Top 100 Airports

Houston IAH

"this was something unique"

I transited from Houston during my round-trip to Shreveport, Louisiana. I took the train to change terminals in Houston. For my flight to Shreveport, there was a general "waiting area" for regional flights. You proceed towards your gate from "waiting area" only when boarding starts. I thought this was something unique. Overall, I had a positive experience and wouldn't mind transiting through Houston again.
Date VisitMay 2016

"customs and immigration line over 2 hours"

Customs and immigration for US citizens at Houston IAH is a ridiculous mess. Glad this is our final stop. So many people missing their connecting flights. After waiting in the self automated line over 2 hours, they started allowing the back of the line to skip to the counters which means everyone behind you is now in front for phase 2. We don't even have our luggage yet.
Date VisitJune 2016

"2.5 hours connecting, I barely made it"

(Austria)

Same experience as other travelers at Houston IAH. Immigration service is slow and staff just do not care if you miss your flight and are extremly unfriendly. I had 2.5 hours connecting time I barely made it - I had to ask others to let me pass by. I would love to transit over Dallas unfortunately Lufthansa does not offer this airport for a connection from Europe to Guadalajara, Mexico. Connecting in Dallas I had great experience, everbody tries to help if you are tight on changing plane, well organized.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"horrible walking distances"

Landed ayt Houston IAH on a redeye flight from Seattle into Terminal E. Horrible walking distance to anywhere else - at least a half mile walk to the Skyway to go to other terminals. Why the half mile walk? Because Terminal E is setup as the International Terminal so if you transfer domestic to domestic you walk to Terminal D with no help from moving walkways. We flagged down a electric cart as the walking distance is absurd but it explains the exhausted people we saw entering the Terminal E domestic gate area.

"worst passport control"

(Mexico)

Houston IAH has the worst passport control service I have experienced in any developed country - only 2 out of 40 lanes open, several immigration agents at counters not working. Waiting time of more than 1.5 hours on a regular Monday evening. Visited Houston last November and have seen no progress, if anything the situation is even worse now. Feel bad for all the people losing their connections, who is paying for this bad service, the airlines?

"very impressive"

First time to the US with Global Entry clearance. Given reviews of Houston IAH, I was keen to see what difference this made as I had erred on the safe side and left 3 hours transit time. No queue at the Global Entry machines, hand baggage only so quickly through customs, and managed to switch to an earlier flight. Overall no more than 30 minutes from doors open to being ready for the domestic flight, which was very impressive.
Date VisitApril 2016

"long queues for machines"

1 hour 23 minutes transfer time at Houston, plus 23 minutes as our flight from London Heathrow was early but never made the connection due to the long queues for machines, immigration, hand luggage check and body scan - even though this had all been checked in London. I spoke to 5 individuals and explained that we had a flight to catch and nobody cared and in fact blame was passed from immigration to the airline or airline to immigration depending on whose employee I was speaking to. Result, 18 hours overnight at Houston Airport waiting for the next flight out. Complaint to United Airlines resulted in a tough luck reply and a few airmiles points and complaint to airport got no response at all. I will not travel through this airport again.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"slowest airport witnessed"

Came from Panama to Houston to catch a plane to Germany. Had a 1h40min connection time and my first flight landed early. I'm used to long lines at immigration into the US but this was the worst I have ever seen. There are self service kiosks and I waited 60min to get there - it didn't work for 90% of the people so we had to stand in line (another 30min) to get through regular immigration. There were many officers and I called to attention that my flight was already boarding for 10min but they said that was no problem. Thanks to all the passengers who let me pass. After immigration I ran to get my suitcase and check it again. There was another line to go through customs which everyone had to go though (even with connecting flights). And then came TSA. Being used to mostly European but also US airports where there are different lines according to the proximity of your departure time, there was no such thing here. And even asking officials they said there was no fast lane. Again thanks to all the people who let me pass. Fortunately, after a sprint to the gate I made it to my plane and they closed the gate behind me. I will never ever go through IAH again - the slowest airport I have ever witnessed and no surprise that my suitcase went to Cleveland instead of Frankfurt.
Date VisitApril 2016

"lovely facility, horribly run"

Lovely facility, horribly run. We had a 1.5 hr connection on United coming in from Mexico. Had to move through customs, collect and recheck baggage, re enter security, and take a transit train to get to our gate. We saw lots of travelers stressed and running to catch their connections. In our experience, not a chance with many of the stops manned by a handful of people to process us and a customs department operating at half speed. Ended up missing the connection - having a 24hr layover in Houston before United could fly us within a 2hr. drive to our final destination. Either that or wait 48hrs in Houston before they could get us back on a flight. We opted to fly asap and rent our own car to drive home. None of this was within our control nor was compensated at any stage by either the airline or airport. Makes one frustrated at both parties.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"had to run for the plane"

Just connected through Houston on a flight from Cabo to Newark. Had 1 hour 45 mins for connection and had to run for the plane. The immigration process and personnel would embarrass a third world country and customs was worse. Four agents spent 20 minutes inspecting my wife's underwear and were either obtuse, rude or just moronic. Once you are done with that debacle you have to line up again to go through another security check. No TSA pre. No first class lines. Just another 30 minutes of incompetence. Embarrassing that this is what visitors see when coming to our country.
Date VisitMarch 2016