Jeddah Airport

Jeddah Airport customer review

Unverified | The reason for my review is to acknowledge the kindness and care of the Saudi security staff at this airport. I was coming back from Hajj tired and exhausted and fainted in the airport terminal. I woke up with security staff around me asking how I was doing and a doctor was checking me out. They took me to an area where I could relax and get ready for my flight. One of the security staff even bought me and my friend who was with me at the time some juice and bottled water to revive my condition. Many thanks to the Saudi Government and all its staff for the hospitality and services offered during my Hajj trip in Saudi Arab.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"a scene of utter chaos and confusion"

Unverified | As a family of 4, we had to transit through Jeddah from Johannedberg to Dammam. This means clearing immigration here, collecting luggage and re-checking luggage in again at the domestic terminal. We had 3 hours to complete such a simple task or so we thought. The bus took 10-15 minutes from aircraft to terminal, with the 2nd bus from our flight overtaking us in a crazy manouver. We had to wait in very long queues for immigration, the staff here could not care less and spend too much time drinking tea, chatting to their mates and using their mobile phones. Once through that you have to queue (more like free-for-all) yet again so some little dictator can check you have got a stamp, i.e. the clown on immigration has actually done his job. Then queue again for the x-ray machines with some member of staff with even less enthusiasm than the immigration staff. Even after that, it took nearly a full hour before luggage started to appear on the carrousel (I counted 50 mins at last check). When it eventually arrived we rushed to domestic terminal in fear of being late and found a scene of utter chaos and confusion. I can't describe what was going on apart from lots of people trying to storm a couple of counters. A member of staff spoke to us and just said "leave your bags here, I will sort them out". Luckily, that did end up fine in the end. Once we got through to the domestic depature terminal we found out our flight was delayed for an unknown period of time. No one know what was going on, the staff were ignoring people asking questions if they persisted. We asked to be put onto another flight we saw was leaving soon and was told "the departure board is wrong, that flight doesn't exist". Priceless. My personal favourite was when they some other travellers were getting messages off Saudi Air and telling the staff, the staff had no idea about it and just made tannoy announcements anyway! Over 9 hours later we had got angry, but eventually managed to find uncomfortable seats, so at least we could eat our complimentary stale sandwich and bottle of warm water. In conclusion, in my extensive travels this is the worst airport I have ever been to. Cramped, dirty, useless. Use Dammam or Riyadh instead!
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"too crowded and staff are limited"

Verified Review | This airport has a major security problems. It is very crowded and only 2 employees handled the security line, Imagine if you have to handle 30 k or 40 k passenger in your shift, which will lead to a security issues. Airport is too crowded and staff are limited, not only that staff have no education, not just no training. Restaurants are not clean which is a health risk. I was very nervous to travel from this airport.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"I had a very positive experience"

Unverified | Contrary to the reviews I have read, I had a very positive experience. I was pleased to be in the terminal in 10 minutes from the Aircraft, and thru immigration and customs within 20 minutes. What more can you ask from an international airport that handles huge volumes of people. I found the immigration staff very polite and courteous which you don't even find in so called European and other first world countries.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Old, cramped and overcrowded"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah is the worst airport in Saudi Arabia. Old, cramped and overcrowded terminal building; long queues for check-in and immigration; rude and inconsiderate airport staff sums up Jeddah Airport. I landed at midnight and was welcomed by long queues for immigration. Immigration is a nightmare at all Saudi Airports. The immigration could sometimes take hours due to indifferent and sluggish attitude of immigration staff. Somehow after immigration, the baggage reclaim is also no easy deal. The conveyor belts are small and sometimes in the case of multiple arrivals, the area gets too much overcrowded and there is no luggage trolley to be seen. The toilets are old, unkempt and less in numbers. Hope the brand new upcoming King Abdulaziz International Airport change the way people make entry into Saudi Arabia, especially the millions of Umrah and Hajj Pilgrims.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"both terminals are appalling"

Verified Review | This review is based upon my experience of using Jeddah Airport 17 times between August 2015 and June 2017. Jeddah has two main terminals designated North (International) and South (mainly Saudia including international but also Fly Nas and Korean Air). This review is not about the Haaj Terminal which is in addition to the above. In summary the services provided at both the North and South Terminals are appalling; there really is no other adequate adjective to describe it. The North Terminal is worse receiving a 1/10 rating and the South Terminal receives a 2/10 by my figures. Both buildings are far too small for the volume of clients. The toilets are always dirty, they are too small and are poorly maintained. Check-in at best is either poor or dangerous; at peak times you will hear screaming, you will see pushing and you will experience utter chaos as the management have no idea how to create any meaningful systems to facilitate the flow of people. Luggage will randomly appear being dragged over your feet as a client suddenly realises that they might be about to miss their flight so they attack the desks via a side flank pincer movement. Once through into departures there are limited options for food, retail and seating. The signage is often incorrect and does not always directly relate to the appropriate flight. The worst aspect of this airport are the staff. None of the staff seem to have any idea that their job is to provide any kind of service; whether checking-in, departures, immigration or emigration. The exception to this appear to be some BA, Emirates and Qatar staff. The police who undertake a final examination of your passport before you get onto your bus for your 3 mile minimum ride to your aeroplane are rude, arrogant and totally ignorant of any concept of customer service. Their job is to intimidate and ensure your passport stamp allows to to actually leave. This is probably the only airport in the world where you will see customs officers shouting, being rude and even watching videos on their phones. This is the only airport in the world where I was physically pushed into line prior to queuing at immigration. Immigration into this country is a massive stress due to the unknown timeframe; in almost two years the best I got from aeroplane to exiting the airport with no luggage was 45 minutes and the worse was almost 3 hours. Avoid this airport; fly via Riyadh to enter Saudi but monitor the next 2 years as the Singaporean managed new airport comes on-line.
Date VisitJune 2017

"seating and cleanliness is terrible"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | Jeddah is undoubtedly the worst in the world. Flight scheduling is a joke. Terminal seating and cleanliness is terrible. Immigration and airport staff with the worst attitude. Queuing system is practically nil. I can't say avoid this because there's no other option to commute to this part of the world
Date VisitJune 2017

"avoid this airport like the plague"

Having read all the bad reviews about Jeddah airport I was prepared for the worst. Sadly I was not disappointed and it is even worse than expected! This place surely cannot be called an airport. The facilities are insufficient, there flight information system is a joke, the immigrations officers are constantly on their phones. They leave long queue as they please and socialise without any sense of responsibility whatsoever with their fellow officers leaving people in queue much to the disgust of those rushing for connecting flights. No matter how grand or modern their new airport would be with these kinds of people manning them. No wonder jeddah airport has been labelled the worst airport in the world. This reputation I am sure will be held for many years in the future. Avoid this airport like the plague!
Date VisitMay 2017

"immigration is a nightmare"

Verified Review | Jeddah is by far the worst airport I have ever experienced given that it is in a country that is very, very wealthy. Immigration is a nightmare - especially on Friday. It does not matter what class you travel in outbound or inbound. Immigration officers lounge about, on their phones or socializing. The bathrooms are filthy and awkwardly constructed. Parking and airport access is unruly and disorganized. Duty free offerings are a joke. The lounges, whether Saudia or the other one that all airlines end up using, are nothing to rave about. Comparing the Emirates, Etihad and Qatar lounges with the AlFursan lounge is like comparing a Bentley with a Camry. Check-in counters and the space is an absolute mess. All of this chaos is generally brought about due to Umrah passengers. Instead of completely separating operations, including outbound and inbound immigration procedures, the airport continues to operate as a mix bag operation making it a nightmare for the residents of the city (expats and locals). The cherry on top is the lack of jet ways - they still use the old fashioned method of hauling passengers via buses with no priority boarding options. The overall lackadaisical and carefree attitude is seen from top to bottom with all the employees. The only people truly serious about their work are the customs staff. Hats off to them. Everyone else is just passing time. It gives passengers shudders when landing in Jeddah, because no one knows how long and crazy the lines will get and what the 'mood' of the immigration employees be upon landing. The North terminal is much worse than the South terminal and heaven help you if you have to go between the two terminals. At times, you will find out that your flight is departing from the Hajj terminal. It's a project in itself to get to that terminal. Despite the fact that the terminal was built under 10 years ago, it has aged like it was started 20 years ago. The state of the this airport is worse than airports found in 3rd world countries. ** NEEDS TICKET
Date VisitMay 2017

"we queued for over 3 hours"

Verified Review | We transited through Jeddah Airport en route to somewhere else in Saudi Arabia. We didn't get to experience the airport at all because of the time it took to get processed through security! We queued for over 3 hours and as a consequence we almost missed our connecting flight. The staff were oblivious to the huge queue and didn't seem to have any sense of urgency getting people through.
Date VisitApril 2017