Airline of the Year

London Stansted Airport

"Nobody around to take responsibility"

Verified Review | The train that takes you to the gates broke down en route. We were at the mercy of the technicians to fix the train. They finally got it moving to the first stop (our gate was the second stop). We were told to get off the train and someone would meet us and help. That never happened. Everyone we talked to said they didn't know what to do and one girl with a Ryanair jacket said she doesn't work there. Nobody around to take responsibility as we were abandoned somewhere we had no way of getting out of. One worker (nobody from supervision) took pity on us and arranged for a bus. Unfortunately, this bus took us to baggage claim as if we just arrived from a flight. As this ordeal lasted for several hours, we were told we had to see our airline for further instruction. With the airline being Ryanair, they decided to charge everyone (a couple dozen passengers) 3 to 4 times our original fares to re-book our flights. Since nobody wanted to stay in Hell (Stansted) any longer, everyone paid. One poor girl had to pay an extra 600 to re-book. Yes, we have complaints in to the airport (no reply after a week of waiting) and Ryanair (who said we should have found a way to get to the gate). What a pathetic excuse of an airport. Obviously unimpressed with the airline we flew but apparently they deserve each other.

"truly dreadful service"

Unverified | Truly dreadful service by UK passport control and border force at Stansted Airport. Totally inadequate staffing levels. Rude staff. Maybe 50 out of the 70 e-passport gates are not working or "closed due to staff shortages" I asked one of the staff why the service levels are always so poor. He agreed that the service at Stansted is currently awful and recommended I make a formal complaint. Never waited less than 1 hour to clear passport control. Stansted has been starved of investment by its owners.
Date VisitJune 2017

"my experience has been extremely positive"

Verified Review | I regularly use Stansted airport for European trips and whist I agree that it could do with more seating in the departure area my experience has been extremely positive. The security staff are patient, courteous, friendly and efficient. Even though I went through security at 4:00am I was greeted with a smile from many of them, no mean feat at that time in the morning. Transit to the departure gates is a few minutes walk (or a short train ride) but no worse than many UK airports. Negative comments on this forum seem to come from people with unrealistic expectations and who may need a bit more patience and empathy for those who do a demanding job in challenging circumstances. Allow enough time and you will have a more pleasant experience at the airport.

London Stansted Airport customer review

Verified Review | We were appalled that Visual Security was non existent, in the light of the UK recent terrorism incidents, we expected to see enhanced visual security but no police or security to be seen. There was just one very young inexperienced man at the passport control, where most people were in utter confusion getting through the supposed hi tech failure of a system, that is yet another penny pinching project (Causing chaos to travellers), to save having to pay for persons to have professional border controls. If you think that that system was rubbish, we were forced to walk through the shopping areas, with sales people pushing their products in your face, when all you want to do is exit.
Date VisitJune 2017

"fly to another London airport"

Stuck in the plane after arrival due to lack of ground staff. Not the first time I regret flying to it from Stansted. Long queues (maybe 45 mins in security), gate announced last minute, limited space to sit in the waiting area. Honestly if you have a choice fly to another London airport.
Date VisitJune 2017

"particularly awful with endless queues "

Verified Review | Everytime I have arrived at night into Stansted we have been stuck on the plane for a while waiting for ground personel to arrive. Tonight passport control was particularly awful with endless queues it took about half an hour to get to the electronic gates. Most of them seemed to be temperamental and we were sent on to another queue of 15 + minutes to have passports checked manually. Service wasnt very friendly and pretty indifferent.
Date VisitMay 2017

"very poor introduction to the UK"

This airport is a very poor introduction to the UK for visitors. Generally run down with an obvious low level of investment in maintenance and refurbishment. Not sure whether it's poverty or greed on behalf of the owners. A few simple examples: The border control passport readers are always either broken, rationed, or unreliable (compared to say Schipol), with an overstressed member of staff trying to help everybody. Toilets outside of passport control are disgusting. Obviously haven't been cleaned. Fittings corroded or broken. Had to try 3 hand dryers before found one that worked. Security always stressful. It doesn't have to be this way if managers knew how to manage.

"An absolute disaster"

Verified Review | An absolute disaster as a family friendly airport. Poor security experience followed by an insulting rabbit warren of shameless duty free. This once thoughtfully designed airport has been utterly destroyed. A nightmare of an ordeal that is no way to start or end any trip. Avoid.
Date VisitMay 2017

"temperature inside being too hot"

Verified Review | Scanning, searching, sniffing machines and manual search for 2.5 year old child. 4 person family totally searched by security, no gloves. Air conditioning in waiting are does not seems to work at all. Kids complain about temperature inside being too hot.
Date VisitMay 2017

"sullen and thoroughly unpleasant"

Verified Review | Security - never a good experience, but everybody knows why it has to be done and puts up with it. But the staff at Stansted Security seem to take a great deal of pleasure in making the experience as unpleasant as they possibly can. Smile? No! Treat us like human beings? Don't be silly! Make a small mistake? You're a potential criminal/terrorist. There wasn't the slightest spark of humanity in any of them, they were sullen and thoroughly unpleasant. I made the mistake of not taking my iPad out of my bag. Also, I set the sensor off when I was scanned. For the former transgression I got the full works of bag all dragged about (my daughter got the same and the member of staff actually screwed her clothes up to shove them back into her bag and then laughed when she took them out again to fold them up properly), then a full drugs test, and then, after all that, the bag got sent through the scanner again - cue another long wait. And when I set the sensor off I had the full body scan, and then a proper good feeling up, which I swear they enjoy. Not one smile, not one mention of "I know it's a nuisance, but we all have to do it". They were all ghastly and Stansted should send them on training courses to sort out their attitude to the customers. Because, after all, we are customers, and we are paying to use the airport. You would never know it from the way the staff behaved.