Johannesburg Airport

"a jigsaw puzzle of terminals"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Departed on BA054 / 13 AUG 17, JNB-LHR. Johannesburg International (ORTIA) is a jigsaw puzzle of terminals coming from four different boxes! No flowing design structure. Domestic departures + arrivals (beautiful, airy, modern glass buildings), old domestic arrivals section (dark, stark and dirty). International departure check in area (disgusting, busy like a night market, no sunlight, stuffy). Poor airlines - their staff are squashed in a very chaotic workspace! ACSA, international departures needs serious attention! New International departure terminal, Gates and Duty Free areas are however very nice, bright, colourful and spacious. Immigration officials are so-so, not overly friendly and could do with a Customer Services course. Security officials however were very friendly and smiling and processed long queues relatively quickly. Heathrow Terminal 5 report follows.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Very understaffed immigration"

(Brazil)

Unverified | Very understaffed immigration. More than an hour on line to pass immigration, coming from a long flight from Brazil. Staff not supportive. Lack of information. Almost lost my connection. Confusing wifi. Has to reconnect once you move within the airport.
Date VisitJune 2017

"immigration is very understaffed"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Johannesburg airport is a good airport for African standards. It is clean, plenty of seating, and good shopping. However, there are 2 problems that I find very annoying every time I use it: on departure, immigration is very understaffed. I travelled on Saturday, the first day of the Easter school holidays at evening peak time. There were only 5 booths staffed (out of 17) by immigration officers, which resulted in having to close the security screening (just before immigration) every 20 minutes because passengers were piling up in front of the booths. Just to make it clear, the airport is not to blame, but the department of Home Affairs is! It has been like this since I moved to South Africa. On arrival, it is a shame that the airport management does not do anything about the crooks and hawkers standing in the arrival hall, trying to rip-off every single tourist. You don't find this in any other airport in South Africa, so why does Johannesburg tolerate it? I witnessed an american couple paying 20 dollars to get their luggage back from a guy that grabbed it as soon as they passed the door!
Date VisitApril 2017

"chaotic and unorganized airport"

This airport is by far the most chaotic and unorganized airport I have experienced. I showed up for my flight back to the U.S. 3 hours in advance, to give myself ample time (or so I thought). The differentiation between Terminals A and B is very confusing. The immigration line was snaked around the airport about .25 mile outside of the barrier. Once you got through you entered yet another line overflowing with people to screen your baggage. People were hopping barriers, skipping lines, pushing forward without regulation. I ended up missing my flight. There was another flight back to the states that night, leaving in a couple hours. They told me I wouldn't have enough time to make it, even though I had already been through all checkpoints. This is because they already unloaded my bag from the flight I was supposed to be on. Fair enough. I raced back to the opposite end of the airport to collect my baggage and no one could tell me where it was. The airport staff during this time was so unhelpful. Each staff member told me conflicting information than the one before. By the time i got my bag, it was too late. I would have to stay in SA another night. I have never been more frustrated in my life. Additionally, the following day there was a random bag just sitting in the middle of the passport line. Everyone just kept walking around it but no one was claiming it as their own. Finally, I reported it. Leaving your luggage attended is the Cardinal rule of airport traveling. The staff member shrugged it off and said whomever left it would come back for it. The entire situation made me feel extremely uncomfortable.
Date VisitApril 2017

"we managed everything in time"

Verified Review | Although the layout of OR Tambo Airport is a bit confusing, due to the separation of the domestic and the international terminal, we had a smooth transit. I flew from MUC to CPT return with my family and we had to change planes at JNB with only two hours time. Although immigration/emigration took a bit of time, baggage claim did not take too long and security was quite efficient. So in the end, we managed everything in time and even had time left for duty free shopping at low prices!
Date VisitMarch 2017

"the queues were horrendous"

Verified Review | Our flight landed from Cape Town with a two hour change around before our flight to London Heathrow. We have flow from Johannesburg many times and have never experienced such a shambles as we did on Saturday. The queues were horrendous, from the start of security to boarding. The new security system was slow, the passport control was even slower with hardly any staff on to start with, until people in the queues needed to be boarding planes, then they put a couple more people on. After that at the boarding gate, another queue and no staff actually doing anything. In that two hours we just managed to visit the toilet, not even sit down. What a shambles! It has put us off ever wanting to visit Johannesburg airport ever again.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"I was pleasantly surprised"

(Zambia)

Verified Review | We only had 1.5 hours to catch our connecting flight from JNB to CPT, and after hearing number of horror stories I was very worried. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Although the immigration queue was moving slowly, there was someone controlling it and we got through it in 30 minutes. In contrast to many reviews, immigration staff were friendly and pleasant to deal with. Once we got through the immigration, we had to collect our luggage and re-check it for the next leg of the journey. Time wasting experience in my opinion, but again no issues. Plain sailing. We easily found our way to domestic departures and we got there just as boarding has started. On the way back exactly same, just managed to get through quicker, with enough spare time to do some Duty Free shopping. To summarise, Johannesburg is NOT a fantastic airport, but I had absolutely no issues to complaint about.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"domestic better than international"

Verified Review | We had the opportunity of using domestic and international services at Johannesburg Airport, for both arrival and departure. Unlike what most people might have expected, the domestic terminal is in a much better shape than international. The domestic departure area is modern and easy to move around, though shops and restaurant options are limited. Domestic arrival is clean and modern as well, though baggage pickup area can do with some renovation. As for international arrival and departure, you can and will immediately realise this is like a developing airport. Immigration queues were long and slow (not sure why the immigration officers were all looking very unhappy, like they didn't want to be there). The facility was old and poorly laid out. Many ground staff seem more interested in chatting among themselves than assisting passengers. Airlines lounges and waiting lounges were outdated and crowded. There were a number of shops, but most of them seem unattractive. One positive about the airport is the easy and close link between domestic and international gates, so no worry about distance and time for connecting flights.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"very rude staff, long delays"

An awful airport. The organisation and management of travelers is appalling. We arrived from London passing through to Cape Town and experienced a two hour delay at immigration. Long queues of unhappy travellers. The problem seemed to be the use of biometric identification systems that slowed things to a crawl. Clearly the staff didn't know how to use the equipment and they weren't supervised nor helped. A total shambles. We returned from Cape Town on the same route and this time found the security queues totally uncontrolled. Very rude staff, long delays and no queue management resulted I a number of people becoming very bad tempered, not helped by school and sports parties jumping the queues. Overall a city I will not be coming back to. If I take a holiday I expect good management of airports and travelers and this airport is hopeless.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"poor queue management"

Arrived from Maputo around 1635 and took 1.5 hours to pass through immigration. Poor queue management and insufficient immigration officers. Rushed to collect bags and cross over to terminal A for onward flight to Heathrow. Check in okay, then faced with 30 minute queue followed by 45 minute queue through passport control. Queues were so long they extended beyond the barriers. In both queues, people were nipping under barriers with no control by staff. Again insufficient staff numbers. Generally a very hot and unpleasant experience. With check in time, that meant 3 hours were spent queuing. All unnecessary if proper management and resources had been in place. Instead of a leisurely transit spent in BA lounge, we just had time to grab a bowl of lukewarm curry and a stale pastry before being called to flight.
Date VisitNovember 2016