Top 100 Airports

Johannesburg Airport

"what a shambles"

It took 2 hours to clear passport control yesterday. We arrived with two hours to spare to catch our connecting flight to Cape Town. After an hour in the queue, I attempted to speak to one of the staff who are all based at the front of the queue. I was greeted with the usual emotionless face and told that once I have my passport stamped, I should contact information to find out about my missed flight. There were only 3 people coping with the massive queue and all of them were as miserable as sin. What a welcome to SA. Fortunately, Lufthansa managed to get us on another flight but we would've paid for it if our flight hadn't been delayed. What a shambles.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"unable to cope with numbers"

(New Zealand)

Three and a half hours to get through immigration. Place seem totally unable to cope with numbers. Insufficient staff and poor systems. Queue was backed up to the door when staff finally responded by opening new kiosks for arriving passengers that frustrated those who had been in the queue for up to three hours already.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"worst airport experience I've ever had"

The immigration queue in Johannesburg took an hour and 50 minutes to clear. Half the desks weren't manned. The crowd started to get out of control, pushing and shouting. It's an embarrassment for South Africa to have such poor airport service - especially when there were plenty of staff around just not working at the counters. It's the worst airport experience I've ever had in 20 years of flying.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"the queue suddenly stopped"

Arrived from Turkish Airlines after a good flight. My wife is South African, so she went through Passport Control for South Africans. I am Irish, so instead of accompanying her, I decided to do the right thing and go through the "Other Passport Holfers" route. The queue went quite quickly until I was about 15th in line. Then the queue suddenly stopped. A constant stream of passengers suddenly were ushered in front of us. I can only assume that a A380 had just arrived from China, and these people were being given preference over all others. Each one had to complete extra forms before approaching the actual desk, but the desks were being held for them. In total it took over 90 minutes for me to clear Passport Control, with my wife standing on the "outside" of the barrier waiting for me. The rest of the airport is fine, with no complaints (both for arrivals and departures) but the Government red tape is horrendous. I have no option but to pass through Jo'burg as my wife has family there that we visit regularly. But next time I will accompany her through the South African Passport Holders only queue.
Date VisitMay 2016

"system should be clear"

(South Africa)

You cannot hear a word the people are saying over the speaker system. The system should be clear and the people speaking should speak slowly and clearly. The screens stating what flights are boarding, delayed etc were 20 min behind the actual boarding process.
Date VisitJune 2016

"staff not helpful"

(South Africa)

Signage everywhere but not clearly defined. Best is to follow your instincts or research the airport online before going there, so that you know where to go to prior to the time. Staff not helpful. Areas for collection when you care being collected at the airport not clearly marked, so it is a matter of you standing on the curb, so that you are seen, as opposed to level 2, fow B 13 for example, which would be helpful. Give yourself two hours, due to traffic delays to the airport and then to make your way to departures.
Date VisitApril 2016

"was just stared at"

Departed Johannesburg Airport same day as Belgium bombings, security was extremely tight, no problem with that, understandable. No visitors were allowed near check-in, can understand that too, unfortunately I am disabled and was relying on a family member to lift my suitcase onto the weighing belt, asked for help at the desk but was just stared at, fortunately another passenger stepped up to help. No fast track through security for those with walking aids as is at Manchester Airport, the queuing, due to the heightened security alert was horrendously long and slow. No travellators. Be aware that if, god forbid, there is another such global attack, going to the airport 3 hours in advance of take-off may not be long enough. If I'd have known that there was going to be so much queuing and walking beforehand I would have asked for assistance at the time of booking but I didn't. I got to the gate just in time for boarding.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"I was not impressed"

I wonder if the airport is aware of 'porters' wearing orange tops and caps who offer their services without being requested to, approaching unsuspecting travellers offering to help them - yesterday one approached me as I was walking towards domestic departures after having disembarked from an international flight from London. I thought it was a service that the airport offered? However, on walking me to where I was to check in for my domestic flight I was asked for money. I could have found my own way there and was really under the impression that he was an employee of the airport. I only had British pounds on me and he told me that he would accept any currency and wasn't showing any sign of moving away until I had paid him. I was not impressed and will be aware of such a person should I ever have the misfortune to land here again.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"could not hear announcements"

(South Africa)

Usually the airport timing, handling luggage and queuing in my experience is good. Today our flight to Upington was delayed due to bad weather. This is understandable and happens all the time, but the way it was handled by the boarding staff was very confusing. Our flight was delayed by 45min but all notification boards showed no delay. The boarding gate itself showed Upington boarding at the normal time despite the delay call over the intercom. When we all queued to board we were informed it is for another flight, not Upington, although the gate showed Upington. When the lady at the boarding gate saw the confusion she made an announcement over the intercom to clarify the situation but the audio was so unclear the you could not hear what she was saying. A lot of the passengers were complaining they could not hear the announcement. Despite all the confusion all the misleading flight info were left just as it were. Usually I'm satisfied with the airport but today was not a good experience.
Date VisitOctober 2015

"nothing adverse to report"

(Indonesia)

Reading the recent reviews I consider myself fortunate to have used the airport 4 times in a month with nothing adverse to report. I arrived early at 6.00am and was through immigration and collected my luggage in 20 minutes. Domestic departure was fine, security no issue. Arrived back into the domestic terminal and our luggage was already on the carousel. The only confusing part was after International checking in you have to walk behind the desks to get to immigration etc. Plenty of shops and dining options. I paid for the bidvest lounge which was a great way to spend a few hours before the flight.
Date VisitJanuary 2016