Best Economy Class Seats

Kansas City Airport

"I'm ashamed of this airport"

I am from Kansas City and I'm ashamed of this airport. It hasn't changed since it was designed in the 70s. The terminals are corridors with too few seats, charging stations, bathrooms and food and shopping options. I have to make sure my phone has a full charge before I arrive. I hate having to spend anytime in the airport when I come home. As the first impression visitors get of Kansas City, the tourist board and Better Buisness Bureau and Governing bodies of Kansas City need to wake up.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"ambience sorely lacking"

I love Kansas City and have family there so fly in and out frequently, often combining the visit with trips to other cities. When will it get an upgrade? 1) When making a connection at MCI it is necessary to exit security go into the main airport and then re-enter security (unless you depart from the same gate as arrival). Once in my seat and settled, items from my 3oz liquids bag (lotions, lipcreams and other toiletries) are removed, water bottle is filled, and generally I know that even when there is a connection I can disembark, zoom over to my next flight without repacking and not worry about going through security again. 2) No TSA precheck available at any security entry. 3) Have visited every restaurant. Food selection is pretty miserable everywhere. Try finding a restaurant that has a salad with green lettuce - not iceberg - lettuce or any vegetables. Or anything that isn't fried. AC settings keep you frigid. Ambience sorely lacking. Service friendly and efficient. MCI is an international airport. Uncertain how efficient arrivals in that area are.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"deserve much better"

Of all the major hubs, this is the worst. No TSA Pre, inadequate cramped waiting and seating. Obvious they don't want to improve or expand. Tiny airports around the country are nicer than this. Too bad for the nice people who live and work here. They deserve much better.
Date VisitJune 2016

"ugly, and tired"

Kansas City. The only thing good about this airport is you can get in and out very fast. Security lines are usually quick and if you don't check in any luggage, you can go from your seat to the curb in 3 minutes, which is un-heard of anywhere else for an airport this size. I will say though the staff here are always kind, professional, and helpful. This includes, security, airline staff, to the custodians. That's where all of the good stops. If you have a layover here, you will want to drink yourself to oblivion. But here's the catch, no alcohol in the terminal area unless you leave the secure area, and then re-enter the secure area by enduring a wait through the security line. Which depending on the day can mean 3 minutes, or an hour+. Food options in the terminal are pathetic. There are food kiosks that charge the most expensive prices on food and water I have ever seen in the U.S. Since you have no options, they know you are trapped. And as a result, you have to pay $4 to $5 for a bottle of water. Don't try to use a restroom after you go through security. Use the restrooms before going through security. You may not be able to relieve yourself in time if you try to use the one stall within the security area. The airport itself appears to be a fallout shelter with glass all around. It's ugly, and tired. The terrazzo floors are cool looking (if you are into that sort of thing) however the carpeting areas and seats look and feel tired. This airport is vintage and in need of a re-do.
Date VisitMay 2016

"has nothing to offer travellers"

The Kansas City International Airport is one of the worst airports I've been to in recent years. It has nothing to offer travelers. There are almost no food options once you arrive for your departing flight. If you happen to fly after 8pm there is absolutely nothing open. No vending, no magazines, no fast food is open or close. The staff at the counter told us we were too early with our bags to check and to come back 1 hour before the flight takes off. Her reason was she didn't want to get our luggage on the wrong flight. Isn't that what tags are for? We came back and stood in line for 20 min and almost missed checked bags. There were people who needed help with damaged bags and found no other place to get help than the check in line! We then had to get our bags tagged then carry them over to a scanner to have them checked. Once you go through security you are corralled in a small area with one vendor. They have water, soda, and sometimes cold food items. There is one bathroom once in this area and no space to walk around. This area is also the exit for arriving planes. The people arriving can't even figure out how to get out of there. Overall Kansas City International Airport was a terrible experience. I will be driving to St Louis next time I want to fly anywhere.
Date VisitApril 2016

"no charging for electric devices"

Beware - if you are flying through Kansas City you may have to change terminals. You have to leave one terminal, catch a bus, and go through security in the the next terminal. If you bought any duty free liquids or gifts in the secure area of your departure airport, they will be confiscated. There is no means to ship anything home if you can't check the items. Once in the secure area of your gate, there is only an over-priced snack stand and no charging stations for electric devices. This is the worst airport I have had the misfortune of passing through.

"signage is scarce"

I fly through airports across the country every week so where do I start in my views of Kansas City Airport? This airport would be better suited to serving a small town with one gate and two departures a day rather than a major U.S. city. If you have to encounter KCI, hope that it is a flight stop and you don't have to leave the plane. Signage is scarce as are bathrooms. The airport is dirty, mouldy and smelly. Places to eat and shop are almost non-existent so a layover is unpleasant. Seating in the gate areas is cramped and often you feel "boxed" into small rooms. To get from gate to gate you often walk through seating in the gates. The worst part is the people working at the airport whether they work at a ticket counter, restaurant, TSA security, or a gate they range from lazy, rude or indifferent. I understand that this airport is a pre 9/11 design and that creates space issues. However, there is no excuse for filthy, dirty, and smelly facilities, poor and inadequate signage, bad lighting, and rude, lazy and indifferent people. Avoid this airport if possible. It is by far the worst airport in the country.
Date VisitApril 2016

"all of the issues remain"

Just to validate the indifference of whoever runs this airport, in 2016 all of the issues remain as, once you cross security, you can't buy a book and you are pretty much locked into a dark, dank crowded mass of humanity with the main men's bathroom having one stall and the further indignation of the cleaning crew closing it on a Friday night at 5pm to clean. They just don't care here and companies thinking of locating should consider that as I stare at the ceiling at lights either so dirty they don't illuminate anything. This place is awful and just to "enhance" the experience, the wifi is terrible too.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"fantastically quick security lines"

I was marooned in Kansas City for 7.5 hours recently. The delays were due to east coast weather and a mechanical issue. Frustrating, but something that just happens in my line of work. Here are my thoughts: MCI is a unique design that works if folks are willing to keep an open mind. This airport is clearly a pre 9/11 design because all of the terminals are within sight of the curb. That is the gift and the curse. First, the curse. Instead of having 1 security line per terminal like a modern terminal, they have a security line for every 4-6 gates. This is a gift (see below) but also a curse because it means that the food/drink/shopping options have to be spread out, especially the ones beyond security. Stated another way, there ain't a whole lot to do once you get past security, or even before security for that matter. The gift part was watching the locals get dropped off and walk 1 minute to the ticketing or baggage drop off, the fantastically quick security lines were comical compared to some airports, and the curb to traveler ratio was fantastic for those trying to catch a shuttle, cab, etc. At the end of the day, being marooned sucks. No amount of shopping, restaurants, or gimmicks is going to change that. You're somewhere you didn't plan on being instead of where you planned on being. You could give me 5 star dining at a 3 star price and I'd still wish I was home.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"process seemed very primitive"

Flew into Kansas City Airport on Southwest Airlines from LAX. I really love the views of lush green countryside as you land into Kansas City. The signs for going to Baggage Claim weren't very good. We struggled to figure out how to get there. Then we asked a security personnel, who opened a door for us (the kind that would ordinarily sound an emergency alarm). The baggage claim area is one of the smallest I have seen of any airport in US. While checking in for our return flight, the airline associate tagged our bags, gave our boarding passes, and then asked us to take our bags to another area for screening. This process seemed very primitive. We were also given a very hard time at this airport during security screening. Since we were travelling with a baby, we had baby food, milk etc, and the TSA person asked us to open sealed bottle. We refused, since once the Pediasure bottle is opened, it must be consumed. So, we had to go through a very thorough pat-down for TSA's peace of mind. I have flown through Kansas City twice, and the security at this airport make it a challenging experience for families travelling with little kids.
Date VisitJuly 2015