Guatemala Airport

Review by (Bangladesh) 22nd July 2015

It's not a big airport, but clean and good. However, there is not much signage.
Date Visit22-07-2015

Review by (United States) 19th November 2012

The airport itself is nice as others have commented. I travel through here about once a month and the new terminal is very comfortable and pleasant. However the local security is capricious at best. They seem to give security agents very little guidance but a huge amount of leeway. I have had toothpaste confiscated (no pastes they said) a bar of soap (no soaps they said) and the list goes on and on. I am all for reasonable and tight security but it seems like every trip I have a random item confiscated. And it is not just me I see it happen to others all the time too.

Review by (Guatemala) 3rd May 2012

Very nice modern airport since it has been recently renovated. The terminal is huge. Good duty free shops and good air-conditioning. Nice staff everything is very clean. Fast and easy security screening.

Review by (United States) 5th April 2011

Guatemala Airport is a clean well maintained airport. Decent choice of food vendors easy check. At the time I was departing the departure and arrivals board was malfunctioning.

Review by 18th June 2010

Guatemala's new airport is now a very pleasant experience especially when I consider how it was twenty years ago. Agents security and all support staff are friendly and helpful. Clean. Simple but adequate eating options. Spacious and comfortable. Still short-handed on personnel in most every area which makes for long waits if several flights arrive at the same time. Customs recently has gone into overdrive searching for anything they can tax.

Review by 28th March 2010

Changed planes at GUA enroute from ORD to SJO and return in March 2010 so cannot address check-in customs or security but it was an easy place to change planes. The airport was spacious with plenty of seating and shopping. Duty free was reasonable ($9 for liter of Stoli) and staff friendly. There were a few places to eat and prices were reasonable by airport standards ($1 for water as opposed to $3 in SJO). The bathrooms were clean although the toilets in the men's room didn't seem to have seats. Otherwise a very pleasant place to spend 90 minutes.

Review by 18th February 2009

Guatemala City's airport has improved greatly from when I was younger. There are more check-in counters and more gates available. Everything clean and well-maintained. Bathrooms which used to be a gamble are now clean. The airport is small so everything is close together and easy to navigate. The new duty free and other boutiques are a welcome change from the "mercado central" feel the shopping area used to have. Customs and migration are simple and the staff are easy to deal with. The only issue I have with this airport is the security personnel. While I understand that all airports have slightly different security measures (Buenos Aires airport doesn't let you take water on the plane even if you bought it after the security checkpoint - ridiculous!) Guatemala's seem particularly arbitrary and not enforced in an even-handed manner. For example the rule is liquids must be in containers holding less than three ounces and in a plastic bag. I forgot the plastic bag detail this time around. After opening the bag and seeing its contents they insisted on the plastic bag. I didn't have one and unlike other airports they didn't offer one and couldn't tell me where to find one. Plus I was running to catch an AA flight (the time had been changed without informing passengers) so I couldn't conduct a search. I resigned myself to having to leave the two oils and cream behind. The security guy took the cream but not the oils as well as a deodorant which of course is technically a solid and should have been left with me. My lesson is learned: pack toiletries in their plastic bags and carry extras in case security is not placated. But I will never know exactly what version of TSA rules Guatemala uses. personnel could stand to be nicer as well. Even the security staff in Miami are nicer.

Review by 9th February 2009

Just back from Guatemala I was very impressed with the airport. It was spacious clean and well organised. It has a small volume of passengers but is perfectly adequate with friendly helpful staff. A very positive experience!

Review by 29th August 2007

The newly built North Finger has 14 new gates great shopping/eating and a very modern atmosphere. The original terminal building has been upgraded and expanded restoring much of the appeal it had lost since its construction in the 1960s. It is a beautiful piece of architecture. Overcrowding has been eliminated at check-in thanks to 100 new check-in counters. The remodeling is ongoing and will be complete in November 2007. A new Central Finger (under construction) will add 6 more gates for medium- sized jets or 4 gates for 747s and Airbus A340s.

Review by 7th February 2006

Overall it is a nice airport with some things to offer. Upon arrival we normally are to our ground transportation within an hour of landing. Immigration takes less than 20 minutes and our luggage has always arrived quickly thereafter. Departing there are some very nice and inexpensive little shops just below the main terminal. My wife and I always save a few quatzales to spend here because we tend to find some unique items. The food is limited but there are some good pastries and excellent coffee for that early morning flight. Yes some updating and general housekeeping may be needed but a good experience overall.