Best Cabin Crew

London Heathrow Airport

"this airport is a rip-off"

(Spain)

As almost everything in UK, this airport is a rip-off. Only overpriced or fast-food in plastic containers options for lunch. The airport is more like a big mall rather than an airport. Signs are contradictory, sometimes guiding you to nowhere. Rude employees ignoring my family when they tried to communicate with them in a language other than English, then, making fun of them because they can't speak English (of course they don't know I can, but I arrived later). London Heathrow is not an international airport, compared with Seoul Incheon Airport where they help you (or try to) in many different languages.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"security is the weakest element"

I use Heathrow twice month (sometimes more) - this is usually Terminal 2 or 4 (but occasionally 3 and 5). I generally find the experience quite agreeable for both arrival and departure. The shopping and dining options are quite good - I don't really buy duty free but for practical items (toiletries, stationary, newspapers etc) I cannot think of a time I haven't found what I was looking for. It is normally quite easy to find somewhere to sit but there is not much variation in seating styles compared to many airports and this is an area I feel they could improve passenger comfort - I wouldn't fancy spending more than a couple of hours here. Immigration is usually quick for the EU lane and most of the time I use the automated machines which now seem to be more reliable. Security is the weakest element - not so much in terms of the queues and waiting times (which I've never found bad) but more the human element which lacks any real courtesy and friendliness. The staff attitude and dialogue is typically passive aggressive - particularly towards foreigners and just generally unpleasant. The number of bags being pulled for secondary checks seems to be ever increasing and there is no consistency as to why (I use an old-fashioned razor with a detachable blade and sometimes the blade is confiscated but most of the time it isn't). There is no efficiency or urgency from staff - during my recent visit there were 6 bags waiting for secondary checks with 1 staff member doing this whilst 7 uniformed security staff stood 10 feet away chatting amongst themselves - it is infuriating. Another bug bear is the Heathrow Express mobile ticketing staff that intercept unsuspecting foreigners on arrival and sell them overpriced tickets to what must be one of the biggest transportation rip-offs in our capital city. If you are not in an urgent rush, buy your ticket at the Central Station and take the Heathrow Connect stopping service which goes every 30-minutes to Paddington and only takes about 10-minutes longer - it's about half the price. I actually think it's good you can buy tickets whilst waiting for baggage but there really should be transparency about the available options - but I guess that's not in their interests.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"frustrated with the security"

I like T5, but have increasingly been frustrated with the security there. Yesterday I arrived on BA (transferring flights) at T5, it was relatively quiet and with my fast track clearance joined the dedicated queue upstairs for security screening. All passengers in that line are both eligible for fast track as well as have been cleared already at the originating airport. With about 10 or so people in front of me, it took less than 3 minutes to get to the conveyor belt to have my belongings go through screening. So far so good. Then my bag was rerouted on to a separate track for secondary screening. With about 8 bags prior to mine waiting to be checked. I then watched for almost 50 minutes, the incompetence, rude attitude and purposely slow process of each of those bags being checked by one of the security staff. As frustration grew with each of the waiting passengers - now missing connections - the attitude of this security staff member grew worse and worse. I noticed that these staff members work totally unsupervised, seem to hate their job, finding pleasure in some terribly misplaced 'power game' ruining passengers experience and disrupting travel. Needless to say that eventually everyone passed this ridiculous check without any interference since all these passengers already had been cleared previously. Everyone understands the importance of security but this is totally unacceptable, the 'do not care' attitude by both security as well as airport operator is infuriating. Today, I did have enough time to connect to my flight but anyone with less than 1H30 minutes will miss his or her connection.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"whole encounter was very upsetting"

Going through security, a number of infant items were taken to be tested. Surprisingly, baby food was tested for the first time. An aspect that we had not encountered before. During the time we had to wait for the testing, the process was very slow and the attitudes reflected by testing staff was surprisingly and shockingly rude. We were quite upset at the attitude encountered especially as we did not provoke it. As expected, the tested items passed all tests. Later on we unfortunately discovered that lids were not secured properly which wasted both medicine for our baby as well as his food. The whole encounter was very upsetting for us. The staff on shift were unprofessional. Travelling with children is challenging enough without having to encounter such behaviour.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"staff were very friendly"

So back in March 2015, I travelled to Sydney on a return flight. Arrived at Terminal 2, we managed to check in straight away with no problems. The staff were very friendly and helped us find the gate and gave us directions. The airport was clean and there were lots of restaurants. I have been to Terminal 5 as well and they are both clean. I really like coming to this airport. Will recommend.
Date VisitMarch 2015

"assistance passengers had to sit waiting"

We arrived bang on schedule at 5.30am in T5. All the assistance passengers had to sit waiting once we were off the plane, in an unheated area for absolutely ages. The member of staff who was there looked as if she didn't care less. When a lady next to me complained she shrugged and said she had phoned, and what more could she do. In fact, 5 of the passengers missed their connecting flights because the assistance staff were so disorganised. The British Airways staff who got off the plane were very apologetic but of course it was not their fault. Eventually we were fetched and ferried to A gates and made to wait again. I was eventually taken to the assistance waiting area at 7.45am. They fetched me and took me to my gate in good time. The folks who did the ferrying around were lovely and helpful but there is clearly a management issue here. Food and drinks are very expensive, but no more than other airports who take advantage of travellers. The shopping seemed far too expensive for me even to venture into some of the stores.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"plenty of eating options"

I arrived with BA on January 4 at Terminal 5. I had to transfer to Terminal 4 with a bus connection. At Terminal 4 which is used by Qatar Airways for my onward flight to DOH. Everything went well and smoothly, but I guess it had to do with the fact that I arrived at a less busy moment. Nice staff at passport/luggage checkpoint and plenty of eating options although expensive.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"unable to cope with volume of passengers"

Arrived at London Heathrow following an overnight flight from Hanoi morning of the 10 January. As usual, the plane arrived over London in plenty of time to land, but was then placed in holding pattern for ages. We finally touched down at 7.30am and disembarked relatively efficiently. Then the fun started. First of all, UK Border control was evidently unable to cope with volume of arriving passengers. The Stasi-like airport staff barked orders at the arriving passengers. Someone was informed not to take pictures of the queue - never mind the fact that the pictures were being taken in the hall leading into the passport control area and not in the hall itself - because the queue seemed to snake about 100 metres outside the hall. When passengers finally arrived in the hall, half the automated gates seemed to be giving trouble. A couple of passport control officers were having a nice chat between themselves (at desks 1 and 2) as they evidently couldn't be bothered trying to help pick up some of the slack. After getting through UK Border Control, it took another 45 minutes before our bags arrived. Honestly. What a screw-up airport.

"not a positive start"

(New Zealand)

Flew Heathrow to Auckland, via Zurich and Shanghai. Overall, Heathrow is great for its airside services and comparatively quick and friendly security process. Check in, however, is not so great. First, we were ushered towards the self service check in machines. We told the assistant that these generally hadn't worked on our long haul trips, but he insisted on trying. Sure enough, it didn't work, but the assistant said he'd try another couple of times as [the assistants] get into trouble with the airlines if passengers do not use the self service machines. It was only when the machine refused to work and we told him to give us our passports that he gave up and just walked away from us. We ended up at a desk. The lady we went to did not greet us kindly and frankly looked miserable. She told us our check in had been partially completed and had been done incorrectly. She said 'this is actually the business class desk, but I'll do it for you anyway.' (It's worth noting this was 6am, there were hardly any other other passengers around and no other desks open for our flight). When we mentioned our issues with the machines, she told us that's not her problem. She again said that the assistants at the self service check in machines are told by the airlines/airport to ensure people avoid the check in desks. She also told us that the machines are not set properly by the airlines to work on our kind of travel. Overall, not a positive start to a long trip.

"what a mishmash"

A long haul return trip which involved 3 international airports and 1 domestic, guess which one gets the thumbs down. For many years LHR has been a misery through which to travel. Trying to negotiate it is like rummaging in the Christmas sales and best avoided. T5, oh my word, what a mishmash. Arriving by bus from T2 on the ground floor, we had to make our way to the top floor. There is nothing warm about the décor with its display of the nuts and bolts that keep the building up. I recall the old Terminal 1 and this isn't much of an improvement. Upon arrival at the top of the escalator, a check on the flights board to determine where we should go for some assistance on our airline, then a look around at the myriad drop off points and signs which are strewn through the middle of the hall which completely obliterate the view of anything else which might be useful. That meant we dealt with a person who had a sign above her head which said "Assistance" when we would have been better and probably quicker at a more appropriate desk. We had been unable to check in online the night before at LAX for some unknown reason and she dealt with that part of the problem, but, could not resolve our major complaint and we had to go to desks at the far side of the hall which were fairly well obscured from view. At least the person there dealt relatively quickly and easily with our issue. This terminal and probably all of LHR needs a simplification of signage. Even fully awake, airports can be difficult to navigate, but, tired passengers don't appreciate being assailed with arrays of signage. The T5 BA Business Lounge (domestic) is shabby to say the least. The terminal itself didn't look as though there was much seating, although we were too busy trying to sort out problems to notice much, and Zone A looked very crowded. The worst thing about LHR is staff attitude. The first thing they need to realise is that airports are there for the travellers. Even when smiling at you, the attitude seems to go from condescending to surly to couldn't care less with few, but, very welcome, exceptions. Listening to what customers actually say would be helpful. Too big, too muddled, unwelcoming. Would prefer to avoid if at all possible.