Keflavik Airport

"Extremely rude staff"

Not Verified | Extremely rude staff and environment. They are not willing to help with directions on how to get to gates or help if you are trying to catch a connecting flight after landing late. We were instructed to go to the back of the passport control line after asking if we can get ahead of people. Though multiple people on the same connecting flight were doing this, we were the only ones to be sent to the back of the line, and when we tried to explain our flight was already boarding, we were told “too bad, everyone is in the same boat.” I will make sure to never fly through this airport again. Disgusting.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"never been to such an unpleasant airport"

Not Verified | I have travelled the world but never been to such an unpleasant airport. Everything was automated with nobody to help you when things went wrong. The result was I checked in my baggage but didn’t get the boarding pass. Nobody to help me with that. An hour later I got that, then had to face security where I was told off rudely for not taking off my watch. Gate number announced - no seats there so everyone on the floor. Woman comes after a while and makes us all go out and come back in. Need I say more? Unfortunately I am returning to Iceland next year. Maybe there will be some pleasant help by then but I doubt it. Shocking place.
Date VisitJune 2018

"the worst staff I've ever experienced"

Not Verified | I was just trying to ask some information about public transport to go to the city center at the information center, I did research and I just wanted to know how to get to the bus stop. A staff at the info booth talked down to me, looked like he was kind of annoyed about people asking similar questions all the time. He told me to take the expensive direct bus and ignore my questions about the bus stop. No further explanation or whatever. I am a frequent traveller and thats the worst staff I've ever experienced.

"Simply dreadful"

Trip Verified | Simply dreadful. No seats at the gate, people sitting on the floor. 2 gates open for the BA check-in, despite a queue that went out the door. I was eighth in line and waited 45 minutes. Automatic passport checking machines don't work. Everyone who was trying to get through had to get help. Miles to walk to get to the gates and no travelators, but of course the shopping area is fine. Lots of space and lots of staff. That just shows what their real priority is. Get your money and to hell with customer service.

"Unfriendly and rude"

Trip Verified | Unfriendly and rude customer service. This way you go away and don't bother them. Whatever problem you have, it is your fault. Safety, they bus you out to the plane and an older passenger fell off the bus and the attendant just looked at the passenger and did nothing to help as she stood next to the stairs that leads to the plane which you had to walk up.

"treated cruelly"

Not Verified | 35 weeks pregnant but treated cruelly! I asked the airport personnel to give me some kind of priority as there was a very long line for luggage pickup since I was very exhausted. He told me I am no different and have to line up like the others. No chair around. Asked another for help to load my luggage on trolley but signaled he is in a hurry. Not even helping pregnant women! Very disappointed!
Date VisitJune 2018

"Flights are constantly delayed or cancelled"

Trip Verified | I mean is this the worst airport in the world? Yes, yes it probably is. At least when it comes to anything with an actual paved runway. Flights are constantly delayed or cancelled. Happened to us on 2/4 of our flights. The food is terrible and way overpriced. For 3 hot dogs, 2 bags of tiny personal size chips and 2 drinks (no alcohol) just water and soda it was $36. And the hot dogs weren’t even good! The gate we were at had exactly 1 two person bench for a flight with over 80 people so that was fun with a 3 year old with us. Absolutely no boarding procedures. There was a huge group of people huddled together in which they had everyone cram onto a shuttle bus and then close all the doors and lock everyone in said bus for 20 minutes before driving us to the plane. The worst experience and airport I’ve seen in my 20 years of flying commercially. Will not be back which is a shame since we talked about visiting Iceland on one of our next trips, but if flying with Icelandair or into their terrible airport is involved that will never happen.
Date VisitJune 2018

"leaving with a horrible taste in our mouth"

Trip Verified | The most pathetic excuse of an international airport I have ever seen. Very unfortunate given how great our experience in Iceland was. Now we are leaving with a horrible taste in our mouth because of how infuriating the airport security was. Staff had no clue what was going on and nearly every bag was selected for additional inspection. I saw multiple travelers wait while their bag was rescanned 3+ times for absolutely no reason. Embarrassing!
Date VisitJune 2018

"KEF is seriously undersized"

Trip Verified | KEF is seriously undersized for the amount of traffic it handles now. It doesn't have nearly enough gates, so most flights are handled by buses to the terminal. That is fine if you have plenty of time between flights, but hardly anyone does. It adds to the stress by an order of magnitude to have to bus to/from the plane. As a gateway into/out of Europe, KEF has to handle passport control. With all flights arriving and departing within the same hour, that is really hard to do efficiently. Bottlenecks at Security add to the stress again. I used to love going through KEF - it is a smaller airport, and the Saga Lounge is pleasant. But, no more - didn't have time to even take a comfort break, let alone the Saga lounge. And the airport too small for its purpose now. Won't fly through here again until they make some serious upgrades.

"unorganized and unsanitary"

Trip Verified | Very unorganized and unsanitary. I went to use the restroom in my boarding area and there was no toilet paper in the restrooms and there was mess all over the toilets. I let an airport employee know about the conditions of the bathroom and she told me there was nothing she could do about it. Guess I’ll just hold it, right?