Leeds Bradford Airport

"What must overseas visitors think"

Not Verified | Just looking through the reviews to see if I might have missed any changes for the better this year at Leeds Bradford Airport. Sadly not. All the same problems are still encountered there it seems. The last 4 years we have travelled on at least 12 occasions and always hope there may be an improvement ‘next time’! We missed the experience this year through ill health. What a shame for the people who live in Yorkshire. They are so proud of the county and this airport lets them down. I always feel embarrassed when I read the large notices saying we are an International Airport. What must overseas visitors think. As one of the others reviewers has remarked, they should look at Mahon Airport and try to model on this example of a lovely experience for travellers. Still hopeful!
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"It is a vile airport"

Trip Verified | Disgusting airport. Dirty areas. Noisy cafe and bar area full of drunk stag parties. Simply disgusting. So opted for the lounge area with my business pass and was refused due to more paying stag and hen parties taking over the place. It is a vile airport. Business lounge packed to the rafters with drunks. Unclean and to top it all off rude staff. Asked for a manager, still waiting for phone call 4 weeks later. This airport needs to learn some manners. Needs help in cleanliness and needs knocking down. Dreadful experience all round, very poor customer service.
Date VisitJune 2018

"the place has not improved"

Not Verified | Awful airport. It's a place I've avoided recently, having had many a bad experience over the years. Sadly, the place has not improved. I foolishly booked flights from here, being quite a bit cheaper than East Midlands. I now understand why and I'll be paying a premium to avoid this place again. Got a mate to drop us off, had to pay £3 for the 45 seconds he was in the drop off area. From entering the terminal to getting through bag drop and security took well over an hour. It was like a case study on the subject of queuing. The air-side section is dingy and cramped. All of the food and drink outlets were rammed and appeared to be vastly over-priced. I decided not to fight the crowds and took a second mortgage to get a bottle of water from WH Smith (I think). To relax my frayed nerves I decided to avail myself of the smoking facilities. To my horror, I was charged £1 to enter a tiny outdoor area. £1 to use a door, amazing. When we boarded, we were funnelled down what looked like sheep pens for about 83 miles to the remote stands. I bet that's a giggle in the middle of winter. On return, we waited 45 mintutes for a bus to come and get us off the plane, then another 10 minutes to get off at the arrivals door. Passport control took about 20 mins and to cap it all, the baggage carousel still hadn't got our bags, which sauntered in about 10 minutes later. My poor mate had to pay well over £10 for the dubious privilege of hanging around in their car park waiting for us. A truly shocking airport that will never get my business again. In future, despite living only 20 miles away I'll be using Manchester, East Midlands or Doncaster. Regardless of cost.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"a dreadful little airport"

Not Verified | This really is a dreadful little airport. I always shudder when I find out I'm flying from or to it. First and foremost, the airport is in the middle of nowhere. Admittedly, they can't help this, but it's not possible to get to by train or tram and I imagine it's difficult by bus. They also have the audacity, knowing this, to charge you £3 to pick up and drop off. The car parking system is unfathomable and there's no one on hand to help you. The car park signs aren't clear so it's almost impossible to work out where you've parked when you arrive back from a trip abroad. Your best bet is to buy a brightly coloured car or purchase some sort of tracking system - otherwise you'll spend 3 days walking around a series of half gravel, half paved car parks with little lighting. The airport itself is small and unpleasant. When I arrived, it seemed to be sponsored by "Mumtaz Curries". The "entrance" (I imagine this is what the entrance to hell looks like) is a sliding patio door which leads to an unstaffed room. There is no organisation. There is usually around 1 member of staff lurking in a corner although this member of staff runs away if you try and ask questions. I spent 30 minutes trying to ask where I should go and was told "just go round that corner and see what happens". The security area is located at the end of a long conservatory type building. The security process itself is long but surprisingly painless and after being filtered through a Burger King, you emerge in the main departure area, which is basically a large sticky bar containing drunken middle aged women eating English breakfasts. The only shops I could see were a dilapidated WH Smiths and a perfume shop. There is also the "Yorkshire Lounge", which is a quasi-first class area containing a slightly fancier bar but sadly the same drunken people. When your flight is called, you walk down various flights of stairs and climb down a selection of ladders, before you walk out onto the runway and literally leave your bag in a big pile. You then have the pleasure of getting onto your plane and watching someone from Leeds throwing your bag into the plane's cargo hold with little regard. The most joy you get from this airport is leaving it. Upon returning, you are shepherded in to the airport through what seems to be a fire escape. You walk down a long carpeted corridor which smells of freshly cleaned vomit. As you shuffle by, you'll notice delightful signs warning you not to abuse the staff or bring in weapons. I'm sure I saw a sign saying "abandon hope all ye who enter here" but I can't be certain as I was crying heavily at the prospect of what awaited, the queue to get in is horrendous. I've never been able to get through security in less than 1 hour. And to make things worse, the entire time you are stared at by what I assume are undercover police officers but could very well just be annoyed locals, curious to see who has entered their realm from places afar. So, in summary: it's small, smelly, expensive and badly organised.

"a terrible airport"

Not Verified | I have travelled through hundreds of airports and Leeds Bradford airport is by far the worst. From having to pay £3 to drop off to security queues. When you walk in the entrance you have to walk through the queue to security to get in. When you queue up to go through security whether its 7am in the morning on a Sunday or a Friday night - why do they not open all the security stations? It really upsets everyone. Customer service is zero and this has gone on for years. If the management cared they would have sorted it by now. When you eventually get through and hit the sad face you then have to walk for miles outside to get to Gate 9 and into a porta cabin. Joke. On return it feels like you come in a fire exit and again queue up for ages at passport control. This is a terrible airport. Sort it out.
Date VisitJune 2018

"complete lack of customer care"

Not Verified | I was going to write directly to the complaints department at Leeds Bradford Airport but on reading the reviews given by others I will save my time, as it appears so many others have had the same bad experience of me and my family. I only wish to confirm of the complete lack of customer care Leeds Bradford Airport give, starting as soon as you enter the airport. I will never ever use this airport again, you are just a number, and not a very important one at that.
Date VisitJune 2018

"polite, helpful and reassuring"

Trip Verified | I have not flown for a very long time and this time I was on my own. Can I just say a big thank you to the one of the volunteers. I didn't get his name but he was an older gentleman. I asked him for help as was unsure where to go. He was polite, helpful and reassuring. He guided me to the right gate and checked on me from time to time. He is an asset to this airport. He made a very nervous person feel not so nervous with his help. Well done. Thanks again.

"it is getting worse"

Not Verified | Despite the building work going on over several years it is getting worse not better at Leeds Bradford airport. We arrived 2 hours before our flight. The first bar we tried was the new Cabin bar. We were blocked at the entrance by a member of staff who told us (a middle aged couple) we couldn't enter due to Health and Safety (too full). Outside the corridors were full of people sitting against walls. We went to the 2nd bar (Saltaire Bar). Although no one was stopping us going into this one it was even busier. We went downstairs (and past lots of other people sitting along corridors) to the 3rd bar (The Beer House). This was just as full as the others but we joined a queue. I waited in the queue for about 30 minutes before being served. The two staff were trying their best but that is the point - 2 staff! - on a bank holiday Monday!! It was only 1.30pm but they had already sold out of food. The flights weren't delayed but the airport simply couldn't cope with the numbers. Lack space, not enough staff on duty, no food left. I will be using alternative airports in the future. Not good enough.
Date VisitMay 2018

"£3 to drop off or pick up"

Not Verified | This must be the worst airport in the UK. £3 to drop off or pick up is ridiculous and has led to people stopping on the double yellow lines outside to avoid charges: an accident waiting to happen. The time taken for a passenger to appear in Arrivals from the plane landing can be over an hour, which means those waiting to collect them go into the next parking band of £9 for the privilege of collecting LBA's fare-paying customers. Even when the airport is quiet there is no rush at Baggage Handling or Passport Control to get people out. Is this a ploy to increase revenue at the car park ?

"utter shambles"

Not Verified | This has to be the worst airport in the world. £3 to drop someone off, awful and expensive food and drink, flights constaly delayed or cancelled, utter shambles.