Helsinki Vantaa Airport

Review by (Finland) 25th June 2015

Everything works well and smoothly if you depart from Helsinki or have a domestic/Schengen to Schengen or non-Schengen connection. At peak times there might be long wait for passport control if not able to use automated passport gates. Usually security control staff is pleasant for departing passangers on terminal 2. If you are on transit from non-Schengen flight to Schengen flight then its not so smooth anymore. There's no more fast lane or priority lane security so I wonder how it's possible to make your connecting flight with minimum connecting time. I made it to my connecting flight but I had 1 hrs and 20 min to spare but wouldn't have made it if I only had 50 min. Still too many bus gate arrivals on long-haul flight during afternoon peak time. And there are too many smelly and dirty toilets around terminal 2. Clean ones can be found upstars at gates 26-27 and around gate 31 on Schengen side. Non-Schengen side is better as there's no smelly toilet. Still Finavia should focus more of making a passanger experience more pleasant than focusing on renting more space for duty free shops and selling ads on the walls around terminal buildings.
Date Visit25-06-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 31st May 2015

Taxi times at the moment on arrival are long as one of the main runways is closed. Security staff were smiling and friendly and baggage delivery prompt enough. On departure you check-in downstairs and then go through security on the upper level. T2 appeared newer and spacious but T1 which is where I departed from is the opposite. The check- in area is in the old part of the building with low ceiling and limited lighting. Once through security there are only a handful and shops and even fewer seats even near the gate areas. The gates between the terminals are interconnected so it was easy to see even in the newer area things are not much better. Its a shame that given its nice location surrounded by pine forests Vantaa is poor in relation to other Scandinavian airports I've used (Stockholm Arlanda Oslo Gardermoen and Copenhagen Kastrup) which are so much better.

Review by (Australia) 17th March 2015

I use HEL twice a year transiting to and from Asia. Almost always a good quick experience. It's expensive but what airport isn't? The recent building has left the transit signage a bit poorer but I am sure they'll fix it quickly. One surprise recently on CPH-HEL-SIN was no transit security from Schengen to non-schengen!

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th February 2015

Arrived from LHR on Finnair. Pilot bumped into air-bridge when trying to park. They eventually brought some ice covered steps to the rear of the aircraft and bussed us to terminal. Long queue for taxi at 11.30 pm in the freezing winter weather. On return I had business class Finnair ticket and boarding pass which said "priority" boarding but was told couldn't use priority security because I had booked the ticket through the BA website and it was "sold as" a BA flight. Told to go upstairs to another (un-signposted) security area and joined a 20 minute queue. When got through security terminal was heaving - not enough space to move and they play that money-grabbing trick of making you snake through the duty free shop to get to the gates. Fortunately had Finnair lounge access which was very good. Turned out it was a bus to the aircraft. Bus was crammed and waited ages at aircraft before letting passengers off. Tarmac hadn't been de-iced and was quite treacherous. 5 mins outside in the freezing weather to queue to get on the aircraft. Flight itself was very good.

Review by (Norway) 27th July 2014

On arrival experienced planes parking on the tarmac and passengers were being bussed to the terminal. Nothing wrong with the practice except that all passengers were rammed into just one bus making it more crowded than Tokyo tube during rush hour. What an unpleasant end to a journey!

Review by (Finland) 20th July 2014

Helsinki is a great airport because it took us maximum 10 minutes to get our luggage dropped and go through the security check. The prices are sky high so that's a minus but otherwise Helsinki Airport is great.

Review by (United Kingdom) 30th June 2014

Fortunately I had plenty of time between flights. However the security checks on transferring took far too long. About half an hour. The food and drink prices are extortionate and selection poor. Otherwise the airport is very clean and not too busy. The cafe tables were nearly all vacant but littered with leftovers. Bring your own sandwiches!

Review by (Canada) 10th May 2014

Loved this airport! Very quiet efficient and comfortable. After a trans-ocean flight from North America I decompressed at the comfortable internet / computer kiosk and charged up my devices (take note Pearson and Munich!). Then left my luggage and took a 30 minute bus ride right downtown. My connecting flight did not leave until 8 pm. I spent a pleasurable and relaxing day downtown and easily took a bus back to the airport in plenty of time for my flight. Everyone spoke English and could explain connections bus fares - lovely experience.

Review by (Finland) 10th April 2014

I use this airport about 40 times a year. Its clean not congested and the variety of shops is good. There is plenty of seating and bags arrive on time. But staff are extremely unhelpful. Perfect example is that Helsinki is one of the very few places where children's pushchairs and sometimes even wheelchairs are sent straight to the conveyor belt and not brought to the gate making it very difficult for people traveling with kids to move around. This happened to my disabled family member just yesterday his wheelchair was not brought to the gate but taken downstairs to the luggage room as if he a severely disabled person could walk the 500m journey to the passport check and luggage room although he has never walked before. When I told the ground staff they should be more careful when sorting out luggage - my relative's chair was in a transparent bag and clearly a wheelchair and labelled as "gate delivery" - the young lady working for the airport was extremely rude. Very rude and confusing.

Review by (United Kingdom) 5th March 2014

I have used this airport 3 times over last few years and the recent time was February this year on transit to TMP. This airport has some negative and positive sides in my opinion. On arrival into HEL to connect to a flight to TMP within a very tight schedule I nearly missed my connecting flight due to long queue at immigration counters (all international arrivals at the same time). Airport staff did nothing to help those with tight connection time and were pretty hopeless. I were told that if I missed my connecting flight the airline would put me on the next available flight. Why can't they have a designated line/counter for passengers with tight connecting time? At the end I was running to my gate and was one of the last remaining passengers to board the connecting bus to remote aircraft stand. If they want to become a better transit airport in Europe either they need to look into this or Finnair cannot sell ticket with short connecting time (45 mins). On the plus side it offers relaxation lounge with sleeping cells for passengers. Yes you can actually lay down on a hotel-style bed and sleep with curtain lowered down for privacy! I have used many airports around the globe and this is the best offering an airport has offered so far. HEL really impress me with this amazing offer for transit passengers.