Vote Now

London Gatwick Airport

"a pleasure to breeze through"

Verified Review | After an, utterly horrendous, 3 hour, experience at Orlando International, two weeks prior, it was a pleasure to breeze through the automated passport and immigration control area in less than 10 minutes! Thank you Gatwick North Terminal, we will be back!
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"penny pinching at customers expense"

Verified Review | The staffing and organizational problems at Gatwick become very exposed when the added challenge of the skiing season arrives. I experienced this for the 3rd year in a row yesterday when I arrived back after a horrible experience at Verona. I thought that after all the hype from the Management at Gatwick about how ready they are to expand that they might have got their current ability sorted out - sadly not. My heart sank when I got to North Terminal baggage claim to find the hall rammed with fellow skiers from other destinations who had already been waiting an hour for their luggage and the only reason offered over the PA was a shortage of baggage handlers - same as last year! This is inexcusable given the airport know exactly how many skiers and equipment is arriving, it is just penny pinching at the customers expense. I waited an hour for all my luggage to turn up but the most farcical situation was the oversized baggage collection. This consisted of a single baggage handler coming in and out of a door with one set of skis/ pushchair etc at a time and dumping it in a marked square on the floor and then disappearing back through the door. Eventually he had the bright idea of propping the door open with an old cable drum, hi etc indeed!! When asked by another passenger when their skis could be expected he replied "you need to be more patient" and went back behind the doors. My skis eventually turned up over an hour and a half after my suitcase. Unbelievable lack of customer service and no staff on the passenger side to get any information from. They don't seem to have learned anything from their previous poor customer service incidents and their performance was far below that expected from a large International airport. If you're skiing/ golfing/ surfing etc and take your own equipment leave lots and lots of extra time for baggage collection and warn your taxi!
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"not enough seating"

Verified Review | I found the entrance hall was good but the waiting area was too small, not enough seating for non busy time being January, I assume it would be horrendous during the summer. Only 2 places to buy food, Pret A Manger and the other in the opposite corner. Totally ridiculous for a pleasant journey. Signage to say how far the gate is for anyone who has problems walking. Not enough space to walk around without bumping into someone.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"finishes are cheap and cheerful"

Little improvement at baggage reclaim. Menzies have unloaded only half the plane! We were through customs in 10mins (not bad for Sunday) and have been waiting an hour for the bags to arrive. They must be taking a lunch break! The interior finishes are generally cheap and cheerful (melamine and lino) and not the quality you expect at an international airport, especially one handling so many passengers.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"tired and pretty gross experience"

(Japan)

Verified Review | First time using London Gatwick airport and I'm afraid the experience was a bit of a poor one. Security screening staff were totally uninterested in actually helping passengers and instead were visibly annoyed when I asked for a tray to put my jacket and bag into. When I found my way to the departure lounge it seemed more like a grimy holding pen than any kind of waiting area with very few seats available and large numbers of people just milling around the multitude of shops with nowhere to go. The signage for the gates from the departure lounge area is incredibly unclear and I only noticed where I was supposed to be going almost by mistake. In keeping with the general grime and grubbiness of the waiting space I was struck by the fact that the floor of my departure gate was a mosaic of gum on the carpet and I don't think I've ever noticed cobwebs on windows at an airport anywhere else in the world before. All in all a very tired and pretty gross experience.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"main concern is the cleanliness"

Smooth check in and security at London Gatwick. And that's the end of positives. Main concern is the cleanliness of departure lounge and gates. Black cobwebs and dust around vents in departure lounge. Thick dust in gateroom. Stairs down to apron level to get to the plane filthy. Upon arrival started counting black spots of chewing gum on stairs to baggage hall -10 steps - 20 chewing gums. How they want to build a new runway, if they can't manage what they have?
Date VisitOctober 2016

"signage is very poor"

(Thailand)

Gatwick has the most unpleasant, surly looking, awkward Customs and Border Control staff in the World. The signage is very poor, the rail station is always bedlam with just a third of the ticket counters open, even at very busy times of the day. The toilets are unclean and smelly. They never open enough Passport Control desks which leads to long queues on Arrival. One of the multi-storey car parks at North Terminal has been closed for repair for over a year, yet the workmen seem to not work weekends to get the job finished. Outside and on the approach to the other car park they have misleading and late road signs and markings, hence leading to confusion, so they employ someone to haplessly stand there in a high-vis jacket waving his arms around and confusing everyone further. And they want to build a second runway, what a nerve!
Date VisitNovember 2016

"baggage trolly locked away"

Coming in to London Gatwick from another country - we exchanged money but exchange places do not give change, just notes. You come off of a long flight, body aching because of lack of room to wait for baggage. However, when you go to get a baggage trolly they are all locked away and you have to deposit a £1 coin. If exchange places don't give out change, customers are forced to lug around huge heavy suitcases while carrying children.

"horrible airport"

Verified Review | Horrible airport. No family counter/assistance for people with babies and infants, disabled. Totally unorganized, scattered all over, not arranged professionally like Heathrow. Home office staff and customer service officers couldn't care less for customers needing assistance.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"we were impressed with Gatwick"

Verified Review | I wouldn't normally have bothered reviewing Gatwick, we use it so often, but this time, I felt I should. This is because on our return to the UK we were very pleasantly surprised. We'd been travelling 23 hours and frankly, we were stretched out! Gatwick has only added grief to those feelings in the past. We had arrived with Emirates at dawn, and their part of the airport is a bit of a way out but the travellators made that easy. Getting through passport control was very swift and no queues. I'll say that again. No queues. There were plenty of passport reading machines so we went straight through. Bearing in mind we were on a roll, who would expect the bags to be on the conveyors before we got their? But they were. Customs were eying everyone up, bit we slipped thought there and low and behold, the bus terminal was just outside for the long stay. And there was the bus. All in all, hope this wasn't just a fluke but I have to say, for the first time, we were impressed with Gatwick.