London Heathrow Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 3rd July 2015

Having limited mobility, and only able to walk very slowly, and painfully, with the aid of two crutches, we arrived at Terminal 5, (Mid morning - Thursday 18th June) and pressed the outside button for those who require assistance. We were told that somebody would be with us in 5 minutes. Half an hour later, and despite a further 3/4 presses on the bell, still nothing. Eventually, as time was passing by quickly, and we needed to catch the flight, I slowly hobbled to the desk where this lack of service was 'co-ordinated'. The only explanation given by the sole person at the desk for this lack of service was that neither he, nor the woman pushing the wheelchair, knew where the various numbered locations were around the airport! Eventually I was taken in a chair, to the relevant Gate for the flight, but had to painfully and slowly walk the remaining distance to board the aircraft. Although allowed to set off before other passengers, in order that I could get to the seat before fellow passengers, this wasn’t possible, as I was soon overtaken by others on the way. Arrival back at Terminal 5 wasn't much better, again with some delay, finally being 'dumped' at baggage reclaim, although we had none to collect, and that was it! From there to the area where the taxi could pick us up, was a further long walk.
Date Visit03-06-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st July 2015

I am a very frequent flyer for leisure only, I flew out of terminal 2 and back through terminal 4. The walk from the Heathrow express station seemed never ending then after check-in it was time to face the security check, why do they always treat people as though you've never flown before, my iPad was in my hand and my liquids in a bag, this being my 11th trip of the year, they seem to forget I am an airport customer not just a flight ticket. If they were ever polite I would think there was something wrong. I found the process of going through check in and security very faceless and impersonal, then when I got through the to the airside part of the terminal I found terminal two very cramped, the food available very lacking and overpriced, in fact the meal deal in WH Smiths was the best choice. Overall my thoughts of Heathrow is that they want my money but forget what the passenger actually wants or how we wish to be treated.
Date Visit01-06-2015

Review by (Philippines) 27th June 2015

Terminal 3. No major problems with arrival (6.30am) though lots of walking. The automated passport machines seem pointless as they aren't much faster than human beings. Getting to the underground is easy enough. For departure (12.25pm), check-in was quick and security took about 15 minutes. The departure area is spacious, there are plenty of places to eat and shop, and the free Wi-Fi works very well.
Date Visit26-06-2015

Review by (United States) 26th June 2015

We were First Class passengers flying through LHR on our way to Athens from IAD. I have transited or arrived in LHR more times than I can count, always on British Airways. This was the worst experience ever. My traveling companion had forgotten to remove two small liquid containers from his luggage to be scanned separately in a plastic bag. Although we were in the FastTrack line, we were shunted off to a secondary screening line where the hand baggage of individual passengers who did not somehow pass the screening were sent. The gentleman at the head of the line said he had been there for over an hour and had already missed his flight. There were a number of other people in line. The secondary screeners were rude and unprofessional, and the process was vastly over-complicated. Security is a necessity, but efficiency is also important. It appeared that each individual compartment in any hand luggage that had some sort of violation had to be swabbed, and the swabs read. There was a single person doing this, and the line kept getting longer and longer. A supervisor came over several times but left after a few minutes, doing nothing to remedy the hold-ups. We finally were cleared after almost 90 minutes in this line. The offending liquids could have been removed, put into a separate tray, and the offending liquids and bags could have been resent through the screening machines. This process is often used in other airports when there is a problem with hand baggage. This was the worst and most unprofessional screening I have ever seen.
Date Visit25-05-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th June 2015

London Heathrow airport is one of the best airports. Very friendly Staff. Excellent range of facilities, lots to do while your waiting for your flight and very clean. It is absolutely huge and may confuse tourists but it is easy to get around.
Date Visit18-04-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (United States) 17th June 2015

LHR can be a daunting airport, and Terminal 5 can be very busy. However, I fly through frequently, annually or so for business in the UK, more often for an Onward Journey into Europe. With reference to the Onward Journey, a couple of notes: (1) You don't go through Immigration in the UK, but you do go through Security. (2) Security can be very time-consuming, especially and oddly on weekend mornings. Allow plenty of time. (3) While the UK is (still) in the EU, it is not a Schengen country. This means you will have to go through Immigration in the country of your end destination. Give yourself plenty of time in Terminal 5, and enjoy it. Wonderful shopping, great restaurants and superior lounges. It can be a really pleasant place to beb
Date Visit17-05-2015

Review by (Malaysia) 17th June 2015

It took us 70 minutes to transit due to the long immigration queues and security checks. They are clearly overwhelmed by the enormous number of transit passengers in Terminal 5. Restaurant prices for Mains alone start from £12 onwards to £90. Drinks are expensive as well. You are better off buying sandwiches, drinks and newspaper for £3 at the newsagent on level 1 Terminal 5 where u get out of security check. Only 2 places to charge your phones or iPads and they are overcrowded. That is next to Starbucks at gate A10. Good children's playground though. They take ur names and flight numbers just in case you are late.
Date Visit16-06-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (Australia) 15th June 2015

Really impressed with Heathrow Terminal 3 on my most recent visit. Flew in from Brisbane and Dubai hardly any wait time at all through customs and immigration even though I was travelling on my Australian passport rather than British one. My baggage came out very quickly and everything was well signed and easy to follow. On my departure back to Sydney was impressed how quick the wifi was even though the departure lounge was packed with travellers using laptops and tablets. All staff are very friendly, helpful and courteous. Well done Heathrow.
Date Visit14-05-2015

Review by (United States) 15th June 2015

Terminal 5 is very crowded, with long queues to get through security and too many people everywhere. Not designed to handle the number of people using it. Recommend you bypass Heathrow if at all possible.
Date Visit15-06-2015

Review by (Australia) 15th June 2015

Horrible in just about every way that matters. Transferring between terminals in peak periods is a nightmare (I missed my connecting flight due to inadequate and infrequent shuttle buses and long queues, so allow at least twice the recommended minimum connecting time), security screening is inefficient and pathetically slow; and staff are a combination of rude, surly and aggressive. International travel is hard enough without having to contend with Heathrow Airport. They should sell "I survived Heathrow" t-shirts - they'd make a fortune! My wife and I were supposed to fly to Heathrow again in a couple of months, but we cancelled our flights and will be going to a different destination. I will never set foot in Heathrow again if I can help it, and I pity those who have no choice.