Best Economy Class Seats

London Heathrow Airport

"they were constantly under-staffed"

Heathrow are asking for a new runway, but they can't look after the traffic they have now. Its frustrating to us all to have to be at the airport two hours before departure, but who knew it took 2-and-a-half hours to get out of the airport after arrival? Our flight from Dubai landed on time but there were only two passport checkers for all UK passport holders in Terminal 3 (not just our flight), that's two people checking passports against a queue of several hundred people. It took us over 45 minutes just to have our passport checked (and staff said that non-UK passport holders regularly have to wait over two hours) and when I complained to the checker he agreed that it was ridiculous that there were only two of them to check so many people, that they complained all the time to management but management wouldn't provide more staff. We then went to claim our baggage from carousel 6, but the carousel was stopped and we could only find 2 of our 4 bags. We were told the other bags were waiting outside for a blockage to be cleared. There were loads of staff hanging around, but none of them could solve the problem, the baggage desk begged us to complain to Heathrow online (there wasn't anyone to complain to at the airport) as their regular complaints were ignored. They agreed that the service at Heathrow was rubbish and said that they had complaints all the time. It took well over an hour before we could retrieve our bags and then we just walked through customs (there wasn't anybody there!). All the staff we talked to agreed that Heathrow was a terrible place to work, that they were constantly under-staffed and under-resourced. All the travellers we spoke to were fed up and several said that, like me, they will avoid Heathrow if at all possible in the future. I usually use Bristol, Exeter or Birmingham, and have never had such awful service at any airport in the UK or elsewhere.

"didn't get lost once"

I went through Madrid, Lisbon, Barcelona and Hong Kong airports on my last trip but I have to say Heathrow is the best in regards to signage. I didn't get lost once at Heathrow whereas Madrid was a total nightmare trying to navigate my way to the correct bus stop. Their customer information desk attendants need to smarten up their act. They were more interested in their mobile phones and talking to each other than doing their job. Boarder control, well they always drive me batty. I know they are just doing their job but I come to England for a holiday, repeat holiday, not to work.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"stuck at immigration for almost 2 hours"

Departing from Heathrow is a more pleasant experience that other UK airports due to location and pretty smooth departure process. However arriving really make you wish you had chosen Gatwick or Stansted. The extra miles from these airports are really worth it. Last time, the airport was over saturated so had to fly over London for an extra 30 minutes circling and circling - nice views over London though. Then last night, I got stuck at immigration for almost 2 hours! longer than the duration of my EU flight. Only 2 officers at UK Border to check 1000s of arrivals, very long queues, stuck in narrow corridors on high heat, people were exhausted, poor, nonexistent customer care from Heathrow staff. It really makes you feel unwelcome.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"assistance offered was terrible"

I have used British Airways for a number of years and both myself and my family are Bronze members. During the last year I have noticed a drop in the service that they provide. I always try to use BA wherever I can because they are a homegrown company and in the past they have served me well. This looks like it is coming to an abrupt end and the level of service is plummeting. I had a bad experience a few weeks ago on the 23rd of June whilst travelling with wheelchair assistance passengers to Tegal Airport Berlin. Both the outward and inward flights were delayed. Being a Bronze member and that there were no business class flights available, I asked if I and my disabled passengers could have access to the club lounge where they would be more comfortable as the delay was no fault of ours. The response was rude and unwelcome. I was told that if I wanted to use the lounges then I should have booked business class. Not the response I would have expected from a frequent and loyal user of British Airways. I tried to ask another member of staff but was redirected back to the same manager at business class check-in. The return flight was no better, this also was delayed and my wheelchair passengers were left in their wheelchairs to await the delayed flight. I know that British Airways have no control of assistance at Tegel airport, but the situation was even worse when we returned to Heathrow. I was the lead passenger travelling in a family group with wheelchair assistance passengers. When we arrived at Heathrow, the assistance offered was terrible. The driver of the buggy would not let us travel together as a family and wanted to split us up. I had to call a manager to resolve the situation but not before causing considerable distress to my assistance passengers. The assistance operative was very rude indeed and accused us of telling lies when we informed him that we travelled as a family on the way out. Not a good state of affairs.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"I sailed through everything"

BA texted passengers that they were expecting Heathrow (T5) to be very busy, and recommended checking in online. Taking their advice, I did so, and gave extra time thinking I would be stuck in queues at security etc. I was happily surprised to find this was not the case. I sailed through everything in less than ten minutes, a very acceptable time for this. The airport was busy, but I filled my time with a little shopping, and enjoyed a breakfast at the cafe that has replaced the rather grotty pub near the domestic gates. It was a marked improvement. T5 remains a better experience than most terminals.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"only good things to say"

It is only when you visit airports like Heathrow that you appreciate how truly awful other airports are. Only good things to say apropos recent experience at T4, including arrival - immigration cleared and bags delivered within 15 minutes. Customs well signposted - to claim back the dreaded VAT. Check in, smooth and hassle free. Security robust and efficient, but always handled with a smile. More than ample seating throughout the terminal. Excellent wifi. And refreshments at High Street prices - don't forget to say 'yes' when asked if your coffee and food are take away, and avoid the VAT!
Date VisitJuly 2016

"I almost missed my flight"

Unbelievably slow security lane. One person took about 1 minute on average and there were 40 people in front of me so it took 40 minutes. Other airports usually take 10-15 for that amount of people. It wasn't even the security. The ticket and passport check to enter the security zone was slow. I'm not sure if they were just having problems with ticketing but I almost missed my flight due to this slow lane. And the transfer between terminals is a nightmare. Everything takes three times as much energy and time it would take in other airports.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"makes hopeless look good"

Where to start with London Heathrow - an airport that is so hopeless it makes hopeless look good. Took a flight today from Rome which was roughly an 1.5 hours and then took an hour and 50 minutes to clear customs. Queues (for non-Europeans/UK passport holders) was staggering and simply unacceptable. Took an hour simply to get to the immigration hall. Most distressing of all was to see the extremely poor handling of elderly customers and those with a disability. They were only allowed to use one gate and took even longer than the rest of us. When I got to the immigration officer and told her how we'd waited she shrugged and said that's the price you pay to visit a beautiful country. Poor attitude but somewhat explains the hopelessness. Low standards. Whole thing was inefficient and poorly run. The biggest laugh - Heathrow's slogan is "Making every journey better". The only good thing was the crowd spent so much time in the queue we started to bond. Whoever is in charge, get some tips from Changi or Hong Kong which are also busy but still run within acceptable limits.
Date VisitJune 2016

"no thought at T5 for the poor traveller"

I arrived at C gates T5 at 23.25 on 12th June. Transfer was good to immigration, but that's where the trouble started. All e gates were closed, apparently they should close at 23.00 but opening was extended due to passenger load. This loading was still evident way after midnight. Finally cleared immigration only to wait another 40 mins for baggage to arrive. Tannoy announcement made that because the plane was so far away it would take an extra 15mins. The shuttle train from c gates proudly displayed that your baggage travels at 30mph but I guess that was not the case last night. Finally got the baggage and headed for the customs exit nearest to the underground only to find that it was "roped" off. This meant walking to the exit at the other end of the baggae hall in the opposite direction to that needed to exit for ground transportation. There should have been notices explaining that one exit was closed, but there seems to be absolutely no thought at T5 for the poor traveller. Exited to baggage area theough the half open door with a broken door closure. Headed for the Underground exit only to find that there were trolleys blocking the exit doors, again no notice to say that it was closed, no helpful note to say the the underground Station was closed, but there are buses to central London. I caught the N9 from the "local buses" stop. Do you really expect visitors to your country to expect a local bus to go all the way to Central London. Please please have some thought about visitors and help them, because at the moment the whole attitude seems to be "couldn't care less".

"very difficult to find"

Purple parking at London Heathrow give the impression of a very professional car parking service with off site parking speedy transfers etc. The car park is very difficult to find and not very well signed either in or outside. The car park itself is in a horrific state and is quite some distance from London Heathrow. Transfers are as and when required. The ticket given to you when dropping off your car says to call them upon your arrival as soon as you get off the plane then the transfer will be waiting. I did this and was held on the line for 17 minutes at 3p a minute and had actually collected my bags and was outside the airport by the time someone answered the call. For the sake of an extra £10 I will be booking meet and greet next time and saving all the hassle.