Kuwait Airport

Review by (United Arab Emirates) 17th June 2015

I honestly have been to this airport far too many times considering that I have once lived here in Kuwait before (but this will be my first review on the airport). 1) Upon arrival, for some passengers, it is required of us to obtain a visa on arrival before heading to the immigration counter. I have noticed huge improvements with this service as they now photocopy your passport getting your passport stamped at the visa place (which did ease up the whole transaction). I did notice however that there was no information with regards to the price for the visa. Last time I came, I paid 5kd but my boyfriend (on an American passport) didn't pay for any. I actually had to Google up the actual cost and turns out its only 3kd. Anyway the whole visa process was easy thankfully. 2) It was not notified to us that those who already have their passport stamped at the visa application area can just walk through the immigration without going through the queue as you already have your passport stamped. 3) Coming back to this airport and heading out to Abu Dhabi almost gave me a heart attack. This airport has a weird way of organising their check in counters as they would group some airlines in one gate/area (e.g. Omanair, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways would be in the same check in area). Passengers are required to stand out the airport and look at the direction to figure out which gate/area they need to go to check in. Anyway, as I entered the airport, I noticed there was a long line at the luggage check going out to area I needed to get my boarding pass. I have already checked in online and all I needed to do was get my boarding pass. I didn't even have any luggage to scan as I flew in the same day as I am heading back out. My flight was due to leave in 1.5 hours and I noticed that all those that queued up were ones that were flying with Emirates. Thankfully, the security guy at the luggage check allowed me to jump the queue (scan just my handbag) and proceed to the counter. 4) There are hardly any shops in here. Both before and after immigration. I'm happy to see the new coffee shops area at the end of the terminal which is usually less crowded and more peaceful. Overall, it is an OK airport to be at for a short transit. Not one you would want to spend more than 3 hours at though to be honest.
Date Visit14-06-2015

Review by (Australia) 16th April 2015

Kuwait needs a larger and more modern airport forthwith. The existing one is overcrowded and just not up to scratch. Its bursting at the seams. Kuwait should do a Singapore.

Review by (United States) 5th January 2015

In my independent travels to 106 countries I have never been less impressed by an airport than with Kuwait International. First and foremost the staff spend more time on personal cellphones than on customer service. This is true at every level whether it is security personnel looking at their phone screens instead of baggage scanning screens immigration personnel tapping at their phone keypads between passport checks or gate personnel making private calls while passengers await assistance. The terminal and hallways leading to gates are filled beyond capacity with people. Acoustics-killing tiled floors and densely populated spaces make announcements virtually impossible to hear or comprehend. The airport provides a terrible first impression when arriving in Kuwait and a terrible last impression when departing.

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st December 2014

We have used this airport for 20 years and I could not understand why it has now got so bad. The airport road is chaotic the queues at zone 1 are incredible and the Kuwaiti officials are more interested in their smartphones than passengers. The immigrant staff work hard but have no leadership resulting in chaos. The only good point about this airport is the Flydubai terminal. Ensure you leave plenty of time when using this airport as you will need it.

Review by (United Kingdom) 6th July 2014

Flew into KWI on 25/6/14 departed 26/6/14. It amazes me that such a rich country has Third World infrastructure. This airport is small run-down and chaotic. There is no order to the queues for immigration and the baggage takes at least an hour to arrive. The security is shambolic. My hand luggage was x-rayed at least three times yet each time the operative monitoring the screen was not even looking at it. There is no point in doing something poorly three times - do it once properly!

Review by (Kuwait) 28th December 2012

Truly a dreadful experience both departing and arriving. Run down crowded and chaotic is possibly the only explanation I can give. I have seen better airports in Africa. The duty free is a rip off and I have never bought anything at the airport.

Review by (Australia) 13th July 2012

If you are flying out of Kuwait keep an eye on the clock. Don't waste time on food and shopping. Nothing much in that area anyway. Info screens dangerously misleading. Dirty washrooms rude ground staff. Choose Kuwait as a transit port only.

Review by (Kuwait) 17th September 2011

I do not like the airport but it was a very fast in check-in. I know that the new airport will be good the best thing was that it was clean however there were not a lot of facilities.

Review by (Australia) 17th August 2011

Completely altered my view following departure experience. Agree with Mrs Argyle and Kamal. If you are flying out arrive 3 hrs before departure. Check-in and head straight for immigration. Queues are long at peak hours. Flight info displays dangerously misleading. Everyone gives a different set of information. Don't assume people know what they are talking about. Don't bother with shopping and meals. After immigration head to the gate emplane and get out. Staff can be rude. Travel on one of the few quality carriers serving the city. Obtain all info and keep your fingers crossed.

Review by (United Kingdom) 16th January 2011

Did not enjoy my 5 hour transit in Kuwait at all. Very basic there was nothing that I could do while waiting for my next flight and the toilet wasn't very clean either. The staff were quite friendly.