Leeds Bradford Airport

"we waited an age to collect our Luggage"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | It is hard to understand how one Airport can be so badly run. On arrival we waited an age to collect our Luggage partly because there is no display screen to tell you which carousel the bags would be on. Each carousel advises you of which flight's bags will be on that carousel but people have to wander up and down to look at each carousel to find their flight. Our flight's bags were on a carousel round the back that was signed for BA. We were not on a BA flight. No one available to help. The busses are badly organised and on our bus the driver just couldn't be bothered. Why load people and their luggage in the middle of the bus when the luggage area is at the front and seating at the rear. It just causes an impasse in the middle where people enter, have to go forward to put their bags down, and then fight their way back against the people getting on to get to the seats at the rear. It's not rocket science. Load people at the front so they can drop their bags on their way to the rear where the seats are! On our return and because of previous problems with the bus connecting to the hire car centre I dropped my Wife off at the terminal with the bags. It cost me £3.00 just to drop her off! Security staff seem to have a sense that it is their job to be rude and surly. The Departure Lounge is overcrowded and short on seating areas. The only bright spot in a thoroughly unenjoyable experience was the check-in.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"rename from International to Regional"

Unverified | Having been delayed for 10 hours in Palma, Majorca we had the terrible experience of having to wait a further 2 hrs for our baggage claim, it was an utter shambles. Several flights arrived all at once and obviously the airport is incapable of coping with a large influx of arrivals, my advice is rename the airport from International to Regional. Instead of arriving home at 1.00pm we arrived at 1.00am the following day, to say I'm disgusted is an understatement, come on LBA get your act together you are better than this.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"I'd not venture there again"

Unverified | Looks like nothing's changed (at least for the better). Family tried talking me into returning to using this place. Previous reviews are my ammo for not doing so. Due to filth of the place, overcrowding and outright aggression from staff vowed I'd not venture there again. Have used several other airports instead and even the train to Europe twice. Has abused its position in Yorkshire for years. High time the CAA or somebody closed the dump.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"it was a pleasant experience"

Unverified | Flew out of Leeds Bradford airport on 17 Aug 2017. Arrived at the airport at 04.00 in good time for the 06.30 Jet2 Palma flight, as we didn't wish to get involved in long queues if time was tight. Jet2 check in swift and pleasant with no issues and minor queues. Security again was relatively quiet and minor queues, so got through quickly. We then went to the executive lounge (pre booked) only to find it didnt open until 05.00, so had a quick look around shops which were extremely limited in number and choice. We then found seats while we waited for lounge to open. Why does the lounge not open until 5am when flights checking in from 03.30? Whilst we were sat in the lounge we could see the departures filling up rapidly and when we went to board our plane departures was crowded with people sat on floor and cases due to no seating. Another small issue was no toilets in lounge so had to leave lounge and make your way through crowds to toilets at far end, queue for them and then make your way back through crowds, not ideal. All in all it was an expensive experience for the three of us for 45 minutes use. Usual queue at departure gate which moved swiftly and Jet2 staff smiling and cheerful despite being so busy. Swift boarding via the airbridge and an ontime departure. Our return from Palma was delayed to late inbound aircraft due to weather. On arrival back at Leeds we parked on stand 11 and was met by buses which transfered us quickly back to the terminal. We were lucky to be first off bus so joined the small security queue from a previous flight and got through reasonably quickly. Watching other planes land whilst queueing for security we realised how busy it was going to get very shortly. Cheerful immigration staff and a Jet2 customer helper to keep things moving. About a 15 min wait for bag reclaim during which time the arrivals filled up rapidly. I think we were lucky with our timings on arrival, looking at the planes landing and crowds coming in behind us can only imagine how busy it was going to be. On this occasion it was a pleasant experience, on previous occasions it was nowhere near as good.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"appalled at having to pay £3 to drop us all off"

Unverified | Firstly appalled at having to pay £3 to drop us all off, then a pound more for a trolley, its disgusting that you can be charged when there is no option of not! If you are going to the airport then surely you have to be dropped off close? Indeed there is nowhere available to drop off and walk to avoid the £3 scam. Next time get the flight from Manchester or even Doncaster! When we arrived back in UK the same £1 for a trolley, the same £3 for the taxi to pay to pick us up but not only that but in their wisdom Jet2 had three flights all dropping luggage on the same carousel - despite there being unused carousels available (it was 2 in the morning!) bonkers end to an otherwise fantastic break - well done LBA.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"600 people fighting to get their luggage"

Unverified | First and last time. Flew in to Leeds/Bradford airport on flight LS224 arriving at 00.45 on 26/8/17. Luggage for all 3 flights was eventually all put on to the one carousel, (why was this when it was totally unnecessary). Passengers were stood 6 deep attempting to retrieve their cases. That's upwards of 600 people fighting to get their luggage. Sheer Pandemonium with many frayed tempered. The first and last time we will holiday with Jet2 holidays involving a flight back into Leeds/Bradford airport.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"my local airport and it's embarrassing"

Verified Review | Leeds is my local airport and it's embarrassing. Small should mean personal and efficient/easier to have attention to detail. I travelled Ryanair. 3 points. 1) The walk to the aircraft in a what appears to be a prefabricated set of old bus shelters is poor when clearly money has been spelt on other less important areas. 2) On landing after a 35 min flight from Dublin we waited another 35 minutes for an airport bus - the pilot said Leeds only had 2 and they were both near horsforth. Come on if you can't unload more than one plane at a time then you are not an airport you are just a landing field. 3) You can't get a trolley for bags unless you pay a £1 - this is bad enough but wait for it - you have to use an old £ coin. A joke. Even my local golf range sorted its coffee machine out to use the new £ coin within a few days of its use. This trolley issue says so much about your management - it is a really good eg of how ineffective your management is and what it deems to be priorities. "If for whatever reason can't adjust the trolley machanism then you should have waived the fee" - no trolleys were used in my time in the luggage retrieval hall and a number of "customers" some of them elderly and infirm wanted them. Oh and whilst you sort this how about making the sign for the ladies toilet one which women have half a chance of seeing. I had to point three ladies in the right direction myself in the ten minutes I was there. I have reviewed a number of failing businesses and Leeds airport has a number of concerns which flag you have issues. Please don't think that your customers can't see these problems and indicators of ineffectiveness - we can - and for Leeds airport to be so poor is embarrassing to all Yorkshire people and businesses as for many it's the first experience of Yorkshire they get.

"Why is LBA different"

Verified Review | Poor food. Saltaire diner is a cattle market with no customer service, shoddy food, uncaring attitude of staff and with an monopoly there is nothing to persuade them to change. The practice of having to pay £3 to drop someone off is ridiculous. All other airports have a 15 mins grace period to enable people to be dropped off. Why is LBA different. The only positive thing about this airport is Sentinel car park and the fact that it is only 20 minutes from my home.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"return is so depressing"

Unverified | Leeds Bradford airport is a joke. We flew Jet2 with a ridiculously long queue but at least they were quick and efficient and we were greeted with a happy faces from all the staff. The queue through security was horrendous - especially with four young children, leaving us only 20 mins in the departure lounge before we were boarding. The food was overpriced and poor and it took forever to be served with some staff acting like it's a local pub, having long chats with customers. On our return it is so depressing, having to queue for miles to get through passport control when non-Europeans can just fly through a separate bit. There isn't any air conditioning and it really isn't pleasant to be queueing watching people in the departure lounge relaxing and eating and drinking.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"each time I am disappointed"

Verified Review | Unfortunately I have flown from this airport a number of times and each time I am disappointed. Firstly going through the security gate is a joke - I was stopped and had my bag of liquids emptied because the bag I was carrying them in was too big. Even though this is a bag which is known to be flight approved (it even says that on the front) and I have used this is many other airports without issue. The man then removed the lids from my liquids and tried squishing them all into one smaller bag (showing disregard for my belongings). The bag wouldn't close so he said he needed to take it to be checked. 5 minutes later after watching him stand checking his phone he brought my bag of stuff back and said it was fine. So I had to now put everything back together again. Then to try and find somewhere to sit. We managed to find a seat in the corner or a small coffee shop but this was by chance. The service clearly cannot cope with the number of people they have in the airport as the seats are few and far between. Even then it's not a pleasant place to sit and relax before a flight. Barely any places to get food and they all have very large queues. When arriving back from the holiday there was no direction from staff from where to go. However the man on security and the bus driver to the car park were both very nice and pleasant.
Date VisitJuly 2017