Honolulu Airport

Review by (United States) 27th June 2015

Having traveled to and through Honolulu quite a lot over the past two years, I have to agree that it is an older and sometimes chaotic airport but I always found it tolerable and somewhat charming in a tropical sort of way until now (arrival, taxis etc are another matter). Traveling from here to the other islands has sometimes been unpredictable but I have had no real complaints. But now (2015) the usual difficulties of traveling out of Honolulu have been compounded by construction. Problems include crammed lines at agriculture security, no one to deal with priority customers (in my case American Airlines), a long walk and terrible mash up of a line up at the non TSA checkpoint (curiously my line this time around - June - was almost all females with children), one line for everyone, no faster lane as in almost all medium sized or large airports. I am sorry for older folks or folks with disabilities who might have to contend with this. There is one positive thing at HNL and that is that I have always found the Security staff to be polite and usually cheery. That makes the airport experience more tolerable.
Date Visit27-06-2015

Review by (United States) 20th November 2014

I transited HNL twice on my way from San Francisco to Auckland recently and wished I hadn't. On my outbound trip after I got off my flight from SF I searched for information about where my connecting gate was. There was simply none to be had the first screens I found were blank then there were some "arrivals" screens (not very helpful in the departures area). I walked halfway down the terminal to baggage claim in the heat since there was no continuous air-conditioned walkway and the first "departures" screen I found only had about one hour's worth of flights on it; mine was still two hours away. Just then I heard a loudspeaker announcement saying it would depart from the gate right next to the one from which I had just disembarked. The return trip was not much better there was a similar lack of information compounded by the need to go through customs and immigration. It became clear that HNL was never meant as an international transit point - the path of travel was chaotic (up stairs down stairs through various inside and outside corridors to end up close to where I had started in the first place) and the personnel surly. Not much aloha here. It's also worth mentioning that the terminal has birds flying around it to such an extent that some of the seats in the departure lounge had bird poop on them.

Review by (Japan) 17th September 2014

It is an old and open-air airport and I imagine it is not like any other you have flown through. It could be larger especially the airport lounges (and they could be closer to the gates). That said it is easy to navigate there are enough shops around the gates though there could be more food options. The gate areas are small and far from the main terminal where security is located. It could do with a massive renovation but I am nostalgic and have been using HNL since the 1970's and it kind of takes me back.

Review by (United States) 10th June 2014

Stuck for 10 hours. Came from Osaka. Leaving customs found almost no none checked on facilities. One coffee and one bar joint total for one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. So I had to check in. Place is dark and dirty. Worst prices in the United States. Chaotic check in. Noisy. Avoid HNL.
Terminal Cleanliness N/A

Review by (Brazil) 24th July 2013

One of the ugliest airports existing on US territory. Arrival on the International "terminal" compels you to take horrible buses where you have to literally climb stairs. Checking-in for inter-island flights is rude. No wi-fi no store nothing. Departure for US domestic flights in confused. Only attractive: nice furniture. Boarding lounges are too small queues for security don't fit in the allocated space.

Review by (United States) 22nd March 2013

Although the design of the airport may have worked in the 70s when it was built today's security requirements make many of the airport's spaces either cramped or abandoned. The first floor gates have ugly dividers corralling the gates creating narrow bottlenecks in the passageways. Meanwhile the entire second floor is completely abandoned with old ceiling tiles laying about. In general it isn't a very welcoming design.

Review by (United States) 27th October 2012

Aesthetically Honolulu Airport is a throwback to the 70s. For a place that is supposed to welcome people to a tropical paradise it is heavy and dark concrete architecture. There needs to be more wood greenery and updates to the fixtures. If you are taking Hawaiian Airlines to a connecting neighbor island flight be prepared to walk if you are in the far terminal where some mainland and international flights are parked. Its even a farther walk (or ride on the Wiki-wiki shuttle) if you're on Alaska Airlines. Our flight from Seattle parked at the far terminal and we had less than an hour to our connecting flight to Hilo. It was a mad dash with several co-passengers in tow scrambling for directions. Fortunately we made it in time. The airport is trying to make improvements and there are better dining options along with more shopping for people waiting at the gates for their flight. You may want to eat before coming to the airport as prices are steep. Its really nice to hear announcements in Hawaiian too which reminds you this is Hawaii after all.

Review by (New Zealand) 12th September 2012

Although they are trying to improve the airport at least in a cosmetic sense it has to be once of the worst designs ever with marathon hikes to go anywhere and dark dingy areas which are truly hideous. Having come and gone through Honolulu some 12 times since early 2011 I can at least say that the immigration security and customs people are generally pleasant and polite this not always being the case in the US who generally have some of the rudest and surliest officials on earth! Officiousness and coldness are general characteristics elsewhere in my experience over 50 years plus of travel. Since I spend a lot of time in Hawaii where I own a home there is at least a bit of a positive here.

Review by (United States) 15th July 2011

I was amazed that a city so known for its tourism has such an outdated airport. Someone wrote that the decor was 1980's I would say it looks like vintage 1960's or 70's. The bathrooms looked as old in disrepair and with filthy floors. There is no free wifi nor could I find a place to charge up my electronics. You have to get around on a clunky bus shuttle between terminals and there are no good restaurants out by the gates. I ate literally the worst sandwich of my life at the Quiznos subs; it was total (overpriced) lump of mush. It's not even possible to buy a bag of normal packaged pretzels at the newstand just a tiny zip-lock bag of them for $5. Positives: you can buy leis upon arrival and even the security staff had that friendly aloha spirit.

Review by (United States) 14th May 2011

Whoever designed this airport must not have been thinking too clearly or had very little background in airport design. This is without a doubt one of the world's most confusing illogical places to depart arrive or change planes. There is no sensible flow from one part of the airport to the other. Gates are scattered about in a way that makes it difficult to get from one to the other. Transport between terminals via Wiki-Wiki shuttle is inefficient. Arriving internationally involved the longest walk imaginable from the gate to customs. No signage at all after clearing customs for onward journeys on domestic flights. They should tear it down and start over.