Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport

Review by (Switzerland) 4th August 2015

Worst international terminal for a city of this size and international passenger traffic in the Western world. I travel internationally for a living and I was stunned at how poor the organization, the security clearance, the dismal choice at duty free, and the horrible restaurant (only one in the whole terminal) with poor service - they just don't care. Shame on Houston.
Date Visit04-08-2015

Review by (United States) 19th July 2015

Sat July 18th went thru US Customs and experienced a 3 hour delay due to lack of this airports organization and management! Long lines and 3 hours standing in line caused a majority of travelers to miss their connecting flights. In addition, several officers were searching the building looking for an individual who obviously was wanted for something-makes me feel safe flying thru this airport. I will pay more in the future to avoid this airport!
Date Visit19-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th July 2015

I was in transit twice at this airport quite recently: once on 30th June 2015, and again on 18th July 2015. Both experiences were horrific. I believe the root of the problem with this airport lies with the staff. At best, they are generally unwilling to help. On two occasions I have found them to be downright rude, and if I wasn't rushing and in transit, I would have stopped to ask for their names and file an official complaint. Both times I have been here queues have been ridiculous - there is no sense of urgency and no awareness of the importance of timing. The running of this airport has resulted in me being stranded for 24 hours (sleeping on the floor, with no access to food, water or blankets), missing my connection flight and therefore costing me hundreds of British pounds, and also losing my luggage. It's the worst airport I have been to.
Date Visit19-07-2015

Review by (Australia) 16th July 2015

Lack of staff, long queues, immigration staff who don't understand the importance of time in an airport, no order and poor signage are just some of the issues I encountered. After lining up for 40 minutes to pass through immigration (waiting for a staff member to finish her 15 minute personal chat to the people in front) you then have to collect your bags and line up in another queue for what appears to serve exactly the same function as the first queue. Staff are unwilling to help and the whole system serves to create one huge bottle neck. There was a huge amount of frustration and anger from many different passengers which I think was entirely warranted. On top of this, the terminals are overcrowded and dirty. I will avoid this airport at all costs in the future.
Date Visit15-07-2015

Review by (Singapore) 6th July 2015

I was in transit a few days ago. Arriving from GDL (Mexico) and continuing for NRT (Japan). The airplane landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule but we had to wait on board for 30 min because the "gate was not available" 2 hours and 40 minutes were just enough for me to rush and run to catch the connecting flight. First the immigration check. The queue was quite ordered and regulated by members of the staff, there were about 500-800 people in queue with just a few (about 7) lanes open. There is no fast lane for tight connections or for transit. Some of the officers were taking their own time chatting and laughing to each other while performing their duties. Baggage delivery. Even if my luggage was already tagged to the final destination I had to collect my luggage, queue for the customs clearance and go to the baggage check in counter. Security check. After all of this there is the security check. Despite the long queue and the thorough inspection, it was very well organised and extremely efficient. After the inspection I literally had to run to the gate where the connecting flight was about to close.
Date Visit06-07-2015

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

We had to come through customs after vacationing in Belize. It took two hours to get through customs. I couldn't believe how inefficiently it was run. The majority of personnel, were some of the rudest my spouse and I have encountered at any airport. Particularly in baggage inspection. Horrible experience.
Date Visit02-07-2015

Review by (United States) 18th June 2015

Flew into Houston George Bush Int. Airport for a job interview. Airport layout was very confusing to me. It looked to me as if they took parts of other airports and combined them to make this airport. Some areas very dirty and could not find anyone to guide me to the hotel shuttle pick up area. Hope any future travel to Houston does not lead to this airport though I've heard Houston Hobby is worse.
Date Visit17-02-2015
Airport Shopping N/A
Wifi Connectivity N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 15th June 2015

Unfortunately I have to fly from this airport again on 21st June and I dread it, on arrival to catch a flight to Pensacola I could not find any member of staff to help me where to go, I asked a cleaning lady who help me a little, I am slightly disabled so I will ask for help in advance of using this airport again, it is complete chaos.

Review by (United States) 25th May 2015

The seating areas at the gate C-36 in this case are filthy. The carpets are stained there is trash all over the floor and trash bins are overflowing.

Review by (Canada) 22nd May 2015

Worst airport experience ever. Starts with Poorly labelled passport control for Canadians with discourteous staff when asked for assistance. If you follow the visitor signs it doesn't work as you're supposed to follow the American stream. The American stream is only labelled as citizen and residents. Even when using the automated terminals you are still processed by immigration officers asking questions. The whole process is very time consuming. Strike 1. Next is getting luggage and going through customs. Not nearly enough officers (3) on duty to process the crush of humanity from several arriving planes a problem for passengers with connecting flights. The lineup for processing is not well organized and seems to be a free-for-all. Strike 2. Once through the signage and assistance of rechecking baggage is lacking. We had 2 oversized bags that no one wanted to deal with as they had to do real work as it involved a "walk down" with the bags instead of using the automated conveyor. Strike 3. Next was going back through security with all the connecting passengers. Many people with just 2 lanes open for processing. Strike 4. Now to find the trains to get to the proper terminal. Did I mention the poor signage? Strike 5. Don't get me started on the trains. Strike 6. The gates can be very far away from the train stop. Strike 7. Gate staff checked us through (last second) but the jetway staff at the plane's door were not happy and let everyone know. Strike 8. Last but not least out of 4 bags we received just 1 at our destination. Strike 8. Did I mention how dirty the Houston airport was and how poorly the washrooms seem to have been cleaned? Strike 9. All told the Houston airport lost that inning! Experience was so poor I will avoid that airport at all/any cost.