Airline of the Year

London Heathrow Airport

"anywhere but Heathrow"

Second time arriving at London Heathrow and 1 hour in the Border line (both times). An absolute disgrace. Plenty of empty immigration desks but no staff. The EU passport side was empty but "the rest of the world " spiralled out through lane after lane of traffic tape. As for the "purple people " Heathrow staff who seem to do nothing but scowl - what do they actually do? Once again by the time we got through our luggage had been taken off the luggage belt and stored by someone. If you can avoid this airport go anywhere but Heathrow.
Date VisitMay 2017

"slowed the entire process"

Verified Review | The archaic and entirely idiotic "1 bag" of liquids only slowed the entire process of security to a crawl. I watched staff running around asking for certain timed flights to cut to the front and entire families desperate to put travel size bottles (that are allowed in every other airport) into 1 tiny bag per person. When I asked why they had this rule I was told "it's your fault for not looking at the website of the airport your connecting flight was routes through". Customer service at this airport is garbage and I will never fly through this airport again, regardless of the cost.
Date VisitMay 2017

"Customer Service is dead"

Verified Review | Customer Service is dead at Heathrow Airport: I had an hour to make my connection at Heathrow this morning. I did not have to change terminals, both my incoming and outbound flights were in terminal 5 and still I could not make it to the gate on time. I entered the "Fast Track" lane. Within 2 minutes I got moved, with others, to anther lane (non-fast track). As we are standing in line and others were complaining about the line not moving at all, I overhead the security staff member say to one of the traveling public, "Fast Track does not mean you move fast" - his words not mine! Finally, I got my bags on the belt for X-ray screening but my bag got pulled out for an extra security check and this is where the experience of abrupt, rude, uncaring security staff became most obvious. With a line of bags to be screened, I told the security manager 3 times I was going to miss my flight. "No you will not Sir"! she insisted each time. As I ran to the gate, the bus was pulling away. BA attendants at the gate tried to stop the bus but were unsuccessful, but, they had no radios connecting them to the driver or anyone who could help. A colleague of mine made the flight was was to be on and 20 minutes after the bus pulled away the plane doors closed. I paid for a Business class seat and what did I get for it? The middle finger from Heathrow Airport. Airport management at Heathrow and around the world need to wake up and be reminded that we are "customers" not something you can take your own frustrations out on. We are paying your wages and it would be refreshing to see a little Customer Care. PS. The BA staff at the re-booking counter were very professional and did their best.
Date VisitMay 2017

"appears to be on an all or nothing basis"

Verified Review | This was my first time flying out of and back into the new Terminal two at Heathrow airport. Whilst I try not to believe the hype around the opening of new termini these days, such is the disappointment one usually experiences, I couldn't help but let my expectations rise just a little. Drop-off and check-in was fine. My travelling companion and I, both of us disabled, were directed away from the kiosks to a manned counter. We were offered assistance making our way to the gate but turned it down on the basis that we are both able to walk and that in any case we wanted to have a bite to eat ahead of departure. We were told however to be at the gate at least an hour before the flight in order to be boarded ahead of the rush of other passengers. At security it was frustrating to have to walk back and forth through the interminable queueing system despite the absence of a queue. One would have expected, on seeing two disabled passengers, that staff would direct us to a more straightforward route. The security process itself however was painless, staff were polite and friendly, and it was all done and dusted pretty quickly. On entering the departure lounge however, on checking monitors for our gate number, we discovered that the number would not be provided until 70 minutes before the flight, giving us just 10 minutes to get there. We enquired at the information desk as to whether they had any early information on the likely gate, and were told that we would have to find an airline desk downstairs, wasting yet more time. Instead, we wolfed down a passable dinner at the closest restaurant we could find before checking the screens again. One expects the walk to One's departure gate to be long at Heathrow. What was a surprise at such a new terminal however, was finding that the entire route to the satellite building is undertaken with moving walkways rather than any kind of transit system, such as at terminal five, Stanstead, and numerous other airports. I will confess that the escalator trip down to the subway is impressive in its scale, but a faster means of transport involving less walking would have been a more inclusive approach for all passengers. The remainder of our departure run smoothly, and we were on our way to Seoul almost dead on time. The most frustrating thing about our departure experience however was that airport assistance appears to be on an all or nothing basis. Either one waits to be ferried through the terminal like a lump of luggage, without the opportunity to eat or shop, or one makes one's own way but without any help in the shape of shortened cues, timely information or intra terminal transport. Walking distances aside, our experience on return to terminal two, two weeks later, was reasonably positive. We were ushered to the special assistance passport counter, and were through in a matter of minutes. By the time we reached baggage reclaim our bags were not only there, but had been stacked next to the carousel. The only irritation was chasing our tails around the shortstay car park to find the lane where our Uber driver could collect us. Whilst I realise that Uber is just one of many private hire operators it would be good if airport authorities could recognise the nature and popularity of this service, and provide a more accessible means of being collected. So, all in all, there was nothing terrible about our overall experience.
Date VisitApril 2017

"almost 3 hours from landing to leaving the airport"

(Taiwan)

Verified Review | Arrived at Heathrow Airport T2 just before 8PM, and the queues at non EU Immigration Control were unbelievably long. It took me an hour just to be able to see the front of the queue and the Immigration Control desks, only 2 were open, and it took me another hour to reach the immigration control desk, it was then I released that there were 4 UK Board control Agency officers standing there chatting to each other, oblivious to the queues right in front of them. 2.5 hours later, I managed to pass the immigration control, but by then, all the luggage had been removed from the carousel they were assigned to as new flights arrived. I managed to find my luggage amongst a mountain of luggage next to carousel 8. So, it took me almost 3 hours from landing to leaving the airport, and I was the lucky one, as I was one of the first to leave the aircraft, passengers from the same flight were still queueing when I went throughout the immigration control. The driver who came to pick me up told me this is not a one off but a daily occurrence. I think I will fly to Amsterdam next time and take a connecting flight into Leeds (my final destination), a small regional airport but seems to have more immigration officers (the last time I arrived there, there were 4 in total and I got through within minutes).
Date VisitApril 2017

"couldn't have been more impressed"

(Thailand)

What a wonderful surprise! I hadn't used London Heathrow for 20 years (preferring to use my hometown airport Birmingham) but I couldn't have been more impressed. The immigration officers were chatty and friendly. There were plenty of good eating options and far cheaper than I expected of a London Airport. More than adequate seating areas. There's a great selection of hotels for an overnight stay, served by the excellent Hoppa shuttle service. Bus stations and bays are well sign-posted and easy to find. The security check was a breeze, even providing a nice area to pack your belongings after your stuff has gone through the scanner. Well done Heathrow! You make international travel that little bit more bearable.
Date VisitApril 2017

"a thoroughly unpleasant experience"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | This was a thoroughly unpleasant experience. Arrived early morning via BA into terminal five, no gates available so we were bussed into the building. From there we had a long walk to yet another bus to take us to terminal three - the second bus stop was literally metres away from the original bus stop. There were few actual seats on each bus, so standing was the only option. Once in terminal three signage was pitiful, and the toilets limited - more walking, no moving travelators, no toilets once at the gate. Security screening - the most grumpy lot that I encountered during eight flights. All in all very poor, in future I will travel via Amsterdam.
Date VisitApril 2017

"I've been in the passport line for 1 hour"

Verified Review | It's just insane. I've been in the line for all other passports at London Heathrow Airport for about 1 hour now, and we almost haven't moved. There are hundreds of people and only 3 passport control officers with about 10 available cabins. Is it really that difficult to predict the number of people arriving to the airport knowing the frequency and capacity of planes? It's just disrespectful to all the people citizens coming back to London where they pay huge taxes, and to all the tourists who come here to spend money
Date VisitApril 2017

"security staff stood watching proceedings"

Got To terminal 2 and booked in with EVA Air within 5 minutes. Got pulled by security to have my hand luggage searched, apparently my earphones blocked my DVD player. Why there was only one checker is a mystery. Although 3 security staff were stood watching proceedings. Obviously management, come on role your sleeves up and help. I then had a 15 to 20 minute slog to the 'B' gates. Once in the Air Canada lounge I could relax. Flight got called and left on time. On return got to immigration quickly and through the 'E' Gate quickly. The ordinary check was manic blocked way back. Picked up luggage quckly and got to parking bus pick up in good time. Good experiance coming back marginally better than going.
Date VisitApril 2017

"immigration staff service is inconsistent"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Foreign (non-UK, non-EU) traveler here. The immigration staff service at London Heathrow Airport is inconsistent. Sometimes they are really awful and being rude, but other times they are pretty professional and know what they are doing. UK Border Force have to be more friendly as they are the first image of British people that tourist will see. Immigration queue is usually long and take so much time. Queue on security when flying out is horrible. If a guy on front of you is caught on secondary check for bringing in a water bottle, takes so much time. If you caught in a secondary check, it takes ages for them to get you because usually there are lots of people getting secondary checks. Ground handling is really good. The immigration queue is already long enough that your bag would already be there. Tried some F&B, they are your standard London food and nothing really special. The seating arrangement before the checkin counter is really bad as there are no seats at all, but there are lots of seating, which are comfortable, after you clear security checkpoint. Shopping is too high end. Not a really wonderful airport, but better than others.
Date VisitOctober 2016