Lagos Airport

Review by (United States)

In a nutshell, once off the plane I had to pay a $20 "fine" for not having a yellow fever vaccination certificate with me, even though this is absolutely not required for a transit passenger coming from the US. The money I'm sure just went into the officer's pocket. Then, all the US passengers who were transiting to another flight had their passports confiscated for about 4 hours while we were basically paraded from one spot to another in the airport, finally ending up in a cockroach-infested office of the army officer who took our passports in the first place. Eventually they were given back to us, with no explanation, some 45 minutes after a member of our captive party complained to someone at the Emirates lounge. Nothing, and I mean nothing, could ever convince me to go back there again. If I could give a less than zero rating to this place, I would.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Review by (India)

Lagos though one of the busiest airports in Africa do not have facilities of an international Airport. Terminal building is under renovation and has been for the last 4 years hence you may expect some inconvienience. However situation was much better at immgration area this time. Air-conditioning was working. They have done away with the arrival form, immigration process was much faster. Not much improvement in baggage services, had to wait for 30 min post immigration. Improved a lot from my earlier visits. Could come out within a hour. They have started pickup vehicles in arrival area which had been stopped last year. Lagos airport has improved a lot as compared to last year.
Date VisitMay 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

Definitely one of the worst airports in the world but believe it or not it was a lot worse a few years ago. Toilets are ok and always attended facilities should be a lot better considering how much revenue the airport must earn from airlines using it. The security situation although improved can be improved a lot further.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Just arrived a LOS and it was 13 years since I was last here. I was lucky to be met by a company facilitator who was able to have me processed with ease. The toilets leave a lot to be desired but worked. Luggage took two hours to arrive and there are limited seating or refreshments available. Advise that you keep a bottle of water handy just in case. Officials seems reasonably friendly and helpful. Did not encounter any signs of people looking for "tips" just to do their jobs. A polite smile will do if asked I believe. Customs were Ok and more concerned with Nigerian nationals but then a dreadful bottleneck occurs at the exit door as people tend to stand there with lots of baggage trolleys and make phone calls. But all in all it serves it's function. Just be prepared for an extended luggage wait. it is however somewhat reassuring that no one gets irate at this wait as it is just past of the process. Bags do appear eventually.

Review by (Philippines)

I am a traveler and I've been doing this for a quite long time now. I found the airport nice and competitive enough to other airports in the world. It was a great place to arrive and depart from.

Review by (Netherlands)

Considered amongst the worst airports in the world I've flown into Nigeria twice and was worried about it the first time. Because of that my host decided to buy me into the country and handing some Naira's to officials. Even though I normally hate to see it I was picked out of the line by an armed security officer after which my passport got stamped. Welcome to Nigeria. I decided not to ask for such a pick-up anymore and tried normal waiting in line the next time looking how others bought their way through customs this time. For the first time in my life I noticed the line for 'Other nationalities' was four or five times shorter than with 'Nigerian nationality'. After all this is not the most popular tourist destination. After passport checks I had three other custom staff coming up to me relatively asking me for yellow fever-document (which I had) asking me how much money I brought along (I told him 200 dollar after which his colleague sent him away and told him to leave me alone) and looking into my luggage. At departure it was unclear where to check-in and to make things worse the entire check-in system for all airlines was not working leading into a 2-hour delay because each ticket and passport needed to be checked by hand. Looking how a Nigerian airport staff disappeared in the crowd with my passport after saying he would return with a few minutes was scary but in the end he did return. Next time I will just go with the flow again and see where it ends up but I do understand why some people are well-willing to pay a couple of Naira's for a fast-pass on this airport. It is also the only airport in the world where they take away your lighter at security checks and the only smoking-area is in a restaurant where consumption has to be taken in order to smoke but where they can't offer you a lighter either. When people did not order without a lighter they brought one after a couple of minutes and for one of the people turned out to be a familiar lighter which was taken away at security check shortly before. Enjoy your trip.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Without doubt the worst airport in the world and I've travelled through more than 100. Dingy gloomy unbearably hot and hours to get through immigration where two bored officials slowly plod through hundreds of arriving passengers. Outside a line of policemen asks for spurious vaccination card checks and expect $10 bribe to let you pass. The car park and pick up area is a third world dusty chaos that takes another hour to navigate. When departing from the airport its the same thing in reverse so leave hours to get your flight.

Review by (United States)

I travel on a rotational basis so I am in this airport up to 12 times per year. The reputation described by others does exist but there are times it's better than others. The only thing consistent about it is that the routine is always changing when coming through immigration. "Stand here now go over there. Come back here." The immigration officials are either pretty much clueless or they do this for a reason. Luggage can be a painful process but even when I have had a bag not arrive with me (went to Port Harcourt on Lufthansa as part of a continuing leg for that plane) I did eventually get it back. The biggest issue is what you do outside the airport. Nobody helps for free and nobody is friendly for free. When departing if you are early you can go up to Abibi's which is on the 2nd floor and visible from all check in areas. It's expensive though. Going through the process of getting out is hit and miss. The airlines I've flown with have been courteous and professional. Fast tracking through immigration is nothing special. Most of the people working these lines make you glad you are leaving the country.

Review by (United Kingdom)

My first trip to Nigeria was everything I expected. When I landed I had no idea where to go as the signs are not clear. Airport staff are very disorganized they push passengers from one line to the other and then back again. It was very confusing but overall security check was fine. Waiting for the luggage took quite a while and when I tried to get luggage trolley they said you could not pay by card anywhere. On the way out I was stopped by healthcare officers. They checked both my pieces of luggage. When I thought I was done one of the officers said there was a problem with my vaccinations and would not listen to my explanation. My husband was waiting outside and they would not even let him near me saying I would be deported. When I finally managed to get though the last "security check" with the officer simply walked away and left me in the middle of the airport. Good job my husband managed to find me! That was my first trip to otherwise a beautiful country and as I am going back there again this week I do hope my experience will be much better.

Review by (United States)

Horrible! The worst travel experience ever. 4.5 hours from arriving at the airport to boarding the plane (we almost missed the flight). Bribery will get you ahead of the lines and around the first level of security. Give yourself most of the day to get to the gate. It was horrific.