Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport

Review by (United States) 18th June 2015

Flew into Houston George Bush Int. Airport for a job interview. Airport layout was very confusing to me. It looked to me as if they took parts of other airports and combined them to make this airport. Some areas very dirty and could not find anyone to guide me to the hotel shuttle pick up area. Hope any future travel to Houston does not lead to this airport though I've heard Houston Hobby is worse.
Date Visit17-02-2015
Facilities N/A
Wifi Connectivity N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 15th June 2015

Unfortunately I have to fly from this airport again on 21st June and I dread it, on arrival to catch a flight to Pensacola I could not find any member of staff to help me where to go, I asked a cleaning lady who help me a little, I am slightly disabled so I will ask for help in advance of using this airport again, it is complete chaos.

Review by (United States) 25th May 2015

The seating areas at the gate C-36 in this case are filthy. The carpets are stained there is trash all over the floor and trash bins are overflowing.

Review by (Canada) 22nd May 2015

Worst airport experience ever. Starts with Poorly labelled passport control for Canadians with discourteous staff when asked for assistance. If you follow the visitor signs it doesn't work as you're supposed to follow the American stream. The American stream is only labelled as citizen and residents. Even when using the automated terminals you are still processed by immigration officers asking questions. The whole process is very time consuming. Strike 1. Next is getting luggage and going through customs. Not nearly enough officers (3) on duty to process the crush of humanity from several arriving planes a problem for passengers with connecting flights. The lineup for processing is not well organized and seems to be a free-for-all. Strike 2. Once through the signage and assistance of rechecking baggage is lacking. We had 2 oversized bags that no one wanted to deal with as they had to do real work as it involved a "walk down" with the bags instead of using the automated conveyor. Strike 3. Next was going back through security with all the connecting passengers. Many people with just 2 lanes open for processing. Strike 4. Now to find the trains to get to the proper terminal. Did I mention the poor signage? Strike 5. Don't get me started on the trains. Strike 6. The gates can be very far away from the train stop. Strike 7. Gate staff checked us through (last second) but the jetway staff at the plane's door were not happy and let everyone know. Strike 8. Last but not least out of 4 bags we received just 1 at our destination. Strike 8. Did I mention how dirty the Houston airport was and how poorly the washrooms seem to have been cleaned? Strike 9. All told the Houston airport lost that inning! Experience was so poor I will avoid that airport at all/any cost.

Review by (United States) 20th May 2015

On arrival at Houston we were first directed to an automatic passport system. Long lines. Then the same information was checked again by an agent. Then on to baggage claim (we had carry on only). Then into a scrum of people 20 wide toward the exit. No crowd control. Just push and shove. Probably 200 yards long. Overheating causes passengers to faint. A TSA rep charges into the crowd shouting and closes a line. Eventually we arrive at the 4 agents. Surly at best. What happened to welcome back to America? All in the worst customs and immigration experience in the US. I have entered US at many cities. It does not need to be this bad. Will never travel via Houston again.

Review by (United Kingdom) 11th May 2015

Absolutely ridiculous lines to get through customs yesterday at IAH George Bush Airport. I have travelled through customs the world over and never have I seen such disorganisation! You cannot expect to handle thousands of people arriving on multiple flights with 2 desks open? I will never fly here again - sort it out.

Review by (United States) 30th April 2015

I arrived from San Jose Costa Rica at 5.30pm on Sunday evening April 26 with two hours to make my connection to Chicago. This was without a doubt the worst customs process I have experienced. It took greater than an hour to get to the APC machines and then another half hour to then have the passport stamped. There were only two agents on duty with probably 1000+ people in line. This is an extremely inefficient process. Once we finally retrieved our luggage there was another one hour plus wait. There was no organization to this line and people were really angry accusing others of cutting in the line in front of them. When we finally went through customs with our suitcases there were four agents who just looked at our passports and let us through. I'm not sure I understand this second step or why there was not organization or enough people to handle all of the people attempting to get through Customs. Flights are scheduled. I heard afterwards that there were more than 2500 people attempting to get through Customs. This was a travesty! I have gone through Customs in Atlanta Los Angeles Chicago and Newark and have never seen anything as disorganized as this. It was outrageous and changes should be made.

Review by (United States) 28th April 2015

We had a 3 hours connection through Houston airport coming back from Costa Rica connecting to Seattle on April 26th. After the immigration line (around 40 minutes) we thought the worst was over. Once we got our luggage we had to go through customs. There were thousands of people in the area and it was a total mess. There were only four Border protection officers working causing huge delays. The most frustrating part was there were no clear lines so some people were standing in line for almost 2 hours (it is not an exaggeration) and some people realizing they were going to miss their flight were cutting the line. People would get into actual flights since everyone was getting frustrated. 4 or 5 Border protection guys had to come in (so there were more than four?) to interfere. Setting the lines seem to be pretty simple task to accomplish. I agree with some of the comments I heard over those two hours (that is one of the few decent ones I can post): After arriving from Mexico Costa Rica and other countries we all of a sudden felt being in a third world country in Houston. The administration should be ashamed of themselves.
Terminal Cleanliness N/A
Facilities N/A

Review by (United States) 28th April 2015

I'm a frequent traveler and this by far was the worst airport experience dealing with immigration and customs. We were traveling back from Liberia Costa Rica and while the United Airlines staff on the plane was clear with instructions as to where to go wen we reached our gate once we got to immigration the problems were apparent. We were in line first for passport scanners for around 40 minutes then another wait for what looked to be 4 agents checking passports for hundreds of travelers in just the US citizens line. Then we headed in to get luggage and were in another completely disorganized winding line that blocked access to baggage. We got to our baggage and realized that the line we saw was only about one tenth of the actual line that wound back and forth with only the honest of other travelers to keep order. We saw airport agents whom we called out to to maintain order and they ignored people while they texted on their phones. With people trying to cut into lines that people had stood in for 1.5 hrs already missing connections there were near riot situations. We called out for security and finally airport police came and somewhat restored order while airport agents opened another line behind those of us who had been in line for hours missing flights and expedited them through not even checking passports. We missed our connections and there were no more flights for the rest of the night for us to get out. We got a room at our expense and will get out now 24 hours later. I travel by air all over the country but will never go through Houston for an international flight again.
Terminal Cleanliness N/A

Review by (United States) 28th April 2015

I arrived at about 5.10pm from Huatulco Mexico. Passport control area was a mess poorly managed. The baggage area to re-check bags was the worst I've seen in decades of travel. There were not enough agents anywhere no-one offering any help probably 4000 people stuck at all the carousels with a line that wound around every one of the carousels. No one helping people just having to figure out a system. Nearly everyone including myself missed their connecting flights. My next United flight was to have been at 7.30pm. I like many others was on my phone trying to arrange other connections. My husband was able to get through to the airline and I was booked and confirmed on two evening flights but with American Airlines. The confirmation did me no good because United had only about five agents trying to assist hundreds of people who had missed their flights and only about three of the agents appeared to be actually working. So I again missed my new flights because you could get no help whatsoever from any of the United Airlines agents. They were non-existent and yet we and immigration were blamed for missing the connecting flights and therefore could receive no vouchers no compensation of any sort. An agent finally sent me down to American. Finally I was given a so-called voucher which I was told would give me a half- price hotel. I hope never to return in my lifetime.