Best Economy Class Seats

Heraklion Airport

"experience at Heraklion says 1960's"

My mobile shows 2016, but our experience at Heraklion airport says 1960's. On arrival, bussed from the plane to the building and the luggage arrived in dribs and drabs as it was shuttled in batches. Directed to a bus in a car park full of buses at night. The number was given, but it was down to us to weave in and out with luggage to find the bus..On departure (hot early evening), we queued with luggage outside, then this queue entered a non-airconned building. Having queued once to have your luggage weighed, then you have to take your luggage back again and join another queue for x-ray. No signs at all. Then another queue for passport, and then the insane departure lounge - nowhere enough seats. Once gate announced, queue again, then down stairs to bus-across tarmac. Know how those baked beans feel in the microwave. Only technology that seems to have reached here are the electric handdryers in the loos. With all the money coming thru Crete this is a joke and reviews from 2005 all say the same. Loved the holiday - hated the 'welcome' and 'goodbye' - they will last as long as the good bits.
Date VisitJune 2016

"a very unpleasant experience"

Heraklion airport is amongst the worst I have been too - could not sit down, get a drink or anything to eat. Duty free was absolutely packed, it was so hot the sweat was dripping off everyone. Given the wrong boarding gate information at check in. It was just overall a very unpleasant experience. Crete was fantastic, but will never go again because of this.
Date VisitJune 2016

"everything unprofessional and untidy"

I was not impressed with this airport and wouldn't want to come back to it anytime soon. My flight from Athens to London Gatwick had a 1hr 15 min change over here. Despite it being such a small airport I found it harder to get to my second flight than if I were at Gatwick or Athens as the signage wasn't very clear/well positioned. In the end I had to ask a member of staff how to get to my next flight. He implied that I have to go all the way out and then through departures again - there's no "transfer corridor". I didn't have a problem with a lack of transfer flight corridor as I had a feeling that this airport is not really a transfer kind of place but even putting aside my difficulty getting to my next flight, my general feeling of the airport was that everything was very unprofessional and untidy. The airport seems to be haphazardly run and it's not so much a want of money but rather the management in my opinion, that creates this sloppy impression. Crete looked like a beautiful island from the plane, but the airport was a let down.
Date VisitMay 2016

Heraklion Airport customer review

This airport is just about as bad as it gets. Love Crete, but arrival, and especially departure, is chaotic. Add the fact that my wife is disabled and needs wheelchair assistance - which is virtually non-existent here - you get an impossible situation. Queue ages for check in, then queue again with your cases for security scanning. Then a long walk to departure queue at the opposite end of the airport. When disabled passengers board, they are left until last, holding everyone up. The place needs a rebuild, a clean up, and selling to an operator who knows how to handle plane loads of passengers.
Date VisitJune 2015

Heraklion Airport customer review

Absolutely dire and disgusting. Unfriendly check in staff. Poor air con very warm throughout. Not enough seating for all the flights departing. Filthy toilets. Only two outlets for food which didnt serve anything they had on the menu, only hot dogs, chips and warmed up burgers. Very poor service, would like to have seen some fresh food. No airport staff around cleaning up the filthy tables strewn with rubbish. No one on hand to speak to or complain too. Flight didnt leave on time and staff didn't seem to care or know what they were doing.
Date VisitAugust 2015

Heraklion Airport customer review

By far the worst airport I've visited. Arrival was relatively painless with quick baggage reclaim and clear transfer information. However, on departing we had to queue outside the terminal building in temperatures over forty degrees. On entering we stood in a queue that barely moved before having to stand in another queue to actually put suitcases through X-Ray - despite having checked in online. Not a single table wasn't covered in rubbish, food and spilt drink. Dogs were running around the terminal and the toilets were grim. Then, the TV screen kept changing the flight time to an earlier departure which was entirely inaccurate. Lights constantly flickering. Would not return to Crete for this reason.
Date VisitAugust 2015

(Greece)

I passed through on my way back to Athens. The airport reminded me of Greece in the eighties. Over flowing rubbish bins, filthy toilets and extremely rude staff who just presume that no foreigner could ever possibly understand Greek and feel free to say what they want about costumer. I only hope that all negative reviews are taken in consideration and management learn to chose staff wisely in order to represent this beautiful country in a deserving manner.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Heraklion Airport customer review

The airport is a dump and needs some money spending on it. The toilets are disgusting smelly and no toilet paper. After security there was one cafe with 2 people servicing a huge long line of people. Other than the Duty Free shop here was no other shops. You couldn't even buy a newspaper! It has very few screens showing your flights and you can hardly hear announcements. Awful place.

Heraklion Airport customer review

Departing from this airport approx. 19.00 hours Friday 27th September. Crowded large queues ridiculous method of booking in your luggage to be handed it back so you can take it to another queue to have it X-rayed. The staff seem unable to organise anything and end up arguing with each other. Making your way across the concourse is almost impossible with the queues reaching the back wall and totally blocking access. I really liked Crete but the departure experience would probably stop me visiting the country in the future. If the Airport is so busy they must be raking in the money but appear to have no interest in improving facilities. In conclusion it would appear that they are more interested in your money than your well-being. My son travelled on the same day but from Chania Airport and unbelievably his experience was even worse taking two and a half hours. Get your act together Crete we are not cattle we are your income.

Heraklion Airport customer review

Frankly as a gateway to wonderful Crete it is so 1960's. it needs some investment in infrastructure. Checked in for a flight to LHR via Geneva bag checked all the way but the check in clerk would not print me out a boarding pass for the Geneva/London sector. Reason no idea nor did the reason at swiss port desk I can only assume bloody mindedness. I guess I should be thankful the bag was checked through all the way even if I wasn't! Check in and then queue again to drop the bag off is just a pain. The whole place is dreary and drab and the staff would clearly rather be elsewhere. I wanted a coffee and the chap just looked at me continued to stack his shelf and made me wait. Athens airport by contrast is great Heraklion one of the worst airports I have ever used (Cairo domestic the very worst). Do they realise that first and last impressions of a place are often what people take home with them as defining memory's. Come on Heraklion sort it out for the benefit of your own business. Remember we have a choice.