Innsbruck Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 15th October 2013

Travelled late July. Arriving from Edinburgh late afternoon found the airport quiet. Standing at the back of a long line for passport control I thought we could in for a long wait. But they virtually waved the entire plane load through in around 3 minutes! By which time the luggage had already arrived. So we were out of the airport within 5 minutes. I've never known anything like it. On the way back there were several flights delayed due to a storm. However everything still worked well for our flight and we departed on time. Not a big airport but I was happy with my time there.

Review by (United Kingdom) 14th April 2012

Travelled late March/early April. Completely empty extremely clean overlooking the runway walking distance from town check-in queue was non existent for me (travelling to London). Car hire is fine quality food available but all very cosy and empty of huge hordes of people! The best airport I've been too.

Review by (United Kingdom) 8th February 2012

Arriving on January 28th no problems. The baggage arrived quickly and we were soon on our way. Nothing could have prepared us for the departure however. It was a nightmare. The baggage check-in took a long time - only 3 desks for an Airbus A332 with nearly 300 passengers. The plane was delayed one hour but that didn't seem to help. It took us nearly an hour in a completely disorganised "queue". The check-in assistants had no sense of urgency chatted amongst themselves and couldn't even manage to put 4 people on the same booking in the same part of the plane! At security it was utter chaos - more than an hour in a crush everyone trying to get to the front and in to one of the two security bay in order to catch their planes. Looking at the reviews here and comments from staff at the airport it would appear that this has been going on for years! It was intolerable and potentially unsafe - one person in our huddle (it could in no sense be described as a queue) fainted. I shall avoid holidays based on Innsbruck airport in the future.

Review by (United Kingdom) 31st January 2012

Using this airport in Winter is a nightmare - huge numbers of holidaymakers make the departures hall so rammed that you can barely move. To get around you often have to leave the airport and find an entrance further down the terminal. I've also never experienced such a slow check-in process - quite why I have no idea but it seemed to take staff three times longer than it took their counterparts at Gatwick. Airside facilities are limited to a shop and cafe - which also had monumental queues.

Review by 13th January 2009

Arriving on a Sunday morning from Berlin the bags including skis were on the belt almost as quickly as we got into the arrivals hall. Out the door and you're at the best stop. I don't think I've ever had a smoother arrival. Leaving the following Sunday was almost as hassle-free though there was a problem with the belt at the check-in desk and we had to take bags to the bulky luggage area no further than 10 metres away. No queue at security though strangely we had to take off our watches... what's that all about? There's next to no facilities once through security. I'm not sure I'd fancy passing through this airport on a winter Saturday with a couple of dozen charter flights arriving but at quiet times it's very pleasant. And the view's not bad either.

Review by 26th June 2008

I use this airport for arrivals only and usually leave Europe via MUC. I have departed from this airport and the check-in security and gate areas are woefully inadequate particularly if there are charters outbound. Incoming if you have checked bags is absurd. The belts are simply too small and one Boeing 737-800 causes absolute chaos. Imagine a charter or two. While the airport is adequate for its scheduled airlines and their equipment it cannot cope with anything else and thus the waits and confusion. What helps is the friendliness of staff including police and other officials.

Review by 20th March 2008

Flew in and out recently. Perhaps crucially on a Friday and a Monday when the congestion mentioned was not a problem. Out of the terminal on arrival within 30 minutes despite an absurd 100 yard bus transfer from plane to terminal and a 10 minute wait at passport control. Coming back I advise not going through passport control until late - there are very few facilities. However the real problem was that my flight could not land due to high winds and we were put on a coach to Munich meaning a 7 hour delay. This is not uncommon at Innsbruck and means its effectiveness as an airport has to be questioned.

Review by 19th June 2007

Used this airport recently and found it unable to cope with the number of flights departing. Time and again flights were delayed for passengers still trying to get through the woefully inadequate security screening. Three flights were departing from Gate 10 and there were a total of about a hundred seats for the two hundred and fifty or so passengers. Neither are there any refreshment facilities after security and the aforementioned two hundred and fifty passengers had to share one single cubicle in each of the ladies and gents toilets.
/10

Review by 27th December 2006

Smaller regional airport with some advantages. Short distances to walk and friendly staff. Facilities + playground for children in the departure hall/1st floor. A lot of traffic on winter Saturdays but due to quite a lot of recently added facilities at check-in-area gate- areas and security-gates the crowds can be handled much better than in past years. I prefer this airport to many of those "giant airports" such as MUC or FRA due to its shorts ways and friendly atmosphere.
/10

Review by 6th February 2006

Avoid this airport in winter. Dreadful arrival facilities baggage claim hall too small to handle number of incoming flights conveyor belts much too short to deal with 186 passengers from a 737-800. Result: 80 min ute wait for baggage on a Saturday afternoon. Return journey worse: 6 hour+ delay due to weather and knock on operational problems. Tiny departure lounge airside rapidly filled with every square inch of floor space occupied and all check in suspended as physically impossible to squeeze further passengers airside. Staff seemed confused as to how to manage situation - though this must regularly happen. Not one announcement re flight I was waiting for. No refreshment. When flight eventually ready to board a member of ground staff tried to board 2 flights simultaneously through same gate; result: more chaos more delay.