Airline of the Year

Leeds Bradford Airport

"two members of staff dealing with baggage"

Verified Review | Returned to Leeds Bradford from Tenerife on Saturday around 1.00 am with a family totalling 8 persons including a 2, 5 and an 8 year old children. We could not get off the aircraft for ages as we were waiting for a member of staff to arrive for escorting purposes. We expected to wait a reasonable amount of time for baggage - it started to arrive and then everything stopped. Around 20 minutes later baggage started arriving again and then another stoppage for around 30 minutes. Bearing in mind that the smallest child had to be carried for an extremely long walk to immigration and the fact that there was no lift just stairs to climb with toddlers is extreme to say the least. Now waiting in the hallway baggage area desperately wanting a buggy and well over an hour with tired children was very stressful. I could feel that there was about to be a riot with dozens of very disgruntled passengers expressing their disquiet before leaving the area out of the way. I myself approached the assistant to be told that the wait was due to the fact that there was only two members of staff dealing with baggage. Several passengers had stated that we could have unloaded the baggage as individuals quicker. So beware everyone, Leeds Bradford is a pretend international airport, and does not deserve to have UK status as one.
Date VisitMay 2017

"just an absolute shambles"

A shambles from departure on 7 May to arrival on 14 May - to Tenerife. After baggage check-in it was just an absolute shambles, organised chaos springs to mind. Do not have a problem with the security checks that have to be carried out these days but for it to take nearly 2 hours to get through security is ludicrous. The staff and facilities are totally inadequate for the number of travellers using this so called International Airport. Parking is a rip off, the £3 charge for drop off and pick up and the non-refundable charge for a trolley is just pure greed. If only it was an International Airport!
Date VisitMay 2017

"the worst airport I have ever used"

Verified Review | Probably the worst airport I have ever used. It's congested, bursting at the seams with too many people having to endure an unorganised airport. One particular security staff member at the x-ray was just horrible, rude and on a power trip, he made one of our group throw away some of her toiletries because the plastic bag zipper would not close properly, (not that it was over full) and when he tried to close it this security staff was unsuccessful and then just let her through security anyway. We gave ourselves nearly two hours to pass though and did not even have time for a coffee because it took so long because of massive queues for security. Our return was no better with a 60 min wait for passport control. Unless it's absolutely necessary I will not use this airport again. I am surprised the airlines are not demanding higher standards, as ultimately it will be the airlines that suffer too when the passengers do not want to use this "tin pot" airport!
Date VisitMay 2017

"management please get it sorted"

Verified Review | Have travelled from Leeds to Malaga today and experienced shocking service from airport security staff. Management here seriously need to observe their staff (one particular man on X-ray / screening procedure was damn right rude and obnoxious), this put a real downer to the start of our holiday. He literally threw our toiletries back at us, ordering us to use an airport provided bag. Then was hollowing at everyone 'coats off, belts off'. Yes, of course security is key but his manner was shocking, so much so, that I will avoid Leeds Airport unless it's essential in the future. Management please get it sorted!

"mean-minded, grasping operation"

This mean-minded, grasping operation is not run for the benefit of the travelling public nor for the region it serves, but for the benefit of its owners Bridgepoint Capital and its investors. Two instances alone set the tone: 1) the outrageous £3 drop-off, pick-up charge which is inexcusable as it is extortionate, 2) the £1 non-refundable "hire fee" charged for the use of the baggage trolleys. How greedy and how unnecessary is that! And what sort of first impression does it give visitors to Yorkshire?

"Avoid at all costs"

This airport needs a massive wake up call. We arrived at this airport yesterday afternoon 8/5/2017. Our flight from Dalaman docked at gate 14. You need a taxi to get from the plane to the terminal, its that far of a walk or out of decency they should put a bus on, this is not the first time this has happened to us, so we asked the Monarch staff if my 74 year old mum could get the "special assistance mini bus" to the terminal. Mum got on the bus and I went the way we were told, people were having to stop, one lady had to stop and find her asthma pump as she too was struggling to breathe, its dirty, scruffy and so stuck in the past. I had to wait for mum for 50 mins as the "special assistance bus" waits for people off other flights too, god forbid they use a bit of fuel having to go back and forth! Then to top it off because I had to wait for my mum, my husband missed the allotted 30 min £6 car park fee so they jumped it to £9, which fair enough if they were spending it on the airport and bringing it up to the 20th centurty. I would rather go further afield to a more up to date, friendly and clean airport. I vowed last time never to use this airport but 2 years later i mean it. Avoid at all costs.
Date VisitMay 2017

"the seating was absolutely disgusting"

Verified Review | This is our local airport and what a shame the state it's in, we arrived checked in no problem then got to security which we breezed through with no issues. We opted to get a coffee and a bacon sandwich as that was the description given, anyway two sandwiches and two fat sandwiches (yes mostly fat) and gave them £14.00 for the privilege of warming them up. The seating we didn't sit on was absolutely disgusting, all the vynil was delaminating due to being wet too many times. I know they are doing up downstairs but come on people are excited about going away I'm sure most people who are going on there hols are smartly dressed and don't want to sit on shabby seats which for the cost of the food and drink the place should be a palace. Get a grip.
Date VisitApril 2017

"rudest I have experienced anywhere"

Verified Review | The security at this airport are the rudest I have experienced anywhere in the world, I know security is fundamental but we were treated in a very abrupt manner. We had one security officer shout at my wife like she was a bold child, I asked a simple polite question to another officer and was again told in a very abrupt tone to just move, my wife was screamed at, "you just stay there". These officers were either under a lot of pressure or inexperienced to a professional standard. I will never use this airport again.
Date VisitApril 2017

"airport is badly managed"

Waited on Ryanair jet (arrived on schedule at 21.30) for an hour for airport staff to allow passengers to disembark. During this long delay the jet door remained wide open and we were left frozen cold. Confrontation between pilot and ground staff could be overheard. The airport is badly managed and the tail appears to be wagging the dog, passengers being treated with Jobsworth contempt. Find an Airport director with some ability and sack the present incumbent.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"a very poorly managed airport"

Verified Review | I prepaid to use the Premium Car Park at Leeds Bradford Airport. Never having been before I looked for signs for where to go. Went round their car park system twice including talking to staff at the barriers for directions and to " let me out". One member of staff hadn't heard of the Premium car park and another did a pretty good job at winding me up. Eventually got parked. On my return, I drove to the Car Park exit barrier which refused to lift (when booking online, I was advised that the auto number plate recognition system would make my exit a seamless exercise). The barrier machine read out said that I had to pay £135 for my 4 day stay, so I pressed the Help button and spoke to the same staff that I spoke to 4 days earlier and explained that I had already prepaid. Eventually got through the barrier and this is meant to be Premium Service. I could go on but plenty said in other reviews. Clearly a very poorly managed airport. A shame really as it could be a useful alternative. Will avoid in future.
Date VisitDecember 2016