Top 100 Airlines

Istanbul Ataturk Airport

"nasty, unpleasant experience"

(Spain)

Istanbul Ataturk is an outdated airport and terminal. Crowded, disorganized, dirty and unpleasant. Business lounge acceptable, but the whole place is third rate. Long way to concourses, very long lines, few international shops, scores of first time passengers that do not know how to behave. Airport staff totally useless. No way to communicate or get anything done as they only speak Turkish (no English at all). In sum, a nasty, unpleasant experience. I will avoid it in the future, no matter how cheap the ticket might be.
Date VisitJune 2016

"not enough seats"

(Colombia)

Verified Review | Istanbul Ataturk airport is too small and there are too many people. When I arrived, it took more than 20 minutes for the plane to taxi as there were no available gates. When we got off the plane we had to be transported by bus to the terminal. My connecting flight appeared on the screens but there was no gate information, so when the gate number was finally shown on the screen I could go to the gate but there were not enough seats. Lots of people (including the elderly) had to sit on the floor, unacceptable. There is only free wifi for people who use a Turkish phone provider, but for us foreigners there is no free wifi. Now some positive aspects: the airport is clean, lots of restaurants seem to be open 24/7 (my flight was at 2am). Staff seems to be responsive and helpful.
Date VisitJune 2016

"pretty terrible experience"

(Greece)

Istanbul Ataturk is about one of the worst airports I have ever travelled. It took us more then an hour just to enter the airport due to massive jam because of police control. Then we had to wait way over an hour to go through passport control because there were so few employees. The wait was even longer when we arrived in Istanbul. Pretty terrible experience. Otherwise, the airport is nice. There are shops etc but really, after such an annoying experience you don't care about shopping.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"tiring and awful experience"

Arrivals - we had to wait over an hour to clear passport control. It was very dirty, someone had spilt liquid on the floor and no one cleaned it up, people had to just step over the mess. Departure - our plane landed at 1.05pm from Antalya, had to get to the international airport which was a 20 minute walk, then had to clear passport control in which queues were horrendous. Staff talking with other officers not knowing passengers waiting for flights had other flights to depart. After clearing PC had to walk 15 mins to boarding gate, by the time we finally managed to get there they closed the gate. We even saw the bus shuttle going but a very rude officer refused us entry even though there was 15 mins until the flight departure time. We then had to go to transfer desk which took 15 mins just to find desk, tiring and awful experience. Finally got us on the last flight.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"should be avoided at any price"

Istanbul Ataturk airport should be avoided at any price, it's the most unorganised airport in Europe in my opinion based on few times travelling in and out. Staff are extremely rude and arrogant. It's so busy due to the passport control. Imagine hundreds of people waiting in the queue to enter or exit the country and the officer on his mobile phone talking and at the same time stamping passengers passports - it's absolutely shocking and it takes forever to pass. Hardly any staff at this airport speak English, I will never ever fly to Istanbul. It's so dirty and price for food and drinks are expensive.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"very crowded and dirty"

(Nepal)

Istanbul Ataturk seems to be very crowded and dirty in some of the places. The airport toilets are unbearably dirty (I waited for the plane). But, the staff there are quite helpful and a lot nice places where you can shop.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"nightmare of an airport"

Istanbul Ataturk is an absolute nightmare of an airport. 2 hours waiting like cattle shoved together to get through passport control. Almost missed the flight home because of the delay. Ruined the end of a wonderful holiday. Will never ever use this airport ever again. Horrible experience
Date VisitAugust 2016

"airport was extremely crowded"

(Saudi Arabia)

The airport has not kept up with increasing numbers of fliers flying into Istanbul with Turkish Airlines. The airport was extremely crowded while I was transiting over a 4 hour period and I found myself having to weave through a sea of fellow travellers, negotiating countless obstacles. Air Conditioning: I don't know whether it was a combination of the number of people, or the A/C was broken or what, but I was sweating throughout my stay at the airport. Even sat down, I had to use a menu to cool myself down. Seating: Briefly, there isn't enough seating in the airport at all. People were sitting on the floor or standing up. I resorted to having an unnecessary meal just to sit down at a restaurant. Food/Shopping: Good news, there is plenty of food and shopping options in the airport. I can't comment on price or quality of the shopping, but I went to Carluccios and the experience wasn't great. High prices and low-quality food that seemed to have been quickly fried, although overcooked didn't leave me with a good impression. Cleanliness/Signage: The signage was relatively good, although I find that very few can be as good as the black font on yellow background in the UK. The airport was relatively clean and I saw nothing of note. Toilets: There aren't enough of them, but the quality of the toilets themselves were good and they were relatively clean. Wifi: The free airport wifi is actually pretty good. You do need a working telephone capable of receiving international text messages in order to receive a verification code. Speeds are decent for browsing, email and basic internet needs, but not good enough to stream video - probably because so many people were attempting Skype calls there. Overall: Definitely not an airport I would want to stay in with my wife and two very young children as I can surmise that it would be a thoroughly miserable experience. It wasn't a traumatic/terrible time, just extremely uncomfortable.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"never seen such a poor Passport Control"

(Turkey)

The line at Passport Control is a serious health and safety concern, apart from being a terrible "welcome" to Turkey. I waited almost 2 hours, and friends regularly wait 2 or 2.5 hours in that horrible line. There is no policing and little organization, so you have sweat, chaos, people cutting through unsealed barriers, old people fainting, children screaming, fights breaking out. I saw the paramedics called last time - they must be busy. Whoever is responsible for this should lose their job. THY is a great airline and Turkey is a great country to visit, but Istanbul Ataturk will make you suffer for hours to get in. Don't expect to make your connecting domestic flight - I'm not sure why they even still sell tickets with domestic connections. I have never seen such a poor Passport Control.

"staff aren't friendly"

(Belgium)

This wasn't a good experience at Istanbul Ataturk. This is a big airport, but they should do better to make the airport less crowded. The staff aren't friendly and we had to go through security again for our connection. Also the WiFi isn't working for people living outside Turkey.
Date VisitJuly 2016