Larnaca Airport

"volume of public announcements was unbelievable"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Despite reviews I have read, this was a perfectly pleasant experience. Air-conditioning, very good shopping, though at the main restaurant I was surprised that the menu was not even in the local Greek language and only in English, so an interpreter must be used! Most and I mean most announcements so loud that could be heard in Beirut, were in english language only, and the old lady next to me was constantly asking for translation. The volume of public announcements was unbelievable and more than disturbing. A railway station in Africa would have been better. Lines at security check where some of the private security, do not speak greek were inexplicably long not to mention at passport control with ten police officers checking but no separation in practice of EU and third country passports or IDs. A very good airport however with some details which make it negative.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Absolute shocker inside"

Trip Verified | Arrival - Been holidaying regularly in Cyprus since 1983, although not since 2014 (just returned home 30 June) and pleasantly surprised to see new terminal in operation but dismayed when having to find 2 Euro coin to "hire" trolley in baggage reclaim. Most tourists will only have bank notes on arrival. Had to make purchase in shop in order to obtain coins. Not helpful when you have 18 month old grandchild with you. Otherwise O.K. Departure - Again, modern looking and typical "purpose-built" building i.e.concrete blocks and steel frame shed. Absolute shocker inside when we arrived at 9.00pm for an 11.00 departure. O.K. - we were advised that it was a busy Sunday evening but nevertheless, we could expect to get through check-in fairly quickly? To be fair, only took 10 minutes or so get luggage checked in. However, hidden from view behind the luggage check-in was a "snake" queue comprising approx. 1000 people to get through passport control and then security. Took well over an hour. Cheeky option available to pay €5 per person to "fast track" passport control but still left you having to join further "snake" to get through security? Consequently, departure board showed flight as boarding therefore no time to get refreshment after fraught experience? Might consider using Paphos airport again next time as much better experience.
Date VisitJune 2018

"queues right round the terminal"

Not Verified | I have been travelling to Cyprus for the last 19 years and I have never seen such chaos travelling back through Larnaca Airport on Sunday, 17 June and my son the previous day, Saturday 16 June. The queues were right round the terminal building. It took an hour and half for my son and girlfriend on the 16 June and an hour and half on the 17 June for me and my husband to get through to the other side. There was no time to shop in duty free and I just queued for a bottle of pop and then we were boarding. I was given a coupon for 10% off cosmetics and perfume, what a joke. The duty free shops must have lost so much money. The staff asked if a couple could push in before us as they were flying to Berlin with 10 minutes to spare and had not got through passport control. Why has the system changed? It worked perfectly well before. It will put people off coming to Cyprus and tourism will be affected. Please, please can the airport do something about this. We are due to travel back on the 11 July and do not want to face these queues again on our return flight. It is pretty scary when you think you could miss your flight through no fault of your own and I am sure other people will have missed theirs.
Date VisitJune 2018

"boarding gates are abysmal"

Trip Verified | Although the departure area at Larnaca is now decent, the boarding gates are abysmal. We were flying back to Birmingham, and were herded into the waiting area for gate 14, which was extremely crowded and a number of people were complaining that the crush of people was claustrophobic and that it was incredibly hot I'm not sure whether these conditions have been monitored from a health & safety perspective, but from a Customer experience perspective this was abysmal For the above reasons, I'm grading this as only 2 out of 10, because the final experience in the departure gates was horrendous.
Date VisitJune 2018

"queues are beyond belief"

Trip Verified | The airport is understaffed and queues are beyond belief. I visited mid May, the tourist season has not started yet and it’s chaos. If you want to shop or get to your plane on time, then I would suggest you get to the airport 3 hours minimum before you’re flight or you will be cutting it very fine. Two and a half hours to clear through Larnaca airport and a run to the easy jet gate. Larnaca have laid off staff and therefore customs takes double the time and queues the entire length of airport. The government apparently can not afford more staff and its only going to get worse. Easy jet booking in staff stood talking behind the desk making only 2 desks of the five available to book in until they finished their conversation. We eventually booked in the joined a queue which went around the whole of the airport. Whilst us brits queued, the rude Russian/Eastern Europeans just pushed in where ever and when ever. They hustled us like cattle into a boarding pass queue, then into passport control. This is where it got infuriating as two booths shut and no one relieved them. This took 1hr 30mins and we had to then run to the Easy jet departure desk. No time for shopping. At the boarding desk we were stacked in a small waiting area for the airport staff to do their job. 5 buses arrived, 5 drove off without passengers. Still the staff were packing the passengers into an area of about 25sq ft. We had to wait because a passenger requiring assistance arrived very late and because staff knew were going no where fast, they made a led bodied people wait. Totally wrong. We are all equal supposedly. Eventually we were allowed on to a bus where male staff from other buses appeared to be having a heated discussion amongst themselves outside of the building, waving hands and shouting. No one going anywhere fast. Having got on the plane the captain then explained that due to staff shortages he was unable to fly us home as he had run out of operational hours. As a result we had to wait for another captain to fly in on a Gatwick flight, for her to then rush to our plane, get a briefing and take us home. So far we are 40 minutes late and still waiting. According to the captain, Easy jet were aware of this from the start of his captains shift and are obviously quite happy to make customers wait due to their incompetence with staff rotas and not having enough staff.
Date VisitMay 2018

"experience was the last straw"

Not Verified | The arrival and check in was not to bad, then we had to get in the end of a queue which was horrendous and stretched as far as the eye could see, and this was just to check the boarding passes, and then we queue again to have our passports checked, and then we had to wait to go through the hand luggage check - this was when my wife rang an alarm which was maybe her necklace and am still not quite sure as she was sent to be searched as is procedure but the woman wanted to check her bag. My wife explained that it was something on her and not the bag but the woman started swabbing her bag then went off and never came back, so after a long wait we took our bags and went. This woman was an absolute disgrace as a security operative and a complete joke. We are both pensioners and have been to Cyprus many times but this experience was the last straw coupled with the extra checks which I am sure we never had before. The most stupid thing is having to produce a boarding pass to buy water which in itself is a total rip off and which I am sure is a tax scam and should not be in place. I must also agree with another review that mentioned people pushing in and it was mention by one passenger in our queue that some nationalities very rudely pushed in front of them. If we ever go back it will be Paphos and never Larnaca terrible airport.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Airport was ridiculously hot"

Not Verified | Airport was ridiculously hot! Temperature was reading 26 degrees indoors and no sign of air con. Everyone was absolutely sweating. Airport itself is ok. Shops are quite nice, etc. Although the rudest man ever in the duty free shop, working on a till. Flight was delayed, not much info given.
Date VisitApril 2018

"there was no queuing pattern"

Trip Verified | The last time we flew from Larnaca was on the morning after Ronald Reagan ordered an attack on Gaddafi's headquarters in Libya so security was tight and we had an armed guard to escort us to our plane. Things were obviously much different this time: a new spacious terminal and a much more relaxed atmosphere. The terminal was actually much larger than I expected, but I would agree with those who have found it passenger-friendly with plenty of seating and wide aisles. We did, however, think that passport control was slow as not all the booths were manned: on our return flight the queues were longer than for security. I would also have welcomed more prominently and strategically displayed screens to have checked the gate for our flight. In the event, our gate was announced over the loudspeaker system before it appeared on the screens. My main criticism, however, concerns the holding area after the departure gate: whether this was just in our case or may happen regularly, but any separation of Speedy Boarders from everyone else at the gate was then nullified when we were herded into an area where there was no queuing pattern. Consequently the first people into this area were blocked in their places till later arrivals had moved onto the stairs leading towards the airport apron. If I had paid for Speedy Boarding (I hadn't) I would have been annoyed that many ordinary customers eventually got onto the plane before me.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"are a disgusting rip off"

Trip Verified | Although the airport is relatively clean and modern, the prices of food and drink are a disgusting rip off. I have just been charged €2.80 for a 75cl Bottle of water, this I find particularly offensive as passengers are prohibited from bringing their own into the airport. I am traveling alone, for a family, any time spent here could prove very costly. Hermès airports obviously know they have a captive market and are exploiting that to an obscene degree. Absolutely disgusting.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"a very fine airport"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | A fine clean convenient new airport with moving walkways for pedestrians, quick passport control, and fast luggage delivery. However, in such a tourist country the welcome office of the Cyprus Tourism Organisation that provided maps and brochures all these years is now closed . Hopefully the CTO will understand how helpful and essential such an office is. All signs are in Greek and English languages, fast car rentals. All in all this is a very fine airport, named Glafkos Clerides in honour of its late president. For my departure I was disappointed having to be checked at security by non local staff, one of them was rather rude, impolite, who did not even speak Greek whilst police ID check was served only by three officers which meant long delays. Last but not least, prices at this airport for inexplicable reasons are very high, bottled water for example at three times more than in Athens. Any reason to be so expensive in an inexpensive country?
Date VisitFebruary 2018