London Heathrow Airport

"a modern day dystopia"

Not Verified | After an efficient transition I entered the secure departure area of Terminal 3. This is as close to a modern day dystopia one might get to outside a Mad Max movie, noisy, overcrowded, hot and humid, forced to run the gauntlet of overpriced useless shops cashing in on holiday hysteria. Having slunk off the endlessly circulating stream of humanity to an over bright Italian resturant where they inject the waitresses with Botox leaving a rictus smile. Here the Bolognese was awful salvaged only by a decent coffee. I am a veteran of Gatwick so should not scare easy but was assailed at all levels. Still looking for a quiet place to call home. Will I come again, no, even if it means not flying with BA ever again.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"I wasted a lot of time"

(Italy)

Not Verified | I arrived at Heathrow airport from Milan Linate with an Alitalia flight so from an European country. When I arrived I had to go to the toilets and it wasn't close so I had to walk a lot. Then I had to go to the passports control and there was a long queue. Then I moved to the baggage reclaim and even though I waited a lot at the controls, my baggage hadn't arrived yet. I was angry because I waited for my baggage for 40 minutes. I took my baggage and I moved to take the underground to reach London. Of course Heathrow is a very good and modern airport, but I wasted a lot of time in the queue for the passport control even though I arrived from an EU country. I hope that the next time I go here, it will take less time.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"had already been misguided"

Trip Verified | Beware of the misguided flashing orange sign redirecting your driving lane so that all who are entering to Terminal 2 end up having to park and not simply drop off Passengers. I now recall this happened to me about a year ago. It should be clearer, it is obvious Heathrow is misguiding all Drop Off Passenger vehicle drivers, so that they take the wrong lane and so having to park in the Car Park which is the lane taking you into a 'one way' system so that - to scam revenue from you! Be careful and only follow the black and white printed signs when going into Terminal 2 Passenger Drop off. I was scammed out of £11.00 this morning - having to eventually park up and take my sister into the Terminal, being that I had already been misguided into the car park.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"generally spacious, and uncrowded"

Trip Verified | I can never understand the amount of negative press that Terminal 5 at LHR gets - it is generally spacious, and uncrowded. It isn't the over priced shopping mall that all the other Terminals seem to be. However, it was noticeable that checking into BA most of the check in desks have now gone, and been replaced by self service kiosks. We were travelling Club and the resulting queues at Club World Check In were consequently much larger than before as we are told at online check in that we must go to a check in desk to complete the formalities ! A backward (but no doubt cost saving) step. Still, by no means the worst airport.

"unprofessional and rude"

Not Verified | Flight AA733, 7/23/2018 The security procedure at Terminal 2 for connecting passengers was unprofessional and rude. The lines were too long for connecting passengers - official guidance states that 1 hour is enough, security alone took that much time, plus time to transit terminals, and board the airplane. One security officer was even stating that "since you didn't follow our directions, we are going to search everything in your bag". This type of deliberate delay is unprofessional. These people already passed through security, and are unfamiliar with UK regulations. We were doing the best we could under the circumstances. In my case, after waiting 20 minutes, I was told my cough syrup had to be approved by a supervisor, but one was not called for the next 20 minutes (the flight departure time), so I finally just gave up and told them to keep it. They then rummaged through my bag and let me go. This last search, as well as the extra wait, was vindictive, rude, and frankly hostile. I expected better behavior from security personnel.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"one of my better experiences at LHR"

Trip Verified | Departure T2: easy to locate TAP bag tag print points. Once attached, very short queues for bag barcode scanning and bag drop. TAP points manned by pleasant staff. Off to security. Fairly lengthy queues which kept moving. Security staff were the usual grim-faced ones. Post security the usual expensive 'duty free' shops and plenty of expensive food/drink places. Plenty of seating. Toilets were OK mid-morning. Signage was fine. Usual lengthy walk to departure gate. Very limited seating at departure gate. Air bridge available. Gate staff were OK. Arrival T2: The usual long taxi at LHR + additional wait for gate. Airbridge available. Signage was fine. Usual long walk to UK border. Used e-border about 50% of which were switched on. 3 out of 4 of us e-border worked fine. 1 had to queue up at passport control as machine would not recognise. Bags just coming onto baggage reclaim as we got there. Toilets were looking quite tired by late afternoon/early evening. No cleaners about. All in all, one of my better experiences at LHR.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"incredibly rude and surly"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Though we were tired from our long journey, my family and I were initially very excited when we arrived at Heathrow for our UK holiday. However when we arrived at the immigration area we had to wait in an incredibly long queue for 3 hours to get through with our NZ passports, while we watched other people go through the UK/EU side of the immigration area without having to wait in any queues. There were quite a few officials in purple jackets standing around talking to each other and not seeming to be doing anything, couldn't they have done something to help the many people waiting in the queue? To top it off, when we finally made it to the front of the queue the security guard who stamped our passport was incredibly rude and surly. Never have I felt more unwelcome as a visitor in another country than when I went through Heathrow. If I ever come back to the UK I will definitely be avoiding Heathrow airport.
Date VisitJune 2018

"situation is extremely unjust"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | London does not have a Value Added Tax deduction service. While stores may emphasize that VAT will be returned to you at the airport while shopping, this is not the case. The queue at the VAT return desk prior to check-in is two hours long, making it practically impossible to obtain VAT. No additional counters were set up to handle peak flow. The (unadvertised) VAT return desk after customs has a shorter queue, but one must remember to keep all their goods in their carry-on baggage, which is not possible unless one is familiar with the airport. This situation is extremely unjust (I daresay exploitative). VAT returns were promised as an incentive to shop, but the system was set up in such a way as to prevent such claims from being made. The situation could readily have been rectified by setting up additional counters for peak flow to limit wait times to a more reasonable duration of perhaps thirty minutes (to deter truly frivolous claims). This situation reflects poorly on the management at Heathrow Airport.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"there is lots of signs"

Trip Verified | Friendly staff, although big airport there is lots of signs to make sure you won't get lost. Wide selection of restaurants, fast foods. Very clean, but seats could be a bit more comfortable. Security check in queuing was pretty quick.
Date VisitJune 2018

"a very modern and clean airport"

Trip Verified | Heathrow is a very modern and clean airport, it feels very secure, and it offers plenty of things to do before your flight. Security did not feel hectic and everyone was very polite. You do have to walk anywhere from 3 to 25 minutes to your gate so please keep that in mind if you’re traveling with someone elderly or with walking difficulties. They do offer a “buggy” service to take you to and from the gate however it is not conveniently located. Overall I really like this airport because you feel very safe.