Lisbon Airport

"a traveller's nightmare"

Trip Verified | Lisbon airport is a traveller's nightmare. Very stressful exit immigration queues. As a priority frequent traveller (Star Alliance Senator Gold) I've never had this terrible an experience. Came to the airport 1.5 hours before the flight and went through fast track security only to find myself behind 400 people at immigration in front of me. No priority for business passengers. No commone sense to let passengers with flights boarding through. Rude and threatening officials when you try to explain the situation to them. Very bad for Portugal's image. I missed my flight and then was told to go back out through immigration again and sort it out with customer service because they don't have a desk on the airside of the airport - unbelievable! Those queues would have taken another 2 hours to navigate. I finall paid £431 and bought a ticket on BA. Never flying TAP again and hopefully never have to come to Portugal again.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"a very agitating experience"

Verified Review | I have never waited in so many lines at any airport in my life. A line to check in, a line to deposit an oversized bag, a line to show your VAT merchandise that you want to declare for a VAT refund, a line to get the VAT refund, security check. By then, you'd think you're home free, right? Do some duty free shopping, go to the airport lounge (if you're lucky enough to get a pass into the ANA lounge here, it's actually really good!). But no, you leave the shopping area or lounge, and you come across a huge serpentine line to present your passport. Never had that before. There were people in the line who were about to miss their plane because they thought 30+ minutes would be enough after security. It's a very agitating experience because the place is packed and you do actually wonder if you will get through it and get to your gate in time. The airline personnel at baggage check in did not mention this at all.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"unhappy with my experience"

Unverified | I travelled to many places in Europe and this has been by far the worst airport I arrived in. First of all, there were no signs leading us anywhere! Many people on our same connecting flight were directed (unclearly) by airport staff to our location. Not to mention we were already 10 minutes late for our next flight. I was randomly selected for secondary screening, which is completely fine. However, it was the staff who did my screening that I found terrible. They rudely went through my luggage, tossing things carelessly onto the table. Someone had to hold up my things to keep them from falling on the ground. I was very unhappy with my experience and Portugal will never see me again.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"found things very quiet"

Unverified | Arrived in Lisbon on October 15th, was a Sunday so found things very quiet. Easyjet into Terminal 1, quickly disembarked the plane and taken by bus to Terminal 2 to proceed through border control about 30 mins and within 10 minutes at baggage carousel suitcases were delivered. This was not what I expected after reading all the horror stories of others experiences at Lisbon airport. Departure was a bit more intense from Terminal 2 no problem getting as far to departure lounge due to the fact that the bag drop is constantly opened for Easyjet flights and pretty much straight through security checks. Once the gate number is announced you have to go through passport control again to leave the country and it looks like it is only UK flights that are being asked to through this procedure. It was very busy and a long queue as there were 3 planes leaving for the UK all within 30 minutes. During a very busy summer period this may very well be a problem.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"nothing compares to this"

Unverified | My girlfriend has been waiting in passport control for almost three hours because she isn't from the European Union. This is the worst thing I have ever heard of. They don't have enough passport booths open and have made elderly people and children wait for well over two and a half hours. People are desperate for the toilet and children are crying. We have been to many airports around the world and nothing compares to this. The worst airport.

"definitely not friendly"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | This airport is definitely not friendly (and I am Portuguese). Arriving from Munich with + 1 hour of delay. When we arrive the gate is occupied. So an additional wait. Finally around 11pm we park. Where we parked is almost in the last parking position far from the airport. We had to wait for 2 buses to take all passengers together to the terminal. From that door you need to use an escalator and walk all the way back past all shops, everything to go down and get our bags which after all this time are there of course. When I get my bag it was 40 minutes after I landed in an empty airport. They only do this to TAP Flights, whenever I use another airline from or to Lisbon I never get this - why only with TAP?
Date VisitOctober 2017

"every time my flight is late"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Every time my flight is late in this airport. I have been living here for 4 months now, and so I have taken a lot of flights from and to Lisbon. There is always some delay. I think it is because the fast increase of tourists in the city, and the airport is not able to resist to this inredible influx of people.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"signs to follow were missing"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Arrived back from Frankfurt airport on Wednesday, but signs to follow to the baggage claim area were missing or misleading. I actually ended up in the departure lounge having tried to follow the signs. I also asked an airport worker who directed me to the lounge area. Is it really so difficult to erect clear signage?
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"airport has not managed to catch up"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | With the increase of tourism in Lisbon, the airport has not managed to catch up. It takes an average of 45-50 minutes between landing and the first suitcase coming out in the luggage area, and it took 30 minutes in a long and ever growing queue to get a taxi.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Overall a fairly unpleasant experience"

Verified Review | Terminal 2 - unpleasant experience. A totally overcrowded bus from terminal 1 to 2 - tolerable as only a few minutes, but very on top of each other. Check in - No worse than normal, manned desks only. Security - Area in basement with queues, not very efficient and lots of zig zagging whilst waiting, not helped by a lack of signage/prep area to avoid incorrect items in bags by people in front of you! Airside area - Over capacity with lack of seating. Once out of the World Duty free shop (forced to walk through) you are confronted with a wall of queues - all people having to stand due to lack of seating. No area to move around as gate waiting areas all grouped together in a narrow portion of the building. A few over-priced eating establishments with a lack of tables, you will want to stay at your table due to lack of other seating areas, which just hinders others being able to eat what they've paid for. Only around 3 options for food. If flying to non-Schengen areas - Mostly UK flights you need to clear passport control at the end of the terminal - queues again. Hearded into a confined area with lack of seating and more queues. Unpleasant overcrowded area with two flights waiting - 6 available gates with seating for 50 at best! Only amenities are toilets. Be warned - water vending machine out of order - when asking a staff member told it can not be fixed. Chocolate vending machine also out of order. Due to the inadequate options pre-passport checks and the threat of being in this area for 1.5hrs or so, a lack of water didn't seem acceptable. Once called for flight queued to the join queue to leave terminal and walk to plane. Overall a fairly unpleasant experience and based on horror stories of the queues at passport control this summer, everyone rushed to get to the non-Schengen gate area enclosure to find themselves stuck there. Other reviewers calling it a 'cattle shed' are not far wrong.
Date VisitAugust 2017