London Heathrow Airport

"very expensive shops"

Unverified | I hate London Heathrow airport. Arrived very early in the morning as you usually do when traveling from the US to UK. Had a very long way to walk from terminal 5 to other terminals after my overnight flight. Long walk to bathroom (found only one) through very expensive shops. Few choices for food. Ate at Eat - only inexpensive place for breakfast with so many flights coming in. Very difficult to find a place to sit with luggage. Did have good pasteries and coffee. Much prefer Gatwick.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"lots of shops and facilities"

Unverified | London Heathrow Terminal 2 is nice and tidy. Outside of it you have a limited view to the runways. Main hall is spacious. The transit zone is situated on two floors and offers lots of shops and facilities. Lots of seating areas but phone charging sockets are not working at the seats. There is however a dedicated phone charging station. There are plenty of flight information screens around and a huge windowed wall opposite side of entering the building.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"a really lovely way to start a holiday"

Unverified | I've just dropped my daughter at London Heathrow Terminal 2 flying to Australia with Thai Airways. I'm really impressed with the cleanliness and smooth running of the airport and the number and helpfulness of airport staff. It's a really lovely way to start a holiday.
Date VisitJune 2017

"better than some other airports"

Verified Review | Nice lounge with direct view of plane, small choice of food, hot and cold both Malaysian and English. Good Wi-Fi, seats could be a little more comfortable but fine and better than some other airports. Good selection of drinks, toilets are always clean and showers a very clean.
Date VisitApril 2017

"no acknowledgement of our existence"

(Gibraltar)

Verified Review | Due to the BA computer failure our flight was directed to a vacant parking spot instead of the usual drop off. I was fine with this, as I understand that steps had to be taken due to resolution methods used. What I was not fine with was the so called "customer ambassadors" (dressed in purple) gossiping behind our back, assuming that we did not speak and / or understand English. When we arrived, we were directed to an entry point. We then had to bang on a door, because two (2) "Customer ambassadors", just opposite the door, blatantly ignored us. All this took place whilst another customer ambassadors kept telling us that this was the only way in. Finally, they let us in. No apology and no acknowledgement of our existence, their faces drawn into a grimace, as though we had trampled on their consecrated tea break. We finally found our way by the use of signs and arrived at a closed door. A man was on the other end, telling us to wait. We wait and wait and wait whilst he has a general laugh with his colleagues on the other side. Finally he uses the card (around his neck) to open the door. None of this actually dampened my mood until we came across two women. To say that they were rude would be an understatement. After all the inconvenience we had already experienced, they decided that their best approached would be to demand our boarding pass in a tone one would use on a convicted criminal. Despite their disgraceful behavior, the request made sense. I offered my passport, with the boarding pass included. Being South African, I’m generally asked for everything. I thought I would spare us all the impending interrogation. To my surprise, not only does she sigh in frustration, but the moment we turn our backs, she looks at her colleagues and starts complaining. "Why didn’t they just give me their boarding pass", to which her colleague responds "Maybe they don’t speak English". My truthful feedback would be that a few our ambassadors should receive refresher training. If you plan on flaunting a title of customer ambassadors, you should make sure that you are worth of the title. The BA error must have been extremely frustrating for them, but that, by no means, excused their outright disrespect and poor service.

"anywhere but Heathrow"

Second time arriving at London Heathrow and 1 hour in the Border line (both times). An absolute disgrace. Plenty of empty immigration desks but no staff. The EU passport side was empty but "the rest of the world " spiralled out through lane after lane of traffic tape. As for the "purple people " Heathrow staff who seem to do nothing but scowl - what do they actually do? Once again by the time we got through our luggage had been taken off the luggage belt and stored by someone. If you can avoid this airport go anywhere but Heathrow.
Date VisitMay 2017

"slowed the entire process"

Verified Review | The archaic and entirely idiotic "1 bag" of liquids only slowed the entire process of security to a crawl. I watched staff running around asking for certain timed flights to cut to the front and entire families desperate to put travel size bottles (that are allowed in every other airport) into 1 tiny bag per person. When I asked why they had this rule I was told "it's your fault for not looking at the website of the airport your connecting flight was routes through". Customer service at this airport is garbage and I will never fly through this airport again, regardless of the cost.
Date VisitMay 2017

"Customer Service is dead"

Verified Review | Customer Service is dead at Heathrow Airport: I had an hour to make my connection at Heathrow this morning. I did not have to change terminals, both my incoming and outbound flights were in terminal 5 and still I could not make it to the gate on time. I entered the "Fast Track" lane. Within 2 minutes I got moved, with others, to anther lane (non-fast track). As we are standing in line and others were complaining about the line not moving at all, I overhead the security staff member say to one of the traveling public, "Fast Track does not mean you move fast" - his words not mine! Finally, I got my bags on the belt for X-ray screening but my bag got pulled out for an extra security check and this is where the experience of abrupt, rude, uncaring security staff became most obvious. With a line of bags to be screened, I told the security manager 3 times I was going to miss my flight. "No you will not Sir"! she insisted each time. As I ran to the gate, the bus was pulling away. BA attendants at the gate tried to stop the bus but were unsuccessful, but, they had no radios connecting them to the driver or anyone who could help. A colleague of mine made the flight was was to be on and 20 minutes after the bus pulled away the plane doors closed. I paid for a Business class seat and what did I get for it? The middle finger from Heathrow Airport. Airport management at Heathrow and around the world need to wake up and be reminded that we are "customers" not something you can take your own frustrations out on. We are paying your wages and it would be refreshing to see a little Customer Care. PS. The BA staff at the re-booking counter were very professional and did their best.
Date VisitMay 2017

"appears to be on an all or nothing basis"

Verified Review | This was my first time flying out of and back into the new Terminal two at Heathrow airport. Whilst I try not to believe the hype around the opening of new termini these days, such is the disappointment one usually experiences, I couldn't help but let my expectations rise just a little. Drop-off and check-in was fine. My travelling companion and I, both of us disabled, were directed away from the kiosks to a manned counter. We were offered assistance making our way to the gate but turned it down on the basis that we are both able to walk and that in any case we wanted to have a bite to eat ahead of departure. We were told however to be at the gate at least an hour before the flight in order to be boarded ahead of the rush of other passengers. At security it was frustrating to have to walk back and forth through the interminable queueing system despite the absence of a queue. One would have expected, on seeing two disabled passengers, that staff would direct us to a more straightforward route. The security process itself however was painless, staff were polite and friendly, and it was all done and dusted pretty quickly. On entering the departure lounge however, on checking monitors for our gate number, we discovered that the number would not be provided until 70 minutes before the flight, giving us just 10 minutes to get there. We enquired at the information desk as to whether they had any early information on the likely gate, and were told that we would have to find an airline desk downstairs, wasting yet more time. Instead, we wolfed down a passable dinner at the closest restaurant we could find before checking the screens again. One expects the walk to One's departure gate to be long at Heathrow. What was a surprise at such a new terminal however, was finding that the entire route to the satellite building is undertaken with moving walkways rather than any kind of transit system, such as at terminal five, Stanstead, and numerous other airports. I will confess that the escalator trip down to the subway is impressive in its scale, but a faster means of transport involving less walking would have been a more inclusive approach for all passengers. The remainder of our departure run smoothly, and we were on our way to Seoul almost dead on time. The most frustrating thing about our departure experience however was that airport assistance appears to be on an all or nothing basis. Either one waits to be ferried through the terminal like a lump of luggage, without the opportunity to eat or shop, or one makes one's own way but without any help in the shape of shortened cues, timely information or intra terminal transport. Walking distances aside, our experience on return to terminal two, two weeks later, was reasonably positive. We were ushered to the special assistance passport counter, and were through in a matter of minutes. By the time we reached baggage reclaim our bags were not only there, but had been stacked next to the carousel. The only irritation was chasing our tails around the shortstay car park to find the lane where our Uber driver could collect us. Whilst I realise that Uber is just one of many private hire operators it would be good if airport authorities could recognise the nature and popularity of this service, and provide a more accessible means of being collected. So, all in all, there was nothing terrible about our overall experience.
Date VisitApril 2017

"almost 3 hours from landing to leaving the airport"

(Taiwan)

Verified Review | Arrived at Heathrow Airport T2 just before 8PM, and the queues at non EU Immigration Control were unbelievably long. It took me an hour just to be able to see the front of the queue and the Immigration Control desks, only 2 were open, and it took me another hour to reach the immigration control desk, it was then I released that there were 4 UK Board control Agency officers standing there chatting to each other, oblivious to the queues right in front of them. 2.5 hours later, I managed to pass the immigration control, but by then, all the luggage had been removed from the carousel they were assigned to as new flights arrived. I managed to find my luggage amongst a mountain of luggage next to carousel 8. So, it took me almost 3 hours from landing to leaving the airport, and I was the lucky one, as I was one of the first to leave the aircraft, passengers from the same flight were still queueing when I went throughout the immigration control. The driver who came to pick me up told me this is not a one off but a daily occurrence. I think I will fly to Amsterdam next time and take a connecting flight into Leeds (my final destination), a small regional airport but seems to have more immigration officers (the last time I arrived there, there were 4 in total and I got through within minutes).