London Heathrow Airport

Review by (Thailand) 26th July 2015

Terminal 2 is still a disorganised mess. My partner and I used the self service boarding pass scanners just before security, only to find before we boarded that they hadn't worked properly. Although the gates had opened and let us and several other travellers through they had not taken the picture. After this came security, which was fine. However, after this there appeared to be no signs pointing you to border control, and in fact it was tucked away in a corner on a lower level. we walked around in a confused state with no staff actively trying to mange this. The building is designed horribly so that you have no real confidence about where you are going. A rude immigration officer completed the experience for us. Absolutely terrible.
Date Visit26-07-2015

Review by (United States) 24th July 2015

So, arrive at Edinburgh Intl Airport on time and go through the usually inefficient but very thorough UK security screening and passport control. This works relatively 'well'. Our flight arrives late to Heathrow though, and then the real fun begins. After a thorough security check by British officials in Edinburgh, we are subject to that all over again after an excruciatingly long bus ride between idiotically poorly connected terminals (arrival at T5 and departure for LAX at T3). Both times we're "randomly picked" for a 2nd level security check. So OK, through all that and then we need to re-check in again for the AA flight to LAX (after printing boarding passes online with all docs verified). Why? Then we are so lucky to actually learn of the departure gate a full 5 minutes before all the other clueless passengers who are anxiously watching the monitors. This is one of the silliest parts of the operation: holding the gate secret until 20 minutes before boarding. Anyway, rush to the very far away gate, and then into a new secure area- yes another check of passport and boarding pass that gains us access to the usual ugly 'stall' with no services and no bathrooms. There more poor people (thankfully not us) being checked by yet more random searching. Heathrow, the world's worst large-sized airport in my opinion, needs to have its security and other logistical systems completely overhauled by efficiency experts. It's an embarrassment to the UK.
Date Visit24-07-2015

Review by (United States) 21st July 2015

Terminal 5. Architecturally impressive, with great views and lots of natural light. Plenty of stores to keep avid shoppers occupied. The four hours of free Wi-Fi offered is a nice touch. Distances are long however, and both my recent flights arrived at either a remote stand or the satellite terminal. The policy of announcing the departure gate only an hour beforehand is annoying, especially if the departure is from the B or C gates, which take a while to get to.
Date Visit20-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 21st July 2015

I completely agree with reviews submitted by Alan Gerbhart and Michelle Strauss. It took me 70 minutes from arrival to clearing security into Terminal 5A on 21st July despite having "fast-track". At immigration there was a problem scanning a baby's eyes but instead of taking the issue aside the immigration people (5) dealt with the issue at the desk holding every other customer back - there was no other desk in use at this point as every immigration officer decided they would also assist with the baby - ridiculous, and no apology obviously. At security the queues were surprisingly short (see immigration issue) but they still insisted on swabbing bags and items unnecessarily, even lifting chocolates out of my daughters bag and re-scanning them - why? We also had a duty free bottle of perfume, sealed in the bag with the receipt but again they insisted on opening it and testing it - is there no-one with any common sense employed? And of course no sign of supervision or management anywhere. I compare you to many other international hubs I travel through and without doubt immigration and security here are the worst for organisation, worst for customer service and worst for passenger management I have ever had the displeasure to come across.
Date Visit21-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 20th July 2015

Terminal 2 - This Terminal appears to have been deliberately designed to make things as difficult as possible for passengers to negotiate. If you are not young and fit I would suggest you avoid it. I have some mobility issues and I found this Terminal difficult in the extreme. Plenty of room in Car Park then lifts take you to area out in front of Terminal Building. When you enter you are met by automatic check-in machines with desks behind but no staff to help you find out what you need to do. I decided to avoid the machines and eventually find the EVA Air Business Class check-in desk. Staff here were excellent. I make my way to Security. Despite being very quiet, passengers are still made to snake through the movable barriers forcing them to walk about 20 times further than necessary. Fairly quick getting through the checks and then passports. Now the problems really begin. The signs inside the Terminal building are unclear and totally inadequate. I eventually work out I now need to go down a level. The lifts throughout the terminal are generally tucked away, difficult to find, and at least half appear to be marked 'Staff Only'. At the next level I again can't find any clear signs to show how to get to the Business Lounge, which I was told was near the gate. The design of this level is awful. There are no clear, easy routes to get across. Passengers are forced to walk much further than necessary. It appears to be in order to make them go as close to as many shops as possible. I eventually find the exit I need in the far corner. I now have to go down yet another level. I am now faced with a lifeless corridor. It is a very, very long walk from here to the gates and the Lounge. There are some moving walkways. By the time I get close to the gates I am in pain. I now discover I have to go back up a level to get to the Lounge. Unbelievable! I then have to go back down and walk a little further to get to the gate when it's time to board. Boarding was shambolic. No information given. One mad scrum and slow moving queues. Arriving back in the Terminal was no better. On leaving the plane I have to immediately use a small, slow lift to go up a level. There is then quite a walk. I then have to find a lift to go up another level. The lifts are an even further walk, with confusing signs and most of the lifts marked 'Staff Only' or 'Buggies Only'. The sign in the lift says I need Level 3 for Arrivals but there are only buttons for 0 and 2! There is then a very, very, very long walk and the need to use yet another lift. I eventually get to Passport Control. I have a Priority Lane pass but there are very few staff in it so there is quite a wait. Through Customs then outside to find the way to taxis. I find I have to walk to the other end of the concourse and go down a level in the lift. I then have another quite long walk to the taxi queue. There are plenty of taxis for the number of people waiting but only one member of Airport staff doing the taxi bookings. A long wait. I have travelled a great deal over many years and Heathrow T2 is, without doubt, the worst one I have gone through in terms of access, passenger convenience and ease of use. I find it staggering that it has been expensively re-designed very recently and this us the result. I shall be doing all I can to avoid using it
Date Visit20-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 20th July 2015

Travelling with a disabled person. Regret to report that compared to all other airports we used Heathrow came a long way last. Wheelchair users - don't let them take your wheelchair away until you get to the plane. We did and my wife was taken by LHR wheelchair to a holding area where she was put on a seat and the wheelchair taken away - and left there for over an hour. She was then taken by buggy to a lift and had to "walk" to the departure gate where she was transferred to transport to the plane. On our return to LHR we held onto the wheelchair which was brought to the plane but it took over 45 minutes to arrange transport to the baggage reclaim.
Date Visit20-06-2015

Review by (Germany) 10th July 2015

Terminal 5 : I cannot echo enough the review of Michelle Straus. From the time I put my first bag on the belt to the time I got my bags back after a pointless swabbing exercise was 35 mins. Queuing time to get to the belt was only 7 mins. The whole process needs review - rejecting bags randomly and then swabbing them 20 times while mountains of luggage build up on the belts and people are in a frenzy to catch their flights. Don't use the excuse "but we are just keeping you safe Sir" - other airports keep us equally safe in a much more pleasant and stress free fashion. I don't think its a staff issue, and maybe their sullenness is simply a defence against the barrage of abuse they suffer for being at the front end of stupid processes.
Date Visit10-07-2015

Review by (Ireland) 8th July 2015

I echo everything that Alan Gebhart put in his review - the insistence on swabbing each offending item unnecessarily, whilst massive queues build up. We had exactly the same problem and missed our flight as a result. Some security staff are a combination of incompetence whilst having contempt for passengers. It's a most unpleasant experience using this airport.
Date Visit08-06-2015

Review by (United States) 8th July 2015

Our first time through Heathrow, there was a guide to tell people which way to go when they disembarked from their connecting flight. On the way back, we had to find someone to help us. We only had an hour layover coming back to the USA. Security is very slow at this airport. We would not have made our connecting flight if I had not asked one of the security personnel to help us get through so as not to miss the flight. He was nice and helped us get through the line. It is better to have about a two hour layover to make a connecting flight here.
Date Visit08-05-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 3rd July 2015

Having limited mobility, and only able to walk very slowly, and painfully, with the aid of two crutches, we arrived at Terminal 5, (Mid morning - Thursday 18th June) and pressed the outside button for those who require assistance. We were told that somebody would be with us in 5 minutes. Half an hour later, and despite a further 3/4 presses on the bell, still nothing. Eventually, as time was passing by quickly, and we needed to catch the flight, I slowly hobbled to the desk where this lack of service was 'co-ordinated'. The only explanation given by the sole person at the desk for this lack of service was that neither he, nor the woman pushing the wheelchair, knew where the various numbered locations were around the airport! Eventually I was taken in a chair, to the relevant Gate for the flight, but had to painfully and slowly walk the remaining distance to board the aircraft. Although allowed to set off before other passengers, in order that I could get to the seat before fellow passengers, this wasn’t possible, as I was soon overtaken by others on the way. Arrival back at Terminal 5 wasn't much better, again with some delay, finally being 'dumped' at baggage reclaim, although we had none to collect, and that was it! From there to the area where the taxi could pick us up, was a further long walk.
Date Visit03-06-2015