Guatemala Airport

"food venues open early early AM"

Trip Verified | 15 mins WIFI free, then you have to buy. Wow 3rd world country indeed. Gate waiting chairs / benches are hard as rock. Have the seat dividers so you can't lay down. Loud Speaker announcements are totally not-understandable. Duty free is delivered on gangway, not given to you when you purchase. Was impressed to see food venues open early early AM (4:00). Selections in Duty Free fairly limited. Other mostly touristy knick-knack so so.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"confiscating people's belongings"

Not Verified | I was interested to read a couple of other reviews of Guatemala airport mentioning that random items had been confiscated at security, as this was also my experience and it marred an otherwise positive impression. After X-ray scanning, a guard asked to search my bag and I cooperated fully. He pulled out my small nail file and a pair of safety scissors with 2cm round-ended blades, and confiscated both items. He then added insult to injury by smiling and saying, "Is OK?" as he dropped them through the slot. I'm an experienced traveller and both of the items that were taken had been through numerous other security checks on many previous occasions, including in countries with reputations for being especially strict. The episode left me and my partner feeling irritated and grumpy, as it was so unnecessary. I would never have any problem at all with established security rules being enforced, but La Aurora should ensure that individual officers aren't confiscating people's belongings on the basis of arbitrary and unfounded personal decisions.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

Guatemala Airport customer review

This is the only airport where I encountered street vendors positioning themselves outside the terminal building hustling passengers with trinkets and snacks. Departure from this airport was far from trouble free. There were numerous passport checks along the way: at the entrance to the terminal, at check in (naturally), prior to entering the departure hall, at passport control (naturally), at security check, and on my way to the departure gate, I was stopped by a policeman who demanded to see my passport. He ran his fingers over the pages of my passport and then asked how much money I had. This unusual request unnerved me so I asked him why he needed to know how much money I had with me. He relented and returned the passport to me. Then at the departure gate, a further passport check and the emptying of all hand luggage for a thorough check including the lining of the case. I was glad to leave the airport.
Date VisitJuly 2015

(Bangladesh)

It's not a big airport, but clean and good. However, there is not much signage.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Guatemala Airport customer review

The airport itself is nice as others have commented. I travel through here about once a month and the new terminal is very comfortable and pleasant. However the local security is capricious at best. They seem to give security agents very little guidance but a huge amount of leeway. I have had toothpaste confiscated (no pastes they said) a bar of soap (no soaps they said) and the list goes on and on. I am all for reasonable and tight security but it seems like every trip I have a random item confiscated. And it is not just me I see it happen to others all the time too.

(Guatemala)

Very nice modern airport since it has been recently renovated. The terminal is huge. Good duty free shops and good air-conditioning. Nice staff everything is very clean. Fast and easy security screening.

Guatemala Airport customer review

Guatemala Airport is a clean well maintained airport. Decent choice of food vendors easy check. At the time I was departing the departure and arrivals board was malfunctioning.

Guatemala Airport customer review

Guatemala's new airport is now a very pleasant experience especially when I consider how it was twenty years ago. Agents security and all support staff are friendly and helpful. Clean. Simple but adequate eating options. Spacious and comfortable. Still short-handed on personnel in most every area which makes for long waits if several flights arrive at the same time. Customs recently has gone into overdrive searching for anything they can tax.

Guatemala Airport customer review

Changed planes at GUA enroute from ORD to SJO and return in March 2010 so cannot address check-in customs or security but it was an easy place to change planes. The airport was spacious with plenty of seating and shopping. Duty free was reasonable ($9 for liter of Stoli) and staff friendly. There were a few places to eat and prices were reasonable by airport standards ($1 for water as opposed to $3 in SJO). The bathrooms were clean although the toilets in the men's room didn't seem to have seats. Otherwise a very pleasant place to spend 90 minutes.

Guatemala Airport customer review

Guatemala City's airport has improved greatly from when I was younger. There are more check-in counters and more gates available. Everything clean and well-maintained. Bathrooms which used to be a gamble are now clean. The airport is small so everything is close together and easy to navigate. The new duty free and other boutiques are a welcome change from the "mercado central" feel the shopping area used to have. Customs and migration are simple and the staff are easy to deal with. The only issue I have with this airport is the security personnel. While I understand that all airports have slightly different security measures (Buenos Aires airport doesn't let you take water on the plane even if you bought it after the security checkpoint - ridiculous!) Guatemala's seem particularly arbitrary and not enforced in an even-handed manner. For example the rule is liquids must be in containers holding less than three ounces and in a plastic bag. I forgot the plastic bag detail this time around. After opening the bag and seeing its contents they insisted on the plastic bag. I didn't have one and unlike other airports they didn't offer one and couldn't tell me where to find one. Plus I was running to catch an AA flight (the time had been changed without informing passengers) so I couldn't conduct a search. I resigned myself to having to leave the two oils and cream behind. The security guy took the cream but not the oils as well as a deodorant which of course is technically a solid and should have been left with me. My lesson is learned: pack toiletries in their plastic bags and carry extras in case security is not placated. But I will never know exactly what version of TSA rules Guatemala uses. personnel could stand to be nicer as well. Even the security staff in Miami are nicer.