London Heathrow Airport

Review by (United States)

Out of all airports I've been to, Heathrow is by far the worst. Slow wifi, a labyrinth of a building, confusing signage and rarely rude information desk clerks. Security is a joke (high levels of disorganization), and, of course, no smoking lounges. Two thumbs down.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flew in and out of terminal 3 at Heathrow. It is truly awful and belongs in the 1950s. The whole terminal needs rebuilding with some thought put into the design and people flows this time. The terminal is dirty. The staff are lacklustre and give the impression they can't be bothered and only turn up for the minimun wage. Waited over an hour for baggage while they kept announcing changes of belt. There are quite obviously failures in management since the whole concept of customer service is absent. Terminal 3 has seating for 5 passengers at each baggage belt (when a plane drops off 300 passengers the maths just doesn't work). The luggage trolley rack is located at the opposite end from where arrivals enter the baggage hall; a smidgen of common sense here would avoid passengers flying off in all directions, bumping into each as the get a trolley and then come back to baggage carousel to pick up delayed luggage (if they are the lucky ones). Heathrow, avoid if at all possible.

Review by (United Kingdom)

I travel threough Heathrow on a weekly basis, mostly Terminal 5. This terminal is starting to feel and look like a Shopping Mall. There are more shops than are really needed, and for passengers less places to sit and rest before a long flight. Trying to get to the British Airways Lounges is a long walk in the opposite direction to where the actual lounges really are, this is a ploy to get passengers to walk through the shops hoping they may purchase something.

Review by (India)

Probably the worst airport I've seen. 1) customer service at T5 is more of a suggestion. I landed at 7 am, reached the service desk at 8.15 and stood for 50 mins before someone turned up. Reason given that they are opened only if staff are there. 2) Horrible connectivity between A, B and C concourses. People running through tunnel from C to B, as there is no train service. 3) I was reading earlier reviews and couldn't find anything to do, except sit in a chair, as told by ppl giving this airport 10 4) this seems to be the only airport with smoking facilities in transit areas, so smokers beware. Don't transit through Heathrow if you need to smoke.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Travelled through Terminal 3 to and from the US. Dedicated check in for Virgin and Delta passengers very modern. Security was speedy but thorough. I found the terminal layout to be very crowded. LHR has assigned more space to gates and flights at Terminal 3 than to shops and restaurants in comparison to the other terminals at Heathrow. Great selection of shops. Could be more restaurants however I was still happy. It is quite noticeable in Terminal 3 that there is a lack of windows in the shopping area. Terminal 3 size is quite deceptive, at first seeming small in comparison to the other terminals, but in fact is huge once you walk on. Signage was very good with information stands located around it. Boarding the aircraft was speedy.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (United Kingdom)

Heathrow airport is big but organized, great amount of restaurants, shops, transit options. The facilities are spotless, and plenty to do during the long waits. Cannot really fault it.
Date VisitMay 2015

Review by (United States)

I was motivated to write this review after the worst travel experience I have encountered. I arrived at LHR on an overnight British Airways flight from San Francisco, and thought it would be straightforward to manage passport control in time for my connecting flight, which was scheduled to depart 2 hours later out of the same terminal (Terminal 5). Several factors conspired to make me almost miss my connecting flight: 1) Terrible signage, which led to my standing in the wrong passport control line for over 40 minutes, only to be told (upon reaching the passport control agent) that I was in the wrong line and needed to go to the "Flight Connections" line. 2) The control agents in the second line were very efficient, and kindly gave me a fluorescent orange "Fast Track" note to expedite my transit, but this may have done more harm than good, since the "Fast Track" security line into which I was routed was a Kafkaesque experience. All passengers were required to pass through security (again), which involved removing all gels/liquids/pastes/etc. from carry-on luggage, transferring them into a small plastic bag, removing laptops etc., and standing in a incredibly slow line to go through a metal detector. Passengers were not asked to remove their shoes, but every single passenger I saw go through the metal detector triggered the alarm, which required a) removal of said shoes to be X-rayed and b) a thorough and very slow pat-down by one of two agents (one for men, one for women), which slowed the line to a crawl. I watched over 30 minutes elapse while standing in this line (again, this was the "Fast-Track" line), and then my bag was flagged for random screening, requiring an additional 10+ minutes while another security agent swiped my various bags and tested them by gas chromatography. By the time I got through this process, my flight was about to close, and I had to run at full tilt to the gate, roughly a kilometer from the security checkpoint. The terminal seemed to have some nice shops, restaurants, and other amenities, but I was unable to appreciate them while running at top speed from the security line to my gate.

Review by (United States)

The worse transit experience in my life. I've been through 100s of airports throughout the world, and Heathrow over 40 times. Aside for having to walk over a mile to transfer from gate to gate (and in the event arriving in another terminal from which your board your connecting flight taking an extended bus trip), going through security has become a nightmare. We had to do it twice both on our way to India and returning to the States. In both instances understaffed check points and truly bazaar search habits lead to extended delays. Our return trip we went through security checks in Mumbai, Delhi, Paris with no concerns or questions. We never left any airport - yet at Heathrow it took over 1 hour as the chap checked every small bottle, my wife's jewelry and other non-liquid items. No amount of complaining to a "supervisor" was effective as he said, there were new procedures for the UK. Well the UK won't see me again as it was truly a nightmare for two 60 year old individuals. Oh, and a tip for US citizens, the UK considers meds part of your one plastic bag (and make sure you carry the doctor's script).

Review by (United Kingdom)

On my recent trip to Cologne, I was lucky enough to fly out of and in to Heathrow Terminal 2. The terminal was clean and easy to get around, and the staff were friendly and helpful. Whilst the terminal was busy, I was able to find a comfortable place to sit, and I was served very quickly in the Leon they have. The range of shops that are present in T2 are pleasant and wide, and it reminded me just how much I love flying out of Heathrow. I have also recently flown out of T5 to America. This was also very pleasant, and I do not agree with the other reviews - I found the security staff quick and polite. Heathrow Airport is the finest airport in the UK, in my opinion.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Would agree with the review submitted by W Johnson 14/08/2015 my husband and I were travelling through T5 and at security the female tray handler was rude and condescending obviousley chosen the wrong career I wonder if it was the same member of staff. I did comment to another member of staff who thought she was maybe "having a bad day". Well we all have bad days now and again but when we come to work we leave the bad days at home. It was a pity as it creates a bad impression to passengers who use the airport.