Airline of the Year

Houston IAH

"airport staff are also helpful"

(Pakistan)

A beautiful airport to say the least. Excellent design so when passengers arrive they have a long walk to get to their luggage which reduces the waiting time for luggage. Souvenir shops are also really nice and airport staff are also helpful. Would definitely visit again.
Date VisitJune 2016

"nothing to do but wait"

Verified Review | Layover to and from a family vacation in Roatan. On arrival was 15 mins too late for shuttle trains between terminals. I had several hours between flights so I walked between Terminal A and E only to discover security and United counter were long-past closed so I couldn't check bag or get to more secure part of the Airport. On my return flight I arrived earlier in evening. Was told I couldn't check my bag until it was within 12 hours of my flight. Went back at the appointed time - original info was incorrect and again I'm outside the secure area - only another 6.5 hours to go. Nothing to do but wait - not paying $300 for a room. I have books and puzzles but even Starbucks is now closed. Place is bright and clean enough but there is not even anywhere to plug in my phone.
Date VisitApril 2017

"very pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | Before transitting via Houston from an international airline to United Airlines I read the reviews on this site. The reviews had me very concerned about that 2 hours we had for transit from Terminal D (internationl) to B (domestic). My husband also required a wheelchair and this only added to my concerns and yet, we were very pleasantly surprised by the help and friendliness of the American staff. We received help from the airport staff who assist passengers with needs such as with the wheelchair (but you must book the wheelchair or other assistance with your airline). We did not experience the long queues at customs and they were not rude. Note. We landed and departed at off peak times - ie midday and 8pm. The airport is very modern but there is a 1.5-mile (2.4 km) distance from Terminal A to Terminal D.and so you definitely need to take the upstairs Skytrain between terminals. There are some curvy corridors when navigating from arrival lounges, shops and the Skytrain but there are plenty of signs that point the way towards the Skytrain and other terminals. Note. For international to domestic transits you really need to allow 3 hours in case of queues and flight delays but it can be done within 2 hours if you are organised and only have carry on luggage and study the online airport maps to get an idea of where the Skytrain is located. Plus, the local USA airlines tend to stop passengers on to the domestic flights if is within 30 minutes of the plane leaving.
Date VisitApril 2017

"Customs was the worst"

Verified Review | Customs was the worst we have ever dealt with. The waiting lines were more than 2.5 hours long. The staff was rude and kept moving us from line to line only to get put back in another line. There were dozens of people around me that missed their flights for the lack of help with customs. Out of all the times and places I have traveled I have never felt so frustrated. No one was helpful and they were certainly were not in a hurry. This airport has been the worst one of my life!
Date VisitMarch 2017

"an airport to best be avoided"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | An airport to best be avoided. If you do use it for transit, be sure to talk with the crew of the incoming flight. They may be able to help speed things up. Otherwise it seems you need to allow at least three hours transit time. There is no transit area, so you must clear immigration. There is an automated system, but it rejects most people and you go into another queue for manual processing. When I was there, there were 3 immigration counters operating. It took about two hours with no possibility of sitting, eating, or going to the toilet. Staff were uncommunicative and only sometimes apologetic. Once out of immigration you must collect your bags and find where to drop them again. It seems easier if you are travelling United or Star Alliance. It's a longish walk to the departure part of Terminal D. After leaving your bags, you must go through security to get to the departure gate. It is extremely thorough. Because I missed my connection and was coming next day the line was short. There are no signs about the rules, but they include: Remove everything from pockets, remove laptop from bag, empty water bottle, remove shoes and belt. You get scanned in a machine, wiped with explosive test, then patted down. I forgot to empty my water bottle. If I wanted to keep the bottle, the only choice was to exit and repeat the whole process. Did so as I had time and no queue. Everything was repeated including patting down. In the gate area there is good fast free wifi. Lesson: travelling from NZ to Europe, go via Asia.

"pleasantly surprised"

Pleasantly surprised. Having read all the reviews here I was anticipating a nightmare with queuing times for everything. But I flew through all queues. Immigration, customs upon arrival. Check-in, security and immigration upon departure, and this was on Super Bowl weekend when there was higher traffic volume everywhere. In terminal D there is a small variety of food and shopping options, but they are high quality. There was no arrival duty free which was one downside.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"I'm done with this poor excuse of an airport"

Verified Review | I'm done with this poor excuse of an airport. I fly internationally every month and will assiduously avoid IAH when coming in from Latin American cities. DFW is a much better alternative - international transfer security Pre-Check availability and TSA agents that don't treat you like garbage. IAH is also a dirty airport in general. You can tell when an organization has pride. At IAH, you can smell indifference the minute you get off the plane.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"2 hour typical wait at immigration"

After 13h flight into Houston IAH, it's inhumane to have a 2 hour typical wait at immigration and this time with my infant and toddler. It's just sad that I have to come through here. I would do anything to avoid it. Having half the windows only operating is just humiliating to visitors. It's a disgrace to the American people to welcome their guests like that.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"rudest TSA ever experienced"

Verified Review | By far the rudest TSA I have ever experienced. I went through terminal A at Houston IAH. The employees were continually yelling at us as if we were incompetent. They were not helpful to anyone. Instead they made snotty remarks and gave so much attitude to passengers. I can usually tolerate rudeness but it was all I could do to not say something back. I'm sure their job isn't easy or fun but they could at least have some humanity.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"travel through different airports to avoid unnecessary stress"

Verified Review | The worst airport with the rudest staff. I travel all the time and I have never met ruder people in my life, they seem extremely unhappy working there. They are yelling at people like we were going through military training. We were traveling on our honeymoon, coming from London, through Houston to Costa Rica. It was such a bad system, we had to go through customs, wait in line forever, why? I have no idea when we were in transit just trying to get to Costa Rica with no intention of staying in Houston. On the top of this, they had two hours to transfer our luggage and they failed to do so. They lost them! I will avoid this badly organized airport in the future for sure. I suggest you travel through different airports to avoid unnecessary stress.