Top 100 Airlines

London Gatwick Airport

"my advice avoid Gatwick"

Arrived into London Gatwick in the afternoon 10 minutes early. After a long hike to passport control, we ended up in a queue for over 40 minutes. This was particularly annoying as half the E gates were not working. Surely they need far more of these and to have them all working? I have no idea how they might think they could cope with an extra runway. I always try to fly from Heathrow which is much better organised and clearly could cope with another runway. Both airports use UK Border Control so why are the so different. My advice avoid Gatwick.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"queuing system is a farce"

The security queuing system at Gatwick south terminal is a farce and made worse on the 28th September by staff literally shouting at all customers that they need to have toiletries in a sealed plastic bag. If this was a country run by a totalitarian regime - this type of officious behaviour would be expected. As it is - it is unacceptable. The reason why the queuing system is a farce is that the various lines feed into a holding area where people queue in one of 7 places. If you are allocated space 7 - your luggage is the last to move forward to be scanned - and others at places 1-6 are constantly putting their luggage onto the belt. So - even though you were before them in the main queue - they all get through before you. Finally - having achieved the goal of getting through security - the terminal is just one large shopping space with no quiet areas to wait. It is a nightmare - and I wish it was not my local airport. If I had a choice - I would never use it again.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"arrived to absolute chaos"

Verified Review | Arrived to absolute chaos at London Gatwick North Terminal. Less than half of the automatic passport booths open. 2 staff members chatting about the 7 minute queue which was at least 20 minutes. No explanations as to where to queue, lines of herded humans queue like cattle, up and down and up and down the barriers - an embarrassment to the UK to call this an international airport. Had arrived from Dubai which was a first class airport - we should learn from their layout and how they respect passengers. Shocking, appalling, embarrassing, degrading - management - what is happening?
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"there is nowhere to go"

Arrived at London Gatwick the recommended 2 hours before my flight was due to depart, and went to check my baggage. All good so far. At check-in, my wife and I were informed to pass through passport control, and wait approximately an hour for the gate confirmed. All very quick, easy and efficient enough. Then, bang. As soon as we're 'stuck' in the departure lounge, with nowhere to go it's announced the flight is delayed. And I mean stuck. There is nowhere to go for the basic human right of having a cigarette. Some people can be delayed for hours, with a long haul flight to follow, and yet one of the world's busiest airports cannot cater to it's customers. Completely disgusting, considering the alcoholics can get beer/spirits etc and drink them accordingly. But just one little segregated area for smokers waiting for a delayed flight? No! Airports at less-developed countries can even get this right, but not us Brits.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"everything went smoothly enough"

We departed from Gatwick on Sat 10 Sept. Everything went smoothly enough. Main problem being that gate details don't come up early enough. Although we did hear the loud speakers, while shopping, they weren't very clear, and we did not hear the name of our destination. We nearly missed our flight, as a result. But basically OK. Our return (Saturday the 24th) was another matter. We were held up in the hallway before we got to border control. No explanation. When we did get in the hall, it was packed. However, it only took about 30 minutes to get through. Our bags came through shortly after we cleared. We had expected them to be there already. Our taxi driver wasn't allowed to pick us up at arrivals. He had to park the taxi and pay a minimum of £3.50, which he charged to us. Well, at least we got some help with our bags, but we weren't expecting to have to drag them up to the car park.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"only four desks were occupied"

Queued for almost 35 minutes. Only four desks were occupied by staff. No complaints about the staff but surely there should be more than 4 people staffing these desks on a very busy Friday evening. My passport has an E - passport facility but the queues there seemed extremely long. Of course checks must be thorough, but in this day and age, the sheer time that it takes to get through customs and the lack of an manpower is extremely worrying. What on earth the queues are like in July and August, I dread to think. Management need to recruit more staff.

"an appalling experience"

Arrival at North Terminal was an appalling experience. Immigration queues began in the corridors from the gates. There were no announcements, no explanations and no apologies. Two junior airport staff were attempting queue management. Less than half the immigration desks were manned. We made it to baggage control 60 mins after landing, to find the BA Baggage Handling desk had closed for the night. UK Border Force has apparently got resourcing issues, but airports have a chance to distinguish themselves by how they handle the resulting problems. Based on our experience, Gatwick has shown itself to be incompetent and disinterested in customer welfare.

"what a farce"

Absolute chaos at London Gatwick passport control - hundreds of people queuing with no staff on hand to control flow of people. Arguments were breaking out, tensions running high. Not enough passport staff on hand to deal with the huge amout of arrivals. Will never use Gatwick again. Am embarrassed to be British - what a farce.

"absolutely horrendous experience"

London Gatwick staffing levels, customer service and the whole experience is very disturbing. The queues were absolutely horrendous, the organisation and planning, was disgracefull. Nobody knew where to queue, how to queue, and even worse, there was not one staff member to ask or help out. It was, what I could only describe as an utter national disgrace. I was, and still am astonished and ashamed of it. Many people were angry and frustrated. When I asked a staff member, who finally arrived (only one by the way), where were all the staff, she replied "We do not have any", so I asked her if they are doing a recruitment drive, she replied, "No, we are getting rid of people!" Absolutely horrendous experience.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"making the UK look incapable"

London Gatwick is a complete dump and the lack off any thought for the customer experience is absolutely shocking. Whoever delivered the e-passport service should be accountable for making the UK look incapable, I felt like cattle not a human in the queues. The whole surrounding lights flicker making it feel like you have gone back in time, why would they want to represent the UK like this?