Vote Now

London Stansted Airport

"re-training needs to be administered"

Verified Review | This was the first time flying on my own and I found the airport bright and very easy to use, plenty of information boards and seating and once through security a pleasant experience. Unfortunately it was going through security that I found a rather unpleasant side to the airport, firstly a rather sarcastic female security person who wrongly thought she had to lean across and pull my tray on to the rollers to x-ray with an "oh I'll put your tray across shall I" until I politely made it clear I hadn't put my stuff in a tray yet. Then as I'd forgotten to take my clear plastic bag out of my bag (totally my fault I have to add) another female security person took it upon herself to be as rude as you could possibly be to someone (and two others who had done the same as me), I watched after I'd got my stuff back and realised it wasn't just me they were being rude to, nearly every person had to endure a sarcastic comment of some sort. Some serious re-training needs to be administered I think.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"a good selection of shops/restaurants and cafes"

(Spain)

We found all the staff helpful and polite. There was a good selection of shops/restaurants and cafes although there was a long walk through before you got to the main area. The major negative for us was that there was not enough seating. All of the cafes/bars and restaurants were full and the general area seating was full. People were sitting on the floor everywhere.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"a badly designed, badly managed and understaffed airport"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | As I travel using the 'special assistance' facility I was fortunate to miss (but still observe) the horrendous queues at Immigration and Security. However on arrival there was no lift available (in spite of being pre-booked) which delayed the returning Ryanair flight and, according to the flight crew, was a regular occurrence at Stansted. From there onwards normal service resumed although only 2 ladies for about 10 wheelchairs and my wife had to push me and luggage to the car park bus stop. On return, although to be fair we arrived early, we had to wait 2 hours land side before being rushed through security - where they wanted to confiscate my walking sticks until my wife pointed out that I was in a wheelchair and without them would fall over - and then to the gate where the lift had failed to turn up and the helper had to push me in freezing conditions 150 yds to the waiting aircraft. The overall impression was of a badly designed, badly managed and understaffed airport where the only redeeming feature was the friendliness of the staff in difficult circumstances.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"nearest and smallest not always best"

Verified Review | Just my second visit here. First one was a total disaster. Thanks to a prolonged delay checking in with Ryanair we had to be rushed via special assistance through security. But without the assistance we would surely have had missed the flight. Good and thorough check on every individual liquid/cream at security. My walking aid was taken off me and never returned. When I complained to the airport at a later date they accepted no responsibility. Asked if I wanted a quote to have it shipped out to me. No thanks! In future I shall avoid this airport. Nearest and smallest not always best.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"worst we have to offer"

Went to Stansted late on Sunday evening to pick-up relatives from arrivals. Short-term pick-up parking arrangements are abysmal. £3 to dive-by the terminal with a £50 fine if you linger for more than 10 minutes and no return within two hours. So first £3 to linger but ran out of time, then £9 to park by the train station. Terminal is a joke, broken elevators and the seating in the waiting area is totally inadequate and completely occupied by people laying down over 4 or five seats. Dozens sprawled on the floor. Toilets are filthy and the car-park ticket machines will not take the new £5 note months after it has been introduced and even though the nearest ATM to the ticket machines dispenses nothing but new £5 notes and the ticket machines have no signage that £5 are not accepted. I am 57 years old and was always proud of Britain, our airports and organisation superior compared to most places I travelled. Nowadays the rest of the world has caught up and surpassed Britain. Stansted is a joke; poorly run, poorly staffed and embarrassing that visitors to this country have to suffer the very worst we have to offer, on arrival.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"over an hour from landing to train"

Massive problems on arrival to London Stansted. Not allowed off plane for 30 minutes, at last get to the passport gates and only a few open. Over an hour from landing to train, nothing changes for the better at Stansted - easily the worst London airport for arriving passengers.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"it does seem that it's somewhat pot luck with Stansted"

Verified Review | Whilst I still hark back to the former Stansted under BAA and how I really enjoyed travelling through it I have to realise that times have changed and the growing numbers of passengers and destinations from Stansted have made today's airport unavoidable. I suppose that being a business traveller with the ability to afford such 'luxuries' as fast track security makes me immune to the discomfort and inconvenience experienced by so many Stansted travellers. I would say that my latest experience overall was positive even though the number of passengers in departure was extremely high and the lack of seating was therefore indeed an issue as is the 'shopping centre' which you have to go through to get to the gates. Indeed I wonder how many of these shops will actually survive in the long term as they are nearly always empty as people hurry to catch their flights. I would agree with many commentators on this site though that the toilets are pretty dirty and MAG really need to pay attention to that. There's no excuse for poor hygiene. My arrival was somewhat seamless. From arrival at the gate to being into the car park after passport control and baggage collection was 30 minutes. Not bad at all. It does seem that it's somewhat pot luck with Stansted as to the conditions at the precise time of travel. Mine was OK, it's just not my favourite airport and I don't really relish travelling from there.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"a shockingly poor airport"

What an awful experience. Security staff treat you like dirt, and are almost looking for fights by responding to questions in a smart-aleccy way. They seem to treat innocent questions as threats to their authority and become super-defensive. Next thing was the heat. The place was absolutely thronged with people today, as I'm sure it is most days, and I could see people suffering under the intense heat. This so-called modern airport doesn't even have air-conditioning! Third thing - intermittent, weak WiFi. Unless it's stable, don't bother offering it in the first place. It only frustrates people more. Fourth. The ridiculous long walk through the shopping mall to get to the departure gates. It was endless, and the sparkly floor is tacky and gaudi-looking. All in all, a shockingly poor airport. Avoid at all costs.

"toilets are appalling"

Toilets in London Stansted airport are appalling. They either don't work, not cleaned or totally inadequate in number. Not an airport I would recommend. There is no excuse. They charge enough and cannot manage facility to make it usable.

"an airport badly run"

Stansted Airport should be ashamed. Arrived yesterday at 19:15 - queues were out of the door. People herded into lines of under 12s, passengers with ID cards and the rest - us! It appears that those with ID go through much quicker than those with UK Passports. We are herded to the ePassport gates, 10 of which were closed and others rejected the chipped passports so those people had to go to another area to go through manually. It really is like a third world airport. I have travelled to numerous countries in and out of the EU and haven't come across this. We all appreciate that security is a priority but this is total incompetence - an airport badly run.