Vote Now

Houston IAH

"an airport to best be avoided"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | An airport to best be avoided. If you do use it for transit, be sure to talk with the crew of the incoming flight. They may be able to help speed things up. Otherwise it seems you need to allow at least three hours transit time. There is no transit area, so you must clear immigration. There is an automated system, but it rejects most people and you go into another queue for manual processing. When I was there, there were 3 immigration counters operating. It took about two hours with no possibility of sitting, eating, or going to the toilet. Staff were uncommunicative and only sometimes apologetic. Once out of immigration you must collect your bags and find where to drop them again. It seems easier if you are travelling United or Star Alliance. It's a longish walk to the departure part of Terminal D. After leaving your bags, you must go through security to get to the departure gate. It is extremely thorough. Because I missed my connection and was coming next day the line was short. There are no signs about the rules, but they include: Remove everything from pockets, remove laptop from bag, empty water bottle, remove shoes and belt. You get scanned in a machine, wiped with explosive test, then patted down. I forgot to empty my water bottle. If I wanted to keep the bottle, the only choice was to exit and repeat the whole process. Did so as I had time and no queue. Everything was repeated including patting down. In the gate area there is good fast free wifi. Lesson: travelling from NZ to Europe, go via Asia.

"pleasantly surprised"

Pleasantly surprised. Having read all the reviews here I was anticipating a nightmare with queuing times for everything. But I flew through all queues. Immigration, customs upon arrival. Check-in, security and immigration upon departure, and this was on Super Bowl weekend when there was higher traffic volume everywhere. In terminal D there is a small variety of food and shopping options, but they are high quality. There was no arrival duty free which was one downside.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"I'm done with this poor excuse of an airport"

Verified Review | I'm done with this poor excuse of an airport. I fly internationally every month and will assiduously avoid IAH when coming in from Latin American cities. DFW is a much better alternative - international transfer security Pre-Check availability and TSA agents that don't treat you like garbage. IAH is also a dirty airport in general. You can tell when an organization has pride. At IAH, you can smell indifference the minute you get off the plane.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"2 hour typical wait at immigration"

After 13h flight into Houston IAH, it's inhumane to have a 2 hour typical wait at immigration and this time with my infant and toddler. It's just sad that I have to come through here. I would do anything to avoid it. Having half the windows only operating is just humiliating to visitors. It's a disgrace to the American people to welcome their guests like that.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"rudest TSA ever experienced"

Verified Review | By far the rudest TSA I have ever experienced. I went through terminal A at Houston IAH. The employees were continually yelling at us as if we were incompetent. They were not helpful to anyone. Instead they made snotty remarks and gave so much attitude to passengers. I can usually tolerate rudeness but it was all I could do to not say something back. I'm sure their job isn't easy or fun but they could at least have some humanity.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"travel through different airports to avoid unnecessary stress"

Verified Review | The worst airport with the rudest staff. I travel all the time and I have never met ruder people in my life, they seem extremely unhappy working there. They are yelling at people like we were going through military training. We were traveling on our honeymoon, coming from London, through Houston to Costa Rica. It was such a bad system, we had to go through customs, wait in line forever, why? I have no idea when we were in transit just trying to get to Costa Rica with no intention of staying in Houston. On the top of this, they had two hours to transfer our luggage and they failed to do so. They lost them! I will avoid this badly organized airport in the future for sure. I suggest you travel through different airports to avoid unnecessary stress.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"horrible experience for our family"

I am a Kiwi (NZ) I have a permanent residency card here in the US in which everything is up to date and valid, and I got pulled aside and had to wait in customs at the extra security check point and for two hours, while my wife and kids where waiting seperatly from me. Just to be asked where we departed from. This was after the customs guy that just checks the passports never said a word to us and was exfremly rude. Horrible experience for our family and makes us think twice about every flying out-of-state Houston again.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"wish there were other options"

Verified Review | We have been through Houston IAH airport 6 times now. We wish there were other options. Once again the arrivals hall and immigration was full of hundreds of people. About 5 lines were open. It took over an hour to get to the immigration official. Then we were in another long line, about 40 minutes waiting for security screening to re-enter the terminal and go to our gate. We were lucky with a long layover and bags checked through but poor folks with tight connections and baggage that had to go through customs were really hooped. People using this airport for international travel need to be aware that one hour connecting time doesn't even come close to what is needed.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"do something about restaurants"

Verified Review | Nice arrival & departure - on time both ways. But please do something about the restaurants. I am Vegan as are many of your visitors. Nothing at your airport is Vegan nor Vegan-friendly. Please note that even small airports and international ones like Cancun have Vegan-friendly options at their restaurants. Do know that the entire world is not "grits and gravy; ribs and chitlins; as is assumed in your airport. A salad of lettuce-only is not sufficient. How about some other options! Even chain restaurants offer Vegan-friendly. Do better; be inclusive.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"one point only 1 kiosk open"

This was the worst immigration I have been through. I flew Cartagena to Panama City to Houston to Denver. I had 2.5 hours between landing in Houston and leaving for Denver and I ALMOST didn't make my flight. I'm a Canadian with a TN visa, so had to be in the international line. There must have been 200 people in that line and at one point only 1 kiosk open. The most they ever had open in the 2 hours I was there was 3. The "greeters" would just nod and tell people, too bad, when they mentioned they were going to miss their connecting flight. When I got to the kiosk I was told that it was my own fault for not having NEXUS. I ran for the plane and made my connection but everyone on the plane was talking about how terrible it was. In future I will go out of my way to avoid this airport.
Date VisitOctober 2016