London Stansted Airport

"This was very stressful"

Verified Review | I have used Stansted airport for many years without any problems, I alway book airport assistance because I am visually impaired. The staff have always been very efficient and caring and taken good care to get me through passport control and then down to the boarding gate and then taken to the plane. However, on this visit to London from Poitiers I was met at the plane then taken to a room where we were informed someone would be coming to take me up to passport control. I sat there for 30 minutes and decided no one was coming and was worried my family who were waiting to collect me would be getting concerned. I was pointed to a lift which I took up to passport control and asked other travelers to help me go through and then after had to ask another traveler to point me in the right direction to the exit where I met my family. This was very stressful. On my return trip I was dropped at stand C where my family waited until I was told someone would be with me as soon as possible so I told me family to go. I waited for thirty minutes in the cold until I finally asked another traveler if they would mind escorting me into the airport and when we got inside they very kindly found a member of staff to help me. Because I had stood outside in the cold for so long I needed the WC so I asked would they take me to be told it's up there to the right. I pointed out I didn't know where up there to the right was so he took me to the left and said it's up there where that man is standing, I then said I can't see the man and then he finally walked me to the toilet and said just make your way back to the assistance point and then left me. I was then treated with the greatest respect and taken through the airport without any problems. I spoke to one of the girls who was taking me to my gate and told her about my treatment earlier and she was shocked and said that they got training on how to handle their customers and I said it's not getting through to everyone how important this is to people who have a disability and I will be thinking about my journey and wonder if I will have the confidence to do it again.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"unnecessary and disgusting behaviour"

Unverified | I am aware that Stansted Airport is avoidable at all costs due to the people that use them. But the problem was not the people but the staff at security that spoke to us as if we were idiots. We were doing everything perfectly and my boyfriend was told off for pushing in when he was well in front. He then replied and told the guy so and the man responded "you wot mate" and was aggressive and looked as if he was about to start a fight. Completely unnecessary and disgusting behaviour. There is no need to intimidate people who are doing nothing but wait and queue. Teach your staff manners. Clearly don't know how to airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"experience has really put me off Stansted"

Unverified | Having just left the M11 motorway, we hit stationary traffic (at 07.00). I thought there must have been a crash as it was very slow moving and was starting to think we were going to miss our 09.20 departure. It turned out that the queue of traffic was for the "express" drop-off and pick up, which was blocking the single lane road on the airport approach. People were getting out of cars and running along the side with their cases it was so slow. It seems that the bright spark that came up with the idea of the £3.50 charge for drop off and pick up didn't really think through the knock on effect that would have on the surrounding roads approaching the airport. When we finally reached the blue short stay car park, the barrier (which according to my confirmation would recognise my number plate and lift) refused to budge. After pressing the communication button, a ticket was produced that I had to keep to exit on return. When we finally got to the terminal there was a queue to scan our boarding pass, as the barriers were blocked with people queueing for security. The queue was absolutely horrific and I genuinely thought we were going to miss our flight (it was now 08.15). We finally got through security, ran for the monorail and when we arrived at our gate, they were boarding our flight. Never have I come so close to missing a flight as this. To finish me off, on the return, the M11 was closed from Stansted to Harlow and a 1 hour detour was in place. In future I will be booking my flights from City or Gatwick as this experience has really put me off Stansted and I'm not alone in this thinking as I have spoken to (and read online) people with similar stories saying the same. The airport is a shambles in its ill thought out design, drop off policy, ecurity checks and horrendous queues at every turn.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"impressive coordination between airport staff"

Unverified | I have considerable experience of passing through Stansted, both arriving and departing and have often seen (and been part of) long queues that could have been alleviated by having more staff on hand. Having arrived towards the end of an incident (23 August) which required the evacuation of the landside part of the terminal at a busy period, I would congratulate the staff on how they managed the large number of us waiting in the coach park, showing impressive coordination between airport staff, coach staff and the police. Once the 'all clear' was given, the return to the terminal was orderly and I have never passed through security so quickly and easily. All the belts working, large numbers of staff doing their job in an amicable and pleasant fashion, just as how you would always like it to be. I'd love this to become normal practice, but obviously without the 'incident' that led up to it. Well done Stansted staff - in all areas and services.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"I have never experienced rudeness like this"

Unverified | We arrived at airport over two hours before departure and had already checked in the day before. This was of no advantage at all as we had to queue for ages to put our cases in. There were 2 desks open for Thomas Cook checking in two flights (one for 3pm and one for 3.45). Bag drop desk not open. Finally got through and then hit passport control which was pure chaos. I had placed all cosmetics, liquids etc in hold case or so I thought. Unfortunately there was a nail varnish in my hand luggage bag which must have been there from a previous use. Anyway, it was quite rightly pulled to one side where it sat for ages while the staff seemed to pay no attention and bags were just sitting there. Now it is 3.20 and our flight was at 3.45 - I am really panicking. I asked the lady if there was any chance she could check my bag which was just sitting there and explained the time issues. Her response was, in an extremely rude fashion "well ya should ave got ere 2hrs before then shouldn't ya" to which I informed her that I had got there over 2hrs before and had checked in the day before. She went silent and then in her best Customer Services voice replied "oh, well ya should've check ya bag then shouldn't ya" She is right of course, this was a mistake on my behalf but I have never experienced rudeness like this or a lack of any urgency with the bags being checked. Too busy chatting for my liking. I will never fly from this airport again even if it meant the flight was free. Unfortunately, I can not comment on the departure lounge as we literally had to run through it to catch our plane. Lucky enough we flew back to Gatwick having departed from a very organised Dalaman airport on our return to the UK. Certainly put Stansted to shame!
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Horrible experience. Never again"

(Guyana)

Unverified | What a nightmare, this airport is really bad! Its not about moving people, its about having a captive audience being forcefed retail shops. Being funnelled through a twisty path of shops with nit enough space to move makes this a nightmare airport to move quickly thru for business travel. Not enough seating as the shops have gotten all the floorspace so people are ram-packed trying to get thru. Horrible experience. Never again.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"totally rammed as always"

Unverified | We flew to Dalaman with Thomas Cook for a two week holiday. We checked in at 3pm and security was petty swift. Then we hit the nightmare shopping mall and eatery area, this was totally rammed as always, with nowhere to sit down and queues at all the restaurants we went straight to the departure shuttle. Arriving back at 3am the passport control was very swift. I personally don't like this airport everything is now so tightly squeezed into Sir Noman Foster designed building, they need extend the terminal.

"busy and chaotic"

Unverified | Awful airport - busy and chaotic - resembles a building site. Restaurants all busy and the one we chose had ran out of our first choice for breakfast, nowhere to sit as so very crowded. Would now only use Gatwick or Heathrow parking - get charged for just dropping people off with their bags!
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"staff so slow and so picky"

Verified Review | We arrived at Stansted eventually after 5 hours of travelling (should have been 3 hours). Traffic was horrendous. Finding where we was supposed to park took up at least another 20 minutes of our time . Shuttle bus admittedly arrived quite quick but seemed to take forever to get to the airport. Once at the airport my 77 year old mother who had been desperate for the toilet for quite a while was disappointed to find the toilets where actually located possibly half a mile away from the entrance - being disabled and being in a hurry we decided it would be best to carry on in the opposite direction and get through customs as quickly as possible. We had fast track! I have never met staff so slow and so picky. They knew we were in a hurry and purposely were taking small liquid bottles out of clear packaging and scanning them etc : makeup bottle, small shampoo bottles. At one point the girl must have spent at least 2 minutes trying to force a container into a plastic bag and fasten it, clearly it wasn't going to fit. She did eventually fasten the plastic zip thing which just opened and sprawled out all over the place when she gave me it back. I must point out that I don't particularly like my underwear being pulled out and on show for all the public to see. Maybe she could see how frustrated I was getting (my face gives everything away) I was under impression at this point she was doing this on purpose 'because she could'. I was very concerned about my mum I knew she was desperate for the toilet. She also had to go through the same uncomfortable scrutinising search. We missed our flight. Possibly even if we hadn't gone through the torture of customs we wouldn't have made it. Apparently you had to walk through the equivalent of four football pitches before you even get to the gate at the same time fighting off sales people and dodging others going in the opposite direction. Two weeks earlier I had been to Turkey from another airport. There wasn't anything different in my bags. Nothing got confiscated, one item was highlighted but sorted as quickly as possible. I've never travelled from Stansted before. I go abroad at least three times a year. We were off to a wedding the next day. We didn't rebook our flight, we didn't go on holiday. We went home deflated.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"would sooner pay double than experience this again"

Unverified | As someone who travels abroad from the UK at least 3 times a year I have never experienced the incompetence I had to experience at Stansted Airport. Even though we went through fast track and yes we were a bit late due to traffic (a normal drive would have taken us 2 hours in this case it took us 4 hours) we arrived at Stansted 20 minutes before our flight was due to go. Yes me personally and my 77 year old mother were subjected to searches due to metallic objects on us and a couple of liquids which we had forgotten to bag (fair enough I'm all for security) what I can't understand is the slowness of the staff, they knew the argency. Even bagged objects were being scrutinised - make up, suntan lotion etc was scanned (in slow motion) one point the staff kept trying to put something into a plastic bag which clearly wouldn't fit, but she kept trying to make it fit, kept trying to fasten the zip thing which obviously wasn't having it, eventually she gave it back to me, I opened it up again just threw it in my bag. Then it was my mums turn and the same thing happened. My mum at this point was desperate for the toilet, after all the palava of finding a parking space then waiting for the shuttle bus, getting to the airport realising the one toilet was too far away and just going through first was probably the best thing to do and then finding a toilet had taken its toll. Yes we missed our flight. As I said I travel a lot but I will never ever set foot in this airport again, I would sooner pay double than experience this again.