London Heathrow Airport

"incredibly rude and surly"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Though we were tired from our long journey, my family and I were initially very excited when we arrived at Heathrow for our UK holiday. However when we arrived at the immigration area we had to wait in an incredibly long queue for 3 hours to get through with our NZ passports, while we watched other people go through the UK/EU side of the immigration area without having to wait in any queues. There were quite a few officials in purple jackets standing around talking to each other and not seeming to be doing anything, couldn't they have done something to help the many people waiting in the queue? To top it off, when we finally made it to the front of the queue the security guard who stamped our passport was incredibly rude and surly. Never have I felt more unwelcome as a visitor in another country than when I went through Heathrow. If I ever come back to the UK I will definitely be avoiding Heathrow airport.
Date VisitJune 2018

"situation is extremely unjust"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | London does not have a Value Added Tax deduction service. While stores may emphasize that VAT will be returned to you at the airport while shopping, this is not the case. The queue at the VAT return desk prior to check-in is two hours long, making it practically impossible to obtain VAT. No additional counters were set up to handle peak flow. The (unadvertised) VAT return desk after customs has a shorter queue, but one must remember to keep all their goods in their carry-on baggage, which is not possible unless one is familiar with the airport. This situation is extremely unjust (I daresay exploitative). VAT returns were promised as an incentive to shop, but the system was set up in such a way as to prevent such claims from being made. The situation could readily have been rectified by setting up additional counters for peak flow to limit wait times to a more reasonable duration of perhaps thirty minutes (to deter truly frivolous claims). This situation reflects poorly on the management at Heathrow Airport.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"there is lots of signs"

Trip Verified | Friendly staff, although big airport there is lots of signs to make sure you won't get lost. Wide selection of restaurants, fast foods. Very clean, but seats could be a bit more comfortable. Security check in queuing was pretty quick.
Date VisitJune 2018

"a very modern and clean airport"

Trip Verified | Heathrow is a very modern and clean airport, it feels very secure, and it offers plenty of things to do before your flight. Security did not feel hectic and everyone was very polite. You do have to walk anywhere from 3 to 25 minutes to your gate so please keep that in mind if you’re traveling with someone elderly or with walking difficulties. They do offer a “buggy” service to take you to and from the gate however it is not conveniently located. Overall I really like this airport because you feel very safe.
Date VisitJune 2018

"the process painfully slow"

(Cambodia)

Trip Verified | Avoid travelling from LHR T2 if possible. Otherwise, allow around two hours to check in (digital) and drop off your bags (human operator) and around one hour to get through security, and that's on top of the two to three hours usually recommended. The system was shambolic and the process painfully slow. Infrequent travellers will likely find the experience quite stressful, while business class upwards seem to be processed without delay. As an infrequent traveller, I found the signage and directions inadequate - in the lifts when getting to T2 - which lift to use, what floor to get out on, what floor the lift was at, at check-in, there was no obvious signage explaining the universal queuing system or the need to get your own baggage label from a machine, the queue to drop off bags was very long and snaked around the place, so get a trolley - not only for your bags but for also for something to rest against! Security was impossibly slow. At one point, all the queues seemed to be full. The queue I was in barely moved until another machine was opened after asking three members of staff to try and speed things up. One traveller was overheard saying he had just ten minutes to get to the gate and was told he'd have to queue, which seems unreasonable when the facility to fast track some travellers exists. Surely this is not the kind of customer experience envisaged in 2014 when a representative reportedly stated that the customer would be at the centre of the terminal's design! Any investment in facilities matters little when travellers emerge from check-in and security stressed with insufficient time to browse the stores, enjoy a meal or even a cup of tea, not to mention use the bathroom facilities. On the other hand, nearly all the members of staff were terrific - helpful, courteous, professional and understanding. The problem was that they were too few. In short, many check-in machines, drop-off desks and security scanners stood idle and human operators were in short supply while customers lugged bags around a cordoned maze and queued for hours at both check-in and security. LHR should be able to do better than this. In contrast, Phnom Penh International Airport was very efficient, with clear signage. sufficient staff and quick processing through immigration and baggage pick-up. I rather suspect that LHR managers/decision makers should listen to and learn from the staff.
Date VisitJune 2018

"lack of staff is very noticeable"

Trip Verified | Very disappointed. The priorities at London Heathrow are totally wrong. There is no attempt whatsoever to ease things for families right from the moment you unboard the train, right through passport control and until you claim your baggage. 1) All airports I can recall let you claim your stroller at the airplane. At London Heathrow not only do you no get that service but you don't even get it with the baggage. It comes out of from a completely different belt. My baggage came out from belt 5 and the stroller came out of belt 11 which is at the other side of the airport and of course I had to ask to find out. Worse still there are not staff to ask so that took an additional 5 minutes to find someone. At Zurich airport I was told it would come out with the luggage. 2) Passport control is virtually empty for epassports yet very crowded and run by 3 members of staff only for those who have to use the manual process, ie families, disabled and children. This begs the question as to who should get priority? Families with crying children who have perhaps just endured a potentially 12 hour flight or normal adults who can better cope with travelling or the disabled? Please think and get your priorities right like the rest of the world! 3) Baggage claim- please treat peoples' property with respect. The buggies were literally chucked around with one buggy visibly broken from lack of care when handling. I saw how they handled these at Zurich airport and Antalya. A dedicated member of staff picked them up and delivered them to the plane door whereas at Heathrow they were clearly not handled in the same way. Fortunately the broken buggy was not mine this time but it was mine last year. 4) The lack of staff is very noticeable. It seems the cuts are even visible at the airport. I wonder whether there is a lack of security staff too? I should hope not but it is likely to be the case. I think the management of Heathrow airport truly lets the nation down. It is a visibly beautiful airport, that is clean, big and respectable but is immensely let down by the very poor service and poor management.
Date VisitJune 2018

"miserable, hot, uncirculated air"

Not Verified | My wife and I flew into Heathrow yesterday after a 10-hour flight. We walked for what seemed like at least a mile before we entered a roped off sea of humanity in miserable, hot, uncirculated air indoors. I estimate at least 1,500 people were slowly moving their way through a human corral waiting for approval to collect their luggage and go on their way. Some of the most insulting and intimidating features were the signage, obviously cooked up by some right-wing PR-industrial psychology firm. Large "UK BORDER" signs seemed to say keep out near the front of the crowd. The signs gave the impression of a wall Donald Trump would have been proud of. I told my wife had I known this kind of treatment would be our welcome, then I wouldn't have bothered a stay in London. After well over an hour of this torture, soaked in sweat, we finally were herded up to the glass enclosed immigration man. There was air conditioning here. He lobbed off a series of rude questions that ended with what is the purpose of your travel. Holiday, I replied. How many days, the I-man asked. Three, I replied. Well that's not much of a holiday, he sassed. Well, we're off to France after that, I said. How many days total, he said. Ten, I replied. He then snatched our passports, loudly stamped them and gestured us on. Yeah, I whispered to my wife as we walked away, we'll spend more of our time and money in a real country.
Date VisitMay 2018

"worst I have ever experienced"

Not Verified | Arrival at Border Control last night was the worst I have ever experienced. Long queues of people we waited over an hour to be processed. All EU and non EU citizens were expected to queue together alongside small children (including our own) that are not allowed to be processed via the scanning machines unless they can do it themselves! Total chaos. When I asked why we were all queuing together instead of separate isles I was informed all the flights that were queuing were from EU countries but then I said we had Japanese and Indian passport holders in our queue as well as other International passport holders. The Border man said they must of been in the wrong queue then to which I replied well you have one man directing everyone into one queue there isn’t another queue! This is all down to funding cuts which leads to appalling processing services at our Border Control for U.K. citizens not much of a welcome home.

"he signage is awful"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Arrival into Heathrow T3 was dirty, poor lighting, antiquated decor. The signage is awful. We followed signage for hotel buses. This took us outside where we saw no directions. We had to ask several people where the pick up was and luckily a bus driver took pity on us and helped.
Date VisitApril 2018

"I did not feel welcome"

Trip Verified | Our plane landed on time and we disembarked at 8.35 and were in a queue out the door and around the corridor and then in the arrival hall for more than 2.5 hours, waiting for our passports to be checked. I have indefinite leave to remain and reside in the UK, but most of the people were tourists. They were tired and many of us were travelling alone with no way to get out of the queue to use the toilet. It was a long haul flight. We were brought water to drink. The border agent did not speak to me except to say ‘glasses off’. Of course I thanked her and she said nothing in reply. I did not feel welcome. Our bags were on the floor by the time we arrived in the baggage claim area and the plane info was no longer displayed. People were confused and it was difficult to find anyone to ask for information.
Date VisitMay 2018