London Stansted Airport

Review by (United Kingdom)

For me this airport has gone from one of best in Europe to the worst. Its original design was quick, simple and easy to use, it's now cluttered, overcrowded and disjointed. I know this airport was always going to get busier, but now trying to filter every flight through a check in/security turnstile which is obviously too small for capacity, will always cause problems and misery! Also, on 2 occasions my gate number was displayed 15 mins before the gate closed which was a good 10 mins away. Maybe if the added some much needed extra flight screens they could show all the flights at one time, or just update the screens in plenty of time before a flight. Also waiting over 40 mins on numerous occasions for baggage is unacceptable. Also £2.50 to drop off and pick up every time (unless you want to be dropped off 2 miles away and wait for a bus) is a complete rip off. I noticed that the majority of the flights seem to be Ryanair, which is regarded as one of the worst airlines to travel on, I feel Stansted airport and Ryanair deserve each other, unfortunately the airport is the most local to me and Ryanair the only flights going to my needed destination, I guess I can only moan like everyone else. A terrible Airport.

Review by (United Kingdom)

This airport is worse than awful. Insufficient seating, dirty toilets, overcrowding everywhere and rude staff when you can find them. Forget the misleading hype on their website, and don't pay for the cheap nasty lounges

London Stansted Airport customer review

Review by (United States)

This has to be the worst airport I have departed from. The way it's laid out and the fact that they don't tell you your gate number until about twenty minutes before boarding make it terribly easy to miss your flight. We got there early in the morning and we checked in fairly easily but once we got into the terminal things went downhill. We waited in an extremely packed room where everyone had to wait for their flights. Since we were there a few hours early it was understandable that they didn't give us our gate number. We decided to go get some coffee but every single place had at least a twenty minute wait. We decided to get some snacks so we went into a small store (WHSmith) and I grabbed some pringles. Then we got in line. We waited and waited until it was our turn to pay but it turned out they weren't accepting credit cards, which was all that I had. We stormed out of the store having wasted a good fifteen minutes. It was about an hour until departure and still no gate numbers. Finally about twenty minutes before the flight everyone in that room crowded around one big screen where they began announcing gate numbers. Now, in Stansted, there are three areas when you board. Two of them take about a 5 minute walk to get to and one takes a 10 minute train ride. Unfortunately we were lucky enough to have to take the train. We got on a packed train and we stood until we were at our stop. We had very little before our flight left and I was thinking to myself, "We're going to miss the flight, aren't we?" We went up an escalator and walked down a hall. Then we had to get our passports checked and of course, we had to wait in a long line. We finally got to where the gate was and we realized there was no bridge. You had to walk outside and walk to the plane. But not only that, there were no employees guiding you! You could go to whatever plane you wanted. We got on the familiar Ryanair 737-800 we assumed was ours and fortunately enough, it was. What a terrible airport. Not only is it bad but its the only way to access London from certain locations. I would never go there again, but unfortunately we don't have a choice.
Date VisitJune 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

Unfortunately all I have heard about Stansted airport proved to be true on our journey to Spain on August 13th. We were travelling as a party of 7 which included 4 adults and 3 children under 8. We arrived at 4am to a horrendously busy departure area. The easyJet check in desks were really busy and seemed understaffed with not all desks open in spite of the amount of passengers. Security was also very busy and then we arrived in the new shopping area which cannot be avoided as you are channelled through it. For young children this was very stressful as this area was crowded but worse was to come when we finally got through to the waiting area. This was dimly lit and every seat was taken and all food outlets were completely inundated. Why has the new Wetherspoons got an upstairs area that is impossible to access with a buggy? Then the gates opened and everyone surged for the train. For young children this was terrifying as they got separated from adults in the crush and there were only a couple of airport personnel trying to control the situation. We have been using the airport for the past 30years and always considered that the airport experience was a pleasurable part of our holiday but alas no more it seems. We will definitely be looking at alternatives to Stansted in the future as this was not a pleasant experience.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Arrived Sunday midday. Car hire prepaid. In terminal all car hire offices closed! being a Sunday and having used hire car many years we the proceeded down ramps to car hire pick up point. Having picked up car before there out of hours, we expected to do the same. Car park Empty. We ring car hire. We have moved - you need to get a shuttle bus now. So, we both in our 70's, pushed trolley to bus terminal, only to be told to go back up into airport where a bus is available. We asked many staff, none knew where to go - only that everything had moved. My point is we booked car hire, prepaid. On print out, nowhere did it tell us alterations had been made. No notices on car hire offices. Staff not made aware of new system. 30mins to pick up a car.
Date VisitMay 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

13th August, arrived at long stay car park 04.30am for a 06.10 flight. Found a queue of passengers that had already been waiting for over 30 mins for a bus, waited a further hour before a bus was available. Missed flight due to their inability to provide the service which I had paid for. This is now the worst airport to use. It is quicker to go to Gatwick or Southend.

Review by (United Kingdom)

We landed on a delayed flight about 11.30pm and had to catch a connecting bus service at 12.30 so when we were finally offloaded around 11.45, we tried to rush through arrivals in order to catch said bus. The airport clearly can't cope with the final wave of planes landing around midnight and we queued with at least 200 other people to cram onto a shuttle train to take us to arrivals. I have used this airport at this late hour before and I am sure the queues to get through passport control have got worse. We were queuing for half an hour to get through the e-passport gates while the queue for the old style passport looked even longer. Many passengers were held up by gates either not working properly or because it was unclear where they were supposed to stand in order for the scanners to recognise them. The departures area is also a mess and has been commented on extensively here. My taxi driver commented the airport had been 'victims of it's own success' and suggested it was not built to cope with the high number of low cost services it is now expected to process. Overall, it ranks as one of the worst airports I had the misfortune to use and is totally unacceptable as a first impression to Britain. Sadly, the easy access to the airport from home and the low cost flights means I will probably end up using it again.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Since MAG bought the airport the customer experience has deteriorated considerably. The queues at security are worse than before but once you get through security you have a horrendously crowded long walk through a shopping centre before you get to the departure lounge. Unlike other airports there appears to be no short cut. When you eventually reach the departure lounge it is very dimly lit and there are very few seats, but lots of shopes and food places. The notcieboard says SHOP, EAT, FLY but I just want to buy a bottle of water and sit down to wait for my flight. I have flown from Stansted 4 times this year, all mid-week and on all 4 occasions there have been no free seats and I've had to sit on the dirty concrete floor. Overall getting a flight from Stansted is a hellish experience and even though the "improvement" works in the departure lounge appear to have been completed the customer experience for those who simply want to get a flight is absolutely hideous. I live 15 mins away but am seriously considering using Southend instead, despite the drive round the M25 to get there. Please MAG show more consideration to your flying customers and cut down the walk through the shopping centre, put alot lot more seats and increase the lighting levels in the departure lounge.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Given MAG supposed significant investment in infrastructure since taking over from BAA, I wonder where the value is. It seems that they have bitten off far more than they can chew in volume terms. I live 10 mins away and take 100+ flights a year. I avoid Stansted like the plague and instead use City and Heathrow except when flying domestic as I don’t have to endure Immigration on the return where a lifetime can be spent. Most mornings I take the bus to the airport to take the train into London. At that time of the morning (7am), the queue of traffic up the terminal ramp extends back as far as the eye can see. I’ve heard of people dropping off and picking up where they simply haven’t been able to move off the terminal area within the required 10 mins so that £2.50 becomes £5.00 or £7.50 upwards (£2.50 for the first 10 mins and £2.50 each minute after that). I used Stansted a week or so ago to fly to Glasgow – departure just after the early morning peak period. The security line was back past the boarding pass scanners into the terminal with people talking about 1+ hours to get through. I therefore purchased a Fast Track voucher which got me through in a “quick” 25 mins. Once through, you then have to pass through something akin to a tacky shopping centre before getting into an incredibly depressing departure area. Unusually, my domestic flight was not departing from the domestic pier and I had to take the shuttle train. The boarding area for that was so congested that it was not until the third shuttle before I could head out to my gate. I sometimes take a taxi from the airport when using the train – the fixed fare for my journey had been £16.00 up until the other night when overnight, the fare had increased to £17.50, an increase of almost 10%. Not much can be done about this as the taxi operator has a monopoly. My travels take me all over the world and include some pretty unsavoury places / airports but I truly cannot think of a more unpleasant experience than having to pass through the appalling dump of an airport that is Stansted.

Review by (United Kingdom)

The airport is the worst I've experienced in my travels. The place is dirty, slow, expensive and unorganized. I am sure they cause the chaos just to be able to say "sorry" to you. They slow down and are disorganised to make money on express boarding. You can pay GBP5 per person to board via express where there are an abundance of staff. Or you you can board like sheep slowly snaking through a queue where there is a lack of staff to slowly inconvenience you. If you have an issue then you can pay the money to board hassle free. Why not use those extra staff to man other check points to serve everyone better? If you have a choice don't fly Stansted.