London Gatwick Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 30th July 2015

A nervous flyer and flying alone on a return flight for the first time in ten years. I arrived back at Gatwick and by mistake joined the queue for epassport, by the time I realised, I was too far into the queuing process to leave that queue and join the manual passport check, plus I had been on a delayed night flight and just wanted to get home. On reaching the front of the queue I explained to the lady that I did not know what I was supposed to do, she slammed down my passport on the scanner and left me to it, despite my asking for assistance. It didn't seem to scan, so I asked again for help, she snatched the passport from my hand, slammed it down and left me to it again, nothing seemed to happen and I picked it up and she actually shouted at me! Then, finally through that bit, I was unsure of what to do next. She was at this point busy shouting at someone else who also did not know what to do! Finally she shouted the next part of the procedure at me. To add to that it seems that I have become unrecognisable since my passport renewal five years ago as it did not recognise my features. I then had to be carefully looked at by an actual person, who clearly decided it was me after all. Massive queue here, that could have been speeded up by the lady actually assisting people who are not 'seasoned flyers' through the process. I'm sure it is frustrating for her but no reason for rudeness. Not a good experience on that final part of my trip.
Date Visit30-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th July 2015

Gatwick North Terminal has recently re-organised its security services. While I am all for safety on board, the set up is now complete confusion and chaos. The planning is non existent. Cases disappear onto any one of a number of belts, and people are completely confused as to where they should pick up their possessions. Staff are picky and unreasonable in their insistence on the letter of the law. Searches must be conducted, but the system needs rethinking and the staff need to be trained to use their discretion.
Date Visit29-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th July 2015

Thompson flight lands at Gatwick at 0130. All passengers tired and just want to get home, many with young children. Cant get into passport control hall as too many people there and access blocked by staff. Everyone frustrated and angry. No information available as to why the delay, no apologies, absolutely nothing apart from one man shouting that the electronic passport checking is available. We queued for over an hour. It is very fortunate there were not any problems as the situation was very tense/unhealthy and prone to angry exchanges. The lack of information makes it worse. The place is an absolute shambles and nightmare and it appears nobody cares as nothing seems to be done. The solution appears to be more staff and more space but at least tell people what is going on to stop the frustration. The customer service is non-existant!
Date Visit28-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 22nd July 2015

Flew in yesterday with Easyjet from Brussels. At the gate the ground staff couldn't find the chocks for the wheels so we were delayed getting off the plane. Then we were so far from the terminal we had to get a bus which caused further delays. But the best was yet to come. The passport control was an absolute shambles. Massive slow moving queues, the electronic passport section wasn't working at all. They just don't seen to be geared up for the volume of passengers. It took longer to get through passport control than it did to fly from Belgium! I will think twice before using Gatwick again.
Date Visit22-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 21st July 2015

Just been at Gatwick Arrivals North Terminal off a BA flight from Naples. What an utter shame of a place. Staff are hopeless if you can find them. The queues are horrendous for everyone. The whole experience is a total disgrace. To think Gatwick is competing for a second Runway over Heathrows third is laughable. Whoever is in "charge" should be brought to book'.
Date Visit21-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th July 2015

My wife, myself and 2 grandchildren were traveling from Orlando through to Gatwick on Wed 15 July 2015 and had to get a connecting flight to Glasgow. We got off our flight from Orlando on time and made our way to passport control. I was horrified to find the size of the queue, I told a staff member that we had a connecting flight to get and was told there would be no problem making it on time. What a shambles. 40 minutes later I got through and we all hurried upstairs to find the plane had left on time. They helped us get our connecting flight to Glasgow 6 hours later. You will never see us again in an English airport.
Date Visit19-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th July 2015

South Terminal Departure - The Check In is one of the worst I have experienced. The Check In was like a scene from 'Come Fly with Me'. We were checking in for the Riga flight, the agent tried to charge me for a hold bag we had paid for in advance, the agent could not or did not look at the correct booking. Security was quick and a painless experience, with it taking approx. 15 minutes to complete the checks and searches. After security, you are subjected to walk though the Duty Free shop rather than straight into the terminal and you can then decide if you want to visit duty free. The Terminal is a silent terminal which means you have to watch the monitors for the gate number to be displayed. The food court is on the second level and does not have that many monitors. Arrival - This can be a route march from the gate to passport control, and you also have to battle with impatient disabled buggy drivers who think they have the right of way. We cleared passport control in a matter of minutes and then had a wait while they made up their minds which belt the bags would appear on. On the whole Gatwick is reasonable airport but they have allowed a cowboy handling agent to get a foot in the door.
Date Visit18-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th July 2015

Passport control at Gatwick North is a shameful example of incompetence and has to be sorted out. No matter what time of day I have arrived, it has taken over 45 minutes to get through. I have an electronic passport which is slower than you can imagine and there just aren't enough barriers to cope!
Date Visit18-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 13th July 2015

Although the departure was good, the arrival tonight 12th July was a disgrace. Passport control was a shambles and although my family have e-passports, the queue was incredibly slow and took us 45 minutes to get to use the passport electronic machines. These are obviously not working effectively as they were taking over a minute to do each passenger. NORTH terminal is not a good representation of the UK for anyone entering our country or for any national wanting to 're enter. The staff were rude, gave bad service and little information to the public. One member of staff refuted that epassport were designed to make passport control easier and quicker for the public. I can now see why Gatwick has a poor reputation and why the next london additional airport capacity will not be going to them.
Date Visit12-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th July 2015

What complete chaos at this airport. Was meeting my family and it was terrible. Long queues to get into the short stay car park at the North Terminal and once inside the terminal it was awful. Nobody there to control the mass of people exiting from flights and my family told me it was around an hour's delay at passport control. Disgraceful. What a poor impression this dump must give to overseas visitors.
Date Visit12-07-2015