers. My girlfriend said parking was extortionate but was close to the terminal. Flying Ryanair, you are left with not much choice from London. Stansted is busy, crampt and at the best of times, warm and hot. Although it is rather clean and signage is okay. I'd avoid.
Date VisitJune 2017

"all staff without exception were extremely kind"

Verified Review | As has been my experience over the years at Stansted and other airports, I have observed the considerable skills demonstrated by the staff in the check-in areas before every flight. They have a very difficult job with dealing with hundreds of passengers who are often stressed at the beginning of their journeys. The staff have to be patient, assertive and have the ability to keep all the passengers moving to avoid delays. On 25th July I found I had lost my passport after passing the check-in area and immediately retraced my steps. At the time I thought that I would have to miss my flight and let my elderly husband travel on his own and return home with the task of getting a replacement. All the staff without exception helped me to check my luggage and find the passport. They were extremely kind and at no time made me feel I was a nuisance and were hindering them in their job. Unlike myself, they were optimistic that the passport would be found and reassured me that all was not lost. Through the use of CCTV and with the procedure they have for such events, they were able to locate my passport which I had inadvertently put in another passenger's bag. I should like to thank everybody on this occasion who enabled this traumatic event to reach a happy conclusion.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"uncompensated sufferers are the customers"

Verified Review | BA flight from Ibiza 90 minutes late arriving (delayed like all flights that evening following weather storms in UK). Arrives Stansted Sunday morning at 4.00am. Dismebarked plane and bussed to terminal and walked through passport control to go to a largely empty baggage reclaim hall in less than 15 minutes but passengers from two other earlier flights still waiting for their bags to arrive and they said they'd been waiting 2 hours. It took 1 hour after we arrived in reclaim hall for our bags to arrive. Other than a slightly hassled Jet2 rep (who to be fair wasn't there from the airport, BA or anything to do with our BA flight at all) there was no one to complain to or provide any information). There are no visible service standards to which Stansted Airport must adhere. Stansted's website says that baggage reclaim is the airline's responsibility. Yet it also reveals that there is a Service Quality (SQ) arrangement between the airline and Stansted whereby the airline is to be rebated if Stansted fails. Work out the circularity for yourself: the uncompensated sufferers are the customers. Personally, I won't be using Stansted airport ever again.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Arrived three hours early and it was heaving"

Verified Review | Depressing. Arrived three hours early and it was heaving. No queue control at Pegasus check-in. 90 minutes in queue, that is the airlines fault. Stupid enough to leave a bottle of water in my carry-on. Took forever to get the bag checked. Supervisor more interested in distracting the checkers by chatting to them. Forced to walk through numerous "duty free" shops to get to seating area which again was heaving. Thankfully had lounge access. Train journey to the gate which was quite nice.
Date VisitJuly 2017