Leeds Bradford Airport

"Expensive and sub-standard"

Not Verified | Expensive and sub-standard. Staff are frequently rude and surly but I suppose I would be too if I had to spend my days in this bleak and unfriendly excuse for an airport. International? The enormity of this lie is just too great to go into here, if you are generous and fancy a giggle see for yourself.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"door open to a bitterly cold wind"

Trip Verified | Landed 16th Dec at 21.25. Flying with Jet2 - good flight, great airline, great staff. Cannot say same about LBA airport management. When our plane landed, we were placed in a queue for disembarkation. Had to wait 35 minutes in the aircraft - with the door open to a bitterly cold wind - because there was not a bus available to take us from the plane to arrivals. Ever tried to wheel a rolling suitcase across the carpark? If you have you will have likely ripped the suitcase because the tarmac is all broken up.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"customers are still treated with contempt"

Not Verified | Twenty years ago before the airport was sold, I was assured by the then management that the practice of making arriving passengers endure a lengthy trail to the terminal and having to climb stairs would end. Returning to Yorkshire and using LBA again it seems that customers are still treated with contempt. Boarding for departure entails a lengthy walk down a freezing "bus shelter". At "Arrivals" folks are unnecessarily forced up to the first floor to go through Border Control, only to be returned downstairs for baggage reclaim. On several occasions this last year, the solitary escalator to the first level has not been working. Also, the single escalator down to baggage reclaim often has been stopped. I know there used to be one lift up from the arrival door, but this does not appear to be in service either. I an making this strongest of protests about the airport management, not the airline, Jet2, (because as they continually explain - it is not their airport). Criticism for them though, as the highly rated company should do more to pressure on behalf of their customers. LBA is their base and flagship airport. Disgust at our treatment on 28th Dec 2017, returning from Alicante at approx 17.45 prompts this. The captain announced the outside temperature on landing at 1 degree C. We were bused from just about the furthest parking stand possible to the Arrivals entrance (more like the back door of a seedy club). No escalator working. Jet2 staff member but no airport staff. Queuing outside in the cold for our turns to climb the stairs and the stationary escalator, toting our cabin bags and and most with duty frees too, then queuing along for passport control was too much for one (not young) gentleman who had to embarrass himself by not being able to hold his bladder any longer. There are no toilets right from the aircraft until through passport control to baggage reclaim. Plus toilets are locked on the plane 20+ minutes before touchdown. Disgusting treatment. How to put it right? - One of two simple alternatives. 1) One of the nearest doors from the apron to the terminal building is opposite a (modern) escalator to the first floor corridor along to passport control. Buses could drop off there. This method has been used before, I know. Staff could direct passengers with tapes as are used all over the world. Or 2) Better still, move passport control downstairs - even into a temporary building like the many already there and make the flow through better - even provide toilets before the passport wait. Or does Border Control and Passport inspection enjoy lording it over us poor travelers by making us climb up to them?
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Rude, nasty and offhand"

Not Verified | I had cause to use Leeds Bradford airport twice an the 4th December 2017. Firstly arriving from Belfast with my 87 year old mother we had to wait well over half an hour for the ambi-lift, although it had been booked, confirmed and then re-confirmed on the day of travel but still it wasn’t ready. Apparently this is normal for Leeds, when I asked one of the special assistance staff why it took so long I was told they had two but the other was broken and there was no sign of it being repaired. I picked up my hire car, drove my mother home and returned to the airport. Going through security I always get a pat down, I’m used to it because I fly a lot. Without using the word please the surliest security agent told me to stretch out my arms, I whispered to her before she laid a hand on me that I had a stoma. Now when I mention this I am always asked if it hurts and would I prefer a private pat down? I always comply with whatever they want to do, but in Leeds when I told her about the stoma she just said “I don’t care, just spread out your arms”, in the nastiest way possible. After security I went and sat down to read my book but did a bit of people watching and not one member of the airport staff that I saw interact with any passenger did so with a pleasant expression. Rude, nasty and offhand would best describe them. Of all the airports I have ever been through in the past fifteen years when I have been flying frequently have I seen such an unpleasant workforce. I will do my utmost never to go there again.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"airport is such a rip-off"

Trip Verified | Do the management ever read these reviews? It would seem not as nothing improves. This airport is such a rip-off but I use it as it is close to my home. I am incensed at the 3 pound charge for drop-off, and then quite a long walk usually through the wind and rain to the terminal building. Surely it would be possible to provide a sheltered walkway? I have some difficulty walking but that doesn’t seem to be any way round this. Jet2 staff are all delightful and very helpful. The same cannot be said of the rest of the airport staff. Security staff seem particularly surly. There is hardly anywhere to put your possessions or to sit down and get dressed again. Even early in the morning lounges are all very crowded. Last year on arrival I walked very long way along the tunnel of shame which barely keep the weather off. The wait to get through immigration was absolutely horrendous. I wished I had used the wheelchair facility. This year I did request a wheelchair. The staff were very helpful but even so we had to be wheeled through an outside area which was very cold to get to the lift. The lift was not working! We then had to go outside again quite a long distance to the front of the terminal building. The lift was very small and would only take one wheelchair at a time. The only advantage was when we got to passports we went straight through as there was no queue and our luggage had been taken off the belt waiting for us. For heaven sake surely it’s not rocket science to improve the facilities? Never mind about shopping opportunities, just make it more convenient and pleasant for passengers.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"a lot of bad tempered travellers"

Not Verified | With only 2 flights leaving on 18 November 2017 in the early afternoon and the airport being quiet, I did not expect to wait 45 minutes queuing to get through security. Only 1 lane open and a lot of bad tempered travellers. This is I was told before travelling from Leeds common place at this airport, now I know it is true and will think very carefully before I choose to travel from here again. How the airport can class itself International I really don’t know, more like Toy Town and not good for the reputation of Leeds the city.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"the staff are very rude"

Unverified | How can anyone take this airport seriously, you could never call this a welcoming airport it is filthy and the staff are very rude and the whole experience is dreadful from departure to arrival back in UK. They must know how many flights are due in but you are left on the plane for nearly 30 mins whilst they sort out buses for you to go to terminal cos a few planes have come in close together. Then you eventually get on a dirty old bus with a miserable driver who sends everyone flying due to poor driving, and just as you think it cant get any worse you enter the arrivals hall, wow what a dump, filthy, dirty, unkempt and staff that need to have an injection of happiness. Nobody on customs but massive queues because only one exit tunnel working and that kept breaking down. For anyone coming into Leeds Bradford airport from another country must think goodness what have I come to see if this is what they airport looks like. Shame on this airport.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"continues to provide the worst service"

Verified Review | Leeds Airport continues to provide the worst service levels of any airport I use. Landed at 1.20pm on Ryanair flight. Usual express delivery to standstill. Then wait of 5 minutes for groundstaff to appear. Then 5 minutes with in the bus sitting outside the arrivals door. Then 20 min queue in passport control. I realise this is a good average at Leeds but why? I never wait that length of time anywhere else. And there was only one plane. Nothing in front of us. Exit airport at 2.05pm. Appalling service. When will they improve.

"it’s a disgusting joke"

Verified Review | 3rd world quality, 1st world prices. Insufficient space and capacity for the volume of use. Horrendous queues at every stage (even toilets) dirty, broken facilities and appalling service - staff not interested. And you pay top prices. Very long walk to find huge queues at border control. Nobody anticipated the volume of customers? Come on - sack the leadership and get some competent people in to run the place - it’s a disgusting joke! With the volume of use, extensive advertising, sky high prices it makes me wonder where all the money is going? Certainly not invested back into this decrepit, run down travellers nightmare! Would gladly go out of my way to avoid this place. Not customer centric in anyway.

"Absolute extortion"

Unverified | My mothers plane had landed so I entered the car park thinking the £3.00, 30 minute allowance would be sufficient to pick her up. There was delays in departures and took just over one hour to get through to exit. This cost £18 to exit the car park. Absolute extortion and I will not use this airport again.
Date VisitOctober 2017