Airline of the Year

London Gatwick Airport

"chaotic and disorganised airport"

Verified Review | My husband and I passed through LGW South Terminal on the way to, and back, from Naples last week. Never have I been in a more chaotic and disorganised airport terminal in the world. It was overcrowded, dirty and had a massive lack of seating. The Weatherspoon Bar and the nearby toilets were old and disgusting. The Bar was more like a war zone than a relaxing place to have a pre-flight meal and drink and you could never have taken children into the drunken rabble of hen and stag revellers spilling out into the main terminal seating area. There was a huge lack of bars/restaurants and even though a Jamie Oliver restaurant is planned it will not go near enough to cater for the huge numbers of people. We have been in better third world airports and frankly we had to admit to some Americans waiting for thier flight to the US that it made us ashamed to be British.
Date VisitJune 2017

"fastrack security totally useless"

Departure from London Gatwick - I always use fastrack for security checks. Well it's totally useless when you get to the conveyor belt which has up to 8 people putting their stuff on it and the officer puts me in position 8, where my stuff takes forever to get through. There should be a dedicated conveyor belt and dedicated check, or place me in position 1 or 2 at most, otherwise it's useless. The queue is often badly managed, staff don't make bags proceed fast enough, bags checks is too slow, not enough personnel. They rather chat to each other instead of doing their job. Speedy boarding / fastrack users should be separated after boarding checks, and board accordingly to priority, instaed you have to stay on your feet in front of the door otherwise people without priority sneaks in and board before speedy boarders, staff don't control this. They don't do it when scanning your ticket either. Arrival - passport control is a nightmare, there are some 15/20 automatic passport checking machines and on Monday morning (when everybody is there at the same time) the vast majority of machines is not working they're broken. So the queue is huge. Moreover, people who get stuck in the machine don't get help, so they stay there without knowing what to do and that make the queue even longer. In general the operational part is neglected, they're understaffed. Monitors with flight info are not many and you have to walk too much to get to read one of those.

"shameful, archaic, unprofessional"

Verified Review | My flight from Toronto arrived later and due to this delay I had 2 hours to catch another flight from the north terminal. I thought giving myself 3 hours would be more than sufficient and having lost an hour already from my first delay, I still had hope I would make the next flight. I was horrified when I came into passport control. There must've been 1000 or more people with lineups right back up the ramp we had come down and through multiple lines back-and-forth for as far as I could see. There wasn't any clear signage to state whether I had to go through passport control in order to get onto my next flight. I asked one of the people with the uniform and they said yes I had to go through this. I've begged them with tears if they could please marshal me up near the front given the fact I would definitely miss my connecting flight. The woman had empathy but she had to ask her supervisor for permission but he basically said you have to stand in the queue like everyone else. This is not customer service. In a civilized country and airport, where people are in a position that they will miss their flight, they need only to go to a representative, show their ticket and be escorted to the front. Most especially when the delay was not their fault. Further, I think by now the airport should know the schedule and arrivals of passengers and staff up accordingly so that people are not waiting one hour and 25 minutes to get their passport stamped. We are not cattle. We are not stupid. We do not work for you, we do however pay your salaries. Shameful, archaic, unprofessional, discourteous and embarrassing. Thats what I will remember about Gatwick.

"what a joke"

Going outward bound wasn't too bad but arrival back into Gatwick was so stressful, one of the staff saw we had children with us and said we could go in the family line. What a joke, it took about fifteen minutes whereas other members of my family went through normal customs and went straight through. No one seemed to know what they were doing. I will make a better choice of airport next time.
Date VisitMay 2017

"return process was absolute chaos"

The departure process from Gatwick was smooth and efficient. The return process was absolute chaos. We queued for 40 mins to get through the e-passport system! There were no staff directing passengers where the queue started so passengers from flights landing just joined wherever there was a space when they reached the crowd trying to find the end of the queue. Half of the other passport desks were closed so all in all it was a poor performance! It took 2 hours from landing to get to Victoria for our connections and that was with carry on luggage. Poor signage directing inside the terminal from North to South trains, look to direct you out of the building rather than to the lift for 1 floor up. Now looking for another airport to fly from!
Date VisitMay 2017

"security is quick and professional"

Verified Review | Not perfect but Gatwick undoubtedly has the best departure process of all the airports I have experienced. Security is quick and professional (although not as friendly as Belfast) and everyone gets through at a good pace. Arrivals still leave a lot to be desired, the passport control is worse than average. The automatic passport control barriers don't work for many of the passengers who then have to queue up again at the manual desks. The toilets at arrivals in South terminal are by far the best of all airports (including in private lounges).

"in utter chaos"

We have just arrived back home from a Dubrovnik flight and passport control in the south terminal is in utter chaos! The passports scanners are hardly working and very few border staff are on duty. I have never seen the staff work so slow either. It was commented by others queuing that the staff seemed to be in a deliberate 'go slow'. I must agree, it definitely seemed this way to me. Passengers were getting very frustrated due to the queue moving so slowly and complaints being made to supervising officers.
Date VisitApril 2017

"herded into a single huge queue"

Arrived at Gatwick on Friday night with family and two children, all families with children were herded into a single huge queue at passport control, which took us over a hour to get through. All other passengers without children were allowed to pass through without incident. I would like to know why? It looked quicker to be a foreign national than to be a UK citizen.
Date VisitApril 2017

"lacks quality of service"

(Ukraine)

Verified Review | London Gatwick is not a pleasant airport. It is clearly saturated, and I can not recommend it for other travelers. First of all, it's very far from London's city center, and it takes up to two hours to reach it by bus or train. Then, the conception of departure hall is disturbing, and not very easy to understand. It becomes even worse once you pass the security check, as you have to walk maybe 15 minutes to find your gate, including a very special apron cross by a 30m high glass bridge. I also got disapointed by the fact you can not find any service at night when you have to check-in at 03:00 AM. There are only few seats in public area, and not more in reserved area, and it's quite impossible to find a socket to plug your mobile phone. Wifi isn't free and is limited on time. I really think this airport lacks quality of service and I will try to avoid it as much as possible.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"security took all of 5 minutes"

I had not used London Gatwick south terminal for a while so was interested to see how it operates. On departure, check in and security took all of 5 minutes and were so smooth as to 'de-stress' me after an irritating train journey. On arrival, I was through border control and bag collection within 30 minutes of getting off the plane. A good impression. On the down side, it is on 3 levels so there is a lot of going up and down on escalators. The public departure lounge is full of shops and restaurants and not a relaxing place to spend time without access to an airline lounge.
Date VisitMarch 2017