Top 100 Airlines

London Gatwick Airport

"there is a way to do things"

(Spain)

A small percentage of the security staff at Gatwick north departures on Monday afternoon were the pits with regards to respect and general attitude. I understand that they have a difficult job and Joe Public can be a bit of a pain at times. I also understand that procedures need to be adhered to especially in these difficult times. However, and this is a big however. My hand luggage passed muster and I had no problems with finding the exact spot to queue, stand and then find the numbered area to load my things on to trays but woe betide the traveler who hesitated for one second or who just double checked they were doing the correct thing. I really did feel sorry for some lovely people who were made to feel like idiots in front of their fellow travellers. There is a way to do things and whilst 90% of the staff were polite and professional, the 10% bully boys have completely lost the plot.
Date VisitApril 2016

"security was friendly and fast"

I travelled through London Gatwick last Saturday week en route to Dublin. Its a very different experience from Heathrow, security was friendly and fast. I dislike walking through the duty free mall (reminiscent of terminal three at Heathrow) en route to the lounge/gate areas. The renovation of the South Terminal is quite good although there is an "Old Kent Road" feel to the whole experience. The No1 lounge was fine on a quiet Saturday afternoon: the flight inbound was early so we had a fast, efficient flight to Dublin arriving 30 minutes early. Its hard to see where Gatwick goes as Terminal 2 and 5 at LHR are far superior to anything Gatwick offers. It will be interesting to see how the terminal "reshuffle" works over the next twelve months.
Date VisitApril 2016

"be prepared to walk miles"

North terminal - if you fly with Easyjet be prepared to walk miles from the plane to the terminal, dragging your heavy case up and down stairs. Security staff were rude and ignorant. I was hurried through like it was a cattle market when there was no queue. They don't even give you chance to get your liquids out of your bag before barking at you to get it through the machine. Also this is the only airport I've encountered where they insist you take your Kindle out of your bag. They don't tell you to remove your shoes but I took mine off anyway (I was right). In departure lounge there are always queues for the ladies toilets. Not enough quiet lounges. Wifi is a total joke. Oh, and when your gate is finally announced you have at least a 15/20 minute walk to get there.
Date VisitApril 2016

"customer service is truly appalling"

The bag searching staff were deliberately obstructive. My toiletries bag was sent for x-ray. The female searcher, fully aware that I was close to missing my flight deliberately delayed returning them to me. It took three enquiries, the last to the so-call manager before they were returned. Their customer service is truly appalling.
Date VisitApril 2016

"ladies cubicle was totally unacceptable"

We live in Jersey so frequently use Gatwick airport. We arrived in the South Terminal on Friday 15th April and used the toilet facilities. This was at 8am in the morning and the ladies cubicle that I used was totally unacceptable. The whole cubicle smelt of urine, I felt that I needed to shower and change my clothes after being there. I have used the facility many times before and the toilet was spotless. This is totally unacceptable and does not give a good impression to people coming into the UK, where are the early morning cleaners?

"completely unacceptable"

Passport control is completely unacceptable. Having flown from Geneva it took as long to get through passport control as it did to do the flight. A number of flights landed at the same time and only 2 desks were open, where they not expecting those flights? Thank goodness they aren't getting an extra runway.

"certainly wasn't impressed"

I haven't flown from Gatwick North Terminal for quite some time but certainly wasn't impressed. There are no flight departure boards prior to going through security so you have no information if your flight has been cancelled/heavily delayed. I don't like sitting in a stuffy departure lounge for hours on end and will delay going through security until I have a firm departure time. For some reason Gatwick Airport don't think it is necessary to provide this information. Having travelled extensively throughout the world, I can think of no other airport that does not provide flight information prior to going through security. Their wifi is next to useless, impossible to connect. Toilets filthy with leaking urinals. Having gone through security, it was extremely difficult to even get a seat and after a couple of hours, lo and behold, the flight was cancelled. No information was given that the flight had been cancelled. My partner eventually managed to get a wifi connection and discovered it was cancelled by looking at our destination's website. Upon enquiring at the airline help desk, we were eventually informed to walk to gate 50, then when everyone was gathered there, we then had to walk a considerable distance all the way back to international arrivals and had to queue to go through immigration on a domestic flight. I had no passport with me as it was a domestic flight, however, it seems you can re enter the UK with a driving licence which was accepted - what a farce. I will avoid this airport at all costs in the future.

"a very good experience"

There has certainly been a big upgrade to Gatwick since I flew there last. I'd checked in online. When I got to the airport I was guided to the self check in for people with baggage. It was so simple to print out my boarding pass, bag ticket and then drop my bag off. Going through emigration we just had to scan our tickets at the automatic gates to go through. The main problem came at security when they ran out of baskets to put our personal items in to be scanned. This took about five minutes to sort out and then only a few minutes to go through. After that, it's the long crawl through a huge row of shops you're obliged to go through before getting through to airside. Apart from that a very good experience.

"toilet was filthy"

We arrived at Gatwick North on Thomson flight TOM53. The crew radioed ahead informing that there were several wheelchairs required but only 1 wheelchair appeared. I waited some 20 minutes after all other passengers had left until member of staff attended but she found it difficult to push me up the airbridge and my wife and had to assist. Outside passport control my wife and I needed to use the toilets - the disabled toilet was filthy, the floors wet and a terrible smell. My wife used the ladies toilets which were also disgusting.

"staff were invisible"

Due to flight control strike in France my flight back to Geneva had a 3 hour delay. Most passengers had no idea about the strike and no information was given to us by the airport staff who were invisible. We could not ask anybody what was going on as all airport staff were in hiding. Finally, information was given over the speaker to go to gate 105, then 112, and at last 567 which was on the other side of Gatwick. We couldn't take the escalator as it was running in the opposite direction, so all passengers had to wait in line for 2 lifts to take us to the departure lounge. This caused chaos. Further, at gate 567 we were told that all hand luggage will be going into the hold, as the airplane is fully booked, we had to carry the luggage personally down some steep stairs, no help was offered.