London Gatwick Airport

"Very decrepit and tatty"

Not Verified | Very decrepit and tatty. Service at the border was very slow and officious (the electronic border gates were not working again). I was unpleasantly surprised to see that the luggage trolleys required a £1 deposit. Unfortunately the single change machine was out of order. The WiFi didn't work. All in all, a very poor level of customer experience. Someone senior should grip this urgently or Gatwick will continue to be of secondary importance to Heathrow as well as a poor reflection on UK Plc.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Don't enjoy departing through Gatwick"

Not Verified | Found the staff at security rude. I waved my Pacemaker card at a staff member as I cannot go through the normal channels. She looked at me and said 'Yeah whats that'! Our gate was called. Gate 22. It was sweltering in the departure area and no air conditioning in the hottest summer since 1976! I thought I would pass out. Don't enjoy departing through Gatwick!
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Gatwick is not family friendly"

Not Verified | Travelling with kids during start of summer holidays. Was directed to use family assisted check in. They only had 1 attendant. One Check point open considering most people were travelling were families. Family members travelling with me, who used normal check in, went through within 20 mins or so. They managed to get through, eat and rest while we were still in the queue with no movement. One person at the gate checking passport and boarding cards with no urgency. Taking his time casually whilst us pssengers were panicking whether we would make it to our gates on time. Almost every bag being scanned were searched by 3 attendees or so. Creams, food, milk being tested. Gatwick is not family friendly. I would rather pay extra and use Heathrow. Being July, busiest family holiday time, common sense to have more staff to assist the family and special need line. Travelling with kids is challenging enough. Though we arrived at airport way in advance of 3 hours we still had to run for the gates with kids pushchairs and bags at 6am in the morning. This should not be happening at a UK Airport. So disappointing.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"only use it because I have to"

Not Verified | The only good thing that I can say about this airport is the help and assistance from the staff who provide the service "special assistance" especially the lady who met us on our return and who had only been on buggy duty for 4 days. she could not have been more helpful and is a credit to the assistance team. As for the rest of the airport I only use it because I have to, if there was an alternative I would use it and avoid Gatwick at all costs.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"people bumping into each other"

Trip Verified | Overcrowded with people bumping into each other, feels like an American mall on a Saturday only with more shops. This was my first and will be last experience of the S terminal, in comparison with T5 at LHR, like comparing a Butlins holiday resort with an overwater villa in the Maldives. Security was efficient and friendly however gate staff did not have the tools to effect a good job. Long delay leading to cancellation with little to no communication given to customers. No pro active refreshments or information on EU rights was visible nor did staff have any clue as to what customers were entitled to.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"will avoid Gatwick at all costs"

Not Verified | While going through security our bags were pushed to the back and searched. The man at airport security was rude and screamed at my 12 year old. He took all our stuff out of our bags, threw it around then dumped it back in the tray all scattered in a mess and told us to leave. There was in fact no reason our bags did not pass security, but this often happens and was not the issue, the staff are rude and I will avoid Gatwick at all costs.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"staff are rude and awkward"

Not Verified | We all realise that airport security and immigration staff have an important job to do, but the staff at Gatwick are the most rude and awkward in the World. They are also completely disorganised, and they then seem to actually take great pleasure from stressing out people who are already stressed before flying. They have a horrible attitude and as such I will try to avoid Gatwick forever more. Gatwick is also very dirty, especially the toilets. Shameful!

"prompt and courteous"

Trip Verified | We flew BA Club Europe to/from Faro, the experience could not have been more pleasant. Asked for and received 'Level 1' assistance which was prompt and courteous, (bit difficult on the return as the aircraft did not park on an air-bridge, but handled well). Have used Gatwick several times recently and since BA moved to the South Terminal always had a stress-free experience.

"would not recommend"

Trip Verified | We came in to Gatwick and had an 8 hour layover before our EasyJet flight took off. We could not check our bags into EasyJet until 3 hours prior to take off and so had to stay in the north terminal with no chairs, benches, or stores with our luggage. The kind workers at the Nicholas Culpepper Restaurant felt for us and let us use their upstairs area to sit. However this is truly sad that the airport has not been aware of this and provide at least some seating. I would not recommend this to travelers in the future.
Date VisitJune 2018

"pleasantly surprised at the efficiency"

Trip Verified | We were pleasantly surprised at the efficiency of this airport. The staff were very friendly, even joking around with us. Really put us at ease as flying can be an anxious experience as it is. We were treated like humans not numbers or cattle. The US customs is the exact opposite. The US customs treat you like a prisoner or a criminal when passing thru. No smiles and no human tendencies. Anyway, Gatwick customs folk get an A from us. We look forward to a stop by to say hello on our way back to Europe. They have a very quick and organized system with lots of staff available to keep our flights safe. The airport in general was very clean and offered easy access to all areas with clear direction.The layout of the airport was very good. Food and shopping offered here was amazing! Duty free staff as well A+ Good job Gatwick!
Date VisitMay 2018