London Gatwick Airport

"Nowhere to sit, a lot of noise and stress"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Horrible experience. The airport was completely overcrowded - both in the check-in area, the waiting areas and in security. Nowhere to sit, a lot of noise and stress. Going through security especially was a bad experience - the agents were quite rude and were rushing all the people through. Very badly organized in general. When I found out that my bag was delayed, I was treated like an idiot by the assistance staff in a moment where I just needed some help and advice dealing with a problem. I don't understand why the airport is taking in so many passengers if it structurally and organisationally can't be done in the first place. A smile and a polite mindset is all a tired, jetlagged passenger needs but I definetely didn't get this at Gatwick Airport.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Lines for food were ludicrously long"

Unverified | Arrival at the airport was horrible. The airline didn't hand out the customs forms, and there were not enough border control agents, so we waited in line for at least half an hour. By the time we cleared customs, our baggage had been offloaded from the baggage claim and was sitting in a little section with all the other bags. The arrivals area was cluttered and difficult to navigate due to the ungodly amount of passengers, not to mention that the train station was on the other side of the terminal. Departing was better, (Slightly.) The security lines were short, but it was all downhill from there. Lines for food were ludicrously long and the bathrooms were filthy. Our flight was pushed back about an hour, so that didn't make things much better. The wifi also was only free for 1 hour and there were no power outlets in sight. Upon going to the gate we were left waiting as another plane came and used the gate, while we were not giving any information. Part of the delay was technical problems, but for some inexplicable reason the busses to take us to the plane never came. After possible another 45 minutes of waiting, we were taken on a 5 minute bus ride to some random location where the plane was parked. It was so far that North Terminal was closer than the South Terminal we left from.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Crowded but still very functional"

Verified Review | This old, over used, crowded and tired airport does its best. Its a beast that is OK to the regular user who knows how to navigate it efficiently and where extra time allowed is key. Screening Security at LGW is however excellent and the system allows those who know what they are doing to help-self speed up the process. Or those who wish to take their time can do so. Its always jam-packed and you sometimes need to walk great distances. They make amazing use of one runway and are always getting better. Crowded but still very functional. Wi-fi not bad too!
Date VisitJuly 2017

"General air of unhelpfulness"

Verified Review | Worst airport of twenty or so I've been in this year. Surly staff. The word "please" is not in their vocabulary. "Shift those trays to the table" shouts a lazy security guard to pensioners with walking sticks. Totally inadequate seating. Endless shops and limited cafes. No departure boards beyond the main lounge. Rude and unhelpful staff when asked which gate to go to. Inadequate cafes with no cold drinks. General air of unhelpfulness.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"flights are so often delayed"

Verified Review | Gatwick has improved significantly in the last few years in all but the most important, on time arrival and departure. Security, ambience etc all greatly improved but I dread flying from Gatwick because flights are so often delayed. Today is my 6th flight to/from Gatwick in 6 weeks and everyone has been delayed. Currently sitting in Bordeaux waiting for an easyJet flight 90 mins delayed ("delayed due to late arrival of the inbound aircraft") and the plane's coming from Gatwick. Surprise surprise. Busiest single runway airport in the world scheduling far too many flights for its capacity. Hopefully I'll be able to use Heathrow next flight (although it's not much better).

"hugely confusing signs"

Verified Review | Because I wrote a glowing review of Dublin Airport this morning after wonderful customer service in security I had to write about my experience just now on arrival in Gatwick. I could not have been less helped or more confused and it has taken 50 minutes to get off the plane and onto a train! This was due to hugely confusing signs about going to platform 4 and no help or explanation from staff. The train station was so clearly signed I thought I was off to a good start. But the staff person who was directing customers to buy tickets just kept yelling at us. I appreciate queues. I am a primary teacher. I teach people to line up and queue but her yelling added to my stress as I wanted to obey her and felt under time pressure which I am not myself as I have no further destination. She put me off asking for any help so instead of just topping up my Oyster card which I think was all I needed to do. I topped it up. Then couldn't see that it could be used to travel so bought a separate ticket only after throwing £20 into a hole in the machine under the place where the money was meant to be placed. I lost my money but was too anxious to ask for help from the lady still yelling so I started again and bought the ticket. This was before I tried to find the very confusingly signposts for platform 3 and 4. They are in the same direction as the others but signs suggest they are elsewhere completely. I should not need to list all of my qualifications but I am not a frequent traveller and the difference in customer service between Dublin and Gatwick staff was simply huge. I am the kind of person who bothers to write to thank staff for good reviews. I wanted the staff in Dublin to hear my thanks. In Gatwick I was left flabbergasted at their manner which I've only experienced in New York.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Disgraceful queue at security"

Verified Review | Disgraceful queue at security with only 3 people checking passports for more than 150 people and especially many kids and babies enduring a wait of more than 1 hour standing. Would never expect this during summer holidays on a Sunday afternoon with ten passport checking desks empty.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Signage is OK. Gatwick is OK"

Verified Review | Ex Gatwick South terminal. Rtn Gatwick North terminal. Used Gatwick airport official valet parking at South terminal. No problems at all. Short walk to/from South terminal. Security staffed by the usual stressed out, snappy staff. 2/4 of us sent through the body scanner. Many people being sent through the body scanner so had to queue even for that. The usual forced route through 'duty free'. Not a lot of free seating as it has been sacrificed for retail space. Usual very high prices for food and drink. Toilet was in an OK state when I used it. Lots of ISS housekeeping staff around in the corridors chatting and on their smartphones. Long walk to boarding gate. Toilets at boarding gate in better state. Airbridge to aircraft. On return to North terminal, 5-6 minute taxi to gate. No airbridge. 5-6 minute walk to UK border. Used e-passport control. Overall 10-11 minutes for me & wife to get through e-passport control without problem. Daughter required 3 attempts before machine allowed her through. Son refused entry via e-passport control machine and had to queue up at manned UK border control. Overall, took about 20 minutes waiting to get through the border for the 4 of us. No baggage from flight in baggage collection. Had to wait a further 5 minutes before that started to appear. More ISS housekeeping staff standing around chatting. Very short wait for shuttle back to South terminal. Signage is OK. Gatwick is OK. My main gripe with Gatwick is spending 40 minutes of a 3.5 hour flight going around in circles over Sussex waiting for a landing slot at a not particularly busy time of day.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"a stress free experience"

Unverified | Two weeks before departure I had a bad accident to my leg which meant I had to use a walking stick and found it extremely difficult to stand for even the shortest of times. As the holiday came closer I was getting very stressed as to how I would manage at the airport re. Checking in and walking to the flight area. As it happened I managed to get to the check in desk where there were no queues and after that found a customer care area nearby where my husband asked if help could be obtained. The people there were extremely helpful and after waiting a few minutes a staff member called us forward taking charge of our hand luggage and directed us towards a 'golf buggy' which drove me all the way to a corralled area for disabled customers and given a monitor which would beep whebpn they were ready to take us to the flight. Eventually this happened and we were given priority boarding. Thank you so very much Gatwick staff for a stress free experience. Fully recommend your airport to anyone.
Date VisitJune 2017

"much more comforting than Heathrow"

Verified Review | Went from Gatwick North with EasyJet. The arrivals hall although busy is smart and has a decent amount of shops that were open at 2.20am in the morning. Bag Drop was very easy and security was quick. Departures were decent with good lounges, the floor could do with an upgrade! On return at 3 pm passport control was empty and the baggage carousels were very quick. Brilliant Airport much more comforting than Heathrow.