London Gatwick Airport

"announced only 5 minutes before gate closing"

(Malta)

Not Verified | Waiting in departure for easyJet flight to Malta, the departure gate number was announced only 5 minutes before gate closing! We had to walk 20 minutes from departure lounge to the gate! We have complained to easyJet, and they phoned me back, and they promised to inform Gatwick, accordingly. I have complained to Gatwick airport myself, two times, and never got an acknowledgment, lest a reply! Unfortunately, Gatwick is the nearest airport to the south of UK, but, if this abuse persists, I will have to inform the competent authorities! If you can avoid Gatwick.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"A shameful shambles"

Trip Verified | A couple of weeks ago I had the misfortune to have to fly out of Gatwick’s North Terminal. On arrival, like in all airports in the world (at least the ones I have visited), I tried to locate a departures board. Only to be told that there were none of these in the main hall and the only ones available were located after the security point! Quite a unique feature, ensuring that one cannot check one’s flight and its status till one is trapped in the departures area! On my return on Sunday, 26 November, on flight EZY8088 from Athens, the staff member meeting the flight, standing at the bottom of the plane steps pointed to a green painted path on the tarmac and told us to follow this to the arrivals hall: this is the only airport these days, in my experience, where passengers have to walk on the tarmac in all weathers to access the arrivals hall, everywhere else there are at least buses to take them there. On arrival to the gate, we had to negotiate a number of flights of stairs unaided. This was very difficult for some rather frail passengers with luggage. There was, of course, no staff around to offer assistance or even ask for anything. When we got to the landing, we found the swing doors there (Gate 49) locked! This resulted in a crush and panic, as more and more passengers were entering this confined space with no exit. A fellow passenger used the emergency phone located there to ask for help. He was told to stay there (!) and that someone would be on their way to unlock the gates. No one arrived and, about 10 minutes later, passengers smashed the emergency release button and eventually unlocked the gates. A shameful shambles at a supposedly major international airport!
Date VisitNovember 2017

"Gatwick is greatly improved"

Not Verified | Did online check in and "twilight bay check" the previous evening and stayed at a nearby hotel, which was all fine. Problems started the next day with absolute chaos in Security, which I attribute to general incompetence by management and staff, in that not enough staff were deployed to deal with the volume of passengers. The staff that were deployed only appeared to have English as a second language which made communication in a very noisy, acoustically poor area extremely difficult, made even more difficult by staff issuing contradictory instructions, shouting over each other and at Passengers (who, let's not forget, ultimately pay their wages). A serious, in depth review needs to happen up to, and including, some staff members employment status. Apart from the above, Gatwick is greatly improved, but a few more landslide eating places in the North Terminal would be ggod!

London Gatwick Airport customer review

Not Verified | Everything at the airport was fine as we had checked in online and checked in our baggage the night before. On the morning of departure, security was a shambles. The staff were all talking over each other, countermaning instructions to passengers and generally causing a state of anxiety. Please remember that although staff are there everyday and know what the process is, it’s unlikely that passengers are so familiar. I’m all in favour if enhanced security, but the area delegated is too small for the number of staff and passengers and this leads to passengers being parted from bags and separation of grey boxes so it becomes harder to keep up with what’s happening which adds to the distress. A grown up at the airport would benefit from standing and watching the process to see what is actually happening as opposed to what they think is happening. After security the black sparkly path leads through the duty free, all quite unpleasant, loud and garish and so immediately after the security stress cannot be good for sales. Food outlets in the north terminal are over crowded and shabby. Oh dear what message are we giving overseas visitors. Based on my experience And I’m a Brit...I’d prefer never to travel by plane ever again.

"a stressful experience"

Unverified | Had a stressful experience with easyJet regarding my hand luggage I had left on the plane! A safety officer working for Menzies helped me retrieve my bag back that I had left on the flight, he went above and beyond to help me retrieve it back before I boarded my connecting flight. Great asset to the Menzies company and a very helpful member of staff at Gatwick airport which is sometimes hard to come across! Otherwise I would've had to of waited a week while it was held in the forgotten/lost property offices.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Gatwick is to be avoided"

Verified Review | I arrived on WestJet 001 on October 11th. The airplane was a few minutes early but no marshaller available as I remember from my days operating in to the London airports as a pilot. Nothing new. Then nobody to operate the single jetway. When staff arrived it took three dashes up and down the jetway before he was able to make it work? Then the survival trek to immigration and a 1hr wait in the long lines. I am semi-disabled yet there were no carts at the head of the jetway. I saw one passing and he refused to stop although only carrying one person. On the back it said that the electric cart had to be booked 48hrs in advance. Where the hell did they get that idea from or don't any of the management travel? At Canadian and US airports "comfortable", golf carts not plastic boxes, run around the terminals all the time and are normally waiting for any long haul flight. At immigration, once I got to the desk, I found a very pleasant and charming young lady who was most helpful. That young lady was the best part of the trip other than going home again! Then to fight the hoards to get out and find a rent car? The rental car company was the usual rip-off as normal at any UK airport. Would not extend my booking at all but insisted on a new reservation at 6 times the original rate! Now for leaving! Ride the Conga Line through the expensive and hot duty free. What a joke. Then find a seat and try and read the departures board. Who invented those things? I had just passed my First Class pilot medical yet had trouble reading them. Finally the flight was called, WestJet 002, October 24th, to gate 54. On arrival I found a long line already there and no seats outside of the boarding area where agents were in place but not letting people in. I finally asked one agent who was passing what about disabled people and she allowed a few in. Then to the boarding process! No announcement for families with kids, old folk and disabled, just open a barrier and let the hoard rush down the ramp. The good thing about this trip was the arrival in Calgary with pleasant people, electric carts etc. Gatwick is to be avoided and my last trip to Heathrow was a bad.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"really puts Britain to shame"

Verified Review | This airport is an abomination. I checked our stroller at the gate from my departure destination but learned upon arrival, infant items checked at the gate are brought to the main luggage area. However, “courtesy prams” are provided. There were no prams anywhere near our gate. When I finally found some, they were metallic seats without any kind of buckle or safety equipment and totally unsuitable for infants. They could be used for a child perhaps age 3 or older – i.e. the kinds who can walk and don’t need the pram! Ironally the prams have a flag on them that says “Family Friendly Gatwick”. Traveling by myself, I had to carry the checked in baggage and my baby for a long walk to Customs, wait in a horrendous lineup through Customs, and then wait in the luggage area before finally retrieving our stroller, which was had bits loose that had separated and were scattered around different parts of the baggage area (literally, at different carousels). Before Customs, we went into the baby change room only to find a filthy toilet and sink – and no baby change table. It appeared to have been removed from the wall. It’s hard to believe this is an airport in a developed country. It really puts Britain to shame, and was a terrible first impression of London.

"rudest security staff"

Unverified | This must have the rudest security staff of any airport in the world. They shout at you like barrow boys and please or thank you unheard of. These staff need some training in people management. There used to be a board the other side of security to write your comments on I guess it's full up.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"this airport needs to be demolished"

Verified Review | Even by normal airport standards, Gatwick manages to lower the bar and keep it there. From the 45-minute wait for passport clearance to the noisy, crushing circus of departure, this airport needs to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up. Our latest experience with the North terminal almost makes me swear off flying forever. We are forced by the airlines and the airport to arrive three hours before a flight, which usually means trying to find a place to sit and maybe have a meal of some kind. The restaurant has about 1 seat available for every 3 patrons. Trying to squeeze through the masses and find somewhere to sit is something I expect at a German beer hall, but not at a major airport. There is only one lift available to the public to get to the mezzanine/restaurant level, and when we were last there it was out of order, meaning we had to schlep our luggage up the stairs. Every restaurant is cramped with seating that is too close to accommodate the throngs of people and baggage. The noise is deafening. But our airline of choice, Wesjet, only flies to Gatwick, so I guess we're stuck.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"an uncomfortable experience"

Unverified | The long term car park entry was fine, the bus ride to the south terminal worked fine, the check in for Thomas Cook Airlines was open at 4 am and that worked ok. There were no hold ups through security etc. Then it's like entering a madhouse, having to go through duty free, which is a misnomer, there were no daily papers available at WH Smiths and they are still pulling the VAT fiddle about seeing your boarding card, I thought they were going to stop that. They didn't get my boarding card but their lack of staff is a nightmare. The toilets had queues and in the gents there was a lack of toilet paper and almost no hand washing soap. The food is expensive and very little choice, there was a severe lack of seating, altogether an uncomfortable experience, plus being stuck on the plane whilst it waited 40 mins to take off didn't help you relax. Some things you can't do much about, but that fiddle by Smiths on the VAT should be stopped.
Date VisitSeptember 2017