Kansas City Airport

Review by (United States) 1st August 2015

Departing from gate 83 in terminal C. Airport is small and quiet. TSA line was short, although they do not have a precheck lane and still have to remove electronics from bags. Once past TSA you feel like a captive with about 3 hidden power outlets shared between 5 gates. Only one small kiosk for snacks and drinks. Nowhere to work on a laptop. Not a good place to be stuck with a delay.
Date Visit30-07-2015

Review by (United States) 25th July 2015

Dirtiest and most crowded airport I have been in in a long time. Changed planes at Southwest terminal. Hurried off plane to find a long line out the bathroom door. Walked all the way to other end of terminal to find another bathroom. There was a line there as well, but it was shorter. Terminal smelt mouldy and mustey. Carpet was soiled and patchy. I cannot believe that KC politicians and business leaders stand for this. Business travellers know what a dump this place is.
Date Visit25-07-2015

Review by (United States) 9th March 2015

Worst airport I have been in for a while. We travel often especially in the last year. I understand TSA needs to keep us safe but the people at this airport are lazy. At the beginning of the line there should have been a sign telling us what to do and everyone in that line should follow the same rules. I have not had to take my shoes off in any airport in the last year. No sign indicated shoes or boots needed to be removed. The people in front of me and behind me were allowed to wear their shoes. I have a Cpac. I have not been asked for years to take it out of the bag. Sometimes they ask me to open the bag which I am happy to do. I was traveling holding a five month old and my daughter with her three year. They decide I have to take the Cpac out while trying to hold the baby right when I get to the x-ray machine so I have to get another tub. Then he decides I and my daughter must take off our boots holding the baby. Not at the beginning of the line where the tubs are but right at the x-ray machine. I go through the machine and now he wants to test my fingers and makes me hold onto to the baby. The agents are all around talking among themselves and it takes several minutes to get someone over to test my hands while holding the baby! In addition we found a ladies purse and were kind enough to try to turn it in and security made us walk all over the place trying to give it to someone. It would have been easier to leave it where it was and I don't understand security would not take it from us. Lastly there is no place for a mother to nurse her baby in private. My daughter needed to nurse her baby and had to wait to exit the airport to do so.

Review by (United States) 7th August 2014

I travel for my job and KCI has to be one of the worst airports I have been through. Directional signage throughout the airport is difficult to find and not clear. When I departed my plane upon arriving in Kansas City I was unable to find my way out of the gate area. There was no sign directing me where to go. When arriving at the airport at the end of my trip the security signs directed passengers to choose the right or left line; however the agent was partial to taking people from the right line rather than alternating lines. The gate areas have very little seating unless you want to walk and sit at another gate. The corridors in the entire airport are narrow and make it difficult to move around as you are always in someone's way. The bathrooms are lacking all around and they are filthy. There is a very slim selection of food options so the lines are extremely long and the staff rude. I saw unattended bags in the seating area at the gate while three men who appeared to be TSA agents stood about 10 feet away. I will avoid flying through this airport.

Review by (United States) 6th July 2014

This airport needs to be refurbished all around. I'm handicapped and in a wheelchair. I had to use the restroom. I was traveling by myself. They have no way for disabled people to first even get the door open then when you get in there the stall is not big enough to get the wheelchair in the stall. It was not fun and ended up taking me three times the length of time it should of. In this day and age with Ada regulations this airport should not even be open. The skycap who got me through the airport with my wheelchair was rude and nasty. If you are that kind of person get a different job and stop working with the public.

Review by (United States) 3rd July 2014

There are good things and bad things about the set up of this airport. The biggest plus is the small size which makes it easy to get to where you need to go without having to walk through long sections of stores restaurants lounges etc. However that's because they don't have those amenities except for a couple so if you are a seasoned traveler who expects those you're out of luck. There isn't any real connection to public transportation here (only buses in KC) so you have to take a taxi use a shuttle to your hotel or pay to park in the lot and take a shuttle to and from the lot to the airport. The bathrooms are generally clean and not busy. The waiting areas are small but I've never seen it too crowded either. Security is right there at the waiting area so there's little walking you need to do between entering the airport and getting to your gate. The airline availability here is not ideal but it's adequate to get by. Basically if you aren't expecting to spend much time at the airport it can be quite nice to breeze in run through security and sit down ready to board your flight. If you are used to the amenities of bigger airports expect to be disappointed. Although there is talk of a huge billion dollar plus expansion to be done at the airport but that all depends on whether the people here want their tax dollars to pay for it and so far the attitude has not been positive.

Review by (United States) 23rd June 2014

This is the single worst American airport I have ever in 19 years of business travel flown in and out of. Seriously such major hubs as Kalamazoo Grand Rapids MI and Columbus OH have far more amenities than this run- down place. To have to walk outside to get to a bus stop to ride 10 minutes to rental car lot reminds me of Harare Zimbabwe. The rental car building is a gleaming beacon of modernity compared to "Terminal B". Whatever airport authority and elected reps have a hand in the place are really doing a major metro area a shameful disservice.

Review by (United States) 16th June 2014

MCI is a throwback to the mid-20th century in the worst possible way. No thought has been given to the comfort and convenience of passengers. If future plans force me to visit K.C. I plan to fly into St. Louis and drive across Missouri.

Review by (United States) 10th February 2014

Kansas City MCI has the unfortunate distinction of being built as a 'next generation' airport in the early 1970's. Back then travelers hopped out of a car and walked to straight to the gate in 50 steps or less. Times have changed. We now have security to deal with and MCI is not equipped to deal with the new realities. Once you clear security you are trapped in a very confined crowded low ceiling bad ventilation waiting area with almost non existent food or drink choices. I've seen bus waiting rooms with more amenities. The Airport authority is truly in a bind. What do they do? Re-design the airport and spend $ they do not have? It is an unfortunate position for all concerned.

Review by (United States) 28th January 2014

Worst airport for security lines. No TSA pre-check. No priority access. 30 plus minutes to get through security on consecutive Monday mornings. Upgrades can't come fast enough.