Best Cabin Crew

Houston IAH

"embarrassing welcome for visitors"

Houston IAH is the worst airport to be traveling from. Checking in for our flight to DXB was an hour's wait, and immigration on the way back was another hour. There are no TSA Pre or sufficient number of security counters, which means lines for security can take up to 30 minutes. The immigration kiosks for US passports are a gigantic waste of time, it takes a family of 4 at least 5 minutes (if they're quick) to scan each passport and take pictures. They probably need to triple the number of kiosks if the lines are to get any shorter. Baggage handling was an absolute mess, passengers had to go hunt for bags, which sometimes came on a carousel different from the one indicated for our flight. After you collect your bags, customs is another 20 minute line. The entire ordeal from gate to exit took over 2 hours. All in all IAH is the most embarrassing welcome for visitors to our country, and the worst possible way for Americans to return home.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"this airport is the worst"

This place is a nightmare. I flew through here on United from Guatemala City to Chicago, as a US Passport holder, and it is a debacle. First, they now have a kiosk to enter your info, scan your Passport and give you a receipt. You then proceed to hand this to an Immigration Officer, and exit to recheck your Bags for your onward flight. The Kiosk throws everyone for a loop, and it was so crowded, the lines were all the way out of the hall, on Jan 4, a Monday. After that fiasco, you then encounter another 3 ring circus that makes most developing countries look like a Swiss Bank. The area to get thru security is too small, so you can not even go up the escalator, to the Security area, they had to stop the escalator, and wait for the security to clear out. Are you kidding me, a new airport, can't handle the passengers coming from Immigration? Then, after you finally get thru security, you need to take a train, as IAH is huge. I am ashamed to be an American, and see what we put foreigners thru, this airport is the worst, and I am on my 3rd Passport, so I get around.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"security for connections is hideous"

I have never been in such a terrible airport as this one. What a disgrace. My husband and I were coming back from Costa Rica to San Francisco through IAH. We had to line up in one line to use a kiosk to fill out the information we already had on our form, and have our pictures taken. Then another line to bring the forms and talk to a TSA agent. Why have the kiosk when I still have to line up and clear with a TSA agent. Both my husband and I had TSA PRE, and there was no option for TSA PRE. Then TSA held up my husband for a while with no explanation, and I had to wait outside the room for half an hour, even though he qualified for TSA PRE and is a US citizen. No one secures your luggage. The security for connections is hideous, inefficient, and no one cares if you are close to missing your flight. There is no TSA PRE in the security checkline after clearing customs. We had a two hour layover and just made it to the gate on time for boarding. I will never ever come through this airport again.

"should be avoided"

This airport is a disaster for international connections and should be avoided. I experienced the same problem as previous reviews. Waiting for 1 hour in immigration queues, confusion at baggage carousels, long lines at customs and then the nightmare TSA check. All in all it took over 2 hours to go gate to gate and of course I missed my connecting flight. Throughout the staff were rude and inconsiderate, but particular mention should be made of the obnoxious immigration staff who loudly questioned everyone in line about their intentions, and then openly discussed them with their peers in a manner so that others could hear quite personal information. This airport is a disgrace.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"it is only getting worse"

I have traveled through this airport multiple times and keep thinking the process will improve. Guess my expectations are too high. Today indicated it is only getting worse. Less organized than most 3rd world countries I have travelled to. I and many other passengers missed connecting flights due long lines, lack of staff to process incoming passengers and other related issues.

"massive waiting lines"

In Houston Airport, I only had one hour to transit. But due to massive waiting lines I missed my corresponding flight to Amsterdam. The organization of this process is very poor, and the staff did not seem to care whether I would miss my flight or not. Some of them were even rude to me about it. An airport with a size like this, should be able to manage this in a proper way, but it is not. For me, this was my third time in Houston and hooefully the last time.

"no one to assist"

This is the 5th time through international from Mexico and each time I promise it will be the last. I was unable to keep that promise to myself and once again found myself in the midst of confusion and chaos. My GOES card assisted me in a quick entry through passport control, luggage retrieval a nightmare-six flights unloaded onto one turnstile without notice of when luggage is arriving-no assitance from United staff, and then up the escalator into what can only be described as Houston Hell. The escalator pushed off passengers into those waiting for x-ray clearance-no one to assist. Endless meandering lines with people complaining of missed flights-rude personnel. It took 2 hours to get through all of immigration and clearance to get from E to C. Has anyone in charge given thought to more personnel to assist people with their questions, concerns and direction needs? Avoid this international entry point. I shall try once again on my next journey to find another airline and another fare to keep me away from IAH.

"very unorganized"

(Austria)

Very unorganized, not prepared for international transfers and airline (United) also hasn't provided any assistance for international connections, missed our connecting flight, wasn't able to transit within 2 hours, I will avoid US airlines in the future when flying from Europe to Mexico or other international destinations.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"never go through IAH again"

Never again. Coming from Merida connecting through IAH to CMH, the luggage and TSA experience was a nightmare. The luggage carousel listed 6 arriving flights so no clue as to what luggage was coming through. No baggage personnel to help. Customs was quick though could clearly back up if too many travelers. TSA was horrible with all flight passengers funneled through long serpentine line(s). No TSA pre check. TSA managed to overlook a disabled young man in a wheelchair and only later got him to the head of the line. TSA personnel overall was rude, loud, and generally clueless. Finally exited this hell and hurried to gate with moments to spare. Overall experience over two hours. Should you ever have to go through this wretched airport from an international location, allow at least three hours to go through arrivals to keep frustrations at bay while you wait and wait. IAH should rethink and completely redo its international arrivals. I will never go through IAH again.

"sometimes inconsistent signage"

My previous trips through IAH haven't been memorable so I was surprised by the low, recent ratings. When I looked closely, some of the reports seemed to include incorrect or misleading information. To address these, the international terminal has plenty of food choices, with a variety of cuisine, the duty free is no bargain but that's typical of virtually all US or foreign airports I've visited in the last 20 years, and carts only cost once you get past customs, which is true of every US airport. There is no charge for carts in customs. As for going through security after customs, this is hardly the only U.S. airport with that feature. My only annoyance was that security didn't have a line for TSA pre-cleared passengers. Like most airports, the wait for immigration depends on how many flights arrive at about the same time. Mine was the 3rd of 4 with similar arrival times and I expected the worst, however, the long serpentine line went quickly. The immigration line took me about 45 minutes and was shorter for those who were US citizens with no declarations of food, etc. Customs went very quickly even though there were only 4 lines. The TSA folks at security were no more less difficult than most other airports. The whole process, including security took about an hour and 15 minutes. My usual rule of thumb is to allow 2 1/2 hours or more for immigration. etc. at an airport where I don't know the drill, so I was not hurried at all. Is suspect my previous trips here were up memorable because it probably went pretty much like this recent trip. The airport didn't seem particularly dirty and although the layout is confusing with sometimes inconsistent signage (the path from E to C sometimes omits reference to C), the airport itself is quite modern. It has been redone in the last decade and used to be a real 1970s relic. The food choices, overall, are much better than some other hub airports such as LAX, DFW, or ATL and it is possible to find something healthy, as well as some things that are novel. The seating is pretty standard as airports go. The wifi works well and is free, and there were multiple charging stations at my departure gates. Overall, I can think plenty of other airports that are more annoying than this one.