Istanbul Ataturk Airport

"They are nasty and unhelpful"

Not Verified | You’re not alone! If you have come here for someone to confirm that there are indeed no places to sit until your gate is announced (1.5hrs prior to flight) your fears have been confirmed! Best of luck! They kick you out of gates and you need to wonder around with no help for the people that work here. They just come around periodically screaming “everyone out” for no apparently reason. They are nasty and unhelpful. Thank goodness I am only in transit here!
Date VisitJune 2018

"almost always overcrowded"

Trip Verified | I just took what was probably my last trip to/from/through this airport, through which I have transited a number of times over the past fifteen years. It is seriously overburdened and almost always overcrowded, so it is probably a good idea that the new Istanbul airport will be opening in a few months. I've grown attached to good old Ataturk, however, and will miss it. It is so easy to jump on the Metro downstairs and explore the wonderful city over long layovers. Several of the airport restaurants have become familiar hangouts for me, and the amazing mix of people jostling through its packed concourses on their way to so many exotic destinations has always rekindled my excitement about traveling--something that does not always/usually happen in an airport nowadays.

"disgrace of a airport"

Not Verified | I travelled with my husband and 3 small children with Turkish airlines from Brazil to connect a flight to Ireland. We were ment to be giving a hotel as we were there for longer than 10 hours. We were refused the hotel as flight landed late and we were less than 15 min from the 10 hours I have a small baby and was not prepared for staying 10 hrs no sleep after a 13 hour flight with a upset baby a 6 yr old and 12 year old. There was not 1 staff member in that airport that would help us they literally answered very snappy and turned away I seen a african women stressed women pushed by a turkish airline staff member. An american women with 2 teenagers been screamed at kids were distraught. Every time I went to the care desk at gate 205 I was ignored I was never giving right directions its a complete disgrace of a airport.
Date VisitMay 2018

"yelling at me and cursing"

Trip Verified | The queues are not organized.. past the lanes and before the passport control officers there are no queues and people just push themselves through that you’ll find people who were far behind you ahead of you. Passport control officers at ‘other nationalities’ lanes speak only Turkish! My unfortunate incident was that I mistakenly booked my visa to start on my date of arrival to Antalya not Istanbul. When I arrived it was 11:30 PM on 5 May while my visa starts 12:00 AM 6 May. I had my daughter with me who was sick and crying but the guy showed no willingness to cooperate. Not only that but he started yelling at me and cursing! Problem was solved when another officer stamped my visa. The first unprofessional yelling officer was in window no. 13. I wanted to escalate and file a complaint for the yelling, cursing and extreme rudeness but the the other officers didn’t give me his name. I regret paying over 2000 Euros for a holiday for which I had to access this airport and be faced with such attitude. Try to avoid holidays in Turkey or at least don’t pass through Ataturk.
Date VisitMay 2018

"they were constantly ignoring me"

Trip Verified | This is the worst airport I have ever travelled to. I was asking the staff a question and they were constantly ignoring me. I left in the end without getting an answer. The passport control process is horrendous! There were no seats for you to sit until your gate was announced. Overall, both the facilities and the staff are horrible.

"Terrible experience"

Not Verified | Terrible experience. Poor facilities. Poor signage. Poor information. Staff cooperation poor. Cleanliness poor. Access to information very poor. Staff surly and unhelpful. Most seemed to have very limited ability with any language other than Turkish. WiFi terrible and drops put repeatedly. To be avoided if possible
Date VisitApril 2018

"slow processing of arrivals"

Not Verified | Upon arrival in the morning there was mayhem with passengers from several flights pooled around a couple of queues that were opened for processing as if it were only as an after thought. The slow processing of arrivals caused people to become extremely anxious about reaching their connecting flights. The sign posting was poor and I felt that I was caught in a congested food bazaar rather than an airport. I managed to run through almost the entire length of the airport, barely arriving in time for my connecting flight to Kyiv.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"It was mayhem"

Trip Verified | It is certainly a very busy airport – the international terminal appears to be too small for the number of passengers that it is currently handling. Arrivals: The process of coming from the plane to the baggage claim area was very smooth. The problem arose in re-claiming of the luggage. We had to wait 2 hours before leaving the terminal. Passengers from other planes could collect theirs earlier. Departure: To enter the airport side, everybody has to be screened. It was mayhem. We could not see what was happening on the other sides because of the crowds. There was no signage but just crowds of people. We did a very British thing, just join the nearest queue. On our side, there were 3 screening machines only 2 were operational. We had to endure this queuing for about 45 mins. Large bags had to be hoisted to the waist high tables for entry to the scanning machines. Not everyone was strong enough to do it. Perhaps, low level scanners with more signage would be appropriate I hope they are building a new terminal as this is far too small for the amount of passenger traffic that we saw. After that, we had to go through the check-in, security check again and finally passport control. Only the start was painful. The airside of the terminal was certainly very busy.

"surly immigration officials"

Not Verified | Arrival at immigration, surly immigration officials. No smile (complete difference from LA airport immigration full of smiles and welcoming). Poorly signposted. You want tourrist to visit and spend there money first impressions matter. Departure one long queue for all non nationals. Again surly officials (take a cue from Dubai these guys are busy 24/7). The guy did not speak English or did not want to. He wanted to know if I had any pages left to stamp; threw the passport at me and said something in Turkish. There was a notice which states to show the entry stamp to the police. so I showed him that and he said that's me - that was his extent of English. He grabbed the passport and found an empty page and stamped. No smile and scowl on his face. Seriously this is what stuck with me when I left. You want me to come and spend money there you better get those fellows some education on civility. Landed in DXB around 1.30 am and the officers here were smiles and very helpful when my ID card did not work at the E gate. That's why there are massive numbers of tourists coming into DXB. Turkey you guys have no chance of catching up with DXB. You may have lots of history but nothing of substance in the present generation.
Date VisitApril 2018

"bad attitude and are very rude"

Not Verified | I had to travel through this airport on a connecting flight to Antalya on a family holiday from the UK. On arrival we had to wait nearly an hour to go through immigration. For our connecting flight we had to go through security which was very slow. On our return flight back we entered the international terminal from domestic. The security and immigration was quick. In other airports after this point you jump on the plane but at the departure gate they have more security. First someone checks your passport and boarding pass then you go the another person who checks the passport who took over 5 Minutes then I was 'randomly' chosen for swabs to be taken from my clothes, bag and my childs tablet. I do not have any issues with security doing their job to keep us all safe in this current climate. However, the security officers have bad attitude and are very rude. They do not speak to you nor make any eye contact. This treatment really upset me and put a downer on my holiday to Turkey. The airport staff make you feel so low and act as if you are a criminal. The service of Turkish Airlines has been very good and staff were very pleasant. They should try and train all staff good customer service. The airport does not have enough seating near departure gates. Airport staff speak little or no English. The toilets are really smelly. I will never use or pass through this airport again.