London Gatwick Airport

"flights are so often delayed"

Verified Review | Gatwick has improved significantly in the last few years in all but the most important, on time arrival and departure. Security, ambience etc all greatly improved but I dread flying from Gatwick because flights are so often delayed. Today is my 6th flight to/from Gatwick in 6 weeks and everyone has been delayed. Currently sitting in Bordeaux waiting for an easyJet flight 90 mins delayed ("delayed due to late arrival of the inbound aircraft") and the plane's coming from Gatwick. Surprise surprise. Busiest single runway airport in the world scheduling far too many flights for its capacity. Hopefully I'll be able to use Heathrow next flight (although it's not much better).

"hugely confusing signs"

Verified Review | Because I wrote a glowing review of Dublin Airport this morning after wonderful customer service in security I had to write about my experience just now on arrival in Gatwick. I could not have been less helped or more confused and it has taken 50 minutes to get off the plane and onto a train! This was due to hugely confusing signs about going to platform 4 and no help or explanation from staff. The train station was so clearly signed I thought I was off to a good start. But the staff person who was directing customers to buy tickets just kept yelling at us. I appreciate queues. I am a primary teacher. I teach people to line up and queue but her yelling added to my stress as I wanted to obey her and felt under time pressure which I am not myself as I have no further destination. She put me off asking for any help so instead of just topping up my Oyster card which I think was all I needed to do. I topped it up. Then couldn't see that it could be used to travel so bought a separate ticket only after throwing £20 into a hole in the machine under the place where the money was meant to be placed. I lost my money but was too anxious to ask for help from the lady still yelling so I started again and bought the ticket. This was before I tried to find the very confusingly signposts for platform 3 and 4. They are in the same direction as the others but signs suggest they are elsewhere completely. I should not need to list all of my qualifications but I am not a frequent traveller and the difference in customer service between Dublin and Gatwick staff was simply huge. I am the kind of person who bothers to write to thank staff for good reviews. I wanted the staff in Dublin to hear my thanks. In Gatwick I was left flabbergasted at their manner which I've only experienced in New York.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Disgraceful queue at security"

Verified Review | Disgraceful queue at security with only 3 people checking passports for more than 150 people and especially many kids and babies enduring a wait of more than 1 hour standing. Would never expect this during summer holidays on a Sunday afternoon with ten passport checking desks empty.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Signage is OK. Gatwick is OK"

Verified Review | Ex Gatwick South terminal. Rtn Gatwick North terminal. Used Gatwick airport official valet parking at South terminal. No problems at all. Short walk to/from South terminal. Security staffed by the usual stressed out, snappy staff. 2/4 of us sent through the body scanner. Many people being sent through the body scanner so had to queue even for that. The usual forced route through 'duty free'. Not a lot of free seating as it has been sacrificed for retail space. Usual very high prices for food and drink. Toilet was in an OK state when I used it. Lots of ISS housekeeping staff around in the corridors chatting and on their smartphones. Long walk to boarding gate. Toilets at boarding gate in better state. Airbridge to aircraft. On return to North terminal, 5-6 minute taxi to gate. No airbridge. 5-6 minute walk to UK border. Used e-passport control. Overall 10-11 minutes for me & wife to get through e-passport control without problem. Daughter required 3 attempts before machine allowed her through. Son refused entry via e-passport control machine and had to queue up at manned UK border control. Overall, took about 20 minutes waiting to get through the border for the 4 of us. No baggage from flight in baggage collection. Had to wait a further 5 minutes before that started to appear. More ISS housekeeping staff standing around chatting. Very short wait for shuttle back to South terminal. Signage is OK. Gatwick is OK. My main gripe with Gatwick is spending 40 minutes of a 3.5 hour flight going around in circles over Sussex waiting for a landing slot at a not particularly busy time of day.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"a stress free experience"

Unverified | Two weeks before departure I had a bad accident to my leg which meant I had to use a walking stick and found it extremely difficult to stand for even the shortest of times. As the holiday came closer I was getting very stressed as to how I would manage at the airport re. Checking in and walking to the flight area. As it happened I managed to get to the check in desk where there were no queues and after that found a customer care area nearby where my husband asked if help could be obtained. The people there were extremely helpful and after waiting a few minutes a staff member called us forward taking charge of our hand luggage and directed us towards a 'golf buggy' which drove me all the way to a corralled area for disabled customers and given a monitor which would beep whebpn they were ready to take us to the flight. Eventually this happened and we were given priority boarding. Thank you so very much Gatwick staff for a stress free experience. Fully recommend your airport to anyone.
Date VisitJune 2017

"much more comforting than Heathrow"

Verified Review | Went from Gatwick North with EasyJet. The arrivals hall although busy is smart and has a decent amount of shops that were open at 2.20am in the morning. Bag Drop was very easy and security was quick. Departures were decent with good lounges, the floor could do with an upgrade! On return at 3 pm passport control was empty and the baggage carousels were very quick. Brilliant Airport much more comforting than Heathrow.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Worst airport I have used for years"

Verified Review | Worst airport I have used for years. Over an hour to get through passport control on return. Staff totally useless and made the situation even worse. Even after that hour delay luggage still not on the belt. Won't use Gatwick again if I can avoid it.
Date VisitJune 2017

"goes downhill at a rapid rate of knots"

Verified Review | Well I travel out of Gatwick on the day after the league tables were published and Gatwick South is fast trying to overtake London Stansted has the airport that is holding the league table up. The south terminal security was professional and polite and they were friendly and also give the impression that they understood that sometimes items which should be in the plastic bag are overlooked in error. However from there is goes downhill at a rapid rate of knots. You have to run the gauntlet of the staff in Duty Free trying to force free alcoholic tasters on you then once you have got out the food court there are not enough tables and chairs in any of the outlets then when we found an empty table in Weatherspoon's we had to clear it ourselves. The staff were run off their feet delivering breakfasts, and tried to clear tables on the way back to collect the next orders, The toilet's were clean and looked if they were regularly cleaned or maybe it was early morning so it could be a carry over of the night time deep clean. Our airbaltic flight was delayed but the gate was displayed and the flight despatcher from Gatwick Ground Services was on duty and she was trying her best to give answers to passengers but one person trying to answer 80+ people is not a good impression of the airport. After about 25 minutes and a colleague making a few phonecalls. Another 2 members of staff from the ground handling agents Gatwick Ground Service strolled up to the desk and then spent a good 10 minutes talking and trying to look busy. The inbound aircraft arrived and after one hours delay the Aircraft Cabin Service Manager was seen knocking at the locked door to the airbridge this was after passengers heard the radion telling the two gate staff that the aircraft was ready for boarding. Myself and another passenger told the staff that someone was trying contact them to which we were both told to mind out own business. The flight departed 90 minutes late due to the total incompetence of the gate staff. However we did make some time due to tail winds on route. The arrival back today was say the least something out of Fawlty Towers, the flight was held in Riga for an hour due to ATC congestion at Gatwick. Then when we arrived we were kept waiting for 20 minutes while the air bridge was attached by Gatwick Ground Services. Some kind person had decided to park the aircraft at the furthest gate from passport control and baggage reclaim possible and to add insult to injury we walk passed about 10 empty gates nearer to the border controls and baggage reclaim. We then had to see 5 desks unmanned and 8 epassport gate out of service, however the epassport queues were moving but there needs to be signage warning families to use the manned desks has children do have epassports. We then had to wait 20 minutes for the bags.
Date VisitJune 2017

"to be avoided at all cost"

Verified Review | Worst airport in London. Poor service, disorganized, terrible transport links to London (especially now that they have cancelled the night trains) and unhygenic. Despite the terminals being chaotic the worst thing this airport has are the terrible links to London in the evening, to be avoided at all cost.
Date VisitJune 2017

"chaotic and disorganised airport"

Verified Review | My husband and I passed through LGW South Terminal on the way to, and back, from Naples last week. Never have I been in a more chaotic and disorganised airport terminal in the world. It was overcrowded, dirty and had a massive lack of seating. The Weatherspoon Bar and the nearby toilets were old and disgusting. The Bar was more like a war zone than a relaxing place to have a pre-flight meal and drink and you could never have taken children into the drunken rabble of hen and stag revellers spilling out into the main terminal seating area. There was a huge lack of bars/restaurants and even though a Jamie Oliver restaurant is planned it will not go near enough to cater for the huge numbers of people. We have been in better third world airports and frankly we had to admit to some Americans waiting for thier flight to the US that it made us ashamed to be British.