Keflavik Airport

"poor in every sense"

Not Verified | Chaos and clueless staff. On travelling Saga on Icelandair you transfer to waiting queues of people. There is poor signage at transfer. On returning even though in the Icelanair lounge there is no real hands on communication. High winds on Monday 26th meant people stood or sat on the floor. It was more like an exodus than an airport. No drink was given to passengers waiting. Staff later claimed they had offered drinks. People were actually complaining of having no air. Certainly staff of Icelandair were drinking coke and sitting. Guys in blue suits with neat ties whisked among the flotsam. Now you cannot doubt that safety is paramount. The lack of a plan and the lack of seating in the International D area makes it uncomfortable and you might think dangerous at some point. I had seat number 1 on the aircraft and had paid full wack. The staff were not helpful or indeed sorry for the complete chaos that seemed to descend on the place. Announcements to look at the boards came 1 hour 20 minutes after people already knew there was a delay. I spoke to some on the WOW flights. They said it was probably the worst airport they had been to. I have to agree actually. The Icelandair lounge is nice but the people are not engaging. I sent a note to the Chairman of the airline. Complete zero response. I do think that the influx of tourists will damage Iceland. I cannot think that the disorganisation at the airport in terms of comfort will encourage people to come back. Poor in every sense.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Comfortable seating and plenty of it"

Trip Verified | I really liked Keflavik airport - it has a relaxing a calm atmosphere. Comfortable seating and plenty of it. Great shops and considering Iceland pricing, that it was tax-free was very much appreciated. Great selection of bars and restaurants, clean bathrooms and importantly for me a smoking room. Security was fast effiicient and friendly. Distance to the boarding gate was listed as 20 minutes but in fact it was no more than 10. Pick up the guide at the entrance to the airport, it has some coupons for good deals on food and drink. Also - get a water bottle - there are fountains of crystal clear Icelandic water available.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Pleasantly surprised at the airport"

Trip Verified | Pleasantly surprised at the airport in general. The staff were very kind and friendly, the airport had plenty of comfortable seats which also had sockets to charge phones, a feature that I found really useful. The security checks are really effectively done at the airport, got through it in around 10 minutes (compared to up to 1 hour at some airports). There’s a wide variety of restaurants available in the airport, the toilets are also very clean and modern. Overall I felt Keflavik Airport is clean, modern and convenient, I wish all other airports would meet the standard set by this airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"shooed us away like we were kids"

Not Verified | This airport has incredibly rude staff. Our flight was delayed and we were asking questions and the security staff just shooed us away like we were kids. When we asked for more questions, she told us to go back to our site like we were imbeciles. We tried to ask for her name to make a formal complaint because of how rude that employee was, security came and he was completely one sided without even knowing the story. We tried explaining to him but he kept blocking us and overpowering us and they continued to speak in Icelandic. We were threatened to be charged with harassment because we asked for the rude staff’s name. I have never experienced this rudeness by an airport ever. This is the worst customer service. You cannot ask them questions without being belittled. Iceland is a beautiful country but the staff are very rude. I have never experienced this. They need to think about who they are serving. They are serving tourists and need to know what is basic customer service. No one even thought them basic human interaction.

"very nice staff"

(Lithuania)

Trip Verified | It was a good surprise! There is very nice staff and even the security people are nice. This airport has comfortable seating in waiting area. I think this airport offers friendly reminder to how it should be to travel. I enjoyed everything there starting with duty free and other shops and ending up with the toilets.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"an amazing surprise"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Keflavik, an amazing surprise! I’ve been there before, the last time 2 years ago, everything has changed! I was in Keflavik on the 31/12 departing for LGW with Icelandair. The airport looks completely new, nice shops, bar and restaurants. Everything is well organised and explained. They added 2 new smoking lounge after security check! Amazing!
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Most unhelpful airport"

Not Verified | Most unhelpful airport. There is no information point and no staff available to ask, the check in desks are only staffed for brief times for boarding passengers, there is literally no one to ask for help or guidance. In desperation we went into Icelandair's reception/shop - they couldn’t have been less helpful, very dismissive and abrupt. How disappointing is that, the National airline too snooty to help travellers! After a wonderful holiday at a great hotel, with many amazing grips and being astounded at the beauty of Iceland the airport was a complete let down .
Date VisitDecember 2017

"chaotic and shambolic"

Unverified | Awful airport experience. I have flown out of this airport twice now and both times it has been chaotic and shambolic. On the most recent visit we had checked in online - which is pointless with their system as you have to print your own baggage labels. The machine did not print the labels so we asked for help - the helper tried (once) but could not make another machine work either - so directed us to the normal check in desk process. This required waiting in an extremely long queue. I have travelled to many countries / many airports in the world - and this is definitely the worst. When you first arrive it resembles a "disaster" zone rather than an airport. Noisy, chaotic, all over the place, unhelpful helpers. As the gateway to a great country and great holiday the management really do need to visit other airports and see how it is done.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"Not a great experience"

Unverified | Perhaps I’m alone in this experience or it has something to do with it being 6am, but the staff beyond check in were very grumpy, disrespectful and in one case, outright antagonistic. Not a great experience. Coupled with a chaotic check in, I had a terrible time. Signage was actually pretty good though.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Good options of restaurants"

Unverified | Very smooth and friendly check-in, security and passport control procedures. Good options of restaurants. At peak times the boarding area gets really crammed but one can always wait at a nearby café. Liked its mid-sized aspect. Boarding a bus to the aircraft can be considered as a drawback but it gives an opportunity to experience the icelandic pure fresh air!
Date VisitOctober 2017