London Gatwick Airport

"the service was diabolical"

Verified Review | I have used Gatwick Airport at the North Terminial twice this year and on both occasions the service was diabolical. With the exception of two members of staff, the rest seem to have no customer service skills at all. They barely communicate and are openly rude. I strongly suggest that the staff receive some form of training as they do not make the travelling experience comfortable. The other problem I found was that they don't tell travellers what is going on, as there was a lot of hanging around. If I can avoid this airport I would for future travel.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"terminal woefully inadequate"

Unverified | Expected the worst when BA moved from Gatwick North to South, wasn’t disappointed – its just as bad as I remember it. Horribly overcrowded, took 15 minutes of driving around the car park before we found a space, terminal woefully inadequate for number of people, fortunately I was able to use premium security as the queues for normal were horrendous. Once inside you have that tiny shopping centre and a few seats – just trying to walk through the terminal is difficult due to the crowds. Again fortunately I was able to use an airline lounge which gave direct lift access to the boarding gates so no need to get into the crush again. On the return due to the age of my daughter couldn’t use the egates (which had large queues) and spent 45 minutes before accessing one of only 5 manned passport desks out of 20. Huge relief once we got back to the car and just got out of the awful place. Wish I could avoid ever using it again but that’s just not possible.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"it can't even supply Wi-Fi"

Unverified | The staff at security were less than nice and closed one of the bays as we walked towards it then opened it for people behind us, I was about to come back and the guard pointed for me to go on and wait in the queue further down even though he opened it as soon as we passed. Got through and my phone, my wife's phone and my children's tablet wouldn't connect to wi fi so we couldn't keep the children entertained. Such a big fancy airport and it can't even supply Wi-Fi for the children. Even city of Derry can do that. 2 out of 10.

"a good experience"

(Costa Rica)

Verified Review | Arriving at Gatwick South on a Sunday morning the queues at passport control were long, but not excessively so and despite my flight landing an hour late I caught my connection with no problems. Departing on a Bank Holiday Saturday I was pleasantly surprised to find that security was moving fast, operated by very pleasant staff. The obligation to pass through the huge Duty Free area is always annoying, but seems to be unavoidable in airports these days. Once through I sasily found somewhere to sit to wait for the gate to be shown, though disappointed that the charging service for phones, etc., was out of order in that area. The restaurants were full, as might have been expected, but it was, after all, a peak holiday period. All in all, a good experience.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"we were in the queue for a good hour"

Unverified | Arrived back to England with my husband and two kids after an 8 hour flight (with an added 2 hour delay) only to be greeted by a queue of hundreds of fellow passengers, all hoping to get through passport control. While I understand this is now a necessary evil, I can't understand why there were only 3 desks open for the 200+ EU & British citizens and 5 desks open for the Non EU citizens whose line was half the size. It's ridiculous, we were in the queue for a good hour with my 7 yr old telling me he felt sick half way through. Gatwick need to seriously sort this rubbish out! Unfortunately all the younger kids and their families have to use this queue as you have to be 12+ years to use the machines, which had no more than 12 people in the line at anytime.

"Sort it out Gatwick"

Unverified | 1 hour waiting for passport inspection? Surely a company that makes billions of pounds of profit can afford a few extra border officers. This is such a joke, year after year. Surely this is what also stops Gatwick ever getting a second runway, Heathrow manages ok? Sort it out Gatwick.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Nowhere to sit, a lot of noise and stress"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Horrible experience. The airport was completely overcrowded - both in the check-in area, the waiting areas and in security. Nowhere to sit, a lot of noise and stress. Going through security especially was a bad experience - the agents were quite rude and were rushing all the people through. Very badly organized in general. When I found out that my bag was delayed, I was treated like an idiot by the assistance staff in a moment where I just needed some help and advice dealing with a problem. I don't understand why the airport is taking in so many passengers if it structurally and organisationally can't be done in the first place. A smile and a polite mindset is all a tired, jetlagged passenger needs but I definetely didn't get this at Gatwick Airport.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Lines for food were ludicrously long"

Unverified | Arrival at the airport was horrible. The airline didn't hand out the customs forms, and there were not enough border control agents, so we waited in line for at least half an hour. By the time we cleared customs, our baggage had been offloaded from the baggage claim and was sitting in a little section with all the other bags. The arrivals area was cluttered and difficult to navigate due to the ungodly amount of passengers, not to mention that the train station was on the other side of the terminal. Departing was better, (Slightly.) The security lines were short, but it was all downhill from there. Lines for food were ludicrously long and the bathrooms were filthy. Our flight was pushed back about an hour, so that didn't make things much better. The wifi also was only free for 1 hour and there were no power outlets in sight. Upon going to the gate we were left waiting as another plane came and used the gate, while we were not giving any information. Part of the delay was technical problems, but for some inexplicable reason the busses to take us to the plane never came. After possible another 45 minutes of waiting, we were taken on a 5 minute bus ride to some random location where the plane was parked. It was so far that North Terminal was closer than the South Terminal we left from.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Crowded but still very functional"

Verified Review | This old, over used, crowded and tired airport does its best. Its a beast that is OK to the regular user who knows how to navigate it efficiently and where extra time allowed is key. Screening Security at LGW is however excellent and the system allows those who know what they are doing to help-self speed up the process. Or those who wish to take their time can do so. Its always jam-packed and you sometimes need to walk great distances. They make amazing use of one runway and are always getting better. Crowded but still very functional. Wi-fi not bad too!
Date VisitJuly 2017

"General air of unhelpfulness"

Verified Review | Worst airport of twenty or so I've been in this year. Surly staff. The word "please" is not in their vocabulary. "Shift those trays to the table" shouts a lazy security guard to pensioners with walking sticks. Totally inadequate seating. Endless shops and limited cafes. No departure boards beyond the main lounge. Rude and unhelpful staff when asked which gate to go to. Inadequate cafes with no cold drinks. General air of unhelpfulness.