Airline of the Year

London Stansted Airport

"very poor introduction to the UK"

This airport is a very poor introduction to the UK for visitors. Generally run down with an obvious low level of investment in maintenance and refurbishment. Not sure whether it's poverty or greed on behalf of the owners. A few simple examples: The border control passport readers are always either broken, rationed, or unreliable (compared to say Schipol), with an overstressed member of staff trying to help everybody. Toilets outside of passport control are disgusting. Obviously haven't been cleaned. Fittings corroded or broken. Had to try 3 hand dryers before found one that worked. Security always stressful. It doesn't have to be this way if managers knew how to manage.

"An absolute disaster"

Verified Review | An absolute disaster as a family friendly airport. Poor security experience followed by an insulting rabbit warren of shameless duty free. This once thoughtfully designed airport has been utterly destroyed. A nightmare of an ordeal that is no way to start or end any trip. Avoid.
Date VisitMay 2017

"temperature inside being too hot"

Verified Review | Scanning, searching, sniffing machines and manual search for 2.5 year old child. 4 person family totally searched by security, no gloves. Air conditioning in waiting are does not seems to work at all. Kids complain about temperature inside being too hot.
Date VisitMay 2017

"sullen and thoroughly unpleasant"

Security - never a good experience, but everybody knows why it has to be done and puts up with it. But the staff at Stansted Security seem to take a great deal of pleasure in making the experience as unpleasant as they possibly can. Smile? No! Treat us like human beings? Don't be silly! Make a small mistake? You're a potential criminal/terrorist. There wasn't the slightest spark of humanity in any of them, they were sullen and thoroughly unpleasant. I made the mistake of not taking my iPad out of my bag. Also, I set the sensor off when I was scanned. For the former transgression I got the full works of bag all dragged about (my daughter got the same and the member of staff actually screwed her clothes up to shove them back into her bag and then laughed when she took them out again to fold them up properly), then a full drugs test, and then, after all that, the bag got sent through the scanner again - cue another long wait. And when I set the sensor off I had the full body scan, and then a proper good feeling up, which I swear they enjoy. Not one smile, not one mention of "I know it's a nuisance, but we all have to do it". They were all ghastly and Stansted should send them on training courses to sort out their attitude to the customers. Because, after all, we are customers, and we are paying to use the airport. You would never know it from the way the staff behaved.
Date VisitMay 2017

"worst that I've ever experienced"

Verified Review | I have travelled frequently for 35 years and the queues at security for departures on 15 May 2017 at 15.15 were the worst that I've ever experienced, anywhere in the world. If the operator cannot sort this out, their licence to operate the airport should be revoked and it should be given to someone who can. It seems to have massive resources for retail operations, but hardly any for helping passengers to travel.
Date VisitMay 2017

"security at Stansted is a shambles"

Verified Review | This airport is the worst I have ever used, queue, queue, queue thats all you do. We were there at 4.40am with what we thought was plenty of time to check in for a 6.50am flight. We queued for 45 minutes to check in a case, then herded like cattle through barriers to security. The security at Stansted is a shambles, one person shouting at you to go to one place and another telling you different! The Security staff need a lesson in manners, they are so rude and unpleasant. For some reason I get body searched every time. I understand they are just doing their job, but when my husband said to one of the male security guards that he thought it was ridiculous in picking me out for a body search the staff member decided to pick a fight with him. What sort of customer service is this? Treated like a herd of cattle instead of human being's. I have travelled from Gatwick lots of times and have never had to endure being searched in public. I have never used an airport that people are actually queuing to get in! If you can avoid this place.
Date VisitMay 2017

"special assistance efficient and helpful"

Verified Review | This is regarding special assistance only, I booked via easyJet less then 48 hrs before departure. Lovely guy escorted us through security and handled my bags while I handled my autistic son. Professional and efficient and helpful. Handover to easyJet crew was smooth. No problems at all.
Date VisitMay 2017

"passport control queues are a disgrace"

Verified Review | The passport control queues are a disgrace. They ask families and non electronic passport holders to join a special queue that is massive. Most people carry their children with them, for at least 45 mins to an hour, in some cases babies or toddlers. Not all the gates were open, and people were getting very frustrated too. I've travelled through stansted quite a few times in my life, and it's only getting worse. The only 'improvement' is the fact they have built a wall so people can't see the queues, presumably, so they don't cry when they see them.
Date VisitApril 2017

"short stay parking, £24 for just over 2 hours"

I went to Stansted Airport to pick a family member up from a flight. I parked in one of the short stay car parks, and was there for just over 2 hours as the flight was 20 minutes late. On returning to the car and paying for the short stay we were charged £24. This I find grotesquely wrong. Avoid this airport if you can. It is charging more than the minimum wage just to park you car.
Date VisitApril 2017

"Wow - what a mess"

Wow - what a mess! The new departure lounge is now complete and it's shambolic. They have fixed the issues with the long queues and bun fight to get in them at security, however, this only funnels more people to the departure lounge. Every passenger has to walk through duty free, at peak times there are hundreds of people all trying to get to the gates and dodging buggies, luggage, shelving and enthusiastic sales people causing a queue. When you leave this area again you are funnelled past numerous shops until you can get yourself to a seating area and only then do signs for the gates start showing up. I was there at 5.30 in the morning and the queue to get a coffee was over 20 minutes, there was no chance of getting a seat. Eventually we went to one of 2 pubs and it was the same, 15 deep trying to get a drink, we gave up in the end and walked to our gate. However, again it was a 10 minute battle to get through the crowds all milling around as there aren't enough seats to sit down and not enough areas to go to buy drinks / food without the queues. Nobody is interested in the other shops, they want Boots, WH Smith a drink / coffee / meal then to head on, let's face it you are at Stansted not Heathrow, most of the flights are Ryan Air cheapies. We arrived at our gate and bought a coffee there in the end, it took over 40 minutes to get there due to the overcrowding, you really have to get through security early due to the number of people. The whole place was overcrowded and a mess, I don't know who has thought out this new layout however, thy haven't put in enough seats and have overcrowded it with shops and their funnelling ideas meaning large blockages, especially at the times when Ryanair is sending out loads of flights - am and pm.