Lagos Airport

"terminal is in a decrepit condition"

Trip Verified | I arrived at the Arik Air domestic terminal (having taken an internal flight from Abuja) and departed on BA from the international terminal. Arik Air use remote stands and bus you to the terminal. Business class passengers get their own mini-bus, which is more than BA offer when they occasionally use a bus at LHR. The terminal is in a decrepit condition but quick to get through. Fortunately I didn't have baggage to collect. The worst part of the experience was the chaotic taxi "queue" area outside the terminal. Fortunately, I was with a Nigerian business partner who knew the form, but I wouldn't have wanted to navigate that on my own. I departed on BA from the international terminal. I had heard the horror stories about Lagos traffic so allowed plenty of time to get to the airport. In the event the cab ride from Victoria Island was only 40 mins so I was very early. I checked in online and printed by own boarding pass so by-passed check-in. The terminal is in a bad condition (although not as awful as the domestic one) but there were no queues and it was actually quite efficient. As I had checked in online I didn't know about or have a departure card. The immigration officer filled in it for me. I think he was expecting a "tip" but I just smiled and walked away. The BA lounge is like something from the 1970s, but plenty of seats and a reasonably good selection of snacks. The priority boarding procedure was a bit chaotic but not too bad. They let "infants" board first, which seemed to include kids of up to about 15 years old! All in all, not as bad as expected.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"whether I can spare some change"

Unverified | The procedure in the Lagos airport was to irritate and inconvenient the passengers. First, the airport did not turn on the air condition even though they have the unit in the hallway walking up to the departure gate. Upon entering the airport building, you must weight your luggage on a scale. Then wait in line. Before you get to the airline counter, you must go thru a screening to produce your printed itinerary and show proof of the credit card that purchase the ticket. Then you wait in line again to the counter. The luggage must be lifted up a meter high onto a stainless steel table and opened to have an officers to hand search. At the checkin counter, you check in the bags and get your bag weighed and your boarding pass. They give you a yellow color departure card to fill out and specify exactly how much foreign and local currency are with you. Time to change the currency (4 to 5 different booths). Before enter departure area, the passport and boarding pass was checked by a guard, then queue up to the immigration. Before you get your immigration stamped on your passport, you get to have someone check your departure card boarding pass again. Then the immigration stamp on your passport and collect the yellow departure card. However, I saw the immigration officer looking into my eye, the right hand holding onto my passport, and the left finger were thumbing or playing with his left fingers to signify handling over money. I looked at him and smiled and shake my head. Then, I went thru the security line with shoes off and laptop out on to the x-ray machine. Everyone get padded down. And I got my shoes back and walked away towards the Duty Free store. Going thru the store is the only way to the gate but there was no sign. I hesitated and stopped, an officer called me to halt. He wanted to know how much money I was carrying and whether I can spare some change. A Nigerian lady behind me just passed Niara 200 into his hand and quickly walked away (because I was in the front and delaying the line); while I had to explain to the officer that I had less than N900. I took out my billfold showing the Nigerian money and count in front of him. He was satisfied and let me go knowing there is too little money to extort from me. I went to the end of the hallway at gate #44 and waited in line to have the boarding pass scanned by the airline staff. Directly behind this airline staff about literally 2 feet away, sat a lady and wanted to see my passport and boarding pass. Then, I walked up a few meter in front, all items in my carry on bag were taken out, placed on the stainless steel table, and every pockets of the bags were checked. Then had me to take off the shoes to have body padded down again. Finally I sat on the chair in the hot room and wait to board the plane. One thing for sure is that all of these checks reduced the chance of terrorists bring in any weapon but what an experience.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"cleanliness was horrible"

(Nigeria)

Lagos Airport cleanliness was horrible. Check-in time was outrageously long. Check-in hall was not air conditioned. Lounge was fine. Customer service was fine, not great though. WiFi is not secure. Flight info boards are incorrect. when I flew South African Airways last year our flight was late but the board said "On Time" - overall airport was poor.
Date VisitJune 2016

Avoid if you can connect elsewhere

Transiting through Lagos to catch a United flight to Houston was an unmitigated disaster. Immigration sent me to baggage claim to look for my bag even though it was checked all the way to the US. Took my passport. 8 different people will tell you 8 different stories or people to go talk to. Finally with my passport located I was escorted to the gate through Duty Free, security checkpoints etc. At the gate, my bag was checked, scanned, and rescanned and rescanned as the scanner needed re-alignment. In 15 minutes, I was checked 5 times by the same security staff even though I was just standing there the whole time. What possibly could have changed every 3 minutes requiring a check? The airport itself has no air conditioning, poor seating areas at gates and is highly disorganized and dysfunctional. I have been to many similar airports with infrastructure and organization that isn't close to the circus in Lagos. Avoid this airport if you can connect elsewhere.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"no signs or directions"

(Greece)

I believe that this airport is in very poor condition. I arrived and departed from Lagos, with a 1 month difference. There is no air-conditioning in the airport, and everybody is asking for money, even at the check-in counters. There are no places for shopping like Duty-Free, which are found at nearly every airport. There is no place to eat, and if you are not entering a lounge, you have to sit in a dark room with no air-conditioning and lights until your flight departs. There are no signs or directions. There is also no Wi-fi connection. Wouldn't recommend this airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"there was a big difference"

I guess the airport is still under renovation and I believe my recent visit November shows there's an improvement compared to my last visit. In May my visit was so bad that I nearly passed out because of the heat and the customs were so slow, the baggage area slow as well. This time there was a big difference, the Ac was working, the customes were fast and it took me just an hour to get out of the airport.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"airport continues to get better"

This airport continues to get better. Proper queues in place, some improved signage and air conditioning and no asking for bribes (the new President of Nigeria is very anti-corruption). A new bar and duty-free has opened. Seating is still poor and all water bottles removed from passengers pre-boarding which is not very agreeable, given you may have to wait an hour in a small hot area for up to an hour, pre-boarding. But its certainly improved since my last visit two years ago.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"old, dirty, badly organised"

Lagos airport is certainly one of the worst aspects of this gigantic city. It is old, dirty, badly organised not to say not organised, with lousy Aircon and worst of all no plans (at least according to my Nigerian friends) to modernise. We would be in a poor African country this would be understandable but we are there in the economy capital of possibly the wealthiest country with an extremely busy airport. Be ready for endless queues and if your travelling business don't hold your breath regarding lounges: I have been to 3 of them, all lousy. Terminal signs and directions are virtually non existent, ambulators out of order etc. etc.

Lagos Airport customer review

In a nutshell, once off the plane I had to pay a $20 "fine" for not having a yellow fever vaccination certificate with me, even though this is absolutely not required for a transit passenger coming from the US. The money I'm sure just went into the officer's pocket. Then, all the US passengers who were transiting to another flight had their passports confiscated for about 4 hours while we were basically paraded from one spot to another in the airport, finally ending up in a cockroach-infested office of the army officer who took our passports in the first place. Eventually they were given back to us, with no explanation, some 45 minutes after a member of our captive party complained to someone at the Emirates lounge. Nothing, and I mean nothing, could ever convince me to go back there again. If I could give a less than zero rating to this place, I would.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Lagos Airport customer review

Lagos though one of the busiest airports in Africa do not have facilities of an international Airport. Terminal building is under renovation and has been for the last 4 years hence you may expect some inconvienience. However situation was much better at immgration area this time. Air-conditioning was working. They have done away with the arrival form, immigration process was much faster. Not much improvement in baggage services, had to wait for 30 min post immigration. Improved a lot from my earlier visits. Could come out within a hour. They have started pickup vehicles in arrival area which had been stopped last year. Lagos airport has improved a lot as compared to last year.
Date VisitMay 2015