Vote Now

Keflavik Airport

"wasn't enough seating for everyone"

Verified Review | We recently flew WOW Air from Toronto to Copenhagen and had connecting flights from Keflavik Airport both ways. Our Toronto-Copenhagen connection was fine, except that our plane was parked far from the terminal and we needed a shuttle bus. We were there early in the morning, there was no one around and almost everything was closed. The washrooms are fabulous, as other reviewers have mentioned. However, our Copenhagen-Toronto connection was an entirely different story. We see that the airport is undergoing renovations/expansion. However, arriving at Keflavik mid-day, with many other flights arriving and departing, is a miserable experience. We were at the departures area and it was packed. There wasn't enough seating for everyone. The snack shop chaos looked like something you'd expect at a Boxing Day sale, with lines of about 20-30 people waiting for a cashier. We couldn't even buy the expensive sandwiches because there wasn't enough time to get through the line (we weren't there last-minute) and we were hungry. The washrooms were still fabulous, but there was a big line-up for the one drinking fountain in the area, everyone seemed to want to avoid paying for water (us included). The worse thing about the experience was the smell of cigarette smoke everywhere in the departure area. It brings to mind the days of old when that was commonplace, only the airport is supposed to be smoke-free. Hopefully with the renovations there will be a designated smoking area that is far from the building entrances, it was just terrible.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"one of the best airports I have visited"

Lovely clean airport, arrival and departures had no problems. Duty free shops were easy to navigate. Didn't try food or drink as our coach arrived late at the airport. Toilets were the cleanest I have come across. Queuing was minimal, security was very organised. One of the best airports I have visited.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"staff were very friendly and helpful"

(Finland)

Verified Review | After reading some of the reviews on this site I thought that it would take forever from the moment I arrived to the airport to clearing security. I was very wrong. Even though my flight was during the busy early morning period it took just 1/2 hour total. That time includes checking a piece of luggage before going to security. The airport staff were very friendly and helpful when I asked them questions about how and where to check my luggage. Yes, there were long lines before security but they move relatively fast. As for lack of seating, another complaint on this site about many airports, I didn't find that problem at Keflavik. This is my second time in Iceland and so far so good. I will back at Keflavix in about 4 months but this time I will not believe any of the bad reports I have read about it.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"toilets to dream for"

Verified Review | Two transits in February on way to the US from London. Smart little airport. Excellent free wifi and toilets to dream for! The best I have ever seen at an airport. Food and drink expensive and a bit limited but free drinking water available as well for a refill. No secondary security for transit which is good. Bus to the aircraft on one occasion and driver was attentive to check all doors were secure and that the icy tarmac had been salted before passengers entered. This small effort was actually impressive. Would be pleased to transit KEF again. And some stunning scenery before landing. The only negative thing about KEF is the lack of seating at boarding gates which is very limited. Most people sitting on the floor for transit periods. And well done with the "outdoor" style smoking areas.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"impossible to find the gate information online in advance"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Recently on a trip from Finland to the US I only had 40 minutes from one gate to the other. First, it is impossible to find the gate information online in advance. This means dashing out of one plane to look for monitors and next dash to the departure gate. Secondly, if one is traveling to the US there are 2 more "passport" checks to go (and I am a US citizen). In one of the the queues people are lined up on some stairs. What about people that have problems standing or walking? Maybe Iceland is only for fit, sporty people. No problem with that, but then they should advertise that if you are not fit then don't go there. Iceland is a beautiful country, the Airport needs to improve a lot so it doesn't leave a sour taste to otherwise a nice experience.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"the majority of staff don’t like to help passengers"

Verified Review | My mother and I arrived at Keflavik airport at around 6am on Friday 28 October 2016 nearly two hours before our flight F1494 was due to leave for Birmingham airport. We’d travelled from Keflavik 18 months previously and had one of the worst experiences at any airport we’ve visited in over 30 years of worldwide travel – we were hoping it had improved since then. Whilst I would say it has improved slightly, they still have a long way to go before it can be said that Keflavik is a welcoming airport. We went to join the lengthy queue for Icelandair so as to check in but we were informed by a dour looking female member of staff that we had to print out our own boarding passes before we could join the queue for this operation. As neither Mum nor myself are technically minded I asked two other female members of staff if they could help us? One of them just walked off. I have noticed that the majority of staff at Keflavik don’t like to help passengers as it prevents them talking to their colleagues. The other lady was new to the job and was hoping to make a good impression, so she assisted us – let’s hope it stays that way. I’d advise all passengers to arrive well in advance of their flight time as all the queues are long and if you get in the wrong one you are in trouble. The queue from customs was so long it stretched to the top of the stairs and lift exit, which prevented people from getting out. This must surely be a health and safety risk? All of the places to eat were full and there are very few seats elsewhere, so be prepared for a lot of standing, especially when waiting at the boarding gate as there are several flights waiting to be boarded in the same small space. The airport could definitely benefit from expansion as at best it’s a shambles, at worst – chaos, but more than that, the staff need to stop seeing travellers as an inconvenience and realise it’s part of their job to be of assistance. If staff don’t want to do what is expected of them then maybe they should ask themselves if they are in the right job and if not, let someone else do it (and that doesn’t mean the passengers!) I would love to visit Reykjavik more often but the thought of having to go through Keflavik at the end of a hopefully enjoyable holiday more than puts me off. Iceland is becoming more and more popular for visitors and the people I’ve met in Reykjavik have been amongst the friendliest in the world, but their fellow countrymen and women at Keflavik let them down big time. All staff could do with a thorough performance management check and, if necessary, be sent for further training so they can be made fully aware that they should be approachable, helpful, courteous and patient, something that sadly they are still miles away from.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"Utter Chaos"

Verified Review | Utter Chaos. More than an hour and half from arriving to getting through security. Snaking queues of confused passengers everywhere. Not enough signs. Ground staff were trying their best but clearly the shambolic nature of passing through this airport is common as they were very well practised at giving instructions. There were up to 6 planes due to take off at any one time which clearly isn't possible and ensured that the airport was packed. Get there early would be my advice. And bring a book.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"not equipped for large passenger numbers"

An expensive airport even for Icelandic prices. Stressful waiting for flight because of continual drilling and machinery noise. Easyjet boarding announcements confusing as they omitted destination! Poor seating arrangements and lack of seating mean this airport is not equipped for large passenger numbers. Too much space allowed for money making restaurants, duty free shops and gift areas.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"there is extremely limited seating"

This is the story of the little airport that could. KEF has always been a very efficent airport for arrivals, departures and transits. However, with the recent massive increase in tourism to Iceland with so many new flights, it has been a testing time for KEF. Last week, we arrived during the morrning rush from 0630-0730 but even so the wait for Immigration was less than 10 minutes. Customs was a walk through. On departure, also during the height of the busy time in the afternoon, security took less than 5 minutes and passport control to North America had no line. The problem is that at the gate areas, after passport control there is extremely limited seating. This does need to be addressed but as the airport completes more gates over the next year, the crowding will be diminished. There is still the need to bus people to and from aircraft and yesterday it was efficient. Not the best airport in the world but way better than most US airports.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"confusing signage, too many stairs"

What a mess. Went through here twice - once at 4am and once at 2pm. You'd think a small airport like this would be easy to use, but it's not. Confusing signage, too many stairs, not enough chairs. While boarding, rather than sitting in a nearby boarding area and waiting for your section of the plane to board, everyone lines up in the hallway for at least 30 minutes before a flight. It's not so bad at 4am, but at 2pm all the planes for WOW get in and go out at the same time, and the departure area is crammed with people in long, very slow-moving lines attempting to buy food and board planes. I had about 90 minutes to connect between flights and tried to buy a sandwich and drinks in the airport cafe before a flight, but gave up because the line was so long that I knew I wouldn't be able to do it before my plane left. When you offload from a plane, everyone is routed through the duty-free area in the hopes that you'll buy something. The problem is the people shopping block the ones trying to get out of the arrivals area, which causes a human traffic jam.