Keflavik Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 23rd June 2015

I used KeflavĂ­k for both transit outbound as well as departure and arrival inbound as I had a stopover. It is an extremely easy airport to transit at as well as arrive and departure. Transiting was a breeze as I arrived in the same terminal area I would be departing for my onwards connect. Staff could be a little friendlier, I was randomly selected for extra security there was a distinct lack of warmth on this front. In terms of amenities they have improved - toilets were clean and new and even had the nice touch of Air Blade taps. I found Departure and Arrival relatively straightforward even at busy times it is fairly easy and quick to navigate the airport although there are some long walking distances to some gates from the main departure area which has the food and shopping area. A lot of complaints here seem to be about the food being expensive and whilst there isn't massive amount choice of outlets you have to remember the size of the airport. I found what I had there of really good quality (better than most airports) and acceptable value (no worse than most airports).
Date Visit23-05-2015

Review by (United States) 17th June 2015

A wonderful weekend in Iceland left many thoughts of a return visit in the future - until our departure from Keflavik. For some reason they had an exit passport control for U.S flights after you have gone through security. Then there was a separate queue for two agents to check boarding passes again and randomly select individuals for an extra security check. While not selected, we were told by others this took take an extra 10-20 minutes. Then we got to our departure gate that was in very close proximity to three other gates with outgoing flights. There are very few seats and total chaos for people trying to figure out where to stand for their gate which of course, noticeably increases stress levels. There were no staff helping to organize the queues. We still look forward to returning to the Blue Lagoon, a wonderful experience, but will probably wait until there is considerable improvement to the airport.
Date Visit16-06-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 13th May 2015

Arrived at Keflavik airport on Sunday 5th April 2015 and found my way to the FlyBus without any hassle but the return journey on Thursday 9th April was not so smooth. My mother and I plus several other EasyJet passengers had to ask where the check in desk was as it was not clearly sign posted and the airport was very busy with long queues. After waiting at the Baggage Drop off I was told when I reached the desk that as I only had hand luggage I didn't need to be at that desk! It would be very helpful if there could be a sign saying that passengers flying with just hand luggage may proceed to wherever they have to go next rather than stand in a queue they needn't be in. Also could there be signs (or maybe a friendly human) informing passengers when they need to have their passport/boarding pass ready so that they don't hold the queue up any more than need be. Plus signs well in advance saying what items need to be taken out of their luggage before its scanned as again that can cause unnecessary delays. Finally could ALL airport staff remember that they do their job every day and know the routine but a lot of the travellers going through this airport may be nervous or first time flyers in a different country or tired from a long haul or early flight and would appreciate being treated with courtesy and having any problems dealt with politely. Travellers can be stopped from flying if they are aggressive or rude to staff so could airport workers return the courtesy as good manners cost nothing but go a long way. Also could the toilets have either paper towels or hand dryers as there was nothing to dry my hands on!

Review by (Canada) 11th May 2015

We approached Keflavik International Airport as we landed Icelandair cabin crew announced for the first and only time that all arriving passengers must go through security screening before immigration and checked baggage pickup. We had all gone through airport security before boarding this overnight flight in Toronto but no matter. Do it again before entering the country. No liquids allowed. None of the other prohibited things either. So we exited the aircraft stomped down two flights of metal stairs and lined up in a cold hallway for 25 minutes slowly moving forward before even getting to the back-and-forth cattle pens in front of the scanners for another 20 minutes. Our flight crew walked past smiling at us. Carry-on bags and all other personal items into the bins and thru the x-ray scanner then walk through the metal detector to meet the guy with the hand wand device you know the routine. But why? We were not connecting we were staying in-country. When I asked why this incoming security the first response was 'I don't know. We are told to do it.' I have landed in London Paris Lisbon Madrid Frankfurt and Rome and never been subjected to this type of incoming security. The screening of incoming passengers convinced me this would be the first last and only time I ever visit Iceland. I attended my conference and left with the normal exit security. Our Icelandair flight boarded from Gate 25 which contained three (3) seats and a pale strip-wood floor on which most people sat. Keflavik touts itself as the best airport in Europe. Best at what is not stated certainly not hospitality to arriving visitors. However not only is there duty free shopping at the departure area of the terminal but also at arrivals - probably so you can restock what you had to throw out at incoming security.

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th March 2015

Arrived and departed mid morning with very few annoyances. It is rather a long walk to/from non-Schengen flights but apart from that it was a good experience: no queues for passport checks or security efficient staff reasonable selection of shops and cafes plenty of seating. The bus into Reykjavik is fairly expensive but it is a 45 minute journey and it runs efficiently. Iceland is a great place to visit and I felt Keflavik serves it well.

Review by (United Kingdom) 24th February 2015

Keflavik is a poor medium sized airport. Our flight landed on time during a blizzard (runway fine) but the simplest thing attaching a jetway took 1 hour. Baggage took another 30 mins waiting which was unacceptable. On departing check in only opened 2 hours before which needs to be changed to 03.30. Check in was acceptable in speed and queuing. However security docent open until 05:00 which I think is doing the airport harm as 4 flights leave at the same time with barely little shopping time. Boarding was OK and the flight left on time. I am not recommending this airport due to poor arrival and the need to open things a little earlier. Arrived 16/2/15 Departed 20/2/15 Travelled with WOW.
Facilities N/A

Review by (United States) 12th July 2014

Came in at 10.30 pm from Paris with a 10.5 hour layover to NY. Had to get bags and go through customs no one was there so you just walk through (why bother?). Once through customs you are now outside and have to recheck in to get back in to departure area where it is nice. However check in closes at night and they will not let you check in more than 2.5 hrs before flight. So now you are stuck in a closed up building with 6 chairs and the floor with 100+ other people waiting and sleeping everywhere. No wait a minute they have signs saying no Sleeping/Camping or Cooking on the property with security to make sure! No one working at the airport seemed to have any answers or even care. It was a blessing to have the Coffee shop open early in the morning. The trip to Paris we came through this airport and it was a good experience in departure area with an 1.5 layover we were excited to be going back with a long layover to be able to see what Iceland had to offer for a possible future trip there. We felt more like cattle than Human! This was buy far the worst travel experience my wife and I have ever had. Lessons learned 1) Will never go to this airport or Iceland again. 2) Will not Fly Icelandair again. 3) No more long lay overs at any airports in any countries.

Review by (Canada) 25th June 2014

Was quiet when I landed security cleared 150 people within 20 min. Bathrooms were excellent seating limited and am thankful that my flight was the only one boarding as I can see how 2 in the same area could be really confusing for people trying to line up.

Review by (United Kingdom) 15th November 2013

LGW-KEF return with WOW Air. A good arrival experience modern clean looking airport with minimum walk times extremely quiet and empty with baggage offloaded very quickly. Easy connections to downtown Reykjavik. On departure: crowded check-in but queues moved relatively quickly. However security queue moved slowly staff not consistent in asking passengers to remove boots and snow shoes causing hold-ups. Plenty of shops and cafes and again a very quiet time at the airport. Seating areas at the gates very limited and cramped. Impressed with the airport minor improvements needed but would use again.

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th June 2013

Keflavik sells itself on being the small airport with big connections. It's certainly that. All flights are scheduled to arrive/depart same time in order to minimise wait times which is good but means long queues at security taciturn and quite frankly rude staff. Restaurants are full to bursting long queues (Icelandair - main carrier charges for meals so most people buy at the airport). There is a very confusing passport control system dead ends poor signage and lack of toilets. Gate area is a kind of rabbit warren on stilts with corridors the size of a school hallway; it's hard to know where to go. Being Iceland it's organised chaos so nothing actually goes wrong just that you will feel your blood boil and stress levels will go off the scale - just what you want as you settle in to your long haul flight.