London Gatwick Airport

"people bumping into each other"

Trip Verified | Overcrowded with people bumping into each other, feels like an American mall on a Saturday only with more shops. This was my first and will be last experience of the S terminal, in comparison with T5 at LHR, like comparing a Butlins holiday resort with an overwater villa in the Maldives. Security was efficient and friendly however gate staff did not have the tools to effect a good job. Long delay leading to cancellation with little to no communication given to customers. No pro active refreshments or information on EU rights was visible nor did staff have any clue as to what customers were entitled to.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"will avoid Gatwick at all costs"

Not Verified | While going through security our bags were pushed to the back and searched. The man at airport security was rude and screamed at my 12 year old. He took all our stuff out of our bags, threw it around then dumped it back in the tray all scattered in a mess and told us to leave. There was in fact no reason our bags did not pass security, but this often happens and was not the issue, the staff are rude and I will avoid Gatwick at all costs.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"staff are rude and awkward"

Not Verified | We all realise that airport security and immigration staff have an important job to do, but the staff at Gatwick are the most rude and awkward in the World. They are also completely disorganised, and they then seem to actually take great pleasure from stressing out people who are already stressed before flying. They have a horrible attitude and as such I will try to avoid Gatwick forever more. Gatwick is also very dirty, especially the toilets. Shameful!

"prompt and courteous"

Trip Verified | We flew BA Club Europe to/from Faro, the experience could not have been more pleasant. Asked for and received 'Level 1' assistance which was prompt and courteous, (bit difficult on the return as the aircraft did not park on an air-bridge, but handled well). Have used Gatwick several times recently and since BA moved to the South Terminal always had a stress-free experience.

"would not recommend"

Trip Verified | We came in to Gatwick and had an 8 hour layover before our EasyJet flight took off. We could not check our bags into EasyJet until 3 hours prior to take off and so had to stay in the north terminal with no chairs, benches, or stores with our luggage. The kind workers at the Nicholas Culpepper Restaurant felt for us and let us use their upstairs area to sit. However this is truly sad that the airport has not been aware of this and provide at least some seating. I would not recommend this to travelers in the future.
Date VisitJune 2018

"pleasantly surprised at the efficiency"

Trip Verified | We were pleasantly surprised at the efficiency of this airport. The staff were very friendly, even joking around with us. Really put us at ease as flying can be an anxious experience as it is. We were treated like humans not numbers or cattle. The US customs is the exact opposite. The US customs treat you like a prisoner or a criminal when passing thru. No smiles and no human tendencies. Anyway, Gatwick customs folk get an A from us. We look forward to a stop by to say hello on our way back to Europe. They have a very quick and organized system with lots of staff available to keep our flights safe. The airport in general was very clean and offered easy access to all areas with clear direction.The layout of the airport was very good. Food and shopping offered here was amazing! Duty free staff as well A+ Good job Gatwick!
Date VisitMay 2018

"Grumpy and rude staff"

Trip Verified | Grumpy and rude staff at Norwegian check in desk. I missed my flight because of their incompetence. There were 7 people working at check in desk but there was only one person available and the rest of them were too busy chatting with each other.
Date VisitMay 2018

"slow inefficient staff"

Not Verified | Gatwick security yet again is cumbersome, draconian, and totally out of touch with most of the world. Massive queues and slow inefficient staff. Much much easier in the USA these days. Had to do a check of my babies water bottle with maybe 200 mls in it. Just all show and no substance.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"get ignored and left standing"

Trip Verified | I pay for priority boarding in an attempt to make regular travel through Gatwick to Dublin even remotely bearable. Virtually every time I pass through the passport check to enter the gate I either get ignored and left standing, or encounter a very rude member of staff. This only ever occurs at Gatwick airport, and I find the training of these staff in customer service to be appalling. Also, once you have passed muster with the staff, you are then imprisoned in a room with no toilet facilities whatsoever. The only reason I continue to use Gatwick is its location near where I live in Sutton, although an extended trip to Heathrow might well be worth the effort.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"staff we encountered were so rude"

Not Verified | Departure was very efficient with quick turnaround through security and a good range of shops and restaurants. Coming back into the country was awful, the staff we encountered were so rude. We were told to go through the self service machines to check passports and I tried three machines six times and tried to ask for help but the member of staff was so condescending and was talking to everyone like they were stupid. It didn't bother me too much, however I am concerned that this would be the first impression of anyone visiting the UK. I do not expect the staff to be overly friendly as I know they have an important job to do but there is a way to talk to people. To top it off when we were walking though the airport yo get to the exit one of the staff driving the cart to pick up luggage trolleys swore (under their breath) at someone who got in their way. Now I know it can't be fun working at all hours in the day but this was not all nice greeting back to UK!