Honolulu Airport

"Airport is just plain dirty"

Not Verified | Sitting at Gate 14 waiting for my departure flight. I've traveled a lot around world including several 3rd countries. Honolulu Airport is just plain dirty. I am embarrassed for people around world to see this. The airport maybe a bit dated but that is no excuse for the filth. The walls, ceiling, sinks, toilets, tiles, light fixtures are soiled, there are fingerprints, grease, dirt everywhere. The workers and Management, and local government has no pride in their State, work or themselves I guess.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"the worlds worst security staff"

Trip Verified | The Hawaiian airports have the worlds worst security staff. You can hear them yelling long before you get to security. They just keep yelling and being ignorant to people. Also if you put your shoes in the tray they give you heck. I have been asked if I treat my owen house that way, when I put shoes in the tray. Do they not realize that in all the other airports in the world we have to put our shoes im the tray? We don't read minds.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"the worst airport in the United States"

Trip Verified | I’m sad to report that this has to be the worst airport in the United States. The bathrooms are filthy, small, outdated, etc. This was my first trip to Hawaii and I was really surprised at the airport. I’m used to Portland, Oregon, which is the #1 airport in America, so I do have pretty high standards, but I know I’m not out of line here at all. I truly hope someone with some authority reads this and other reviews as this is an honest review. Embarrassing to our country.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Security is a nightmare"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | Security is a nightmare, here everything goes slower than other places. I know they do " Hawaiian time" but when you have the waited over 2 hours to get past that is not acceptable. It's old and out of date so do yourself a favour and arrive in good time.

"washroom disgustingly dirty"

(Cape Verde)

Not Verified | I have been to 3rd world countries that have better airport facilities than Honolulu. I asked a TSA agent where a bathroom was located on arrival in the baggage pickup area and was told that he was not an information booth. Great Aloha welcoming. I have been to the Islands many times as we go there every year for a 2-3 month stay. This is not the norm. The washroom was disgustingly dirty. No soap, no towels an absolute disgrace. More high end shopping places than eating establishments. Open concept is nice however it does have its drawbacks. The check in area is dark and dreary reminds me of a cement car park garage. There are improvements being made. eg parking facilities. They charge 2-3 dollars for a baggage cart. Another nickel and dime travel expense. Security screening area is far too small for the number of people being screened at one time.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"indoor signage is poor"

Unverified | This airport was the worst part of our trip to Hawaii. It is older and dreary, surprising seeing that it is a tourist destination. As others have noted, indoor signage is poor. Amenities such as shopping, are limited. I had to look to find a shop to buy even a bottle of water, and then endured a long line as only on cashier was on duty. The Delta gate we were at was large with adequate seating, but while air-conditioned was still warm. And no working wifi. I don't know if it was just down when we were there or if it is truly non-existent. I dreaded every minute at this airport.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"there were no signs whatsoever"

Verified Review | The worst airport I’ve ever been to, out of over 20. Arriving there, there were no signs whatsoever indicating where the exit was, or where to find public transport. When coming back to depart, the departures location turned out to be the car rental, and there was only 1 sign indicating roughly what way to go towards departures. Arriving there, the airport officer told us there was no flight leaving to Seattle that night. Turned out there was, just from a different gate that was difficult to find as well. Once inside, there were barely any charging stations, and the 3 they have do not even have seating. Even the coffee shop only has 2, meaning only 2 people can charge their phone at a time. I’m sitting on the ground as we speak. There is no wifi either, so forget about getting any work out of the way while waiting for your delayed flight - of which they forgot to inform you. Worst airport experience of my life, would avoid this airport at any cost. Would have given it a 0/10 if it were possible.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"the most disorganized chaos I have ever witnessed"

Verified Review | Honolulu Airport almost ruined our honeymoon! We arrived two hours early for a weekday afternoon, inter-island flight to Maui. The scene at the ticketing and bag check was the most disorganized chaos I have ever witnessed. It was completely unclear which mess of a line to get into for bag checking, and the staff was rude and unhelpful. After asking 3 staff members for assistance and receiving only grunts in response, I finally found the correct bag check area. It was a complicated self check process that took even tech savvy people upwards of 20 minutes to properly navigate. Then we were ushered back outside into a pre-security line that didn't move for 30 minutes because they didn't have enough staff available! By this point our flight was about to board! Staff were sarcastic and unsympathetic, remarking that we'd "better hurry and run." I've been to third world countries that have easier and more effiecient airports than Honolulu.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"transfer just a nightmare"

Unverified | Total Chaos. Arrived into Honolulu on a morning flight from SYD and had to transfer to SFO, both on Hawaiian Airlines. Was told in Sydney to go to area "O" to drop bags after going through immigration and customs, but when we went there was told no, this is not Hawaiian bag drop. We had to go outside the terminal to be confronted with no signage and lot of lines seemingly going nowhere. Immigration and customs had already taken an hour, we had only a 2 hour gap between flights. Eventually nearly in tears we found a lovely lady from HA who took our bags from us and told us to run to the security line which we did, then another sprint to the gate. Made it on to the flight but when we arrived that night in SFO our bags didn't make it - we were without luggage for a day and a half. In my experience with HNL airport (probably been there over 10 times) it's fine if you're coming in and staying but when you try to transfer to a different flight it's just a nightmare. Seriously, add some signage! English is my first language and I couldn't find my way around - imagine if you were coming from a non English speaking country - no chance!
Date VisitJune 2017

"complete lack of organization"

Verified Review | Departing out of Honolulu is similar to using a 3rd world country airport as far as their security is concerned. My flight was to depart at 715 AM, and I arrived at the airport at 515 AM. I used the luggage valet, which meant that they took care of the agriculture screen and checking the bags. (Well worth the tip as a side note, no time spent with checking the bags). I have TSA pre-check and flew first class for this flight. I waited in a security line labelled TSA pre-check, which was approx. 20 yards long. After 10 minute wait, a staff member came to us and told us to move to another area to wait, and assured me that there also was a TSA pre-check. Once I walked 40 yards to get to the new area, one had to enter through a door, and encountered another member of staff. She rudely said "no separate for pre-check". The line was long and winding, and since 20-30 showed up more after us, there was now going back to the original line. We did not want this somewhat inefficient experience to ruin our Hawaii vacation, so we patiently waited. After 20 minutes of wait, a group of 20-30 travellers showed up. Since there were so many of them, the security staff decided to open up a new line and let these folks essentially go to the front of the line! The staff said this was being done to move the lines along. What about those of us with Pre-check, who showed up 2 hours earlier, patiently waiting in line? What is maddening the most, is the complete lack of organization. No preferential treatment for people who were waiting in line, no preferential treatment for TSA pre-check, etc. The line is being managed by someone who could care less about customer service or fairness. Really leaves a bad taste upon leaving after a Hawaii vacation. Honolulu Airport authority needs to seriously look at how they run their services at peak times.
Date VisitAugust 2017