Airline of the Year

Honolulu Airport

"they have no wifi"

(Japan)

Verified Review | It's 2017 and they have no wifi. Upon my arrival, I inquired at an info desk and was told they are currently installing wifi. Upon my departure, I experienced rude and unprofessional "welcomes" at four restaurants, including: PGA Tour Grill, California Pizza Kitchen, Gordon Biersch, and The Local at HNL. I walked away from all of them, finding a very professional young man working at Burger King. I arrived at 6 pm and 80% of the stores were closed.
Date VisitJune 2017

"most unorganized airport"

Verified Review | Honolulu has been one of the worst airport experiences of my life. I flew in on an international flight and was told I had to get my bag, recheck it, and then go through security again. There were signs to mainland USA, but when I got to the sign where it said to take the elevator, there was no floor number to go to. So I just had to pick a floor. When I finally found Hawaiian check-in there was just one huge queue. No one knew what they were doing, half of the check in computers were not working, and then I couldn't even get a seat number when I dropped my bag off. Then security took 45 minutes, and the line was not that long. Finally got through security and had to walk a mile to find my gate. These sound like little things, but this was the most unorganized airport I've ever been to. I will try at all costs to never fly through here or use Hawaiian Airlines again.
Date VisitJune 2017

"had no problems at all"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | We had read some bad reviews about the airport at Honolulu but had no problems at all. We applied for a ESTA Visa which gave us reassurance about entering USA. The customs officer on arrival was very welcoming and when we departed we were met by a gentleman at the Air NZ area and what a huge difference he made, just couldn't believe how the stresses of travelling could be completely alleviated by such a helpful and cheerful fellow who made us feel like royalty. Once again, clearing customs was smooth, first time we've had to take off shoes etc but that's America. The arrivals area was in need of brightening but the departures area had good facilities and seemed pleasant.
Date VisitMay 2017

"entire Airport needs a face lift"

Verified Review | This entire Airport needs a face lift, bathrooms are in very poor conditions, majority of electrical outlets do not function, some are held together with tie wrap. For the amount of visitors that travel through this airport, this airport should be Primo.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"chaos the only descriptor that fits"

Honolulu is possibly the worst major United States airport. Because it is a major entry point for foreigners visiting the USA, it is an embarrassment, not only to Hawaii but to the country. The airport is massive and sprawling, yet poorly signed. Connecting from inter-island to a mainland flight requires walking down many confusing aisles and escalators and then waiting for a shuttle. We left from Gate 8. The sevices consisted of a shop selling heated-up frozen pizzas and an overwhelmed Quiznos. This, in an airport where every flight is hours long. The bathrooms were so filthy as to be septic - and in poor repair. The public areas are dimly lit and the check-in (united) was a joke. The lines to board crossed the lines of those seeking assistance. Chaos is the only descriptor that fits.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"totally inadequate signage"

A stressful transit experience. Queues extremely long that did not appear to be moving. Unhelpful Hawaiian Airlines ground staff, some were abrupt and rude. With totally inadequate signage we were forced to ask for help and the response from staff added to the stress. We ran between queues. Two and a half hours should be enough time to change connecting flights - not in Honolulu. We had no time for a drink or toilet stop.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"TSA pre-check a total joke"

I have no desire to return to Hawaii at this point, this having been my fourth trip there. The TSA pre-check which I was assigned was a total joke. They were merging regular passengers with pre-checked ones which made the line go slow and negated the whole purpose of pre-check. I complained and a not so pleasant exchanged ensued with other passengers backing me. Also American Airlines had no curbside bag check after I stood in line for 15 minutes was rudely told by a Delta employee they couldn't help me. Also all of the televisions in the airport play sports, not one had the news on so I couldn't watch the primaries that day. I read all the other comments and agree with the observations. Like I said, it'll be a long long time if ever I have any desire to return to Hawaii.
Date VisitApril 2016

"definitely showing its age"

This is the most poorly designed airport in the US. It's definitely showing its age. There is only one moving sidewalk from the Hawaiian terminal so you have to walk from one end of the terminal to the other which can amount to more than a half mile. Ridiculous. Everything in the airport looks weathered and worn. It definitely needs to be brought into the 21st Century.
Date VisitApril 2016

"disgusted with airport staff"

We flew from Auckland to San Jose with a transfer in Honolulu. What a nightmare. Because we rode in the front of the plane, there was minimal wait getting through customs and, for once, we had the good fortune to be interviewed by a human TSA agent. After you collect your bags from the carousel, you have to stand in line again to run all your checked and carry-on baggage through an x-ray machine. They're searching for biological items that could disrupt Hawaii's agricultural balance. Upon exiting x-ray, you hand over your checked luggage, and all the in-transit passengers are directed to a specific exit. Once outside the exit, you have no idea where to go. There are no signs. We asked an airport employee outside, who acted like we greatly inconvenienced her with our question. She waved us off toward another building, and we dodged busy vehicle traffic to cross a road, dragging our bags. Upon arriving at the second building's entrance, we rode an escalator up to the second floor to go through security screening again, in order to board our connecting flight. We were then told that we had to exit the building and re-enter through another door to get to security. Brilliant logistics, whoever planned that mess. So we went outside, walked down to the next door, went back in and breezed through security due to our TSA pre-check status. After security, we inquired where to find the Business Class Lounge and were told that it was in the other building. So to use the lounge, we'd have had to retrace all our steps, undergo security screening in the other building, only to return two hours later to undergo security screening a third time before boarding our flight. Again brilliant planning. While standing in line to board our flight, an extremely arrogant Hawaiian Air employee showed up and began to bark orders about the size of carry-on bags. When a woman near us had the audacity to answer that her carry-on bag had accompanied her thus far, so she knew it fit, he grabbed it and measured it, and declared that it didn't fit. We could all see that it did indeed fit into the metal measuring standard at the gate, but he grabbed it from her, tagged it, ordered her to take any medications out of it, and sent it off to be loaded under the plane. He did the same to her husband. Then he directed his attention at Hubby and me, and I showed him our first class tickets. He retreated, though my carry-on was obviously wider than theirs, and went on to harass other poor souls flying economy class. It's evident that this old airport was thrown together hodgepodge and there was absolutely no planning for passenger convenience or ease of access. I am utterly disgusted with Hawaiian Airlines airport staff at Honolulu.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"gave up waiting for my wheelchair"

Arrived at HNL after flight was delayed for 3 hours. Gave up waiting for my wheelchair to be returned to me at the gate. Made my own way to baggage claim with my wife's help. Lots of building work so it was very confusing to navigate. Finally arrived at baggage reclaim to find all of my fellow travellers still there. Only 2 baggage handlers on duty apparently. Finally managed to collect our cases with the assistance of another passenger. Asked one man where my wheelchair would arrive. He smiled and said, "don't know" and that was it. We got it back shortly afterwards. Finally made it to the car rental shuttle bus to take us to the new car hire building. The airport looked like a building site and a poorly organised one at that. Insufficient staff and signage available to help able bodied and disabled passengers alike. It was also deserted, something that I did not expect for an international airport. It took me 20 minutes, with assistance, to get off the plane, get luggage and clear immigration / customs at LAX. It took me an hour just to find baggage claim and get my luggage at HNL. Not acceptable.
Date VisitNovember 2015