London City Airport

"appalling security staff and service"

Verified Review | Consistently appalling security staff and service. I travel from City several times per month. On each occasion the security experience is poor, inconsistent in application of TSA rules, preferring to make up what suits them on the day. Staff are rude or bolshy or worse, downright condescending. As a key business gateway for London, this airport operator ought to be doing more for customer service given the airport infrastructure itself is so lacking.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"very dissatisfied with the service"

Verified Review | Horrible security staff service. Bag was flagged for checking by one colleague and I was told the search would be of the electronic item. Whilst she left to get a tray her colleague came and started a new search on my bag. Taking individual contents out of my bag without explaining the reason or type of check. All individual items were taken out of the bag including under garments and toiletries in front of all those in the airport to see. I was not offered a private room to do this or to pack my belongings until I asked for her manager. Manager was helpful in assisting me with a private room to pack my items. However I wish this happened before I was searched. Overall very dissatisfied with the service received at this airport.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"a total lack of Customer Service"

Verified Review | Beware of this airport, the airport has gone downhill since Menzies Aviation have got their foot under the door and become the ground handling agents for BA Cityflyer. On arrival there was a total lack of Customer Service and the staff seemed to of been trained at either Luton or Stansted. When it comes to lost bags they can't give a dam and the companies so called Duty Manager was less than useless. However, saying that the airport apart from everything that Menzies does not touch is the same, Security is first class and the staff are happy in their job. The Cafes sell a first class sections of wares and the and a good range of drinks and food. Borders controls are first class with every e gates open and also had 4 manned gates open, But yet again the ground handling agents let the airport down.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Too many people to move around quickly"

Verified Review | Everything seems to run smoothly, despite the overcrowding at busy times. I've always been able to find somewhere to eat and somewhere else to sit, even at the busiest times. Too many people to move around quickly though. Flight delays were not publicised very well - I knew from another website my flight would be late, but the departures board was not updated until very late, and then only by a few minutes rather than the true time. Airport prices for food/drink. Getting the DLR to the airport and walking straight to check-in is really nice. Mostly security is good, but, quite randomly, I have been asked to remove my laptop from a slim protective case which has never happened at dozens of other airports. Also got picky about a small pair of tweezers, which involved waiting 10 minutes for a swab test.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"there was no sign of the assistance"

Unverified | I am disabled and had booked assistance, and had it confirmed I was arriving on Swiss LX454 on 22 June at 19.35 hrs. On arrival there was no sign of the assistance. The on board crew phoned the ground staff to be told they knew nothing about it, I was then requested to go down the plane steps (very difficult) and walk across to the terminal (which left me in a bit of a state). At the terminal I was given somewhere to sit. Assistance came approx. 20 mins later protesting that they knew nothing of the request. I say they because they actually brought two wheelchairs. Whilst travelling to the exit we were constantly told we should have booked. I did get quite upset because I knew we had. We love travelling to and from city but this incident has blotted their copy book badly.
Date VisitJune 2017

"totally overcrowded"

Verified Review | London City departure lounge is a joke! Totally overcrowded with not enough seats to wait for your flight specially if your flight is very late. The options for food are non-existent and the pub where you can seat and order a meal is really poor and overpriced. They should really work to improve the passenger experience.
Date VisitJune 2017

"inconsistent in applying the rules"

Verified Review | The security staff are unprofessional, rude and inconsistent in applying the rules. Worst in all the airports I have used and I have at least 200k air miles a year for the last 10 years. Things don't seem to change over the years either. I simply will not use this airport anymore despite its convenient location for business travel.
Date VisitMay 2017

"my preferred airport of choice"

Verified Review | I have recently used the airport again and it is becoming my preferred airport of choice. The airport is undergoing a rebuild/refurbishment of the terminal area. And on this trip I was able to experience the new departure area. There is now a few new food outlets on the way to gates 3 onwards which is taking the pressure off the main food and shopping area and seems to becoming the area of choice for regular users who second guess the departure gate. The Bag drops open 2 hours before departure for some airlines which is plenty of time to get though security etc. The airport security again was fast, professional and polite, maybe the flyers who complain about the staff should think they have a thankless task and please and thank you is a two way expectation. I forgot to remove my watch which is common mistake anyone can made. I was expecting to be hauled over the coals for it but I just said sorry I left my watch on by mistake and treated the staff member with politeness, I was still though security in 10 minutes all four lanes were open and staffed. The new departure gates are better and well designed once though you are held in a waiting area which is a short walk to the waiting aircraft. Arrival due to congestion on the stands and the early arrival of our flight we were parked on a distant stand which meant a bus ride to the arrival gate. The bus was already on the stand when we parked and the journey to the arrival gate was quick. The arrival hall was busy as it was apparent that we were not the only flight to arrive early and there were queues at the non EU passport control and a small one for the non chip passport control all 5 chip passport gates were working. Baggage reclaim was prefect has I walked towards the belt the case was in front of me. and the trip from arrival to DLR took 15 minutes to complete.
Date VisitApril 2017

"plenty of seating and places to plug in"

Verified Review | London City airport is very small and does what it can given size and space limitations. It unfortunately didn't have a lounge I was able to access. It does have a great view of the runway and from almost anywhere you can watch planes land and take-off. There's plenty of seating and places to plug in. I wasn't happy that I had to exit the airport and go through security again for a transfer - this would be potentially very stressful for a tight connection on a busy day. It might be a good airport if you live close to it in London - but for a transfer point, I would choose Heathrow for the space and lounge options.
Date VisitApril 2017

"the rudest security staff"

Verified Review | The rudest security staff ever and the worst organization of security. Avoid the airport. Security staff member held up the line until I sealed my plastic bag. Exactly what difference does it make, apart from maybe making him feel important. They have 4 security lines, but only ever 2 open. What are the other two for?
Date VisitMarch 2017