Istanbul Ataturk Airport

"Absolutely disgusting behaviour"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | After booking flights to Phuket with Turkish Airlines, we were advised by our agent that we could pay extra (40tl) and use the business lounge. I called my agent at the airport and they advised again that this could be done. However I was ignored at the desk in the lounge and the lady behind the desk continued to talk to Turkish customers behind me, when I tried to explain she smiled rolled her eyes and said you were given the wrong information and whilst talking back she simply walked off and ignored me! Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

"not enough seating"

Trip Verified | Airport too small for Turkish Airlines - some gates are too far away from passport control, and with the low ceilings and not enough seating, boarding itself becomes a mess. I was also surprised that I had to take the bus after the boarding to go to the plane - which was a packed A330-300. On top of that, they have problems communicating in English and they just look at your face if you say something they don't understand. There are enough shops and cafes to spend time, and the prices are okay. Hopefully with the new airport they'll get rid of the problems.

"very crowded airport"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | To be avoided. The growth in terms of trafic in IST over the last 10 years did not go hand in hand with extending and modernizing the airport. As a result IST is e very crowded airport, dirty, unfriendly and has a bad reputation concerning luggage handling. After today I still did not get my luggage or any news about if they located it and when I will get it. Very disappointing experience.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"airport is fairly easy to navigate"

Trip Verified | I still don't understand why all of the complaints about Istanbul Ataturk. The airport is fairly easy to navigate, with good eating and shopping options, and is fairly efficient for the airport of its size. Yes there are too few seats to sit on, yes luggage trolleys are too few, and yes the traffic at the airport outgrew its capacity five or six years back. But Ataturk still gets the job done. And on the bright side Istanbul's new airport is scheduled to open in October which will remove many of the complaints about Ataturk.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"I really dislike this airport"

(Turkey)

Not Verified | I have, unfortunately, had to travel through this airport quite a bit since moving to Ankara a year and a half ago. I really dislike this airport. It’s old and so looks dirty even if it’s clean. It has very uncomfortable, outdated seating and there’s not enough of it. Lighting is all long fluorescent tubes. The few restaurants are small, cramped and there are not any international options. There’s basically no shopping or other entertainment. So if you’re stuck here during a long layover, lots of luck! Even in the international terminal, few staff speak decent English, so communication is very trying unless you know Turkish. (Compare that to Paris where they try to speak to everyone in French before begrudgingly speaking near-perfect English). Security is shocking for a westerner, especially if you’re a woman. While they will assign you a female agent, if you want a private screening you have to ask for it, and there’s no using back of the hands or verbal warning about searching private areas. Bathrooms are tiny and always crowded and there’s always water splashed on the floors and all over the sinks from the way people wash. That brings me to the type of fellow passengers you’ll be dealing with - lots of people from cultures with different ideas about manners and personal space and hygiene and staring. There is free WiFi, but connecting is impossible if you don’t have a Turkish phone number to get a pin texted to you. Plus, the instructions are in Turkish. You can try to find a coffee shop like Mado and use their WiFi, but then there’s the language barrier again when you need the password. Don’t be surprised and try not to be offended if they simply take your phone out of your hands to type the password in themselves rather than attempt to communicate it in English. One good thing I can say is that they have clear signs and I’ve never been lost or very confused about where to go. Overall, the airport needs a major makeover/renovation and they need to hire staff who are much more proficient in English.

"staff were rude"

Not Verified | We landed from our flight in Istanbul with Turkish Airlines from Toronto. Turkish Airlines was good and I recommend it but the airport was disappointing. Staff were rude and did not want to help. Barley anyone knew English which made it harder. We asked a lady a question and she was very rude with her response. Whenever we needed assistance they would cut off and tell us to go look at the flight time board. Staff in this airport are very rude and do not want to provide service to their customers.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"a total disappointment being at this airport"

Not Verified | It is a total disappointment being at this airport. I regret buying tickets with Turkish Airline to save a few $$. I shouldn't have. Airport staff are horrible, no manners or customer service, very rude staff. Do not expect any help from airport staff. When I asked about free wifi access, one staff member told me "Do I look like wifi guy to you?". Other person responded, "we do not have free wifi even if its listed on the airport website, go get figure out on your own if you think you are right". etc.. My suggestion, do not try to save money and avoid Turkish Airlines and transit at IST at any cost.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"not enough seats for passengers"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Staffs (both airport staff and shop staff) are very rude and arrogant. They literally took my credit card from my hand without asking, and gave me a command to "Sign!" then dropped the pen on the table when I needed to sign for my purchase. There are not enough seats for passengers, people sleep or sit all over the place, the terminal is very far and you have to walk there without any support. Turkish Airlines is okay but I will never travel with them anymore, just to avoid this horrible airport.

"airport is terrible"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | The airport was pretty dirty. Staff arrogant and disrespectful. I had 12 layover and the wifi was limited. For conclusion, flying with Turkish Airlines was good experience but the airport is terrible. I have one inbound flight in 12/2017 but I swear after that I will never transit via this airport.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"first experience was excellent"

Trip Verified | This has to be up there with the best airports. I've been through Ataturk twice in the last week, once a simple 2.5hr transit, the other time an overnight transit. The first experience was excellent - straight from plane to departures with no security. The second time, there was no queue to get through passport control to leave the airport, and coming back into the airport was very smooth too. Ataturk must be one of the most secure places I've been - security check before check in, 2 passport checks at the check in desk, then passport control, followed by main security, and finally a hand luggage and explosive check at the gate! Yet I spent less time queueing for all these combined than I would have done for the one security check at a UK airport! The departure hall is massive, with a great array of shops, bars and restaurants aswell as 2 smoking terraces.
Date VisitNovember 2017