Hong Kong Airport

Review by (Hong Kong) 1st July 2015

The basic airport services are becoming worse and worse. For arriving passengers, we had to wait a relatively long time for the opening of the aircraft door opening once the plane had stopped, the opening of the second cabin door took even longer (after almost two thirds of the passengers had disembarked). During the rush hour, we waited for a long time to get our baggage from the carousel. Also, due to lack of main terminal parking bays, we sometimes needed to take the shuttle bus to and from those outer bays or the remote satellite terminal, which was an inconvenience to us.
Date Visit01-07-2015

Review by (Philippines) 26th June 2015

It's clean with plenty of toilets and there are lots of computers with free internet. Everything seems to shut at around 11pm even though there a lot of flights into the early hours. On my return (8am), I couldn't find a shop selling soft drinks nor a kiosk or coffee shop with tea, coffee or hot chocolate (but I could have bought dozens of handbags, bottles of perfume etc). The only place signposted turned out to be closed.
Date Visit26-06-2015

Review by (Hong Kong) 10th April 2015

I arrived in Hong Kong during Easter on a morning flight from Singapore. The entire flow was as smooth as anyone can imagine. The CX flight was allocated at one of the closest gates to immigration and our baggage came out within 20 mins of waiting. As always the airport offered many transportation options. It only took us 40mins from landing to taxi stand and another 30-40mins home. Efficiency is key!

Review by (Australia) 8th April 2015

Great Airport in terms of efficiency and shopping. Plenty of late night snacks as well as some solid meals for lunch can easily be found. I had a 1:35hr layover from CX100 to KA996 (To Beijing) with lots of time for shopping relaxing and eating. Travelators make getting from Gate21 to Gate 506 quick and easy. After a late night snack of ramen and security I headed to gate 506. Although this was in a separate section of the Airport the MiniShuttle made the trip around five minutes long (including waiting). Overall one of my best airports efficient and convenient for a layover customer. Highly Recommended excelling in all areas.

Review by (Vietnam) 6th April 2015

I had a transit here and this airport is really huge. I had to take a bus first to another terminal then walked around a mile then a train again and another hundred of meters to the gate. But the staff picked me up was excellent they took me through all the gates and without them it is almost impossible for me in time.

Review by (United States) 3rd April 2015

Honestly not a fan. I make the long trek to Western China every couple of months for 10-12 days and seem to always book through HKG on the way home from Chengdu. I find the layout totally bizarre and very odd to navigate. Security staff are not downright rude but totally disinterested. Shopping is very ample but rather repetitive and pricey. Like other US residents I despise the no liquids bigger than 3oz. rule even in hand luggage. For a 14-15 hour flight I would really like to be able to bring a large water bottle onboard. But it is the same on all Trans-Pacific flights that take me home so it's not totally fair to hold this against HKG. All in all after 3 trips in a row through HKG will be using PEK now that AA has added direct service to/from my home city of DFW. HKG is not the worst but far from the darling I see so frequently mentioned. I will take Toronto-Pearson every day of the week!

Review by (United States) 4th March 2015

I have travelled through Hong Kong International Airport numerous times. Most of the experiences have been pleasant until recently. 1). Customs: As I was going through departure security check point I was asked to show my bag after the bag scan. The staff there dug through my toiletry bag with his dirty gloves without informing of what he's looking for. Firstly things in toiletry bags are generally more personal. It would be much more pleasant if he could ask before taking them out. Secondly those gloves he's wearing were protecting him but had touched luggage and many other things it would be much cleaner if they could have been more considerate and asked the passenger to show the items inside (at least I would have gladly done so) instead of running his gloves through the items inside and leaving prints on them. Thirdly that wasn't the bag that he was looking for. Eventually he told me what he was looking for and I took it out for him right away. Wish he could have communicated that at the very beginning. That way it would be more efficient and much more pleasant (and sanitary of course). 2). Immigration: I've noticed that recently immigration staff at HKG would throw a passenger's passport back at the end of immigration check. I had seen such behaviour at other airports before but never at HKG until recently. Hopefully that's just one singular rare event. Although the immigration officer was skilled enough to have the passport still land on the desk I would much rather my passport not being thrown around at all.

Review by (France) 26th January 2015

I cannot understand how this airport gets such consistently good reviews. I found it large disorienting and illogical. I wanted to do two simple things. On arrival I wanted to withdraw some money from an HSBC ATM. Three different members of staff indicated where they thought it was. There is an HSBC Premier branch in Arrivals but it was closed and there is no ATM machine outside. I ended up in Departures and finally found one. One hour wasted to withdraw some HKD. On Departures I wanted to buy some last minute souvenirs. Apart from in a newsstand there is almost nothing. What is it with all these people raving about the shopping here Hermes Dior Louis Vuitton and Rolex are not the kind of shops I consider good local shopping - they are the same all over the world. The only good thing (and I will admit this is excellent) is being able to check-in downtown at Hong Kong Station and only having to catch the great Express train later.

Review by (United Kingdom) 10th December 2014

Terminal 1 to and from DOH with CX. The usual long queues at immigration yet (as always) it never seems to take more than 10 minutes to clear immigration. Bags on the belt about 15 minutes after landing. The airport is still as clean and efficient as it has always been. In-town check-in still works incredibly well. Another positive is that some of the seating in the departure area immediately after immigration has returned - this is much-needed seating. Little else has changed since my last visit to Hong Kong but the airport is still a pleasurable experience and still way ahead of European airports.

Review by (Thailand) 4th December 2014

Bangkok to Hong Kong return. This airport always amazes me of how quick and smooth everything works when you contemplate on the size and the volume of incoming and departing flights! Arrival a breeze. Hong Kong border officers do not stamp your passports any more. All is scanned in their systems and you get a small 4x4cm square paper with your passport info arrival and length of permitted stay. All takes a few moments. Many if not all airports in Asia and the west now seem so sluggish compared. Departures as well a breeze including security check. Train from and to the city is quick and clean. Wifi working and reasonable speed. Being in Bangkok its all the opposite here with extreme long walks and snail's pace passport control and wifi that never really worked.