London Gatwick Airport

"Gatwick is greatly improved"

Not Verified | Did online check in and "twilight bay check" the previous evening and stayed at a nearby hotel, which was all fine. Problems started the next day with absolute chaos in Security, which I attribute to general incompetence by management and staff, in that not enough staff were deployed to deal with the volume of passengers. The staff that were deployed only appeared to have English as a second language which made communication in a very noisy, acoustically poor area extremely difficult, made even more difficult by staff issuing contradictory instructions, shouting over each other and at Passengers (who, let's not forget, ultimately pay their wages). A serious, in depth review needs to happen up to, and including, some staff members employment status. Apart from the above, Gatwick is greatly improved, but a few more landslide eating places in the North Terminal would be ggod!
Date VisitNovember 2017

London Gatwick Airport customer review

Not Verified | Everything at the airport was fine as we had checked in online and checked in our baggage the night before. On the morning of departure, security was a shambles. The staff were all talking over each other, countermaning instructions to passengers and generally causing a state of anxiety. Please remember that although staff are there everyday and know what the process is, it’s unlikely that passengers are so familiar. I’m all in favour if enhanced security, but the area delegated is too small for the number of staff and passengers and this leads to passengers being parted from bags and separation of grey boxes so it becomes harder to keep up with what’s happening which adds to the distress. A grown up at the airport would benefit from standing and watching the process to see what is actually happening as opposed to what they think is happening. After security the black sparkly path leads through the duty free, all quite unpleasant, loud and garish and so immediately after the security stress cannot be good for sales. Food outlets in the north terminal are over crowded and shabby. Oh dear what message are we giving overseas visitors. Based on my experience And I’m a Brit...I’d prefer never to travel by plane ever again.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"a stressful experience"

Unverified | Had a stressful experience with easyJet regarding my hand luggage I had left on the plane! A safety officer working for Menzies helped me retrieve my bag back that I had left on the flight, he went above and beyond to help me retrieve it back before I boarded my connecting flight. Great asset to the Menzies company and a very helpful member of staff at Gatwick airport which is sometimes hard to come across! Otherwise I would've had to of waited a week while it was held in the forgotten/lost property offices.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Gatwick is to be avoided"

Verified Review | I arrived on WestJet 001 on October 11th. The airplane was a few minutes early but no marshaller available as I remember from my days operating in to the London airports as a pilot. Nothing new. Then nobody to operate the single jetway. When staff arrived it took three dashes up and down the jetway before he was able to make it work? Then the survival trek to immigration and a 1hr wait in the long lines. I am semi-disabled yet there were no carts at the head of the jetway. I saw one passing and he refused to stop although only carrying one person. On the back it said that the electric cart had to be booked 48hrs in advance. Where the hell did they get that idea from or don't any of the management travel? At Canadian and US airports "comfortable", golf carts not plastic boxes, run around the terminals all the time and are normally waiting for any long haul flight. At immigration, once I got to the desk, I found a very pleasant and charming young lady who was most helpful. That young lady was the best part of the trip other than going home again! Then to fight the hoards to get out and find a rent car? The rental car company was the usual rip-off as normal at any UK airport. Would not extend my booking at all but insisted on a new reservation at 6 times the original rate! Now for leaving! Ride the Conga Line through the expensive and hot duty free. What a joke. Then find a seat and try and read the departures board. Who invented those things? I had just passed my First Class pilot medical yet had trouble reading them. Finally the flight was called, WestJet 002, October 24th, to gate 54. On arrival I found a long line already there and no seats outside of the boarding area where agents were in place but not letting people in. I finally asked one agent who was passing what about disabled people and she allowed a few in. Then to the boarding process! No announcement for families with kids, old folk and disabled, just open a barrier and let the hoard rush down the ramp. The good thing about this trip was the arrival in Calgary with pleasant people, electric carts etc. Gatwick is to be avoided and my last trip to Heathrow was a bad.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"really puts Britain to shame"

Verified Review | This airport is an abomination. I checked our stroller at the gate from my departure destination but learned upon arrival, infant items checked at the gate are brought to the main luggage area. However, “courtesy prams” are provided. There were no prams anywhere near our gate. When I finally found some, they were metallic seats without any kind of buckle or safety equipment and totally unsuitable for infants. They could be used for a child perhaps age 3 or older – i.e. the kinds who can walk and don’t need the pram! Ironally the prams have a flag on them that says “Family Friendly Gatwick”. Traveling by myself, I had to carry the checked in baggage and my baby for a long walk to Customs, wait in a horrendous lineup through Customs, and then wait in the luggage area before finally retrieving our stroller, which was had bits loose that had separated and were scattered around different parts of the baggage area (literally, at different carousels). Before Customs, we went into the baby change room only to find a filthy toilet and sink – and no baby change table. It appeared to have been removed from the wall. It’s hard to believe this is an airport in a developed country. It really puts Britain to shame, and was a terrible first impression of London.

"rudest security staff"

Unverified | This must have the rudest security staff of any airport in the world. They shout at you like barrow boys and please or thank you unheard of. These staff need some training in people management. There used to be a board the other side of security to write your comments on I guess it's full up.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"this airport needs to be demolished"

Verified Review | Even by normal airport standards, Gatwick manages to lower the bar and keep it there. From the 45-minute wait for passport clearance to the noisy, crushing circus of departure, this airport needs to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up. Our latest experience with the North terminal almost makes me swear off flying forever. We are forced by the airlines and the airport to arrive three hours before a flight, which usually means trying to find a place to sit and maybe have a meal of some kind. The restaurant has about 1 seat available for every 3 patrons. Trying to squeeze through the masses and find somewhere to sit is something I expect at a German beer hall, but not at a major airport. There is only one lift available to the public to get to the mezzanine/restaurant level, and when we were last there it was out of order, meaning we had to schlep our luggage up the stairs. Every restaurant is cramped with seating that is too close to accommodate the throngs of people and baggage. The noise is deafening. But our airline of choice, Wesjet, only flies to Gatwick, so I guess we're stuck.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"an uncomfortable experience"

Unverified | The long term car park entry was fine, the bus ride to the south terminal worked fine, the check in for Thomas Cook Airlines was open at 4 am and that worked ok. There were no hold ups through security etc. Then it's like entering a madhouse, having to go through duty free, which is a misnomer, there were no daily papers available at WH Smiths and they are still pulling the VAT fiddle about seeing your boarding card, I thought they were going to stop that. They didn't get my boarding card but their lack of staff is a nightmare. The toilets had queues and in the gents there was a lack of toilet paper and almost no hand washing soap. The food is expensive and very little choice, there was a severe lack of seating, altogether an uncomfortable experience, plus being stuck on the plane whilst it waited 40 mins to take off didn't help you relax. Some things you can't do much about, but that fiddle by Smiths on the VAT should be stopped.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"deteriorating punctuality"

Unverified | Gatwick is operating beyond capacity and without a second runway, it will get worse. My flight from Kefalonia in July was delayed by congestion at Gatwick, my wife's return from Rhodes today - what you would think was a quiet October weekend - has been delayed for the same reason. Anecdotally, others have said the same thing. In fairness to Gatwick, outgoing security efficiency has improved in my experience over the past few years and one rarely has to wait more than five minutes to get through. Border Control on return is a different matter and baggage reclaim has a justifiable reputation for its tardiness. But then generally it takes ages to get through Border Control so maybe they figure what's the rush? After we leave the EU, goodness knows what a muddle the arrival process will be. You can be certain there will be teething problems. Probably caused by introducing new processes over an Easter weekend when the place is at its busiest. Most UK airports are the embodiment of Rip off Britain. No opportunity to pick your pocket is wasted from parking charges that would make a footpad blush, to funnelling you through horrible duty free malls and having nowhere quiet to sit, the experience is rarely serene. Gatwick is no exception, I can put up with that but not Gatwick's deteriorating punctuality and seemingly indifferent attitude to speeding up the arrivals process and getting out of the place as soon as possible.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"whole issue is and was a total disgrace"

Verified Review | We arrived from international flight for domestic flight with Aer Lingus. We had only 1 hour to get through passport / security control and across to south terminal. When we got to the gate we were advised gate was closed and flight had left. We asked what to do and were advised we would need to return to north terminal to the ticket desk. As my partner is disabled we requested assistance, after 1 hour no one arrived we requested several times and were advised someone was on their way. On the final request we were advised to flag down a buggy ourselves! Great service! We got our way back to the 'Airline Desk' and again explained our situation and were advised we would need to go back to check in area. We again requested assistance to a lady and she said she would arrange it (my partner uses 2 crutches), same again sat for ages and kept being told someone was on their way. Eventually after another hour a lady arrived and an older gentlemen came over and told us to follow this lady, we again enquiried if assistance was coming and the guy stated no, no one had been called as he was not aware we needed assistance! He was so rude, ignorant and for the fact we were pressed for time I would've addressed the issue with him. In the end we had to walk for a further 20 mins to the desk, the lady at Aer Lingus was very nice and checked in all our bags and gave us our new boarding passes. She was aware of our situation and had been waiting on us arriving. The staff who man this 'Airline Desk' should be ashamed of themselves for their actions. I've complained to Gatwick but they cannot give me any contact details for this Airline desk or who is in charge of it. This whole issue is and was a total disgrace.
Date VisitSeptember 2017