Kansas City Airport

"the worst major airport in America"

Verified Review | If you like having zero options for food (or paying $10 for a cold and stale sandwich), having to go through security to use the bathroom, and being in extremely close proximity to people going through security checks as you connect to your next flight, Kansas City Airport is the place for you. This is easily the worst major airport I've ever been to. There are only two restaurants, and both somehow seemed like 1 and 1A for the title of "Saddest Place on Earth". When your best food option is a microwaved sandwich from Starbucks, you know you're in a whole new level of suck. Also, for some odd reason, half of the airport is walled off and is inaccessible to the general populous. Why? Good question. This isn't Westeros. I have heard from locals that the airport provides easy in and out access, which could possibly be true. But the fact that this place hasn't been updated since the 70's is incredible, and the shocking lack of restaurants and cleanly bathrooms make Kansas City International seem like the worst major airport in America.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"gate seating area is inadequate"

Verified Review | I'm sitting in the B gates area now waiting out a 3 hour weather delay. The women's restroom for all B gates only has 3 stalls. There was no soap, paper towels, or toilet paper. Southwest has put in charging stations, but the actual airport offers few, if any. To get to nicer food or restroom options, be prepared to leave security and be re screened in order to get to your flight. The gate seating area is inadequate for a full flight of passengers. Be prepared to camp out on the floor.
Date VisitJune 2017

"transfer procedure totally outdated and unacceptable"

Verified Review | I arrived American Eagle terminal C at Kansas City Airport, and had a departure connection with Alaska Airlines (SkyWest) terminal B. I had to exit the airport, take a shuttle bus and go back through TSA security. The airport was crowded and very confusing. I travel a minimum of 4 times a year and at age 77 I am quite capable of getting around with ease and understand directions. All airport employees, bus drivers, and airline agents were very friendly and helpful in a difficult situation as I had a short connection time. Once I arrived at terminal B, I immediately went to the Alaska Airline customer counter. The agent printed up a new boarding pass with TSA pre-check printed and marked with yellow highlighter. The agent then escorted myself and several others to the TSA check point, and explained to the TSA agent that the plane was in boarding process. The TSA check line was backed up. The agent explained they were not equipped for TSA Precheck and we would go through the routine boarding process. I followed instructions removing my CPAP machine from the original case, before placing it on the screening belt. Removed my shoes, and proceeded through the screen machine. I set it off and explained I was wearing suspenders, I was told to go back, another agent came up saw my suspenders, and politely explained to her co-worker I was wearing suspenders. I was told to go back through the screen machine, of course I set it off again. After lifting my shirt and showing the agent once again the suspenders the agent said put your shirt down (I was wearing a t-shirt under the suspenders) so no skin was showing. Another agent than began the long process of explaining the pat down all the while the plane was boarding. The agent commenced with the pat down process. His pat down was humiliating. Once I boarded the plane several passangers remarked "they sure gave you tough time". The work load on TSA would be greatly reduced if MCI Airport could make it so it is not necessary to go through security when changing terminals from one airline to another. The current transfer procedure is totally outdated and unacceptable.
Date VisitMay 2017

"departure gates are crowded and noisy"

Verified Review | This airport reminded me of other woefully inadequate facilities like LaGuardia. The circular terminal building was never meant to have the secure area splitting the length of the entire concourse. Travelers in transit have to exit the sterile area for the larger bathrooms and better food choices. The departure gates are crowded and noisy. This place is awful, and I'll avoid connections here in the future.
Date VisitMay 2017

"my hometown airport has deteriorated"

Verified Review | I am a Kansas City resident who travels frequently for my job so am very familiar with other airports around the country. I am appalled at how far my hometown airport has deteriorated. The bathrooms are despicable! Filthy and in disrepair every single time I travel which is 2 to 3 times per month. The food choices are sparse and extremely expensive as compared to other airports. It's time KC woke up and does something about the airport.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"this place is awful"

Verified Review | This place is awful. I feel as though I am in a cattle yard. Having to go through security just to use the restroom is ridiculous. Talk about deterring people from flying. 1 bathroom "inside" the wall to service passengers is bogus. I will never fly through this aiport again. Avoid this place, even if it means paying more for a non-stop ticket. Lesson learned.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"a terrible place to get stuck"

Kansas City is easily the worst major airport I have seen. What a disgrace. Uncomfortable, poorly lit, horrible food options (a little snack vendor once clear of TSA). Just a terrible place to get stuck waiting for an hour or so.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"poor lighting, poor food option, depressing"

Very poor design. I got maneuvered out of the gates area and had to go through security again. Poor lighting, poor food option, depressing. The food was outrageously expensive. I saw a woman try to buy a sandwich for $10.00, she was so shocked she returned it.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"crowded, with inadequate, old seating"

We could hardly believe how awkward and confusing it was to arrive and transfer to another plane. We almost mistakenly left the secure area as we disembarked. The airport was crowded, with inadequate, old seating. The one bathroom available in terminal B had too long of a line. What a choice:. Do we use the bathroom or miss our flight? Very little food was available. We will avoid this airport in the future!
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"little after the security"

Verified Review | There is some debate around this airport. There is TSA prechecked, other reviews said none, at the Delta gates for 56-60 and there was a longer queue there than I have seen at any other airport. There is very little after the security except a bottle of water less than a liter for more than $5 and I could not find any water fountain. Small and narrow in a rainbow shape. Even the check in for Sky priority was slower than everyone else.
Date VisitSeptember 2016