Istanbul Ataturk Airport

"not really efficient"

Trip Verified | I travel to and from this airport quite often. Sometimes you get lucky, there are no delays and you get to land without flying around the airport for half an hour. This was the case for me this time. However, it's not over once you land. It takes around 20 minutes for the plane to park, and even though it was a packed A330-300 we had to take a bus from the plane. Then I legitimately had to walk for 20 minutes for passport control which doesn't take long if you have a fast track pass. Then another 10 minutes to arrive to baggage carousel. It wasn't really busy when I landed, so I didn't wait that long to get my baggage. There is free WiFi in the airport which actually works fine. Parking isn't that expensive and pretty close to the terminals. There is a subway station underneath the airport as well. Here's the problem with this airport: It's not that small, but not really efficient either. It's obvious that it wasn't initially designed to handle what it handles today. That's why you end up taking a bus from the plane and walk for 30 minutes afterwards. I cannot wait for the new airport.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"terrible layout and experience"

Not Verified | Arrivals - a very long walk to security and haphazard passport desks. Reasonably quick collection of baggage. Toilets were atrocious! Departures - security at the entrance tells you what you can carry on as luggage or check in - none of their business! Have to show your passport four times to different people before the actual desk before the baggage check in desk. Very slow. Very crowded terminal before and after departure security. Duty free is in Euros but charges your credit card in TL?? Not enough seating and very busy. Security staff on mechanized wheel chairs and segway riders don't give a hoot about passangers in their way. Terrible layout and experience.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"I could not connect at all"

Trip Verified | You cannot connect to the wifi of this airport without a mobile number being registered and I normally just off my mobile number when I am overseas, so I could not connect at all. No food outlet before the transfer lounge entry, so I have to wait for a long time near the Turkish Airlines counter because I had to arrange to change my flight schedule.
Date VisitMay 2018

"One of the worst airports"

Not Verified | One of the worst airports, period. Hot and stuffy, dirty toilets, even when you pay lots for lounge access you have to use public toilets. These toilets are filthy and stinky. Long queues, unfriendly staff and under performing air-conditioning all add up to bad news.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"there aren't enough seats"

Trip Verified | On arrival to this airport, our visas that we applied for, paid, and printed in advance, were never checked by customs staff. We later spoke with other passengers who had their visas stamped on arrival. On departure, there was many issues. We found a little cafe to sit in. The staff member was too busy on her phone or gossipping with colleagues to take our order or even clean off tables that were dirty for at least an hour. We decided to leave the cafe to sit on the seats in the airport. Unfortunately, you can only sit at the seats designated for your gate, and you can only access said seats within a predetermined time before your airplane departs. In addition, there aren't enough seats in the designated area for all passengers to sit on, which leaves passengers sitting on the floor blocking the walkways. (Which is a fire hazard in many countries). There are many unnecessary passport and ticket checks, some within a 30 second walk from each other. It seems that they can use these extra staff members of the airports in different ways, such as cleaning the facilities and tables. The WiFi is only accessable to passengers who have a working cell phone number.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"the worst airport I’ve ever been to"

Trip Verified | Certainly the worst airport I’ve ever been to. To say that the staff are unhelpful would be a complement - nasty, unfriendly service from people who don’t seem to know their job neither. My husband is disabled and uses a walking stick, he was simply told that it cannot be taken through transit security and he needs to throw it away. No reason given apart from couple of words in a broken English ‘problem, problem’. No supervisor available to resolve the issue. Was told to go to help desk where advised to get a visa, exit the airport and check in! Absolutely ridiculous! Apart from that very bad signage at the airport.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"the smell was just overwhelming"

Trip Verified | I decided to use the ladies bathroom after arrival and before passport control, as I figured it would be less crowded. I entered the restroom area with a couple of of other women, and we all immediately started commenting on the stench. I managed to do my business without breathing, but couldn't hold it long enough to make it through washing my hands, and when I took in a breath I started gagging and choking, and ended up throwing up in the sink. The rest room didn't look particularly dirty, but the smell was just overwhelming.
Date VisitJune 2018

"mugged and extorted."

Not Verified | It is probably one of the worst airport that I have been at. My Turkish airline flight was delayed from Dhaka to Istanbul, I missed the connecting flight therefore had to stay at Istanbul. I asked airport personnel that I would like to enter turkey as I have missed my connecting flight, they told me that I would have to stay at the airport lounge as I won’t be able to enter turkey which was ridiculous. Anyways the Turkish airline agreed they were gonna give me hotel for the night but I would have to get a visa myself when they were suppose to sort the visa out for me as it was not my fault. I went to two different places once to pay $50 to get the visa. As I am on the que, I hear the visa officer static tone and slurring racial abuse towards the passenger in Turkish. Finally I went though and got to my hotel. Next day before I boarded the plane, I was taking my dialysis as I disfunctional kydneys. One of the security officer came over and started asking what am I doing, why did I stay in turkey for a day, where am I travelling to. I answered all the question and then he started saying that I am not fit to travel when I been and would have to be examined by a doctor before I could board the plane and I would have to pay the doctors fee when I knew I was fine and I have been on dialysis for 3 years. I had no choice but to pay as for the doctor as I did not want to get stuck over there as I did not have any for guild for my dialysis and I knew that they would not provide any medical attention if my condition worsen. I felt like I got mugged and extorted. Overall a very bad experience with Turkish airline and Istanbul airport they just use any excuse to hassle money off you. I would recommend to avoid istanbul and Turkish airline as much as possible.
Date VisitJune 2018

"must be the worst airport"

Trip Verified | Istanbul Ataturk must be the worst airport since Colombo. First, the airport was a massive crowds and many people have been seating on the floor for many hours (Have experience like this since a long time when I fly through this airport). Few months ago, I am flying by another airline (not Turkish Airlines or other airline from Turkey) and the disaster began when I saw people yelling at customers representative as they are helpless causing lots of annoying sounds by surrounded people across the airport. Security check was very atrocious and have been queuing in front of the security check for nearly hours. There has been lots of limited choice of food and drinks in this airport and even no shower, no extra facilities, no hotel for accommodation (I've been acting like this for the last few years ago when I am flying Turkish Airlines). Despite a lot of craziness of this airport, there needs to be lot of improvement. I hope the New Istanbul Airport will be better, bigger, modern and have no more problem like this.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"very poor product overall"

Not Verified | Had the misfortune to have to use this airport again and it gets worse every time. I'm seriously running out of negatives. From arrivals, queues, security, rudeness of Turkish Airlines ground staff, to departure, indifference, arrogance and apathy of Turkish Airlines check in staff, laid back security, expensive Duty Free and food, poor service on board Turkish Airlines after take off. It all ties in with a very poor product overall. Avoid this airport and Turkish if you can. Shall be going with Aegean via Athens next time.
Date VisitMay 2018