Top 100 Airports

Kigali Airport

"clean, airy, and un-crowded terminal"

Small airport on a hilltop, you walk into the terminal and descend down while arriving and you take the escalators up when departing. We walked to and fro from the aircraft, affording a glimpse of the hilly city of Kigali. Visa on arrival meant filling out a short form at a manned counter who gives you a receipt which you present to an official at the adjacent counter who stamps the receipt, gives you a copy, and waves you out into the country. The luggage took a few minutes longer to arrive though. There is a Bank of Kigali counter as you exit the building to exchange your currency. Taxis outside - they take both local Rwanda Francs and US dollars - and the drivers speak English. Very pleasant experience stepping out of the terminal with lots of open spaces and no crowds. Clean, airy, and un-crowded terminal, with friendly airport and airline staff. At departure terminal, there are shops selling handicrafts in addition to the standard stocks of a duty free shop - liquor and chocolates. Multi-levels of security at departure -- had to remove shoes, belts, and the like twice. Procedures were generally quite slow and there was a tendency for people to be brought in front of the line by airport staff, further enhancing the waits.
Date VisitAugust 2016

(South Africa)

One of the better airports in Africa I made use of the pay lounge (at USD25) where they served snacks and drinks. I had a medical situation was referred to the medical station and received good medical attention.

(Guatemala)

Staff are efficient and friendly. Its small but clean organized and user-friendly. Arrival and departures are straightforward and fast. I have used the airport 4 times and never found any complications. Shopping options are limited and after migration food options are limited.

Kigali Airport customer review

A small efficient and fairly modern-looking airport. Immigration and customs on arrival was quick and painless. Departure was similarly painless although the layout can be misleading. We walked into what looked to be the main hall (where banks and foreign exchange bureaus were located) but the check-in counters are actually located through doors located more toward the side of the terminal building. After security and check-in I encountered the friendliest immigration official I had ever met who asked me about my impressions of Rwanda and said he hoped I would return. There is an upstairs restaurant where I sat with my colleagues until the airport staff actually came round to gather the passengers for our flight to Entebbe - apparently everyone had checked in and so we left 20 minutes early! Overall a pleasant experience.

Kigali Airport customer review

The airport is rather small but seems efficient and friendly staff. Fast luggage handling hardly any queue at immigration. Same thing at departure. At departure a friend of mine who came late to say goodbye when I was already in the departure hall was allowed to pass through passport control and all the way to the security check where we could meet after a friendly security officer had called me back. For the security level it meant nothing but for goodwill of the staff and airport it meant a lot. The airport is conveniently close to the city. I can say nothing about the shops since I passed at odd times.