La Guardia Airport

Review by (United States) 17th June 2015

I don't know who this CIBO entity is. But, I do know if your looking forward to any recognizable name brand opportunities for food, forget it! The options were definitely pedestrian cafeteria fair at one end, and 7-11 style yogurt and cold pastries at the other. Everything looked bland and tasteless. My wife had chicken from a buffet style service that was in the middle of the concourse between C and D terminals. I mean literally in the middle, with lots of people pushing past with bags and sweaters flying. I'm not sure how it passes any kind of food sanitation inspection. The line for the burger grill was long and not moving at all. I decided to skip it all together. I wound up with a cup of coffee and a cold cinnamon bun for lunch. The D terminal gates have some nice looking booths with an iPad at each seat. But, not really functional. I broke out the Macbook and paired with my cellphone because theres no open Wifi connection that I could link to. So much space is devoted to these booths that there is very little seating. There were far more people standing than sitting and all the D gates were very crowded.
Date Visit14-06-2015

Review by (United States) 1st June 2015

Arrived and departed from the central terminal at LGA recently and was blown away by the terminal. The central terminal is simply put horrible. On arrival we followed steps that lead us to exit the airport with what looked like we were entering the NYC subway to exit the airport. On departing the security line wraps around terminal inside if one is taking a Monday morning flight at 7am. Once past security and at the gate you are again taken back to a building where the roof is leaking in many places other airlines have installed their own AC units as the ones provided in the terminal do not work. As I finish this review a terminal building is coming but we will not see it for at least four years. If one mainly flies Delta or US Airways one will fly out of new terminal buildings so this will not be an issue.
Airport Shopping N/A

Review by (United States) 30th April 2015

Just about the only thing LaGuardia has going for it is its proximity to Manhattan versus other NYC-area airports and even then you are at the mercy of traffic since there is no direct rail connection. I flew into and out of the Central Terminal Building (Terminal B) which I found to be cramped and dated. With construction going on a number of vehicles live-parking at curbside and no traffic control officers to speak of it took forever for my bus to make the loop of the airport to drop me off at Terminal B. Once inside there was not enough room for passengers to queue up at ticket counters in the landside area and the queues for the security checkpoints were spilling into the main terminal. Once past security your only food and beverage options were a coffee shop and two newsstands. Then once the flight boarded and pushed back we had to wait over an hour for our turn to take off - there were 20-25 planes ahead of us on a Friday late afternoon with otherwise good weather. The only redeeming factor was the striking view of New York and its environs upon departure.

Review by (Canada) 19th January 2015

Disorganized crowded busy. Use the airport as it is closest to family in the city. Otherwise would not recommend.

Review by (United States) 28th October 2014

I used to be a hater like most people but the newly redesigned Delta Terminals offer lots of comfortable and clean individual seating most with free ipads to use and plenty of outlets. The food options are great and tasty - from a salad bar and hot food bar to incredibly delicious gelato. I have traveled to 6 continents and more than 30 countries and I'd rate the new LaGuardia my favorite airport terminal or perhaps second only to Seoul South Korea.

Review by (United States) 13th October 2014

La Guardia manages to combine all the disadvantages of a large airport with the amenities of a tiny airport. From entry to embarkation or from disembarkation to exit it is a thoroughly unpleasant place to be. In our experience last week check-in (JetBlue at terminal B) was swift and efficient but that's the only positive part of the experience. Security was slow even though the line itself seemed manageable and amenities post-security were practically non-existent and the bathrooms not particularly clean. On our return our exit involved a half hour wait for a cab (though JFK can be worse on this count). I've been to many airports in the developing world in particular in Africa but have encountered few that are as unpleasant as La Guardia.

Review by (United States) 19th September 2014

Unintentionally retro decor as in "we haven't updated since the 70's" and that includes repairs. This sets the tone for your entire New York experience of dilapidation on a grand scale. The Security experience however was fast and far less hostile than JFK and there are plenty of places to recharge. Since I am a budgeting hound there's not much choice of airport when you locate a nice cheap airfare (sites like skyscanner or skypicker for this) but this is the least awful airport for those going in and out of NYC. The area is not good and its better to get a park and fly so your car will have the hotel security rather than leave your car at the airport. The wifi is pay-only and if there are any flights cancelled you will wish you were in hell instead of here. Forget trying to get here on the subway although you can take the buses. Taxis are plentiful and easy to get. So to sum up if nothing goes wrong and all the planets are just right you won't mind La Guardia too much.

Review by (Canada) 27th July 2014

Using LGA is like a trip back to the Seventies in some respects right down to the historic American and United Airlines logos still visible on building exteriors. The Air Canada United and JetBlue gates in Terminal B appear to have changed little since the Nixon presidency aside from the signage and the absence of smoking. Plastic coverings on the ceilings presumably due to leaks also suggest a facility badly in need of repair. Food and time-passing options in Terminal B are limited to three small food outlets a convenience store and a duty-free shop for Canada-bound passengers Wi-Fi is pay-to-use only. On the positive side security screening took only a few minutes at midday and I was at the gate within 60 minutes of leaving my Midtown hotel room. Recommended conditionally as the best of a bad lot for those staying in Manhattan.

Review by (Canada) 20th June 2014

This airport is simply shocking and a real embarrassment to NYC and America. Describing it as a third-world airport would be an understatement. Facilities and decor are outdated and very limited. I frequently travel in and out on Air Canada and the 4 departure gates assigned to this airline is in an area that offers very limited seating is stuffy and overcrowded. The experience one must endure to transit through this airport completely negates the convenience it offers due to its proximity to Manhattan. Security queues are ridiculous and being barked at by agents during the process is degrading. It is time NY Port Authority took a long hard look at this seriously sub-standard establishment.

Review by (Australia) 29th November 2013

We flew from La Guardia to Denver. We were on an early flight 7am so took a 4 am taxi from our hotel near Penn Station. The airport looks like it hasn't been decorated since the late 1960s it's like being in a time warp! A lot of the eating establishments were not open as we were there so early but one did open up so we could grab a coffee. Check in was easy but we were there very early so I'm not sure what it's like during the day.